My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everyone gets luxury boxes at the ATT! Do it Holt Cat! Pack the houseee

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they doing the bubble again? Only way this is going to make sense with the pandemic raging worse than it ever has before in the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they doing the bubble again? Only way this is going to make sense with the pandemic raging worse than it ever has before in the US.
    I think empty arenas, except for 25% capacity boxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think empty arenas, except for 25% capacity boxes.
    This is going to be a disaster if they're going to have teams playing in their own arenas. It's not like the NFL where you're only traveling every other week on average or MLB where you're playing series of 3-4 games against the same opponent. These guys are going to be on planes constantly and the le will be determined by whatever team doesn't lose a star to COVID in the playoffs.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-07-2020 at 06:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is going to be a disaster if they're going to have teams playing in their own arenas. It's not like the NFL where you're only traveling every other week on average or MLB where you're playing series of 3-4 games against the same opponent. These guys are going to be on planes constantly and the le will be determined by whatever team doesn't lose a star to COVID in the playoffs.
    They brought up the idea that they were gonna try to do it like baseball, have teams play in series to limit travel. For example, the Spurs would travel to LA and play the Clippers and Lakers three or four times, then go to San Francisco and play the Dubs there twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They brought up the idea that they were gonna try to do it like baseball, have teams play in series to limit travel. For example, the Spurs would travel to LA and play the Clippers and Lakers three or four times, then go to San Francisco and play the Dubs there twice.
    That strength of schedule chart is gonna be wild af at the end of the season then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure cnn thinks today mask are not needed to party to celebrate biden
    But gore thought he won for 37 days to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure cnn thinks today mask are not needed to party to celebrate biden
    But gore thought he won for 37 days to

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, they're going to have to change the scheduling and travel. That's not the biggest disaster. They're keeping the cap the same, which means that the league/owners are going to have to front the money. Some small market teams are going to be in a cash crunch, and the league is probably going to have to arrange bridge loans or something like that behind the scenes. They won't talk about it in public.

They're going to have to have a plan for how to deal with the guys who pop up with Corona. Whatever that is, it's likely to be out of step with national policies. Otherwise, they're going to have to cancel games, and that gets back to the schedule/travel mess. It's always a pretty complicated scheduling matrix, but this is much worse. It's hard to see them getting done on schedule, unless they shorten the season again. But even if they just re-schedule games, that's going to cost viewership.

They say that they are counting on a 2% growth in cap and tax levels, which is low by normal standards. I don't think they're going to be able to pull it off. That means that eventually the players have to feel part of the pain, and that's going to be a mess to deal with.

Personally, I think they should have given the players some kind of salary haircut. Maybe a graduated hit, so that the highest-paid players give up a bigger percentage. They could put it in escrow, and if BRI really does come back, they could distribute it back to the players. But they're likely to paint themselves into a corner trying to pretend like everything will quickly get back to normal, or close to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they're going to have to change the scheduling and travel. That's not the biggest disaster. They're keeping the cap the same, which means that the league/owners are going to have to front the money. Some small market teams are going to be in a cash crunch, and the league is probably going to have to arrange bridge loans or something like that behind the scenes. They won't talk about it in public.

They're going to have to have a plan for how to deal with the guys who pop up with Corona. Whatever that is, it's likely to be out of step with national policies. Otherwise, they're going to have to cancel games, and that gets back to the schedule/travel mess. It's always a pretty complicated scheduling matrix, but this is much worse. It's hard to see them getting done on schedule, unless they shorten the season again. But even if they just re-schedule games, that's going to cost viewership.

They say that they are counting on a 2% growth in cap and tax levels, which is low by normal standards. I don't think they're going to be able to pull it off. That means that eventually the players have to feel part of the pain, and that's going to be a mess to deal with.

