Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1119
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you can take the 8 years sample, or the 2 months sample... but then you would need to know how percentages work... In that sense, the BBC has a point.

But hey, if a blue state like New York, with their own strict gun regulations got the murder rate down, good for them, tbh...

New York is generally perceived to be a highly restrictive state for purchasing, possessing, or carrying firearms. This is especially the case for New York City and its surrounding suburbs, and larger urban centers throughout the state where most New York State residents live and work.

Statewide, New York enforces various firearm related prohibitions, many proscriptions similarly listed in the now-expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban. On January 15, 2013, the state assault weapons ban was made more restrictive by the NY SAFE Act. Specified rifle magazines are banned: a) manufactured after 1994; and b) the magazine holds in excess of 10 rounds (handguns included). In December 2013, a federal judge ruled the seven-round magazine limitation is "'tenuous, straitened, and unsupported,' and therefore uncons utional." Any semi-automatic rifle (with a detachable magazine) or shotgun (non-pump) with just one of these features are banned: 1) pistol grip; 2) bayonet lug; 3) telescoping or folding stock; 4) flash suppressor; 5) threaded barrel; or 6) grenade launcher. The SAFE Act expanded the ban to add the following features: 7) muzzle brake (Dec 2014 Federal court All references to muzzle "brake" be stricken); 8) muzzle compensator; 9) thumbhole stock; and 10) foregrip. All semi-automatic versions of assault-style rifles and shotguns purchased prior to January 15, 2013 are grandfathered, but must be registered within one year of the SAFE Act passage.
    2 month sample is too short and 8 year sample is too long - doesn't take into account the migration.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count

white talking point Chris
    In London, the homicide rate has increased as the British capital experiences a rise in knife-related crime — responsible for 31 deaths this year — while New York City's murder rate has steadily dropped for almost three decades. Of the 54 murders in New York City this year, 32 people died by a firearm.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/04/03/londons-murder-rate-higher-than-new-york-citys/480860002/

Must be those assault knives, AR-15 style bayonets.

Guilty because white deflection Chump

This is 2018. Chris said "rate is higher", didn't say "has always been".

Que blah blah you mad, free rent, lap dog, what color, etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 month sample size

for all of 2018, new york's murder rate is still higher... next thing you know

STAT: london's murder rate higher than new york's on march 15!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    In London, the homicide rate has increased as the British capital experiences a rise in knife-related crime — responsible for 31 deaths this year — while New York City's murder rate has steadily dropped for almost three decades. Of the 54 murders in New York City this year, 32 people died by a firearm.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/04/03/londons-murder-rate-higher-than-new-york-citys/480860002/

The two month murder rate?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    London's murder rate higher than New York. Hand guns were banned in 1997.

/thread
    Has London's murder rate gone up since 1997?

I bet you won't answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical I can't accept these facts so let me compare it to something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical running away from your own take. You brought up 1997, not me.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    white Chris denial

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical running away from your own take. You brought up 1997, not me.
    Funny that wasn't directed at you, and you snuck that post in there seconds before I posted, yet it still applies to you.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, I will compare the two month murder rate to that of the 20 year period you brought up yourself.

self inflicted mortal wound

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny that wasn't directed at you, and you snuck that post in there seconds before I posted, yet it still applies to you.
    How does it apply to me? I'm asking you to elaborate on your theory that banning handguns led to London overtaking New York in murder rate. The starting point would be to show how the ban impacted London's murder rate.

You won't do this because you are an intellectually dishonest aggregator of white supremacist headlines. And a piece of .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

bayonets banned in New York also, tbh... can't possibly account for it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like gun control is working in NY to reduce the murder rate, tbh... time to try it everywhere else

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro it's works really good in Chicago too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is going on with these murder rates?

One way of looking at this is to see it not so much as London getting massively more violent, but rather New York achieving an astonishing drop in its murder rate.

The tally of 290 New York murders in 2017 – while still much higher than London’s corresponding total – has been hailed in America as a hugely encouraging breakthrough. It is definitely the lowest annual murder total since comparable New York records began in 1994 and it is being reported as the city’s lowest number of homicides since the end of the Second World War.

It is also indicative of the fact that since recording 2,245 murders in 1990 and 1,905 in 1989, the city has achieved great things in tackling violent crime – albeit that the precise reasons for the success are hotly debated.

London’s recent history, meanwhile, has been mostly one of steady if unspectacular drops in the murder rate, from 181 homicides in 2005 to 155 in 2007 and 101 in 2013.

When the annual London murder total dropped to 93 in 2014, it was hailed as a great success, the first time since the 1960s that there had been fewer than 100 homicides in a year in the capital.

Since then, of course, London’s annual murder totals have increased: from 93 in 2014 to 116 in 2017, a rise of nearly 25 per cent.

It’s worth remembering, though, that if you look over a time frame of a decade, there were 25 per cent fewer murders in the capital in 2017 than in 2007.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8286866.html

Not sure if the UK measures the passage of time the same way we do but pretty sure 2014 comes well after 1997.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, you brought up NY as the gold standard, tbh... maybe there's something to it after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has London's murder rate gone up since 1997?

I bet you won't answer.
    Too easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, you brought up NY as the gold standard, tbh... maybe there's something to it after all.
    Gold standard is Switzerland where there is .5 guns per person, but I already brought that up.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Gold standard is Switzerland where there is .5 guns per person, but I already brought that up.
    Where is the ammo in Switzerland?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Switzerland not even top 5 in best murder rate in Europe, tbh... Austria, Norway, Netherlands, Ireland and Spain are fairly safe above it (I'm not even including Monaco, tbh, too small)

Taking countries with generally large populations, Japan and Hong Kong are top of the class... but, you don't wanna know what kind of gun control they have there, tbh...

Source UN ODC:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost forgot about Singapore too... 5+ million, one of the toughest gun control laws in the world, tbh...

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearm.../singapore.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Singapore has one of the toughest firearms control laws in the world, according to its former Minister for Law, Professor S. Jayakumar. Jayakumar attributes the fact that Singapore has very few firearm offenses in a time when “we see rampant firearm offences as well as smuggling and trafficking in weapons in the region and elsewhere in the world” to the strict gun control laws, including a “mandatory death penalty for anyone who discharges a firearm in the course of committing a serious offence, even if no one is injured or killed.”

Shiiiiittt...

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Looks like gun control is working in NY to reduce the murder rate, tbh... time to try it everywhere else
    New York Police Department Commissioner James O’Neill has attributed to "precision" policing tactics including building trust with communities in disaffected neighborhoods, targeting the worst offenders and the better use of technology.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Singapore has one of the toughest firearms control laws in the world, according to its former Minister for Law, Professor S. Jayakumar. Jayakumar attributes the fact that Singapore has very few firearm offenses in a time when “we see rampant firearm offences as well as smuggling and trafficking in weapons in the region and elsewhere in the world” to the strict gun control laws, including a “mandatory death penalty for anyone who discharges a firearm in the course of committing a serious offence, even if no one is injured or killed.”

Shiiiiittt...
    Yeah let's do that. You think BLM rioting happens now...

Thread Information