PDA

View Full Version : General 2010 NBA Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Bruno
06-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Spurs' 10 draft picks :
Spurs have the 20th and 49th pick. (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/16/draft.order/index.html)

Players available for the 10 draft :
International players born in 1988 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 89, 90 or 91 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 6 : Teams can start workouts with automatically eligible players.
April 7 - April 10 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 25 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 8 : Early entry withdrawal deadline to keep NCAA eligibility.
May 18 : Draft Lottery.
May 19 - May 23 : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 5 - June 7 : Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 14 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 24 : NBA Draft in NY.

Workouts:

PG:
Jeremy Wise (May 14th + June 22nd)
Ben Uzoh (June 2nd)
Tweety Carter (June 2nd)
Scottie Reynolds
A.J. Slaughter
Jermaine Beal (June 22nd)

SG:
Dominique Jones (May 14th)
Ryan Thompson (May 13th + June 2nd)
Willie Warren (May 13th)
Xavier Henry (May 13th)
Manny Harris
Elli0t Williams (May 14th)
Andy Rautins (May 13th)
Terrico White (June 4th + another one)
Lance Stephenson (June 2nd)
Avery Bradley?
Jordan Crawford

SF:
Paul George (May 13th + interview at the combine)
Lazar Hayward (May 13th + another workout)
Gordon Hayward (interview at the combine)
Devin Ebanks
Luke Babbitt
Landry Fields (June 2nd)
Da'Sean Butler (visit)

PF:
Dwayne Collins (May 13th)
Craig Brackins
Tyren Johnson
Derrick Favors (interview at the combine)
Samardo Samuels (May 29th)
Jarvis Varnado
Jeremy Evans (June 18th)
Trevor Booker
Bryan Davis (May 13th)
Charles Garcia (June 2nd)
Larry Sanders

C:
Dexter Pittman
Ryan Richards

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)
CBA faq (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

Think Thank Draft related threads:
2010 NBA Draft Prospect Thread Index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143701)
2010 Mock Draft Database (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153473)
Ranking the Small Forwards Draft Prospects (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153743)

Spursfan092120
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Little early for this, bro. We don't know where they're going to be, if we'll trade and get draft picks, if we'll go far in the playoffs. A lot of us Spurs fans think we have a shot at the title..if that happens, we won't be drafted mid 20's.

exstatic
08-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah way too early. One interesting option of a player I could see dropping into the late first round though is John Henson. He reminds me of Kevin Durant and I would bet he comes out of UNC even if he has a so-so season.

If he's from UNC, even with a so-so season, he's going in the lottery. Those ACC players are usually drafted higher than they might otherwise be.

Zocalo
08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
I want the Spurs to draft someone good...

exstatic
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
True, but I'm thinking he might be similar to a BJ Mullins or DeAndre Jordan player. Real raw, but has talent.

Mullins' coach was tryring to hide him in a so so conference, burying him for most of the season. Jordan was a headcase, and not someone the Spurs would consider, as noted by them passing on him despite their center situation.

It's a catch 22. If someone is any good, they will either be gone by the Spurs draft position, or they will drop past us with "issues". The only exception with a college player would be someone like Hill who went to a nothing school. If you're going to scout possible picks, either look at overseas players, or beat the bushes at the mid-major colleges. Anyone from a big school who has real talent, realized or not, and no issues of any kind (Blair has knee issues) will never make it to our draft position.

mountainballer
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
considering that the Spurs have stockpiled unsigned drafted players (Splitter, Gist, McClinton, De Colo, Sanikidze, Javtokas) and that they already have quite a few rookies/projects on the current roster (Blair, Hill, Hairston, Ian, Williams), I see a very good chance the Spurs won't draft a player at all.
(well, they will draft a player, but they might do it for another team.)
especially if they can (or at least hope) get Splitter to SA in 2010.

mountainballer
11-26-2009, 04:48 AM
ok, I said some months ago, that the Spurs might not keep their 2010 pick.
but like every year, when College season has started, some intriguing prospects come up.

some thoughts:
Xavier Henry, G-F, Kansas, Freshman
damn, this kid is good and as far as I can tell from a few videos he would be perfect for the Spurs. DX currently has him at #24. this would be in out range. but I fear he will skyrocket the board when the season goes on and become a lottery pick. however - watch this kid!

Landry Fields, G-F, Standford, Senior
wow, DX doesn't even have a profile for this guy and NBAdraft.net also doesn't have him on the board. and usually you don't see a player explode between his Junior and Senior season. but Fields might become late bloomer of the year. Spurs should really follow his season. scores like crazy, hits his 3s and rebounds like a guard version of Blair. currently he is still under everyones radar. could be a great option for a SF prospect.

kbrury
11-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Stanley Robinson from UCONN play the 3 and small ball 4 loads of athleticism, shotblocking, good passer. good rebounding, and is especially known for his great defense. Need to have someone young we can try and groom to be a defensive stopper I believe.

Its early I know but hes shooting well from the three college range which is a major improvement. He is averaging 16 points on 55% shooting, 1.83 A/TO ratio, 1 stl/game, and 2.3 blocks.

Oh I also agree with Xavier Henry.

aquiet20&10
11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
i like Stanley Robinson too. I think we could possibly steal him in the second round. a guy who is impressing me is Evan Turner. his all around game is unreal, he'll probably got top 10 though. so i'm gonna go with Manny Harris from Michigan. He's got an all around game and good length for the 2-guard position. scores in bunches in a variety of ways. could possibly be manu's future replacement.

AFBlue
11-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Guys like Evan Turner and Xavier Henry are too talented to make it to the 20's if they declare. I like the Stanley Robinson take, because the Spurs' most obvious weakness is athleticism and overall depth on the wing.

Another couple guys that may be available with similar skill set are Damion James from Texas and Chris Wright from Dayton.

If I had to take a guess, I'd go off that path and say the Spurs will target someone like Kyle Singler out of Duke. He can play both forward positions, stretch the defense with perimeter shooting and has a good overall feel for the game. Despite not being a great athlete, he seems very much like Spurs material.

But it's still VERY early.

mountainballer
11-27-2009, 06:52 AM
yes, it's early. that makes it fun. never to early to play some scout games.

I also focus on athletic wing, maybe a mistake, 2010 looks deep in the big man department and not so much at the wing.
the mentioned players are all combo forwards, who will struggle to play SF in the NBA. I only see them as a good option, if the Spurs have given up on James Gist. otherwise Gist might be the better prospect.
Singler is a different case. I do like him and I can see him flourish with the Spurs. but for sure he doesn't adress the need for the athletic wing.

I keep an eye on Sylven Landesberg (who might not declare 2010 though), he has a lot of potential for the role I think the Spurs need to fill in the future. long, tough, smart, good ball handler, tons of undeveloped potential. (he is just 19). IMO a Josh Childress type player in the making?

AFBlue
11-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Three others in the "questionable athleticism, but damn he can shoot" mold....Luke Babbitt (Nevada), Gordon Hayward (Butler) and Robbie Hummel (Purdue).

kbrury
11-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Another type of young player the spurs will need in the future is just a shooter who can hit the spot up jumpers along the perimeter. Which is why I like James Andersen from OK ST I think he could fit well in the Spurs system.

AFBlue
11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Two more SFs that have good all-around games are Tyler Smith (Tennessee) and Paul George (Fresno St.).

Bukefal
11-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Spurs should definitely keep an eye on Longhorns Damion James. I said it in the 2009 draft too, but he withdrew and returned to play college ball. He did worked out with the Spurs though. He is a great player, I hope we can get him.

mountainballer
11-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Damion James is for sure a good option.
still some questions about him. is he enough of a basketball player, to be successful in the NBA? is he better than James Gist?
James does have fantastic tools (athleticism and strength), but for sure he isn't the smartest player out there. and while he is a good shooter, he really can't handle the ball. so the option to play him at SF is limited. (on defense he would be a nice option to guard the big SFs). he will be almost 23 next years draft, so there won't be that much upside left. (the major point of concern in some scouting reports was his lack of improvement in his Junior season)
on the other hand, he looked really good at the begin of this season, so maybe he is a late bloomer and shows this year some improved skills.

but overall I agree with you. he could be one of the best options for 2010. maybe he could develop into a James Posey type player, both are pretty similar (size, body type, abilities, but also the flaws).

kbrury
11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
ehh Im not crazy about James he seems too much like Gist but so far into the season he is shooting the three at a nice clip. If he can consistently shoot the three and show he can play the three position Im all for it, but I don't think his skills will translate well to the next level.

As long as we get Splitter next year I think the number 1 quality the spurs need in a young player is shooting if they are going to keep thier first round pick.

mountainballer
11-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Klay Thompson (son of Mychal Thompson) from Washington State might not declare 2010, but if this season goes on like this, who knows. talking about a pure shooter....this kid hits everything from everywhere. IMO he is totally underrated. (DX has him as #94 prospect and #43 Sophomore)

kbrury
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Klay Thompson (son of Mychal Thompson) from Washington State might not declare 2010, but if this season goes on like this, who knows. talking about a pure shooter....this kid hits everything from everywhere. IMO he is totally underrated. (DX has him as #94 prospect and #43 Sophomore)

Wow he plays the same amount of minutes as he did last year and he has a 16 point increase. Probably caught everyone off gaurd he will probably move up quite a bit on draft boards.

But it looks like he not just a shooter, rebounds and passes at a nice rate. Hope his defense is passable, but Im starting to like him.

mountainballer
11-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow he plays the same amount of minutes as he did last year and he has a 16 point increase. Probably caught everyone off gaurd he will probably move up quite a bit on draft boards.

But it looks like he not just a shooter, rebounds and passes at a nice rate. Hope his defense is passable, but Im starting to like him.

he's limited by his thin frame and he's for sure not an explosive athlete. but he is also only 19, for sure he could put on some weight and strength. despite his limitations, he is not a soft guy, can play tough and he's smart. and he can hit big shots, as seen on the U19 world championship, when he helped team USA to win the gold medal.

kbrury
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Another guy I like is Dasean Butler F he could be picked in the second round but hes having a good season so far. Not the most gifted but is a good shooter and defender.

scottspurs
12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Way too early for this.

kbrury
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Way too early for this.

ok, I think thats been said many times already lol.

mountainballer
12-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Way too early for this.

thanks for your substantial and helpful contribution.
to early? hmm. because we don't know yet if there will be a draft 2010? or because there is a rule that forbids discussions about player prospects till 3 weeks before the draft?
I thought the think tank was opened, to give a place where fans can discuss also topics, that are not so much up-to-the-minute.
and no, I don't think that it is to early to share some observations and thoughts about how some intriguing young players who will be/might be in the next draft are doing in College or Europe.
btw. it's also fun!

kbrury
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
So I was thinking about Jerome Jordan 7 footer from tulsa draft boards have him around where we would probably be. Spurs didn't pick up Ian so he might not be here next year, but if Jordan was there would you pick him I think I would.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerome-Jordan-5160/

We have Blair but he's a different kind of big and we need some size on the frontline especially if Splitter does not come and when Duncan retires.

