PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensa-Bonsu vs. Jacque Vaughn

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Who would you rather have as Spurs 12th man? Mahinmi is now a project at best, he still has fluid on his ankle. Why are we holding on to Jacque Vaughn as if he is actually an asset?

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Jacque Vaughn = Veteran Leadership? :rolleyes

buttsR4rebounding
02-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Who would you rather have as Spurs 12th man? Mahinmi is now a project at best, he still has fluid on his ankle. Why are we holding on to Jacque Vaughn as if he is actually an asset?

He is purely insurance. Also, he is normally not even the 12 man. He is normally not activated. He played a little on the road trip because Manu was out and Hill played some 2 guard. It would be stupid to release him and he would still get paid and count against salary and lux tax caps.

Whisky Dog
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Vaughn is dirt cheap and doesn't take up much space. I don't know why people are so interested in getting rid of him. He's inactive on most days anyway if TP and Hill are active so it really doesn't matter.

Besides, don't the Spurs have another roster spot available? They can sign Pops to a 10 day if they see fit without having to release anyone. It's not a vs. situation.

Darkwaters
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
He is purely insurance. Also, he is normally not even the 12 man. He is normally not activated. He played a little on the road trip because Manu was out and Hill played some 2 guard. It would be stupid to release him and he would still get paid and count against salary and lux tax caps.

His salary would count, but I don't think he counts against our luxury tax. As a vet minimum guy I think hes exempt.

tp2021
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Waters sighting! Hey, have you gotten to see Gist play at all?

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
mensa_bonsu = no_defense = no_trust = no_playing_time = bench_warmer = jacque_vaughn

Spursfan092120
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
mensa_bonsu = no_defense = no_trust = no_playing_time = bench_warmer = jacque_vaughn

Not sure we can trust your analogy on the future of one guy or his talents when you can't spell his name...It's Mensah Bonsu

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
With the new inactive roster rules, this thread doesn't make a lot of sense.

Darkwaters
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Waters sighting! Hey, have you gotten to see Gist play at all?

Hopefully this weekend actually.

PDXSpursFan
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Not sure we can trust your analogy on the future of one guy or his talents when you can't spell his name...It's Mensah Bonsu

Is that's the best argument you can think of (a typo)?

The spurs will not sign a D-leaguer who doesn't play defense for the last 30-games of the season. It will be a veteran who play solid-D or simply stay pat.

Baseline
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
In his current state, if Jacque Vaughn tried out for the JV team at Kansas right now, he get cut.

I said that before we signed him, as soon as we signed him, and his play over the last 2-3 years (or however long he has been steaing money from us) would not lead me to say anything different now.

TDMVPDPOY
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
vaughn is GHILLS backup ftm

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Vaughn is in no way a cancer.

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I think insurance policy theory is BS. He's not a cancer in the way of being a jacksass or a lockerroom problem, but he does nothing for this team. Insurance for who? If TP gets injured, Spurs are fucked anyway. GH is capable of playing 40 minutes and Mason or Manu could bring the ball up and play a little point. This team doesn't need Jacque Vaughn.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
His salary would count, but I don't think he counts against our luxury tax. As a vet minimum guy I think hes exempt.

Everyone on league min contracts count against the tax at the league min salary of a 2-yr vet. In Vaughn's case that's about $500k less than what he actually makes.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
He is very good to have as a third point guard. That's pretty much all there is to it.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I think insurance policy theory is BS. He's not a cancer in the way of being a jacksass or a lockerroom problem, but he does nothing for this team. Insurance for who? If TP gets injured, Spurs are fucked anyway. GH is capable of playing 40 minutes and Mason or Manu could bring the ball up and play a little point. This team doesn't need Jacque Vaughn.

Do they need him? Probably not. But they're committed to paying him whether he's on the team or not, so he's not going anywhere. Truth be told I think we should expect to see Vaughn back next year. Vaughn's a true professional, Pop likes him, and most importantly Vaughn's playing a crucial role in mentoring George Hill.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Do they need him? Probably not. But they're committed to paying him whether he's on the team or not, so he's not going anywhere. Truth be told I think we should expect to see Vaughn back next year. Vaughn's a true professional, Pop likes him, and most importantly Vaughn's playing a crucial role in mentoring George Hill.

Well said and Vaughn is not keeping the Spurs from signing Pops or any other potential pick up. If there were two players we had to add, then there should be a discussion of Jacque's relevance. If he was getting significant minutes, then yeah we would be in trouble but since he plays limited minutes and we don't need his roster spot - I don't understand the need for this thread.

