Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at an end of the bench guy requesting a trade.
    More likely to get cut given no guaranteed money after this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, maybe it's all about the Spurs' lack of bigs. But why not just send Kyle back in against Len? That's who I would have played against him in a legit game situation- which this wasn't.

You are probably right. But I think Bertans lacks more than strength and wingspan. He hasn't shown much willingness to mix it up under the boards. For a 6'10" player without the freakish quickness and agility of Durant or Greek Freak, Davis will have to develop a better Big Boy game.
    Anderson has played relatively significant minutes thus far and will likely remain a rotation player when healthy. He also wouldn't have fared much better in that match-up. In blowout situations, it's best to play the bottom 5; Spurs are just imbalanced.

Again, lack of rebounding never stopped Diaw and Bonner from being long time rotation players. Besides, this team has a bunch of freakishly long perimeter players, who punch above their weight on the glass.

Lol at an end of the bench guy requesting a trade.
    End of bench guy, who's a clear rotation player on most teams, who aren't archaic.

Anderson will more than likely be re-signed. Think Gay is more likely than not, but too soon to have a real sense. If he is and remains 6th man, Bertans will basically be blocked from a path to the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson has played relatively significant minutes thus far and will likely remain a rotation player when healthy. He also wouldn't have fared much better in that match-up. In blowout situations, it's best to play the bottom 5; Spurs are just imbalanced.

Again, lack of rebounding never stopped Diaw and Bonner from being long time rotation players. Besides, this team has a bunch of freakishly long perimeter players, who punch above their weight on the glass.

End of bench guy, who's a clear rotation player on most teams, who aren't archaic.

Anderson will more than likely be re-signed. Think Gay is more likely than not, but too soon to have a real sense. If he is and remains 6th man, Bertans will basically be blocked from a path to the rotation.
    There's no way Bertans is a rotation player on 'most' teams. He's barely even one-dimensional as it is.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't lack toughness, just strength and wingspan. He's never going to be anything but a terrible rebounder because of those two things, but that deficiency didn't prevent Diaw and Bonner from being long time rotation players. The thing Bonner had going for him that Bertans doesn't, is he had the strength to physically defend his position. Bertans is a more versatile shooter/scorer, but lacks a true defensive position (it'll have to be PF by default).

His guarding Len in crunch time had nothing to do with punishment and everything to do with Spurs lack of bigs.

Down 2 front court rotation players and in desperate need of more 3-point shooting and offense in general, he should be playing and the longer it goes without him doing so, the likelihood increases of him requesting a trade.
    Right, because dennis rodman was never out crafting whole teams for rebounds? Rebounding has more to do with want to than size. Its why lma is a ty rebounder and deejuuunnntahye is not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't lack toughness, just strength and wingspan. He's never going to be anything but a terrible rebounder because of those two things, but that deficiency didn't prevent Diaw and Bonner from being long time rotation players. The thing Bonner had going for him that Bertans doesn't, is he had the strength to physically defend his position. Bertans is a more versatile shooter/scorer, but lacks a true defensive position (it'll have to be PF by default).

His guarding Len in crunch time had nothing to do with punishment and everything to do with Spurs lack of bigs.

Down 2 front court rotation players and in desperate need of more 3-point shooting and offense in general, he should be playing and the longer it goes without him doing so, the likelihood increases of him requesting a trade.
    I have thought about the request for trade thing. It reminds me of DeColo for sure.
    There’s a possibility that just occurred to me that without Joff playing Spurs don’t have a true big that plays in the paint in the bench and even playing Gasol there is awkward bc Gasol stands outside looking for the PnP and for cutters etc. Davis needs to play with a big like Dedmon to fit in and such a guy is missing from this roster this season and now even more that Joff got injured. We may yet see Davis play more when Joff is back. If he doesn’t pick up minutes then and after the few minutes he’s getting in these blowouts doesn’t show much, then I’ll be worried for him. He will get opportunities again I think.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree after he started bragging about playing Days Gone and then wouldn't tell us about it tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have thought about the request for trade thing. It reminds me of DeColo for sure.
    There’s a possibility that just occurred to me that without Joff playing Spurs don’t have a true big that plays in the paint in the bench and even playing Gasol there is awkward bc Gasol stands outside looking for the PnP and for cutters etc. Davis needs to play with a big like Dedmon to fit in and such a guy is missing from this roster this season and now even more that Joff got injured. We may yet see Davis play more when Joff is back. If he doesn’t pick up minutes then and after the few minutes he’s getting in these blowouts doesn’t show much, then I’ll be worried for him. He will get opportunities again I think.
    I agree with your analysis of what kind of big man would benefit Davis. As this team is currently cons uted, I think Davis is potential deadline trade fodder or cut-bait if the Spurs could sign a better big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree after he started bragging about playing Days Gone and then wouldn't tell us about it tbh

