Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's the step where you move the PC back and forth between a desk where you use the PC for work and the TV in a completely different room in your house? Where's the step where you have to buy a console anyway because the game is a console exclusive? Where's the step where you end up paying more for a PC because of upgrades you need to do very often. How many games that come out today can you play on a 2006 PC with no upgrades?

I'm paying 400 for a PS4 that will last me a long ass time and will not need any upgrades and will have access to the exclusive games I like. I'll never have to mess with drivers (and its not that its hard - its that I don't have to do it because I don't want to), service packs for an OS, config files, or anything else that I would have to mess with on a PC. I won't have to move it back and forth and I'll be able to add using its functionality on a second TV in my house for all of 100 dollars.

SMH. I guess since CH finally got tired of making these threads and symple just posts emoticons in them you're the new insecure PC gamer around here.
    "Where's the step where you move the PC back and forth between a desk where you use the PC for work and the TV in a completely different room in your house?"

Who is to say the PC ever needs to be moved? Have it set up permanently in your living room. I built a gaming PC, not a work PC. Not sure if you are aware of a Micro ATX PC, but they are small enough to be carried by a child in the worst case you would need to move it. Cry Havoc's PC is half the size of a mid tower, and his PC is much bigger than some of the other micro cases out there.

"Where's the step where you have to buy a console anyway because the game is a console exclusive?"

Again, this is valid, but as a PC only gamer you will simply miss out on all two must have exclusives a year. I never said I was a PC only gamer. I just understand they are both not going to be too special as the Xbox 360 was in 2005.

"Where's the step where you end up paying more for a PC because of upgrades you need to do very often"

Where is the step where you may pay as much as a PC off of yearly subscription fees on top of the cost of the system? 64.00 a year Xbox live? This might not be an issue for you depending on Sony's approach, but do the math. There simply is no weight in your argument here. I researched my build fully before purchase, my 680 is going to be relevant for quite some time. If you buy the right parts up front, the PC should last as long as a console would. Microsoft just announced the plan for the Xbox One to have a 10 year life which sucks considering the growth of graphics chips, and the fact that the Xbox One is already outdated. You would be a fool to say now that you will not be looking at technology advances in a few years and not want to be able to experience them on an upgrade restricted console. Developers are going to have so much more to work with in a few years to improve gameplay mechanics and graphics considering the advancements in tech, and the consoles will be stuck in the past.

"How many games that come out today can you play on a 2006 PC with no upgrades?"

You can play most all recent games with older PC's. The game will play just fine, but you may have to adjust the settings based on your framerate preference. Even at low settings, these games will still look better than what is currently possible with the 360 or PS3. 2006 graphics cards will not support DX 11 effects, however DX 9 looks amazing still. Battlefield 4 may be the only exception as it recommends Windows 8, and a graphics card with 3 GB of VRAM.

"I'll never have to mess with drivers (and its not that its hard - its that I don't have to do it because I don't want to), service packs for an OS, config files, or anything else that I would have to mess with on a PC."

I love driver updates. My Nvidia app will notify me of an update, and I will hit the install button. Within 5 minutes my games run better than they did 10 minutes before. Service Packs are rare, and do not need to be installed. A service pack is comparable to a console required update, so how is this different? The PC will automatically install overnight when you shutdown, so this is a non-issue. Config files? Not an issue unless you're a modder.

Again, weak argument. You just seem too close minded to get on board and at least consider the future of games. I could understand if you were such a casual gamer you didn't give a , but for you to sit here and debate with me for this long, you're obviously not a casual gamer. There's nothing personal here, I just spouted off my opinion in the original post, and people responded. If you would ever consider it, I'd even be willing to help you build a sick gaming PC, one that could sit in your entertainment center and never need to be moved.
    Last edited by DJR210; 09-27-2013 at 07:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we're not fighting over the better gaming platform, this board is ing 10 feet deep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bf4 on pc vs console

+64 players i think max is 128 right? vs console how many?

warhammer 40000 on pc fkn 3month campaigns looks nasty just nasty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It gets worse for Xbox One..

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/c...ox-one-1195090

500.00 dollar "next gen" console that still cant push 1080p

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Xbox One
    More expensive
    Less powerful
    Can't render 1080p

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...atter--1195580

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Xbox One
    More expensive
    Less powerful
    Can't render 1080p

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...atter--1195580
    But can force you to buy XBox Live Gold to watch Netflix which has to be paid for separately?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But can force you to buy XBox Live Gold to watch Netflix which has to be paid for separately?
    Isn't that ing awesome?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bf4 on pc vs console

+64 players i think max is 128 right? vs console how many?

warhammer 40000 on pc fkn 3month campaigns looks nasty just nasty
    64 on both. Only difference is scaled down graphics (per usual) on console.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It gets worse for Xbox One..

