PDA

View Full Version : Turn on WOAI News

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Don Harris interviewing Malik at Malik's house, coming up next.

Solid D
02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
:) Sorry, I posted duplicate thread.

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
:(

Will the video be hosted on the WOAI site?

Ignite
02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know where Malik's house is in San Antonio?

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
That was the saddest thing I've seen in a long, long time.

Sorry Malik. :(

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Will the video be hosted on the WOAI site?

I'll see if I can get it up in the morning.

Solid D
02-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Just when the eyes started focusing again, then Tanji had to fog me up again. We're gonna miss that guy, a lot.

MannyIsGod
Fuck man, I HATE this trade.

Ignite
Seeing that interview made me have second thoughts on trading Malik. Don is right, we need more guys like Malik, when all you see is the Latrell Spreewells, Ron Artests, and Allen Iversons on TV, it makes people think most NBA players are like that. but Malik Rose is the kind of guy people want on there team on character alone.

ChumpDumper
I'll see if I can get it up in the morning.That's LJ's job

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2005, 11:32 PM
:( Sad to hear.

Neonmoon83
02-24-2005, 11:32 PM
If you didn't tear-up seeing Malik cry and hug his mom, your dead inside :depressed

Ignite
02-24-2005, 11:33 PM
We don't realize, even though this is a business, NBA players are humans with feelings too. great job by WOAI on this interview.

Jdspur20
02-24-2005, 11:34 PM
I'll see if I can get it up in the morning.
thanks Kori.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah but Im some stupid loser (see T Park, Extra Stout, exstatic and Xcoriate) because i think this trade was shit and i am "emotionally attached" to a player. :pctoss

Neonmoon83
02-24-2005, 11:36 PM
I hope his family stay's here, and keeps on running the business. Plus isn't his brother playing basketball here?

*tears up* I sthere any way we can email or send something to him like a card? I know it's cheesy, but damn. It's like seeing someone from your family leave.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 11:37 PM
No matter what anyone thinks of Malik as a player, if they saw this, they could never doubt his heart or devotion to the Spurs and San Antonio.

ducks
02-24-2005, 11:38 PM
1200 did not come in tonight
I was driving home I had it on but I could not hear it
this is a business but the players are human beings
however they are paid very well knowing they might have to get traded

I will miss rose hustle

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't think anyone should ever doubt or question Malik as a human being, he typifies the athlete/community activist we've come to expect of our Spurs players.

It's also pretty weak to bag on anyone on the site expressing their emotions about Malik the person.

spur219
02-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Shit I havent seen it but I honestly want to cry just reading this. I loved Malik as a player but most of all I loved his heart. He played with so much heart but most of all he loved his teammates with all of his heart. Damn Nazr you have some very big shoes to fill and I don't mean stat wise.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Good guy. I can see him coming back to town after his career is done.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
It's a shame that he and Pop fell out last year. I think they were on better terms, but you never really come all the way back from something like that. Tim is now the only remaining Spur from '99.

timvp
02-24-2005, 11:42 PM
The Spurs traded away the player who cares most about winning. That's not what you do if you are trying to win a championship.

I guess Holt Cat saves a couple million down the line, so it's all good. :shootme

Why don't you wait and make this trade in the offseason. Is Nazr going to be able to step in and be better than Rose right off the bat? That's a long shot.

exstatic
I hope his family stays here and watches out for his business. I can see Malik coming back here, too.

Solid D
The WOAI TV News/Weather/Sports is replayed from 10:30 - 11:00 PM tonight on PAX (TW Cable CH 2). If you missed it, it should be replayed in a few minutes at 10:50-ish.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
The Spurs traded away the player who cares most about winning.

I must respectfully disagree. I think that Tim and Tony both burn as much for the win as Malik does.

Kori Ellis
I hope his family stays here and watches out for his business.

He said his family is staying here.

spur219
I don't live in S.A. is there a way I would be able to see it?

