PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker vs. Dwayne Wade

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 11:09 AM
I was looking at their stats and was wondering how the two match up to each other. Wade leads Parker in every statistical category except FG% and they have similar systems, both are designed with an emphasis on getting the ball to the big man.

Discuss.

Tony Parker
EFF + 16.97
PPG 16.7
RPG 3.9
APG 6.2
SPG 1.30
BPG .05
FG% .492
FT% .647
3P% .270
MPG 34.2

Dwayne Wade
EFF + 23.86
PPG 23.8
RPG 5.3
APG 7.0
SPG 1.57
BPG 1.19
FG% .485
FT% .771
3P% .292
MPG 38.7

TwoHandJam
03-19-2005, 11:24 AM
You neglected the fact that there is a significant difference in the number of minutes played between the two. Wade's figures are based on playing almost 5mpg more than Tony.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 11:26 AM
right, that's why I said that Dwayne leads tp in every statisical category save for fg%, minutes bieng a statistical category

MaNuMaNiAc
03-19-2005, 11:27 AM
right, and TwoHandJam is saying that taking into account the 5 more minutes per game you can find the reason why Wade leads TP in some of those categories

ZStomp
03-19-2005, 11:28 AM
What is there to discuss?

duncan2k5
03-19-2005, 11:29 AM
wade is better than tony, but i like tony more

ZStomp
03-19-2005, 11:30 AM
right, and TwoHandJam is saying that taking into account the 5 more minutes per game you can find the reason why Wade leads TP in those categories

What about the fact that Wade is probably a better player? Stronger. More atheletic. Bigger. :spin

GO TP

wildbill2u
03-19-2005, 11:32 AM
You neglected the fact that there is a significant difference in the number of minutes played between the two. Wade's figures are based on playing almost 5mpg more than Tony.

That 'more minutes per game' could also be attributed to Wade's endurance/strength being better than Tony's. We've all seen Tony come up short of energy or something in the fourth quarter of a lot of games.

Hold the flames. I still like TPs game, but I think Wade may be a little better now.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 11:35 AM
What is there to discuss? Is Tony in the same echelon of players as Dwayne Wade. that was the point of the thread.

and BTW I know what TwoHandJam's point was, does that five minutes make Tony almost as good as, or equal to Wade?

Both are 2 gaurds trapped in a 1's body and both have a limited jumper, so if you put Tony in a lineup with Shaq, what happens?

dougp
03-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Is Tony in the same echelon of players? Did you even know who Wade was before Shaq was there?

Anyways, you can't compare TP or Wade IMO because of the fact that TP has to play with Duncan & Manu, and he actually has 'decent' backups.

sickdsm
03-19-2005, 12:17 PM
7 assists per game surprises me as a 2 guard. But then again i bet alot of them are towards Shaq.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
That 'more minutes per game' could also be attributed to Wade's endurance/strength being better than Tony's.

I think the more minutes per game thing is really a function of the Spurs being deeper at the point than Miami is.

Frenchise player
03-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Another stat you haven't shown is turnover, Wade's average is 4.19 (2nd in the league) and Tony is 2.69.

That being said, even if I am french and a fan of Tony, I can't say that he is as talented as Wade.
Dwyane is a top 10 player in the league and he has shown clutch skill (that shot against New York reminds Reggie, MJ and some other HOF).
Tony has shown that he is a top 5 PG but he has some big holes in his games. He shots poorly from free-throw line and 3 point range.

What is great with Tp is that he began with 19 years. Today, he is younger than Wade but he already has 4 play-offs and a ring behind him.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 01:33 PM
1) who didn't know who dwayne wade was last year, and 2) I was shocked by the 7 assists per game, but his natural poition is a 2, that's what he played at Marquette, Stan van Gundy made him play PG last year and the experiment worked out ok.

exstatic
03-19-2005, 01:45 PM
TP is quicker, a better defender, and sees the court better. Wade is stronger, a better finisher, and a better shooter.

