02-22-2009, 04:36 AM
cool!

m33p0
02-22-2009, 04:53 AM
whoa!!!

bugs? are trolls considered bugs?

Fernando TD21
02-22-2009, 05:14 AM
I love the NBA add-ons with scores, standings, etc. The banner at the top is also cool.:tu

*edit: IMHO the background color is too dark. Maybe it would be better if the black was replaced with a gray or dark blue.

baseline bum
02-22-2009, 05:31 AM
I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion; I think it's way too busy and wastes tons of screen area with the sidebars, and I think the original, simpler skin is vastly superior. I do like the banner at the top, although the animation should be slowed down a bit and made more smooth. I guess I'm from the school of thought that says if it ain't broke...

velik_m
02-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Too much white. Keep the silver theme.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 05:37 AM
To be conservative, then, is to prefer the familiar to the unknown, to prefer the tried to the untried, fact to mystery, the actual to the possible, the limited to the unbounded, the near to the distant, the sufficient to the superabundant, the convenient to the perfect, present laughter to utopian bliss. Familiar relationships and loyalties will be preferred to the allure of more profitable attachments; to acquire and to enlarge will be less important than to keep, to cultivate and to enjoy; the grief of loss will be more acute than the excitement of novelty or promise. It is to be equal to one's own fortune, to live at the level of one's own means, to be content with the want of greater perfection which belongs alike to oneself and one's circumstances. With some people this is itself a choice; in others it is a disposition which appears, frequently or less frequently, in their preferences and aversions, and is ont itself chosen or specifically cultivated.

Now, all this is represented in a certain attitude towards change and innovation; change denoting alterations we have to suffer and innovation those we design and execute.

Changes are circumstances to which we have to accomodate ourselves, and the disposition to be conservative is both the emblem of our difficulty in doing so and our resort in the attempts we make to do so. Changes are without effect only upon those who notice nothing, who are ignorant of what they possess and apathetic to their circumstances; and they can be welcomed indiscriminately only by those who esteem nothing, whose attachments are fleeting and who are strangers to love and affection. The conservative disposition provokes neither of these conditions: the inclination to enjoy what is present and available is the opposite of ignorance and apathy and it breeds attachment and affection. Consequently, it is averse from change, which appears always, in the first place, as deprivation. A storm which sweeps away a copse and transforms a favourite view, the death of friends, the sleep of friendship, the desuetude of customs of behaviour, the retirement of a favourite clown, involuntary exile, reversals of fortune, the loss of abilities enjoyed and their replacement by others - these are changes, none perhaps without its compensations, which the man of conservative temperament unavoidably regrets. But he has difficulty in reconciling himself to them, not because what he has lost in them was intrinsically better than any alternative might have been or was incapable of improvement, nor because what takes its place is inherently incapable of being enjoyed, but because what he has lost was something he actually enjoyed and had learned how to enjoy and what takes its place is something to which he has acquired no attachment. Consequently, he will find small and slow changes more tolerable than large and sudden; and he will value highly every appearance of continuity. Some changes, indeed, will present no difficulty; but, again, this is not because they are manifest improvements but merely because they are easily assimilated: the changes of the seasons are mediated by their recurrence and the growing up of children by its continuousness. And, in general, he will accomodate himself more readily to changes which do not offend expectations than to the destruction of what seems to have no ground of dissolution within itself.

Moreover, to be conservative is not merely to be averse from change (which may be an idiosyncrasy); it is also a manner of accomodating ourselves to changes, an activity imposed upon all men. For, change is a threat to identity, and every change is an emblem of extinction. But a man's identity (or that of a community) is nothing more than an unbroken rehearsal of contingencies, each at the mercy of circumstance and each significant in proportion to its familiarity. It is not a fortress into which we may retire, and the only means we have of defending it (that is, ourselves) against the hostile forces of change is in the open field of our experience; by throwing our weight upon the foot which for the time being is most firmly placed, by cleaving to whatever familiarities are not immediately threatened and thus assimilating what is new without it becoming unrecognizable to ourselves. The Masai, when they were moved from their old country to the present Masaid reserve in Kenya, took with them the names of their hills and plains and rivers and gave them to the hills and plains and rivers of the new country. And it is by some such subterfuge of conservatism that every man or people compelled to suffer a notable change avoids the shame of extinction.

