PDA

View Full Version : Note to Spurs Fans: Don't get down on your team just yet.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
We may not be playing at an elite level right now. However, take some solace in the fact that:

1) We have yet to play any real defense! (and contrary to every "Lets trade for Oden/Sheed/Kaman/David Lee/[insert random big with a pulse here]" thread, it's our perimeter D that stinks. Too many bad/lazy rotations.) The good news?

2) These problems can and will be fixed! We have a world class coach at the helm, who we already know doesn't pull any punches and demands accountability from everyone on the team. Pop will demand that this team start getting it's defensive act together sooner rather than later.

3) If we are playing Spurs Team D (even with our challenged front court), we will be at an elite level. Don't forget, the Lakers (best team in the West) are 1-1 with us for the season, and they have yet to face our best defensive effort.

:flag:

MoSpur
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I have not given up or I am not too worried about this team yet. As you mentioned, their defense isn't where it should be and I hold out hope it will get there. However, I do think they need to get a better center into the rotation and another guard like Malik Hairston to come in at times to help spell those offensive struggles they have frrom time to time.

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
no i think its to just give up

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I have not given up or I am not too worried about this team yet. As you mentioned, their defense isn't where it should be and I hold out hope it will get there. However, I do think they need to get a better center into the rotation and another guard like Malik Hairston to come in at times to help spell those offensive struggles they have frrom time to time.

I would love to see Hairston on this team. I would have to wonder if he could contribute on the defensive end right away though, which is where we struggling the most...

ClingingMars
01-26-2009, 02:50 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/lostintemp/Graficos/get_the_fuck_out.jpg

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/lostintemp/Graficos/get_the_fuck_out.jpg

AWWW DOES IT HURT!!!!

http://www.thereheis.com/nucleus3.22/media/gallery/20070919-cutetoughlittletroopers-cat.jpg

ClingingMars
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
AWWW DOES IT HURT!!!!

http://www.thereheis.com/nucleus3.22/media/gallery/20070919-cutetoughlittletroopers-cat.jpg

http://geekofalltrades.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/fag.jpg

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 03:04 PM

You mean like the Laker's did in last year's finals?:lol

Lot of good it did you guys to beat the Spurs with one of the big three out...just to get humiliated in the Finals.

Let's see...
Duncan: 4 rings and undefeated in the finals.
:lobt2:
Kobe: 3 rings and never won it without Shaq. This year will be more of the same!
:cry

beachwood
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
We may not be playing at an elite level right now. However, take some solace in the fact that:

1) We have yet to play any real defense! (and contrary to every "Lets trade for Oden/Sheed/Kaman/David Lee/[insert random big with a pulse here]" thread, it's our perimeter D that stinks. Too many bad/lazy rotations.) The good news?

Can we play defense... that's the question.

2) These problems can and will be fixed! We have a world class coach at the helm, who we already know doesn't pull any punches and demands accountability from everyone on the team. Pop will demand that this team start getting it's defensive act together sooner rather than later.

We have the coach, but outside of the big 3, do we have players who can play defense?

3) If we are playing Spurs Team D (even with our challenged front court), we will be at an elite level. Don't forget, the Lakers (best team in the West) are 1-1 with us for the season, and they have yet to face our best defensive effort.

And if we hit our 3's yesterday we would've won, but we didn't.... and we aren't playing good D. Which means we're going to continue to lose against the elite teams.

:flag:

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
I would love to see Hairston on this team. I would have to wonder if he could contribute on the defensive end right away though, which is where we struggling the most...

From watching yesterday, the Spurs are still getting outquicked and outhustled on the perimeter. Failure to rotate defensively and slow to close out on shooters is also an issue. On the offensive side, having a player that can routinely slash to the basket and create offense is also at a premium.

Having said that, I would love to see what Hariston can do too. However knowing Pop, I wouldn't count on seeing him until next year. I believe he'll ride with what he's got at that slot.

tp2021
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Next year, we could have Gist, Hairston, and Mahinmi on the team. After that, we don't know how free agency will turn out for the Spurs. Does it seem like next year will be all about "winning now"?

