PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Overrated NBA Players

SpursFanFirst
08-16-2008, 11:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8455178&MSNHPHMA#sport=NBA&photo=8455148

Check out #4
Robert Horry, Spurs

Robert Horry doesn't get a whole lot of attention during the regular season, but when the playoffs come around he is getting more publicity than the Beckhams. Yeah, big names are born in the playoffs, but let's examine his career average stats: seven points and 4.8 rebounds. "Sure," you say, "but he saves his game for the playoffs when it counts." Horry's career averages for the playoffs are 8.4 points and 5.8 rebounds. He shoots 42 percent in the regular season and 43 percent in the playoffs. Those shots in the final minute have been clutch, no doubt, but what about the other 47 minutes in the game?

IronMexican
08-16-2008, 11:52 PM
most bullshit list ever.

take Wade, Horry, and Battier off of it.

timvp
08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Battier and Marion as one and two is a good call. Those two are massively overrated. I'm not sure if Yao is more overrated or just injury prone. Wade is definitely just injury prone. Healthy, Wade is a beast.

The writer made a mistake of looking at numbers when it comes to Horry. Although he fell off the last few years, in his career he was deathly clutch offensively and defensively. There isn't a stat for that.

DROB4EVER
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I think Battier is a very good player dont know how he can be considered overated. Strong defender and rebounder, can get to the rim, draws fouls and has no plays run for him yet still gets 9ppg.

Wade is overrated.

Yao, just injury prone but when he plays he is top 10-12 player in the league

YOU WANT OVERRATED AMARE DUDIMIRE. No D, and if it wasnt for nash making him look good and his over inflated numbers due to style of play no one would talk about the guy.

ducks
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
#1 james
#2 james
#3 james
#4 james
#5 james

sook
08-17-2008, 12:02 AM
How the hell is battier overrated? The guy finished 2nd for DPOY! ( voted on by coaches)

And Horry?!?!?!??! The guy has earned his "Big shot" name for his ability to make it count when it matters most.

Hmm......there going after the spurs,rockets and heat....i wonder what kind of fan wrote this.

HINT* (THEY ARE THE ONLY TX TEAM BESIDES THE ROCKETS AND SPURS) :lol:lol:ihit

SpursFanFirst
08-17-2008, 12:02 AM
#1 james
#2 james
#3 james
#4 james
#5 james

:lol

JMarkJohns
08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
I would aregue that while Horry made the most of his opportunities in the clutch and the postseason, that he is somewhat overrated. Maybe not enough to be on this list, but he's never been an All-Star caliber player, and yet after every ring he racks up there's always a mention of "HOF?" ... He's had the luxery of playing alongside the three best big men of the last 25 years. He got lucky to be drafted by Houston, and then stumbled into playing with Shaq in LA, but did choose to play with Duncan. The one destination where it required effort to elevate a team he threw a towel in the face of the coach, quitting before he ever really started. He wasn't interested in playing hard. He wanted a coat-tail ride all the way to the Title. Sure, he enabled his teams to win them by hitting several pivotal shots, and sure he was a solid defender for most of his career, but he didn't want to carry the load, and he certainly didn't put in effort where the eventual reward wasn't a Title.

That always bothered me, just how easily he quit when he was asked to work hard to win. Now, I know the backstory behind his towel-throwing incident, so I know there was a running fued with Ainge anyways, but Horry never seemed to care whether the Suns won or lost, nor did he ever seem to do a thing about it.

He's built a legacy, for sure, but his attitude has kept him from being twice the player he could have been.

Marion is probably overrated, but don't you have to be rated first before you can be overrated? Marion overrates himself, but I don't think the media hypes him to levels of greatness that he doesn't fulfill. He's a whiney bitch most times, and is certainly full of himself, but he's a 20-10 player for most of his career. Now, his defense is overrated, but that's just one aspect. Maybe that's enough, though...

Battier gets hyped because he went to Duke. Almost all Dukees get that "pass" as far as media coverage/boot-licking. He's a very good defensive player who plays hard and smart. Hard to say he's overrated, because I don't think too many rate him very highly overall.

