PDA

View Full Version : Why Mason can't take more shots?

Josepatches_
01-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Or why Finley or Hill can't? They were shooting well in the beginning of the season.
I said that because I don't know why Manu or TP have to take a big number of shots even when they suck.This year we have more talent in the backcourt.

Parker was 15/42 Fg last 3 games.35%.I don't know why he is taking 14 shots per game when he is clearly off.Same for Manu.He tries a lot force shots.We have more talent in the backcourt this year and they have to learn it.Maybe Pop too.
An I can't understand why Hill doesn't play more minutes when Parker is cold like tonight.He is not going to play when Parker is as great as he usually is so why don't give him more minutes when Parker has a bad night? He is ready enough to play more or at least he seemed to be ready in November.
Certainly Pop has his reasons and he knows this game infinitely better than me

m33p0
01-24-2009, 12:30 AM
answer: there's only one ball to go around. and when you have 3 all-stars on your team capable of winning ballgames on their own + 3 hotshot roleplayers, shots will be at a premium.

rayray2k8
01-24-2009, 12:31 AM
umm Finley made a big shot at the end.. When we REALLY needed it.. Nets played good D..

Chris
01-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Teams are also gameplanning for him now so he's getting more respect. As long as we are winning games like we have been I see no problems with his shot selection.

Solid D
01-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Parker and Ginobili are shooting with a higher FG% than Mason and Finley and Parker and Ginobili are playmakers who can get to the FT line with more regularity. Mason has decent handle but is better as a catch and shoot guy. Finley is one of the worst ball-handlers in the NBA.

Shots per game__FG%:
Parker 16.6 ____.498
Duncan 15.4____.514
Ginobili 11.0____.463
Mason 9.7_____.445
Finley 8.8______.432

pawe
01-24-2009, 01:09 AM
He's saving it for the playoffs.

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Mason > Ginobili
Mason > Finley
Mason > Udoka
Mason > Bowen

RM JR!!!!!

HE fuckin rocks.. Dude is so crunch time, the shit isn't even funny.

Behrooz24
01-24-2009, 01:13 AM
I wish Pop would run some Rip Hamilton plays for Mason. Mason seems capable of moving off screens and making those shots. It would give us something especially when there are lulls on offense.

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I wish Pop would run some Rip Hamilton plays for Mason. Mason seems capable of moving off screens and making those shots. It would give us something especially when there are lulls on offense.

Pop, Whottt and Solid D are still living in the 2004 Olympics. Manu is overrated and a waste of time and money. Time to move on.

I agree. Mason and "Others" are capable of alot of shit but alot of you and Popadipshit are waiting for some kind've of "vintage" ginobili to surface after he takes a dip in the fountain of youth.

Whatever...

Solid D
01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Mason is finally giving the Spurs something similar to what they had with Jack. He's just as clutch, although not quite the slasher that Stephen is.

Solid D
01-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Pop, Whottt and Solid D are still living in the 2004 Olympics. Manu is overrated and a waste of time and money. Time to move on.

I agree. Mason and "Others" are capable of alot of shit but alot of you and Popadipshit are waiting for some kind've of "vintage" ginobili to surface after he takes a dip in the fountain of youth.

Whatever...

Where were these comments from you 1 game earlier?

timaios
01-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Whatever...

Player Efficiency Rating - Shooting Guard

1 Dwyane Wade, MIA 28.65
2 Kobe Bryant, LAL 24.37
3 Brandon Roy, POR 23.85
4 Manu Ginobili, SAS 22.55
5 Vince Carter, NJN 20.60

And that with a not 100% Manu.
Manu will be better and better the next 3 months.
He will be a beast in the playoffs. :ihit

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Player Efficiency Rating - Shooting Guard

1 Dwyane Wade, MIA 28.65
2 Kobe Bryant, LAL 24.37
3 Brandon Roy, POR 23.85
4 Manu Ginobili, SAS 22.55
5 Vince Carter, NJN 20.60

And that with a not 100% Manu.
Manu will be better and better the next 3 months.
He will be a beast in the playoffs. :ihit

yawn....

watch the fukin game and put down your newspaper.

timaios
01-24-2009, 01:46 AM
yawn....

You are a lost cause ! :rolleyes

Solid D
01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
yawn....

watch the ***** game and put down your newspaper.

How many shots did you make at the Pop-A-Shot in the Kids Zone during the game tonight?

scanry
01-24-2009, 01:58 AM
yawn....