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Next year, we could have Gist, Hairston, and Mahinmi on the team. After that, we don't know how free agency will turn out for the Spurs. Does it seem like next year will be all about "winning now"?

I'm stoked at the possibilities for next year's roster too. However for now, the focus should be trying to win now. Which means improving their play and perhaps upgrading one roster position, such that they will be in a better position to oust the Fakers in a 7-game series. With the roster as currently constructed, I'm not confident they can do that.

Duncan2177
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
What Pop needs to do is move Duncan to the 5 and put thomas at the 4, I like Bonner but he is not a good defensive player.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm stoked at the possibilities for next year's roster too. However for now, the focus should be trying to win now. Which means improving their play and perhaps upgrading one roster position, such that they will be in a better position to oust the Fakers in a 7-game series. With the roster as currently constructed, I'm not confident they can do that.

We have tons of upside on the defensive end, and I think that is the way we will eventually close the gap with the elite teams. It's the way we have always done it; why should this year be any different?

NRHector
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I will only give up on this team if they move to another city :flag:

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
we have yet to play any "grind it out" "ugly" basketball.

I think Pop has been trying to bring our new guys along, to bring the offense we lacked last year but the D has seen noticable decline as a result. I was Mason's #1 fan, and still am, but I have to say I didn't see the new additions causing this much problems with our defensive play. I can't say for sure its the new guys cause it seems as though everyone has had a hand in this decline. But It will definitely be good to see the guys shore up their effort.

MoSpur
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Transition defense has been a big issue with this year's squad. I think some of that has to do with our older legs. Its not secret that the Spurs need to get a few younger legs on this team to help out on the perimeter and on getting back on defense when the other team is running.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
we have yet to play any "grind it out" "ugly" basketball.
I think Pop has been trying to bring our new guys along, to bring the offense we lacked last year but the D has seen noticable decline as a result. I was Mason's #1 fan, and still am, but I have to say I didn't see the new additions causing this much problems with our defensive play. I can't say for sure its the new guys cause it seems as though everyone has had a hand in this decline. But It will definitely be good to see the guys shore up their effort.

I'm with you. I'll take an ugly win any freakin' day of the week. I'd love to see the Spurs grind out those kind of wins again.

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
it seems like Pop is really concerned about the "offensive droughts" that we had last year, which is why he's put more of an emphasis on offense this year..he can preach defense all he wants, but it's tough to play good D when Bonner and Finley are in the starting lineupm while Bowen is on the bench..

the fact that Bowen is always the first guy to go to the bench when we show signs of a drought is an indication..

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I gotta believe that Pop is going to get the D back on track. And if that takes sitting some of our starters (Bonner, Fin) I gotta believe he'll do that too.

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM

http://www.toonjokes.com/data/media/9/30.jpg

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
You mean like the Laker's did in last year's finals?:lol

Lot of good it did you guys to beat the Spurs with one of the big three out...just to get humiliated in the Finals.

Let's see...
Duncan: 4 rings and undefeated in the finals.
:lobt2:
Kobe: 3 rings and never won it without Shaq. This year will be more of the same!
:cry

hmmm...

no more like the spurs in last night game....

hmm lets see... the lakers on 2 occasions with shaq and without shaq foiled your attempts at repeating...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
it seems like Pop is really concerned about the "offensive droughts" that we had last year, which is why he's put more of an emphasis on offense this year..he can preach defense all he wants, but it's tough to play good D when Bonner and Finley are in the starting lineupm while Bowen is on the bench..

the fact that Bowen is always the first guy to go to the bench when we show signs of a drought is an indication..

As much as Pop is fearing the offensive droughts they are still happening. Frankly, I don't find the offense to be that much better this year than last. This team still chokes on wide open shots and their O is still gonna be a question mark come playoff time.

Obviously, if the defense can hold the other team to 40% then we can get away with that, but this team is in a huge need of a trade.

