Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Lonzo Bust is currently on pace for the worst single-season TS% in the last 50 years:

http://bkref.com/tiny/RNZJ1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How in the is this dude better than Jordan and Curry Mr. Lavar Ball??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...but, he plays better than average D and he's going to get better.

LOL, just more residual from Kobe ing this franchise beyond death.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there's anything in sports quite like the fall of the Lakers. Thanks Kobe.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...but, he plays better than average D and he's going to get better.

LOL, just more residual from Kobe ing this franchise beyond death.
    I don't think there's anything in sports quite like the fall of the Lakers. Thanks Kobe.
    tbh

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Why is he taking 7 threes in a game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is he taking 7 threes in a game?
    They're probably trying to develop his shot on the job. As we know, if a PG doesn't have a 3 point shot today, he won't hack it.

Also, players like Longo is why NBA teams desperately need to implement some kind of farm/development system ( D-League). There's maybe only 1 or 2 rookies per year who are truly ready for the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    He's fine. Almost a triple double on a back to back. He's also playing in the wrong system and it doesn't help when his teammates can't shoot.

Like most of your threads Mid, this one will come back to haunt you buddy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's fine. Almost a triple double on a back to back. He's also playing in the wrong system and it doesn't help when his teammates can't shoot.

Per game rebounding and assists stats.

Longo won't be anything in the NBA until a knockdown 3 point jumpshot is developed, preferably one off the dribble.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

He's ing shooting 28%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is a bust, plain and simple.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

Lonzo's on track for the worst single-season TS% in at least the last 50 years. If you're a guard who can't shoot in today's league, you're basically a dinosaur. Don't really care about how many assists and rebounds he pads when he can't shoot or score reliably. And with how broken his mechanics are, there's a good chance he'll never be able to do that. Which means he's not worth the #2 overall pick and certainly shouldn't be leading his team in touches per game and time of possession - especially by such huge margins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How is a fast paced offense with a lot of ball movement a bad system for Ball? If that's a bad system for him, he has no place on the league, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonzo's on track for the worst single-season TS% in at least the last 50 years. If you're a guard who can't shoot in today's league, you're basically a dinosaur. Don't really care about how many assists and rebounds he pads when he can't shoot or score reliably. And with how broken his mechanics are, there's a good chance he'll never be able to do that. Which means he's not worth the #2 overall pick and certainly shouldn't be leading his team in touches per game and time of possession - especially by such huge margins.
    He needs to mitigate his terrible jumpshooting by getting to the rim and to the line.

Oh wait, he can't do that either

When I watched Fox continually blow by him in the tournament and Longo struggle to go back at Fox, I knew his lack of explosiveness would be a problem at this level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't follow college basketball at all. How did Lonzo get to be considered so high? I want an honest answer, not some trolling like "cos Magic suck blah, blah Lavar Ball blah, blah".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, it's doubtful Longo will ever be to able to develop an explosive dribble-drive game. He just lacks the natural athleticism. It's also doubtful he'll be able to develop a great off the dribble shooting game for the same reasons. Big, yet slower guards, like Lonzo have traditionally fared better in the post. When Magic lost a step, he went to the post. Kidd was a greater worker in the post (Kidd wasn't slow, but he used post-play to off-set his terrible shooting). Andre Miller could post. Gary Payton, a tall guard for his era, could post. Lonzo should follow that template.

Oh, post-play from any position doesn't work anymore

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I don't follow college basketball at all. How did Lonzo get to be considered so high? I want an honest answer, not some trolling like "cos Magic suck blah, blah Lavar Ball blah, blah".
    He played for a big-name, elite college program that gets a lot of attention. His shooting actually looked decent against college defenses, with the shorter three-point line. He was also the basketball equivalent of all the read-option QBs who play in dumbed-down offenses in college football. UCLA ran an extremely simple halfcourt offense where all he had to do was pass the ball to whoever was coming off a pindown screen. This masked his inability to do anything more complicated than that in the halfcourt. And he had a couple flashy highlight-reel passes in transition. All of this was enough to fool Magic's dumb ass into drafting him.
    Last edited by Clipper Nation; 11-10-2017 at 12:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really have no clue. First time I watched him, I was unimpressed. I would guess scouts probably liked his size, length, and court vision. He also had a good 3 point shooting percentage in college, but it's obviously from a closer line and against players who will be accountants and lawyers in a couple of years. Kawhi's evolution has made me believe anything is possible. As we know, Kawhi was a very rough prospect with just average NBA athleticism per his position without a clue how to shoot, but he learned how to maximize his one advantage he had over other players: length. Lonzo has length over pretty much every PG, so it's possible he can turn that into an advantage on both ends. Unsure how he'll do it offensively other than becoming a post-up guard, which is an hetical to today's style.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Anyhow, it's doubtful Longo will ever be to able to develop an explosive dribble-drive game. He just lacks the natural athleticism. It's also doubtful he'll be able to develop a great off the dribble shooting game for the same reasons. Big, yet slower guards, like Lonzo have traditionally fared better in the post. When Magic lost a step, he went to the post. Kidd was a greater worker in the post (Kidd wasn't slow, but he used post-play to off-set his terrible shooting). Andre Miller could post. Gary Payton, a tall guard for his era, could post. Lonzo should follow that template.

Oh, post-play from any position doesn't work anymore
    Lonzo posted up on only 0.8% of his posessions in college, tbh. It's never been part of his game. He's too weak and too soft, and it's just not as common for point guards to post up anymore. Westbrook and Livingston are the only ones who come to mind that do it on a semi-regular basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the answers.

To me it's really strange, I saw some highlights of him when everybody was hyping him up last season and I couldn't see a single thing that caught my attention. One or two passes here and there but nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonzo posted up on only 0.8% of his posessions in college, tbh. It's never been part of his game. He's too weak and too soft, and it's just not as common for point guards to post up anymore. Westbrook and Livingston are the only ones who come to mind that do it on a semi-regular basis.
    Indeed. Post play is dead at all positions. That's why the future for Longo looks bleak. If this was 2001, Lonzo would be the hottest rookie in the NBA. An indefensible 6'6" postup (he would've developed that skill back them in lieu of chucking 3s off a broken shot) guard that would kill in that half-court/slow-it-down era. His vision would be a huge asset in threading all the packed defenses in that era. People were sky-high on Livingston before the injury for the same reasons, as I'm sure you remember. But the modern game has made his strengths into weaknesses. "Court vision" isn't as important today. Spacing is big enough that any average passer can find guys anywhere on the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

Longo won't be anything in the NBA until a knockdown 3 point jumpshot is developed, preferably one off the dribble.
    And he’ll get there. His shooting woes is all mental. He’s even missing his freebies and wide open layups. Bump this next year and I’ll accept your apologies, sir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he’ll get there. His shooting woes is all mental. He’s even missing his freebies and wide open layups. Bump this next year and I’ll accept your apologies, sir.
    Post editing is pretty weak son. You made a bad call, you own up to it, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    If you weed out all the sideshows (Lavar, Magic) you’ll appreciate how Lonzo carried UCLA from a 15-17 record to a 3rd seed in the tournament. He never was a scorer but he does everything well at an elite level.

Thread Information