Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1979
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The R in ERCOT stands for reliability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No threat of blackouts, nevertheless, ERCOT has asked Texans to conserve energy.

After six power plants went down unexpectedly Friday — and with hot weather expected across Texas this weekend — the Electric Reliability Council of Texas on Friday evening is asking consumers to conserve electricity through Sunday.

Texans are asked to set their thermostats to 78 degrees or above between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. this weekend and to avoid using large appliances at home during those same times.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05...ervation-heat/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone know what the deal is with MISO?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NERC report detail blackouts risks for this summer: extreme temperatures, drought, wildfires, hydroelectric shortages, cyberattacks, transmission tech for renewable energy sources.

Highlighting the most serious regional threats, the report said:

The Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO), grid manager and energy market operator in the central Midwest, “faces a capacity shortfall in its North and Central areas, resulting in high risk of energy emergencies during peak summer conditions.”

“More extreme temperatures, higher generation outages, or low wind conditions expose the MISO North and Central areas to higher risk of temporary operator-initiated load shedding to maintain system reliability,” the report said of the MISO region, which runs from Canada’s Manitoba province to Louisiana.

“An elevated risk of energy emergencies persists” across the West this summer “as dry hydrological conditions threaten the availability of hydroelectric energy for transfer.” Assuming that nearly 3,400 megawatts of new resources are available as scheduled this summer, California should be able to meet peak power demands this summer, the report said. But a repeat of the heat dome that scorched the entire West in 2019 could threaten the availability of imported power that the state depends on, causing energy emergencies.

In Texas, a “combination of extreme peak demand, low wind, and high outage rates from thermal generators could require system operators to use emergency procedures, up to and including temporary manual load shedding.” Delays in completing new transmission lines now underway “may contribute to localized reliability concerns.”
    https://www.eenews.net/articles/grid...bering-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US is experiencing more outages globally than any other industrialized nation,” she said. “About 70% of our grid is nearing end of life.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...uts/ar-AAXCPbJ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The world is grappling with “more than two years of global supply chain distress caused by the pandemic, the spreading fallout from the war in Ukraine and extreme weather caused by climate change,” said Henning Gloystein, an analyst at Eurasia Group. “The main risk is that if we see major blackouts on top of all the aforementioned problems this year, that could trigger some form of humanitarian crisis in terms of food and energy shortages on a scale not seen in decades.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NERC report detail blackouts risks for this summer: extreme temperatures, drought, wildfires, hydroelectric shortages, cyberattacks, transmission tech for renewable energy sources.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/grid...bering-report/
    Time to pull the trigger on solar panels backed with batteries, tbh.

Savign up a bit of cash for a down payment on an EV at the same time.

EV will make the panels waaaay more cost efficient. it will be nice not to hve to worry about the cost of gas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he US is experiencing more outages globally than any other industrialized nation,” she said. “About 70% of our grid is nearing end of life.”
    Guessing they mean at least in part the coal plants that are rapidly aging out. Sucks to be coal country.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/12/15...etire-by-2035/

The average operating coal-fired generating unit in the United States is 45 years old. The units that have reported plans to retire are not necessarily the oldest ones operating; some units built in the 1980s and 1990s are also scheduled to retire. When they retire, the retiring units will have approximately 50 years of service, based on their planned retirement dates.

Planned retirement dates for these plants were reported to us by power plant owners and operators. Planned retirement dates within the next four to five years are considered relatively firm; retirements further in the future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the involvement of Tesla will dissipate some of the kneejerk animus against solar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the involvement of Tesla will dissipate some of the kneejerk animus against solar.

"Take enough small storage or solar or reductions in demand and add them up and you can reach levels that add up to large power plants."

I would point out that the LED bulbs that use less than 10 percent of incandescent have collectively made a huge difference in the amount of power needed. The conversion to LED light has saved us from having to build entire power plants.

Solar + EV offers the opportunity to finally be truly energy independent, and not have to be suck-ups to the Saudi's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr

The Texas grid is prone to failure because it was designed that way.

A little over 20 years ago, Texas deregulated its energy market. And Texas is not unique in that; deregulation obviously has been kind of the story of American policy for decades. And it came to the electricity market in Texas, as it did to other states. But in Texas, it took a form that we do not see anywhere else. Essentially, they created a compe ive market where supply and demand are the rule of the day. There’s no one power company that you go to, like there is in a lot of the country. You get these competing electric providers. But the real thing that makes Texas unique is that it is what they call an “energy-only market.”

In other parts of the country, a power plant, also known as a generator, gets paid to be around in case they’re needed. But in Texas, in an attempt to create this kind of perfect compe ive market, they said, “No, you’re only going to make money by selling electricity at the time that it is needed, at its time of use.” So our generators only make money selling power on the market.

When you take that approach and you couple it with the law of supply and demand, what you’re doing is you’re creating a system that is run on scarcity. The less electricity that is available, the more expensive it will be. So in our market, we created a system where power plant operators make their margins by relying on moments of extreme scarcity that will drive up the price of electricity. And this will be their big payday. These moments may only come a handful of times a year but this is where you make your money.

Proponents of this market said that it incentivizes efficiency. Like, you cut out all the fat, and you don’t have any electricity generators that are getting paid to just sit around. They would claim that that creates an efficient market. The reality, though, is that when you need extra power on hand, you have less of it available
    https://www.vox.com/recode/23144696/...e-winter-storm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DFW Oncor outages as of 4pm yesterday

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The record-setting heat is putting additional stress on our equipment. We have crews fanned out across our service area. They are working to make repairs as quickly and safely as possible. We acknowledge that any type of outage causes frustration, and inconveniences to our customers, especially in this heat. We are grateful to for their patience.
    https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/el...texas/2990653/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the grid is fine, some transformers blew up"

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL frustration and inconvenience, in this heat and humidity it'll be deaths outages cause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No problem, we're prepared for the heat, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Already 16 100+ days in San Antonio by June 16th and 12 more forecast this month, with the other 2 days forecast at 99.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What blows me away in this report is last year had the mildest summer I can ever remember here, but it was still the 53rd hottest out of 127 on record for Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't surprise me if 2022 beats 2011 though. IIRC 2011 had a really nasty June and then a similar July but August actually seemed kind of cool, doubt we'll get rescued by an August cooldown this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas getting reliably screwed.

RUC = "reliability unit commitments"

ERCOT now procures 6,500 MW of non-spinning reserve generation in the day ahead market, and up to an additional 1,000 MW more on days with high forecast demand or uncertainty. The reserve was raised from approximately 4,500 MW after Winter Storm Uri.

Bivens, representatives from ERCOT, and Public Utilities Commission of Texas (PUCT) Chairman Peter Lake testified to the Texas Senate Committee on Business & Commerce on efforts to reform wholesale markets. The “conservative” approach has meant expanded use of emergency resources, and bringing more resources online sooner.
    https://www.utilitydive.com/news/a-c...or-con/620312/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lax energy efficiency regulations and the lack of incentives thereto mean Texans use more and pay more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reliability sucked before Uri

Thread Information