Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think Manu is a bad person at all. I would much rather have a guy that says he does not believe in God but acts like a caring, loving person than someone who says they believe but then are the an hesis of what God stands for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why Manu not believing in God is a big deal. That doesn't effect what he does on and off the court for the Spurs and the way us fans look up to him. He's still a damn good player and a good person either way. I respect him for being honest when asked the question. I think personal beliefs are just that-personal- and a lot of players probably wouldn't comment on their religious beliefs. Kudos to Manu for saying what he believes.
    It is not a big deal. All of these jack asses misconstrued what I was saying. The only thing that I thought was a big deal at all was that it was such a public answer to a sensitive subject. I just thought it COULD bring some negative attention (whether that is right or wrong) onto him.

The point you make was the point I was trying to make though. You say it will not effect they way fans look up to him. I said it might and that is all. I never said he was wrong because of his beliefs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Restarting a fight probably isn't the best use of this reopened thread.
    Not really a fight. Just a petty attempt to be funny by Kori.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 10-12-2008 at 04:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu was agnostic all his life and you people know that today???
    we dont get the bahia blanca argentinian statesman chode

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is not an atheist.....

- Ive heard him multiple times refer to "God"
    -Hes also talked about praying about certain things before...

No debate needed......bad translation....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we dont get the bahia blanca argentinian statesman chode
    speak for youself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe ginobili_is_god was ahead of the curve . . .
    Last edited by timvp; 10-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many GinobiliIsGod was ahead of the curve . . .
    What do you think of this? Now that I have clarified my position on the matter in the previous 3 posts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i cant link memory.....i recall him making references to God before and his prayer comment is in the 2005 Spurs Championship DVD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, it wasn't a bad traslation. But he's agnostic, not atheist.

Not big deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it wasn't a bad traslation. But he's agnostic, not atheist.

Oh, and he still is Manu. Not big deal.
    Agnostics are often compared to atheist. That is not the point though, he can believe what he wants. Are you surprised that he answered such a question so honestly and directly?

I have a couple of questions for you. Are you from Argentina and do you still live there if so? Do most Argentinians believe in God (are they Christians)? If so, do you think some of his fans will be upset if he does not believe?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best judge of whether Manu should say these things or not is Manu. If that's what he said, he knows what he's doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think of this? Now that I have clarified my position on the matter in the previous 3 posts.
    I haven't read the thread. I couldn't care less what Manu believes. He could be in a Satanic cult and drink goat's blood before games for all I care. As long as he does his best to help the Spurs win, he can do whatever he wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best judge of whether Manu should say these things or not is Manu. If that's what he said, he knows what he's doing.
    Fair enough. But the same can be said about Josh Howard and look at what happened there. That was the only point I was trying to make. I thought that answering such questions in this fashion could cause the same reaction (maybe not on a national level because YouTube is very popular vs Manu's forum) due to the subject matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu was an Agnostic he wouldnt have said "I DO NOT BELIEVE"

An Agnostic would say "Im not sure" or "I dont know"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't read the thread. I couldn't care less what Manu believes. He could be in a Satanic cult and drink goat's blood before games for all I care. As long as he does his best to help the Spurs win, he can do whatever he wants.
    No one was (at least I was not) questioning his beliefs. The question was whether or not this subject (religion) should be talked about in a forum for all to see. I could care less about what he actually believes, I care more about how people act versus what they say they believe.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough. But the same can be said about Josh Howard and look at what happened there.
    What happened to him? Last I checked, he's still being paid millions to play a child's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry about that.

As for the rest of the thread, it's ridiculous that it's exploding into an argument with DPG21920.

As of Manu's response, I know that I have heard him say, "Thank God..." before, so it's weird that he said he doesn't believe.
    I don't really think it is contradictory. I'm an staunch atheist, but I still say "oh my god" when I'm surprised, or "goddamnit" when I'm frustrated. It's just idiomatic usage. I don't even think about it when I do it. I don't have to believe in blessings to reflexively say "bless you" when someone sneezes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one was (at least I was not) questioning his beliefs. The question was whether or not this subject (religion) should be talked about in a forum for all to see. I could care less about what he actually believes, I care more about how people act versus what they say they believe.
    Religion isn't that taboo of a subject anymore. Saying you don't believe in God won't cause a ripple. You can't compare that to Howard saying he doesn't believe in the National Anthem because he's black.

The number of people in the US who go to church diminishes each year. As do the number of people who claim to believe in God. Publicly stating your religious beliefs is about as controversial as saying who you are going to vote for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread SO needs a link in the 'Best of ST meltdowns'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion isn't that taboo of a subject anymore. Saying you don't believe in God won't cause a ripple. You can't compare that to Howard saying he doesn't believe in the National Anthem because he's black.

The number of people in the US who go to church diminishes each year. As do the number of people who claim to believe in God. Publicly stating your religious beliefs is about as controversial as saying who you are going to vote for.
    Maybe that is why my opinion differed so greatly from everyone's. I just think that religion is still taken very seriously (look at the presidential debate going on about Obama's religion) all over the WORLD, not just the USA like with Howard's comments. Manu is a world star so I thought it might cause some controversy.

I also think that even though you are right about people leaving the church, you are wrong with regards to the reason. I think people are leaving because they are becoming more independent and "modernized". Younger people find their own relationship with God and do not feel that you need to go to church in order to be a good citizen. That does not mean they believe any less or that it is less taboo imo.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 10-12-2008 at 04:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened to him? Last I checked, he's still being paid millions to play a child's game.
    He was plastered across many national publications and brought negative attention to himself and his team. In the long-run, maybe nothing, but to act like no one noticed is just wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread SO needs a link in the 'Best of ST meltdowns'.
    Not even close to a meltdown! This was a debate (where people greatly misconstrued my point). I did not threaten to "retire" or break down into stories about my childhood...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    So if he were a Christian he should say "I believe in Christ but that doesnt mean I'm right or you are wrong. I respect all believes"?

Thread Information