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I would hope Pops would be sticking around longer than 10 days. That assumption is made here.

Austin_Toros
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Nana Papa Yaw Dwene Mensah-Bonsu

:king

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Spare me from "true professionals" with NO GAME.

Spursfan092120
02-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Nana Papa Yaw Dwene Mensah-Bonsu

:king

wow..lol..I stand corrected...but I do think he would be a big help for the Spurs frontcourt..nonetheless.

Spursfan092120
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM

I agree..but at that point, we might as well bring him in as a coach, as opposed to a player.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM

the same could have been said about Avery, but Pop liked him and his leadership with the rest of the team. I'm not saying that Jacque has the same influence on this team as Avery did on his team when he played, but I trust Pop's judgement of leaders and players that he can trust. Let me ask you this - what do you gain by getting rid of Jacque?

superbigtime
02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, does he make the 12 man roster? Wouldn't someone else who could help the Spurs more have a better shot?

coyotes_geek
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM

For being a 3rd point guard to fill out one of the last spots on the roster Vaughn has got game enough.

coyotes_geek
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree..but at that point, we might as well bring him in as a coach, as opposed to a player.

When Vaughn retires I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what happens. In the mean time though the Spurs still need a 3rd point guard, he's got to be willing to work cheaply, and veteran experience is preferred. If there's someone out there who fills that role better than Vaughn, the Spurs will go after that person.

underdawg
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, does he make the 12 man roster? Wouldn't someone else who could help the Spurs more have a better shot?

It's a 15 man roster - what's your point?

2008-09 Roster
NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
15 Matt Bonner C 6-10 240 04/05/1980 Florida 4
12 Bruce Bowen F 6-7 200 06/14/1971 Cal State Fullerton 12
21 Tim Duncan F-C 6-11 260 04/25/1976 Wake Forest 11
4 Michael Finley F-G 6-7 225 03/06/1973 Wisconsin 13
20 Manu Ginobili G 6-6 205 07/28/1977 Argentina 6
1 Malik Hairston G 6-6 220 02/23/1987 Oregon R
3 George Hill G 6-2 180 05/04/1986 IUPUI R
28 Ian Mahinmi C 6-11 230 11/05/1986 France 1
8 Roger Mason G 6-5 212 09/10/1980 Virginia 4
7 Fabricio Oberto C-F 6-10 245 03/21/1975 Argentina 3
9 Tony Parker G 6-2 180 05/17/1982 France 7
40 Kurt Thomas C-F 6-9 235 10/04/1972 Texas Christian 13
5 Ime Udoka F-G 6-5 220 08/09/1977 Portland State 4
11 Jacque Vaughn G 6-1 190 02/11/1975 Kansas 11

remingtonbo2001
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
He is very good to have as a third point guard. That's pretty much all there is to it.

+1

Jacque Vaughn provides vetern leadership and is capable of being a decent backup, especially on the defensive end.

Have some of you forgotten about Beno and his issues bringing up the ball. Or maybe some of you weren't watching basketball just yet.

The only knock against Vaughn is his shot. He's capable of bringing up the ball. He plays well within the half court offense. He plays solid defense.

Some of the posters on this board are ridiculous.

smrattler
02-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Spurs need some Menso!

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
It's not a 15 man roster for the playoffs. NBA playoff roster was expanded from 12 to 13 in the 2006 playoffs, so my bad for saying 12 earlier. Anyway 12 or 13, who cares. What I'm getting at is, isn't there someone who could be more of an asset to the Spurs than lowly JV? Such as Pops. I understand JV has some value as far as practice and court leadership, lockerroom presence, etc but he can stay in street clothes for a game. Some of you guys are cheeky bitchy snobs. Excuse the hell out of me for pointing out the obvious that JV sucks. Just because I don't have thousands of posts doesn't mean I haven't been a Spurs fan for about 25 years.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
The answer to your question is no, there isn't anyone the Spurs could add who would push Vaughn off the front row of the bench and into street clothes. If the Spurs don't sign another player then only 1 guy won't get to dress and that's either Mahinmi or Hairston. If the Spurs do sign somebody then it's most likely Mahinmi and Hairston. Unless of course that 15th person is a guy like Pops in which case Pops is one of the guys who doesn't get to suit up.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
all the idiots who are saying JV should be on the team because he provides leadership and he can bring the ball up the court as a third pointguard-- I just don't know what to say other than you people give spurs fans a bad name. IQ of some on this board is at mental retardation level yes below 50. Jaque Vaugn sux ass PERIOD

He should be coaching middle school basketball somewhere and providing leadership there.

pop likes insurance and having jv at the end of his 3 man pg position is just a given. jv is here to stay atleast for this season.

plus what happens if either parker or hill go down and jv ain't around to pick up some minutes? we run all our 2's as 1's or what?

