My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://airalamo.com/2020/11/14/san-...awks-warriors/

This deal ties up a few rumors into one package:

Golden State gets: LaMarcus Aldridge, #6

Atlanta gets: DeMar DeRozan, #11

San Antonio gets: Andrew Wiggins, #2, Cam Reddish or De'Andre Hunter

I'm a little skeptical of the trade from Atlanta's perspective. Adding DeRozan to Trae Young doesn't make a lot of sense defensively, and Atlanta moves back 5 spots in the draft. Makes more sense for the Spurs and Warriors. Would love the potential of a White/KJ/Hunter trio. Taking on the Wiggins contract is easier if the Spurs are getting two young prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to be a butt, Backhome already made a thread about this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta trades down for Derozan but gives up Hunter? Not likely. Haven’t seen much of Cam Reddish but Spurs would love that I’m sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, -- I missed that. Oops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s probably where they got it. ST has been copied by the best of them. Lookin’ at you, Don Harris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think anyone is trading for DDR. Lakers and Hornets probably the best bet. Lakers got Schroder and Hornets are after Westbrook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old news. This can't be legit, simply because the salaries of Reddish and DeRozan don't match at all. Besides that the Hawks can just outright sign DeRozan without having to give up anything

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old news. This can't be legit, simply because the salaries of Reddish and DeRozan don't match at all. Besides that the Hawks can just outright sign DeRozan without having to give up anything
    To sign him outright they'd have to commit to 3 or 4 years... This way they are only on the hook for 1 year and can choose to commit or walk next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Orlando or maybe Miami is the best bet to trade Demar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta's far under the salary cap, with only $60mil on the books. They're one of the few teams that can actually do this.

Explanation here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanto...h=131a3db1146d
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 11-16-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Orlando or maybe Miami is the best bet to trade Demar
    I think Orlando makes alot of sense..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta's far under the salary cap, with only $60mil on the books. They're one of the few teams that can actually do this.

Explanation here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanto...h=131a3db1146d
    Oh okay, I wasn't fully aware if this was possible if a player is going out as well. If that's the case, Spurs better make that move- #6 + Reddish for DeRozan and #11 is cool with me

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh okay, I wasn't fully aware if this was possible if a player is going out as well. If that's the case, Spurs better make that move- #6 + Reddish for DeRozan and #11 is cool with me
    I'd do that deal regardless of the GS/LMA trade.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep trying to tell you guys, the Spurs still have cap problems.

First of all, any deal involving DeRozan would have to be a sign-and-trade, because he's on a player option. If he's really disgruntled, he's got no reason to want to do the Spurs a favor - so the only reason he agrees to a S&T is that the Spurs can give him more money. What you're all overlooking is that he's not going to agree to a S&T deal unless it pays him MORE money. You guys keep counting him in the salary match at the $28MM +/- that he could get by opting in.

DeRozan has over 10 years of service, so the max the Spurs could offer him (if I remember right) is close to $40MM. I don't think anyone is going to want to pay him a max salary in a S&T deal, but I would think that he would be looking at something north of $30MM per, and probably closer to the $34MM that a 7-9 year vet could get. And that's allowing for the fact that the cap is ed for next year.

When you're plugging numbers into your trade machines, you should at least put DeRozan in at $30MM. Because he's not going to do the Spurs a favor and do a S&T for them, for the same amount he could get by just signing elsewhere. I know, I know... someone is going to say that he would do it just to get the extra year. But 5 years at his current salary is $140MM, and I think he could walk away and be able to get a $150MM deal. Those are round numbers - don't split hairs with me. The point is, he isn't going to automatically do some S&T deal, just because the Spurs want him to. Factor the extra money into your plans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep trying to tell you guys, the Spurs still have cap problems.

First of all, any deal involving DeRozan would have to be a sign-and-trade, because he's on a player option. If he's really disgruntled, he's got no reason to want to do the Spurs a favor - so the only reason he agrees to a S&T is that the Spurs can give him more money. What you're all overlooking is that he's not going to agree to a S&T deal unless it pays him MORE money. You guys keep counting him in the salary match at the $28MM +/- that he could get by opting in.