I played this demo:

The demo actually ends at that point and starts again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and then Pop puts him at Center
    yep...wtf was it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rarely remember a second year player in such a doghouse ... especially after Lauvergne went down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I saw Bertans get crunk last year and try to fight someone over a teammate, I thought he might be too alpha to sit and rot away in a deep bench role.. I guess I was wrong. I believe TheGreatYacht called him Austin Daye 2.0 for a ceiling, I think that's pretty much it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis has an unfairly bad rap as a bad defender... He gets up for those blocks, and in actual NBA time last year, who has ever really torched him? He was the only big to give Zbo a LOT of trouble last year in the playoffs, and Zbo at the time was COOKING all of our bigs... Zbo only scored once on Davis and he was trying VERY hard to go at him... It came to the point where he was clearly frustrated... But the paradox is if he doesn't play, he won't get better, and we will have no idea how good he can be... I feel like he will be on the long list of players that reach their potential when they leave for another coach that is willing to let them shine... Even Murray plays like he is scared to let loose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans will go to another team and shine, like so many others have done, because Pop is too stubborn to play them
    Seriously, like who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no rebounding gets you benched

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, what a disappointment... he's basically a human victory cigar now...

What happened? When did Pop went from full Euro sucker to America first?

Will he pull a DeCulo and ask to be traded, tbh?
    I'm kinda sorry my 1st language is Spanish right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever at any point against any opponent where it's small and it's Kyle (not Rudy) playing the 4, that needs to be Bertans instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way Bertans is a rotation player on 'most' teams. He's barely even one-dimensional as it is.
    I think he would a rotation player on a decent amount teams, not necessarily your Houston's, OKC's, and GSW's of the world but still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he would a rotation player on a decent amount teams, not necessarily your Houston's, OKC's, and GSW's of the world but still.
    I agree. There’s a number of teams where he could give 15-20 minutes off the bench without getting exposed too much, specially if they have a bench big that rebounds and protects the rim, even if he doesn’t do much else. It’s possible the issue of fit is bigger than we know.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't play against other bigs. It is a huge issue for him. He is just physically outmatched. Even some guards can uproot him for rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertie looked ing fine when he was in with the right lineup in Game 1 WCFs vs Warriors last year.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...ghlight=energy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans isn't one dimensional. He isn't just a spot up shooter; he can shoot off screens, has an underrated dribble drive game when ran off, including the ability to make plays for others, as well as the capability to run a functional secondary pick-and-roll.

That's the exact offensive skillset that's prioritized at PF by most in today's game.

Right, because dennis rodman was never out crafting whole teams for rebounds? Rebounding has more to do with want to than size. Its why lma is a ty rebounder and deejuuunnntahye is not
    Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Aldridge is one, but Murray is a bad example. His 6'9.5'' wingspan allows him to punch above his weight on the glass.

Yeah, it reminds me of the De Colo situation too. People seem to not realize that Bertans is 25. If Gay re-signs, the writing is on the wall, so why would he want to stay? And why wouldn't a smart team look at the money they'd then have invested in Leonard, Aldridge, Gay and Anderson and their preference to start big and realize, they can probably steal him?

He'd be better paired with a roll man, but at the same time, the Lauvergne injury should have opened up more minutes for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't rebound

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, like who?
    U can't be serious... U can't think of ANY player that we had and let go, and they became better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Gasol, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U can't be serious... U can't think of ANY player that we had and let go, and they became better?
    Not at the top of my head in the last few years. Beli is playing good now but was down since we let him go. Gary Neal is out of the league, same as Blair. West is still a show. Beno made a career as a backup. Mahimni had one good year and has cashed in. Splitter is done. George Hill was a necessary for Leonard. Finley didn't make another rotation since we let him go. Joseph was a necessary for LMA.

Thread Information