Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Disagree, their burgers like Killa said were fresh back when every other fast food joint was frozen crap and they have pretty fresh tasting fries, you can see them making them out of fresh potatoes if you eat inside. Plus their shakes are killer while McDonalds, Whataburger, and all have these artificial ass shakes that taste like . The service is good too, I never get a burnt burger or a soggy bun or any low quality like that because they have been paying their workers well for decades so their workers give a about quality control. Whereas if I go to Whataburger it's a real crapshoot; eg their patty melt is great when it's fresh, but 2/3 of the time I get one it's on soggy ass bread and ing gross and reminds me why I don't go there much any more.
    In DFW it’s the same … two different locations in Frisco … for Whataburger and one can give you great service and fresh food the next soggy bun dry burger. In n out I taste a slight difference in Texas but service is 10x better than Whataburger in fact from. Fast food perspective only chick fil a is on par

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also the book makes it sound like Riley was pretty submissive to the players his first couple of years as head coach, much less starting off as Westhead's assistant.
    I don't think the portrayal of Westhead is accurate. I have watched some clips and interviews of Westhead on YouTube and he strikes me personality wise as a very strong aggressive guy that doesn't take from anyone. On the show they portray Westhead as this weak guy who lacks confidence and is not assertive.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the portrayal of Westhead is accurate. I have watched some clips and interviews of Westhead on YouTube and he strikes me personality wise as a very strong aggressive guy that doesn't take from anyone. On the show they portray Westhead as this weak guy who lacks confidence and is not assertive.
    One thing the book says that really got the team to respect Westhead was that he didn't take any bull from Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team. The 79-80 team ing hated Haywood, especially Kareem. But then Showtime asserts Westhead tried to put his own offense in the next season now that he wasn't interim anymore, some simplistic college ball , and the players hated it but Buss had his back.

Highly recommend reading Showtime though. It's pretty funny reading Frank Brickowski's tales of Magic's parties, made me feel bad for Brick when the Spurs traded Mychal Thompson for him. Though I'm sure life was good for him here too, I still remember Mark Olberding talking about how much he loved the Mexican pussy in San Antonio when I was a little kid rebounding for him before a game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing the book says that really got the team to respect Westhead was that he didn't take any bull from Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team. The 79-80 team ing hated Haywood, especially Kareem. But then Showtime asserts Westhead tried to put his own offense in the next season now that he wasn't interim anymore, some simplistic college ball , and the players hated it but Buss had his back.

Highly recommend reading Showtime though. It's pretty funny reading Frank Brickowski's tales of Magic's parties, made me feel bad for Brick when the Spurs traded Mychal Thompson for him. Though I'm sure life was good for him here too, I still remember Mark Olberding talking about how much he loved the Mexican pussy in San Antonio when I was a little kid rebounding for him before a game.
    I read 3 ring Circus which was by the same author that wrote Showtime. 3 Ring Circus was about the Shaq-Kobe Lakers from '96-'04. I found it pretty entertaining from a comedic standpoint. That team was truly filled with a bunch of clowns. Shaq and Kobe and both portrayed in the books as equally as rotten but in different ways. There are a lot of good stories about Shaq and Kobe in there that I didn't even know of. One that made me laugh was how Shaq was extremely angry after losing game 2 against the Spurs in the '02 playoffs that he confronted Devean George for playing bad and then Brian Shaw told him to cut it out. Shaq responded by grabbing Shaw by his torso and throwing him across the room and screaming "Don't' ever disrespect me like that again"

HBO should have made a show based off that book since they wouldn't have to fictionalize it for it to be entertaining. I'm not sure if they will do it in the future since Kobe looks really bad in the book even outside of the rape allegations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spencer Haywood and sat his ass for being a druggie despite him easily being the third, maybe even second most talented player on that team.
    Haywood must have been one incredible talent in his prime. To be that drugged out and still playing well in games on the 79-80 Flamers, wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol this show has made Cooper look like a ing clown

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was born during the 80's so I missed out on the showtime era but Cooper in his interviews on youtube does strike me as a clown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's worse in the book. Always paranoid about getting cut, then paranoid about getting traded. He's the one who Bird was talking mad to in that game shown in last night's episode after Cooper talked to him like he was another Mike Dunleavy or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The show goes out of it's way to repeatedly portray Westhead as the insecure / indecive.
    Completely lies about the losses and way season unfolded too. Will post next time.