Hey short one, enough with the apple martini's

http://www.manhattanskc.com/images/clipart/apple_martini2.jpg

and why not try a man's drink for once

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2466160969_d9b689f2df.jpg?v=0

baseline bum
01-24-2009, 02:42 AM
This is the real man's drink:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/2293249909_b2a321969b.jpg

Austin_Toros
01-24-2009, 04:28 AM

Whatever...

what the fudge brah???

mrspurs
01-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Without even looking at the boxscore, I saw alot of team ball out there on the offensive end. Last time I looked up, other then TD, everyone had right around 7-8points each. I enjoyed the Harris/TP match up. And the almost TD/Lopez matchup. When Timmy hits the bench Pop calls for offense. So it seems anyone who had an open shot had the OK.

timvp
01-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Or why Finley or Hill can't? They were shooting well in the beginning of the season.Finley and Hill actually started the season pretty frigid from the field.

I said that because I don't know why Manu or TP have to take a big number of shots even when they suck.This year we have more talent in the backcourt.It's funny when Spurs fans try to reverse calculate the box score. When Manu or TP take shots, they don't know ahead of time that they are going to have an off shooting game.

And besides, how do you expect either Manu or TP to break out of a slump if they aren't shooting? Unless you institute a rule that neither of them can shoot anymore in a game if they miss three shots in a row, this type of logic doesn't work in basketball.

Parker was 15/42 Fg last 3 games.35%.I don't know why he is taking 14 shots per game when he is clearly off.Same for Manu.He tries a lot force shots.We have more talent in the backcourt this year and they have to learn it.As talented as the backcourt is, Manu and TP are still far and away the most talented guards on the team. It isn't even close.

It's basically up to Hill to create his own shots. He scores most of his points due to his own aggressiveness. Mason and Finley are jumpshooters who need open room. How does that open room come about? When *gasp* the star players draw the attention of the other team.

Maybe Pop too.
An I can't understand why Hill doesn't play more minutes when Parker is cold like tonight.He is not going to play when Parker is as great as he usually is so why don't give him more minutes when Parker has a bad night?At what point did you want Parker to sit? Didn't play well in the first half but he's going to start the second half. And then he was the best player on the court in the third. Did you want Pop not to play him in the fourth?

Certainly Pop has his reasons and he knows this game infinitely better than meI'm not sure if you are watching the games or just looking at the boxscore afterwards but if you are just looking at the boxscore, that probably isn't helping your perspective. In the flow of the game and before the final stats are tallied, it's more difficult to second guess.

Generally speaking, there are times that it makes sense to bench Parker during the regular season -- and we've seen Pop do that. Although tonight against the Nets wasn't one of those times. Harris was lighting up Hill (IIRC, 9 points in about four minutes on him) and the time Parker would have been benched was following his best stretch of the night.

But I wouldn't agree with ever benching Manu. How many times have we seen Manu do nothing for the first 45 minutes and then win the game in the final three minutes? And yeah, call me strange but I don't care if Manu is taking shots away from Finley, Mason or Hill. I kinda like the future Hall of Famers on the Spurs deciding the outcomes . . .

ManuTP9
01-24-2009, 10:20 AM
yawn....

haha!:lol

kace
01-24-2009, 11:29 AM
It's funny when Spurs fans try to reverse calculate the box score. When Manu or TP take shots, they don't know ahead of time that they are going to have an off shooting game.

And besides, how do you expect either Manu or TP to break out of a slump if they aren't shooting? Unless you institute a rule that neither of them can shoot anymore in a game if they miss three shots in a row, this type of logic doesn't work in basketball.

As talented as the backcourt is, Manu and TP are still far and away the most talented guards on the team. It isn't even close.

It's basically up to Hill to create his own shots. He scores most of his points due to his own aggressiveness. Mason and Finley are jumpshooters who need open room. How does that open room come about? When *gasp* the star players draw the attention of the other team.

At what point did you want Parker to sit? Didn't play well in the first half but he's going to start the second half. And then he was the best player on the court in the third. Did you want Pop not to play him in the fourth?

totally agree. it's amazing that someone has to explain a so easy thing to understand. some fans are just dumb.

and i will laugh when the same people will be sucking manu's and tony's balls to carry the offense in PO, where it's clear that tony and manu don't belong to the same category as Hill, Maso, or finley.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 11:46 AM
An I can't understand why Hill doesn't play more minutes when Parker is cold like tonight.He is not going to play when Parker is as great as he usually is so why don't give him more minutes when Parker has a bad night?

