Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw on CNN's webpage that he's resigned as director from FEMA. Anyone else heard this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would appear per CNN and MSNBC, that Mike Brown has resigned.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was dead meat, anyway.
    Thanks for not pocketing anymore salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are some reports that W didn't even know Brown was gone, but appointed a new FEMA director none-the-less...

He didn't even know about it:

Yahoo News

The president ducked questions about Brown's resignation. "Maybe you know something I don't know. I've been working," the president said to reporters on an inspection tour of damage in Gulfport, Miss. Bush said he planned to talk with Brown's boss, Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff, from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.
    -----

Yet he managed to pick a new one:

Alertnet

Bush picks Paulison as acting FEMA head
    12 Sep 2005 20:56:42 GMT

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Sept 12 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush on Monday named David Paulison, a top official in the Homeland Security Department, to replace Michael Brown on an acting basis as head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Andrew Card's later clarification:

Brown, who said he last talked to Bush five or six days ago, said the resignation was his idea. He spoke Saturday to White House chief of staff Andrew Card, who did not request his departure, according to Brown.

"I'm turning in my resignation today," Brown said. "I think it's in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me."

Shortly after Brown was recalled to Washington last week, officials close to the FEMA director said he would probably resign. They said that even before Katrina, Brown had been planning on leaving the administration late this fall to go into the private sector.
    Yahoo News

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paulison is yet another shrub political hack/crony?
    or is he a professional, experienced emergency manager like Allen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they've been planning on sending Brown on a "different career trajectory" (best quote ever re: getting canned) for a couple of weeks now and already had someone picked out, but he resigned before he got asked to.

Not that big of a deal, IMO. I'm sure there were some calls made after that interview, if he honestly hadn't yet been informed of Brown's resignation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was more of a "have your resume on my desk tomorrow" kind of thing...

He got ing fired.. just people have to keep spinning stuff...

like when WOAI spun that guy.. what's his name.. argh it's in another recent thread..

He said mexicans should not roll there R's and next day was gone...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paulison is yet another shrub political hack/crony?
    or is he a professional, experienced emergency manager like Allen?
    His emergency management experience includes Hurricane Andrew and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592.
    Before joining FEMA, Mr. Paulison, who has 30 years of fire rescue services experience, was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department. In that position, he oversaw 1,900 personnel with a $200 million operating budget and a $70 million capital budget. He also oversaw the county's emergency management office.
    Sounds like a nice upgrade from Brownie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bush needs to do a staff review again and replace any other slackers before something else hits the fan. And give Chartov something to eat.. dude looks like a walking skeleton...

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quit being such an ass about everything boutons.

From his bio (had you bothered to look)

Before joining FEMA, Mr. Paulison, who has 30 years of fire/rescue services experience, was chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department. In that position, he oversaw 1,900 personnel with a $200 million operating budget and a $70 million capital budget. He also oversaw the Dade County Emergency Management office.

He began his career as a rescue firefighter and rose through the ranks of rescue lieutenant commander, district chief of operations, division chief, assistant chief and then deputy director for administration before becoming the Miami-Dade Fire Chief. He is a certified paramedic and, as fire chief, oversaw the Miami-Dade Urban Search and Rescue Task Force. His emergency management experience includes Hurricane Andrew and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592. He is also past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs.
    So it appears he's risen through the ranks, so to speak. But flame away, it's what misguided, immature souls such as yourself do best.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aggie,

I play the percentages, and shrub/Repug placing incompetent cronies, political hacks all over the government is the percentage shot.

The only reason Paulison is NOT a political hack is that the entire USA is now focused on the FEMA and the Repugs know they can't slip in political hack into that job now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aggie,

I play the percentages, and shrub/Repug placing incompetent cronies, political hacks all over the government is the percentage shot.

The only reason Paulison is NOT a political hack is that the entire USA is now focused on the FEMA and the Repugs know they can't slip in political hack into that job now.

I think that it's more of the fact that you didn't even bother to check out his bio before you implied otherwise. I'd go with information and facts that are available to me, not percentages. But then, I'm not a gambler.

And are you suggesting Republicans are the only ones that place their own in positions within the government with any given opportunity?

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than being unable to answer the lying, projected, rhetoric of blame from the left, no one has given me a concrete example of what FEMA did wrong in its response to Hurrican Katrina.

Give me one. Just one.

We're now finding out that New Orleans (or Orleans Parish, I believe) received $18 million dollars from the Bush administration feds to plan for just such an event. Money they spent on drills -- that, by the way -- didn't involved federal resources. A 40 page disaster response plan was formulated from this money; that did include the drowned buses but, again, not federal resources.

Read the disaster plan, if you can find it. Louisiana promptly removed the plan from their website after it became apparent they didn't follow a frickin' sentence in the plan.
    Last edited by The Ressurrected One; 09-12-2005 at 06:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is Mr. Brown?

Mr. Brown is out of town...

---Dr. Suess
    Hop on Pop

Maybe Bush will give him a medal like he did the guys who f***ed up Iraq.

Multimedia Spurs
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, nothing about FEMA's response to Hurricane Katrina.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uh..they didn't do anything WRONG

they were just a..little late
    How so? There were there before the State requested them and they were ready to go on the two ocassions their assistance was refused by Governor Blanco. They weren't late, they just weren't requested...and, contrary to popular lefty beliefs, the State have the right to manage or, in this case, mismanage their disasters however they see fit.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and when they got there they didn't do for 2 days

(according to a man in new orleans)
    ^--whom i was speaking with on the phone for about a week
    Okay, when did you "man in new orleans" start counting those two days and, was "your man in new orleans" omnipresent or something because, well, isn't it just possible he wasn't where FEMA was?

Because FEMA was preposition, waiting on the Governors, in both Denton, Texas and Jackson, Mississippi, well before the storm made landfall.

Do tell us more about your "man in new orleans" experiences...I'm intrigued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than being unable to answer the lying, projected, rhetoric of blame from the left, no one has given me a concrete example of what FEMA did wrong in its response to Hurrican Katrina.

Give me one. Just one.
    Like holding up help?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When FEMA was combined into Homeland Security, it lost both standing and focus. The emphasis was shifted to combating terrorism. And in July, FEMA lost its role of working with states and localities to plan for disasters.

(http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssen...l/12590126.htm)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurricanes won't stop targeting the Atlantic and Gulf states just because foreign terrorists have the nation in their crosshairs. Yet FEMA's budget has been cut each year since 2003. Its staff is down by 500, resulting in the loss of one of three emergency management teams. Local governments, which rely on FEMA when a natural disaster hits, warned that the agency's services were becoming thin. Little attention was paid.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...-9229276c.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that was the DEMOCRATS that insisted DHS was formed and FEMA moved.. Lieberman sponsored and Hillary helped pushed it thru. Bush resisted DHS at first he wanted to just fix the CIA and FBI.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a record of how members of Congress voted on DHS?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that was the DEMOCRATS that insisted DHS was formed and FEMA moved.. Lieberman sponsored and Hillary helped pushed it thru. Bush resisted DHS at first he wanted to just fix the CIA and FBI.
    All of which was recommended by the senate committee that wanted to overhaul the US security response. Bi-partisan committee that is.

Puh-lease don't tell me that the GOP wasn't clapping for joy about looking like THEY were also doing something after 9-11...

Thread Information