Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Ryan Parry, US Correspondent in New York

HUNDREDS of tons of British food aid shipped to America for starving Hurricane Katrina survivors is to be burned.

US red tape is stopping it from reaching hungry evacuees.

Instead tons of the badly needed Nato ration packs, the same as those eaten by British troops in Iraq, has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

And unless the bureaucratic mess is cleared up soon it could be sent for incineration.
    Mirror.uk

Guess it's hard for an entrepreneur Disaster capitalist and Bush cronies to make any money off this tragedy if people keep giving the victims stuff, right?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link to actual article?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan...you really are too much. I can't even get mad at you, because you just try soooo hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevermind I found it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan...you really are too much. I can't even get mad at you, because you just try soooo hard.
    Why are you shooting the messenger?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tons of British aid donated to help Hurricane Katrina victims to be BURNED by Americans
    From Ryan Parry, US Correspondent in New York

HUNDREDS of tons of British food aid shipped to America for starving Hurricane Katrina survivors is to be burned.

US red tape is stopping it from reaching hungry evacuees.

Instead tons of the badly needed Nato ration packs, the same as those eaten by British troops in Iraq, has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

And unless the bureaucratic mess is cleared up soon it could be sent for incineration.

One British aid worker last night called the move "sickening senselessness" and said furious colleagues were "spitting blood".

The food, which cost British taxpayers millions, is sitting idle in a huge warehouse after the Food and Drug Agency recalled it when it had already left to be distributed.

Scores of lorries headed back to a warehouse in Little Rock, Arkansas, to dump it at an FDA incineration plant.

The Ministry of Defence in London said last night that 400,000 operational ration packs had been shipped to the US.

But officials blamed the US Department of Agriculture, which impounded the shipment under regulations relating to the import and export of meat.

The aid worker, who would not be named, said: "This is the most appalling act of sickening senselessness while people starve.

"The FDA has recalled aid from Britain because it has been condemned as unfit for human consumption, despite the fact that these are Nato approved rations of exactly the same type fed to British soldiers in Iraq.

"Under Nato, American soldiers are also en led to eat such rations, yet the starving of the American South will see them go up in smoke because of FDA red tape madness."

The worker added: "There will be a cloud of smoke above Little Rock soon - of burned food, of anger and of shame that the world's richest nation couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery and lets Americans starve while they arrogantly observe petty regulations.

"Everyone is revolted by the chaotic shambles the US is making of this crisis. Guys from Unicef are walking around spitting blood.

"This is utter madness. People have worked their socks off to get food into the region.

"It is perfectly good Nato approved food of the type British servicemen have. Yet the FDA are saying that because there is a meat content and it has come from Britain it must be destroyed.

"If they are trying to argue there is a BSE reason then that is ludicrously out of date. There is more BSE in the States than there ever was in Britain and UK meat has been safe for years."

----

The Ministry of Defence said: "We understand there was a glitch and these packs have been impounded by the US Department of Agriculture under regulations relating to the import and export of meat.

"The situation is changing all the time and at our last meeting on Friday we were told progress was being made in relation to the release of these packs. The Americans certainly haven't indicated to us that there are any more problems and they haven't asked us to take them back."

Food from Spain and Italy is also being held because it fails to meet US standards and has been judged unfit for human consumption.

And Israeli relief agencies are furious that thousands of gallons of pear juice are to be destroyed because it has been judged unfit.

The FDA said: "We did inspect some MREs (meals ready to eat) on September 13. They are the only MREs we looked at. There were 70 huge pallets of vegetarian MREs.

"They were from a foreign nation. We inspected them and then released them for distribution."
    More journalistic and investigative excellence from The Daily Mirror.

They've got one anonymous aid worker claiming the food will be burned. They give him half of the story.

The Ministry of Defence says nothing of the sort - only that the distribution was delayed. They give him ten lines.

And the FDA is given four lines to rebutt at the end.