The sad thing is that hardly any servicable big is available although who knows what CIA Pop will come up with.

The starting lineup should be Oberto/Duncan/Bowen/Mason/Parker.

4 out of those 5 guys know the defensive rotations well enough to make up for any O they might've lost with the current starting lineup. Having Bonner come off the bench puts a little less pressure on him to contribute since he is no longer a starter. Finley's minutes drastically need to be cut and Manu is fine coming off the bench.

We're only 25 days away from the trade deadline. And this time, with how much the level of the competition has been upped I don't think a "this is the team we have, and we're sticking with it" speech will work this time around.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
hmmm...

no more like the spurs in last night game....

hmm lets see... the lakers on 2 occasions with shaq and without shaq foiled your attempts at repeating...

And we are still the team of the last decade!!:king

MoSpur
01-26-2009, 04:07 PM
We're a jump shooting team way too many times against good teams with a good inside presence

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
As much as Pop is fearing the offensive droughts they are still happening. Frankly, I don't find the offense to be that much better this year than last. This team still chokes on wide open shots and their O is still gonna be a question mark come playoff time.

Obviously, if the defense can hold the other team to 40% then we can get away with that, but this team is in a huge need of a trade.

The sad thing is that hardly any servicable big is available although who knows what CIA Pop will come up with.

The starting lineup should be Oberto/Duncan/Bowen/Mason/Parker.

4 out of those 5 guys know the defensive rotations well enough to make up for any O they might've lost with the current starting lineup. Having Bonner come off the bench puts a little less pressure on him to contribute since he is no longer a starter. Finley's minutes drastically need to be cut and Manu is fine coming off the bench.

We're only 25 days away from the trade deadline. And this time, with how much the level of the competition has been upped I don't think a "this is the team we have, and we're sticking with it" speech will work this time around.

Yup, thats the starting five I'm hoping for. I never thought I would be glad to see Oberto start, but we nee some guys in here that know what the hell is going on.

Still, if we start playing some D we're automatically a contender, even with the current roster IMO.

Lakers_55
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I read a story, in print, probably in 2005 or 2006 about Parker. Essentially it told the story that Red Auerbach had scouted TP and planned for him to be a Celtic, but changed his mind near the end. Not certain if the story is here at Spurs Talk, or what magazine I saw it in, but it wasn't a best seller.

I hate to make a new thread about it if the story can't be found, but I would enjoy reading it again. Thanks.

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
And we are still the team of the last decade!!:king

decade is not done yet

duncan228
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I read a story, in print, probably in 2005 or 2006 about Parker. Essentially it told the story that Red Auerbach had scouted TP and planned for him to be a Celtic, but changed his mind near the end. Not certain if the story is here at Spurs Talk, or what magazine I saw it in, but it wasn't a best seller.

I hate to make a new thread about it if the story can't be found, but I would enjoy reading it again. Thanks.

Found this so far, not sure if it's what you're looking for. It says the article was originally published in March 2002.

ESPN, Bill Simmons
Seeing Red after all these years (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020322)

When Pitino bolted last winter, the Celtics quickly restored Red's presidency and graciously sought his input on trades and draft picks. During last year's draft, the Celtics held three first-rounders, including the No. 21 selection. Red was enamored with Joe Forte, North Carolina's All-American and a Washington product, while the rest of the Celtics hierarchy leaned toward French point guard Tony Parker (now starting for the Spurs). In the end, they passed on the talented Parker and drafted Forte -- another shooting guard on a team filled with them -- simply to throw Red a bone.

duncan228
01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
From the Boston Globe, October 2006

Passing of a Celtics legend (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/28/passing_of_a_celtics_legend/)

Auerbach still had a presence and a voice, although somewhat muted, in personnel matters in the new millennium. It was Auerbach who advocated successfully for the drafting of Joseph Forte in 2001 over the likes of Tony Parker, Jamaal Tinsley and Gilbert Arenas.

FreeMason
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
They simply do not have the pieces to play "Spurs D" anymore.

