Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bigger question than people are giving it credit for. The dude is going to take away a lot of flexibility from the team if they keep him, and I'm not convinced he's going to be a full-time rotation player. His size also lowers his celing. I have heard fans from other teams being willing to give up top-20 picks for Boban. If someone offered that to the Spurs, they have to take it, in my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8th or 9th man obviously
    Last big of the bench now that Bonner is dead.

Jeff Ayers replacement. Jeez

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs need flexibility, waive Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs need flexibility, waive Bonner.
    Talking about flexibility in the summer. The Spurs may lose Duncan and Manu, and have nothing but minimum contracts and drafted players to replace them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing. The single biggest problem with Boban right now is expectations. Nobody knew anything about him, he had some big numbers in garbage time, and some people thought he was the second coming of young Shaquille. It's pretty messed up to set unrealistic expectations for a guy, and then get pissed when he doesn't live up to them.

He's freaking huge. He seems like a good guy, and a good teammate. And he's fun to watch (most of the time). It's a damn game - enjoy it.
    It's about money as much as it's about skill. If Boban didn't have very good games and the Spurs could re-sign him using a non-Bird or the LLE, that would be one thing. But the team may have to use the full MLE on him next year, and that's WAY too much on a 28-year-old prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people ar insane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about money as much as it's about skill. If Boban didn't have very good games and the Spurs could re-sign him using a non-Bird or the LLE, that would be one thing. But the team may have to use the full MLE on him next year, and that's WAY too much on a 28-year-old prospect.
    His efficiency stats are awesome -24and 15 per36- and he is obviously getting better on offense, defense, and the board. He did not have training camp because of the bone bruise and is still performing at a high level. He is far and away better than Splitter or Baynes in their first years here.

Nice blanket dismissal because of age but a 3 or 4 year deal would not be prohibitive particularly with how the team handles age and prefers veterans. He is one of the top C prospects in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bigger question than people are giving it credit for. The dude is going to take away a lot of flexibility from the team if they keep him, and I'm not convinced he's going to be a full-time rotation player. His size also lowers his celing. I have heard fans from other teams being willing to give up top-20 picks for Boban. If someone offered that to the Spurs, they have to take it, in my opinion.

Fans say a lot of stuff. If any TEAMS are willing to give up a top-20 pick for him? No question. Big difference between that, and questioning whether he's a "keeper".

I watched him play the last couple of years, and I was calling for the Spurs to try and sign him in the summer, before (nearly) anyone here even knew the name. So I'm sort of biased to believe that he's good/smart enough to be a legit NBA center. I think he could be Gortat good, which is no small thing. But you're right about his age. He has to progress quickly, and he still would have limited years to be at the top of his game.

Damn, I'd love to think somebody would actually give up a top-20 pick. The way the Spurs evaluate players? That kind of talent infusion would be huge. I like Boban a lot, but I'd take that deal and never look back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to set picks with purpose and context.

Use it as a change of pace in the moment that ripples outward affect, be more dynamic with it... not just empty flat moves for the sake.

He's too stilted with it, people are already rerouting, as he finishes getting set, so it's like giving the other player a free move in chess.

But damn that pick and pop, or pick pop abort to make a pass.. And then roll ready for a return pass.... If he could ever reach that level, but he has the tools.

Add that with how Kawhi attacks and how mills and green stretch the court, and Lma in in space in the middle... Boban could pummel one side of the defense. Parker will have so many openings to drive.

They just got to bring together so it's back to just Summertime Play.
    Last edited by Yuixafun; 02-06-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say that boban in 4 months showed more than Anderson in two years...

Boban an is a keeper a dud with his size and skills at this age... You keep it and it's a no brainer
    Freudian slip?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban has been schooled lately. Have to give him a chance to make an adjustment...if its in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the defensive errors you are mentioning are very coachable. He has the size to be a rim protector. I was driving during the game so will need to re-watch, sounds like Powell was pulling him out of the post and he was sticking to his man. Boban is a force when he gets the ball near the rim, you have to foul him or the ball is going in.
    Most of the sequences he was not by the rim. Really most of the time he was very far out, completely out of position to help. The few times he got to the rim to contest, he was involved in the play, usually defending a PnR, and he was late, got a few dunks on him. He struggled in general defensively in every aspect.

By the way I started a thread to discuss a legitimate concern regarding his potential defensively and ceiling with the team.. It is not a hate thread. Jesus! You want to start a conversation about a player and it's perceived as a hate thread! A more appropriate question would have been how do young see him ending up, what do you perceive as his potential role if he were to remain with the team. He could be overpaid for his role with us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the sequences he was not by the rim. Really most of the time he was very far out, completely out of position to help. The few times he got to the rim to contest, he was involved in the play, usually defending a PnR, and he was late, got a few dunks on him. He struggled in general defensively in every aspect.

By the way I started a thread to discuss a legitimate concern regarding his potential defensively and ceiling with the team.. It is not a hate thread. Jesus! You want to start a conversation about a player and it's perceived as a hate thread! A more appropriate question would have been how do young see him ending up, what do you perceive as his potential role if he were to remain with the team. He could be overpaid for his role with us.

You are on point with your analysis of his limitations. I pretty much suspected he would have these problems from day one but then he swooned me against D league compe ion.

my first guess was correct though...... He is a huge liability on defense against real NBA compe ion and doesn't have the tools to change it. 3rd center and nothing more .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember watching his first couple of games. He got some blocks, Deflected balls, I think even a steal or 2. I was liking it. Then he became a dunking machine. Now he's shown some passing and soft touch shots. I haven't seen the Defensive stuff since those first couple of games, and he seems to have been abused a little defensively. So, I dunno what's going on with him and where he can be used. I too prolly got my expectations up for him more than I shoulda.