Also Cousins is as of now around our area on the board but hes the kind of player Spurs don't normally get. But I think his potential is too much to pass up even though he doesn't use it on the defensive side.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeMarcus-Cousins-1318/

Then an interesting option for a second round pick is Artsiom Parakhouski a big mofo from Radford. He plays in a small conference but his stats are great and he has played well against big schools. We could probably stash him in Europe for a few years as hopefully Splitter comes in.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Artsiom-Parakhouski-5690/

outmap
12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Depends on the needs and who's available on the clock:
1st rd:
Big = Jerome Jordan
Guard = Xavier Henry
2nd rd:
Big = Artsiom Parakhouski or Giorgi Shermadini
Guard = Matt Bouldin

outmap
12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Then an interesting option for a second round pick is Artsiom Parakhouski a big mofo from Radford. He plays in a small conference but his stats are great and he has played well against big schools. We could probably stash him in Europe for a few years as hopefully Splitter comes in.

Artsiom is like George Hill at Center. Comes from nowhere but has all the tools to become a good player or even develop to an all-star (someday), hope he goes under the radar so we can pick him up. :toast

angelbelow
12-16-2009, 07:31 PM
For this kind of stuff i usually check out draftexpress.com. they usually have year around updates on potential draft picks.

mountainballer
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
For this kind of stuff i usually check out draftexpress.com. they usually have year around updates on potential draft picks.

DX is the by far best database. but at this point of the year their mock is still very inaccurate IMO.
(no mock in this world, that has Kyle Singler higher than Greg Monroe can be taken serious. well, at least they have moved up Henry to where he belongs)

mountainballer
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I didn't follow the big men as much as the wings till now. maybe a mistake.
Ekpe Udoh from Baylor. wow, what an improvement after he changed the college and didn't play last season.
great season till now and yesterday a career game with 22pts, 16reb and 9 blocks.
a very long 6'10'' power forward with nice range, great mobility, good defense and outstanding shotblocking abilities.
doesn't this sound like the type of player you want to pair with either Splitter and Blair in a future front court?
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ekpe-Udoh-1220/

tomtom
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm really high on Quincy Pondexter. The dude has really broken out this season. He's an excellent 3/4 and is quickly becoming a confident leader. Actually I'd rather see him go to the Blazers to get the Dawgs together haha. Then again I'm pretty biased towards Washington and Oregon teams.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Quincy-Pondexter-1122/

Mal
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Spurs will use 1st round pick on guard, probably PG. Frontcourt will be full, with Duncan, Dice, Blair, probably Spllitter. Too many rookies. Big man signing must be veteran guy.

Second round pick Spurs will use for some european guy, who won`t play in NBA next year.

yavozerb
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Spurs will use 1st round pick on guard, probably PG. Frontcourt will be full, with Duncan, Dice, Blair, probably Spllitter. Too many rookies. Big man signing must be veteran guy.

Second round pick Spurs will use for some european guy, who won`t play in NBA next year.

You can add bonner to that frontcourt list cause pop is not gonna let him go anywhere.... I still believe SF the biggest need for this team and should be addressed if someone is available in the draft. I like Stanley robinson over pondexter at the sf position.

CGD
01-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Do any of ST's international contributors have any insight on who the top 5 euro prospects may be for the 2010 Draft? I can't seem to find substantive online information on point. Thanks!

Bruno
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
If you want to talk about a specific (and relevant) prospect for the 2010 draft, the easiest way to do is to start a thread about him in the Think Thank forum. I will approve it and linked it to the Prospect Index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143701) within a day or two.

Bruno.

benefactor
01-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Good to see you Bruno. :tu

Bruno
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Good to see you Bruno. :tu

:toast

urunobili
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
^^ Bruno sighting... time to start the season then... :tu

Brazil
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
^^ Bruno sighting... time to start the season then... :tu

BPAD: Bruno Peak After December

hsxvvd
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
After spending considerable time on pondering our potential pick, and then turning to NCAA games I had on file, I've reached my decision for my 2010 wish pick.

James Anderson. We need to replace Bogans (quickly), and Anderson has the skills to be the defender we need, plus he has the offensive game to compliment the existing pieces. He may be a little out of our reach as far as selection range, but anything is possible, both with where we'll be picking and where he'll fall.

There are very few "bigs" that appeal to me, Cousins will be long gone, and even if we could, he doesn't fit the "Spurs Type".

The few international bigs, seem to projects, and I'd rather see Splitter come across to address that need.

There seems to be a lot of depth in this draft for swingmen.

AFBlue
02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Anderson would be a very solid pick for the Spurs, given his athleticism and all-around game. I also like Damion James from UT...he's a natural 4, but he's been steadily improving his perimeter game each year.

And both of them are stellar defensively.

Thompson
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Are there any players that are in the 'Bruce Bowen' mold of average offense, but phenomenal defense (especially a long small forward)? Bowen went undrafted, and players like him might drop to the second round because people always want the 'do everything' player. I know there will never be another Bowen, but I sure wish we could find the next best thing.

AFBlue
03-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Are there any players that are in the 'Bruce Bowen' mold of average offense, but phenomenal defense (especially a long small forward)? Bowen went undrafted, and players like him might drop to the second round because people always want the 'do everything' player. I know there will never be another Bowen, but I sure wish we could find the next best thing.

Damian Saunders, a 6'7 210lb junior forward from Duquesne, averages 3.3 blocks and 2.9 steals per game. He also pulls down over 11 boards per game.

The scouting report on ESPNs draft page says he's got length, ahtleticism and a good motor. On the downside, he plays PF as his primary position (would have to switch position in NBA) and Duquesne doesn't exactly play powerhouse teams in a powerhouse conference.

Still, he seems to have the tools and the production is impressive.

Chomag
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Damian Saunders, a 6'7 210lb junior forward from Duquesne, averages 3.3 blocks and 2.9 steals per game. He also pulls down over 11 boards per game.

The scouting report on ESPNs draft page says he's got length, ahtleticism and a good motor. On the downside, he plays PF as his primary position (would have to switch position in NBA) and Duquesne doesn't exactly play powerhouse teams in a powerhouse conference.

Right now Spurs need size more then anything. So I'm not keen on the idea of going for another undersized player that plays a big.

yavozerb
03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
What about tyler smith? The guy has great size at the 3 and can probably be had in the late 1st and maybe even in the 2nd. Of course his off the court problems has been his downfall so far.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Smith-1180/

tp2021
03-03-2010, 11:48 AM

I think that if a player is a consistently good defender, regardless of competition, that it will translate better than an offensive player that has good numbers, but gets them against lowly competition. Defense is more of a constant than offense; an offensive player can get hot in a season but a good defender is called such because they consistently apply pressure to the offensive player, and the pressure is the same regardless of how good the opposing team/player(s) may be.

Bruno
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
A lot of draft talk today, I guess it means it's time to create draft profiles threads. :)

With a 2011 lockout and a new CBA that will likely be less player-friendly, it will be interesting to see underclassmen choice. A lot of them could opt to enter in the draft given the uncertain future. Spurs could have a lot of interesting players available with their first round pick (who won't be a late one).

Brazil
03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
True. Right now the Spurs are sitting on a mid first rounder (20th I think). But still I think the Spurs can get quite the good player. Willie Warren has dropped in the draft to a mid-late first rounder. Would the Spurs draft him and maybe move Parker to a team that missed out on the 2010 FA?

More on that later though. It's a long shot theory I have that Parker will be traded to a team like New York.

Parker playing for New York ? I don't see him leaving the west coast honestly.

lurker23
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Parker playing for New York ? I don't see him leaving the west coast honestly.

Why is that? Not that I really know one way or another what Tony is going to do, but wouldn't being on the east coast make it easier to get back to France? Or were you mostly thinking about the Eva/Hollywood connection?

AFBlue
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Right now Spurs need size more then anything. So I'm not keen on the idea of going for another undersized player that plays a big.

Saunders' NBA future is at SF and he has the requisite athleticism to play there. He's ready from a defensive perspective right now, but his offense is questionable. Because he played as a PF at a small school, he'll likely be a late 2nd or undrafted free agent.

All that led me to classify him as a Bruce Bowen type.

Brazil
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Why is that? Not that I really know one way or another what Tony is going to do, but wouldn't being on the east coast make it easier to get back to France? Or were you mostly thinking about the Eva/Hollywood connection?

the last one

DesignatedT
03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Looking around at realistic options... I think Oklahoma States James Anderson would be a great fit.

Hes averaging like 23 ppg 6 boards a game. He can also shoot the 3. hes got a beautiful stroke from behind the arc.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
True. Right now the Spurs are sitting on a mid first rounder (20th I think). But still I think the Spurs can get quite the good player. Willie Warren has dropped in the draft to a mid-late first rounder. Would the Spurs draft him and maybe move Parker to a team that missed out on the 2010 FA?

More on that later though. It's a long shot theory I have that Parker will be traded to a team like New York.

Don't think the Spurs would draft Warren even if they intended to move Parker, which I also highly doubt, because he duplicates what they already have in George Hill...a score-first combo guard.

I think it makes more sense for the Spurs to go after an athletic swing man to replace RJ in a year or a long athletic shot-blocking big to compliment the current front-court group.

kbrury
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Warren went under season ending ankle surgery a few day ago btw.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Warren went under season ending ankle surgery a few day ago btw.

Interesting. Given his relative down year and now this, I think it's highly unlikely he even declares for the draft this year.

Thompson
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
What are the odds we can get Bosh in a sign-and-trade with Toronto? They speak a mixture of French and English, maybe Parker wouldn't mind it up there. If he still wants to play for the NT I think I'd do it.

Probably about a 2% chance of anything like it ever happening though.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
What are the odds we can get Bosh in a sign-and-trade with Toronto? They speak a mixture of French and English, maybe Parker wouldn't mind it up there. If he still wants to play for the NT I think I'd do it.

