Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Cake is speech.”

That’s what Indiana Baptist pastor Tim Overton told NPR’s Steve Inskeep Thursday morning, defending his state’s controversial “religious freedom” law. I thought it was so funny, I immediately tweeted it.

But as the day went on, it became clear that Overton’s argument wasn’t some fringe theory: It’s shaping up as a core tenet of one “compromise” approach to religious freedom laws that’s under consideration, in the wake of the backlash to the Indiana law, which Overton fervently supported as written. It’s at the heart of the fix to the law Jeb Bush pushed Wednesday night with pro-gay rights Republican donors.

Here’s how the pastor tried to explain it: Critics who say Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act would let businesses routinely deny service to LGBT Americans are wrong.
    “I don’t think any RFRA anywhere would say, ‘I’m not gonna give you a hotel room, I’m not gonna give you a hamburger, or gasoline or groceries,’” Overton told Inskeep. “That’s outside the bounds.” WTF?

But just as a religious leader should be able to decide, according to the tenets of his or her faith, whether to preside over gay marriages, Overton argued, so should a florist or a baker get to decide whether his or her “artistic ability” should be part of a gay wedding.

I think most Americans would agree that a pastor like myself should not be compelled by the government to use my speech to support someone else’s perspective. I think that has parallels to the cake maker. The cake maker is using his or her artistic ability to make a cake and that cake communicates something. I think that cake is speech, that says ‘we celebrate this union.’ I just don’t think they should be forced by the government to use their speech to support someone else’s perspective….I would like the line to be drawn in services that involve speech.

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/03/the_...iana_backlash/

Right wing/Christian Taliban "logic" justifying their hate!

The text on the cake would be the "speech" of the LGBT people, not of the cake baker.

And why not deny a hotel room to an LGBT couple? You would expect them to go in their and commit Biblical sins, right?

"pastor like myself should not be compelled by the government" but the pastors want to compel GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS to deny evolution "speech" and compel the teaching of creationist fairy tales.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao that's really telling me
    its all i feel like telling you. You're just here fir the zingers.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Where's the outrage from the libs - shouldn't these bakeries be getting closed down right now from the backlash?
    Not surprised in the least all of the liberals have ignored your post. It would be nice to see this get some National exposure. Always enjoyed Crowder's videos, you a member where you found the video or just a lurker?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I had never heard of Crowder before, but I came across it on Twitter and thought it was worth posting, tbh. And not a surprise that boutons_shill is pretending it's not there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Newspaper Front Page Shames North Dakota Lawmakers Over Anti-Gay Vote

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...+%28TPMNews%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys want to see here? The muslim bakeries are wrong too.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Where's the outrage from the libs - shouldn't these bakeries be getting closed down right now from the backlash?
    It's not against the law. I'm not sure why folks want to pass laws explicitly saying that.

As for why no outrage, I'll actively not buy a cake at that shop. Does that help you?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    What do you guys want to see here? The muslim bakeries are wrong too.
    I'd like to see a gay couple sue a Muslim bakery and see which side the libs would support.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a masterpiece of moronic mixed metaphors, Glenn Beck announced today on his radio show that gay rights activists are building a Nazi regime while wearing the robes of the Inquisition that will lead to a Christian Holocaust.

This is what happens when you throw a bunch of ridiculously extreme right wing memes in a blender and set it on “purée.”

In other Glenn Beck news, the raving freakazoid nut sandwich also announced that tomorrow he’ll be interviewing gay “liberal” pundit Glenn Greenwald.

And the Mighty Greenwald has already responded to those who have the temerity to criticize him for this, by comparing himself to President Obama being interviewed by Bill O’Reilly, and calling his critics “absolute idiots.” That’s how the Mighty G rolls.
    Read more at http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigoted Pizzeria Owners Go Into Hiding With $500,000 in Donations

The owners of Memories Pizza, the Indiana restaurant that preemptively refused to cater a hypothetical gay wedding, have reportedly gone into hiding after receiving a barrage of online criticism and, more importantly, over $500,000 in donations from supposedly like-minded bigots.
    Indiana Pizzeria Takes Brave Stand of Denying Gays Pizza for Weddings

Crystal O'Connor of Memories Pizza in Walkerton, Indiana, has her finger on the pulse of what… Read more

Earlier this week, Crystal O’Connor and her father, Kevin, who co-own the pizzeria, made it very clear that their restaurant supported Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act, in part because it allows them to avoid catering gay weddings.

“That lifestyle is something they choose,” Kevin told ABC57. “I choose to be heterosexual. They choose to be sexual. Why should I be beat over the head to go along with something they choose?”

The online blowback to their stupidity was immediate and overwhelming, and the pizzeria temporarily closed its doors yesterday as a response. Good!
    http://gawker.com/bigoted-pizzeria-o...-in-1695481600

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fund is at $750,000 now....

http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    LOL at handwaving away the death/violence threats they actually received as mere "criticism" and then applauding it. Gawker is shameless.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Not a bad pay out for death threats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see a gay couple sue a Muslim bakery and see which side the libs would support.
    What law would the bakery be breaking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL at handwaving away the death/violence threats they actually received as mere "criticism" and then applauding it. Gawker is shameless.
    The threats may or may not be real, but the money that these bigots are getting is very real...

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    What law would the bakery be breaking?
    Not sure what Michigan's laws are I assume it would be no different than the ruling against Melissa's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what Michigan's laws are I assume it would be no different than the ruling against Melissa's
    You would assume wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why does it matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huckabee: Gay-Rights Movement 'Won't Stop Until There Are No Churches'
    Source: TPM

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) said on Wednesday that gay-rights activists wouldn't be satisfied until there are no more churches or Christians in America.

“It won’t stop until there are no more churches, until there are no more people who are spreading the Gospel,” Huckabee said on a right-wing radio program while discussing the backlash against anti-gay religious-freedom legislation in Arkansas and Indiana.

"I’m talking now about the unabridged, unapologetic Gospel that is really God’s truth," he said.

Huckabee made the remarks during an appearance on the conservative Family Research Council radio program “Washington Watch with Tony Perkins." Earlier in the program, he accused critics of the legislation of engaging in "true discrimination" and seizing on a "manufactured" crisis.
    Listen below via Right Wing Watch:

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ay-no-churches

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    why does it matter
    If it matters when it's a Christian business, then I don't see how it wouldn't matter just as much with a Muslim business.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    You would assume wrong.
    Because of Michigan's laws?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    why does it matter
    It would be entertaining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because of Michigan's laws?
    Because there is no such state law in Michigan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be entertaining.
    That would be a pretty easy choice if the law was the same.

The big question would be if the Muslims get the same support "no pizza for teh gheys" are from the right.

Thread Information