Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, these credit reporting companies are notoriously ed up. Years ago, there was an error on my report that indicated I defaulted on a mortgage in 1973. I was born in 1969.

Took me forever to get corrected.
    This is my dilemma: 16 year old ds is not out there yet (according to Innovis) - haven't run any credit report or gotten him a credit card (I usually do this when dc turn 16 to start building credit). So do I get him a credit card and have to start monitoring and locking him down or just wait until he's 18. Theoretically, he's a minor and can't enter any loan/cc contract and I assume that when they say that a minor's iden y can be stolen, it means to claim something like EIC. What are you guys doing about your kids?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a good option for some of us, but the younger folks trying to buy a car or home, that sucks.
    Or applying for jobs - they run credit checks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my dilemma: 16 year old ds is not out there yet (according to Innovis) - haven't run any credit report or gotten him a credit card (I usually do this when dc turn 16 to start building credit). So do I get him a credit card and have to start monitoring and locking him down or just wait until he's 18. Theoretically, he's a minor and can't enter any loan/cc contract and I assume that when they say that a minor's iden y can be stolen, it means to claim something like EIC. What are you guys doing about your kids?

I remember back in college, being mailed tons of credit card applications. So uncool.

I'm going to TRY to get my kids to be debt free through college.

After that, I would recommend they get some small loan that's easily paid off.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember back in college, being mailed tons of credit card applications. So uncool.

I'm going to TRY to get my kids to be debt free through college.

After that, I would recommend they get some small loan that's easily paid off.
    The thing with this generation is that they get so used to paying by credit/debit card instead of cash/check eg. dd will drive to McDonalds and charge a fish sandwich on her credit card. I'm like why didn't you pay cash?

And the colleges encourage payment of vending (laundry, snacks), meal plan, bookstore, housing, tuition etc using ID card connected to bank account for convenience (carry only one card). It's hard to get away from - have to pay airfare, airbnb, uber, shuttle from/to airport by cc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing with this generation is that they get so used to paying by credit/debit card instead of cash/check eg. dd will drive to McDonalds and charge a fish sandwich on her credit card. I'm like why didn't you pay cash?

And the colleges encourage payment of vending (laundry, snacks), meal plan, bookstore, housing, tuition etc using ID card connected to bank account for convenience (carry only one card). It's hard to get away from - have to pay airfare, airbnb, uber, shuttle from/to airport by cc.

True. I just try to lead by example. I don't finance vehicles any more, for example. I just drive old beaters that I pay cash for.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have several things set up to warn me about any shenanigans. Nothing yet.
    What's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in assholes. I'd have probably done the same tho
    You would potentially go to jail for insider trading, just as may happen here.

What they did is a BIG no-no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
    Chuck E Cheese?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The massive borrowing from the food pantry sent it beyond personal credit and into Moody's bond rating.
    You are a huge economic machine with massive financial inertia. Flour, Corn Flakes, Pop Tarts, flying off the shelves...

A F'N territorial Commonwealth you are.
    Fortunately.

Don't hold back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chatbot lets you sue Equifax for up to $25,000 without a lawyer

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/11/1...ecurity-breach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Equifax Faces Multibillion-Dollar Lawsuit Over Hack

Class action seeking to represent 143 million consumers alleges company didn’t spend enough on protecting data.

The case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.

Equifax didn’t respond to request for comment on the matter.
    No .
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 09-14-2017 at 09:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Equifax is already facing the largest class-action lawsuit in US history

mm, who could have seen this coming? Less than 24 hours after Equifax revealed that all of its customers’ personal info had been plundered by hackers, the company is facing a multi-billion-dollar consumer lawsuit, and an investigation by at least one state attorney general.

The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed in Portland, Oregon federal court. In the suit, users allege that Equifax was negligent in its protection of data, and chose to save money rather than safeguard customer dat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.geragos.com/contact

Contact page for one firm mentioned above.

(edit)

This is the firm I contacted.

I will post back when I get a response, so you can know how to join.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://olsendaines.com/contact-us/

Other firm contact page.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scalia would kill the class action because victims lack "commonality", like underpaid women at walmart

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cost me 3 x $10 fee to freeze at each of these financial dictators, plus $13 in registered mail.