79-80 b.s. portrayals below.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pacers 127
    Lakers 104
    As the team is unraveling and Westhead is having anxiety attacks.
    Complete fabricated b.s.

Reality?:
    Lakers 127
    Pacers 104
    As the Lakers improved to 14-5. Also did NOT play Detroit the next night.

"Pistons 138
    Lakers 116" next night the show claims.
    Complete fabricated bull .

Reality?
    Lakers 138
    Pacers 122
    this was in January the night before the Lakers @ Celtics. LA@Celtics did have a large Boston lead at halftime. Was never "79-66 end of third" but LA did overcome a halftime deficit as Chris Ford the bed. 100-98 Lakers @ Celtics in the end. (Not sure why show spun 99-98 but whatever.) Magic scored 1 point and had 2 assists. Sounds like he got benched.

Nor was LA even in Detroit nor anywhere Michigan near XMass day.
    Nor did they lose to Detroit or Indy that 79-80 season, swept both 2-0 and rolled Detroit both times.
    In fact there was no lull in their win %, pretty much stayed around .666 the whole season (McKinney 10-4 Westhead 50-18). A small 3 game losing steak early had them at 14-8, that was as bad as it got. Was the ONLY place the portrayal would even slightly fit.

We can take this as a total popcorn production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more on Winning Times portrayal of Westheads 1st season being on the brink of disaster vs reality.

To say that Westhead found success in his first season in Los Angeles would be putting it mildly. His longest losing streak was two games, and that only happened twice. He had four separate win streaks of at least five games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez, Riley comes off like a huge bag in the Showtime book. Especially running that geriatric team into the ground in their layoff before the 89 Finals when they were on an 11-0 run having swept the first three series, getting Bryon Scott injured for the series in a rebounding drill in that time off and likely contributing to Magic's hamstring pull in Game 2. What a up taking a team that was 11-0 in the playoffs and running them into the ground with a second training camp right before facing the Pistons in the Finals. Also lol that the team mostly hated Kareem after 85-86.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was born during the 80's so I missed out on the showtime era but Cooper in his interviews on youtube does strike me as a clown.
    He's worse in the book. Always paranoid about getting cut, then paranoid about getting traded. He's the one who Bird was talking mad to in that game shown in last night's episode after Cooper talked to him like he was another Mike Dunleavy or something.
    man I can't wait to read the books

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez, Riley comes off like a huge bag in the Showtime book. Especially running that geriatric team into the ground in their layoff before the 89 Finals when they were on an 11-0 run having swept the first three series, getting Bryon Scott injured for the series in a rebounding drill in that time off and likely contributing to Magic's hamstring pull in Game 2. What a up taking a team that was 11-0 in the playoffs and running them into the ground with a second training camp right before facing the Pistons in the Finals. Also lol that the team mostly hated Kareem after 85-86.
    Riley wanted to control everything lol; the whole playbook, the cheerleaders, the music (it's no wonder he left NY for Miami as he wanted a bigger role)

Magic also acted like a ty teammate after Kareem retired, berating his teammates during practice, especially Divac who was a rookie and had just joined the NBA when it wasn't global yet - sp he needed an adjustment period.

Magic also led a mutiny and leaked stuff to the press to get Riley fired, creating frictions with his teammates in the process and Cooper wanting to fight him during practice

Rotten club to the core, good thing their 80s les were there to hide how dysfunctional and toxic this franchise always has been

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Riley wanted to control everything lol; the whole playbook, the cheerleaders, the music (it's no wonder he left NY for Miami as he wanted a bigger role)

Magic also acted like a ty teammate after Kareem retired, berating his teammates during practice, especially Divac who was a rookie and had just joined the NBA when it wasn't global yet - sp he needed an adjustment period.

