Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2258
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the spurs get out of a Portland-Miami deal that would make them want to help facilitate as a 3rd party?
    Nothing IMO outside of Sharpe or Simmons which I highly doubt happens…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gorgui Dieng patiently waiting by his phone, prepared to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid
    He'll come in at the salary floor number to the penny. And play 9 minutes...this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reaves was restricted and the Lakers couldn't give him any more than they did. If a team gave Reaves an offer, the Lakers could have waited until the 7th to match the offer and keep him. Apparently no team wanted their cap space to be in limbo for a week and most likely end up not getting Reaves at the end of that week.
    Would be funny if the lakers had no intention of matching 4/100 but successfully bluffed everybody out of submitting any offer at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    26s
    Free agent center Dwight Powell has agreed on a deal to return to the Dallas Mavericks, sources tell ESPN.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers the best team in the West . Y’all slurp other teams more than your own team some time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    1m
    Powell has agreed to a three-year, $12 million deal, sources said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing people sometimes forget is that the player has to accept (sign) an offer sheet.

If Reaves had no intention of signing an offer sheet with the Spurs (or perhaps anyone else), nothing else matters -- the effort never goes anywhere.

Also, if a player signs an offer sheet, he has to be prepared to play in that town for a fair amount of time. Maybe Reaves didn't want to take that chance.

Simply put, Reaves is a big fan favorite in LA and may just want to stay there.
    Yes he has to sign the offer sheet but if he doesn't then the Lakers only have to offer the max 4/56 and not whatever said team's offer sheet raise. And he's from Arkansas. He would have signed an offer sheet here and risked a higher salary and a chance to play with the next generational talent with a decade championship window as opposed to the last generational talent with maybe 1 more championship year left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Champagnie is a non-bird player, I don't think he is eligible to the 8% raise/decrease.

If the last year is a team option:
    $3,200,000
    $3,040,000
    $2,880,000
    $2,880,000

If the last year is non-guaranteed:
    $3,243,243
    $3,081,081
    $2,918,919
    $2,756,757
    Yeah, looks like he had to have been on the team two years to get the 8% decline. Maybe something changed in the new CBA but I think your numbers are right.

It'd be nice if the contract is something like the first two years guaranteed, the third year half guaranteed and the final year completely unguaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Reaves knew the lakers would match there’s literally no reason for him not to sign an offer sheet with someone else

his agents failed to extract an offer. At least he got a player option in year 4. He may as well decline it now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a bet I’ll give Mr. Body

if Reaves opts into that last year, you win. If Reaves opts out, i win

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the spurs get out of a Portland-Miami deal that would make them want to help facilitate as a 3rd party?
    Give up 1st round pick and couple 2nd for Herro. Ideally only 5 second round picks and no 1st but that won’t be enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reaves was restricted and the Lakers couldn't give him any more than they did. If a team gave Reaves an offer, the Lakers could have waited until the 7th to match the offer and keep him. Apparently no team wanted their cap space to be in limbo for a week and most likely end up not getting Reaves at the end of that week.
    Which is surprising given this FA class sucks and we have not seemingly seen the level of deals announced that we usually do. Theres tons of guys…not signed so what are these teams worried about exactly?

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear SA native Jordan Clarkson could be moved by Jazz. Thoughts?
    don’t know why they’d move him when they’re talking about an extension

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One reason agents are key to getting an offer sheet for Reaves is relationships and backscratching. You know, "If you can make it July 5 with $20m in cap please sign my guy to a 3/60. Or a 3+1. Do this for us knowing the Lakers will match and I'll help you out in a future draft steering a guy you want to you. Limiting workouts, skipping interviews, etc. And next time you're in a jam I can help you with a free agent"

But because Reaves has dollar store scrub agents, there's nothing there as far as trust or a relationship. Why would the Spurs want to work with them if not for screwing the Lakers? Could the Spurs even trust these wannabees to keep their word if the Spurs maintained cap?

Because I don't think the Spurs could trust them to not fold under the pressure. The Lakers probably wined and dined these nobodies who couldn't afford to eat at the nice restaurants they were eating at, and then threatened that the Lakers offer of 50 would be pulled and Reaves would fire them and get real agents and these guys folded in puddles of sweat.

Because their other clients are guys like:

Colin Castleton. - Coincidentally just signed a 2-way with the Lakers
    Leon Ayers III - undrafted and so far unsigned in 2023
    Shayne Whittington - played 2 years and 27 games in NBA last in 15-16. Played in Japan 2 years ago.
    Dru Smith - was on a 2 way with Brooklyn, did not receive a qualifying offer. Will turn 26 in December, not a lot of high hopes for the future career.
    Maalik Wayns - 32 years old, career ended in the Iranian League 3 years ago, now a high school coach

And Andrew Bynum is listed as a client who last signed a contract in 2013 as his career was winding down.

Hoopshype lists him with only 1 NBA player.