Changes, then, have to be suffered; and a man of conservative temperament (that is, one strongly disposed to preserve his identity) cannot be indifferent to them. In the main, he judges them by the disturbance they entail and, like everyone else, deploys his resources to meet them. The idea of innovation, on the other hand, is improvement. Nevertheless, a man of this temperament will not himself be an ardent innovator. In the first place, he is not inclined to think that nothing is happening unless great changes are afoot and therefore he is not worried by the absence of innovation. Further, he is aware that not all innovation is, in fact, improvement; and he will think that to innovate without improving is either designed or inadvertant folly. Moreover, even when an innovation commends itself as a convincing improvement, he will look twice at its claims before accepting them. From his point of view, because every improvement involves change, the disruption entailed has always to be set against the benefit anticipated. But when he has satisfied himself about this, there will be other considerations to be taken into account. Innovating is always an equivocal enterprise, in which gain and loss (even excluding the loss of familiarity) are so closely interwoven that it is exceedingly difficult to forecast the final up-shot: there is no such thing as an unqualified improvement. For, innovating is an activity which generates not only the "improvement" sought, but a new and comples situation of which this is only one of the components. The total change is always more extensive than the change designed; and the whole of what is entailed can neither be foreseen nor circumscribed. Thus, whenever there is innovation there is the certainty that the change will be greater than was intended, that there will be loss as well as gain and that the loss and the gain will not be equally distributed among the people affected; there is the chance that the benefits derived will be greater than those which were designed; and there is the risk that they will be off-set by changes for the worse.

From all of this the man of conservative temperament draws some appropriate conclusions. First, innovation entails certain loss and possible gain, therefore, the onus of proof, to show that the proposed change may be expected to be on the whole beneficial, rests with the would-be innovator. Secondly, he believes that the more closely an innovation resembles growth (that is, the more clearly it is intimated in and not merely imposed upon the situation) the less likely it is to result in a preponderance of loss. Thirdly, he thinks that the innovation which is a response to some specific defect, one designed to redress some specific disequilibrium, is more desirable than one which springs from a notion of a generally improved condition of human circumstances, and is far more desirable than one generated by a vision of perfection. Consequently, he prefers small and limited innovations to large and indefinate. Fourthly, he favours a slow rather than a rapid pace, and pauses to observe current consequences and make appropriate adjustments. And lastly, he believes the occasion to be important; and, other things being equal, he considers the most favourable occasion for innovation to be when the projected change is most likely to be limited to what is intended and least likely to be corrupted by undesired and unmanageable consequences.

The disposition to be conservative is, then, warm and positive in respect of enjoyment, and correspondingly cool and critical in respect of change and innovation: these two inclinations support and elucidate one another. The man of conservative temperament believes that a known good is not lightly to be surrendered for an unknown better. He is not in love with what is dangerous and difficult; he is unadventurous; he has no impulse to sail uncharted seas; for him there is no magic in being lost, bewildered, or shipwrecked. If forced to navigate the unknown, he sees virtue in heaving the lead every inch of the way. What others plausibly identify as timidity, he recognizes in himself as rational prudence; what others interpret as inactivity, he recognizes as a disposition to enjoy rather than to exploit. He is cautious, and he is disposed to indicate assent or dissent, not in absolute, but in graduated terms. He eyes the situation in terms of its propensity to disrupt the familiarity of the features of his world.

Michael Oakeshott

Kori Ellis
02-22-2009, 06:11 AM
I like the top header logo. And since everyone has been asking for the scoreboard, then this one is a good bet. The only thing I am not sure I like is the NBA News Wire in the upper right.

kcplayboi_26
02-22-2009, 06:14 AM
this is pretty cool

BWS-1994
02-22-2009, 07:06 AM
*edit: IMHO the background color is too dark. Maybe it would be better if the black was replaced with a gray or dark blue.

I do like the banner at the top, although the animation should be slowed down a bit and made more smooth.

:tu

And is it only me or the NBA side bar covers up some of the smilies?