Probably about a 2% chance of anything like it ever happening though.

Not sure why you posted in a draft discussion thread, but a S&T in general for Bosh makes some sense. Toronto can offer a year longer than any other team and might be responsive to a trade if it nets them a good player (i.e Parker).

The obvious impediment is that Bosh would have to agree to come to SA on a long-term contract. Given the other attractive locations he could go this summer (i.e. Miami, Chicago, NY, NJ), I don't think San Antonio would be near the top of his list.

I'd put the odds at less than 10% Bosh is involved in a S&T and probably less than 1% that he ends up with the Spurs.

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
With Bruno updating on all the Euro profiles, my question is this...

With only two picks (one first, one second round) and likely some holes to fill, will the Spurs elect to pass on the international crop this year?

Bruno
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
By looking at the standings, Spurs pick should end up between 19th and 22nd.

Anyway, I've added draft profiles for the main prospects. For the moment, I won't add other ones because I want to focus on updating/improving the rest of the Think Tank forum. I will create more draft prospect threads later. If you want to talk about a player who isn't in the database, just create a thread, I will approve it and add it in the Thread index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143701)

AFBlue
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Anyway, I've added draft profiles for the main prospects. For the moment, I won't add other ones because I want to focus on updating/improving the rest of the Think Tank forum. I will create more draft prospect threads later. If you want to talk about a player who isn't in the database, just create a thread, I will approve it and add it in the Thread index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143701)

Great job Bruno. :tu

Thanks a ton! :toast

Bruno
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
You're welcome. :toast

To answer at your question about going international, I think the situation is very different between the first and second round pick.

For the first round pick:
The international crop is quite weak this year. Chances are high that the most interesting players available at that spot are college ones.

For the second round pick:
This pick will be around the 50th one. Finding a quality player that late is never easy. Euro prospects have the huge edge that they can be stashed for years. Spurs had last year 2 picks in that area. The college pick (McClinton) failed while the Euro pick (De Colo) is a work in progress.

I can see Spurs picking a college player with their first round pick and going international with their second round pick.

Thompson
03-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Not sure why you posted in a draft discussion thread, but a S&T in general for Bosh makes some sense. Toronto can offer a year longer than any other team and might be responsive to a trade if it nets them a good player (i.e Parker).

They were discussing trading Parker at the top of the page; also, I was wondering what trading Parker would mean for our draft situation (are there any really good point guards around pick 20?).

wildbill2u
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM

With Parker out for weeks after last night, we could move up several spots in the draft because teams like Grizzlies, Rockets, Heat, Bobcats could wind up with better records. Where do you now estimate we will wind up?

What position/player do you think we need to look at if we move up to the 16-18 range?

Bruno
03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
With Parker out for weeks after last night, we could move up several spots in the draft because teams like Grizzlies, Rockets, Heat, Bobcats could wind up with better records. Where do you now estimate we will wind up?

What position/player do you think we need to look at if we move up to the 16-18 range?

If Memphis and/or Houston caught Spurs, Spurs are a lottery team and their pick will likely be between 12th and 14th. Spurs are 12 games over .500 while Rockets and Grizzlies are 1 game over .500. Spurs have quite a huge margin on them and I don't think they will catch Spurs up.

Spurs have currently the 20th pick with a 36-24 record. Blazers (37-27) could catch them up. Maybe Milwaukee (33-29) too because they are playing well but I doubt it. IMO, Spurs will end up with the 19th or 20th pick.

I don't follow NCAA so I can't tell you what players Spurs need to look at. It's also way too soon to have a good idea of who will be available around the 19 or 20th pick. I think Spurs should go with the best player available. However, going after a PG wouldn't make a lot of sense short term wise (not a lot of minutes available behind TP and I think Hill is too small to be a full time SG).

yavozerb
03-07-2010, 02:20 PM
If Splitter is able to come over then the 2 biggest needs in order will be sg and sf in my opinion. If he does not come over I think the center position would become the biggist need for the spurs. I think this summers FA plan and Draft plan all starts with what Splitter will do.

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I would go with either BPA or a legit SF, assuming Splitter is coming..speaking of Splitter, I don't remember when he made his decision last year, but should we expect a decision to come before the NBA draft?..

DPG21920
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I am sure he will tell the team his intentions as early as possible so they can plan accordingly. I am sure once his season ends, and it is ok to discuss such things, something will be decided.

Blackjack
03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I would go with either BPA or a legit SF, assuming Splitter is coming..speaking of Splitter, I don't remember when he made his decision last year, but should we expect a decision to come before the NBA draft?..

I haven't seen it posted or anyone talking about it, but RC had an interview on the local ESPN show stating that they did expect Splitter to be here next year. In a vacuum you wouldn't think much of it but with the way he tried to lower expectations for Tiago (saying they only know he's a good European player; certainly no Robinson or savior), it was easy to read into the comments.

Bottom line, rightly or wrongly, I've heard enough from RC and Lindsey to believe that Splitter is in fact coming over in their view; which could have very well played into their decision to not strongly pursue Thomas or another big that would need minutes next year.

AFBlue
03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I am sure he will tell the team his intentions as early as possible so they can plan accordingly. I am sure once his season ends, and it is ok to discuss such things, something will be decided.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but I don't expect Splitter to be committal before the draft, nor do I expect the Spurs to draft based on his decision one way or the other.

The Spurs will draft as they always do, based on their assessment of the individual talent. I don't expect them to pass on a quality big and go with a "need" pick at another position just because they think they've got Splitter lined up.

That said, personally I'd like to see them go after a wing player if the right one is still on the board when they pick.

Bruno
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
The Splitter situation will likely be known well before the draft. Caja Laboral season should end in early June. Splitter situation should be known few days after it.

And even if Splitter comes to SA, I would be all for drafting a bigman if he is the BPA.

AFBlue
03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
The Splitter situation will likely be known well before the draft. Caja Laboral season should end in early June. Splitter situation should be known few days after it.

And even if Splitter comes to SA, I would be all for drafting a bigman if he is the BPA.

I was speaking about Splitter signing a contract, not a verbal agreement one way or the other. Are they able to actually sign him before the draft?

Either way, like you said I think they go for a big if he's the BPA.

aquiet20&10
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
edwin ubiles from siena kinda intrigues me. has length at 6'6 to potentially guard 1, 2, and 3's. smooth player, decent jumpshot from what ive seen, good footwork, shows some ability to get to the rim, good athleticism. he needs to add strength to help him finish around the rim with contact. other than that, i think he looks like the typical "out of nowhere" pick that the spurs are used to making and he seems to have the tools to help us on the wing in the future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjxxrYU1VQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLdi0T6KmyU

Bruno
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/23/jones-submits-name-nba-draft/

According to a new NCAA rule, underclassmen who want to maintain their eligibility must pull their name out of the NBA draft by 5 p.m. on May 8. In the past, they could wait until June 15 without penalty.

I didn't knew they changed the rule. How do you think it will affect the draft?

mountainballer
03-26-2010, 04:08 AM
less time for underclassmen to travel around like Clooney in up in the air searching for a 1st round promise.
effect might be, that several of the borderline 1st rounders decide to stay at school.
overall it should help the teams, especially those teams that pick in the end of 1st round area. (including the Spurs).
till last season teams worked out dozens of players and couldn't be sure that this players will stay in the draft, because they could pull out till 10 days before draft night.
now they will work out players, who they know will be on the board in June. should give the teams more time and opportunity to really evaluate the players they like. could probably even help to reduce the number of draft busts.

mountainballer
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM
I keep an eye on Sylven Landesberg (who might not declare 2010 though), he has a lot of potential for the role I think the Spurs need to fill in the future. long, tough, smart, good ball handler, tons of undeveloped potential. (he is just 19). IMO a Josh Childress type player in the making?

DX has this as part of an article today:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NCAA-Weekly-Performers-32510-3420/

After two seasons at Virginia, Sylven Landesberg’s college basketball career appears to be over, as the school announced that he’ll be dropping out to “pursue his professional aspirations.”

funny detail. (well at least for me). seems as if he has some connections to Austria (would also explain his name, that is typical Austrian).

He’s rumored to potentially be able to acquire an Israeli or Austrian passport sometime down the road
he definitely is an interesting prospect, probably not for the 1st rounder, but for the 2nd rounder for sure.

kbrury
03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
So kinda going off the the great game last night how do you feel about Jacob pullen or Denis Clemente as a possible 3rd PG? Well Pullen will most likely stay for his Senior season but the spurs could maybe invite Clemente to camp after the draft because he probably won't be drafted.

Bruno
04-03-2010, 05:46 AM
A little look at where Spurs pick will be:

17th pick: Milwaukee 41-34
18th pick: Miami 42-34
19th pick: Portland 46-30
20th pick: San Antonio 46-29
21st pick: Oklahoma City 46-28
22nd pick: Boston 47-28
23rd pick: Atlanta 48-27
24th pick: Denver 49-27
25th pick: Utah 50-27
26th pick: Dallas 50-26

Milawaukee and Miami are likely too far to catch up Spurs. On the other side, there are 5 teams with only 1 or 2 more losses than SA. If Spurs end well the season, they could catch up some of these teams.

Spurs will at best get the 19th pick. On the other side, catching up Atlanta, Denver or Utah won't be easy so Spurs realistic worst case for the pick is 22nd.

lurker23
04-03-2010, 06:21 AM
A little look at where Spurs pick will be:

17th pick: Milwaukee 41-34
18th pick: Miami 42-34
19th pick: Portland 46-30
20th pick: San Antonio 46-29
21st pick: Oklahoma City 46-28
22nd pick: Boston 47-28
23rd pick: Atlanta 48-27
24th pick: Denver 49-27
25th pick: Utah 50-27
26th pick: Dallas 50-26

Milawaukee and Miami are likely too far to catch up Spurs. On the other side, there are 5 teams with only 1 or 2 more losses than SA. If Spurs end well the season, they could catch up some of these teams.

Spurs will at best get the 19th pick. On the other side, catching up Atlanta, Denver or Utah won't be easy so Spurs realistic worst case for the pick is 22nd.

Thanks Bruno! It'll be somewhat odd (and exciting) to have a pick in the high teens or low 20s. Just goes to show how spoiled Spurs fans have been that we just assume our pick will be somewhere around 26-30.