I think Yao is as overrated as McGrady or Francis ever were. He's unlucky, to be sure, but I've never even seen a healthy Yao dominate the way the press makes it sound, or play as fantastic as his skill set is described.

"You were supposed to be this colossus. You were this great legendary thing, and yet he gains!"

That line from The Princess Bride is all I ever think of when I see Ming play. I can see him actually belonging.

Wade is not overrated enough to be on this list. Sometimes the media overstates his ability/greatness, but when healthy, he's as good as there is in the League. Injuries make it seem like he's underachieved, but I don't think he has.

Overall I'd say Yao definitely belongs in the top five, with Horry and Marion being probables, Battier a maybe, and Wade a no chance.

baseline bum
08-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I think it's hard to call Marion overrated anymore, because everyone knows he sucks now and was a product of the system. It's kind of like back when the whole world had already come to the conclusion that Allan Houston and Eddie Jones sucked.

Lakers_55
08-17-2008, 12:44 AM
I just saw this and am glad a discussion is already going. It's just one writer's opinion, we should offer ours....

who would I pick?

no order, and since I'm exhausted, I'm only picking Lakers.

Radmonivich. He is good for spurts but that's about it. He was pressed into a starting role due to injuries. We expect him to light things up, but he isn't consistent.
Vujacic: He goes in spurts too. True he has gotten better with his game, but hasn't proven enough yet. He promised to improve in off season and the contract we gave him says we believe him.
Odom: Trade bait every year, has flashes of brilliance and sometimes disappears. Bad at the free throw line. Needs to live up to his potential as well, and more frequently.
Gasol: Yeah, you guys say he's soft. Maybe he'll listen. He isn't a true center and that's where he had to play last year. So, we haven't seen his full potential yet with this Laker unit.
Bynum: Only because you guys say he is overrated. Honestly, he still has things to prove, let's give him a chance.

Go ahead, call the Lakers anything you want. The late Chick Hearn, our broadcaster for 40 years, called things as he saw them. When LA stank, we knew it. However, the road to the NBA finals goes through LA this year!

Go ahead folks, bitch about the players on the team you love the most as I just did!

timvp
08-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Go ahead folks, bitch about the players on the team you love the most as I just did!Last year this time, Jacque Vaughn was easily the most overrated player on the Spurs. Now? Probably Kurt Thomas.

If you want to go by what the national media says, for some reason the national media either vastly overrates or underrates Ginobili. One second he's the best player on the team and more important than Duncan, the next second he's blamed for all that ills the Spurs. The national media just can't grasp the fact that Ginobili is a damn good player when healthy, although he's not the best player on the team.

timaios
08-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Horry was good when it counted.
Horry was clutch in the money time.

It is the opposite of overrated !

lurker23
08-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Last year this time, Jacque Vaughn was easily the most overrated player on the Spurs. Now? Probably Kurt Thomas.

I'll probably agree with this, though the most overrated player that the Spurs own rights to is easily James Gist.

Most underrated? Matt Bonner, no doubt. What people don't realize about him is that he is actually capable of playing basketball in the NBA. I'm not saying he's likely to make anyone's starting 5, but if he's given minutes he can contribute to any team in the NBA, including the Spurs.

Admiral
08-17-2008, 01:54 AM
It's kind of like back when the whole world had already come to the conclusion that Allan Houston and Eddie Jones sucked.

:lmao

timaios
08-17-2008, 02:10 AM
I'll probably agree with this, though the most overrated player that the Spurs own rights to is easily James Gist.

Most underrated? Matt Bonner, no doubt. What people don't realize about him is that he is actually capable of playing basketball in the NBA. I'm not saying he's likely to make anyone's starting 5, but if he's given minutes he can contribute to any team in the NBA, including the Spurs.