Bottom line I don't think the Spurs trusted this agency to do that kind of business with. Tying up your cap with the significant risk of these guys just signing with LA anyway ... Too much. This agency would be in no position to ever suffer the consequences from screwing SA over because they have no clients or relationships to value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he has to sign the offer sheet but if he doesn't then the Lakers only have to offer the max 4/56 and not whatever said team's offer sheet raise. And he's from Arkansas. He would have signed an offer sheet here and risked a higher salary and a chance to play with the next generational talent with a decade championship window as opposed to the last generational talent with maybe 1 more championship year left.
    I could be wrong, but didn't his agent warn teams not to draft him in the 2nd round because he wanted to take the two-way deal from Lakers?

I do agree that it would've been smart for him sign the sheet and force the Lakers to match. But Reaves doesn't seem interested in smaller markets at all. He's got that Kuzma mindset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Herro sucks and his contract sucks…NO THANKS

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there's a realistic chance that Lilliard comes here, it's seemed likely to be Miami for months. But...

If you can get him for a really low asset price I think it's worth it. Realistically, he's an elite offensive player, who'd be devastating in a pick and roll with Wemby.

I think the more realistic trade is realising that Herro is the main trade value piece (Ugh...Not a big fan, think he's overrated as ), though Portland has no use in Herro alongside Simons, Scoot and Sharpe other than an asset - So they'd probably try and flip him immediately for a big / wing / draft picks.

Possible to see three team trade with:
    Dame to Heat,
    Herro to Spurs (or some other team looking for a guard upgrade, please not us)
    Rest of Miami assets to Portland, Assets from third team to Portland.
    Think I'd prefer Herro to Simons if I'm Portland. Similar statistically but Herro's got two inches on Simons and put up his numbers on a team trying to win games while Simons was tank commander once Dame shut it down this year as well as most of last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You simps are gonna obsess over Reaves all summer, aren't you? It's going to be nonstop Austin Reaves. And then when he turns out to just be me ordinary shmo you're gonna pretend you never said a word about him.

Why does this happen every summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Reaves knew the lakers would match there’s literally no reason for him not to sign an offer sheet with someone else
    Would be funny if the lakers had no intention of matching 4/100 but successfully bluffed everybody out of submitting any offer at all
    "So, Austin, how lucky do you feel?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of basketball world chatter claiming the Spurs will get in and trade picks for Herro.

Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think high level - we could have seen Sa in on some of these opportunities OKC/DET got in on for their cap space that yielded better ROI than Cedi deal for example. Outside of that, IF the Cedi deal was truly to reach floor, easily could have just signed McDaniels or Grant or someone that is actually a remotely interesting player to accomplish the same goal while getting something more valuable than another 2nd; a legit player with a spark of upside

Beyond that, there were opportunities like Reaves or trades like Obi Toppin (again, I think SA can’t worry about fit too much, just look for value and talent at this point especially when cost is cap space and 2 2nds or less which we have a million of).

All small things and maybe they do sign McDaniels for example to a decent 1 year deal and it shows Cedi deal was smart business to a degree vs just money…its fluid. But they have definitely been less opportunistic this off season after landing Wemby than other teams in similar scenarios (INDY, DET, OKC)
    Looks like no one offered Reaves more than he got in LA.

I believe spurs are commited to the players they have and privilege continuity, or actually not changing anything to the good atmosphere in that team that Wemby himself mentioned...

Spurs are hyper precautious, since adding any or several of the players you mention implies cutting time or "doghousing" some in the current roster and maybe messing up with the good vibe with one or two vets who may not fit the iden y of that group.. Spurs probebly want to make everything to privilege Wemby's comfort so he can be in the best conditions to develop, while trying to see who among the youngsters or 'bargain bin" guys could stick... Developing the team via FA may be for the next 2-3 years.

Now saying this, they may still make a move.
    Last edited by JPB; 07-01-2023 at 04:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Su ious the Lillard trade news breaks and then AR signs on the cheap with the Lakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like no one offered Reaves more than he got in LA.

I believe spurs are commited to the players they have and privilege continuity, or actually not changing anything to the good atmosphere in that team that Wemby himself mentioned...

Spurs are hyper precautious, since adding any or several of the players you mention implies cutting time or "doghousing" some in the current roster and maybe messing up with the good vibe with one or two players who may not fit the iden y of that group.. Spurs want to make everything to privilege Wemby's comfort so he can be in the best conditions to develop, while trying to see who among the youngsters or 'bargain bin" guys could stick... Developing the team via FA may be for the next 2-3 years.
    They could do all that an still take on the deals DET/OKC did for better ROI and then just cut players for example…or trade Doug for a legit good asset and then sign someone to replace him for example

Lots of ways vs just squandering any real opportunities with all the assets (moving up in draft for example). Im not second guessing Spurs overall; they have done a great job as I said. Just feels a bit like they aren’t the most creative bunch at times but no biggie

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not funny, that's exactly what happened most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass on Herro. His contract isn’t ideal. His defense, while improved, still isn’t good either. And his court-side wardrobe when he’s not playing is atrocious. He is a good offensive player though. I’ll give him that. 20 PPG scorers on 50% efficiency and 38% from 3 don’t grow on trees.

Thread Information