Marcus Bryant
http://www.s-t.com/daily/05-97/05-19-97/spurs.jpg

Kori Ellis
I can probably put a copy of it online tomorrow morning.

Das Texan
gonna miss malik the human.

sometimes you gotta make business decisions that hurt. this was one of them. wish malik nothing but the best professionally and hope to see him continue to keep this city in his heart.

TheWriter
02-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Kori, is you get the video, could you also get the beginning of the news cast. I watched the end but I heard there was some stuff at the beginning .

ChumpDumper
02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Why don't you wait and make this trade in the offseason.Do you really think teams are lining up for him? That there are always takers for Malik's contract? This is about Scola more than anything.

timvp
02-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Do you really think teams are lining up for him? That there are always takers for Malik's contract? This is about Scola more than anything.

Wait and make the same trade in the offseason.

Why not?

spur219
02-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks Kori. I still can't believe it. I just hope I would wake up tommorrow morning and that this was all a dream. You just don't throw a player that has a great attitude like him. He tried and was playing well as of late. The Knicks are not my 2nd favorite team and will buy a Knicks Rose Jersey

Marcus Bryant
02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
http://www.sarampage.com/artman/uploads/peter_holt.jpg

Hoo yah! Time to pop open a bottl...

goliath
Man, that was sad.

I understand the reasons, and probably agree witht the trade basketball-wise, but man, that interview was hard to watch.

Thanking Pop and the Spurs org for giving him the chance to be a player, the fans for making him a Texan, telling his teammates to keep pounding on the rock, getting choked up and hugging his mom. Regardless of what you think of him, you'd have to be dead inside not to get choked up after watching that.

GoSpurs21
I must respectfully disagree. I think that Tim and Tony both burn as much for the win as Malik does.After watching Manu in the Olympics this summer and during this season (see Suns away game) there is no way he should be left of the list of those with the desire to win

I dont think that anyone should be slammed for expressing that they will miss Malik, but when people start wishing for the Spurs to lose or any other bad things they must be called out and sent to time out. After all that's what you're supposed to do with someone acting like a child and throwing a tamtrum.

Solid D
02-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Those of you locally, turn on PAX (TimeWarner Ch 2) now. The Weather is just about over on the replay.

TMTTRIO
02-24-2005, 11:51 PM
That was so sad. It was especially sad when he started talking about his teammates and started breaking down when talking about how he really was going to miss them :cry. I'm still in a shock that we traded him. I always knew that was a possibility but I never thought it would happen. I wish him the best in New York and I hope he gets the playing time he deserves and I hope he comes back to SA one day. I'm going to miss him. I just noticed that both of my Spurs calenders have Malik on them for this month :cry.

Spurs_rock05
02-24-2005, 11:51 PM
i can't stop crying i'm gonna miss him sooo much.

i just hope that he will never forget us, if you cried then now you know how i feel with pop and rc

ChumpDumper
02-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Wait and make the same trade in the offseason. If you can explain to me what changed in the Knicks FO that they would now take on Malik and Mo's contracts in addition to Kurt Thomas' when last year they wouldn't take on Malik's deal alone; then I'll listen to speculation about why the Knicks' minds couldn't change again in the next 6 months.

Neonmoon83
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
The saddest thing was him mentioning "pounding on the rock". I lose it everytime I hear that metaphor. :depressed

ducks
02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
He said his family is staying here.

good I am not convinced he will be a knick next year

Manu20
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
:depressed Good luck in NY Malik. :cry

Marcus Bryant
Fuck this trade. This trade is not based on keeping Mohammed and Scola. Once Mohammed's deal is up he's gone as he will cost more than the minimum to retain, so the Spurs will let him walk. I'm not down with moves that do nothing more than line the pockets of ownership.

