Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just depressing tbh. Kawhi is a of a player and it sucks seeing this happen.
    It is depressing as , because players as amazing as Kawhi don't come around in a draft every year and you need someone at his level to have much of a chance of being a real contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe Pop and RC are capable of a rebuild and certainly not with young guys. Their time is past.
    I completely disagree. RC has been nothing but excellent in the draft and Pop and his staff are exceptional at player development. Pop probably doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild considering his age and the mountain of money he's sitting on, but he'd be my first choice of coach to rebuild with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's coaching style helped Kawhi get a finals MVP (don't forget the "Thanks for pushing me" quote from Kawhi to Pop) and allowed Kawhi to do what he wanted and show his game all season last yr, which probably hurt Aldridge's production.
    I guess only LMA hurts his own production last season. He didn't want #2 option spot and let it's clear in games where he didn't even tried to make an effort...

Also, Pop didn't find a way to make Kawhi/LMA mesh in two seasons. He refused to run P&Rs together, he didn't design plays where both players work together.

It was just "take your turn" offense.
    Since Kawhi was the most versatile scorer and superior player on the team it's obvious he would be the main guy. But it shouldn't have been an issue, shouldn't hurt LMA if he would have been willing to be the second guy.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 03-30-2018 at 11:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not disagreeing with you. But this Pop is definitely not the Pop of yesteryear. Kawhi is getting the old senile grandpa who passes gas in the middle of the grocery store isle because “ it, what are you gonna do.”
    So you are saying he has lost it as a coach? The team is still probably going to make the playoffs. And this roster is not that great when you take the best player off the team. So he is still a great coach. In terms of dealing with personalities. It’s always been the Spurs way or you don’t play here. If KL is not down with that so long. he’s not playing period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would this be surprising? Kawhi has a strong rep as gym-rat, unmatchable work ethic.

Like Shaq said "He's a class act, I'm not gonna question him. If the man says he's hurt, he's hurt"

This TD21 and daslicer theory about media black men supporting Kawhi...IDK. I think is more about a status issue -and to a lesser extent, knowledge about how injuries work-

Media is about fans/people buying stories, these guys on TV can't talk about old players like Parker who most fans barely remember who is...
    "Parker? Jabari Parker, the Greek Freak teammate? Who's Eva? latin actress? Eva Mendes? Barry wife? Who....?"

I'm 24 years old, when I talk with non-spurs fans friends I have a hard time trying to explain who are Spurs players, they remember they beat LeBron in 2014 but forgot about the whole roster.

On other hand, Kawhi isn't exactly the most charismatic guy in the league but people remember he was MVP candidate last season, the LeBron/KD vs Kawhi games of last season...
    It's weird, the Zaza thing made Kawhi more visible for masses...Kawhi turned into the good guy of movie who couldn't beat Warriors three-headed dragon just for that horrible Zaza.

Parker and Manu are legends, they're HOFers. At the same time for the fans-target audience of most sports TV shows, they're old af, just role players talking about an NBA MVP candidate, it's pretty obvious media would support Kawhi for business.

Also, former players know that many times in NHL/NBA/MLB/NHL history, doctors were wrong when they cleared players who were still injured.

These former players on TV are just saying they knew their own bodies better than other teammates and team's doctors.

Why do you thing that Parker/Manu talked about Kawhi? Don't be naive. Anything with Pop is purely coincidence.

Everyone knows in this league that no player talks about the franchise player in public.

Thunder, Pacers, Clips...They had chemistry issues but KD/PG13/CP3's teammates and coaches never talked about them until the big dog leaves the team

In this case, Parker and Manu already did it. What they said could damage other role player's rep but not Kawhi's. Like I've said before there is a status reason giving to Parker/Manu's words a negative effect for the Spurs in public.

Something like "These old guys trying to rush humble-gym rat Kawhi back?? WTF? Look at IT & Boston, it's Kawhi's own right not to play injured"

Most NBA non-spurs fans see this like...

I think of you as probably a young sheltered suburban kid with no real life experience. Posting that video of Cris Carter does not help your argument. Carter is going to be biased as towards supporting Kawh simply because he says that he knows Kawhi's people which again helps my earlier argument in which I said these guys are auditioning to be Kawhi's insider. Anyways look at several posters who are super pro-black and feel Kawhi is sticking it to the man by what he's doing to the spurs. I feel a lot of these black sports analysts and former players have the same mindset when it comes to defending Kawhi. In their eyes the spurs are a very white organization that is bullying an innocent black man in Kawhi when it comes to this injury. You may have a hard time accepting that these guys have that racial mindset but I believe their mindset is much more closer to Harlem Heat than your world outlook. To me you showed your were clueless about race when you were getting emotional in a post a few weeks ago because you were shocked that your black friends had told you that they believed Draymond was a real black man since he shows emotions and speaks out on issues. I guarantee you that if Kawhi's traded and it's proven Kawhi's uncle set this up and the injury wasn't legit these black analysts will then spin it by saying "Kawhi made a power move you can't hate on that. He was showing empowerment as a player by taking control of the situation." The majority of people have racial biases towards their own race in this world and to act like they don't is showing you lack awareness.