Maybe because it's probably not a good idea to kill a player's confidence by benching him whenever he has a bad shooting night. But great idea, I'm sure Popovich wants Parker to think, "O crap I might get bench if I miss this" every time he takes a shot.

SAhoops
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Mason > Ginobili
Mason > Finley
Mason > Udoka
Mason > Bowen

RM JR!!!!!

HE fuckin rocks.. Dude is so crunch time, the shit isn't even funny.

Mason is a great shooter with absolutely zero drive capability, no way is he even close to the player Manu is.

loveforthegame
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Shots per game__FG%:
Parker 16.6 ____.498
Duncan 15.4____.514
Ginobili 11.0____.463
Mason 9.7_____.445
Finley 8.8______.432

Thanks for those numbers.

Not much difference in Mason and Finley's fg%. With all the bad mouthing about Finley shooting poorly and taking shots away from Mason you would think he was shooting lights out.

Solid D
01-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Pop, Whottt and Solid D are still living in the 2004 Olympics. Manu is overrated and a waste of time and money. Time to move on...

Here is a quote from Sequ earlier this year, when he actually watched the game and sat close to the action. :lmao

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2927730&postcount=39

Dude, I sat 4th row courtside kind've caddy corner to Vinny Del Whino.

Man.. ****** George Hill is bad ass. So is Ginobili... Also, really like Ben Gordon. Dude is a wizard...

It's weird watching a game that close, totally different experience...

George Hill is Real.

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Parker and Ginobili are shooting with a higher FG% than Mason and Finley and Parker and Ginobili are playmakers who can get to the FT line with more regularity. Mason has decent handle but is better as a catch and shoot guy. Finley is one of the worst ball-handlers in the NBA.

Shots per game__FG%:
Parker 16.6 ____.498
Duncan 15.4____.514
Ginobili 11.0____.463
Mason 9.7_____.445
Finley 8.8______.432

You make absolutely no sense. Finley is not a ball handler. So why bring it up? Do you watch the games or read stats? Finley is fukin nails when needed. Time and time again dude has hit clutch shots. Where the fuk are you?

Also, Ginobili is a great shooter but he can't handle the ball either. Did u watch the game last night? Probably not, because you had your calculator out with your nbastats.com site in full view trying to figure out something that doesn't matter.

Mason brings the ball up just fine. He also doesn't make mistake such as turnobili. And dude has won 5 games this year by himself. He also was the key reason the spurs didn't go into tank mode when ginobili and parker were out.

Also Finley was there also.

I am so sick and tired of the fucking homerism here. This is not 2007 anymore. It's time to move the fuck on. And please don't go get some +/- stats that try to sway my opinion. I tune into the game, watch it with my own eyes and formulate an opinion. The only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

Ginobili turned the ball over at least 10 times yesterday and got credit for probably 4. Mason, Finley, and Parker were Solid. Solid D as a matter of fact.

SMB.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Mason brings the ball up just fine. He also doesn't make mistake such as turnobili. And dude has won 5 games this year by himself. He also was the key reason the spurs didn't go into tank mode when ginobili and parker were out.

if he was the key reason then what was Duncan?

Solid D
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
You make absolutely no sense. Finley is not a ball handler. So why bring it up? Do you watch the games or read stats? Finley is fukin nails when needed. Time and time again dude has hit clutch shots. Where the fuk are you?

Also, Ginobili is a great shooter but he can't handle the ball either. Did u watch the game last night? Probably not, because you had your calculator out with your nbastats.com site in full view trying to figure out something that doesn't matter.

Self-indictment.

The OP was asking why Mason and Finley can't take more shots, and why Parker and Ginobili have to take so many, even when they aren't playing well.

I simply pointed out that 1) Parker and Ginobili shoot for a higher percentage than Mason & Finley and 2) Parker and Ginobili are better at getting to the FT line, which was actually key for the Spurs last night. The first half was when the stats were fairly even, except the Spurs only had 4 FT attempts. The Nets were ahead by basically FTs at the half. Mason and Finley aren't creators like Parker and Gino have been. Besides, I showed the # of shots per game revealing that Gino only takes 1 or 2 shots per game more than Mason and Fin respectively. timvp just goes ahead and says what most already know, and so that you can understand....Parker and Ginobili are just better players.

You seem to have gone back to watching games from the Pop-a-shot area near the concessions. Give yourself a chance and don't just wait for 4th row seats to get into the action.

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Ginobili was a better player.