RobinsontoDuncan
I don't think pop has a heart. Bastard.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
This trade is not based on keeping Mohammed and Scola.So we aren't going to sign Scola?

ducks
02-24-2005, 11:58 PM
see keeping one player
or trying to help the spurs and the whole team winning a title
doing what he thinks will improve the team

see I think pop has a heart

Marcus Bryant
02-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Emphasis on "and"...

ducks
02-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Fuck this trade. This trade is not based on keeping Mohammed and Scola. Once Mohammed's deal is up he's gone as he will cost more than the minimum to retain, so the Spurs will let him walk. I'm not down with moves that do nothing more than line the pockets of ownership.

as soon as he comes in and hits the game winner or gets the o rebound for the last game you will love his ass
and he is averaging the same as rose

ducks
02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
rc already went over to see scola and they talked numbers
scola is good as signed now

timvp
02-25-2005, 12:01 AM
If you can explain to me what changed in the Knicks FO that they would now take on Malik and Mo's contracts in addition to Kurt Thomas' when last year they wouldn't take on Malik's deal alone; then I'll listen to speculation about why the Knicks' minds couldn't change again in the next 6 months.

Because the Spurs are throwing in two first round draft picks. The other trade was Rose for Thomas straight up.

The Knicks would have still done this trade on draft day. I would have prefered that to the Spurs trying now to teach a bigman with a hurt groin how to rotate on defense in the Pop scheme.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 12:01 AM
link to the RC already has Scola in agreement to sign Ducks?

picnroll
02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Mohammed puts the Spurs in a better postion to win the title. Period.

exstatic
02-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Pop has a heart. According to the Malik clip, he met with Malik today. MANY players find out about trades from TV or at best, a phone call. Malik had nothing but love for Pop, the Spurs, and yes, even Peter Holt.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Mohammed puts the Spurs in a better postion to win the title. Period.

I don't know about that for sure. Mohammed hasn't proven much. A lot of players can put up decent numbers on a bad team. But Mohammed being here does help the Spurs financial future, so I understand the trade.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Because the Spurs are throwing in two first round draft picks. The other trade was Rose for Thomas straight up.That doesn't explain Mo's extra $20 million. No picks there. Remember last year's trade was nixed by bean-counters, not Zeke.
The Knicks would have still done this trade on draft day.How can that be predicted? What if they won the lottery or traded Nazr to some other team tonight?

Ginofan
02-25-2005, 12:07 AM
I was sad up until Malik had to take a second to wipe his tears when he was talking about his teammates...just lost it, and started crying! I can't say Malik has been a favorite of mine, i've ragged on the guy alot....but damn we are losing such a great person, citizen, family member.

I understand the reasons for the trade and I totally agree with it from a business stand point, but I just really did not realize how much Malik loved this city and team and its fans till I watched him tonight. It's very very very sad to see him go....and just a suggestion, do not watch the interview and MistiLynn's Malik tribute video right after one another...you'll be a mess!

timvp
The most classic part of this whole discussion is Peter Holt and company have Spurs fans so far under their thumb. Every Spurs fan is talking about how this is a great business move. Since when are fans in the business of making sure a billionaire owner profits $30M a year instead of $25M a year?

Holt, Pop and the media have this town on lock.

Congrats.

Spurs_rock05
guys i can't stop crying motherfuckers of pop and rc one deserves to be shot anfd the other hung why don't they care that malik is human? that we are human we gave them the best fans ever and the nthey do this shit what the fuck is the matter with pop and rc right now i have nothing but hate for the both :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

Spurminator
02-25-2005, 12:11 AM
The fact that Rose was traded midseason would lead me to believe that it WAS about more than money. Assuming, of course, that this deal could have been made in the offseason, which I don't think is a bulletproof assumption. But if it could have been, what is the monetary advantage of making the deal now rather than later?

