Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad it failed. Why replace one ty law with another ty law? Let ACA go through its death spiral.
    Trump will make a deal with the Democrats at that time. It will be way left of where this proposal was. That one will not stop expansion of able-bodied Medicaid expansion like this one did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. They will split on tax cuts and some democrats will cross over too.
    On Tax Cuts? Democrats have no reason to work with the GOP on partisan like that. Nancy Pelosi knows how to whip her crew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bannon president not trump

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump will make a deal with the Democrats at that time. It will be way left of where this proposal was. That one will not stop expansion of able-bodied Medicaid expansion like this one did.
    It should be. His campaign promise was way left of this bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Tax Cuts? Democrats have no reason to work with the GOP on partisan like that. Nancy Pelosi knows how to whip her crew.
    You are such a partisan tool. They WILL force a vote on tax cuts when they finally get around to it. There are a bunch of democrats up for reelection in 2018 that won't want to have to go home and explain why they voted for higher taxes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That will collapse the individual market. You can't just wish away what has been done.

That's what they are trying to do. The freedom caucus is demanding things that lose the moderates and vice versa. And the things the far right want can't pass under reconciliation. Somehow they think some Senate democrats will go along their ideas which is delusional.

They should have gotten both sides together from the start and figured out what both sides agreed on and gone from there. Instead they wrote a ty bill and only tried to patch it up when it was clear the votes weren't there. It isn't just a Republican leadership issue, it's a Washington DC issue. Instead of working on things everyone can agree on they keep it as leverage to try and force something ty/not popular.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be. His campaign promise was way left of this bill.
    Well, that's why the Freedom Caucus was so stupid not to take the concessions he made - stopping Medicaid expansion moved up from 2020, getting rid of essential benefits, etc. Look, I understand their ideology philosophies, but they have to grab the opportunity when it presents itself - so what if it isn't everything you want - it won't ever be everything you want - better 75% what you want than nothing. How many Democrats are there in the House? Way more than these Freedom Caucus. Trump will have many more Democrats to make a deal with when Obamacare implodes and imo, he will - he's not ideological at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will - he's not ideological at all.
    I agree but I don't think Baseline does. And I don't think these freedom caucus guys understand that either. If Dems gain back power Trump will cut a deal with them and say it was his idea all along.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The taxpayers are the ones who will suffer under the GOP proposal failure - in particular, those in the states that chose to expand Medicaid. 2016 was the last year that the Feds paid 100% for the Medicaid expansion. The under estimation of enrollment and cost per enrollee will put a strain on state budgets which unlike the Feds can't just print money or add to the national debt. These states will either have to raise taxes or divert money from education, transportation, prisons, etc. So congratulations to those able-bodied people receiving Medicaid and subsidies and sympathy to the rest of us stuck with cost in the thousands of dollars per month for insurance (that's assuming you're in a county that offers insurance).

That Freedom Caucus can stick to their principles but IMO they will come to regret it. Instead of compromising and taking the deal, they turned down a chance to stop Medicaid expansion (which will be the eventual ruin of us) and extend those without (big) employer-sponsored insurance the same tax treatment (hurts small business). So what will happen now - Obamacare collapses to the point where people are screaming, Democrats come to the table, Trump makes a deal with them and the Freedom Caucus are worse off than if they had taken this deal - really dumb. I know this proposal took a leap of faith but you have to be a realist - take the deal, halt the insidious spread of Medicaid and piece by piece fight for those principles that will bring down costs e.g. a bill that does nothing but allow selling policies across state lines or one that does tort reform only. But that trust for steps 2 and 3 just weren't there and as I said earlier, Ryan should have had all this discussion behind closed doors a long time ago.

The republicans need to take a page out of the Democrats who are in lock step and unity - they went for ACA as a stepping stone to single payer and it now looks like they'll get there as this able bodied Medicaid becomes more and more entrenched.
    This Bill was a disaster, all this talk that Phase 2 and Phase 3 would have made it better is BS. Phase 3 would have required 60 Senate votes and that wasn't happening. There was nothing to be gained for the Freedom Caucus by passing it (they had a lot more to lose). If Moderates decide to bypass conservatives they will face primary challenges in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The approval rating of the president matters. Dear Leader crying wolf for months has made him so hated by the public and he was a cancer on the bill. I can't imagine there being the same mobilization in the town halls if this was President Pence trying to push this awful bill.
    Meh, a bunch of Democrats trolled GOP town halls. Tea party did the same thing years back.

The thing about the Dems getting their beloved health care bill -- in some degree, it contributed to them losing every branch of govt. Don't you think this was on the minds of house GOP today!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, a bunch of Democrats trolled GOP town halls. Tea party did the same thing years back.