Matt Bonner had good stats when he played for Toronto.
Being in the doghouse is not good for your confidence.
Maybe with some regular playing time and a little faith from Pop ?...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5152/mattbonnerstatsbr9.jpg

timtonymanu
08-17-2008, 02:35 AM
obviously the list was written by a mavs fan. the list sucked. IMO, 5 overrated are

5. Richard Hamilton - i've never seen why he has been invited to the all-star game 3 straight times.
4. Kevin Garnett - he had to get his first ring w/ help from pierce and allen. choker!
3. Dirk Nowitzki - another choker
2. Steve Nash - no doubt he's one of the best passers and shooters, but he cant play d at all.
1. Agent 0/Pau Gasol - Agent 0: the wizards were better off w/o him. Pau Gasol: lol. i remember people having orgasms over the signing of this guy. soft or what. watch the finals again and dont tell me he messed up alot.

LakerLanny
08-17-2008, 02:55 AM
Iverson and no one else is even a close 2nd.

IronMexican
08-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Iverson and no one else is even a close 2nd.

:tu

rj215
08-17-2008, 03:18 AM
1. KG is a stat monster but he shies away from the big shot during the biggest moments.

2. Paul Pierce had one really good playoff run....and decided he was the best player on the planet.

3. Ray Allen was a no show through most of the playoffs and has always been a one dimensional player.

Brutalis
08-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Matt Bonner had good stats when he played for Toronto.
Being in the doghouse is not good for your confidence.
Maybe with some regular playing time and a little faith from Pop ?...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5152/mattbonnerstatsbr9.jpg

Dang Bonner's career is going down the poop shoot here.

Magic_Johnson
08-17-2008, 04:24 AM
obviously the list was written by a mavs fan. the list sucked. IMO, 5 overrated are

5. Richard Hamilton - i've never seen why he has been invited to the all-star game 3 straight times.
4. Kevin Garnett - he had to get his first ring w/ help from pierce and allen. choker!
3. Dirk Nowitzki - another choker
2. Steve Nash - no doubt he's one of the best passers and shooters, but he cant play d at all.
1. Agent 0/Pau Gasol - Agent 0: the wizards were better off w/o him. Pau Gasol: lol. i remember people having orgasms over the signing of this guy. soft or what. watch the finals again and dont tell me he messed up alot.

if you are a spurs fan, you can't call Dirk a choker.

angel_luv
08-17-2008, 05:01 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8455178&MSNHPHMA#sport=NBA&photo=8455148

Check out #4
Robert Horry, Spurs

Robert Horry doesn't get a whole lot of attention during the regular season, but when the playoffs come around he is getting more publicity than the Beckhams. Yeah, big names are born in the playoffs, but let's examine his career average stats: seven points and 4.8 rebounds. "Sure," you say, "but he saves his game for the playoffs when it counts." Horry's career averages for the playoffs are 8.4 points and 5.8 rebounds. He shoots 42 percent in the regular season and 43 percent in the playoffs. Those shots in the final minute have been clutch, no doubt, but what about the other 47 minutes in the game?

Having Rob's big shots go in for your team is worth all the praise and pennies he has earned.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

ManuTastic
08-17-2008, 07:32 AM
This was obviously written before these Olympics started. Wade is a BEAST in China. It's really nice to see that he's back all the way from bad injuries.

ambchang
08-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Any over-rated list that does not include Gilbert Arenas at #1 is just flat out wrong. Garnett @ #2,and the rest could be anyone.

Wade and Yao? They are just injury prone, definitely not overrated.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2008, 09:26 AM
5. Iverson - couldn't do shit with Anthony, Smith, Nene, and Camby.
4. Garnett - was the 3rd best player on his team in the finals.
3. Battier - overrated defense, not great offensively.
2. Marion - whiny bitch tweener.
1. Arenas - just got a near max contract from a team that was literally better without him.

diego
08-17-2008, 10:03 AM
this stuff is always relative to what your hype/expectation of a player is anyway, but IMO-

i understand why some people dont like iverson, but what he did with philly was incredible. I know they were lucky and it was still a good team, but it was an incredible performance through the entire playoffs, that coming from a dude as small as him was just amazing. much more impressive IMO than anything wade has done.
i dont pin the denver disaster on iverson, at worst he is still their 2nd best player and at 33 for a guard that is no small feat. the knock on him was always that he was all speed and athleticism and he's still doing his thing.

its not a matter of who the better player is, its more of a matter of if they meet the expectations they generate. I think iverson has done a much better job of that than yao or KG, or even kobe for that matter (remember when the gasol trade went down, 90% of laker fans and their media brethren were already annointing the lakers, because "now kobe has weapons, and a man as competitive as him can't lose." yet, win or lose, kobe underperformed badly in the finals, and got outplayed by PP). wade is a special case, because he went from under to over with the 2006 finals and is now struggling with the weight of those expectations.

