Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We may not be playing at an elite level right now. However, take some solace in the fact that:

1) We have yet to play any real defense! (and contrary to every "Lets trade for Oden/Sheed/Kaman/David Lee/[insert random big with a pulse here]" thread, it's our perimeter D that stinks. Too many bad/lazy rotations.) The good news?

2) These problems can and will be fixed! We have a world class coach at the helm, who we already know doesn't pull any punches and demands accountability from everyone on the team. Pop will demand that this team start getting it's defensive act together sooner rather than later.

3) If we are playing Spurs Team D (even with our challenged front court), we will be at an elite level. Don't forget, the Lakers (best team in the West) are 1-1 with us for the season, and they have yet to face our best defensive effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not given up or I am not too worried about this team yet. As you mentioned, their defense isn't where it should be and I hold out hope it will get there. However, I do think they need to get a better center into the rotation and another guard like Malik Hairston to come in at times to help spell those offensive struggles they have frrom time to time.

The Lakers
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    no i think its to just give up

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not given up or I am not too worried about this team yet. As you mentioned, their defense isn't where it should be and I hold out hope it will get there. However, I do think they need to get a better center into the rotation and another guard like Malik Hairston to come in at times to help spell those offensive struggles they have frrom time to time.
    I would love to see Hairston on this team. I would have to wonder if he could contribute on the defensive end right away though, which is where we struggling the most...

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Lakers
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    AWWW DOES IT HURT!!!!

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AWWW DOES IT HURT!!!!

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean like the Laker's did in last year's finals?

Lot of good it did you guys to beat the Spurs with one of the big three out...just to get humiliated in the Finals.

Let's see...
    Duncan: 4 rings and undefeated in the finals.

Kobe: 3 rings and never won it without Shaq. This year will be more of the same!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We may not be playing at an elite level right now. However, take some solace in the fact that:

1) We have yet to play any real defense! (and contrary to every "Lets trade for Oden/Sheed/Kaman/David Lee/[insert random big with a pulse here]" thread, it's our perimeter D that stinks. Too many bad/lazy rotations.) The good news?

Can we play defense... that's the question.

2) These problems can and will be fixed! We have a world class coach at the helm, who we already know doesn't pull any punches and demands accountability from everyone on the team. Pop will demand that this team start getting it's defensive act together sooner rather than later.

We have the coach, but outside of the big 3, do we have players who can play defense?

3) If we are playing Spurs Team D (even with our challenged front court), we will be at an elite level. Don't forget, the Lakers (best team in the West) are 1-1 with us for the season, and they have yet to face our best defensive effort.

And if we hit our 3's yesterday we would've won, but we didn't.... and we aren't playing good D. Which means we're going to continue to lose against the elite teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see Hairston on this team. I would have to wonder if he could contribute on the defensive end right away though, which is where we struggling the most...
    From watching yesterday, the Spurs are still getting outquicked and outhustled on the perimeter. Failure to rotate defensively and slow to close out on shooters is also an issue. On the offensive side, having a player that can routinely slash to the basket and create offense is also at a premium.

Having said that, I would love to see what Hariston can do too. However knowing Pop, I wouldn't count on seeing him until next year. I believe he'll ride with what he's got at that slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year, we could have Gist, Hairston, and Mahinmi on the team. After that, we don't know how free agency will turn out for the Spurs. Does it seem like next year will be all about "winning now"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year, we could have Gist, Hairston, and Mahinmi on the team. After that, we don't know how free agency will turn out for the Spurs. Does it seem like next year will be all about "winning now"?
    I'm stoked at the possibilities for next year's roster too. However for now, the focus should be trying to win now. Which means improving their play and perhaps upgrading one roster position, such that they will be in a better position to oust the Fakers in a 7-game series. With the roster as currently constructed, I'm not confident they can do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Pop needs to do is move Duncan to the 5 and put thomas at the 4, I like Bonner but he is not a good defensive player.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm stoked at the possibilities for next year's roster too. However for now, the focus should be trying to win now. Which means improving their play and perhaps upgrading one roster position, such that they will be in a better position to oust the Fakers in a 7-game series. With the roster as currently constructed, I'm not confident they can do that.
    We have tons of upside on the defensive end, and I think that is the way we will eventually close the gap with the elite teams. It's the way we have always done it; why should this year be any different?

boring is a quality
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will only give up on this team if they move to another city

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have yet to play any "grind it out" "ugly" basketball.