Personally, I think they should have given the players some kind of salary haircut. Maybe a graduated hit, so that the highest-paid players give up a bigger percentage. They could put it in escrow, and if BRI really does come back, they could distribute it back to the players. But they're likely to paint themselves into a corner trying to pretend like everything will quickly get back to normal, or close to it.
    I think there is still an escrow fund that a portion of each paycheck is paid into, specifically for this kind of scenario where leaguewide income drops. Usually the money in that escrow fund goes back to the players at the end of the year when the league hits its projected revenue targets and the player's salary proportion of basketball related income doesn't exceed the percentage the players and owners agreed on in the CBA. In this year and last obvious that escrow goes mostly or entirely back to the owners. So the players are absolutely taking a haircut on salary unless the owners removed that escrow fund in the current CBA (which I strongly doubt). But the cap is being propped up so that players can comfortably sign long term deals without that haircut being built into their base salary that future years are based on, e.g. so that if they sign a deal this year they're only taking the loss this year when revenues are going to be but not 2022 and beyond when it will hopefully be safe to play in full arenas and NBA revenues will be hopefully made full again.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    usually it is 10% I believe I saw somewhere that it would be the 18% listed in the article.
    https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...unt-salary-cap

I dont see how they are going to do the 2% raises either. My guess is this whole season is played with minimal fans and games lost. I bet even next season will have some problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They cancelled NFL and MLB games, and rescheduled them. Can’t imagine it would be difficult. It’s not like there are, or will be any concerts at the AT&T Center. I think the players are also having a chunk of their checks held in escrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is still an escrow fund that a portion of each paycheck is paid into, specifically for this kind of scenario where leaguewide income drops.
    They cancelled NFL and MLB games, and rescheduled them. Can’t imagine it would be difficult. It’s not like there are, or will be any concerts at the AT&T Center. I think the players are also having a chunk of their checks held in escrow.
    The normal escrow isn't even in the ballpark with what they should be doing right now. Seems like they're just wishful thinking, and hoping everything works itself out. That's a dangerous business plan.

Re-scheduling is difficult under normal cir stances. But with the way they are going to have to move the schedule around to accommodate travel, it's going to be even harder to get the season finished on time if that happens. And it almost certainly will happen. They also have the problem of re-scheduling around TV conflicts, and what that costs the networks.

It's a bigger problem that it probably seems like, and it all has a financial impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The normal escrow isn't even in the ballpark with what they should be doing right now. Seems like they're just wishful thinking, and hoping everything works itself out. That's a dangerous business plan.

Re-scheduling is difficult under normal cir stances. But with the way they are going to have to move the schedule around to accommodate travel, it's going to be even harder to get the season finished on time if that happens. And it almost certainly will happen. They also have the problem of re-scheduling around TV conflicts, and what that costs the networks.

It's a bigger problem that it probably seems like, and it all has a financial impact.
    18% escrow doesn't sound bad, especially considering teams will be paid in full on local and national TV contracts if they make it through the year with 70+ games. Especially factoring in that they're going to open luxury boxes for in-person attendance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18% escrow doesn't sound bad, especially considering teams will be paid in full on local and national TV contracts if they make it through the year with 70+ games. Especially factoring in that they're going to open luxury boxes for in-person attendance.

I thought it was 10%. !8% would get it done. Did they change it for this situation, or am I just out of date?

It's been some years back, but I had a conversation with one of the execs who said that the Spurs more or less operated around break-even through an 82-game season, and they made their profit on the postseason. That may have been rule of thumb, but I don't think he was lying to me. Maybe that was before the last TV deal, and that changed, but I keep reading that ratings are really, really down so those TV revenues are going to get flexed before long.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I just think they would be wise to be a little more pragmatic. But maybe they're on it and just not talking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is still an escrow fund that a portion of each paycheck is paid into, specifically for this kind of scenario where leaguewide income drops.

So I looked at the current negotiation numbers, and it's what I thought. They have discussed an escrow as high as 18%, but they haven't agreed to anything above the normal 10% escrow. And that is an across the board measure that takes from min-contract players at the same rate as LeBron. (If that was a government tax, it would be called "regressive".) They are also saying that the cap won't take a hit, so the players are going to be at risk for a percentage of a too-high number. What they should have done was have a guaranteed (progressive) salary cut, and THEN have an escrow of 10%. That would have been 19% overall at-risk, but it would have faced the fact that BRI is going to be way down no matter what.

And as far as scheduling - they are trying to get the season done before the Summer Olympics. If they don't, the playoffs could be competing with the Olynpics for television ratings and revenues. As far as the networks are concerned, there is a single pot of revenue money out there, and they have committed a huge amount to get rights to it. If the NBA isn't done before the Olympics, those two revenue streams become one. If you don't already see how disastrous that would be, nothing I could say would make a difference.

Thread Information