10 years from now, i'm going to remember more of AI's failed finals run than I am wade v dirk or kobe losing his first finals "on his own", or yao's constant injuries.

but thats just me...

manufor3
08-17-2008, 11:49 AM
that list sucked:
5. Iverson, couldn't do anything without a cast
4. Gasol, Soft, yet somehow everyone (by that I mean laker fans) think he's a beast
3. KG, Puts up stats, but disappears in the clutch
2. Battier, How in the world did this guy suddenly get considered a great defender?
1. Agent 0, His team is actually BETTER without him, and some people still think he should be the leader.

Biggems
08-17-2008, 12:10 PM
what, no TMAC or Wince Carter?

Tully365
08-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Iverson. When I watch him play defense, I'm amazed that he is allowed to get away with what he does: he floats around looking for steals, almost never covers his guy, and is always the first to cheat upcourt for cherrypicking when a shot is released, regardless of how good the shot looks. The frustrating thing is that with his quickness he could be a good defender. He acts like he's playing for the Globetrotters or And 1.

ALAMO_DEFENSE
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Overrated? Amare is overrated. This monkey is a one-trick-pony. He only does the pick n' roll,,,,,nothing else. Close the paint, and he will be in foul trouble.

tonyisamazing
08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Dork Novitski
4 Paul Pierce
3 Kevin Garnett
2 Amare Stoudimire
1 Gilbert Arenas

jack sommerset
08-17-2008, 03:44 PM
5 Dork Novitski
4 Paul Pierce
3 Kevin Garnett
2 Amare Stoudimire
1 Gilbert Arenas

Thats a ALL STAR team and all 5 have a chance to be HOF.

wildbill2u
08-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Horry has never played up to the potential seen for him as a 11th pick overall in the 1992 draft.

He's averaged back-up minutes (24.) and only had 3 years with 30 or more minutes reserved for starters.

And during that span he's averaged only 69 games per season with only 4 seasons of 80 games or more.

Perhaps its lack of playing time that is the reason his stats aren't noteworthy. For a shooter, He's only had three seasons in double figures (10, 10.2 and 12) in his first four seasons. Then he learned he could earn big money without working hard because of his 'potential'.

His only honors came in his rookie year where he was on the All-Rookie 2nd team. Wow!

Most players who earn solid reps do it on demonstrated skills, season after season, rather than a few isolated last minute shots in a very few seasons. What about the seasons and playoff games where he didn't do shit? We tend to forget those.

If he gets into the the HOF it will be as an oddity because of all the rings, sort of like Bob Lanier's shoes (size 16EEEEE)

IronMexican
08-17-2008, 04:07 PM
1.Tim Duncan
2. Manu Ginobli
3.Tony Parker
4. Bruce Bowen
5. Matt Bonner:p:

Serious list

1.Arenas
2.Iverson
3. KG
4. James Posey suddenly became vastly overrated, but i like him
5. Marion

vander
08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Wade is definitely #1 overrated
also
Duncan is a shell of his former self but not everybody realizes it yet, so in that respect he should be on the list :depressed

duncan228
08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Duncan is a shell of his former self but not everybody realizes it yet, so in that respect he should be on the list :depressed

"A shell"? I don't think so. Duncan may not be what he was at 25, but who is? He's got a lot left, he rose in the Playoffs as he always does (except when he got sick). I believe he's got more Championships in him. As long as he stays healthy he'll be a threat again this season.

lrrr
08-17-2008, 06:21 PM
You can't compile an overrated list without Jermaine O'neal. At least Amare shoots over 50% as a PF. JO has been shooting, what, 42% the last couple years?