Dario
02-22-2009, 07:14 AM
It would be nice if there was an on/off switch to this new skin, but either way its cool. I really like the arcade thing, nice time waster. :D

m33p0
02-22-2009, 07:32 AM
the garnett injury thread has a rating. we don't need thread ratings, IMO.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2009, 07:53 AM
:tu

And is it only me or the NBA side bar covers up some of the smilies?

Can you post a screen shot of that? The sidebar is no where close to the smilies for me. What browser are you using?

whottt
02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Is there any way you guys can put the sidebars on the top of the forum so the messages aren't shoved over to the left?

It makes me feel lopsided.

benefactor
02-22-2009, 08:00 AM
It does scoot everything over to the left, but that doesn't really bother me that much....no enough to want to get rid of the scoreboard and the standings. :tu

BWS-1994
02-22-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm currently using Google Chrome.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Can you post a screen shot of that? The sidebar is no where close to the smilies for me. What browser are you using?

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/cordobes/st1.jpg

BWS-1994
02-22-2009, 08:45 AM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/cordobes/st1.jpg

:tu same

Kriz-Maxima
02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I really like the scoreboard and the standing. I don't care for the newswire but it doesn't bother me either.

Nice banner.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Thanks. In my browser, the sidebar is about 2-3 inches away from the smilies. We'll see what we can do. This is just a test right now.

Shastafarian
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Agreed. The news wire makes it less clean and sharp. It probably isn't THAT necessary either right?

sonic21
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I like the scoreboard and the standing. nice :toast

The Franchise
02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Keep it!!!!!

layupdrill
02-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Very Nice Upgrade!

Pistons < Spurs
02-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I like it! The scoreboard and standings are sweet additions too, but like others, I don't care too much for the NewsWire. It clutters things up a bit. And in most cases, I suspect there would already be threads started on the latest news stories.

tlongII
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
The Blazers logo needs to be more prominently displayed. Other than that, not bad.

IronMexican
02-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Holy shit! You guys even have tge NBA acores on the skde. This thing is super tight.

Thunder Dan
02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't mean to offend, but I hate it. Way way too busy, hard to read. It makes my head hurt. I think the colors are good, but the standings and score thing on the side kinds is weird. But that's just me, if everyone else likes it, oh well

balli
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't mind the scores and standings pushing everything left. Well worth it.

The newswire should go IMO. Especially since it took over these links:
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5579/screenk.jpg
Which I generally use a hell of a lot.

m33p0
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
The Blazers logo needs to be more prominently displayed. Other than that, not bad.
how about we don't, hnh?

Thunder Dan
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I guess on 2nd thought it's not so bad- I'm just hungover and wasn't ready for what I was about to see. If it were me I would get rid of the news thing

GuerillaBlack
02-22-2009, 11:14 AM
This must stay. I really like it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I kinda think the news wire is pointless since there will probably be a thread on it with the same link.
Other than that, good job. :tu`

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow. Pretty much the only time I went elsewhere for sports stuff was when I needed to know a final or see a boxscore quickly and now I can do that faster than anywhere. That header will take some getting used to, but that's small stuff. This site has always kicked ass. These latest additions over the last few weeks have made it nothing short of elite.

Michi_Germany
02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I like the new skin. Good work!

hater
02-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I hate it too!

sucks ass. Bring back the old simple skin. It also takes much, much longer to load. throw it away!

Fabbs
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Like it. Much cleaner, sharper, brighter, easier to read.

Don't like the NBA logo at the top. Too corporate. I like to think of this site as Kori and tmvpLJs, not some extension of corrupt NBA.

TheMACHINE
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM
i like it. We'll get used to it. And if loading these simple add ons slow down the comp...then its a reality check that its time to buy a new one .lol

lefty
02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Wooooooooooooow

Great add-ons; thanks :tu

sook
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Dude badfrigginass! I can see the gametimes and scores for the NBA games every day!

dallaskd
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I like it...

angel_luv
02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Any bugs, likes or dislikes?

Thanks.

WOW! You guys did an awesome job! It looks absolutely amazing! Thanks! I love it! :toast

IronMexican
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Just the headline thing bugs me.

manufor3
02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
awesome

angel_luv
02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
What if the headline box was underneath the standings box instead of up so high?

