Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. I am starting to have my doubts on Boban. We have debated both Anderson and Simmons, but not enough on Boban.

Boban is starting to look doubtful to me. We will recall Anderson (and to a lesser degree Butler) getting blown by Justin Anderson or Villanueva, and that was cringeworthy... but what is more noteworthy is that in all those drives there was an absolute lack of help or rim protection. . Boban was always in the perimeter hanging out maybe dealing with Powell... maybe it was a test by Pop to see how well Boban would do in that kind of situation, can he detect what is going on and help or not? Would it not have been better for him to just stand back close to the rim and then close out if the ball went to Powell? He was just too inadequate.

Yes he also got dunked on repeatedly, and he also struggled with PnR defense, but the absolute lack of Boban hanging close to the paint to help on drives was absolutely the nail in the coffin for me. He struggled on everything defensively.

The other pet peeve with Boban... this one on offense. The offense with the garbage time crew in the 4th was really saved by Ray/Simmons/Kyle (Patty when he was there too), because Boban's screens don't free up anyone. He is a nice passer though, and as always if he manages to catch a ball (and the perimeter players manage to get him the ball too) close to the basket he's absolutely dominant and must get fouled or the ball is going in... so his positives are still his positives, but the more we watch him, his negatives stand out.

Is that something he can improve on? What is the prognosis for Boban?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say that boban in 4 months showed more than Anderson in two years...

Boban an is a keeper a dud with his size and skills at this age... You keep it and it's a no brainer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why u up so early ?

Boban hed be alright ... Ill take him 10/10 over pendergraph / ayres tbh

what about tonight against LA hoping we beat they've ballin lately

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He really needs to work on his D in the spurs system. He also needs to work on and understanding the proper positioning for someone his size. He gets blown by alot because. he stands to close to players away from the basket. He needs to give them some space and meet them at the rim when they drive. Tim is the best guy to teach him that kinda stuff. This isn't Europe, even the scrubs are quick and explosive.

He also needs to get more physical on O. Right now when he tries they call fouls. Eff it, just keep pounding and eventually they will start swallowing the whistle once the realize he's just a really big dude, as long as it's not dirty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know honestly... I liked him a lot, but he's looked very doubtful defensively... its like he doesn't know where he needs to be or what he should be doing. Could be adjustment from Europe to Pop's schemes.

I mean if your ceiling for him is Ayers then fine. I thought he could be more TBH.. that is why I am disappointed.

And actually Ayers was an extremely undersized guy for a center, but he executed Pop's defensive schemes well, which is the big problem and will keep him in an Ayers role when he could be more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's definitely a keeper, unless somebody overpays for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets enjoy the ride with boban hes been a real surprise in my book this early in his rookie season ... We have had worst 4th stringer bigs tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have had worst 4th stringer bigs tbh
    I was not around to witness the atrocities....

Definitely has a lot to learn on both ends. My hope for him was not that he remain a 4th stringer big though. I think he can be a real rotational player if he improved. But his flaws have just become really glaring the more he plays and I don't think he has improved on them.

Maybe I am overreacting to a bad game from him. He will certainly have enough film for his own roast session of Boban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1-2 weeks earlier you called those who made fun of the thread "can boban start" or some as trolls. You and some people actually thought this dude was gonna be an NBA level starter how 2 weeks can change one's mind tbh

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1-2 weeks earlier you called those who made fun of the thread "can boban start" or some as trolls. You and some people actually thought this dude was gonna be an NBA level starter how 2 weeks can change one's mind tbh
    Yup I've soured on him a bit too. Would rather have another rim protector and better roller and another stretch 4 next year. Duncan's absence has altered my thoughts on him to some degree. I mean he's a situational big. I understand that now. And unless a miracle happens I don't see him as anything more. He can't guard the pick and roll, or faster players, or stretch bigs. He would have to be dominant as heck on offense to offset that... But I thought he could be a better rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were running a dunk drill on him �� he's slow to react, and not mean enough to foul those guys

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know either, seems lost, tentative, not really dominating the backboards. Maybe they can bring him along next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a keeper if he's cheap. If someone wants to overpay him, adios. I mean, well he's better than Cherokee Parks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was high on Boban also and I think he has the talent and size obviously to be a good backup. Someone that big is never going to be quick footed. I think Boban suffers a bit from Gigantism, ala Gheorge Muresan. Well I may as well check on my hunch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...with_gigantism

NBA Draft notes about Boban " ... There is some concern about gigantism, though he doesn't have nearly as pronounced features as most guys that do suffer from the disorder ... "

Muresan only played 6 NBA Seasons and Boban has some similar features that most humans with gigantism have. So he will definitely not have a long basketball career and unfortunately may not even have a long life span. In most cases people with Gigantism don't have pronounced side effects until the age of 30, so as crazy as it seems it is somewhat likely Boban hasn't full grown yet at age 27.