Spurs_rock05
02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Because Thay Are Assholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
carring about one person or the other 15 players plus all the spurs fans

I think pop and rc are trying to do their best to win a title and treat everyone not just one player as human beings

ducks
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
if pop and rc suck at their job they get canned or traded to

PM5K
02-25-2005, 12:25 AM
The most classic part of this whole discussion is Peter Holt and company have Spurs fans so far under their thumb. Every Spurs fan is talking about how this is a great business move. Since when are fans in the business of making sure a billionaire owner profits $30M a year instead of $25M a year?

Congrats.

They aren't saving that much money, they are creating cap flexibility, there is a huge difference between that and what you are saying.

Don't be mistaken, they will spend that money but now they have more choice as to how and when they will spend it...

xcoriate
02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I am sad to see Malik go, as pretty much everyone here is.

Good luck in the future Malik, maybe we can pick him up at the end of his contract for the vet min or something. The money was the issue here, not the player, not the relationship with pop. The spurs did this to save money IMO.

Malik was a character guy and I don't know if Nazr can replace him but I'm sure no one will ever forget the impact Malik made since donning that Spurs uni.

Fare well Malik.

timvp
02-25-2005, 12:32 AM
They aren't saving that much money, they are creating cap flexibility, there is a huge difference between that and what you are saying.

Don't be mistaken, they will spend that money but now they have more choice as to how and when they will spend it...

BS.

There is no cap flexibility. Don't speak on a subject that you don't know about.

Thanks.

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Muhammeds #13- MALIKS#31 now thats weird

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 12:35 AM
pop and rc one deserves to be shot anfd the other hung why don't they care that malik is human?

That is the most out of control thing I've ever heard.

Why did the Spurs make this deal now? Because they didn't feel that they could make it through the post-season with a 6'4" guy with "a big heart" and a 35 year old 6'10" guy playing on a broken leg as the primary backup bigs.

Villify them all you want for sending away Malik the person, but like picnroll says - this trade put the Spurs in much better position for the post-season, whether the homers want to admit it or not.

I suspect when Nazr posts his first double double with 5-6 blocks in tote maybe some of you might actually get the picture.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I suspect when Nazr posts his first double double with 5-6 blocks in tote

I doubt he will ever get a double-double with six blocks in one night as a Spur. He averages less than a block a game and his numbers have sucked across the board since January.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
His numbers went in the crapper when NY made the coaching change. For some reason Herb Williams felt the need to really jack with the front line playing time. One game he'd get 16 minutes, the next 42, and it wasn't based on anything other than how far Herb had his head up his ass.

Spurbanana
02-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Mohammed won't be wearing #13 here though. James Silas.

PM5K
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
BS.

There is no cap flexibility. Don't speak on a subject that you don't know about.

Thanks.

How isn't there, they used to have 27.3 over the next four years and now they have 5.5.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Well he's not guaranteed consistent minutes here either. Role players need to come to play no matter how many minutes they get. I think he might be a good addition, but expecting double-doubles regularly and games of five+ blocks is excessive.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 12:47 AM
Well technically it's not cap flexibility -- they're over the cap for the duration. If they are willing to spend the money earmarked for Malik on other players, that's a different story.

timvp
02-25-2005, 12:48 AM
How isn't there, they used to have 27.3 over the next four years and now they have 5.5.

The Spurs are over the cap for the next five years. This trade made no difference in that.

There is no cap flexibility until 2010. All it did was trim some long-term debts off the ledger.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Well the thing I think that will help Nazr is Pop basically has a set rotation for his main guys, and Nazr will be in a 3 man big man rotation with Tim and Rasho.

I think just knowing "hey, I'm going to get 25 a night" will help a guy like Nazr.

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 12:50 AM
One thing is perfectly obvious. Some of you got waaaaaayyyyy to emotionally attatched to Malik.

timvp
Well the thing I think that will help Nazr is Pop basically has a set rotation for his main guys, and Nazr will be in a 3 man big man rotation with Tim and Rasho.

I think just knowing "hey, I'm going to get 25 a night" will help a guy like Nazr.

