PDA

View Full Version : Where The Wild Things Are

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Here is a link to the trailer for the movie:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40550

Where The Wild Things Are was the first book I read as a child. I have always loved the story and I can't wait to see this movie.

I only wish my daughter was old enough to see it. Well, I guess we'll see it together on Blu-Ray when she's old enough.

Anyway, the trailer looks good.

balli
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I saw it yesterday and briefly flirted with the idea of ending my long standing hallucinogen boycott.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
i haven't clicked the link, but F-ING A!!!!!!!!

this better not suck!!!

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
i haven't clicked the ling, but F-ING A!!!!!!!!

this better not suck!!!

I don't think it's going to suck. The trailer just fills me with anticipation for this movie.

Of course, I felt the same way when the Watchmen trailers came out and the movie pissed me off.

But, Spike Jonze is a great director and I have faith in him.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-25-2009, 01:36 PM
wow. that gave me chills.

Kermit
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Great use of an Arcade Fire song.

balli
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
What's crazy is that like a year or more ago, some test footage leaked from this movie and was so shitty looking that people thought it was fake. Given this trailer, you can tell it was real, but man, this is so much better by comparison. Any doubts I had as a result of the test footage have been alleviated.

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Great use of an Arcade Fire song.

No shit.

It was perfect for that trailer.

God damn, I want to see this move NOW!!

peewee's lovechild
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
What's crazy is that like a year or more ago, some test footage leaked from this movie and was so shitty looking that people thought it was fake. Given this trailer, you can tell it was real, but man, this is so much better by comparison. Any doubts I had as a result of the test footage have been alleviated.

There was also the issue of the studio wanting to do the whole thing all over again because they were complaining that Jonze had made it "too dark".

They wanted a happy-happy Disney movie when that's not the spirit of the book.

Jonze won the fight, though, and I think it's going to kick all sorts of ass.

CuckingFunt
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
This is one of those films that I am specifically trying not to get too excited about (because a letdown would suck horribly), but the trailer looks great. Gandolfini is, I think, an especially good casting choice.

BacktoBasics
03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
:fingerscrossed:

koriwhat
03-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I saw it yesterday and briefly flirted with the idea of ending my long standing hallucinogen boycott.

no more lsd for me but... :)

mrsmaalox
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow that looks great. It can't possibly be long before there is a big screen adaptation of "GO DOG GO" and then I can die a happy woman :dramaquee

Summers
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
"And it was still warm." (sniff) Love that book.

Xylus
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow, what a fantastic trailer.

PakiDan
03-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow. Shamwow.

RandomGuy
03-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Here is a link to the trailer for the movie:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40550

Where The Wild Things Are was the first book I read as a child. I have always loved the story and I can't wait to see this movie.

I only wish my daughter was old enough to see it. Well, I guess we'll see it together on Blu-Ray when she's old enough.

Anyway, the trailer looks good.

I have both the english and german version of this book.

Bartleby
03-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't know how the hell they were able to get a feature-length film out of that book, but it looks fucking cool as hell.

Is Spike Jonze the new Terry Gilliam?

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I have both the english and german version of this book.

I'd love to have a german copy of the book.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Is Spike Jonze the new Terry Gilliam?

Quite possibly.

Did you know that Gilliam wanted to film Watchmen? Can you imagine what that would've been like?

Kermit
03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Quite possibly.

Did you know that Gilliam wanted to film Watchmen? Can you imagine what that would've been like?

It probably would have sucked as well. Some things are sacred.

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Quite possibly.

Awesome to the nth degree.

JoeChalupa
03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm out of the loop. Never heard of it but I'm not surprised since "Cat in the Hat" became a movie.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm out of the loop. Never heard of it but I'm not surprised since "Cat in the Hat" became a movie.

You never heard of it???

You didn't read this to your daughters???

Dude!!!

As soon as my Julia starts learning to read, that's going to be the first book I buy her.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Odd that you've never heard of it, I think your kids are about the same age as mine: 15, 13(next month), and 11? Even I read it as a kid, it's from the early 60's (I was born in 69).

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
The wild things don't look that great.

RandomGuy
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I'd love to have a german copy of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilden-Kerle-Wohnen-Things-German/dp/325725105X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238088280&sr=8-1

"Wo die Wilden Kerle wohnen"

Literally: "Where the wild chums/buddies live"

You should also check out the spanish language version of Green eggs and ham.

http://www.amazon.com/Huevos-Verdes-Jamon-Green-Spanish/dp/0785791884

"Ese Juan Ramon! Ese Juan Ramon! No me gusta nada, ese Juan Ramon!"

"Te gustan heuvos verdes con hamon?"

"No! No me gusto nada heuvos verdes con hamon!"

It is frakking awesome because it was brilliantly written to have the same meter/pace and rhyming scheme of the original english version.

Mark in Austin
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Here's a long but fascinating interview with Spike Jonze on Where the Wild Things Are.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39145

Really excited to see this - the whole concept of a film about childhood vs a kids movie is way overdue imo.

jaffies
08-08-2009, 12:36 AM
2nd theatrical trailer:

fFDcaTI0cl8

THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

Jimcs50
08-08-2009, 07:55 AM
I read this book to my son about a hundred times, he loved it. When I saw the trailer at the theater, the very first second that the trailer started I knew what movie it was.