AFBlue
04-09-2010, 11:46 AM
In and out so far according to ESPN Insider...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut-2010

In the draft
Players who officially have declared for the 2010 NBA draft

* To preserve eligibility, player has not hired an agent

Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas
Al-Farouq Aminu, F, Wake Forest
James Anderson, G, Oklahoma State
Eric Bledsoe, PG, Kentucky*
Craig Brackins, F, Iowa State
Avery Bradley, G, Texas*
DeMarcus Cousins, F/C, Kentucky
Jordan Crawford, SG, Xavier*
Kenneth Faried, PF, Morehead State*
Jimmer Fredette, PG, BYU*
Charles Garcia, F, Seattle
Paul George, F, Fresno State
Manny Harris, G, Michigan
Jeremy Hazell, SG, Seton Hall*
Xavier Henry, G, Kansas
Dominique Jones, SG, South Florida
Sylven Landesberg, SG, Virginia
Gani Lawal, F, Georgia Tech*
Tommy Mason-Griffin, PG, Oklahoma
A.J. Ogilvy, C, Vanderbilt*
Daniel Orton, C, Kentucky*
Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky
Herb Pope, PF, Seton Hall*
Lance Stephenson, G/F, Cincinnati
Evan Turner, G/F, Ohio State
Alex Tyus, PF, Florida*
John Wall, PG, Kentucky
Hassan Whiteside, F/C, Marshall
Chris Wright, SF, Dayton*
Willie Warren, G, Oklahoma
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International
International players under 22 years old who have declared or are likely to declare

Robin Benzing, F, Germany
Mario Delas, F, Croatia
Donatas Motiejunas, F, Lithuania
Kevin Seraphin, PF, France
Jan Vesely, F/C, Czech Republic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out
Players who have officially announced they will return to college next year

Elias Harris, F, Gonzaga
John Henson, F, North Carolina
Nolan Smith, G, Duke
Jeff Taylor, F, Vanderbilt
Wesley Witherspoon, F, Memphis

This isn't the complete article as I've left out the blurbs on each player that has entered and didn't include the "50/50" and "Foot in the door" sections because they're speculative.

It's shaping up to be a nice, deep draft.

Bruno
04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
^ Yes, a lot of players have enter in the draft. I guess it's because they feared the new CBA.
I use the nbadraft early entry list to add profiles:
http://www.nbadraft.net/2010earlyentry

With Manu extension and Splitter being the first priority for this season, SF seems to be the position where there is the biggest need for Spurs.
If the best SF available is or is close to the best player available, Spurs should go with the SF.

AFBlue
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
^ Yes, a lot of players have enter in the draft. I guess it's because they feared the new CBA.
I use the nbadraft early entry list to add profiles:
http://www.nbadraft.net/2010earlyentry

With Manu extension and Splitter being the first priority for this season, SF seems to be the position where there is the biggest need for Spurs.
If the best SF available is or is close to the best player available, Spurs should go with the SF.

Thanks for that link.

Also, I agree on your assessment of the Spurs' greatest position of need going into the draft. While I still think there's a chance they go with a long, athletic shot-blocker (Udoh, Whiteside, Sanders), I think it's much more likely they look to the wing (Pondexter, George, Ebanks, Hayward, Anderson).

pad300
04-09-2010, 05:33 PM
While SF does seem to be the priority position, the spurs do seem to be in a position to draft best player available. Next year, we can put together a pretty solid 8 man rotation without drafting anyone
PG - Parker, Hill
Wing - Manu, Jefferson, Hill
Big - Duncan, Splitter, Blair, McDyess
Although the wing spot is a little thin, we have 3 prospects for it in system already - Gee, Hairston, Temple... If Bogans is back at the vet min (which given Pops affection, "centerpiece", seem likely. Goddamnit!)...

I am personally hoping that Vesely falls due to being a Euro under contract without a buyout...

mountainballer
04-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I still think that one of the many lottery projected big men might fall and that then the Spurs just react and pick him. (some mocks currently see Motiejunas drop)
however, one thing can be taken for fact, there will be at least 5 intriguing SFs or combo forwards on the board when Spurs pick.

AFBlue
04-10-2010, 12:10 AM
While SF does seem to be the priority position, the spurs do seem to be in a position to draft best player available. Next year, we can put together a pretty solid 8 man rotation without drafting anyone
PG - Parker, Hill
Wing - Manu, Jefferson, Hill
Big - Duncan, Splitter, Blair, McDyess
Although the wing spot is a little thin, we have 3 prospects for it in system already - Gee, Hairston, Temple... If Bogans is back at the vet min (which given Pops affection, "centerpiece", seem likely. Goddamnit!)...

I am personally hoping that Vesely falls due to being a Euro under contract without a buyout...

Not only is the wing position already the weakest, I would say that RJs spot on this team is the most tenuous (likely gone after next season if not sooner). Whereas other positions have significant long-term options (PG/SG Hill, PF Blair, C Splitter?), SF has a gaping hole.

And while Hairston and Gee show some promise, a mid-first draft pick in this potentially deep draft likely exceeds their talent and upside.

Still, with so many long athletic power forwards available there just may be a legit lottery talent that falls in their lap.

AFBlue
04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I still think that one of the many lottery projected big men might fall and that then the Spurs just react and pick him. (some mocks currently see Motiejunas drop)
however, one thing can be taken for fact, there will be at least 5 intriguing SFs or combo forwards on the board when Spurs pick.

This is what I'm hoping for...

It starts with Pondexter, but the list runs deep...Ebanks, George, Robinson, Hayward, James, Anderson. Each has somewhat of a different skill set, but all of them have legit starting potential long-term, IMO.

tothrowed
04-10-2010, 12:56 AM
take crawford, or avery bradley

mountainballer
04-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I think the re signing of Manu might have (better: will have) a big effect on who the Spurs draft.
by signing Manu for three years and paying him big money the Spurs committed them self to at least two more seasons of trying to win it all before the re building process is started.
and the Spurs have only 7 players under (guaranteed) contracts for next season and only the MLE and BAE available. assuming most of the MLE goes to Splitter, they can almost only fill the roster with minimum players.
so it makes more sense to go for a NBA ready player and to go for a player, who fills the more urgent need. big man isn't urgent with Tim, Dice, Splitter and Blair and guard also isn't that urgent with Tony, Hill and Manu.
this brings it down again to the athletic SF, who can also play some PF.
considering that "NBA ready" in Pop terms means "able to defend" in the first place, it would come down to 3 logical candidates (in that order):
Pondexter
James
Robinson
in the current situation this 3 could have the edge over George and Ebanks, who might have more upside in the long run and also over Singler and Hayward, who look like good fits, but likely lack the athleticism and defensive potential to compete in the role the Spurs would need them right away.

Bruno
04-10-2010, 04:16 PM
IMO, if Spurs draft a SF, it will be with 2011-2012 as goal and the idea of not re-signing RJ in 2011

For next year, RJ will be the stating SF. I can see Spurs signing a cheap vet FA (Bogans?) and let him fight with the 1st round pick, Hairston and Gee for the backup SF spot.

mountainballer
04-12-2010, 04:33 AM
the RJ announcement, that he thinks about opting out, (plus his comments about not fitting with the Spurs) even more pushes the Spurs to draft a SF. and the "NBA ready" criteria might become even more substantial.
draft will be on June 24th and the opt out deadline is June 30th. Spurs can't know 100% what will be going on with RJ, when they draft.

btw. who do you guys think is the most NBA ready SF in this draft?
probably Damion James. maybe this would also be a point for Singler. (on the other hand, if Spurs lose their best athlete in RJ, they would also need to look for a compareable athlete and that again would be James, Robinson or Pondexter)

hsxvvd
04-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Singler would be a good fit. He can shoot as good as any prospect in the draft, and the most impressive part of the NCAA Tournament was his defence. He shut down Dunn, Butler and Mack in consecutive games they combined shot 15-40 and all three where major scoring SHOOTING GUARDS, which also say something about his mobility.

AFBlue
04-14-2010, 05:42 PM
the RJ announcement, that he thinks about opting out, (plus his comments about not fitting with the Spurs) even more pushes the Spurs to draft a SF. and the "NBA ready" criteria might become even more substantial.
draft will be on June 24th and the opt out deadline is June 30th. Spurs can't know 100% what will be going on with RJ, when they draft.

btw. who do you guys think is the most NBA ready SF in this draft?
probably Damion James. maybe this would also be a point for Singler. (on the other hand, if Spurs lose their best athlete in RJ, they would also need to look for a compareable athlete and that again would be James, Robinson or Pondexter)

Outside of Wes Johnson, I don't really think there are any SFs that have NBA-ready games. Most of the guys you mentioned (James, Robinson, Pondexter) and a couple you didn't (Ebanks, George) spent significant time at the 4 for their teams, so their development as perimeter players has been hindered.

Singler and Hayward probably have the most all-around skill of the SFs available, and I'd give the edge to Hayward because of his sneaky athleticism.

One guy that seems to have a completely different skill set from the others is James Anderson. He is a natural SG, but looks to have the size and length to play SF as well. I don't think you'll find as NBA-ready a scorer as Anderson, when comparing him to the group above. But, he doesn't come without questions either (i.e. ball-handling and defense).

I don't pretend to know where the Spurs will go on draft night ("George who? What is IUPUI?"), but if I were drafting in the mid-first I'd say...

1. Pondexter - Energetic high-flyer with developing perimeter skills
2. Hayward - Gamer with good inside-out skill and sneaky athleticism
3. Anderson - Top notch scorer and shooter

The rest...known quantities (James, Singler, Robinson) and unknown quantities (George, Ebanks).

Honestly though, I wouldn't be displeased with any of these guys.

Bruno
04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Spurs, Celtics, Blazers and Thunder all end the season with a 50-32 record.
These teams will get picks between 19th and 22nd.

Ties will be broken with coin flips. If it's like in previous years, it will be this Friday.

Thompson
04-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Spurs, Celtics, Blazers and Thunder all end the season with a 50-32 record.
These teams will get picks between 19th and 22nd.

Ties will be broken with coin flips. If it's like in previous years, it will be this Friday.

Hopefully we get 19th, but anything before the freakin' Blazers is a plus. Until they buy the pick right before ours and take who we want anyway. :smchode:

Bruno
04-16-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/16/draft.order/index.html

Spurs have been lucky with coin flips and get the 20th and 49th picks. They are in a good position for the draft. Even their second round pick could fetch something interesting.

The maximum salary the 20th pick can get in his first year is $1.36M. It's still reasonable and it won't hurt too much Spurs financially wise.

