Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to keep all of their options aware of their interest in case their preferred options go elsewhere. Due diligence here with Kaman. I'm willing to wager Kaman isn't at the top of their list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a bubble, it's arguable Kaman would be the 2nd best big if the Spurs got him. For the money they have to offer (MLE), in terms of value that isn't so bad. But I agree, not a great fit, but I'll take him over Bass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to keep all of their options aware of their interest in case their preferred options go elsewhere. Due diligence here with Kaman. I'm willing to wager Kaman isn't at the top of their list.
    Definitely. But the mere fact that they're even mentioned as interested in Kaman and Camby leads me to believe they're at the very least open to the possibility of a Splitter trade.

Even then, Kaman, in particular, would be an awkward fit to say the least. While overrated, he's still overqualified to be a 20 mpg backup, but that's all he'd be on the Spurs (they could only play him with Duncan against the Lakers). Then again, looking at the other teams on that list, the only other ones he'd start for would be the Pacers, if they don't match Hibbert's offer sheet (which I find hard to believe) and the Mavs, especially if they amnesty Haywood.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have the third best center in the league, the best backup center in the league and may have another quality center waiting in the wings and you want them to pursue an aging, injury prone, relatively immobile, non athletic, plodding center -- who's going to command well in excess of the MLE, no less --, when their biggest need is an athletic, mobile power forward? Keep in mind, they don't have a great deal of financial flexibility either.
    The best backup center in the league and he still can't post up Fisher.

On top that he showed he was too much of a pussy to hit free-throws with the pressure of the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best backup center in the league and he still can't post up Fisher.

On top that he showed he was too much of a pussy to hit free-throws with the pressure of the playoffs.
    I didn't say he was without weaknesses. But those weaknesses don't preclude him from being the best backup center in the league. Keep in mind, I'm talking amongst guys who come off the bench. Really, Gasol is the best backup center in the league by a mile, but he's a starter as well. So in terms of true backups, who's his stiffest compe ion? Most teams either play power forwards at backup center or play some extremely minimal center. Asik (who might be on the verge of becoming the Rockets starting center) and Kanter are probably his stiffest compe ion. But Asik is unlikely to ever be as good and while Kanter probably ends up better, he's not there yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a Big White Stiff like we need a hole in the head. No thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Camby out the picture, wonder what that means for the Kaman situation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps it's Possible:

With @varner48MoH guessing the #Spurs have 2 mill left, S&T Blair to NOH for Kaman could get Kaman around 2.8 mill to sign in SA....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With @varner48MoH guessing the #Spurs have 2 mill left, S&T Blair to NOH for Kaman could get Kaman around 2.8 mill to sign in SA....
    That's wrong on a lot of levels. The Spurs don't have $2M left. Even if they did, you can't combine it in a trade. And Kaman is going to make a lot more than $2.8M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's wrong on a lot of levels. The Spurs don't have $2M left. Even if they did, you can't combine it in a trade. And Kaman is going to make a lot more than $2.8M.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Lots of #'s being thrown out there now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Bonner. Do it RC!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman is the least efficient 19 PPG player, no thanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for clearing that up. Lots of #'s being thrown out there now
    Yeah I just heard the dude on channel 12 say Diaw will be earning 3M a year. I'm in SA for just a few days and happened to turn in the news. I'm not sure how reliable that dude is.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only somehow realistic scenario to land Kaman is a S&T with the Hornets taking back Splitter and Bonner. they might like Splitter, b/c they still need a center and they would likely cut Bonner.
    a package of Splitter and Blair and/or Neal won't match the numbers, it will likely take something in the area of 3 years/24 mio to get Kaman.

but if the Hornets renounce the Kaman Bird rights to be able to absorb the Ryan Anderson contract, this option isn't alive as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only somehow realistic scenario to land Kaman is a S&T with the Hornets taking back Splitter and Bonner. they might like Splitter, b/c they still need a center and they would likely cut Bonner.
    a package of Splitter and Blair and/or Neal won't match the numbers, it will likely take something in the area of 3 years/24 mio to get Kaman.

but if the Hornets renounce the Kaman Bird rights to be able to absorb the Ryan Anderson contract, this option isn't alive as well.
    No reason to do such deal...
    Splitter, imho, if given minutes, is better and, as of now, surely less expensive than Kaman.

The only point could be to sign and trade him for our expendable (Byars contract, Joseph, Bonner at this point) plus contract friendly players (I mean Neal, Blair).

Let's not forget that Neal, Blair and Bonner have been three regular season rotation players for the team that's been the co-best, record wise, in the nba.

A sign and trade of these five for Kaman could make sense, if NO has already decided to not give Kaman a long term contract (as they probably are considering).

Bonner is the ideal sub for Anderson.
    Blair and Neal are both younger than Kaman and, for next season, their contracs are bargains...and if one or both play well during the season (that could be highly probable, considering the amount of minutes they're gonna play) NO could have found the long term two rotation players instead of one bench player (considering that Anderson and Davis will play the starting 4/5 spots) sparing money (Just after the trade, NO could cut the contract of Byars and decide not to exercise the option on CO.JO).

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't say it's reasonable to do that deal. just said it's the only realistic scenario for a S&T with the Hornets.
    the only player they need is Splitter.
    why should they want PFs, when they just acquired 2 PFs in Anderson and Davis, but need a center?
    and Bonner isn't the ideal sub for any player in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many teams need a stretch 4 again? Miami has their quota filled with Bosh and Lewis, Anderson just got traded to NOLA, KG has a good jumper, Lakers don't really need one but Gasol can do it, Chicago doesn't need one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Local Dallas radio is reporting that Chris Kaman has agreed to terms with the Mavs. The proposed contract is one-yr @ 8 mil.

Confirmed:
    http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusa...las-mavericks/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yahoo confirms. MEH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Kaman ‏@ChrisKaman
    Partnering up with @swish41 and heading to the Mavs........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs make their first foray into free agency with a vengance.

They stacked!

Thread Information