I think Pop has been trying to bring our new guys along, to bring the offense we lacked last year but the D has seen noticable decline as a result. I was Mason's #1 fan, and still am, but I have to say I didn't see the new additions causing this much problems with our defensive play. I can't say for sure its the new guys cause it seems as though everyone has had a hand in this decline. But It will definitely be good to see the guys shore up their effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Transition defense has been a big issue with this year's squad. I think some of that has to do with our older legs. Its not secret that the Spurs need to get a few younger legs on this team to help out on the perimeter and on getting back on defense when the other team is running.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have yet to play any "grind it out" "ugly" basketball.
    I think Pop has been trying to bring our new guys along, to bring the offense we lacked last year but the D has seen noticable decline as a result. I was Mason's #1 fan, and still am, but I have to say I didn't see the new additions causing this much problems with our defensive play. I can't say for sure its the new guys cause it seems as though everyone has had a hand in this decline. But It will definitely be good to see the guys shore up their effort.
    I'm with you. I'll take an ugly win any freakin' day of the week. I'd love to see the Spurs grind out those kind of wins again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it seems like Pop is really concerned about the "offensive droughts" that we had last year, which is why he's put more of an emphasis on offense this year..he can preach defense all he wants, but it's tough to play good D when Bonner and Finley are in the starting lineupm while Bowen is on the bench..

the fact that Bowen is always the first guy to go to the bench when we show signs of a drought is an indication..

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gotta believe that Pop is going to get the D back on track. And if that takes sitting some of our starters (Bonner, Fin) I gotta believe he'll do that too.

The Lakers
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

The Lakers
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You mean like the Laker's did in last year's finals?

Lot of good it did you guys to beat the Spurs with one of the big three out...just to get humiliated in the Finals.

Let's see...
    Duncan: 4 rings and undefeated in the finals.

Kobe: 3 rings and never won it without Shaq. This year will be more of the same!
    hmmm...

no more like the spurs in last night game....

hmm lets see... the lakers on 2 occasions with shaq and without shaq foiled your attempts at repeating...

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it seems like Pop is really concerned about the "offensive droughts" that we had last year, which is why he's put more of an emphasis on offense this year..he can preach defense all he wants, but it's tough to play good D when Bonner and Finley are in the starting lineupm while Bowen is on the bench..

the fact that Bowen is always the first guy to go to the bench when we show signs of a drought is an indication..
    As much as Pop is fearing the offensive droughts they are still happening. Frankly, I don't find the offense to be that much better this year than last. This team still chokes on wide open shots and their O is still gonna be a question mark come playoff time.

Obviously, if the defense can hold the other team to 40% then we can get away with that, but this team is in a huge need of a trade.

The sad thing is that hardly any servicable big is available although who knows what CIA Pop will come up with.

The starting lineup should be Oberto/Duncan/Bowen/Mason/Parker.

4 out of those 5 guys know the defensive rotations well enough to make up for any O they might've lost with the current starting lineup. Having Bonner come off the bench puts a little less pressure on him to contribute since he is no longer a starter. Finley's minutes drastically need to be cut and Manu is fine coming off the bench.

We're only 25 days away from the trade deadline. And this time, with how much the level of the compe ion has been upped I don't think a "this is the team we have, and we're sticking with it" speech will work this time around.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm...

no more like the spurs in last night game....

hmm lets see... the lakers on 2 occasions with shaq and without shaq foiled your attempts at repeating...
    And we are still the team of the last decade!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're a jump shooting team way too many times against good teams with a good inside presence

Thread Information