I also don't think you can call someone who has a finals MVP overrated, so quit hating on Pierce and Wade.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
1. Vince Carter
2. Pau Gasol
3. Gilbert Arenas
4. Peja Stojakovic
5. TJ Ford

johnny_J_Jackson
08-17-2008, 07:02 PM
The people who do these lists at fox sports drink tall glasses of semen.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Wade is definitely #1 overrated
also

Wade's the best player in the league when healthy. He's by far the best player on team USA right now. Anyone that considers putting him on an overrated list knows little to nothing about basketball. He's Manu with more athletic ability.

DROB4EVER
08-18-2008, 12:52 AM

Damn thats nasty!

Dramon
08-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I don't see anything overrated about leading your team to a championship. And anyone that mentions Shaq probably thought that the Suns trade was gonna work out. (Wade)

Overrated is leading your team to the best record in the league, winning regular season MVP, and losing in the first round of the playoffs in a 7 game series. This is also after losing in the finals the previous year. (Dirk)

How is Pau Gasol overrated? Last time I checked he lived up to all his scouting reports in the playoffs last year, soft.

Also, I don't think Arenas has ever been overrated. Last time I checked everyone knew he was a shoot first gunslinger. Sure he got signed to a max contract after his team was better without him but that probably had more to do with the fact that the media and revenue he generates makes him worth it in the eyes of Washington.

If they're gonna overrate someone in Houston it should have been Rafer Alston. And if you guys are gonna overrate someone in Denver instead of overrating Iverson, it should have been Melo. Hell, make that Camby. He won Defensive MVP and led the league in blocks but still noone can seem to figure out that the overall defensive impact he has isn't really that great.

Xylus
08-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Amare is possibly the most offensively efficient player in the league. How can a guy like that be overrated? No one overrates his defense. No one overrates his rebounding. Even on a list of the best PF's in the game, very few people would put him above Duncan or Garnett.

He's appropriately rated by most, but most certainly underrated by the general Spurs fanbase.

balli
08-18-2008, 01:28 AM
5. Chris Paul- because according to a recent ST survey, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103001 at almost a 3:1 ratio, people think he is better than Deron Williams. That is simply not the case. Deron Williams!

4. Wade- Can't stay healthy, only got a ring because Shaq, Zo and the Refs gave him everything they had. Has the most potential to come off the list, but he has to prove he can stay healthy and effective without Shaq there.

3. Arenas- duh

2. Carlos Boozer- because he might be the worst defensive PF in the league and offensively, he melts like butter against good opposition. He should be thought of the same way you'd think of Zach Randolph.

1. Baron Davis- Besides one good season with the Hornets, The Warriors late playoff push and subsequent second round loss, he's been fat, hurt and ineffective.

Sissiborgo
08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
overrated player is Kobe Bryant.Like popole that don't know allot about nba they say kobe is the best just beacuse he scored 81 points ore 82 in one game but thats great but hes overrated!

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Shane Battier?
I never heard anyone describe as more of a quality role player (which he is)
How can you be overrated if no one says your great?

mrspurs
08-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Check out #4
Robert Horry, Spurs

100% agreed....only time horry was any good was when he was young and in houston.(he actually played great defense) after that horry was allowed by the league to choose the next upcoming championship contender every season after he left houston. horry is not only overrated he is also a cheap shot artist. there are plenty of videos to prove that. i for one was glad the spurs didnt bring him back. with that being said and the current bigs on our roster, i wouldnt be surprised if the spurs called him up during the season :lol

mrspurs
08-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I think Battier is a very good player dont know how he can be considered overated. Strong defender and rebounder, can get to the rim, draws fouls and has no plays run for him yet still gets 9ppg.

Wade is overrated.

