PDA

View Full Version : Are the spurs just a solid wing player short of being great?

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Obviously yes defense is a huge problem. But our scoring droughts are just so difficult to watch. Missed 3 after missed 3, yes you live by the 3 you die by the 3. The thing is I know alot of people say we are short a big man from being serious contenders. In my opinion, I think its a wing player, someone to take pressure of the outside and really open up the lane. It would also help Tim Duncan because his passes these days aren't really to cutters like they used to be. We need someone who can slash and really give us a different style, with that I feel like the 3 ball would be less pressured and we would be a much bigger threat offensively. Maybe im stating the obvious but its just something I noticed. Finley and Mason aren't those slashers we needed. Im not saying the VC trade would have done it either and I don't mean this to be a pipe dream thread where everyone picks the perfect player for us. I honestly just feel one wing player would make SO much difference to this team and really keep there window open longer. I don't know who, but someone would put us back in that dominant position. Hopefully they can pull it off this year, but if not and im the FO I think its seriously time to start looking at some players to fill our void in 3 spot. :flag:

raspsa
04-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Spurs could use the long, athletic SF you mention. Also could use a productive big man to help out Timmy. Also a reliable backup PG. Unfortunately, SPurs will enter the playoffs with the roster they have and it remains to be seen how deep they far they can go. It will be interesting.

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Spurs could use the long, athletic SF you mention. Also could use a productive big man to help out Timmy. Also a reliable backup PG. Unfortunately, SPurs will enter the playoffs with the roster they have and it remains to be seen how deep they far they can go. It will be interesting.

If Gooden can start to play well, think about it. You have decent big men role players in KT and Fab and Bonner can come in and contribute offensively. I just feel a solid wing player would really push this team over the edge.

raspsa
04-03-2009, 03:17 AM
If Gooden can start to play well, think about it. You have decent big men role players in KT and Fab and Bonner can come in and contribute offensively. I just feel a solid wing player would really push this team over the edge.

No doubt. Lots of ifs and maybes for this season. Spurs still have to gel offensively and defensively. Injuries and familiarizing new players are the main culprits. I still think the Spurs can compete but only if Timmy gets some semblance of his old self back and starts dominating in the post, if manu regains his form and Parker doesn't burn himself out. I think with a solid Big 3, the Spurs will be in the thick of it but even now that's not a given.

It will be an intersting off season though and the fate of a number of role players will depend how they perform in the next couple of months.

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 05:08 AM
No doubt. Lots of ifs and maybes for this season. Spurs still have to gel offensively and defensively. Injuries and familiarizing new players are the main culprits. I still think the Spurs can compete but only if Timmy gets some semblance of his old self back and starts dominating in the post, if manu regains his form and Parker doesn't burn himself out. I think with a solid Big 3, the Spurs will be in the thick of it but even now that's not a given.

It will be an intersting off season though and the fate of a number of role players will depend how they perform in the next couple of months.

I feel like if we got a solid starting SF(maybe like a Nocioni) than it would improve our bench. Yeah, obviously We get pissed at Finley and Mason for being less than zero on the floor if there not hitting there shots, players like Bonner, Mason and Finley coming off the bench though would be huge no matter how old Finley is, no matter how much Bonner and Mason suck at D, they would be amazing bench players adding so much depth and make for a good bench. I just feel a solid small foward would take the pressure off of the spurs ENTIRE game.

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 05:35 AM
If we keep Gooden and he evolves our big man problems are almost solved. But god damn our wing needs work. Is there anything in the offseason we could do? I feel even if we win a championship our lack of a slasher in a 3 spot is more than obvious. If we get one, our window stays open longer.

raspsa
04-03-2009, 06:19 AM
The need for the other positions to carry the load is becoming more apparent with the decline of Duncan due to his knee problems. Used to be Timmy would punish the opposition in the paint but he's really struggling.. he doesn't draw in the defense like he used to so now Spurs perimeter game is suffering. Its sad that TD will be handicapped to a certain extent for the remainder of his career.. like I said, it will be an interesting offseason.

TDMVPDPOY
04-03-2009, 06:27 AM
one knee and ankle away from a championship imo....

hater
04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
they are a couple of healthy knees from being great.

spurspokesman
04-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Obviously yes defense is a huge problem. But our scoring droughts are just so difficult to watch. Missed 3 after missed 3, yes you live by the 3 you die by the 3. The thing is I know alot of people say we are short a big man from being serious contenders. In my opinion, I think its a wing player, someone to take pressure of the outside and really open up the lane. It would also help Tim Duncan because his passes these days aren't really to cutters like they used to be. We need someone who can slash and really give us a different style, with that I feel like the 3 ball would be less pressured and we would be a much bigger threat offensively. Maybe im stating the obvious but its just something I noticed. Finley and Mason aren't those slashers we needed. Im not saying the VC trade would have done it either and I don't mean this to be a pipe dream thread where everyone picks the perfect player for us. I honestly just feel one wing player would make SO much difference to this team and really keep there window open longer. I don't know who, but someone would put us back in that dominant position. Hopefully they can pull it off this year, but if not and im the FO I think its seriously time to start looking at some players to fill our void in 3 spot. :flag:
Come back SJax:depressed LOL:lol

bdictjames
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
If they just get rid of Finley they'll be fine.