This article makes Fox News look fair and balanced.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 09-19-2005 at 05:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a few links down...

Penniless Gran Starves to death

A GRAN starved to death because her council home had no letterbox so her pension could not be delivered.

Penniless Ivy Allen, 79, had barely drunk or eaten in the last three months of her life.

TRAGIC: Ivy found dead at her home

None of her 10 children, 30 grandkids, social services or pensions officials noticed she was dying at her home in Warrington, Cheshire. Grandson Anthony Bradbury, 24, said: "I can't forgive myself."

Advertisement

TRAGIC Ivy Allen's pension was sent back each week after the council gave her a new front door but failed to put a letterbox into it.

Penniless Ivy, 79, starved to death. There was not a scrap of food in the house when her emaciated body was found. None of the welfare agencies, nor her 10 children or 30 grandchildren were aware of her plight.

She was left broke when the door of her one-bedroom council bungalow was replaced without a post box. Her benefits book and giro cheques were returned by Royal Mail to the pensions office.

Officials there failed to tell anyone that she was not receiving any money.

What horrible horrible irony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To Sperminator it makes no difference that meals fit to eat by British may have to be incinerated as long as the FDA has their say.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More journalistic and investigative excellence from The Daily Mirror.

They've got one anonymous aid worker claiming the food will be burned. They give him half of the story.

The Ministry of Defence says nothing of the sort - only that the distribution was delayed. They give him ten lines.

And the FDA is given four lines to rebutt at the end.

This article makes Fox News look fair and balanced.

What the are we supposed to do with all that food anyway? forcefeed it to them?

The shelters are largely empty and none of them have food problems... most of them are saying they don't want to go back to NO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To Sperminator it makes no difference that meals fit to eat by British may have to be incinerated as long as the FDA has their say.

The FDA is doing it's job to protect the American people...call it red tape if you want...but it's purpose is obvious to a non-re .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Um, maybe if the FDA had a say we'd learn that the story is nothing more than fabricated bull . Or at least we'd have something more reliable than one anonymous aid worker quoted by the Daily Enquirer (er, Mirror).

But that would give you one less thing to be mad about, wouldn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have a law about importing meat products from abroad... they ed up, we didn't. if it had gotten through than dan would be posting about BANNED MEAT GETS INTO THE USA! IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR REFUGEES! etc.. we know you dan.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Can Bush Suck anymore than he does now?.............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have a law about importing meat products from abroad... they ed up, we didn't. if it had gotten through than dan would be posting about BANNED MEAT GETS INTO THE USA! IT IS ONLY GOOD FOR REFUGEES! etc.. we know you dan.

(they were vegetarian MRE's if I read that correctly....)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some were and some contained meat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter what happens in the news, Dan and his followers will somehow spin it to look like the fault of W. If he found a cure for AIDS, Dan would say that he had the cure all along because he and his dad invented it to kill off the minorities and the gays. He will never do anything positive in the eyes of some harcore haters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can Bush Suck anymore than he does now?.............
    Hey, he's got 3 1/2 years to "improve" his suckage.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Start thread............................................ ...............finish with unrelated Bush bashing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is red tape bs... Someone at the west wing needs to damage control..

Ship it to Aceh... they'll eat it..

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Start thread............................................ ...............finish with unrelated Bush bashing.
    Seems to be the template in here.

Appoggiatura
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why burn them? send it to Africa or something...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why burn them? send it to Africa or something...

That's what I was thinking. They've always needed the help.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can just see the headlines now:

US and W attempt to poison poor Africans by sending them spoiled food unfit for consumption.

Rich and Smooth
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FDA has recalled aid from Britain because it has been condemned as unfit for human consumption,
    But isn't that true about any british food?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can just see the headlines now:

US and W attempt to poison poor Africans by sending them spoiled food unfit for consumption.

But isn't that true about any british food?

:vomit

Thread Information