Yao, just injury prone but when he plays he is top 10-12 player in the league

YOU WANT OVERRATED AMARE DUDIMIRE. No D, and if it wasnt for nash making him look good and his over inflated numbers due to style of play no one would talk about the guy.

oh so true :lol

mrspurs
08-18-2008, 09:23 AM

your just plain weird....3 words seek help please :downspin:

vander
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Wade's the best player in the league when healthy. He's by far the best player on team USA right now. Anyone that considers putting him on an overrated list knows little to nothing about basketball. He's Manu with more athletic ability.

:lmao

tlongII
08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
You cannot make a list like this without including Bruce Bowen.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Terrible list. Battier is one of those guys like Josh Howard was a couple of years ago where he made so many "Top 5 Underrated" lists that people started overrating him for whatever reason.

Wade and Yao are MVP caliber talents when they are healthy. How much you want to knock on guys who are injured is up to you, but they are guys who will usually give it their all when they are on the floor.

As for Horry, maybe my time here has given me a different opinion from the sports world at large, but it's been a long time since I've seen anyone overrate him. I do remember some people debating whether or not he had a shot at the HOF after his 05 heroics, but that was the closest I've ever seen. He's the very definition of "intangibles".

The lone pick I agree with on that list is Marion. I think a blind squirrel just managed to find a nut on that one.

My List:
1. Shawn Marion
2. Gerald Wallace
3. AK47
4. Josh Howard
5. Ron Artest

JMarkJohns
08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Terrible list. Battier is one of those guys like Josh Howard was a couple of years ago where he made so many "Top 5 Underrated" lists that people started overrating him for whatever reason.

Wade and Yao are MVP caliber talents when they are healthy. How much you want to knock on guys who are injured is up to you, but they are guys who will usually give it their all when they are on the floor.

As for Horry, maybe my time here has given me a different opinion from the sports world at large, but it's been a long time since I've seen anyone overrate him. I do remember some people debating whether or not he had a shot at the HOF after his 05 heroics, but that was the closest I've ever seen. He's the very definition of "intangibles".

The lone pick I agree with on that list is Marion. I think a blind squirrel just managed to find a nut on that one.

My List:
1. Shawn Marion
2. Gerald Wallace
3. AK47
4. Josh Howard
5. Ron Artest

Yao has had several opportunities to prove himself in the playoffs and has failed. He's an incredible talent, who's had some very good coaching and talent around him and can't quite get his team to the next level of play. He was so important to Houston that when he was lost for the season, they still won like 13/14 games in a row without him.

Any team would be lucky to have him, but people make him out to be a top-10 player and he's not. He may put up the stats to be, but he hasn't led his team anywhere. The media hypes him as truly great, but in reality, he's a very good player who doesn't do one single thing great. The fact that he can't stay healthy doesn't even factor in for me. When healthy he's still not the player most make him out to be.

wisnub
08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I just saw this and am glad a discussion is already going. It's just one writer's opinion, we should offer ours....

who would I pick?

no order, and since I'm exhausted, I'm only picking Lakers.

Radmonivich. He is good for spurts but that's about it. He was pressed into a starting role due to injuries. We expect him to light things up, but he isn't consistent.
Vujacic: He goes in spurts too. True he has gotten better with his game, but hasn't proven enough yet. He promised to improve in off season and the contract we gave him says we believe him.
Odom: Trade bait every year, has flashes of brilliance and sometimes disappears. Bad at the free throw line. Needs to live up to his potential as well, and more frequently.
Gasol: Yeah, you guys say he's soft. Maybe he'll listen. He isn't a true center and that's where he had to play last year. So, we haven't seen his full potential yet with this Laker unit.
Bynum: Only because you guys say he is overrated. Honestly, he still has things to prove, let's give him a chance.

Go ahead, call the Lakers anything you want. The late Chick Hearn, our broadcaster for 40 years, called things as he saw them. When LA stank, we knew it. However, the road to the NBA finals goes through LA this year!

Go ahead folks, bitch about the players on the team you love the most as I just did!