I think Wade does more because he has to. Outside of Shaq, there really isn't any player of quality on Miami. Tony showed that he can fill it up when Tim and Manu missed those two games together, going for 55 points.

baseline bum
03-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Minutes played is by far the most underrated stat in the NBA. If Parker could play the minutes Wade does at the same efficiency he would. Per 48 stats are bullshit and extrapolating a guy's production linearly to 40 minutes and claiming he's in the same class is ridiculous. Parker is easily a top 10 point in this league, but he is in no way as good as Dwayne Wade.

picnroll
03-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Adjusted for minutes Parker numbers are:
Points - 18.9
Rebounds - 4.4
Assists - 7.0
TO 3.1 vs Wade's 5.3

The point differential for Wade comes largely at the FT line where he takes 9.8 and makes 7.5 FTs per game vs Parker's time adjusted 4.5 making 2.9 per game.

Wade is a special player. If Parker can ever develop a reliable long and mid-range shot he'll be a special player too.

boutons
03-19-2005, 02:49 PM
"reliable long and mid-range shot"

After the playoffs fiasco last May, Tony said he would spending the summer practicing shooting. His FTs have gone to shit hopelessly, and his jumpers are a long way from being acceptable, so he still has a long way to go. He just has to change his shot mechanics to give himself a better chance. He has plenty of years remaining ...

If it weren't for his layups and floater, he'd be serverely limited scorer, aka "to stop the Spurs = to stop Tony (+Tim) = deny the paint". Rest assured that teams playoff-focused on the Spurs like Griz, Heat (already did it in Spurs@MIA), Rockets, and Pistons are capable of executing that defense.

Dex
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I think Tony has given up on the new shot he developed over the summer anyways.

He said, after last season, that he wasn't satisfied with the way he shot the ball because he didn't have what was considered a 'textbook stroke'. Supposedly he spent a lot of extra hours in the gym trying to develop that, and you could see it in his style at the beginning of this season. Unfortunately it didn't seem to do much for his shooting percentage, and everybody wanted his head on a stake during his slump. It's often frustrating to stick with a new style, as 'fundamentally sound' as it may be, if you don't see any benefit coming from it.

Lately, I've seemed to notice his jump shot has slowly reverted back to his old form; With that elbow slightly cocked to the side and a very quick snap of the wrist, not a lot of stroke. It seems like he doesn't really keep his arm under the ball that well. This shot always worked alright for Parker (particularly mid-range), but seems to be inconsistent, as we've all learned both in the past and as of late.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 03:36 PM
It would be nice to see tony develop some range to his game, a three point shot be damned, if he had grant hill's mid range jumper this team would be damn near unstoppable

td4mvp21
03-19-2005, 03:53 PM
^I dont know what happened to his threes. His second year he was pretty good at them.

Nikos
03-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Wade is better by a big margin right now.

Per minute stats are more effective indicators than pure pts scored or that bullshit Efficiency number on NBA.com. Don't be fooled. A lot of quality players before they evolved into all stars had EXCELLENT per minute stats. They are a nice indicator for young guys or 2nd or 3rd year players in this league (International players especially). Of course the sample size in terms of mpg for a player has to be at around 15mpg or more to be significant.

adidas11
03-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Wade is an All star, borderline superstar in the NBA. Tony Parker is not an All Star, and is a borderline all star at best.

Next.

ducks
03-19-2005, 06:44 PM
next what
some think wade is only as good as he is because of shaq

exstatic
03-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I wonder what Parker would do with free reign on an Eastern Conference team?

Mark in Austin
03-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Did you even know who Wade was before Shaq was there?

Yes. As a rookie Wade grabbed the playoffs by the throat last postseason. There hasn't been a rookie that has done that since Tim Duncan vs. Utah.

Wade > Parker.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I think the number of scoring options in Miami nulls the PPG defferntial, Tony seems capable of dropping 25 a night when he and duncan are playing w/o Manu. as far as the all-star argument, i am fairly sure popularity with the fans should not be a factor in talent evaluation. Vince Carter was selected to the all-star game before he turned his game up a notch.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-19-2005, 08:23 PM
lol

mookie2001
03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
he mann i thought it was gonbe you

Que Gee
03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Is Tony in the same echelon of players? Did you even know who Wade was before Shaq was there?