AFBlue
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks Bruno...we knew that they would be in this draft range, but having both Presti and Pritchard drafting behind them instead of in front of them is a god send!

jesterbobman
04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
20 and 49 is pretty good. I'd guess that the Blazers and OKC are looking for a Big with their picks(With Oden Pryzbilla injuries, and having Kopponen stashed as a PG project and OKC being fairly set in the backcourt). Boston, probably a 2/3 who can shoot, depending on what they do with Nate.

Anyway there should still be a number of SF's available when we pick.

Mark in Austin
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks Bruno...we knew that they would be in this draft range, but having both Presti and Pritchard drafting behind them instead of in front of them is a god send!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pritchard trying like crazy to move ahead of San Antonio.

Bruno
04-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Spurs have so much players in the pipeline that I can see them going with an international player with the 49th pick. The problem is that the 88 class looked like crap.

Maybe Spurs have found some hidden international gem but it looked like the best option will be to trade the 49th pick. Teams with cap space usually have very few players under contracts and they could be interested in that pick.

mountainballer
04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Celtics pick ahead of us isn't that ideal, their needs are pretty similar and I think they will see similar players as a good fit for their team. of course, a lot will depend on Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Robinson and Daniels, if they are already re signed on draft night. but whatever happen with them, the Celtics could use an atheltic long SF as well as the Spurs. so my guess is, they draft the player who is the closest to a 2nd James Posey. (Damion James?)

agree that Pritchard once more will be very active to move up. and I think there is a realistic chance he gets the #16 pick from the Wolves. (or they swap with Allen shipping a ton of money to Minny).
however, I don't see the Blazers focus on the same players this time. Roy-Fernandez and Batum-Webster give them a great solution for SG and SF for years to come. I rather see them reach for Bledsoe.

jesterbobman
04-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I think that the Celtics will be looking for either a Posey like guy for small ball type situations and defending big SFs, or a shooter(To replace the Eddy House type role). The SF look may take away the guy we want.

Also, of note(Though, this far out, no way to know if it's true) DX now has Daniel Orton going 14th in their mock. If he moves up, there is a higher chance someone falls to us, as I think mostly we've been thinking he'd go well after that.

Another thing to consider when looking at Mocks, is that generally team need are not used. While it probably doesn't make that much of a difference(Wall is going at the top just about regardless of team), but if we're looking at who we could possibly get, It may affect who we think of(slightly).

mountainballer
04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Another thing to consider when looking at Mocks, is that generally team need are not used. While it probably doesn't make that much of a difference(Wall is going at the top just about regardless of team), but if we're looking at who we could possibly get, It may affect who we think of(slightly).

I hope (and think) that if the teams needs are factored in, it will make it an even more promising picture for the Spurs.
aside the Celtics, who definitely have similar needs, none of the 10 teams to pick ahead of the Spurs look as if SF was their priority need. some might still pick in that pool, when they think a SF is the BPA, but most will go for either a big or a guard.

#19 - Celtics: definitely need an athletic defensive long SF
#18 - Heat: don't have a big under contract and can play Beasley at SF
#17 - Bulls: have Deng and Johnson
#16 - Wolves: might take a SF, but still have Brewer and Gomes
#15 - Bucks: have Ilyasova, Delfino, Mbah
#14 - Rockets: Ariza and Battier
#13 - Raptors: Hedo and DeRozan
#12 - Grizzlies: Gay(re signed?), Young, Brewer
#11 - Hornets: their SFs are all washed up, should pick a SF
#10 - Pacers: Granger, Dunleavy, Rush, Jones

AFBlue
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I hope (and think) that if the teams needs are factored in, it will make it an even more promising picture for the Spurs.
aside the Celtics, who definitely have similar needs, none of the 10 teams to pick ahead of the Spurs look as if SF was their priority need. some might still pick in that pool, when they think a SF is the BPA, but most will go for either a big or a guard.

#19 - Celtics: definitely need an athletic defensive long SF
#18 - Heat: don't have a big under contract and can play Beasley at SF
#17 - Bulls: have Deng and Johnson
#16 - Wolves: might take a SF, but still have Brewer and Gomes
#15 - Bucks: have Ilyasova, Delfino, Mbah
#14 - Rockets: Ariza and Battier
#13 - Raptors: Hedo and DeRozan
#12 - Grizzlies: Gay(re signed?), Young, Brewer
#11 - Hornets: their SFs are all washed up, should pick a SF
#10 - Pacers: Granger, Dunleavy, Rush, Jones

Good breakdown. The Hornets and Celts seem like the only locks outside the top 10 to draft a SF, and with more than 2 legitimate mid-first talents at the position the Spurs look to be in good shape.

jesterbobman
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Also, in a similar way, Teams are unlikely to go the TWolves route and draft 3 players at the same position. E.g, say the TWolves get Turner at their 1st pick. With Brewer playing well, SF would seem to be solved, so they could reach on a Centre(Orton, Alabi) who would be valuable to them in filling a need, but aren't the SF we're looking at. Also, teams will probably be drafting with an eye on free agency, e.g, Bulls pick will be effected by who they think they can get. If they think they'll get Boozer, a SG (Henry) makes a lot of sense, If they think they'll get Joe Johnson, A PF makes sense(Sanders?). Not the only factor, but I'd assume it's factored in.

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Wolves are always unpredictable. they have 3 1st rounders. may spend all on SFs and then trow their whole cap space at Rudy Gay.
good chance that they waive Gomes to gain more cap space. (Gomes would be a nice pick up for the BAE, but he will likely get more from other teams).

what they for sure need is shooting. Ellington is good, but not enough (especially if Gomes leaves) whoever they pick on #1-#5, it won't be a shooter. Henry likely won't be on the board at #16 (if he falls that far, they should pick him there). maybe James Anderson makes the most sens for them at this point.

Bruno
04-20-2010, 03:57 AM
The Hornets and Celts seem like the only locks outside the top 10 to draft a SF

Celtics could very well draft a SF but they aren't lock to do so. Drafting a SG or a combo guard also makes a lot of sense for them.

IknowU
04-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Is rubio allowed to enter the draft again?

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Celtics could very well draft a SF but they aren't lock to do so. Drafting a SG or a combo guard also makes a lot of sense for them.

will depend on the 2 Allens. they are limited with their options, so I think they will re sign both. Ray Allen turns 35, but he still is a great player. they can't find a better SG in free agency. 2012 is their rebuilding deadline, so I guess Ray will be re signed for two more years. and Tony Allen still is their best perimeter defender.
however, if they like a guard at #19 (Anderson? Bledsoe? Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams ?), of course it also makes sense. they also need to look for the time beyond 2012 and they likely won't re sign Robinson and Daniels. (they are not even part of the PO rotation)

jesterbobman
04-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I also think that Anderson makes sense for the Wolves. I think a Turner-Anderson-Alabi draft would be about as good as they could hope for, though I think anything is possible, including a 16/23/2011 2nd package to move up to get another lottery prospect. (Also, when does Pekovic's contract expire? 2010?, 2011?).

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Pekovic contract expires 2011. he makes big money in Greece. (reportedly about 5 million $ net.). won't be cheap for the Wolves to bring him in.

AFBlue
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Perhaps "lock" was too strong a word. Nothing is really a lock when it comes to the draft.

mountainballer
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Anderson, Lawal and (a bit surprising) Babbitt have hired an agent, so they are in for good.
Babbitt compensates a bit for Singler, so the SF and combo forward pool for mid to end 1st round stays deep.

Bruno
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Arn Tellem is criticizing the new deadline for college early entrants:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arn-tellem/i-declare_b_545509.html

It's a nice read and it's hard not to agree with him.

jesterbobman
04-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Well Vesely not being in is a bit of a shock, and the DX report of Montejunas possibly pulling out also takes out someone who could possibly be picked ahead of us(he should be picked before 20). I think it limits our options a bit, But we'll still have someone fairly similar in ability to who's projected(If we're thinking Robinson, Hayward, George, Pondexter), It's probably likely that 1 more will be gone(With a big likely also moving up if Montejunas also comes out). We'll probably have a choice of 3 or 4 solid SF/Combo Forward prospects, rather than 4/5 guys.

I also think that in thinking of who the Spurs will draft, We should think of looking at the General thinking of the Spurs Organisation. Blair was somewhat of a no-brainer pick, but he looked excellent statistically in advanced statistics. George Hill was a shock to us, But played on a top defensive team in advanced statistics and was high in other advanced stats(http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/George-Hill-5067/). Brent Barry was picked up after being at the top of the league in TS%. Also, the obvious general team focus on defence for the last few decades.

With all that, I think we can probably guess that we'll get a player that is highly efficient offensively(TS%, Turnovers etc), Will be able to fit in the team defensive concepts, and will probably fill a need. There's not a huge difference between James, Pondexter, Babbitt, Robinson and George in terms of efficiency, Though I'd guess the Spurs will do some stats work to seperate them all.

AFBlue
04-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I saw some discussion in the Paul George thread about him and another SF prospect, Quincy Pondexter. The two seem to be the favorites by this board right now to get selected by the Spurs in the first round.

Here's my thoughts...the George v. Pondexter debate is an interesting one, but I really see two different players.

Pondexter is a slasher that uses his quick first step to get to the rim and his big physical profile to finish. He has shown development in his perimeter shot, but he attempted less than 1 1/2 college 3s per game. Given his reported work ethic, it's reasonable to assume he'll work on it, but it's still "projection" at this point.

George, conversely, is a spot-up shooter. He does use his nice speed/athleticism to get out on the break and finish in transition, but unlike Pondexter he's doesn't utilize it much in the half-court. His half-court offense (coming off screens, pick and roll, iso, etc.) is what remains "projection" for him.

As to whether Pondexter or George is "more ready", I'd say it's a function of what the Spurs would ask of them. George is more ready to sit in the corner and wait for the ball rotation to hit the spot up 3, while Pondexter is more ready to drive to the bucket and put pressure on the D.

Personally, I'd go with Pondexter for a few reasons...

1. I'd rather "project" shooting the ball than half-court execution. Take the player with the aggressive streak and teach them how to shoot, they become versatile while still defaulting to that killer instinct.

2. The system seems to be able to integrate another slasher. Now, a couple years ago I'd have gone George all the way because he seems to more seamlessly fit the current system. But as Richard Jefferson has proven, the Spurs are able to find plays and situations to include aggressive offensive players. I think when RJ leaves, if the Spurs went with Pondexter there would be a seamless transition.