It is remarkable Boban can do the things he does but he does have drawbacks and if he does have to deal with full blown Gigantism at age 30 it could be nearly the end of his career with another growth spurt. He will never be a game changer but he is such a nice friendly guy, gets the crowd behind him (both at home and away) and has some skill. I'd like to keep him for a few more years until the end of what will ultimately be a very short career and unfortunately a possibly short life.

PS: He has a PER of 30.89 lmao Boban the Destroyer!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw and Manu are the only ones that knows how to assist Boban

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still a rookie and getting inconsistent playing time...expecting him to consistently play well every time he goes out there is unrealistic at this point.

He's shown a ton of promise so far. I don't agree with the people who think he'll end up starting, but I can see him being a ~20 mpg guy who is very productive in limited minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd year will show what he is all about tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban is going through what pretty much all rookie big men in the NBA go through. It's an adjustment. Go back and look at someone like Marcin Gortat's first year or two in the NBA. Better still, go back and look at all the people here who screamed about how bad Splitter was in his first year or two. Now a bunch of people cry about trading him. The low blocks are a ing war zone in the NBA. Boban was a damned solid player in Europe, just like Splitter was. And he'll adjust, just like Splitter did.

He's huge, and clogs the lane more than nearly anyone I've ever seen. He runs the floor pretty damn good, for his size. He has pretty quick hands, unlike a lot of lumbering giants (which he's not). He's smart, and he's always paying attention to try and learn. And he can shoot the ball.

... why wouldn't that be a keeper?

The ONLY two concerns I have is that he might wind up getting too much money for his current state of development. And I don't understand how someone can play as long as he has, and seemingly not have any understanding of the PnR. He'll learn the PnR. Hopefully he'll have realistic money expectations. I think he likes it here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should definitely keep him, but thinking of him as more than a 15-20 min backup center at his ceiling is probably a setup for disappointment. I love the guy, but just because he loves to dunk and clown Jahlil doesn't mean he'll be a future cornerstone. There's definitely room for improvement, and I think he can carve out a bigger role for himself next year. Like many have said already, it's just the growing pain of being a rookie at the end of the bench. I think a year under his belt will be huge for him come next season.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So OP is concerned with Boban who had 7pts, 7reb on 2-3 shooting, but not fathead who laid another egg and ended up with an impressive 1-5 shooting performance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Boban has some rim protection issues, but good god I can't count how many times Anderson gets blown by on defense and it's not because of him being "slow", it's because he reaches or over anticipates a pass and gets out of position. I've called it out many times before and it never changes. I like Kyle but for s sake keep your feet in front of your man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. I am starting to have my doubts on Boban. We have debated both Anderson and Simmons, but not enough on Boban.

Boban is starting to look doubtful to me. We will recall Anderson (and to a lesser degree Butler) getting blown by Justin Anderson or Villanueva, and that was cringeworthy... but what is more noteworthy is that in all those drives there was an absolute lack of help or rim protection. . Boban was always in the perimeter hanging out maybe dealing with Powell... maybe it was a test by Pop to see how well Boban would do in that kind of situation, can he detect what is going on and help or not? Would it not have been better for him to just stand back close to the rim and then close out if the ball went to Powell? He was just too inadequate.

Yes he also got dunked on repeatedly, and he also struggled with PnR defense, but the absolute lack of Boban hanging close to the paint to help on drives was absolutely the nail in the coffin for me. He struggled on everything defensively.

The other pet peeve with Boban... this one on offense. The offense with the garbage time crew in the 4th was really saved by Ray/Simmons/Kyle (Patty when he was there too), because Boban's screens don't free up anyone. He is a nice passer though, and as always if he manages to catch a ball (and the perimeter players manage to get him the ball too) close to the basket he's absolutely dominant and must get fouled or the ball is going in... so his positives are still his positives, but the more we watch him, his negatives stand out.

Is that something he can improve on? What is the prognosis for Boban?
    I think the defensive errors you are mentioning are very coachable. He has the size to be a rim protector. I was driving during the game so will need to re-watch, sounds like Powell was pulling him out of the post and he was sticking to his man. Boban is a force when he gets the ball near the rim, you have to foul him or the ball is going in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a 12th man. Jeez what the do you want for a 12th man

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a 12th man. Jeez what the do you want for a 12th man
    8th or 9th man obviously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing. The single biggest problem with Boban right now is expectations. Nobody knew anything about him, he had some big numbers in garbage time, and some people thought he was the second coming of young Shaquille. It's pretty messed up to set unrealistic expectations for a guy, and then get pissed when he doesn't live up to them.

He's freaking huge. He seems like a good guy, and a good teammate. And he's fun to watch (most of the time). It's a damn game - enjoy it.

Thread Information