I respect you that you only picking your own team players. Im surpriseed you include gasol there, im my opinion Gasol is the reason why lakers went to Finals. He maybe soft, but he definitely a key success, look at winning percetage before and after he went in. I wont pick LA players coz I live in LA although I didnt like lakers in general, but Lakers is a good team regardless i hate em or not.
I still see Kincks players are overrated and overpaid as well...with that kind of record in less competitive east,looking at their payroll is an amazing thing

JamStone
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
It's hard to call role players overrated. I don't agree with that at all. Guys like Battier and Horry are role players or specialists. They do what they are asked to do at a very high level. To overrate them is to say people expect more from them than what they give. I don't think that's the case with either.

My 5 most overrated players in the NBA:

1. Shawn Marion - I put him on the top of my list but I think more and more people, including NBA coaches, players, and GMs already realize that he's not worth his contract and isn't a franchise type player, let alone worth a max contract. He's a perfect third option because he does a lot of things well but cannot create his own shot to be the focus of an offense. I'd take Gerald Wallace at less than 50% the cost.

2. Paul Pierce - Give him all the credit in the world for being the "man" on the team that won the title in June, and for having several outstanding performances in their playoff run. But, now people are talking about him in the same breath as Kobe. No way. He still had several poor showings in the playoffs and wasn't the main factor that made the Celtics climb from a lottery team to a championship team. The previous 2-3 years highlight his inability to carry a team without a great supporting cast, especially with Boston being in the Eastern Conference and still being as shitty as they were the last couple seasons.

3. Michael Redd - He's paid as a max player and considered by many as a borderline superstar. I think he's neither. He'd be an outstanding second or third option on a very good team. But, he cannot carry a team as the main guy. And, he's got no above average skill other than shooting.

4. Chauncey Billups - once a very underrated player, and then he got way overrated. His defense especially is hugely overrated. He doesn't have the the quickness or mindset to push the ball up and he hasn't been that clutch since the 2004 title.

5. Deron Williams - I put him on my list with hesitation because I do think he's a really good, young player. But, I add him on my list because there are more and more people that seem to think he's the best point guard in the league now, better than CP3 and Nash. I don't think he's in their company. I see a kid with a very good skill set and great size and strength for a point guard. But, I also see a kid that excels in a proven system with just the right mix of players around him. I don't think he would play as well or put up the same type of numbers if he wasn't in Sloan's pick-and-roll system. Watching him on Team USA even when it's not fourth quarter garbage time, I see a kid that forces the action too much despite having some of the best basketball players in the world as teammates. I think having a great system and Sloan actually giving him a lot of freedom on offense makes it the best of both worlds for him to put up great numbers. I still think he's overrated.

I'm surprised how many people mentioned Allen Iverson and then say he couldn't do shit with the cast he had the last couple years, as if it has been completely forgotten what he did with Aaron McKie as the second best player on his team, along with Eric Snow, George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Matt Geiger, and Dikembe Mutombo for less than half a season.

And, while Amare has still yet to really develop his defense, I think it's harsh to call him overrated. That guy put up something like 37 and 15 in a playoff series against Duncan and the Spurs. And, that was before he became really reliable with his midrange jumper. He definitely has flaws and his numbers are helped by Nash and the pick-and-roll for sure. But, I don't think he's one of the top 5 most overrated players in the league.

brianrocks7
08-18-2008, 02:36 PM
overrated player is Kobe Bryant.Like popole that don't know allot about nba they say kobe is the best just beacuse he scored 81 points ore 82 in one game but thats great but hes overrated!

i agree. and he's so damn cocky

debo
08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
D howard

he's awesome, but overrated

bdictjames
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I think Kidd should definitely be #1 in that list.

brettn
08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I think Kidd should definitely be #1 in that list.

Agreed, although he was exposed as over the hill, old and too slow to keep up with younger elite PG's in last years playoffs. Most people don't think of him nearly as highly as they did when he was traded in the middle of last season and expected to be some sort of savior to Dallas.