3. Defense and motor are already there. Based on the scouting reports, most agree that while George has the physical tools to succeed as a defender, he just hasn't been consistent in doing so. There have also been questions about whether he gives consistent effort on the court. In Pondexter you don't have those questions and you know you can count on his effort and intensity to be there night in an night out.

I do think that George would still be a good fit and have hope that if the Spurs select him they believe he can reach his potential.

mountainballer
04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
great post and well written. congratulations. agree on all points.
I would also pick Pondexter over George in the current situation, exactly because of this points.
it try to add some more arguments for Pondexter.

-he can get to the line at will (on college level), that's something that usually translates well to the NBA. Spurs will need this in the next seasons as Tim, Manu and Jefferson are regressing significantly in this area and Hill isn't above average as well. pondexter could develop an offensive game similar to Maggette. (who the Spurs wanted last year)
-he shots pretty well and high percentage of the dribble, that's a good sign that he has fundamentals to build on. he will become a better shooter.
-his defensive skills are not only based on his quickness and athleticism. he knows very well how to move and rotate, which will be the crucial point to become a contributor for the Spurs right away.

back to George. if the Spurs don't think the pick is relevant for the next 2 years, because they think about bring in a more seasoned wing player, they should go with George, who has the higher ceiling.

lurker23
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Great posts AFBlue and mountainballer. I like Pondexter a lot, but I'm biased being a Washington fan. While I'd be perfectly happy with a Pondexter pick, I won't be too upset if they pass on him. I've come to trust the Spurs scouting department, so if they decide to go with another SF or big man, I'll be very fine with it. On the other hand, if they go for a guard (unless someone REALLY drops), I'll be very perplexed.

kobyz
04-28-2010, 01:29 AM
i think Quincy Pondexter has Richard Jefferson style of play and that not the best for our system like we see RJ this year, i think Paul George better fit for our system and he also has more potential.

AFBlue
04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
i think Quincy Pondexter has Richard Jefferson style of play and that not the best for our system like we see RJ this year, i think Paul George better fit for our system and he also has more potential.

I think RJs style of play gets a bad rap because he makes $15M and disappears for long stretches...but to me that's on the person not the skill-set.

When RJ is slashing off picks, iso-ing from the post and driving or cutting to the basket off the ball he's actually a very effective player. It's just that he isn't consistently aggressive in doing those things and that translates to fewer touches and less efficiency.

Everything you read about Pondexter is that he relentlessly attacks the rim and that he does so in a half-court offense using several different sets. If Pondexter develops the reliable 18-20ft jumper then he becomes RJ-like...only a more aggressive version that's paid 1/15th the price.

My last point about why it would work...this is not the "4-down" offense of the late 90s/early 2000s where the ball would be tossed into Duncan, he'd wait for the double-team, and then pass out to open shooters. While there's still a role on this team for shooters (b/c of drive-and-kick), there will always be a place for player that can put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket when the shots aren't falling.

I do think Pondexter would have to develop a reliable corner 3pt shot to be most effective, but in my opinion the notion that his style of play doesn't fit the Spurs' offense doesn't bear out.

mountainballer
04-29-2010, 04:04 AM
My last point about why it would work...this is not the "4-down" offense of the late 90s/early 2000s where the ball would be tossed into Duncan, he'd wait for the double-team, and then pass out to open shooters. While there's still a role on this team for shooters (b/c of drive-and-kick), there will always be a place for player that can put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket when the shots aren't falling.

yes. there was a reason why the Spurs tried to get Maggette 2008 and why they traded for RJ last summer. Pop saw the need for another slasher. the point that RJ turned out to be a bad fit doesn't prove that this type of player is a bad fit in general.
and IMO the major criteria won't be the offensive style anyhow. it will be the stopper potential and Pondexter does have this potential. looking at the players, who likely will play a role in the Spurs future after Tim, we have Hill, maybe Tony, Splitter, Blair. maybe De Colo. so there is room and need for a defensive specialist, who can defend multiple positions.
some of the NBA comparisons for Pondexter are pretty interesting in this regard. Pietrus for example. Posey, Mbah, Bobby Simmons, some others.

Bruno
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/29/draft.list/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

AFBlue
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/29/draft.list/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Thanks! :toast

Players who entered can still withdraw though...right?

coyotes_geek
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
They can withdraw up until June 14th.

mountainballer
04-30-2010, 06:36 AM
DX comment about Beaubois and that he is a good example how important that type of quick combo guards is in todays NBA. (yes. see also Hill)

makes me wonder if this players will also be picked a bit higher than expected.
thinking about Eric Bledsoe, Dominique Jones, Armon Johnson, Avery Bradley. all currently projected bottom 1st to high 2nd round.

Darkwaters
04-30-2010, 09:18 AM
DX comment about Beaubois and that he is a good example how important that type of quick combo guards is in todays NBA. (yes. see also Hill)

makes me wonder if this players will also be picked a bit higher than expected.
thinking about Eric Bledsoe, Dominique Jones, Armon Johnson, Avery Bradley. all currently projected bottom 1st to high 2nd round.

I'm fine with that. It just means more players will slide our direction.

Bruno
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks! :toast

Players who entered can still withdraw though...right?

Yes, they can (up until June 14th as said before).

NCAA players must now withdraw before May 8th to keep their college eligibility. Given that there is only one meaningful international early entrant (Motiejunas), we will have an almost full picture of the landscape for Spurs first round pick in one week.

Speculations on who will be in the mix for #20 will start damn early this year.

Bruno
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Anyone know when the lottery will be? A quick google search didn't give me a date.

May 18th.

There are some draft infos in the first post of this thread (including key dates).

jesterbobman
05-03-2010, 03:41 AM
I know that there is naturally a lot of focus on what we'll do with 20, but Do people have any thoughts on who we could possibly target with the 49th pick. While it's unlikely that that player would be on the roster next year, we could get someone interesting in Europe or someone who is undervalued or is limited but could fulfil a specific role. If we're presuming that SF is taken in the 1st(Which seems natural given the talent there and the need), I'd say we're looking at Centre projects(Artsiom Parakhouski, Jerome Jordan etc) or best available Euro, unless someone really significantly drops, in which case take them.

mountainballer
05-03-2010, 04:23 AM
I know that there is naturally a lot of focus on what we'll do with 20, but Do people have any thoughts on who we could possibly target with the 49th pick. While it's unlikely that that player would be on the roster next year, we could get someone interesting in Europe or someone who is undervalued or is limited but could fulfil a specific role. If we're presuming that SF is taken in the 1st(Which seems natural given the talent there and the need), I'd say we're looking at Centre projects(Artsiom Parakhouski, Jerome Jordan etc) or best available Euro, unless someone really significantly drops, in which case take them.

we have had some discussions about using the 2nd rounder in the Tyler Smith thread.
(reason was that Smith, after being kicked out of Tennessee, played very good in Europe). Smith would have some steal potential at #49 and he would be intriguing, because he likely would agree to stay in Europe for one or two more seasons.
in general I don't think there is any chance the Spurs will bring in the #49 pick next season. (more likely they trade this pick IMO)
so, if they don't plan to bring the pick immediately, it's also not that important to look at at roster needs.
best player available. pick and stash. bring in 2011 the earliest.
(and this BPA could be the mentioned Tyler Smith)

right now it looks as if De Colo is developing into another international steal for the Spurs. might convince them to go that route this draft either. even if this years international pool looks pretty poor.
Milan Macvan and Pablo Aguilar could be interesting for a long term plan.
(both might withdraw though)
I don't think Raduljica will still be on the board at #49, but if he was, he would be a great option.

Darkwaters
05-03-2010, 04:45 AM
I personally think Dexter Pittman would be a great pickup at 49. Of course, he would be on the roster next season and not in Europe. But for a 6th bigman, and an Austin project, I think he would be a great choice. Many of the mocks are showing him being there at 49 too, but I think he might just just out of reach for us.

International or trade is probably the way to go.

I'll elaborate on that later. Gotta run...

Bruno
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
At 49, Spurs should go with 1988 born French player Steeve Ho You Fat.
He isn't very good but he will be the NBA player with the coolest name ever. I want a "Ho You Fat" Spurs jersey.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Quick reference for who is staying in the draft/signed with an agent:

http://www.draftexpress.com/2010-draft-prospect-agent-list.php

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
^^^ thanks for the link.

Good to see that there's only one guy in the top 20 with a question mark by his name. That means any withdrawls from the draft shouldn't affect the Spurs 1st round pick.

mountainballer
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
i fear it's some more than one.
in our draft range (or higher) it's Motniejunas, Hayward, Ebanks, Beldsoe, Orton, Crawford, Bradley. (maybe I missed someone)

Darkwaters
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
in our draft range (or higher) it's Motniejunas, Hayward, Ebanks, Beldsoe, Orton, Crawford, Bradley. (maybe I missed someone)

Thats fine. At this point I have eyes only for Quincy Pondexter and Paul George.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
With the #49 I can see them go for a potential microwave player, like they tried to do with Jack McClinton. With guys like Jodie Meeks and Marcus Thornton having success picked late, and possibly few foreign guys looking great, I can see that happening. Clearly they knew they needed scoring punch off the bench, and are willing to take an undersized player to get it, and especially with the rigor mortis setting in on Roger Mason as a Spur, they'll need to find this in free agency and the draft.

Darkwaters
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I personally think Dexter Pittman would be a great pickup at 49. Of course, he would be on the roster next season and not in Europe. But for a 6th bigman, and an Austin project, I think he would be a great choice. Many of the mocks are showing him being there at 49 too, but I think he might just just out of reach for us.

International or trade is probably the way to go.

I'll elaborate on that later. Gotta run...

Ok, sorry. I got interupted earlier by a patient with a dislocated wrist. The nerve of some people!

I'm definitely high on Dexter Pittman as a 6th big. He offers you the ability to stash him in Austin and I think he could produce in limited minutes right now as a low minutes dreadnaught style big. Might be useful against teams like LA. But I definitely see the fruits of drafting international - as weak as this year's crop may be. I called De Colo last year at 51 last year (we took him at 53) so I get a kick out of guessing the late round picks. Here are some other potentials I'd like at 49 next year (not in any order):

Greivis Vazquez - combo PG. May not be as necessary with De Colo on the rise. Seems to have some skill. Slotted to go higher than our pick, but I can see him falling easy.

Milan Macvan - I'm not sure if hes on the Spurs radar, but I wouldn't mind taking a swing. Big sturdy big who lacks athleticism, but could very well contribute down low.

