My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Texas, Ohio State headline 20 best college football coaching jobs - Andy Staples - SI.com

The key factors of these rankings are: proximity to recruits, money, conference affiliation, fan pressure

1. Texas
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Florida
    5. Georgia
    6. LSU
    7. Alabama
    8. Penn State
    9. Auburn
    10. Oregon
    11. Southern Cal
    12. Michigan
    13. Notre Dame
    14. Florida State
    15. Nebraska
    16. Tennessee
    17. Virginia Tech
    18. Arizona State
    19. Arizona
    20. Oklahoma State

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Bama, USC, and Michigan should be higher, IMO

Arizona St doesn't belong anywhere near this list

I also think ND should be a bit lower, but still solidly in the top 20

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Bama, USC, and Michigan should be higher, IMO

Arizona St doesn't belong anywhere near this list

I also think ND should be a bit lower, but still solidly in the top 20
    15 Years ago it took a BS pass interference call to help Ohio State defeat Arizona State in the 1997 Rose Bowl to keep ASU from going undefeated and being named AP champs (strongly rumored).

Not necessarily sure either Arizona school belongs right now, but if ease of entry, facilities, climate, atmosphere and conference affiliation factor in heavily, I can see how ASU is to-20. All help land prospects like Burfict.

Arizona should be. Still haven't figured out how the sleeping giant is still sleeping, even after their fame with Desert Swarm. There's zero logical reasons that would keep Arizona from being a perennial top-15 team. Coaching right now hurts, but even recruiting is always middle-of-the-Pac.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    lol list is horrible

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    15 Years ago it took a BS pass interference call to help Ohio State defeat Arizona State in the 1997 Rose Bowl

I suggest you re-watch that last drive. The refs missed a clear non-call against Az St. prior to the pass interference call you are referring to against Az St on David Boston in the end zone. On that play if the Az player didn't grab Boston it was a TD.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    15 Years ago it took a BS pass interference call to help Ohio State defeat Arizona State in the 1997 Rose Bowl to keep ASU from going undefeated and being named AP champs (strongly rumored).
    Okay, debating the PI call in the '03 Fiesta Bowl is one thing, but this is ridiculous. There was at least one obvious PI that wasn't called on that final drive in addition to the one that was.

7:00 on the PI that wasn't called, 8:00 on the one that was.

Edit: NFO was on point.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    neither Arizona team deserves to be on this list, but ASU on this list is especially funny

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Arizona should be. Still haven't figured out how the sleeping giant is still sleeping, even after their fame with Desert Swarm. There's zero logical reasons that would keep Arizona from being a perennial top-15 team. Coaching right now hurts, but even recruiting is always middle-of-the-Pac.
    Stoops' recruiting the last several years being described as "middle of the pack" is a very generous assessment

Not only is this year's team gonna suck and not only will Stoops be fired, it'll be another several year rebuilding project at the least because of how talent barren this team will be once Foles and Criner are gone. Greg "I enjoy licking Stoops' butthole" Byrne has made all the money he's poured into the football program pointless by not only keeping Stoops after last year's abortion but giving him a in raise.
    Last edited by DUNCANownsKOBE; 06-07-2011 at 10:11 PM.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Hahaha... Guess I let all my family of S mies convince me wrongly. Doubt I'll ever defend ASU again. Either way. One bad defensive drive away from winning the AP le, so it speaks to their potential with the right coach. Still, they sort of suck and have sucked for about a decade.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    ASU has had the "sleeping giant" tag, especially in football, for as long as I can remember.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    ASU has had the "sleeping giant" tag, especially in football, for as long as I can remember.
    Same with UA.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    "especially in football," it's not like they're a sleeping giant in basketball

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Sendeck thought they were, as did Bill Frieder who bolted midseason from the eventual 89 Champ Michigan team to coach ASU.

For whatever the reason certain folks think they have potential in basketball. Save for a season here and there that coincides with a draft pick here and there, they've never amounted to much, despite some solid coaches.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I'll always remember when that dumb Paola Boivin had an article that ASU had closed the gap in recruiting with UA after they got Jahii Carson only because UA said they didn't want him

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    You would think that kids would want to go to school in Phoenix. That's why they're considered a sleeping giant.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    You would think that kids would want to go to school in Phoenix.
    Why the would any black athlete want to go to school in one of the most racist cities in the country? Amare Stoudemire demonstrates how much a black athlete can do for the city of Phoenix but still get treated like dog .