BacktoBasics
08-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I read this book to my son about a hundred times, he loved it. When I saw the trailer at the theater, the very first second that the trailer started I knew what movie it was.This is something I think is actually going to be important. The ability to capture the story so perfectly, so vividly, that you instantaneously know what it is right away is hopefully a precursor to success.

ploto
08-08-2009, 12:38 PM
The previews give me chills. Guess it brings back all the memories of reading the book. I am very impressed from what I can see with the kid they cast.

mardigan
10-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Anyone seen this yet?

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 06:43 AM
I had never heard of the book before this. I'm going to have to read it myself. A friend of mine went and seen the movie and he just said it was okay.

PakiDan
10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
My two boys (Who loved the book) went to see it this weekend and they said they hated it.... I have not seen it, but my boys are usually pretty on target... My 11 year old just finished reading Watership Downs... which he did in 2 days.... I was disappointed that they didn't like it!... I have yet to see it.

monosylab1k
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I saw it and liked it, but I can't imagine kids these days enjoying it. Which I guess kinda defeats the purpose of a kids movie, but this is probably more a movie for adults who enjoyed the book as a kid.

And seriously, don't take a real young kid like a 5 year old to see it, it will scare the crap out of him.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, that is why I never watched the Cat in The Hat movie. I didn't want it to ruin the book for me.

JMarkJohns
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I saw it and liked it, but I can't imagine kids these days enjoying it. Which I guess kinda defeats the purpose of a kids movie, but this is probably more a movie for adults who enjoyed the book as a kid.

And seriously, don't take a real young kid like a 5 year old to see it, it will scare the crap out of him.

So the fact they turned a book with so few words into a full-length feature didn't come back to haunt them? That's been my big concern, that because of such they'd have to add content, make scenes drag on to extend time used... The look is dead on.

atxrocker
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
i don't plan on watching til it hits DVD but it topped the box office with over 32 mil this weekend...

monosylab1k
10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
So the fact they turned a book with so few words into a full-length feature didn't come back to haunt them? That's been my big concern, that because of such they'd have to add content, make scenes drag on to extend time used... The look is dead on.

Spike Jonze did a great job with Max, his conflicts with his sister and mother, etc. The first 20 minutes of the movie is incredibly good.

He didn't do quite as good a job with the Wild Things, but IMO it still worked out pretty well. The Wild Things are a little too emo whiney, but that's only because they're really just Max's imaginary creations, and they behave in a manner than helps Max work out his issues with his family in his own mind.

I really liked the movie alot, and I think most adults who enjoyed the book will enjoy the movie too. Kids these days will probably think it's boring.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Too many kids these days find books in general boring. At least many that I know do.

Jimcs50
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
this has got to be the most overrated children's book of all time

For you, but it was not written for your pleasure, right? My son loved the book, so therefore it was not overrated.

Jimcs50
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Too many kids these days find books in general boring. At least many that I know do.

Probably because parents do not spend enough time reading to them. I've read probably 7000 times to my son, and he never was bored with books. I think there is a corelation.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Probably because parents do not spend enough time reading to them. I've read probably 7000 times to my son, and he never was bored with books. I think there is a corelation.

+1 I concur. I've been pushing my kids to read from day one.

PuttPutt
10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
+1 I concur. I've been pushing my kids to read from day one.

I agree too. My 3 year old loves to read. I still hate it, but that's my problem. I read her books all the time now. Especially, since my wife is caring for our 1 month old.

mrsmaalox
10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Remember book reports? And how we seemed to be writing them constantly? I'll bet my kids have book reports assigned twice a year, if that many.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Remember book reports? And how we seemed to be writing them constantly? I'll bet my kids have book reports assigned twice a year, if that many.

I heard that many kids can't even write in cursive because of computers these days.

mrsmaalox
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I heard that many kids can't even write in cursive because of computers these days.

Not many curriculums teach it anymore.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Not many curriculums teach it anymore.

That sucks. Spell check is ruining spelling too.

Mark in Austin
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I think the movie is not a children's movie so much as it is a movie about being a child. Childhood can be an adventure, scary, wonderous, unhappy, fun, confusing - you name it. Sendack understood that and dealt with those issues honestly in the book. That the movie doesn't gloss over all this and turn itself into a live action version of Ferngully is a minor miracle.

This is a movie that parents need to be prepared to talk about with their kids after they see it, though. If you're looking for a movie to babysit your kids for you for two hours while you can zone out, Cloudy w/a Chance of Meatballs and the Toy Story 3D movies are better bets.

Death In June
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
It was okay. The cinematography was good, and I appreciate how bizarre and child like some of it was, but it didn't make up for having to listen to bipolar, creepy looking puppets bitch about being sad for over an hour. It'd have been nice if there was some progression or plot, or a narrative of any kind. I would have even settled for the few established plot points if they managed to go anywhere. The script/symbolism was just...bad.

ploto
10-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Finally, I saw this movie today and I was so incredibly disappointed. I love the book and I hated the movie-- a lot! I absolutely hated what they did with the storyline. I should have realized that today every movie has to turn into being about a dysfunctional family, and this one had to top it with a group of dysfunctional wild things. The symbolic representation was just way overdone and too contrived, and I found the kid unsympathetic at best. This movie did not move me one bit, and that is saying a great deal. It was just too obvious and overplayed. It was nice visually at times, but that was about it.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I heard they made some kind of political message with this movie. Just stupid. Is this true? This'll be a torrent viewing then.

CuckingFunt
10-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Political message? Just watched this one a few hours ago and if such a message was there, I certainly didn't see it. In Max's classroom, the phrase "global warming" is uttered, but one would have to be seriously paranoid to see it as a message.

I LOVED the movie, for the record. The pace is patient and the film is allowed to breathe in a way not seen in many movies these days.