I like the access to the headlines so would be sorry to see it go.

timaios
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
is there any way you guys can put the sidebars on the top of the forum so the messages aren't shoved over to the left?

It makes me feel lopsided.

+1

Kori Ellis
02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
There will likely be an option where you can switch to a regular version. This is a test.

JMarkJohns
02-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I like the top header logo. And since everyone has been asking for the scoreboard, then this one is a good bet. The only thing I am not sure I like is the NBA News Wire in the upper right.

I always thought of this forum as the NBA wire... unofficially. If it has happened or been talked about, it's been posted on in this forum almost as quickly as the content was broken.

Logo is very nice. The scoreboard could be reconfigured and placed at the top and then remove everything from the sides.

My honest opinion, I think everything but the logo can go. Just isn't necessary. I agree with baseline_bum... Too cluttered/noisy, and I also echo another posters sentiment that there's no too much white.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
People have been killing us to add the scoreboard. So the scoreboard will likely stay. The wire - personally I don't like it.

CubanMustGo
02-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Very nice, agree, lose the news wire.

And make the WC standings come up by default instead of the Least.

LockBeard
02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks great on a 24".

Awesome update.

BRHornet45
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
too much white .... racist

timvp
02-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Alright, I'm commencing tweakage . . .

baseline bum
02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
People have been killing us to add the scoreboard. So the scoreboard will likely stay. The wire - personally I don't like it.

As it currently stands, the scoreboard wastes tons of space. If there was a way you guys could make the scoreboard very small normally, but then expand to be the current size as a pop-over when the user hovers over it with the mouse, then that would be really cool.

timvp
02-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Not finished yet but gotta run.

Let me know opinions about the smaller scoreboards and the fixed width.

Thanks.

Hemotivo
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
too big for my 1024x768

but is a nice "skin"

duncan228
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I agree with a few others: It's a little too big, and it takes a little longer to load. I'd like it if we had the ability to use the old skin if we wanted to.

Having said that, it does look great and I appreciate the effort to incorporate things people were looking for.

Libri
02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
It looks good and it's working fine so far.

Xylus
02-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Suns are 0-1 with this new skin. Change it back.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
:lol

Spurs Brazil
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
It looks great for me now

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Try red for background color instead of blue.

IronMexican
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Taking a bit too long for everything to load. I hope there is an option to change it back.

DynastyBuilder
02-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice :tu

AnotherArgie
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
While I appreciate the effort trying to improve things, there're some minor issues I don't like:

1) The background is a little bit too white, making reading uncomfortable.
2) The width is not bad at 1280. but I know I'll hate it when I grab my Eee PC.
3) I preferred the old name "Basketball News Central".

Roxsfan
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
very nice skin test indeed.

CubanMustGo
02-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Not finished yet but gotta run.

Let me know opinions about the smaller scoreboards and the fixed width.

Thanks.

Smaller scoreboards ... pixel artifacts, looks less than ideal.

Fixed width - no. We're big boys and girls, we can expand the window width if we want.

mogrovejo
02-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I hate change. I just arrived to this board, this is disheartening. I hope this skin remains for the next decade or so, or I'll have to leave.

ElNono
02-22-2009, 11:58 PM
What's with the Stern's Quick NBA update plug every page?
I'm on 1920x1080 26", and the scoreboards look too small right now. I used to kind of like how posts spread over the entire window. Now they don't anymore, because of the scoreboards.
I wish there would be a way to put the scoreboards right next to the logo at the top. I have a huge empty blue section there now between the logo and the 'The Poker room has 4 players' message.

Pistons < Spurs
02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
timvp, check your inbox!

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I like it with no scoreboard...loads much faster. I like the NBA colors and banner too. My dad found it weird I was on a Spurs site. Now, he can't even tell.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm on 1920x1080 26", and the scoreboards look too small right now. I used to kind of like how posts spread over the entire window. Now they don't anymore, because of the scoreboards.
I wish there would be a way to put the scoreboards right next to the logo at the top. I have a huge empty blue section there now between the logo and the 'The Poker room has 4 players' message.

We are in the middle of testing it. Your post should spread over the entire window now. The scoreboards should also not be in your sidebar anymore.