Phoenix is a bible beating right wing cesspool that is on its way to being one of the worst cities in the country. My hope is that it doesn't rub off on Tucson.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Why the would any black athlete want to go to school in one of the most racist cities in the country? Amare Stoudemire demonstrates how much a black athlete can do for the city of Phoenix but still get treated like dog .

Phoenix is a bible beating right wing cesspool that is on its way to being one of the worst cities in the country. My hope is that it doesn't rub off on Tucson.
    Not sure if real DoK, but just think about all the elite athletes playing in the deep south. I've only spent a small amount of time in Arizona, but to say any part of that state is more racist than Alabama/Georgia/Miss/Louisiana/Tennessee/Kentucky/West Va/Virginia/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Florida/N&S Carolina is just wrong, at least in my experience. I've lived in the ones that are bolded, so those I know for a fact. I've also traveled extensively to every other one listed

It's interesting to me that some of the most racist people I've met come from the midwest, where you hardly ever see black people unless you live in the city. I met people in the Army who'd never even seen a black person until they got to basic. (one from Minnesota, one from Wisconsin) They were both racist as , born more from ignorance than anything else.

For those reasons I don't think your argument is valid. To me, it has more to do with those programs, themselves. String a few 10 win seasons together, pick up that assistant coach that is brilliant at recruiting, and things can definitely change.

The other reason, imo, is a lack of tradition in football/facilities. If Utah/BYU (another rabidly racist state) can succeed, there's no reason either ASU/UA can't be successful consistently

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    Seems like he also factored in recent success and program problems (except for Ohio State).

I'd have expected USC to be higher on the list, Florida State higher, and Miami at least on the list. Although admittedly, I don't know that much about college football other than general things and mostly only things related to the Big Ten for the most part. I'm surprised to see Penn State so high though. Pennsylvania has some solid high school recruiting, but Penn State is in the middle of ing nowhere.

If I were a highly sought after college head coach with the choice to go anywhere, my top landing spots would be Florida, USC, Texas, and Notre Dame (and I personally hate Notre Dame).

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Also, the influx of money from the new Pac-12 should change things for the better, conference-wide.

That conference going forward will probably be the only one (again,IMO) that can consistently challenge the SEC.

I know this will anger Big10+2 fan, but with the fall of Ohio State (probably premature, they're still loaded with talent), I just can't see anyone other than Michigan/Penn St (once they rid themselves of that shriveled, black shoe wearing troll who wanders their sidelines)/Nebraska returning to dominance, and those are all big 'ifs'.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    If the SEC finally passes a rule to stop over-signing players, maybe that in itself will even the playing field for other major conferences. It helps a great deal when SEC teams are signing 36 recruits a year for 25 scholarships then discarding 11 current players who haven't proven to be worth their scholarships when all the other conferences impose restrictions on over-signing.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Not sure if real DoK, but just think about all the elite athletes playing in the deep south. I've only spent a small amount of time in Arizona, but to say any part of that state is more racist than Alabama/Georgia/Miss/Louisiana/Tennessee/Kentucky/West Va/Virginia/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Florida/N&S Carolina is just wrong, at least in my experience. I've lived in the ones that are bolded, so those I know for a fact. I've also traveled extensively to every other one listed

It's interesting to me that some of the most racist people I've met come from the midwest, where you hardly ever see black people unless you live in the city. I met people in the Army who'd never even seen a black person until they got to basic. (one from Minnesota, one from Wisconsin) They were both racist as , born more from ignorance than anything else.

For those reasons I don't think your argument is valid. To me, it has more to do with those programs, themselves. String a few 10 win seasons together, pick up that assistant coach that is brilliant at recruiting, and things can definitely change.

The other reason, imo, is a lack of tradition in football/facilities. If Utah/BYU (another rabidly racist state) can succeed, there's no reason either ASU/UA can't be successful consistently
    ASU's fanbase is easily more racist than anything in Utah (I know you probably scoff that notion, but you can only discover it living in Phoenix your entire life and being around the typical white trash ASU T-shirter. Utah isn't the state that passed a law basically licensing cops to arrest any Hispanic person they chose.