ChumpDumper
02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Let's see Pops actually play in the NBA first.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
all the idiots who are saying JV should be on the team because he provides leadership and he can bring the ball up the court as a third pointguard-- I just don't know what to say other than you people give spurs fans a bad name. IQ of some on this board is at mental retardation level yes below 50. Jaque Vaugn sux ass PERIOD

He should be coaching middle school basketball somewhere and providing leadership there.

Okay smart guy, you're RC Buford, what do you do? Who are you going to go try and get?

ChumpDumper
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
And the playoff roster is 15.

Not 12.

Not 13.

urunobili
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Not 12.

Not 13.

can the 15 of them suit up for the game?

ChumpDumper
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
can the 15 of them suit up for the game?The rules are just like the regular season.

If Pops is on the team, chances are they would both be inactive.

Problem solved.

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Not 12.

Not 13.

So this is wrong? ===> http://www.insidehoops.com/expanded-rosters-041106.shtml

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Increase in Playoff Roster Size:

Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game.

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

First, thanks to Chump for clearing that up. So then as things stand now Vaughn, Mahinmi, Hairston and Udoka would be fighting for two spots on the active list. If the Spurs added a 15th player add that person to the mix.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Ahearn's a better shooter than JV, but that's it. Ahearn can't run an offense and he can't defend. If he could he wouldn't be in the D-league.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 12:21 PM
JV is no insurance he is a death sentence. If TP and Hill go down season is over.

BTW Blake Ahearn is ten times better than JV. Atleast Ahearn can hit an open jumper. I wish Livingston injury on runt so I dont have to see his ass again.

i agree i'm not a big vaughn fan but i have seen the guy play with a lot of heart for all the yrs he's been here and if i was pop i would keep the guy around as the 3rd string point. exactly what pop is doing right now.

Taco
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
So this is wrong? ===> http://www.insidehoops.com/expanded-rosters-041106.shtml

Yep that article was dated Apr. 11, 2006

they increased it to 15 awhile back

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Ahearn's a better shooter than JV, but that's it. Ahearn can't run an offense and he can't defend. If he could he wouldn't be in the D-league.

that's what cracks me up about all these threads involving d-league players... people actually expect these players to come in and make a huge splash. who are these "fans" with limited knowledge of how things work in the real world.

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Increase in Playoff Roster Size:

Playoff roster size will be expanded from 13 to 15 players, with each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game.

http://www.nba.com/news/rulechanges_060802.html

First, thanks to Chump for clearing that up. So then as things stand now Vaughn, Mahinmi, Hairston and Udoka would be fighting for two spots on the active list. If the Spurs added a 15th player add that person to the mix.

Well, yes that does clear it up and makes this thread pointless. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. :shootme

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
that's what cracks me up about all these threads involving d-league players... people actually expect these players to come in and make a huge splash. who are these "fans" with limited knowledge of how things work in the real world.

A real fan who goes to about 15 home games, records all the games and rewatches most of them, someone who collects Spurs shit. Pardon my enthusiasm and stupidity. I don't have Spurs tattoos on my calfs though, so props to you.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
are you saying JV can run the offense and play defense?

Average IQ of board now down to 40.

Yep. Considering that Pop and RC put Vaughn on the roster for a reason, I'd say it's a safe bet that they agree with me.

coyotes_geek
02-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Exactly. Every so often you'll find a guy from the D-league who is fortunate enough to find the right team and the right situation and he can come in and fill a role. But those guys are few and far between.

koriwhat
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
A real fan who goes to about 15 home games, records all the games and rewatches most of them, someone who collects Spurs shit. Pardon my enthusiasm and stupidity. I don't have Spurs tattoos on my calfs though, so props to you.

regardless of your fandom you might wanna reread over this thread... was i calling you out? i don't think so.

d-league doesn't = nba. that's all i am saying.

superbigtime
02-24-2009, 02:50 PM
regardless of your fandom you might wanna reread over this thread... was i calling you out? i don't think so.

d-league doesn't = nba. that's all i am saying.

No worries.

I agree they certainly don't equate. I was trying to come up with a new way to say Jacque Vaughn sucks. And Ramon Sessions, for instance, is a past D-leaguer gem who I think anyone would agree is better than Jacque Vaughn. Similarly, Pops is a promising d-leaguer.