Jarvis Varnado - Big man with stupendous shot-blocking skills. Probably goes higher than we pick, but I'd snatch him up if he well our way. Definitely above Pittman in my book. Not really a draft n' stash option.

Alexey Shved - 6'7 combo guard. Diverse offensive game and decent defensive instincts. Lots of potential. Should be there at 49. But do we need another combo guard? Could he play at a point forward?

Tim Ohlbrecht - Very interesting prospect. 6'11 PF from Germany. Phenomenal shot blocker at his current level (albeit, a weak level) who has the ability to stretch the floor on the other end of the court with three point shooting. Very cerebral player with a good BBIQ. Athletic for Europe.

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
What does Dexter Pittman do that DeJuan Blair doesn't? Pittman is like an extremely poor-man's Blair.

Vazquez will be interesting floating around the 2nd round. He has higher upside than most any player picked that late but I feel he needs to dominate the ball too much and may not fit well as a middle-bench guy.

If Alexei Shved is still on the board with the 2nd I can't see the Spurs passing on him.

Herb Rudoy is the agent for Nemanja Bjelica and he is a classic draft-n-stash type player, who could develop some Lamar Odom versatility.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 11:46 AM

If those guys pull out of the draft though it's going to be because they're not hearing good things about being taken in the first round. Granted the Spurs don't draft according to the "popular" mock draft rankings, so fair point that the Spurs may lose someone on their draft board because they have him ranked higher than what the consensus amongst the rest of the league is saying. But with very few exceptions I'd think that anyone the Spurs would want to draft at #20 is going to stay in because they'll be feeling safe about getting that 1st round guarantee. When you're drafting 25 or lower, guys pulling out is a bigger concern because guys are afraid of falling out of the 1st. At #20, that concern isn't as great.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
What does Dexter Pittman do that DeJuan Blair doesn't? Pittman is like an extremely poor-man's Blair.

My thoughts as well. Nothing against Dex, but what's the point?

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Can anyone anticipate trying to move up in the draft? Supposedly the Spurs have tried to do so nearly every year, but now that they're already at #20, may not need to, and moving up may be even more expensive.

Are there any players you can imagine they'd try to leap up a few spots to snatch? Say, to spot #16? A suggestion would be if Xavier Henry is dropping.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I could see the Spurs liking one of the bigs like Udoh or Orton. Even with Splitter, you can never have too many bigs. Especially in the west.

The problem with trying to move up though is what would the Spurs have to give up? Nando?

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't know what they'd give up. Future picks from them aren't that attractive.

I'm enthusiastic about Udoh. Not so much Orton.

AFBlue
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Jarvis Varnado - Big man with stupendous shot-blocking skills. Probably goes higher than we pick, but I'd snatch him up if he well our way. Definitely above Pittman in my book. Not really a draft n' stash option.

While the possibility to sign Mahinmi remains, I think it's much more likely the Spurs look to the draft or free agency to fill the "athletic, shot-blocker" role. There are a few good prospects in the first round (Udoh, Sanders, Alabi), but in the early to mid-second round, I think Varnado is a great value.

He's ready to come in and fill the role immediately, but I think there's also opportunity for him to get "seasoning" in Austin and grow into a more complete player for down the road. I do think his ceiling is as a role player, but he could definitely be a solid one for the Spurs.

pad300
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Can anyone see us trying to work a trade down? Eg. #20 (SAS) for #25 and #28 (MEM); many mocks are projecting the fall of several SF's, for example draft express has Pondexter, Ebanks and Babbitt all falling that far. If the Spurs could work such a trade, I could see a draft of say Quincy Pondexter and Dominique Jones...

Mr. Body
05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Can anyone see us trying to work a trade down? Eg. #20 (SAS) for #25 and #28 (MEM); many mocks are projecting the fall of several SF's, for example draft express has Pondexter, Ebanks and Babbitt all falling that far. If the Spurs could work such a trade, I could see a draft of say Quincy Pondexter and Dominique Jones...

I'm not sure this draft is scintillating enough teams will want to spend much to trade up... but I guess teams fall in love with players.

On the other side, it's hard to imagine the Spurs bringing over Splitter, having Hill as a third year player, Blair as a second year player, and adding two more rookies.

But yeah, if we could swing Pondexter and Jones out of this draft - or better, Babbitt and Jones - then I certainly would, myself.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 04:07 PM

I definitely think there's a better chance of the Spurs moving down than there is of them moving up. Besides Memphis at #25/#28 there's also the Thunder at #26/#32, the Nets at #28/#31 and the Wizards at #30/#34.

In fact, if the Spurs do move down it would probably be more advantageous to deal with one of the teams who has a high 2nd as opposed to two-firsts due to being able to use a high 2nd on a top flight draft-and-stash euro prospect and not have to worry about being tied into a 1st round rookie scale contract when it's time to bring him over.

AFBlue
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM

If the Spurs aren't sold on any one player, then it makes alot of sense to trade down and maximize draft position. Personally I would hate for the Spurs to risk losing out on Pondexter or George (my top 2 SF prospects) by trading down, but I've learned to trust their scouting/player evaluation team.

Spurs could fill multiple needs (athletic SF, shot-blocking F/C, perimeter-oriented PF, shooting/scoring guard) in this draft and avoid the more expensive options in free agency this summer.

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 03:48 AM
the #20 for #25 and #28 pick from Grizzlies is a very intriguing scenario. the Grizzlies will look for deals with their picks. absolutely no chance they add 3 more first round picks this summer.
(they have 10 players under contract, plus 2 RFA they will try to re sign and they already have a lot of youth).
they might even try to package all their picks (12,25,28) to move up. might target the Clippers pick at #8. Clippers only have 5 players under contract next year. two late 1st rounders would be a cheap way to fill the roster. #8 pick would give the Grizzlies a shot at Johnson or Aminu and that way security if they can't re sign Gay.
however, let's just guess the Spurs trade #20 for #25 and #28. right now it seems as if 25 will be good enough for a quality SF prospect and the #28 could be used for any position. Spurs only have 7 players under contract, to add another 1st rounder would help to fill the roster without using the exceptions.

yavozerb
05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Not sure if anyone posted the nbadraft.com positional rankings but they seem preety good. http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/positional

Darkwaters
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
the #20 for #25 and #28 pick from Grizzlies is a very intriguing scenario. the Grizzlies will look for deals with their picks. absolutely no chance they add 3 more first round picks this summer.
(they have 10 players under contract, plus 2 RFA they will try to re sign and they already have a lot of youth).
they might even try to package all their picks (12,25,28) to move up. might target the Clippers pick at #8. Clippers only have 5 players under contract next year. two late 1st rounders would be a cheap way to fill the roster. #8 pick would give the Grizzlies a shot at Johnson or Aminu and that way security if they can't re sign Gay.
however, let's just guess the Spurs trade #20 for #25 and #28. right now it seems as if 25 will be good enough for a quality SF prospect and the #28 could be used for any position. Spurs only have 7 players under contract, to add another 1st rounder would help to fill the roster without using the exceptions.

I would jump all over a #20 for #25 and #28. But I'm not sure thats realistic. Still, if we could make that happen it'd be incredible. Pondexter could very easily still be there at 25 (maybe even 28) and then you have another 1st to spend on literally anything.

mountainballer
05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I think it is realistic. the #28 pick as the price to move up 5 spots looks reasonable. maybe it would also be #20 and #49 for #25 and #28
(the Grizzlies don't own a 2nd rounder, might be intriguing for them to get a draft and stash prospect).

SpursTillTheEnd
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Who is the best free agent 3 point shooter that we can afford?

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Who is the best free agent 3 point shooter that we can afford?

Assuming the Spurs save their MLE for Splitter, which they need to, then all they'll have is the BAE. You could probably get Raja Bell with that.

Mr. Body
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Michael Finley.

mountainballer
05-05-2010, 03:28 AM
E. Williams and Devin Ebanks will sign with an agent, so they are also in for good. (I guess in Williams case this was announced already a week ago)
IMO there is a chance, that Williams is on the Spurs list, even if he isn't a SF. and I wouldn't be surprised if he is picked higher than projected. depends if teams think he can also run a team in a combo role. if they believe he can, he might climb to mid 1st round.

jesterbobman
05-05-2010, 03:44 AM
I'm guessing everyone here knows of the tier system in drafts. Any thoughts on what some tiers might be in this draft, To see if we can predict other teams behaviour.
I'd Guess:
Wall
Turner
Cousins/Favors
Aminu/Johnson/Davis/Aldrich/Monroe
Montejunas/Whiteside/Udoh/Patterson/Henry/Orton(10 ESPN, 13th in DX Mock)
James/Robinson/Hayward/Sanders/Bledsoe/Alabi
George/Pondexter/Bradley/Babbitt/Warren/Dom Jones/J Anderson
Ebanks/Williams/Seraphin/Lawal/Terrico White

Probably fairly rough, and after the Montejunas et al Tier the next 2 tiers could be 1, could be 3. Just to get debate.

mountainballer
05-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Probably fairly rough, and after the Montejunas et al Tier the next 2 tiers could be 1, could be 3. Just to get debate.

my guess is, the number of players in the same tire needs to be limited. if the tire is really used as the major tool for draft night, it doesn't help the team if there are still 7 or 8 players in the same tire. I don't know much about it, but I would guess the teams will try to work out a tire list with not more than (my guess) 3 or 4 players in the same tire.

jesterbobman
05-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Agree on the size of the tiers being limited, though I don't know if the consensus on where the split is has happened yet.(Other than possibly the top 9 guys.) I went primarily on DX rankings and the ESPN 100, but even they have quite different rankings on some players. Also, While nbadraft.net isn't as good, they are another POV that can help(E.g, Having Rose as #1 prospect coming into the 08 draft Year, DX had Mayo 1). Also, if there are 2 people at the same position in a tier, they would have to have significant differences so a question of fit would be involved. (Shooter vs Slasher, Perimeter Big vs Interior big etc).

mountainballer
05-05-2010, 05:05 AM
IMO the tire system does only work for one specific team. (in our case the Spurs of course). one team might have a player in tire 4 while the other team has him in tire 6, maybe based only on the estimated fit on the respective team.

mountainballer
05-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Agree on the size of the tiers being limited, though I don't know if the consensus on where the split is has happened yet.(Other than possibly the top 9 guys.) I went primarily on DX rankings and the ESPN 100, but even they have quite different rankings on some players. Also, While nbadraft.net isn't as good, they are another POV that can help(E.g, Having Rose as #1 prospect coming into the 08 draft Year, DX had Mayo 1). Also, if there are 2 people at the same position in a tier, they would have to have significant differences so a question of fit would be involved. (Shooter vs Slasher, Perimeter Big vs Interior big etc).

btw. could you post the top 100?

jesterbobman
05-05-2010, 06:54 PM
If this isn't OK to show, people can delete parts I guess. I wanted just a simple list, but I just copy and pasted.