Chomag
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I must admit this season the 3 spot looks extremely bad, but I'm honestly not to worried about the Spur future regarding it. We most likely have Gist and Hairston joining the team for next season and they both have looked very promising.

We haven't seen Gist play any NBA minutes yet, but from the little time Hairston got he was able to show some very good things.

I don't want to sound preachy but, Hairston has shown that fearless drive to the basket, and is a good 1 0n 1 defender. If he can work on getting a consistent jump shot, and work on speeding up his rotations having him active on our roster would give us so much that the team lacks.

I still think Hairston (even though still raw) was still good enough to be on the team this year. Even at his current state he was IMO a far better player then Ime, but Ime knows the spurs system, while Hairston is still trying to figure it out.

I'm with you guys though. I'm going to go bald pulling my hair out watching the Spurs clang 3 after 3. Come on guys, when they arnt falling why do you continue to jack them up. When a teams offense consist of just chucking up a shot and praying it eventually goes in of course there will be huge droughts.

cd98
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Spurs were short a productive big man, a back up point guard, and an athletic wing. They drafted George Hill (instead of Chalmers-more point guard ready), signed Gooden, but could not pull off a trade for an athletic wing.

We had a lot of holes. We are still short a reliable back up point guard and an athletic wing. Both will hurt us in the playoffs.

Chomag
04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Spurs were short a productive big man, a back up point guard, and an athletic wing. They drafted George Hill (instead of Chalmers-more point guard ready), signed Gooden, but could not pull off a trade for an athletic wing.

We had a lot of holes. We are still short a reliable back up point guard and an athletic wing. Both will hurt us in the playoffs.

I kind of disagree. If hill had anywhere near the playing time Chalmers has he would be on par with him on development. We all saw what Hill could do with starter minutes when Tony was out earlier this season.

Rogue
04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I think Fin will play a big role in the playoffs.

benefactor
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I think Fin will play a big role in the playoffs.
Herein lies the problem...

EricB
04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
The team is great the way it is. The players that would turn things around are didn't the pine.

ElNono
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I think the consensus is that we're a Bruce Bowen-type of player away from being great...
The pisser is that he's actually part of the roster but sitting on the bench... :bang

iilluzioN
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
lol, we don't need anymore All-Star players to join th spurs, we have plenty of that already (Manu,Tony) What we need is a Healthy Duncan

Heck, we should be happy to have Tony Parker

mountainballer
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I started to wonder if we shouldn't be more unhappy that the Salmons trade failed, compared to the Camby trade. (reportedly the Spurs offered Bruce and Ime for Salmons, maybe they should have tried harder)
Salmons is doing great in Chicago, he would fill most of our current needs.
on defense AND offense.

DaBears
04-03-2009, 10:37 AM
TIM as great as he's been over the years is starting to look alot like! "Yap you guessed it, Patrick Ewing w/ those supports on his knees".

ooookkkkkaaaaayyy maybe that was a little harsh. But for gosh sake grow a pair TIM and play with some fire and heart.

DaBears
04-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Its easy to look good on a sorry(weak) team. But not so easy to put up those same numbers on a good team with more talent. Point being on sucky teams you get more minutes.. Its the law of averages, still i would have liked to see what he could have brought to us.

Anything is more than what bruce is putting up.

SenorSpur
04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
In my opinion, the Spurs needed such a player about 5 years ago. That's how long this position has been an "achilles heel" for this team. There was plenty enough time for them to have already identified, cultivated and developed a younger player, who could have been in place at that position, by now.

Instead, they've preferred the cheap, aging, jump shooter route. While it's been a serviceable option, they've won 2 titles despite the deficiency, it hasn't set them up for current or future success. Now look where they are. Stuck with a collection of guys who have declined to the point where the team is at an extreme disdavantage. Bruce could still be productive, yet he's older and can't get court time; Finley is playing too many minutes with diminshing returns and Ime is an undersized, athleticially-challenged, stop-gap option.

My issue is that Pop and RC have seemingly "stuck their heads in the sand" and acted as though the SF position wasn't a big priority for this team. There was simply no reason for them to have ignored the spot for as long as they have.

Ocotillo
04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I think its seriously time to start looking at some players to fill our void in 3 spot.

This has been discussed muchly in this forum for the past 3 or 4 years. There has been endless debate about who could be Bowen's replacement and the pursuit of the ever elusive "long three."

Now Bruce is on the verge of going away and his replacement is Michael Finley?

I am a Hairston fan but dude has to develop an outside shot. Gist is unknown how he will fit in and adjust to the NBA.