Other than being racist, ASU fans are also as classless and as meanspirited as they come. When Steve Kerr played at game @ ASU not too long after his dad was assassinated, ASU fans were chanting stuff like "Where's your dad?" the entire game. The also made fun of Lute Olson's wife who had cancer. I've never heard one UA fan make a joke about Pat Tillman.

As far as athletes playing in the South, different story. The South has racist white people but tons of black people. Arizona has racist white people and next to no black people. An SEC nigfreak born in Louisiana who plays football at LSU is expected given that he's just staying home. A SoCal athlete going from an area with tons of other black people to a state with racist white people and no black people isn't gonna happen.

No question both programs have issues, I was responding to the notion that Phoenix makes ASU a sleeping giant. The City of Phoenix doesn't present any recruiting advantages, especially when it comes to African Americans.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Seems like he also factored in recent success and program problems (except for Ohio State).

I'd have expected USC to be higher on the list, Florida State higher, and Miami at least on the list. Although admittedly, I don't know that much about college football other than general things and mostly only things related to the Big Ten for the most part. I'm surprised to see Penn State so high though. Pennsylvania has some solid high school recruiting, but Penn State is in the middle of ing nowhere.

If I were a highly sought after college head coach with the choice to go anywhere, my top landing spots would be Florida, USC, Texas, and Notre Dame (and I personally hate Notre Dame).
    He did, and I totally agree with having USC and FSU higher. FSU had arguably the best recruiting class last year and Jimbo Fisher has people believing again. USC will be back to dominance once they come off sanctions, unless Kiffin s everything up even worse

Problem with the U is their facilities, which are terrible. Fan support(like pretty much all sports teams in SFla), as well as their small alumni base, is only there when you win and win big, and sometimes not even then. See the Rays/Marlins. Miami is also getting raped by FSU/UF/ and deep south SEC schools in recruiting. Add in USF, which is doing a good job of building a respectable program, and you have the recipe for tha U's demise.

Not that they can't get back on track. They have tradition/location in their favor, with southern florida being quite possibly the most fertile recruiting ground in the country

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    ASU's fanbase is easily more racist than anything in Utah (I know you probably scoff that notion, but you can only discover it living in Phoenix your entire life and being around the typical white trash ASU T-shirter. Utah isn't the state that passed a law basically licensing cops to arrest any Hispanic person they chose.

Other than being racist, ASU fans are also as classless and as meanspirited as they come. When Steve Kerr played at game @ ASU not too long after his dad was assassinated, ASU fans were chanting stuff like "Where's your dad?" the entire game. The also made fun of Lute Olson's wife who had cancer. I've never heard one UA fan make a joke about Pat Tillman.

As far as athletes playing in the South, different story. The South has racist white people but tons of black people. Arizona has racist white people and next to no black people. An SEC nigfreak born in Louisiana who plays football at LSU is expected given that he's just staying home. A SoCal athlete going from an area with tons of other black people to a state with racist white people and no black people isn't gonna happen.

No question both programs have issues, I was responding to the notion that Phoenix makes ASU a sleeping giant. The City of Phoenix doesn't present any recruiting advantages, especially when it comes to African Americans.
    Makes sense. I agree there is nothing that screams 'destination' about Phoenix, or ASU in general.

fwiw, Georgia (i think) just passed a similarly draconian law to Arizona. Your state really set a horrible precedent that others are shamefully trying to follow, IMO

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Sendeck thought they were, as did Bill Frieder who bolted midseason from the eventual 89 Champ Michigan team to coach ASU.
    Thing about Frieder was that when he was at Michigan he was known as a great recruiter who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag- kind of the Rick Barnes/Thad Matta of his day. Yet he didn't even recruit that well at ASU, let alone win.

Pennsylvania has some solid high school recruiting, but Penn State is in the middle of ing nowhere.
    It is definitely in the middle of ing nowhere. But it's the only football school worth a damn in a very good football state- there are only three FBS programs in PA as opposed to eight in Ohio- and it's the only traditional power in reasonably close proximity to the Northeast Megalopolis (unless you count Syracuse, which you shouldn't.)

Also, it's hardly the only major football power in BFE.

Thread Information