Calling him "overrated" might be a little unfair going into this next season seeing as how no one expects a whole lot from him or Dallas.

kobyz
08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
#1 R.C Buford

Mister Sinister
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
#1 R.C Buford
Fuh-ail.

ducks
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
6 scola
7 scola
8 scola
9 scola
10 scola

tonyisamazing
08-18-2008, 03:57 PM
"Thats a ALL STAR team and all 5 have a chance to be HOF."
Are you kidding me? Amare Stoudimire in the Hall Of Fame? He is definetly a product of steve nash and would be nothing without nash

JamStone
08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Hate all you want, but Amare's numbers are right in line for the Hall of Fame at this point in his career. He was already a 21 ppg / 9 rpg guy as a second year player before he played with Steve Nash.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Ask Kings fans how overrated Robert Horry is. Ask Pistons fans, Suns fans,....

Hell, ask Laker, Rocket and Spurs fans.

RoHo is the man. Anyone who thinks otherwise can suck a last second 3-point clutch ass ding donger.

baseline bum
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Stoudemire is a sure-fire HOFer unless his knee blows up. Arenas takes the cake for most overrated player right now. Ewing gets the nod all-time.

sook
08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
dwight howard.

The guy did GOOD vs the raptors with his 20/20 game but come on...the raptors.

He got SAT vs the pistons and seemed helpless.

The guy has no solid post moves and that dunk in the dunk contest wasn't even a fuking

dunk, also don't gimme that bullshit about how he was so high up he threw it in, most of

the players that dunk can throw it in.

Paul Pierce, no one mentioned that guy and he just got spoon fed one of the most talented championship teams ever and he thinks he's a god.

The guy that wrote this article has no knowledge of the NBA whatsoever, and like the guy above me said, he's probably drinking tall glasses of seamen.

Lakers_55
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I respect you that you only picking your own team players. Im surpriseed you include gasol there, im my opinion Gasol is the reason why lakers went to Finals. He maybe soft, but he definitely a key success, look at winning percetage before and after he went in. I wont pick LA players coz I live in LA although I didnt like lakers in general, but Lakers is a good team regardless i hate em or not.
I still see Kincks players are overrated and overpaid as well...with that kind of record in less competitive east,looking at their payroll is an amazing thing
Thanks. I was about to fall asleep when I replied and there was no way I could think beyond the players I know the best. I could have considered Luke Walton, a lot of loyal Laker fans dislike him immensely. Inconsistent.

Yeah, Gasol was a big difference and why we won the west. Now that he has been called out as soft, let's see what he and Bynum can do together.

bostonguy
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
2. Paul Pierce - Give him all the credit in the world for being the "man" on the team that won the title in June, and for having several outstanding performances in their playoff run. But, now people are talking about him in the same breath as Kobe. No way.
This I agree with.

He still had several poor showings in the playoffs and wasn't the main factor that made the Celtics climb from a lottery team to a championship team.The previous 2-3 years highlight his inability to carry a team without a great supporting cast, especially with Boston being in the Eastern Conference and still being as shitty as they were the last couple seasons.

ALL superstars(Even though he is not in the class of Kobe/Lebron, Pierce is still a legit superstar) need a damn good supporting cast to get over that hump. KG showed in Minny that he wasnt fit to be "the man" and also had his share of poor playoff showings to go with average supporting casts. It was and still is not his role. His role is anchoring the D, rebounding, and being a #2 sidekick type of player. This took pressure off of Pierce with not having to carry the team alone but it also helped KG in not having to be the man late in games.

You cant call the Celts #2 guy(KG) a superstar but call their #1 guy(Pierce) an allstar. Pierce is either the lone superstar, both guys are superstars, or none of them are superstars making them the 2nd team to win a championships without a superstar since the 2004 Pistons.

lrrr
08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
An overrated player is one who gets a lot of "credit" (or money) but who really does little for the success of the team. So here is my list. none of these guys have been winners in any sort of capacity, which makes me think they are overrated

1. Glibert Arenas
2. Vince Carter
3. Jermaine O'Neal
4. Shawn Marion
5. Rashard Lewis

kobe_mvp_24
08-19-2008, 02:06 AM

how can he be overrated..
if u dont know anythin about the guy, coz u dont know how much exactly he scored durin that famous game..82 or 81?

its 81 buddy.