Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    McCombs was a car salesman. Everything was all about making money. The Alamodome was a big scam to make himself richer, to chain an anchor around the city, and to the Spurs out of a decent arena.
    Do you think this investment group still thinks that way? Still curious as to why they are interested and who let them in and why.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    McCombs are wealthy

The wealthy priority, (the is no secondary), is MORE WEALTH

My guess is they expect VW to raise the value of the franchise

so the McCombs investment, to be liquidated after a couple years, is for $100Ms profit
    Which seems to indicate they would want success from a basketball standpoint, not to usher Victor to LA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, they’ll continue to be satisfied with losing, just like their family has with every other team they’ve ever been part of. Thankfully, I don’t think they’ll have much influence.
    I really hope this is the case because the first thing I think of when I hear the McCombs name is the nixed Charles Barkley trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which seems to indicate they would want success from a basketball standpoint, not to usher Victor to LA.
    The want VW to anchor a winning franchise, push value to $3B

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The want VW to anchor a winning franchise, push value to $3B so they can cash out
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-22-2023 at 05:50 PM.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The want VW to anchor a winning franchise, push value to $3B
    That would require acquisition of more seasoned talent, not a fresh start will all no-names.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only vaguely remember the Barkley talk. What was the proposed trade? Was a deal in place?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably looking to cash in on that sweet welfare to billionaires through a new publicly funded arena when they have Victor who will probably be good enough to make this team a contender when that arena vote comes up in 4-5 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only vaguely remember the Barkley talk. What was the proposed trade? Was a deal in place?
    Supposedly TC and Willie Anderson. Could swear timvp was the source on that but could be wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope this is the case because the first thing I think of when I hear the McCombs name is the nixed Charles Barkley trade.
    Years after the fact McCombs said he was going to trade David to the Knicks for Ewing to get out of paying him, when of course there was no way Ewing would stick around. San Antonio would have probably burned all his auto dealerships to the ground had he done that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't remember the details of what happened, but the Vikings were stacked contenders for the first few years Red owned them, then they turned to total and he sold the team when he couldn't get the city to buy him a new stadium.

For all the accoladed he has received as a businessman and for his role in the Spurs being in SA, he was also a team-flipping opportunist. He owned the Spurs (the first time) for 5 years, the Nuggets for 7 years, the Spurs (again) for 5 years, then the Vikings for 7 years. Boutons crazy ass is correct... the McCombs family just likes to make money. More power to them, hopefully they have zero input on anything though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Years after the fact McCombs said he was going to trade David to the Knicks for Ewing to get out of paying him, when of course there was no way Ewing would stick around. San Antonio would have probably burned all his auto dealerships to the ground had he done that.
    Yeah, I definitely remember that too. If that's the case, why did he put all of that effort into selling David on signing with the Spurs in the first place? If he had traded David, there would have been a riot here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't remember the details of what happened, but the Vikings were stacked contenders for the first few years Red owned them, then they turned to total and he sold the team when he couldn't get the city to buy him a new stadium.

For all the accoladed he has received as a businessman and for his role in the Spurs being in SA, he was also a team-flipping opportunist. He owned the Spurs (the first time) for 5 years, the Nuggets for 7 years, the Spurs (again) for 5 years, then the Vikings for 7 years. Boutons crazy ass is correct... the McCombs family just likes to make money. More power to them, hopefully they have zero input on anything though.
    Sadly boutons is correct a lot of the time with his ed and un able schtick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t wait to lose Wemby when the Holts and McCombs trying to convince his team that he should really take a 5/120 declining rookie extension deal to help the team
    and he should walk. This pay cut bull is silly. Billionaires asking millionaires to help save them money. Makes no sense.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The McCombs will bring pressure to sell hot dogs and steer people towards buying used cars via o
    ver aggressive in-game advertising.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 12-23-2023 at 03:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and he should walk. This pay cut bull is silly. Billionaires asking millionaires to help save them money. Makes no sense.
    No one will be asking Wemby to take a pay cut. What the is the matter with you? He’ll get the Tim treatment: maximum dollars for the first 12-13 years, carte Blanche.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red McCombs died in February of this year, at age 95. I don't know anything about the kids at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red McCombs died in February of this year, at age 95. I don't know anything about the kids at all.
    Doubt the apple fell far from the tree

Thread Information