Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC was being interviewed during the Knicks summer league game and said Richards is getting surgery and will probably play overseas "the next couple of years."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. That sucks. I wonder if this was something pre-draft? I wish the Spurs would have moved up for Ebanks, even before this news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks . . .

Well, Shaq can now be our sixth Big!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure it was always the plan to leave him overseas for a couple of years.

I don't think they thought he was ready to come over, with or without the injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on now. Surely, no one thought Richards could play for the Spurs this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mind him grooming his game overseas a couple years rather than ride the pine or play in the d-league a la mahinmi....he has a lot of upside and is still young, with splitter here there is no need to rush him...I would like to see him in a more compe ive league tho...the footage I saw of him looked like he was playing against high schoolers.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks about the surgery, but not surprising that the Spurs wanted him to stay overseas for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would have been nice to keep tabs on him in Austin though. The league he is playing in overseas is not much better than the D-Leauge IIRC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I don't like about his playing overseas is that it may be hard for him to find the right situation where he can get enough playing time but the level of compe ion isn't or doesn't become beneath him. His getting loaned out to a low level Swiss team again would suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on now. Surely, no one thought Richards could play for the Spurs this year.
    No, we were hoping he could come over and play in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if he can latch onto a big team than sure, but even then, he might not get the PT to develop. I am sure the Spurs will do their best to get him to a team that can help him develop a la Gist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richards didn't want to be stashed. I hope Spurs have been able to convince him of staying overseas smoothly.

Spurs have now a roster spot available for a 6th PF/C. If the don't let this spot open, the most logical would be to go with a prospect who could play in Austin. Gist has been average in SL before his injury, Spurs could reward him for his patience but I doubt it. Maybe Spurs will find in other SL teams an interesting prospect to work with next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilkerson perhaps?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richards didn't want to be stashed. I hope Spurs have been able to convince him of staying overseas smoothly.

Spurs have now a roster spot available for a 6th PF/C. If the don't let this spot open, the most logical would be to go with a prospect who could play in Austin. Gist has been average in SL before his injury, Spurs could reward him for his patience but I doubt it. Maybe Spurs will find in other SL teams an interesting prospect to work with next year.
    Spurs should give Gist a chance. Maybe playing in Austin will help develop his game

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    I saw a LOT of projected rosters by fans here with him on them. I projected him as a "draft and stash" immediately. He has that Mahinmi "I've hardly played a minute of basketball against good compe ion" stink about him. He's not ready for the NBA. , he's probably not ready for the d-league.

You don't want to overwhelm the kid, so the Spurs should use their contacts to get him put on a ULEB cup team in a compe ive league. I think Euroleague would be too much for him this year.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I don't like about his playing overseas is that it may be hard for him to find the right situation where he can get enough playing time but the level of compe ion isn't or doesn't become beneath him. His getting loaned out to a low level Swiss team again would suck.
    Yeah, on the other hand just look at the past Spurs draft picks who played in Europe and ultimately made the team, vs those who were "groomed" in Austin and never made the team... The reality of it is that European leagues, even though they operate under different rules, are still real leagues compared to the D-league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilkerson perhaps?
    Spurs should give Gist a chance. Maybe playing in Austin will help develop his game
    I like at least this type of player if they can't get a full-on shotblocker. Curtis Withers on the D-League Select is playing this kind of game as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, on the other hand just look at the past Spurs draft picks who played in Europe and ultimately made the team, vs those who were "groomed" in Austin and never made the team... The reality of it is that European leagues, even though they operate under different rules, are still real leagues compared to the D-league.
    Right, but some of the picks stayed in Europe and never even made it to a good team or one on which they could play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't exactly news. Everyone knew that he would need that surgery going into the draft. He'll be fine overseas or in Austin.
    Many were expecting him to play in SL before getting the surgery. The overseas part is definitely news; I hadn't heard anyone like RC talking about the probability of his playing overseas.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to go grab a vet center. You're still chasing the lakers and as of now Duncan and Splitter are the only two guys over 6-10 on the whole roster. There's not much point in carrying some d-league sf/pf when there are absolutely no minutes to be had at PF behind Duncan/Dyess/Blair/Bonner and the Spurs already have a surplus of prospects at SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to go grab a vet center. You're still chasing the lakers and as of now Duncan and Splitter are the only two guys over 6-10 on the whole roster. There's not much point in carrying some d-league sf/pf when there are absolutely no minutes to be had at PF behind Duncan/Dyess/Blair/Bonner and the Spurs already have a surplus of prospects at SF.
    Are there minutes at center behind Duncan/Splitter/Dice/Blair/Bonner?

I guess if they sign Dampier or Shaq there would be .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could probably look it up in his draft prospect thread, but I explained that he couldn't play in SL because of his overseas contract and also the shoulder. I learned about the SL info from a higher source of mine and the shoulder from a Hawks source of mine. So it was clearly well known he would need surgery.
    That doesn't change the fact that many thought he would still be on the SL roster even this week.

I'm not stepping on your scoop, Scoop. Relax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No no, I understand. I just wasn't holding my breath for that reason. Just an opinion but I don't think the Spurs are the ones that will buy out Richards contract. Especially if they don't have plans to play him in San Antonio, they probably don't want him taking a roster spot up and still pay him 500k a year.
    Right. I could have seen its going either way, but it would be understandable if they signed a vet big man, found a prospect in SL they wanted to lock up for a bit or simply wanted to leave a roster spot open. When someone is picked that low, that young there are simply too many unknowns. It seemed like RC made the intentions clear today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richards looks like he could take a shower in a rifle barrel (to quote Chick Hearn about Gervin).

He needs to bulk up just to get Sanikidze-skinny.

I think his shoulder surgery is to create one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could see this one coming from a mile away, regardless of what Richards had in mind.

Thread Information