Again, we are still testing.

timvp
02-23-2009, 12:11 AM
timvp, check your inbox!
Awesome. Thanks to Pistons < Spurs for the above header graphic.

ElNono
02-23-2009, 12:12 AM
We are in the middle of testing it. Your post should spread over the entire window now. The scoreboards should also not be in your sidebar anymore.

Again, we are still testing.

Looking good, Kori. :toast

duncan228
02-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Awesome. Thanks to Pistons < Spurs for the above header graphic.

:worthy: Pistons < Spurs does some great work.

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
P<S great work, again. Not quite as great as the Spork thread, but on par.

CubanMustGo
02-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Pistons < Spurs is definitely one of my fave non-Spur fans. :tu

Pistons < Spurs
02-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Glad to be of help.

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM

http://spurstalk.com/davidstern.jpg

Man, Stern better never take his ass out on 83rd.

AnotherArgie
02-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Much better now! :tu

sabar
02-23-2009, 12:37 AM
The blue background contrasts a bit too much imo and needs to be darkened, it's too hard.

I think the best way to do scores/standings is with a minimalistic news-ticker like most sports networks on TV do.

I like the direction this is going, nice job!

duncan228
02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I like it much more now. Thanks for the tweaking (which I assume is a ton of work).

velik_m
02-23-2009, 01:03 AM
I like the color scheme :tu

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I think the best way to do scores/standings is with a minimalistic news-ticker like most sports networks on TV do.

I like the direction this is going, nice job!

Agreed. That would be perfect.

Warlord23
02-23-2009, 01:08 AM
:lol at the "X+0.5"th Stern post on every page

whottt
02-23-2009, 01:13 AM
:lol @ Stern's favorite team

timvp
02-23-2009, 01:23 AM
I think the best way to do scores/standings is with a minimalistic news-ticker like most sports networks on TV do.True.

But not available for free anywhere (as far as I know).

whottt
02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
I gotta suggestion for how you can implement the ticker and scoreboards on the side without it being obtructive.

Ahem, not that I ever go to any other message boards, as all my message board needs are met very well at this fine forum...

But I have seen message boards that have a tab off to the side that follows you as you scroll down the page. This tab can be clicked at any time access a control panel of sorts and other features like feedback. If you could put the scoreboard and newswire on one of those tabs...you'd have the most badass board on the net(not that you don't already of course, but you know what I mean).

Since the boards I am thinking of are vbulletin 3.7.0 boards, the feature should be available to you :smokin

timvp
02-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I gotta suggestion for how you can implement the ticker and scoreboards on the side without it being obtructive.

Ahem, not that I ever go to any other message boards, as all my message board needs are met very well at this fine forum...

But I have seen message boards that have a tab off to the side that follows you as you scroll down the page. This tab can be clicked at any time access a control panel of sorts and other features like feedback. If you could put the scoreboard and newswire on one of those tabs...you'd have the most badass board on the net(not that you don't already of course, but you know what I mean).

Since the boards I am thinking of are vbulletin 3.7.0 boards, the feature should be available to you :smokin

Good idea and yeah I was thinking of that. Only drawbacks are it would cover up some of the content on the left when opened and it also wouldn't help the load speed some have complained about. I'll look at the options just in case those problems can also be solved . . .

While it's possible to have multiple skins available, it makes it a pain updating wise because you have to do everything at least double. I'm hoping to get a skin that most people can agree is good enough.

whottt
02-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I wonder if there is anyway you could put a score ticker in the graphic at the top like slomo does with the weather on the main Spurs forum.

whottt
02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Good idea and yeah I was thinking of that. Only drawbacks are it would cover up some of the content on the left when opened and it also wouldn't help the load speed some have complained about. I'll look at the options just in case those problems can also be solved . . .

While it's possible to have multiple skins available, it makes it a pain updating wise because you have to do everything at least double. I'm hoping to get a skin that most people can agree is good enough.

FWIW, what's you've got right now is pretty awesome. The Stern scoreboard is funny. I'm just trying to come up with suggestions you might not have thought of yet :tu

ElNono
02-23-2009, 01:37 AM
I wonder if there is anyway you could put a score ticker in the graphic at the top like slomo does with the weather on the main Spurs forum.