DeRozan has over 10 years of service, so the max the Spurs could offer him (if I remember right) is close to $40MM. I don't think anyone is going to want to pay him a max salary in a S&T deal, but I would think that he would be looking at something north of $30MM per, and probably closer to the $34MM that a 7-9 year vet could get. And that's allowing for the fact that the cap is ed for next year.

When you're plugging numbers into your trade machines, you should at least put DeRozan in at $30MM. Because he's not going to do the Spurs a favor and do a S&T for them, for the same amount he could get by just signing elsewhere. I know, I know... someone is going to say that he would do it just to get the extra year. But 5 years at his current salary is $140MM, and I think he could walk away and be able to get a $150MM deal. Those are round numbers - don't split hairs with me. The point is, he isn't going to automatically do some S&T deal, just because the Spurs want him to. Factor the extra money into your plans.
    DDR opted in...so we don't need a S&T partner i don't believe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct. They could extend and trade him but he has no control any longer (I mean he has leverage but not control);

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hmmm. Happened in the last hour. Looking at the articles, and him saying he's "flattered" that the Lakers want him, he's probably gone then. That's good. I wasn't happy about the prospects of the Spurs screwing themselves in an S&T deal.

Just for the record, there have only been something like 5 S&T's completed in the last 5 years. And in every one of those, the original team didn't get out of it. The way the Spurs trades have gone in recent years, I could have seen them really getting kicked around trying to get some value out of him. This way is a LOT better.

Edit: Holy ! There must be five threads on it now. That'll teach me not to monitor constantly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct. They could extend and trade him but he has no control any longer (I mean he has leverage but not control);

Would they have to extend to trade him? There are so many arcane rules in the CBA now, I just don't keep up with all of them. I don't want his dumb ass around if he doesn't want to be here. At least he would be working to get his next deal, so he probably wouldn't just float for the whole season. Sill, I would rather see them building on something than riding out the clock on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would they have to extend to trade him? There are so many arcane rules in the CBA now, I just don't keep up with all of them. I don't want his dumb ass around if he doesn't want to be here. At least he would be working to get his next deal, so he probably wouldn't just float for the whole season. Sill, I would rather see them building on something than riding out the clock on him.
    Not at all. If the other team wanted assurances then it could happen (vs trading for a player that could walk for nothing next season) it’s possible. But it’s not necessary at all. Outside of leverage, SA now controls fully whether or not DDR is traded and to where.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't have to be extended but knowing the Spurs they will probably only trade him to a place he's actually OK with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've thought about this, but the Hawks aren't including Hunter/Reddish. Maybe the Spurs can squeeze either them or the Warriors for a future 2nd (Warriors own Timberwolves '21), but that's about it.

The apologists/casuals will claim that the aggregate of Aldridge, DeRozan, 11 for Wiggins, 2, is an overpay, but what's the alternative?

It's a shot at a blue chip prospect, an albatross who sucks but could also make sense short term, positioning for a top 5ish pick next year (much better projected high end talent) and potentially accelerating a re-build.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've thought about this, but the Hawks aren't including Hunter/Reddish. Maybe the Spurs can squeeze either them or the Warriors for a future 2nd (Warriors own Timberwolves '21), but that's about it.

The apologists/casuals will claim that the aggregate of Aldridge, DeRozan, 11 for Wiggins, 2, is an overpay, but what's the alternative?

It's a shot at a blue chip prospect, an albatross who sucks but could also make sense short term, positioning for a top 5ish pick next year (much better projected high end talent) and potentially accelerating a re-build.
    Are they getting #6 back in this scenario? Because I'd do that in a heartbeat and just try to find the best offer for Wiggins over the course of the next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they getting #6 back in this scenario? Because I'd do that in a heartbeat and just try to find the best offer for Wiggins over the course of the next year.
    Nah, the Warriors would get it.

As bad as he is, I'm not even sure the Spurs would be opposed to Wiggins. More or less cultural fit, positional need, still youngish, the exact type (pedigreed, freak athlete 20 ppg scorer) that's easy to sell to casuals and could serve as the go-to scorer in the interim. Also, they'd save significant money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see the nicknames Wiggins gets.

Thread Information