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/c...ox-one-1195090

500.00 dollar "next gen" console that still cant push 1080p
    Meanwhile you can pay $~600 (less on Black Friday) for a computer that will play BF4 on 1080p with better graphics than either console.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    that guy that used to be from G4, Adam Sessler was losing his mind after he defended the xbone's lower resolution. dude was defending that . only thing stopping me from building a pc is i cant get windows 7 for free. that cuts into my small budget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile you can pay $~600 (less on Black Friday) for a computer that will play BF4 on 1080p with better graphics than either console.
    Not to mention every other game released on both platforms.

But you gotta remember..sometimes people just want to have a beer and play some games on the couch..and nobody wants to have to deal with the hassle of drivers, and all of the other crap associated with PC's. I'll buy the crappier of the gaming options so I can have cool features like media streaming and paid DLC.

only thing stopping me from building a pc is i cant get windows 7 for free. that cuts into my small budget.
    Didn't pay a cent for mine. Not hard at all.

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I really have been wanting to invest in a gaming pc, I just dont know how to build them/choose the best one.

Pretty much dont know anything about gaming on pcs except the monitors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First time in a console launch that the PC looks like the better option... wait let me think about that... yep first time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really have been wanting to invest in a gaming pc, I just dont know how to build them/choose the best one.

Get a gaming laptop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get a gaming laptop
    Yeah, horrible advice, please don't listen to this.

First time in a console launch that the PC is the better option... wait let me think about that... yep first time.
    True.

Literally knew nothing about PC building a year ago. I'd be happy to link you to the 3 videos I used to learn what I needed to know.
    Last edited by DJR210; 11-07-2013 at 02:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do some reading on Tom's Hardware, since they always seem to have articles on building a first computer and recommendations for components to fit a given budget. It's not at all difficult. After you do it once you'll never want to buy another desktop prebuilt again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't that ing awesome?
    Still can't believe you need XBox Live Gold just to watch ing youtube on an XBox 360.

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Yeah, horrible advice, please don't listen to this.

True.

Literally knew nothing about PC building a year ago. I'd be happy to link you to the 3 videos I used to learn what I needed to know.
    link me

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Do some reading on Tom's Hardware, since they always seem to have articles on building a first computer and recommendations for components to fit a given budget. It's not at all difficult. After you do it once you'll never want to buy another desktop prebuilt again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still can't believe you need XBox Live Gold just to watch ing youtube on an XBox 360.
    Yeah, real Jewish of MS tbh. You also need Xbox Live to be able to subscribe to any of the music apps as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There you go.

Now as to your question about understanding what parts to buy, I can help you with that too. It all starts with buying the most up to date motherboard technology, and the processor, GPU, and RAM that goes with it. The only item that may not be compatible with a motherboard of those that I just listed is the processor, however once you learn to distingish the type of socket the processor uses (for example the newest 4th generation Intel Core processors are using socket 1150) then you simply match that socket between the two.

Not sure if you have seen the recommendations for pcpartpicker.com, but this site will take all of the guesswork out of your build. Not only will it tell you where to buy the part at it's absolute cheapest, it will also tell you how many watt power supply you will need to power the PC, and it will also tell you if you have selected parts that will not work together. Even if you don't order from the sites it lists, it's good to run your parts through the tool to check for compatibility issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First time in a console launch that the PC looks like the better option... wait let me think about that... yep first time.
    Yup

Plus, Sony is gonna charge people for online gaming on the PS4

Not that I'm an online gamer (except when it comes to owning Ironmaxipad on FIFA), but it's still re ed

Banned
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    There you go.

Now as to your question about understanding what parts to buy, I can help you with that too. It all starts with buying the most up to date motherboard technology, and the processor, GPU, and RAM that goes with it. The only item that may not be compatible with a motherboard of those that I just listed is the processor, however once you learn to distingish the type of socket the processor uses (for example the newest 4th generation Intel Core processors are using socket 1150) then you simply match that socket between the two.

Not sure if you have seen the recommendations for pcpartpicker.com, but this site will take all of the guesswork out of your build. Not only will it tell you where to buy the part at it's absolute cheapest, it will also tell you how many watt power supply you will need to power the PC, and it will also tell you if you have selected parts that will not work together. Even if you don't order from the sites it lists, it's good to run your parts through the tool to check for compatibility issues.
    appreciate it
    Yup

Not that I'm an online gamer (except when it comes to owning Ironmaxipad on FIFA), but it's still re ed
    not really THAT big of a deal considering there are already many users who pay for ps+ now. Considering its still useful for ps3, ps vita(those will still be free online play) you can still use other internet based apps for free, you get "free" games and sales every month, its honestly not bad for $50 a year. M$ is the one to laugh at in this category

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Use this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&output=html

Different builds for different budgets. Mix and match to your preference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup

consoles

Steam = 100% Free

Features: online gaming, friend system, chat and voice parties, integrated Steam workshop to easily share and download modded content, demos, weekly sales up to 75% off in some cases, Big Picture Mode that allows you to have a couch gamer friendly interface specifically geared to gaming and web browing with a controller.

If you wan't Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Crackle, etc. then ing open a web browser and do it, it's a PC afterall.

Thread Information