I bet you could. The question is where you get the RSS/XML feed with the live scores/game info. Yahoo Sports perhaps?

timvp
02-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Alright, let me know what you think of NBA Skin 2.0:

-Removed news wire.

-Took off the right column with the scoreboard and standings.

-Let David Stern handle the scoreboard and standings within the threads. The second post on each page features scores and standings.

-Color scheme altered.

-Top logo centered with forum navigation centered below it.

-Minor stylistic edits on forum home to make it sleeker.

-The top header image is in the process of being edited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-Do you like the standings off in the right column better or the updates via Stern inside of threads?

-Color scheme - yay or nay?

-Speed - fast or slow?

Anything else? Thx.

whottt
02-23-2009, 01:49 AM
Alright, let me know what you think of NBA Skin 2.0:

-Do you like the standings off in the right column better or the updates via Stern inside of threads?

I like Stern better than the side mounts. Funny. :tu

Overall the colors are nice in and of themselves...however something about that particular combination makes me feeling like I'm choking. BIGTIME!

I can't quite put my finger on why.

-Speed - fast or slow?

Seems ok to me...

duncan228
02-23-2009, 01:51 AM

-Speed - fast or slow?

I like Stern better, or anything else that keeps the main page clean and sized smaller than the first version. Stern is easy enough to scroll by if you want to.

Color scheme is fine for me.

It's back to loading fast now that you've made some changes. Thanks, that was a biggie for me.

The size and speed were what I wasn't thrilled with, everything else is great.

Oh, a small thing: I do like the name NBA Central better than The NBA Forum, maybe because that's what I'm used to. :)

ElNono
02-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Could we make Stern optional? I mean, I can actually block the sucker with AdBlock Plus in firefox, but some people don't have ad blockers at hand (Safari)...
I think ideally the scores would need to be on a horizontal flash box at either the top below the logo, or the very bottom. I gotta sleep now, but I'll see if I can find something tomorrow.

Fernando TD21
02-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Regarding the colors and the width, I think that the Spurs section looks better. But maybe that's because I'm used to that theme.

ps: The reason I had sugested the color change on the background, was that the background was very exposed, and the black color was creating too much contrast with all the white. Now, with the changes, I don't think that the black background would be a problem. Although the blue color fits better in the "NBA theme".

GSH
02-23-2009, 02:39 AM
It looks good now. I like the links to the other forums at the top of the page. The scoreboard and standings are both things that I would normally click elsewhere to look at, so it is both valuable and convenient.

The picture of David Stern flashing a gang sign is a little bit creepy, but not inappropriate.

Austin_Toros
02-23-2009, 02:55 AM
its good to have a different look in comparison to the other forums. although, just like when any website changes, it going to take some getting used to.
but hey, it looks good.

Purple & Gold
02-23-2009, 03:01 AM
Great new look and stern giving the scores is great. Lakers as his favorite team a nice touch :tu

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 03:12 AM

If you're absolutely committed to the scoreboard and standings, I think whottt's idea would work well, although I'd have the screen partitioned with an open area on the right for the scoreboard and standings board as you did before. I'd definitely go with the smaller, and not the full size version of the NBA.com scoreboard you used earlier in that case. The load times and memory needed are a negative for that design, but I think they're a better trade-off than having a Stern post in every thread (it looks a lot like the big ads that really turned me off at SR). Standings/Scores on the right that followed your scrolling would definitely be better IMO.

The black, blue, dark gray, and white is pretty slick. Great color scheme. :tu

-Speed - fast or slow?

It's def fast for me right now.

whottt
02-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Great new look and stern giving the scores is great. Lakers as his favorite team is the absolute truth :tu

Fixed.

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Overall the colors are nice in and of themselves...however something about that particular combination makes me feeling like I'm choking. BIGTIME!

:rollin

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Fixed.

No shit; didn't Stern once say his dream Finals matchup was the Lakers against the Lakers?

Purple & Gold
02-23-2009, 03:19 AM
Fixed.

:lol @ your team not picking up a center

Purple & Gold
02-23-2009, 03:23 AM
No shit; didn't Stern once say his dream Finals matchup was the Lakers against the Lakers?