The Spurs are just a jump shooting team with only one worth a damn big.

That may have worked in the past, but in case some didn't notice...the league is about 10x more competitive than 05, 07.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
They simply do not have the pieces to play "Spurs D" anymore..

I have not seen anything to indicate this, on the contrary I have seen the team play Spurs D, just not for consistent stretches. But the fact that they can do it at all tells me they will ultimately be able to shore up the D.

As for the league being so much more competitive, I think it just appears that way because their are no great defensive teams making it hard for the top tier teams at the moment.

Lakers_55
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Found this so far, not sure if it's what you're looking for. It says the article was originally published in March 2002.

ESPN, Bill Simmons
Seeing Red after all these years (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020322)

Actually, although I may have seen this before, I am pretty certain the article was mainly about Parker, and ran a few pages. The magazine was in the lunch room at work, it could still be there. Or, at the least, I can find another issue and get the magzine title. Thanks for looking! If anyone can find it, you can. :)

Manufan909
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Actually, although I may have seen this before, I am pretty certain the article was mainly about Parker, and ran a few pages. The magazine was in the lunch room at work, it could still be there. Or, at the least, I can find another issue and get the magzine title. Thanks for looking! If anyone can find it, you can. :)

Not related at all, but I give you props for cancelling out lakuluva AND DrHouse.:toast

Yorae
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Spurs is the most resourceful team in the league. And we don't know shit if they're just trying to stay healthy, they will bring mahinmi etc. etc. I'm a fan of this team and I would continue to believe in it. As long as duncan and pop draws breath, there's still a chance.

Spur-Addict
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
We have tons of upside on the defensive end, and I think that is the way we will eventually close the gap with the elite teams. It's the way we have always done it; why should this year be any different?

Everyone keeps referring to, "Spurs D, Spurs D". That is fine because we are known for it. But lets take a little look at the D. Against L.A, the interior is being exposed. Kurt nor Bonner have been doing good jobs. They're trying, they are simply out matched.

Sure we've seen a few missed rotations. But come on, most of the damage is due to the interior mis matches to begin with. Not to mention we have some older perimeter players who are slower at rotating. So, to ease all of this just upgrade the inside.

In my opinion, if we have to move Mason, then just do it. I think we keep Kurt, Bruce, Hill, and Bonner. Fin has to stay by default. Then there are the big three. Everyone else is up for trade aside from Malik, Ian, and Gist(rights).

If a big deal is made about Fab, then whatever, move Kurt. But we'd have trouble with Shaq if they make the playoffs.

iggypop123
01-27-2009, 12:13 AM

http://userimage.gamespot.com/images/profile/9/7/20887899186444002074661511637079/sig_image.jpg

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
They simply do not have the pieces to play "Spurs D" anymore.

The Spurs are just a jump shooting team with only one worth a damn big.

That may have worked in the past, but in case some didn't notice...the league is about 10x more competitive than 05, 07.

Yup

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
I have not seen anything to indicate this, on the contrary I have seen the team play Spurs D, just not for consistent stretches. But the fact that they can do it at all tells me they will ultimately be able to shore up the D.

As for the league being so much more competitive, I think it just appears that way because their are no great defensive teams making it hard for the top tier teams at the moment.

:lol There are alot of good defensive teams out there. There are alot of good offensive teams out there.

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Our D was only a problem for 5 min on Sun. What Killed us was our O! Thats why Im not too worried about it. Manu Mason and Bonner shot a combined 2-15 from 3pt range on wide open looks! If they even shot a normal % say 33% its a 5pt game, if they shot thier avg % we lead.

Lets not forget they also took 14 more free throws as David Stern stroked his cock and repeated to himself ....these games arent fix, our refs call fair games......

Spurs need to make some adjustments but not major ones yet. I just wonder if they are gonna make a move or just stand pat and hope we can get hot from behind the arc in the playoffs.

Your a sick person. This is a sports site. And you need help. Say hello to my ignore list. By far your the most deserving. Whats wrong with you?