The thing about the Dems getting their beloved health care bill -- in some degree, it contributed to them losing every branch of govt. Don't you think this was on the minds of house GOP today!
    Dude, Obamacare is more popular than Trump and the ill fated GOP health bill combined right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, Obamacare is more popular than Trump and the ill fated GOP health bill combined right now.
    GOP controls entire govt, in part, because of Obamacare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You think the country is shifting right, but I think it was more about Clinton being a horrible candidate everyone hated. If the country was really going right how is Obamacare at its highest approval rating? How is Obama so popular? You're nuts if you think the millions of people in the streets protesting and all the old white people complaining at the town halls didn't mean anything. You really believe those were all moveon.org trolls when the AHCA had a 17% approval rating?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree but I don't think Baseline does. And I don't think these freedom caucus guys understand that either. If Dems gain back power Trump will cut a deal with them and say it was his idea all along.
    I don't think Trump is an ideologue. I think he's someone with a beef against Obama for the way Obama humiliated him at that White House Correspondence Dinner when he started ragging on Trump as a lunatic conspiracy theorist. According to own staff that's when Trump decided he was going to run for president. You kept saying he was really a democrat but his actions since taking office have been pretty far right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP controls entire govt, in part, because of Obamacare.
    Too bad this is the present. Cant live in the past anymore Darrins.

Your republican party doesn't know how to lead. They're a bunch of scare yes man. The country is better off when Democrats are in power.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blaming the Dems!

Trash is such a piece of

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think the country is shifting right, but I think it was more about Clinton being a horrible candidate everyone hated. If the country was really going right how is Obamacare at its highest approval rating? How is Obama so popular? You're nuts if you think the millions of people in the streets protesting and all the old white people complaining at the town halls didn't mean anything. You really believe those were all moveon.org trolls when the AHCA had a 17% approval rating?
    Well Republican have the most control that they've had in almost a Century. Governors, State reps, US Senate and House, Presidency and soon the SC. I'm not sure how you can gloss over that and pretend Democrats haven't been done something wrong. Especially when they were handed a massive gift in Bush.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The country is shifting left - the young people have been indoctrinated by the public schools and colleges. Parents and society are to blame too - certificates and trophies for participation and diversity instead of personal responsibility, achievement and merit. But this election, the left went too far ignoring fly-over country and concentrating on the isms and some are sick and tired of them. I don't think that left or right has anything to do with Obamacare as far as the people are concerned. Whether right or left, everybody loves something for nothing. It's more a battle of the haves (older or working) vs the have nots (young or maybe unemployed or not great prospects). Many on the board see this expansion of Medicaid as a good thing. I don't. I am fine with Medicaid for kids, widows and the disabled - but NOT able-bodied people. They need to work for it just like all of us paying thousands for ours else resentment sets in.

These republicans need to develop a backbone. Like athletes, they need to make hay while the sun shines - make most of your time in the sun - that is NOW for republicans. Stop squabbling amongst yourself and get as much done as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Republican have the most control that they've had in almost a Century. Governors, State reps, US Senate and House, Presidency and soon the SC. I'm not sure how you can gloss over that and pretend Democrats haven't been done something wrong. Especially when they were handed a massive gift in Bush.
    Umm, nominating Clinton was a pretty huge mistake. The GOP stole that SC spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The country is shifting left - the young people have been indoctrinated by the public schools and colleges. Parents and society are to blame too - certificates and trophies for participation and diversity instead of personal responsibility, achievement and merit. But this election, the left went too far ignoring fly-over country and concentrating on the isms and some are sick and tired of them. I don't think that left or right has anything to do with Obamacare as far as the people are concerned. Whether right or left, everybody loves something for nothing. It's more a battle of the haves (older or working) vs the have nots (young or maybe unemployed or not great prospects). Many on the board see this expansion of Medicaid as a good thing. I don't. I am fine with Medicaid for kids, widows and the disabled - but NOT able-bodied people. They need to work for it just like all of us paying thousands for ours else resentment sets in.

These republicans need to develop a backbone. Like athletes, they need to make hay while the sun shines - make most of your time in the sun - that is NOW for republicans. Stop squabbling amongst yourself and get as much done as possible.
    Indoctrinated by public schools

Same old tired textbook rightwing crap from you always

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm, nominating Clinton was a pretty huge mistake. The GOP stole that SC spot.
    I dont think she would have stuck with Garland and the republicans would have rejected him anyway. But they would have been forced to at least give the guy a fair hearing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad this is the present. Cant live in the past anymore Darrins.

Your republican party doesn't know how to lead. They're a bunch of scare yes man. The country is better off when Democrats are in power.

Yeah, they lost power because of their "popular" policies.

Soak In Your Own Blood BanditHiro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I got this one wrong. The republican party is a mess.
    they are the party of obstructionism. They aren't built to govern. They are the dog that chased and caught the ambulance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are such a partisan tool. They WILL force a vote on tax cuts when they finally get around to it. There are a bunch of democrats up for reelection in 2018 that won't want to have to go home and explain why they voted for higher taxes.
    Those tax cuts will go mostly to the rich which is something democrats DON'T want. Republicans will have to do it on their own. But lucky for them, it's more simple than healthcare reform. Who would have thought healthcare could be so complicated?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they lost power because of their "popular" policies.
    They lost power because the right is easily conned. They bought into the repeal and replace heavy.

Turns out Obamacare is pretty decent compare to what these GOpers are coming with. lol

Thread Information