Sheyittt, Nazr has started every game this season. You can't be much more "in the rotation" than that.

Don't tell me you want to coddle him even before his plane touches down in SA.

:shootme

conversekid
This insane.. crying for a millionare who gets paid to play basketball?????

The spurs traded a bloated contract of a 6'4 CENTER for an expiring contract of a 6'10 center and made room for Scola...

Malik was/is a great person.

The Spurs FO did what they felt was right to make the team better.

Move on.

PM5K
02-25-2005, 12:51 AM
I doubt he will ever get a double-double with six blocks in one night as a Spur. He averages less than a block a game and his numbers have sucked across the board since January.

He put up 20/15/4 early in the season so I don't see how it's impossible for him to do that here.

His minutes have been limited since the coaching change and he hasn't played as well, but his numbers haven't been horrible for only playing twenty minutes per, and when he puts up minutes similar to Rasho he puts up 12/8/1 and Rasho isn't exactly swatting everything that gets put up (1.5 BPG)....

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 12:52 AM
LJ, as a professed Rasho hata, I think you'd be chomping at the bit to see what Nazr can do.

PM5K
02-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Cap flexibility wasn't the right term, they clearly trimmed their payroll and provided more flexibility in the future by getting rid of that contract.

timvp
02-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm fine with this trade. It beats pretty much any other trade I've heard involving Malik. I'm just going to wait and see how Nazr plays as a Spur before giving my final verdict. The Spurs have been burned by former Knicks before.

http://www.milkeninstitute.org/presentations/photos/gc04_nba_players.jpg

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nba/2000/1226/photo/s_ward_i.jpg

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I'm fine with this trade. It beats pretty much any other trade I've heard involving Malik. I'm just going to wait and see how Nazr plays as a Spur before giving my final verdict.My sentiments exactly.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 12:59 AM
isnt this overkill drama for a player being traded? i mean, its not like he was the franchise or anything, he was a nice guy but do we really need to freak out that hes not going to be playin for the spurs anymore? i just think yall are taking this to the extreme. come on, hes not dead, hes just going to NY. relax.

timvp
02-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Cap flexibility wasn't the right term, they clearly trimmed their payroll and provided more flexibility in the future by getting rid of that contract.

If by "flexibility" you mean it saved Holt Cat a couple tractors, then yeah you are correct.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 01:02 AM
I wish people would stop judging other people's feelings. It's okay that some people are extremely upset about Malik leaving. It's okay to feel for Malik when he's crying on TV. Get off your high horses. If it was your favorite player, you'd be reacting as well.

Side note: It's not okay to say you want Pop/RC dead for making the deal.

indianspur
02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
I wish people would stop judging other people's feelings. It's okay that some people are extremely upset about Malik leaving. It's okay to feel for Malik when he's crying on TV. Get off your high horses. If it was your favorite player, you'd be reacting as well.

Side note: It's not okay to say you want Pop/RC dead for making the deal.

you seem to have taken this quite seriously....mentioned it in some other thread as well......
in all fairness....the guy was just over reacting ....didn't mean it literally...

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
As someone already mentioned, It's not as if he was the franchise or anything. But I guess y'all can go ahead and cry. Get it out of your system. Gather round' the chocolate and give hugs. I'll be looking ahead to the day that Nazr puts Rasho on the bench where he belongs.

indianspur
02-25-2005, 01:09 AM
nice avatar timvp

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 01:10 AM
in all fairness....the guy was just over reacting ....didn't mean it literally...

I don't care if he/she were overreacting. It's not something you say.

conversekid
02-25-2005, 01:11 AM
If by "flexibility" you mean it saved Holt Cat a couple tractors, then yeah you are correct.

how about flexibility in keeping devin and signing scola...

Sorry Kori... can feel bad for him. He didn't die; he wasn't thrown out to live on the streets... he is simply moving to a different city to play bball. It's not a high horse... it's just a reality check... cry for the people that are truely in a bad way.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 01:13 AM
how about flexibility in keeping devin and signing scola...

