PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Treatment Of Duncan May Help Cavs Keep James

duncan228
11-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Spurs' treatment of Duncan may help Cavs keep James (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_treatment_of_Duncan_may_help_Cavs_keep_James .html)
Mike Monroe

With hysteria already building in Ohio about LeBron James’ free-agency summer of 2010, it should not be lost on prospective suitors that James has cited his admiration for Tim Duncan’s loyalty to the Spurs.

Spurs coach and president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich, of course, often jokes that Duncan is the real boss of everything Spurs-related, but it is no joke that Duncan is consulted whenever the team considers important player moves.

Cavs coach Mike Brown got his B.A. in coaching under Popovich, so news that Brown has created a Captaincy by Committee for his team is no great surprise.

Brown’s approach makes even more sense, relative to the Cavs’ desperate desire to build James’ loyalty. He is on The Committee, along with veteran center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, new point guard Mo Williams and veteran power forward Ben Wallace.

The Committee meets regularly, and discusses everything from disciplinary issues to where the team stays on the road.

If James feels a bond of brotherhood with his three fellow captains, well, The Committee may be the best bit of coaching of Brown’s career.

scanry
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Pretty badly written article. Then again what more do we expect from Monroe.

ducks
11-29-2008, 10:49 PM
why do I care about james
you are paid to write on the spurs
james will never be a spur

DMX7
11-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Pretty badly written article. Then again what more do we expect from Monroe.

I get what he's saying though.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 01:09 AM
The best part is the plan to have Zydrunas Ilgauskas fly back from his vacation home in Lithuania to convince LeBron to stay.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-30-2008, 02:50 AM
The best part is the plan to have Zydrunas Ilgauskas fly back from his vacation home in Lithuania to convince LeBron to stay.

:lmao
I guess Boozer chose Derek Anderson when the Cavs were selecting Spurs as role models.

mrspurs
11-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Nice read as always. (seriously thanks 228). I think the Cavs will wake up one day and realize that only the Spurs can run what Spurs started. All of the teams that have molded their teams like ours are not having the success we did. And you cant blame it on talent.

ShoogarBear
11-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Great post, mrspurs. Thanks for your insight.