You could be right about Pop being behind Tony and Manu peaking out about Kawhi's injury to the media. But ask yourself this question why would Parker and Manu then willingly take the bullet for Pop? I know you are going to say loyalty but I doubt it. Its possible that Manu and Tony could know the real deal behind Kawhi's injury in which it's not legit and know of the bs Kawhi's uncle is trying to pull. I'm guessing they are fed up with this bs and just have had enough of it. Both Manu and Parker are on the verge of retiring so unlike other teammates they are in a position where they don't have to worry about their future in this league. Also when you get older like these guys are you tend to not tolerate bs. Your Paul George example is a terrible example because PG was actually honest with his teammates from the get go that he wanted to be in LA and because of that there was no drama with his teammates. Your KD example is another bad example because there was no chemistry problems in OKC. KD was very passive in OKC so his teammates didn't know that he actually hated playing with Westbrook including Westbrook himself. How are they going to trash KD during the time they played with him if they didn't know he actually hated playing with them? Hence why KD has gotten the nickname the snake.

I'm not buying the IT alibi. IT is an undersized 5'7 PG which physically is a major turn off for a lot of teams when it comes to offering the max. I know Boston prior to the injury was hesitate to give him the max simply because they felt his height made him a huge disability and that he was only good because of Steven's system but was not a legit superstar. Boston was never going to win a championship with IT and Ainge knew this. I believe if IT was healthy the Celtics still wouldn't have given him the max because they would have seen him fail again against Lebron-Cavs and see he wasn't worth that investment when it comes to building a a championship team. Kawhi on the other hand is a legit superstar. I have heard Nick Wright even say he was going to get the max regardless of this injury. The only thing he risks possibly losing is the super max but he would still get offers on the open market for the max.

My last point is this injury is a farce in my eyes. I don't believe it's legit. I have talked to a good friend of mine whose a doctor along with my uncle who is also a doctor. They have both said they believe this injury is not legit. The spurs medical staff has cleared Kawhi and I actually trust them because for years they have been one of the best staffs in the league. Pop and RC also have a history of being super cautious when it comes to injuries. It's hard for me to believe the spurs medical staff and RC/Pop have suddenly jumped the shark when it comes to credibility.

If I'm proven wrong about this I will gladly eat crow like I have in the past about other subjects on this forum. I have taken my stance on this issue and you have taken yours. We will see who is right.
    Last edited by daslicer; 03-30-2018 at 02:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one else has had a problem. Jazz chose D Will over Sloan. Didn't work out for them.
    Who would have a problem? The overpaid players? Or LMA getting all the touches he wants?

And if any of the young guys had a problem, they sure aren't going to voice it with Manu and Parker around.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meshing of players is more on the leading player of the team offering direction and player chemistry on court than it is on the coach. That IS Kawhi 's biggest dilemma in any team. He cannot be anything but the leading player and ball getter but he can't lead his team or make other star players better. For a team's benefit he fits in much better as a strong second option following leadership (14-15 Spurs) which in turn is a total disservice to his immense on baller talent.

I guess only LMA hurts his own production last season. He didn't want #2 option spot and let it's clear in games where he didn't even tried to make an effort...

Also, Pop didn't find a way to make Kawhi/LMA mesh in two seasons. He refused to run P&Rs together, he didn't design plays where both players work together.

It was just "take your turn" offense.
    Since Kawhi was the most versatile scorer and superior player on the team it's obvious he would be the main guy. But it shouldn't have been an issue, shouldn't hurt LMA if he would have been willing to be the second guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The subtle shots keep on coming.

Manu may not be there next season, but it hard to see how this guy can ever look his teammates in the eye again..He wasn't much of leader before, but his actions have been cancerous by default throughout the whole saga..

Dude could have shutdown his own ass from way back in January and let the team avoid any distraction. They probably could have salvaged the season with a 3rd seed and better chance at winning a playoff round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu may not be there next season, but it hard to see how this guy can ever look his teammates in the eye again..He wasn't much of leader before, but his actions have been cancerous by default throughout the whole saga..