It didn't change that. They don't have any extra cap room. They have the MLE for Scola and the Early Bird's Rights for Devin -- same before and after the trade.

Spurgal
02-25-2005, 01:18 AM
I was so happy at the game last night, not knowing that It would be the last time I would see my Malik In Silver & Black. I have to say that this has been very painful for me, my family and Malik's family. Please try to be more sensitive In the comments you make about Malik during this very sad time In his life.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 01:21 AM
this is his job, he is doing his job. its like if myself or someone else got a transfer. hes not dead, and its not like he was the man or anything on the team. yea, hes a great guy, yea hes a good interview and shyt, but hes not the best or second best or third,4th,5th,etc. best player on the team. chill, hes leaving cuz he wasnt cuttin it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 01:23 AM
He got a 3 million dollar trade kicker parting gift from the Spurs, I think he'll live.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Oh btw,

I have to say that this has been very painful for me, my family

Please, now is not the time to patronize the board with your whacko stalking nonsense.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 01:26 AM
for real. how is this a sad day for your family? a guy that plays pro ball in your city gets traded and your family is sad? thats fucked up, really twisted if true. get in reality, he wouldnt be freaking out like this if you moved to a different city, he wouldnt go and be in mourning, so why are you?

MannyIsGod
02-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Some of you are some cold ass mothefuckers.

I'll freely admit that I was on the verge of tears when I heard Malik talk. What, when a man makes millions you stop feeling sympathy for him? I love the way Malik wore his emotions on his sleeve. I imagine he played the game the way he lived his life, and I hope that's true.

Oh, and those of you touting cap flexibility are really fucking stupid. Because most of you are new, and have not witnessed the capology that has taken root in this forum, I'd suggest you not try to tell very many forum vets what the cap situation is. They know it much better than you.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 01:29 AM
no manny, its not about cash.would malik care if you moved to new york? no. so why are you and the rest of the city going crazy over this?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Of course, if I had to hear her whine about it in real life, it'd probably be a sad day for me too.

Look, Malik's a great guy. There is no doubt in my mind that when his playing days are over, he'll be back here and retire in south Texas.

In the mean time, he's a career 7.4 PPG, 4.7 RPG guy getting paid $30 million over the next four years to play ball. I'm pretty sure he'll find a way to deal with it, and it's not like he won't be back over the summer and during breaks in play.

If anything I'd think the Rose lovers would be happy for him, he's obviously going to get a lot more PT up there than he was destined to get here.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh, and whoever suggested Tim wants to win as much as Malik is fucking stupid as well.

pooh
02-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Will the Spurs give Malik a ring should they win the title this year? Like the Red Sox did with Nomar?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 01:37 AM
tx,

I think you're being a little unreasonable about this. Now, certainly comments like Spursgal's restraining order inspired rant are disturbing, a lot of people have grown fond of Malik and hate to see him go.

I'm not sure how long you've been a Spurs fan, but Malik was one of those guys who cut his teeth on this team by busting his ass night in and night out, taking on usually much larger players from the other team and trading blows with them all night.

Myself, like most here, remember him doing battle with Shaq in '99 and helping our front line work the big guy over in the playoffs. That cemented his legacy for a lot of folks.

He also did a lot of work here in the community, which is something that is decidedly SA flavored in today's look at me pro sports world. The one thing I try to balance this with is the fact that everyone on the Spurs is that kind of a guy, and for me personally no one will ever approach the greatness in the community of #50.

Still, it's no secret Rose's game changed after he signed his new deal. I don't think that, like some others in pro sports, it was because he got lazy. It's more because I think the working man ideal in him came through that they were paying him a hell of a lot to play ball and he needed to deliver a hell of a lot in return, which simply wasn't the case.