Magic also led a mutiny and leaked stuff to the press to get Riley fired, creating frictions with his teammates in the process and Cooper wanting to fight him during practice

Rotten club to the core, good thing their 80s les were there to hide how dysfunctional and toxic this franchise always has been
    Book says Riley was loved by the players early on because he was one of them, having been a role player in the 70s, and because he always welcomed their input. But by the mid 80s he started thinking he was hot and some superstar coach and was always pissed he didn't win COY for winning with such a ridiculously stacked roster even though scrub ass Westhead won a le with a less talented roster than any of Riley's le teams.

Also makes it sound like Magic started copying all of the bad traits of Riley once Abudl-Jabbar was gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Book says Riley was loved by the players early on because he was one of them, having been a role player in the 70s, and because he always welcomed their input. But by the mid 80s he started thinking he was hot and some superstar coach and was always pissed he didn't win COY for winning with such a ridiculously stacked roster even though scrub ass Westhead won a le with a less talented roster than any of Riley's le teams.

Also makes it sound like Magic started copying all of the bad traits of Riley once Abudl-Jabbar was gone.
    To be fair, I can see why the players were not happy with Riley anymore; micromanaging, not listening to players suggestions anymore, and to top it off, during the Suns series, pointing the finger at every Laker for playing lie except Magic and singling him out in the process

I just think it could have been handled better but communication has never been the Lakers' forte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lenny Bias living, the Rockets guards not being decimated by Laker Stern and 85 was the end of Showtime imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lenny Bias living, the Rockets guards not being decimated by Laker Stern and 85 was the end of Showtime imo.
    Stern putting his foot down on coke usage after Bias was the greatest thing he ever did. The NBA was losing so much talent to cocaine. Of course Bias. Spencer Haywood was a monster, like Giannis or DRob and would have probably been better than Kareem had he never touched the blow. Micheal Ray Richardson almost singlehandedly took down the same Sixers team in 84 that went 12-1 sweeping the Lakers for a le in 83. David Thompsons career ended with a whimper thanks to coke. Ice was a s of his former self by 31 or 32 because of coke. Stern absolutely had to stop it and I'm grateful he took a hardline on it to clean up the league. Early 80s basketball was unwatchable outside of the Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, and Bucks with all the dope fiends in the league. Besides, Mitc Wiggins, Lewis Lloyd, Rodney McCray, and Robert Reid weren't why the Rockets took the Lakers down. Kareem always pussing out when going against a truly elite bigman is why Houston won the conference in 86, just like when they won the conference in 81 and it was Moses bending the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar over the table.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 04-19-2022 at 03:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^
    Is that why his teammates hated him after the 86 season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stern putting his foot down on coke usage.
    Entire league is on coke but only Rockets guards are put out for the 1987 year by Laker Stern.

1986 was a team win, with even Lewie Lloyd and Wiggins rising to the occasion to help shut down the Lakers.
    Sure, Hakeem and Ralph Sampson were keys in working the vastly over rated Kream and Worthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Entire league is on coke but only Rockets guards are put out for the 1987 year by Laker Stern.

1986 was a team win, with even Lewie Lloyd and Wiggins rising to the occasion to help shut down the Lakers.
    Sure, Hakeem and Ralph Sampson were keys in working the vastly over rated Kream and Worthy.
    Worthy's not overrated IMO, I think he was rated fine. He was never considered a franchise guy, just a really nice #2 option, which he was. Kareem being rated top 5 all-time by a lot of people though is laughable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chick Hern portrayed as a pretty douchie condescending-arrogant too. True?
    And alcoholic?

His daughter, Samantha Hearn, died of pneumonia May 24, 1991, brought on by anorexia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic went and made an entirely different show to deflect

Kareem doesnt see the humor and wrote a blog about how problematic it is

Jerry West is angry and demands an apology

mmmmmmm....... they can't handle the truth

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    at Kareem mad
    Logo wants an apology