We can handle a step back defensively at the three if we can add a intimidating shot blocking five.

spursfaninla
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
title should be "are the Spurs just a slashing sf who can play defense away from being great"...

and, perhaps, yes.

sananspursfan21
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
when's tmacs contract expire? he's not the star he used to be so he may not be too prideful to come to SA and i'm sure he's sick of not being able to win a playoff series in his entire career. eh?

Chomag
04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
when's tmacs contract expire? he's not the star he used to be so he may not be too prideful to come to SA and i'm sure he's sick of not being able to win a playoff series in his entire career. eh?

Oh God no...

But pop loves his vets, so who knows.

manu_maniac
04-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I really wanted the Salmons trade to go down, but I guess if the Kings wanted to get rid of him & Miller, that never could have worked.

Hopefully Gist has improved enough for Pop to give him some solid minutes, but for Pop to do that, improvement would probably mean instantaneously getting 5 years older. He's never trusted a rookie after getting Parker.

Chomag
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I really wanted the Salmons trade to go down, but I guess if the Kings wanted to get rid of him & Miller, that never could have worked.

Hopefully Gist has improved enough for Pop to give him some solid minutes, but for Pop to do that, improvement would probably mean instantaneously getting 5 years older. He's never trusted a rookie after getting Parker.

This is true. When you are a rookie under Pop you better be, and play as good as an all-star caliber player every minute of the game or you get benched. However if your a vet (especially if you have the initials of MF) you might just get an automatic pass.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-03-2009, 05:50 PM

No thanks. Tmac is playoff bad luck.
He'd probably cause the Spurs to lose their playoff streak of always making it past the first round.

Duncan2177
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM

I think we are a Marcus Camby short of being great.

sook
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
a dynamic wing actually

SenorSpur
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Please!

Mr. Body
04-03-2009, 08:35 PM
*cough*Nicolas Batum*cough*

our last chance, right there

lefty
04-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Actually, it works the other way around

We are on less wing away from being great

*cough* Michael Finley *cough*

SenorSpur
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM

I didn't want to say it. Of course, had Batum been on the roster, Pop would probably be jacking around with both his mind and his minutes - same as he's doing to Hill. Still, I feel ya.

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Im not even talking an all star or a guy who dominate the ball. Just a wing player that would play defense and slash, it would take pressure off of the 3 ball and Duncan has always used his passing game extremely well with slashers. I don't know what there options are during the off season...does anyone? But I feel to keep the window open its time to be realistic. Tim Duncan has gone a long time with below average big-men next to him, its really the 3 spot that is killing the spurs.

TheSpursFNRule
04-03-2009, 10:22 PM
If Gooden sticks around and actually becomes something, our front court will be alright. Duncan, Gooden, Oberto, Thomas, Mahimi?...but seriously no one on this team cuts. When we play the lakers or the hornets we need to get off near PERFECT passes to get our offensive going. Where is the player who takes the pressure off of all that? There is no one? Yeah Manu is a great all around player, Tonys tear drop and facilitating are nothing to complain about, and Duncans post play is still efficient though not what it used to be. Finley and Mason who sometimes play SF are just CHUCKERS. We do not need that, teams EXPECT that from pretty much all of our players. Like its said live by the 3 die by the 3. I can't except anymore chucking we really need a solid small foward, maybe during free agency maybe via trade. Anyone agree with me or have any ideas? I thought a guy like Jefferson wouldve been great, but even a dude like Nocioni would fit. I just can't handle the inconsistency of Finley and our other players at the 3 spot. its fucking pathetic. Remember Spurs fans there was a time when we did more than just shoot long shots and rely on feeding Timmy the ball.

Austin_Toros
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
We are one Vince Carter away from winning the title.

sprrs
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
No. It wouldn't matter even if the Spurs got their hands on Dwayne Wade. He wouldn't play because all his minutes would go to Finley.

SenorSpur
04-04-2009, 12:48 AM
No. It wouldn't matter even if the Spurs got their hands on Dwayne Wade. He wouldn't play because all his minutes would go to Finley.

:lol

:tu

Allanon
04-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Spurs have been missing an athletic/long 3 for years now.

Last draft was the first time they actually seemed to really go after one (Batum) but he just wasn't available so they settled for Gist. I don't think that prior to this season they were to amped to find one though as several free agent long 3's came and went.

SenorSpur
04-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Spurs have been missing an athletic/long 3 for years now.

Last draft was the first time they actually seemed to really go after one (Batum) but he just wasn't available so they settled for Gist. I don't think that prior to this season they were to amped to find one though as several free agent long 3's came and went.

Therein lies the issue. They should've been.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-04-2009, 01:13 AM
No, they are a healthy Duncan, a solid, athletic wing stopper, a dose of chemistry, and a sane Popovich away from being great right now. :lol

Yorae
04-04-2009, 02:51 AM

I hate the blazers. Maybe we should meet them in the first round. :ihit