No Lakers vs Celtics or Kobe vs Lebron would be his dream matchup. Either way spurs are asked out :rollin

whottt
02-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Much better on the color scheme now...isn't this the old Full Sport Press color scheme?

The retro colors with the cutting edge board are a nice combo.

velik_m
02-23-2009, 04:11 AM
How about this at the top:

<object id="featVideoSwf" height="140" width="918" data="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.0/home/gametracker/gametracker.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.0/home/gametracker/gametracker.swf" name="movie"/>
<param value="false" name="menu"/>
<param value="high" name="quality"/>
<param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/>
<param value="transparent" name="wmode"/>
<param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/>
<param value="xmllocation=http%3A//www.nba.com/gametracker/app/data/gt_other.xml" name="flashVars"/>
<embed height="140" width="918" flashvars="xmllocation=http%3A//www.nba.com/gametracker/app/data/gt_other.xml" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" quality="high" menu="false" src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.0/home/gametracker/gametracker.swf" name="featVideoSwf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
</object>

timvp
02-23-2009, 04:20 AM
^^^ That's pretty awesome. How did you get your hands on it?

:hat

velik_m
02-23-2009, 04:30 AM
^^^ That's pretty awesome. How did you get your hands on it?

:hat

nba.com, firebug, inspect element.

timvp
02-23-2009, 04:34 AM
nba.com, firebug, inspect element.

It is pretty awesome. I wonder what the NBA would think. It does link to all their content so maybe they wouldn't get too mad.

Hmmmmm . . .

velik_m
02-23-2009, 04:46 AM
I wonder what the NBA would think. It does link to all their content so maybe they wouldn't get too mad.

That's what i thought, as long as it links to their pages, there shouldn't be a problem. Still, maybe best checking it with them.

m33p0
02-23-2009, 05:16 AM
this one is not as cluttered as the first version.

baseline bum
02-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Major props, velik_m, timvp. That is the best of both worlds. Tons of info without being the least bit intrusive.

ElNono
02-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Exactly what I was talking about.... awesome!

Kori Ellis
02-23-2009, 07:54 AM
It's not set in stone. We are still testing.

MI21
02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
That is absolutely perfect! :toast to all involved.

Hemotivo
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
really good job

whottt
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd like to report Hemotivo for cheating on the Resident Evil Game in the arcade...no freaking way he killed 83 zombies. After you kill about 30 they turn into an unkillable super zombie.

ginobili's bald spot
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I think it looks great. :toast

urunobili
02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
like it better on the side...

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I like it.

sonic21
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
nice, i like it better now

Thunder Dan
02-23-2009, 10:33 AM
10000000x better

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Takes too long to load. I like the black though. I just don't see a need for an NBA scoreboard when I am sure everyone has NBA.com in their bookmarks.

1Parker1
02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
It's nice, but different. It's taking my eyes a little while to adjust. You should still try and keep the default Old style as an option too perhaps?

MWILL
02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Looks Great! :king

Spurminator
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Bad ass.

balli
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Looking good. And I'm not trying to be an asshole to the people who are having to wait for load times, but c'mon, this is 2009 already. If your internet can't handle loading a little scoreboard app, it might be time to look for a new provider.

CubanMustGo
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I like.

Dario
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I like it much better the way that is now. I looks really nice.

JMarkJohns
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Awesome. Much, much better than the previous skin.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Not to get too far ahead, but are there any plans for similar scoreboard things added to the MLB and NFL boards in the future?

bdictjames
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow. The blue hurt my eyes a little bit, but the scoreboard thing is excellent.

Best message board on the internetz

leemajors
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
the scoreboard is awesome, nice work! :tu

rayray2k8
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Upgrade of all time!

Dex
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Definitely like the newest look. Black with the blue accents is the way to go. The bright blue looked too kitschy.

Didn't mind the scoreboards on the sides, but the one at the top looks cleaner. Now if you can only incorporate that in the the NBA Forum header (with the scrolling logos) as that was definitely a neat touch.

sabar
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
nice!!!

DPG21920
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I would like to see the standings back up somewhere. Perhaps where the Headlines used to be??

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
^^ Agreed.
I really liked the standings.

