Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excuse me Timvp, where is the 12 million savings coming from??
    it takes away the $12 million (slightly less) that RJ was supposed to earn in his final year of the contract.

SJax;s contract basically ends 1 year sooner.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shamsports is your friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it could be more than $12 million if the Spurs are in luxury tax land... just great move. RJ is somebody's else problem now

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson has an expiring contract next year. Where as RJ has a player option after next year. So in 2013 Jackson will be off the books but if we had kept RJ + TJ Ford we would be spending an extra 12 million. Thats the money timvp is talking about.

It does not save us any money next year, which amnestying RJ would have. But people seem to forget that when you use the Amnesty you still have to pay the player it just doesn't count against cap space. The spurs just don't have the kind of cash to do that.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson has an expiring contract next year. Where as RJ has a player option after next year. So in 2013 Jackson will be off the books but if we had kept RJ + TJ Ford we would be spending an extra 12 million. Thats the money timvp is talking about.

It does not save us any money next year, which amnestying RJ would have. But people seem to forget that when you use the Amnesty you still have to pay the player it just doesn't count against cap space. The spurs just don't have the kind of cash to do that.
    it takes away the $12 million (slightly less) that RJ was supposed to earn in his final year of the contract.

SJax;s contract basically ends 1 year sooner.

Right. But as opposed to Amnestying Rj and having his contract not count against the cap. Sure the Spurs still pay his contract, but it doesn't prevent the Spurs from making moves. The only winners here are the Spurs FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol RJ is going to the bench.

RT @cruzkontrolJackson on Stack Jack-Jefferson trade: says Jefferson probably won't start ahead of Wright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you aren't happy to see RJ gone then not even god can help you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is not the point that they were not going to get a big for RJ. The point is the Spurs still have a thin weak frontline and adding Jackson does not fix that.
    So an upgrade is a bad thing now? (even if sjax isn't an upgrade, kawhi is)
    Yes we have a weakness at the 4/5, RJ wasn't going to fix that. This trade exists in a vacuum relative to the big need. RJ was never going to help with that ever. With that being said, and understood we upgraded the 3. So instead of doing nothing, we upgraded the three. Upgrades are good.

Just kicking ass and winning Championships!!! VaSpursFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had to come out of retirement and say welcome back jack...you shouldn't have left us. we will now have at least 2 scorers on the court the entire game now. i think i just wet myself...LOL

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. But as opposed to Amnestying Rj and having his contract not count against the cap. Sure the Spurs still pay his contract, but it doesn't prevent the Spurs from making moves. The only winners here are the Spurs FO.
    If you consider RJ a better player then SJax I suppose so. But I'm not sure why fans would be mad that the Spurs FO saves money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really think the Spurs are going to be doling out loads of cash to FA's after cutting a huge check to RJ and re-signing Duncan?

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you aren't happy to see RJ gone then not even god can help you.

im so excited sjax is back.. can't wait to see this lineup in full effect

it's like 2003 except everyone's older and wiser :p

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With acquisition of Jackson more than anything it shows Pops confidence in Kawhi as a starter. With Leonard moving to the starting line-up with Green that gives the Spurs a heck of 2nd unit, probably the best in the NBA. (Neal, Manu, Jackson, Bonner and Tiago). The 3 perimeter players are explosive and supper clutch, great for the playoff run.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Contenders now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Amnestying RJ would have actually cost us even more money. We would have had to pay the remaining 21M of his contract, plus whatever we pay his replacement.

Instead of doing that, we have an expiring as a HUUUUUGE trading chip next year.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no FA at the 3 position that would help. Playing the free agency is always a risk when it comes to the Spurs. Batum would be the only player I'm interested in but Batum is going to get his from portland (now that the complication with his extension is traded to the nets.)

SJax is a low risk solution that accomplishes multiple things.
    1. We get rid of RJ
    2. We clear cap space for the 2013 project.
    3. We add a much needed play maker after losing TJ and seeing that we may not be able to count on Manu 100%. IMO, a PF and a play maker are the two biggest holes in our roster. We may have just bolstered our play making department by getting rid of RJ.
    4. Holt remains happy.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    You really think the Spurs are going to be doling out loads of cash to FA's after cutting a huge check to RJ and re-signing Duncan?

lol
    Did you share this pessimistic view prior to dumping RJ? Didn't think so.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you smartass know it all as who said RJ was unable to be moved and we were stuck with him. In one of my trades you guys mocked was an RJ for Jackson switch and all you dumb pricks laughed. Yep one of my dumb trade scenarios turned out to actually happen. Suck on that you know it all as.
    If your trade was Rj to the Bucks and Sjax to the Spurs, then it was a stupid trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it could be more than $12 million if the Spurs are in luxury tax land... just great move. RJ is somebody's else problem now
    We need that money to get more frontcourt help. It's not exactly saving anything except Holt's wallet if he wants to be cheap.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    We need that money to get more frontcourt help. It's not exactly saving anything except Holt's wallet if he wants to be cheap.
    Bingo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With acquisition of Jackson more than anything it shows Pops confidence in Kawhi as a starter. With Leonard moving to the starting line-up with Green that gives the Spurs a heck of 2nd unit, probably the best in the NBA. (Neal, Manu, Jackson, Bonner and Tiago). The 3 perimeter players are explosive and supper clutch, great for the playoff run.
    Pop has said Manu's starting is just a matter of time before it happens. Is SJax going to be OK with a rookie starting over him?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that a team that has done everything they could to stay out of the luxury over the years would suddenly be willing to pay someone 20+ million over two years to just go away. Acting as if Holt is a cheap asshole because he doesn't want to do this is insane. The spurs just simply don't have the cash for this to be an option.

So instead of amnestying RJ which doesn't save the FO any money at all. We wait one more year and get the cap space without having to pay RJ. PLUS we get a fan favorite back in SJax. Seems like a win-win to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you share this pessimistic view prior to dumping RJ? Didn't think so.
    Never really had a view tbh...just wanted him gone by whatever means possible. But thanks for dodging the question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade had to be done but it's too bad we had to give up a 1st round pick instead of a 2nd Rd. pick or that we couldn't get the Warriors to at least give up a 2nd round pick to us as part of the deal. This year's draft is supposed to be deep and who knows if we could've found a steal? Oh well, welcome back Jack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information