Then Equifax, bless their black hearts, said they were waiving the $10 fee.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Took me a long time to find these automated security freeze numbers (seriously, it's like they hide them so that you'll give up and sign up for their protection programs) but if you don't want to send copies of your info to the credit agencies through the mail: Trans Union 1-888-909-8872 (you choose your own 6 digit PIN number so have one ready) and Experian 1-888-397-3742 (have your credit card ready because any pause and they'll throw you out and you have to start all over again).

If you do Equifax security freeze online during peak hours, it will not go through and prompt you to mail your do ents in - ignore that. Don't give up - keep trying at non-peak hours (11pm is when I got through) - their security is extremely lax - with your address, SS, DOB they will issue you a PIN onscreen (not mailed to your mailing address) - therefore, anyone who has your info can get your pin number and lock you out while your do ents are in the mail. I encourage you to get them locked as soon as possible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how long is it gonna take them to process your do ents/mail out PINs for millions of people? They are inundated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how long is it gonna take them to process your do ents/mail out PINs for millions of people? They are inundated.
    I still haven't received a return email from them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Real Problem with Equifax

There are many businesses in which the cost and assumed liability of taking possession of certain goods – real or intellectual – is quite high. Indeed, that is often a major part of the business model itself – they are paid to take on that liability.

breaches that are nonetheless quite large happen basically all the time and the costs to the company are usually negligible.

there’s a big PR hit and there’s usually some fine. But

the costs in fraud and disruption in the lives of affected consumers totally dwarfs the financial cost to the company.

On the most basic measure,

the costs are not great enough to prevent companies like Equifax from making really basic mistakes like failing to install new security patches in a timely manner.

It’s a cost of doing business.

a key part of the problem: consumers aren’t Equifax’s customers. They’re the product.

You’re the product.

Banks and other lenders like credit agencies because they offer a systematized and standardized way of evaluating risk.

The banks are the customers.

Credit rating agencies would prefer never to deal with consumers at all.

they’ve developed a secondary business in selling consumers services to help them protect themselves against errors or security breaches by credit rating agencies.

It’s possible that once you make the credit rating bureaus – and other companies that collect this much data – take on the liability for the dangers inherent in their business no one will be willing to do it.

Because

companies can make tons of money evaluating and storing and selling potentially fraud-enabling personal data.

If they screw up and it gets stolen, there’s no substantial penalty.

It’s your problem.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-real-problem-with-equifax?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still haven't received a return email from them.
    How secure is email? I didn't want to mail my do ents - even if registered, too many variables involved - how long is it gonna take, are they gonna dispose of the do ents properly and are their employees secure? I'm paranoid now - so I thought that the automated phone system or me directly inputting the info online were the best methods.

Dd did hers very early (I was dealing with the hurricane) and would you believe that Equifax gave her the date she froze it as her PIN - so insecure. I guess they keep changing/improving - now it's a random 10-digit number onscreen - they should be mailing the PIN to address on file.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a heads up too, if you accept the free credit monitoring Equifax is offering, you waive the right to take part in any class action suit if you were going to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a heads up too, if you accept the free credit monitoring Equifax is offering, you waive the right to take part in any class action suit if you were going to.
    I think it's free for a year and watch out for them (automatically) charging you after the year is up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This "data breech" really stinks of Lifelock tbh. What do these companies do when they get breeched? They buy Lifelock for everyone involved for one year, then Lifelock tries to up sell you and they act like you're going into the DMZ if you don't renew.

As if these monitoring companies have trustworthy employees, the only trustworthy employees in the world, and they cannot be hacked.

Seems like circular reasoning, a scam.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This "data breech" really stinks of Lifelock tbh. What do these companies do when they get breeched? They buy Lifelock for everyone involved for one year, then Lifelock tries to up sell you and they act like you're going into the DMZ if you don't renew.

As if these monitoring companies have trustworthy employees, the only trustworthy employees in the world, and they cannot be hacked.

Seems like circular reasoning, a scam.
    In the end you have to at least trust the IT personnel of any company (because they have access - both display and update - to the database/warehouse) This is not even mentioning how trustworthy the employees from a call center in India is who has access to all your sensitive info. I'm just surprised that they haven't hacked one of the big 3 - they are the ultimate in financial/personal info - it's kinda scary that they know my address from college days - a long time ago).

Thread Information