It's still fun to see him come in during blowouts... And, if anyone can teach someone to play good D without a lot of speed and jumping ability...that man would be Tim Duncan
    Last edited by SouthernFried; 02-06-2016 at 02:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember watching his first couple of games. He got some blocks, Deflected balls, I think even a steal or 2. I was liking it. Then he became a dunking machine. Now he's shown some passing and soft touch shots. I haven't seen the Defensive stuff since those first couple of games, and he seems to have been abused a little defensively. So, I dunno what's going on with him and where he can be used. I too prolly got my expectations up for him more than I shoulda.

It's still fun to see him come in during blowouts...
    That is why I was hyped. If he's in the right spot he does make things difficult. In a half court offense game he's a beast. He has had some good enough games defensively when you consider his lack if experience, and it made me very hopeful that he can adapt, but he's regressed. Particularly in an uptempo game he ends up having to pick up perimeter players. And defending Powell and stretch Bigs is an impossibility for him. He struggled against Dallas last game too, but this game it was more noticeable how often he was out of position.

At least he's a situational big that you have to play with veterans that can cover for him. I am hoping for better games from him, but I guess I can see now why he hasn't played much since Timmy got injured. We have played too many perimeter oriented teams for him to be viable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how much of Boban's defensive shortcomings are a result of the lineups he's played with. If he had the luxury of teaming up with Green-Kawhi-Duncan or Aldridge, would things be vastly different?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His efficiency stats are awesome -24and 15 per36- and he is obviously getting better on offense, defense, and the board. He did not have training camp because of the bone bruise and is still performing at a high level. He is far and away better than Splitter or Baynes in their first years here.

Nice blanket dismissal because of age but a 3 or 4 year deal would not be prohibitive particularly with how the team handles age and prefers veterans. He is one of the top C prospects in the league.
    Save your ageist arguments for the AARP. It's a big deal that the team may have to give him $4 Million a year to "develop" when his age and potential health concerns mean that he is likely near his peak. As I said in the post you quoted, the Spurs may well have only the MLE to patch up the holes from Tim and Manu leaving, so giving that money for a prospect isn't that great.

His numbers being great is why he has trade value. Qualitatively, he's not as good as his stats suggest. But I'm not concerned with having him this year. I am concerned about him being able to be a rotation player going forward. And his performance falling off when he's in a legit rotation doesn't help his case much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just can't be expected to cover stretch bigs and he switched on guards last night which was a terrible idea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs had given him $3M/2, I wouldn't be thinking about moving him now. The $1.2M/1 deal is very troublesome.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still a rookie and getting inconsistent playing time...expecting him to consistently play well every time he goes out there is unrealistic at this point.

He's shown a ton of promise so far. I don't agree with the people who think he'll end up starting, but I can see him being a ~20 mpg guy who is very productive in limited minutes.
    Dis tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rookie season. Can't judge a player in a rookie season getting very uneven playing time; should find out next season. He could end up being a real piece of like Dog Errors or Slow Face Anderson, or could turn into a decent spot player for the regular season like Banes or Simmons to give older guys a rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think your point Chinook about his pay is really the crux. He's not comparable in situation to Anderson who is 22 and in a rookie scale deal with two more years after this one to develop if the Spurs so wish. He's also not in the spot J.Simms is who has been in the rotation and keeps getting better with tantalizing athleticism and defensive potential + he's on a cheap two year min contract, perfect for a development prospect. Boban will get paid in the summer bc the rising cap will have many teams throwing out money and we will need a defensive big. Besides Tmmy being 40, (maybe he doesn't retire, but you will have to really restrict his playing time) D.West will be 36, 37?, then Diaw 34? We need a younger big that can give you rotation minutes and play defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my first guess was correct though...... He is a huge liability on defense against real NBA compe ion and doesn't have the tools to change it. 3rd center and nothing more .

Doesn't have the tools to change? Seriously? What the do you know about his "tools"? You do realize that he's played a grand total of 270 minutes? (That's less than Rasuel Butler has played, and we all feel like we've barely seen him.) After 270 minutes, watching on television, you've been able to determine that he doesn't have the tools to change? You really should be an NBA scout.

BTW - his DRTG is 92, which is the best on the team. Yeah, he hasn't been in against starters. But he's been in against the same opponents that the rest of the bench guys have been playing against. And none of them have a 92 DRTG. Your "first guess" was just that... a ing guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Save your ageist arguments for the AARP. It's a big deal that the team may have to give him $4 Million a year to "develop" when his age and potential health concerns mean that he is likely near his peak. As I said in the post you quoted, the Spurs may well have only the MLE to patch up the holes from Tim and Manu leaving, so giving that money for a prospect isn't that great.

His numbers being great is why he has trade value. Qualitatively, he's not as good as his stats suggest. But I'm not concerned with having him this year. I am concerned about him being able to be a rotation player going forward. And his performance falling off when he's in a legit rotation doesn't help his case much.
    Comparing him to the typical US prospect when the European progression is obviously different is fun particularly in this particular instance. Your knowledge of statistics is basically arithmetic.

Qualitatively I have never seen you talk about basketball as it's played on the court. Instead we get these dressed up opinions presented as fact.

You dropped my argument about similar prospects who came over like Baynes and Splitter both of whom he is starting out better than.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are on point with your analysis of his limitations. I pretty much suspected he would have these problems from day one but then he swooned me against D league compe ion.

He can run the floor and he knows how to use his length to advantage. He is adjusting to athletic guards and the Spurs style of not swiping at ball fakes and shots but he is also getting better. Outside of Duncan he is the best rim protector we have. You don't want to hedge on pnr but he can play ICE just fine with the aforementioned length advantage.

He is a well rounded center prospect.

Thread Information