Dude could have shutdown his own ass from way back in January and let the team avoid any distraction. They probably could have salvaged the season with a 3rd seed and better chance at winning a playoff round.
    I guess the (small) silver lining is LMA is gaining a ton of team respect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What the do you expect him say when asked how a teammate played after missing a game with a minor injury?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, taking Kawhi at his word, how often does "his medical staff" review his injury? Weekly? Daily? If he is really trying to comeback, I wonder how frequent those checkups are? Most likely after his rehab workouts he has to report how he's feeling and then how well he recovers, but I wonder what the frequency is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, taking Kawhi at his word, how often does "his medical staff" review his injury? Weekly? Daily? If he is really trying to comeback, I wonder how frequent those checkups are? Most likely after his rehab workouts he has to report how he's feeling and then how well he recovers, but I wonder what the frequency is?
    It’s not about any injury. DRob basically said so on the national telecast. Think of it as a very subtle holdout to force a trade. He might not wind up where he wants though. Spurs are usually accommodating, but I don’t think they will be this time. They’ll get the best package, and if Kawhi bolts his new team, he loses even more money, one year, and lower raises on a non-Bird FA deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not about any injury. DRob basically said so on the national telecast. Think of it as a very subtle holdout to force a trade. He might not wind up where he wants though. Spurs are usually accommodating, but I don’t think they will be this time. They’ll get the best package, and if Kawhi bolts his new team, he loses even more money, one year, and lower raises on a non-Bird FA deal.
    What exactly did David say? I missed it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly did David say? I missed it.
    I remember him just saying straight up that Kawhi doesn't have leadership skills and he's just not a leader. He kept on saying there was a leadership problem going on with Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We weren't wrong. He's coming back next season and owning the f'ing league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the (small) silver lining is LMA is gaining a ton of team respect.

Yeah, but in the meantime the message is getting really obvious and awkward for the intended recipient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, but in the meantime the message is getting really obvious and awkward for the intended recipient.
    It should be awkward for him. He’s being a little .

It seems like the gloves are coming off, at this point. They’re not really trying to hide their disdain. That tells me there is a divorce on the horizon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It seems like the gloves are coming off, at this point. They’re not really trying to hide their disdain. That tells me there is a divorce on the horizon.
    Yep, I think he gone. Didn't want to believe it but I'm starting to lean heavily that way.

There are two things that make me hesitant to go all in though.

1. Why did the Spurs team doctors come around to agreeing with his NY doctors that he's still hurt?

2. The whole "return from injury management" thing still doesn't make sense to me though. It seems as if he is gone, they'd simply list him out for the year...unless they are just trying to really put it on him. But then #1, really, really wouldn't make sense.

So, I'm flustered.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ya its becoming pretty obvious. The quotes keep topping each other for frankness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember him just saying straight up that Kawhi doesn't have leadership skills and he's just not a leader. He kept on saying there was a leadership problem going on with Kawhi.
    The best player on the team is not always the best leader. Look at Curry. Draymond is the vocal leader on the Warriors. When KD was in OKC, Westbrook was the leader. LMA was the same way in Portland. Lillard was seen more as a leader. For the Spurs, Pop will always be the leader. It's his way or the highway. It doesn't matter who leads the team vocally in the lockerroom when Tony and Manu are still there too.

All the comments from Pop and the players seem to be digs at Kawhi. No other team in the NBA would do that to their franchise player unless they already made up their mind like David Aldridge said on NBA TV, that they are going to trade him. The comments are stupid because it just lowers his trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now even the local media is publicly doing their very best 'Tony Parker.' If Pop hasn't told Jeff Mc that Kawhi is leaving and these are just Jeff Mc's 'read what you will' personal digs at Kawhi it's not a great idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best player on the team is not always the best leader. Look at Curry. Draymond is the vocal leader on the Warriors. When KD was in OKC, Westbrook was the leader. LMA was the same way in Portland. Lillard was seen more as a leader. For the Spurs, Pop will always be the leader. It's his way or the highway. It doesn't matter who leads the team vocally in the lockerroom when Tony and Manu are still there too.

All the comments from Pop and the players seem to be digs at Kawhi. No other team in the NBA would do that to their franchise player unless they already made up their mind like David Aldridge said on NBA TV, that they are going to trade him. The comments are stupid because it just lowers his trade value.
    Either they know they won’t get much for him, anyway, or maybe they already have a deal in place, and it doesn’t matter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did David Aldridge say they've made up their mind? Was it during the Thunder game or was it some sort of interview/talk show segment off the court?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's said that there is a bunch of moving parts that's factoring into Kawhi not playing. Basically Kawhi could play if he really wanted to, but he doesn't know if he wants to play here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also the Spurs aren't sure they want Kawhi to be the "Leader" anymore. They're tired of him an ready to move on.

Thread Information