CubanMustGo
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4466/picture3y.th.png (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3y.png)

In terms of usability, that is what typical users on laptops will see. I don't know what your analytics will say about desktop vs laptop users, but it is very hard to comb through something that takes up 50% of the screen (this and the club banner)

+1 now that I'm at home on a laptop instead of at work on the mondo monitor.

You could regain a *little* space by putting the "Spurs | NBA | NFL | MLB | The Club | Politics | Index" on either side of the top banner.

Dex
02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
:tu :tu :tu

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I hope there is an option to change it back. There is just too much going on at the top, imo.

Kai
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I love it. I agree it was nice to have the standings, but no biggie.

timvp
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Alright, I'm going to take the skin offline while I add the final touches. The next version should be the final release.

PM5K
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
It blows.

timvp
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Think I'm finished. This version features the ability to toggle the scoreboard, standings and top story on and off. The toggle doesn't require a page reload so you can, for example, be in the middle of the post and check out the standings without leaving the page.

It will remember your preference for a specific page. The only downside is that it doesn't remember your preference from page to page (default is off). But I think the one most likely to be kept on is the scoreboard and that one gets pretty redundant within each thread. The ability to remember throughout the site would require a cookie and that would get messy and not really worth the hassle.

I also made it so you need to be logged in to turn on the scoreboard. The other two should work whether you are logged in or not.

I might consider some small changes but I think this should be the final version.

Edit:

-You can configure the scoreboard as you wish and it will remember the changes.

-The top logo will be slightly tweaked in the next few days.

duncan228
02-24-2009, 01:35 AM
It's great. Love having the options. Thank you for the work.

:worthy:timvp :king

Fernando TD21
02-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Nice design, beautiful and functional. :tu

Bruno
02-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Great design. :)

nt

There is some light blue around the quote box.

Hemotivo
02-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Great design. :)

There is some light blue around the quote box.

yep

Hemotivo
02-24-2009, 07:39 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/PistonTalk/quotes/trc.gif

timvp
02-24-2009, 07:42 AM
There is some light blue around the quote box.Good eye.

Fixed :tu

DynastyBuilder
02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
very nice! thanks!

Dex
02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
:elephant

Great work. Looks sharp. Love the scoreboard at the top; definitely helps to keep track of game times and scores.

When did Kingstalk get the boot?

timvp
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Pistons < Spurs with some awesome work on the updated header image :wow

Thanks again.

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Great job!

balli
02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Fucking awesome! :tu :tu Thanks timvp, Pistons<Spurs, whoever else worked on this.

mogrovejo
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Please, stop this once for all. I'm starting to feel dizzy with all this non-stop change. It's nice as it is, no need to further tweaking.

RonMexico
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
It is quite impressive and very well-designed; but sadly, it doesn't feel like home for me (no offense).

Thunder Dan
02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I like this one

alamo50
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Love the clean look.
Great job.

lefty
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Like how you fixed the size issue

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

But where is the NHL ? :lol

Thank you very much guys

ManuTP9
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
i like the scoreboard option on the top

JMarkJohns
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Clean but still versatile. Nicely done.

TheMACHINE
02-28-2009, 03:49 PM
what up with the diff username styles?

Hemotivo
02-28-2009, 03:55 PM
beautiful

Trainwreck2100
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM
what up with the diff username styles?

oh i don't know, why ever would the mavs fans names be blue, the suns fans orange, the rockets fans names be red, and the lakers fans purple???

phxspurfan
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
For a second I thought I had logged onto the wrong website...but it looks good (if not unified with the rest of the site's skins).

crc21209
03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I think its pretty good, big props Timvp and Kori. :toast

TheMACHINE
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
oh i don't know, why ever would the mavs fans names be blue, the suns fans orange, the rockets fans names be red, and the lakers fans purple???

how bout the dude with the line thru it and the ones there are in bold.

Trainwreck2100
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
how bout the dude with the line thru it and the ones there are in bold.

oh i don't know why would the guy who has a line through his name which also hyperlinks to a thread explaining why he has a line through his name have a line through his name? And they are not bold they are black for the Spurs. Remember when you got here and your name was green cause you were new? They just chanced it from green to silver. And only OG fans get teh custom team name colors.