Anyways, you can't compare TP or Wade IMO because of the fact that TP has to play with Duncan & Manu, and he actually has 'decent' backups.

You better come back with something stronger than that. If you pay attention to the NBA, you should have known who Duane Wade was before Shaq was there. He had a great rookie season!

He "has to play" with Duncan and Manu? Well let's just make it that Shaq and TD cancel each other out...You are saying his stats aren't as good just because he has Manu?

RobinsontoDuncan
03-19-2005, 10:30 PM
it might be a factor, sharing the ball, but I think based on the statistics Tony and Wade share the ball almost the same, meaning that might be a wash.

MI21
03-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I don't think you will find anyone in the world who thinks Parker > Wade.

*Yuk. I feel like IceColdBrewski saying things like that*

SequSpur
03-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Wade plays behind a dominant center.

Parker plays behind a center with no balls and a power forward that is moving farther and farther outside as each game goes by.

slayermin
03-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Wade is the better overall player, but I think Tony is the better point guard.

Dwayne is more of a two guard, imo.

ZStomp
03-20-2005, 06:47 AM

Parker plays behind a center with no balls and a power forward that is moving farther and farther outside as each game goes by.

As long as he gets the job done.

Rummpd
03-20-2005, 06:50 AM
Not to denegrate the fabulous Wade but let him win something first or sustain his play over several season to call him a superstar. He probably will be someday but Parker at age 22 has already also accomplished a hell of a lot.

Also, how many games has Parker come up big in his career already vs. other great players? TP showed that when Duncan and Manu out he can score with the best of them.

Wade is better but the difference is not as much as some of you make it out to be! On the Herd talkshow recently the host was calling TP the most underrated player in the league as did Dupree in USA today this year!!

Sec24Row7
03-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Tony would be absolutely unstoppable if he got the sideways rotation out of his jump shot.

He would be as good as Allen Iverson.

As it is, he is turning into a SUPERSTAR.

Wade is closer to being a SUPERSTAR right now because of his clutch game, but tony is on the way too.

Next year, if tony continues playing the way that he has been,he may be an all star STARTER.

That is how much his game has improved from season's start.

Frenchise player
03-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Tp is in the top ten for two consecutive weeks!!!
He seems to learn quite a lot from Ginobili.

whottt
03-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Wade is better but the gap isn't that great. The major difference between them is that Wade has gotten more of a chance to develop as a guy who has to carry the team...Wade got that experience last year while Parker has never been asked to do that....in the brief glimpses we have gotten of Parker as the man I think he has aquitted himself fairly well.

I think Parker, though it may be a tad unpolished, has a better shot than Wade and is a better defender...Wade has size and uses it very well...

sickdsm
03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
On Dream Job last night on the fact or fiction part SAS took the fact stand on that Manu is more important to the spurs than Wade to the heat.

Which would imply that its the opposite since he's always wrong.

CosmicCowboy
03-21-2005, 09:37 AM
next what
some think wade is only as good as he is because of shaq

Ducks, I had Dwayne Wade on my fantasy team last year so I followed him pretty closely...he was tearin it up as a rookie before Shaq ever got there...

boutons
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
"Wade is better but the gap isn't that great"

Wrong. Wade is superb clutch player (eg: Spurs@Heat, etc, etc), while yesterday, Tony's total disappearance in the second half, after a wonderful first half, and especially his absence in crunch time (he didn't shoot or drive once), showed why Wade is a much more effective, ballsy player.

I love Tony, but his disapperances really subtract from his results. He continues to improve dramatically (shooting aside), but he's not there, yet.

As with the crippled Spurs losses @PHX and @DET (both games were at the Spurs' fingertips in crunch time), the difference is both minuscle and huge. It's the difference between winning and losing, the between Championship and gone fishin.

Dex
03-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Does this mean you'll be shifting the unmitigated hate to Tim for a while? :lol