But the mindset was set in Rose's head, and it has basically been a downward spiral since, with the catalysts for the continued decay being his contract and the frustrations of the Spurs front office.

That all said, all of the Spurs are basically like family to anyone who has lived in SA for a substantial part of their life, and just like with your family or my family whenever someone moves away/retires, there's going to be sadness involved.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 01:39 AM
ive lived in texas all my life. how does this affect anyone tho? its not like ur losing malik, the dude that chills with u on the weekends. ur losing a guy that plays(works) for ur hometown team, not ur pal.

AFE7FATMAN
02-25-2005, 01:41 AM
I must respectfully disagree. I think that Tim and Tony both burn as much for the win as Malik does.

Add MANU and I will agree

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 01:44 AM
I think if you are making a list of winning desire on the Spurs, Manu takes up spots 1, 2, and 3.

SequSpur
02-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Congrats.

? Bro, I gave up the full season tickets as soon as Rasho was signed. They don't have me under anything.

Also, if you all want to blame someone, blame Pop and Rasho. Malik was forced to makeup for what Rasho didn't have. BALLS.

Malik is not a center, he is not a power forward. He does not have the size to do it. He developed a jumpshot so he could finally play his true position, however he was still left guarding Yao Ming, Chris Webber, and Shaq. Nice philosophy. :rolleyes

In a scrappy do game, Malik was very effective, in a half court set, he was terrible. His decision making is below average for a player pulling that kind of cash.

This is why I will put the blame on Pop for Malik's performance on the court. Pop tries to mold to much. Malik is not a center.

Since the Spurs have the best record this year, as of now and they have 2 championships out of the 10 that could've been won, Pop's philosophies are untouchable.

So move on, this was a deal that had to be made, last year, this year, whenever...... it was inevitable...

To bad so sad...

Time to win a championship.

mouse
02-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Did Don remove the knife from his back also? :lmao

50 cent
02-25-2005, 02:32 AM
Some of you are some cold ass mothefuckers.

I'll freely admit that I was on the verge of tears when I heard Malik talk. What, when a man makes millions you stop feeling sympathy for him? I love the way Malik wore his emotions on his sleeve. I imagine he played the game the way he lived his life, and I hope that's true.

Oh, and those of you touting cap flexibility are really fucking stupid. Because most of you are new, and have not witnessed the capology that has taken root in this forum, I'd suggest you not try to tell very many forum vets what the cap situation is. They know it much better than you.

First time in history Manny and I agree.

50 cent
02-25-2005, 02:33 AM
BTW Manny, Baron Davis is really looking like a much better player than Tony these days huh? ;)

T Park
02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
The malik interview was quite sad.

I wish Malik all the best in New York.

myadiva
02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
That was the saddest thing I've seen in a long, long time.

Sorry Malik. :(

New York is definitely getting a champion with lots of heart. Our heart has been broken. Not many people were left with a dry eye. I still have tears.

mattyc
02-25-2005, 04:34 AM
I am sad to see Malik go, as pretty much everyone here is.

Good luck in the future Malik, maybe we can pick him up at the end of his contract for the vet min or something. The money was the issue here, not the player, not the relationship with pop. The spurs did this to save money IMO.

Malik was a character guy and I don't know if Nazr can replace him but I'm sure no one will ever forget the impact Malik made since donning that Spurs uni.

Fare well Malik.
Top post.

And you never know, Moochie has gone back to Houston; Toine to Boston... these things happen.

3rdCoast
02-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Wow, All This Talk For A Lousy Player. I Wonder What Happens If The Spurs Would Have Traded Someone Who Was Actually Good? Just Imagine The Uproar Then....

TheWriter
02-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Wow, All This Talk For A Lousy Player. I Wonder What Happens If The Spurs Would Have Traded Someone Who Was Actually Good? Just Imagine The Uproar Then....

Maybe we should trade your brain for well... a real brain.

That plastic ding dong your parents stuffed in there isn't cutting it anymore.