ESPN Top 100
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=0
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=1
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=2
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=3
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010&set=4
RK Player AGE POS HT WT SCHOOL/COUNtrY PROJECTION
1 John Wall 19 PG 6-4 185 Kentucky No. 1 pick
Apr 7 Update: Wall announced he's declaring for the 2010 NBA Draft. Wall is ... more
2 Evan Turner 21 SG 6-7 205 Ohio State Top 2
Apr 7 Update: Turner has declared for the April 7th draft. The best college ... more
3 Derrick Favors 18 PF 6-9 215 Georgia Tech Top 5
Apr 9 Update: Favors came into the season ranked as the second best prospect ... more
4 DeMarcus Cousins 19 C 6-11 260 Kentucky Top 5
Apr 7 Update: Cousins was the most productive big man, per minute, in college ... more
5 Wesley Johnson 22 SF 6-7 198 Syracuse Top 5
April 12 Update: Johnson was the breakout player of the year this season. After ... more
6 Al-Farouq Aminu 19 SF 6-8 205 Wake Forest Top 10
Apr 1 Update: Aminu has declared for the draft. He has all the physical ... more
7 Ed Davis 20 PF 6-10 215 North Carolina Top 10
Apr 12 Update: Davis didn't quite live up to the hype he generated last ... more
8 Cole Aldrich 21 C 6-11 245 Kansas Top 10
March 29 Update: Aldrich announced on March 29th that he is declaring for the ... more
9 Greg Monroe 19 PF 6-11 250 Georgetown Lottery
April 17 Update: Monroe's draft stock has been all over the place this year. ... more
10 Daniel Orton 19 C 6-10 260 Kentucky Lottery
Apr 27 Update: On one hand, Orton should absolutely stay in the draft. Most ... more
11 Ekpe Udoh 22 PF 6-10 240 Baylor Lottery
Apr 27 Update: Udoh had a breakout season and saw his stock rise dramatically. ... more
12 Hassan Whiteside 20 C 6-11 225 Marshall Lottery
Mar 29 Update: It looks like Whiteside will declare for the 2010 NBA Draft. ... more
13 Donatas Motiejunas 19 PF 7-0 220 Lithuania Lottery
April 23 Update: Montiejunas has declared for the draft. Over the course of the ... more
14 Patrick Patterson 21 PF 6-8 245 Kentucky Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 7 Update: Patterson was expected to be the veteran leader of this Kentucky ... more
15 Xavier Henry 19 SG 6-7 220 Kansas Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 7 Update: Henry is an all-purpose swingman with an NBA body and deep ... more
16 Eric Bledsoe 20 PG 6-1 190 Kentucky Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 27 Update: Bledsoe also didn't have a huge season. However, at times he ... more
17 Gordon Hayward 20 SF 6-8 200 Butler Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 27 Update: Hayward is another hot name who should probably capitalize on his ... more
18 James Anderson 21 SG 6-6 195 Oklahoma State Mid to late first round
Apr 1 Update: Anderson had a terrific junior year, but scouts are all over ... more
19 Damion James 22 SF 6-8 224 Texas Mid to late first round
Mar 22 Update: James had a great senior season but went out with a ... more
20 Solomon Alabi 22 C 7-1 245 Florida State Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 23 Update: Alabi came into the season ranked as a potential Top 10 ... more
21 Avery Bradley 19 SG 6-3 180 Texas Late lottery to mid first round
Apr 30 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: By all accounts, Bradley is a great kid ... more
22 Luke Babbitt 20 SF 6-9 220 Nevada Mid to late first round
Apr 20 Update: Babbitt has a lot of fans, probably more than is reflected ... more
23 Paul George 20 SF 6-7 185 Fresno State Late lottery to mid first round
Mar 30 Update: George may not have played on the biggest stage in college, ... more
24 Kenneth Faried 20 PF 6-8 215 Morehead State Late first to early second
Mar 31 Update: Faried combines a relentless motor with terrific athleticism and toughness to ... more
25 Larry Sanders 21 PF 6-10 220 VA Commonwealth Late lottery to mid first round
April 10 Update: Sanders is a long, athletic shot-blocker and rebounder who has improved ... more
26 Quincy Pondexter 22 SF 6-7 220 Washington Mid to late first round
Mar 22 Update: Pondexter has had a terrific senior season. However, scouts are always ... more
27 Terrico White 20 SG 6-5 211 Mississippi Mid to late first round
Apr 30 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: There is no doubting White's talent and his ... more
28 Willie Warren 20 PG 6-4 210 Oklahoma Mid to late first round
Apr 8 Update: Warren began the year as a projected Top 5 pick in ... more
29 Devin Ebanks 20 SF 6-9 205 West Virginia Mid to late first round
Apr 30 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: Ebanks is a guy who could benefit from ... more
30 Kevin Seraphin 20 PF 6-10 258 France Late first to early second
April 23 Update: Seraphin is declaring for the draft. He didn't have the breakout ... more
31 Dominique Jones 21 SG 6-4 205 South Florida Late first to early second
Mar 23 Update: Jones announced on Mar 23 that he was declaring for the ... more
32 Stanley Robinson 21 SF 6-9 215 Connecticut Mid to late first round
Mar 12 Update: Robinson is an athletic freak who posted the best individual numbers ... more
33 Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Williams 20 SG 6-4 180 Memphis Late first to early second
Apr 13 Update: Williams didn't surprise with his announcement to declare for the draft. ... more
34 Darington Hobson 22 SF 6-7 205 New Mexico Late first to early second
Apr 27 Update: Hobson is currently on the first-round bubble. That's usually a good ... more
35 Jordan Crawford 21 SG 6-4 195 Xavier Late first to early second
Apr 30 Update: Crawford scores like most people breathe but, for a while early ... more
36 Robin Benzing 21 SF 6-10 210 Germany Late first to early second
Feb 9 Update: Benzing made his presence known at the European under-20s this past ... more
37 Gani Lawal 20 PF 6-9 229 Georgia Tech Late first to early second
Apr 5 Update: Lawal has the talent to play in the league, but his ... more
38 Armon Johnson 21 PG 6-3 195 Nevada Late first to early second
Apr 9 Update: Johnson currently ranks at the fifth best point guard in our ... more
39 Jerome Jordan 23 C 7-0 235 Tulsa Late first to early second
Feb. 17 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: No one is really talking about Jordan and ... more
40 Jarvis Varnado 22 PF 6-9 210 Mississippi St. Late first to early second
Mar 12 Update: Scouts have seen him for four years and should have a ... more
41 JaJuan Johnson 21 PF 6-10 215 Purdue Late first to early second
Apr 27 Update: Johnson had a nice season at Purdue, but his lack of ... more
42 Craig Brackins 22 PF 6-10 230 Iowa State Late first to early second
Mar 22 Update A potential late lottery pick last season, Brackins has struggled to ... more
43 Arnett Moultrie 19 PF 6-11 225 UTEP Second round to undrafted
Apr 27 Update: Moultrie has NBA talent. But he had a very sketchy season. ... more
44 Dexter Pittman 22 C 6-10 285 Texas Late first to early second
Feb 4 Update, by David Thorpe: The hardest thing for NBA personnel to do ... more
45 Jimmer Fredette 21 PG 6-2 195 BYU Second round to undrafted
Apr 27 Update: Fredette became a hot name late in the season and lived ... more
46 Trevor Booker 22 PF 6-7 240 Clemson Late first to early second
Jan 26 Update: Over the course of the past month, Booker is playing like ... more
47 Miroslav Raduljica 22 C 7-1 250 Serbia Late first to early second
Apr 23 Update: Raduljica has been on the NBA radar screen for years. He ... more
48 Manny Harris 20 SG 6-5 185 Michigan Second round to undrafted
Apr 27 Update: Harris has terrific skills, but he's still maturing as a basketball ... more
49 Brian Zoubek 22 C 7-1 260 Duke Second round to undrafted
Apr 6 Update: Zoubek hasn't done much of anything in his career. Even as ... more
50 Artsiom Parakhouski 22 C 6-11 260 Radford Second round to undrafted
Dec 15 Update: Parakhouski may play for a small school, but he continues to ... more
51 Sherron Collins 23 PG 5-11 200 Kansas Late first to early second
Mar 22 Update: Collins was terrible when Kansas needed him most. After bailing out ... more
52 Sylven Landesberg 20 SG 6-6 202 Virginia Late first to early second
Mar 23 Update: Landesberg announced on Mar 23 that he was declaring for the ... more
53 Pablo Aguilar 21 SF 6-8 210 Spain Second round to undrafted
April 23 Update: Aguilar has been on the NBA radar screen for a while. ... more
54 Da'Sean Butler 22 SF 6-7 225 West Virginia Second round to undrafted
Apr 6 Update: I hate writing this after all Butler achieved this season. He's ... more
55 Lance Stephenson 19 SG 6-6 200 Cincinnati Second round to undrafted
Apr 7 Update: Stephenson came into college with a rep as a big-time scorer ... more
56 Tibor Pleiss 20 C 7-0 220 Germany Second round to undrafted
Apr 20 Update: Pleiss has a lot of NBA potential. He needs to get ... more
57 Ryan Richards 19 PF 6-11 235 England Second round to undrafted
Apr 21 Update: Richard's decision to declare for the draft doesn't come as a ... more
58 Malcolm Delaney 21 PG 6-3 170 Virginia Tech Second round to undrafted
Apr 13 Update: Delaney is coming off a big year at Virginia Tech. He's ... more
59 Jon Scheyer 22 SG 6-5 180 Duke Second round to undrafted
Dec 18 Update: No senior point guard is having a better season than Duke's ... more
60 Mikhail Torrance 21 PG 6-5 210 Alabama Second round to undrafted
April 12 Update: Torrance was one of the few players to help themselves at ... more
61 Matt Bouldin 22 PG 6-5 210 Gonzaga Second round to undrafted
Feb. 17 Update, by Fran Fraschilla: Bouldin is one of the most complete guards ... more
62 Alexy Shved 21 SG 6-7 170 Russia Second round to undrafted
Apr 23 Update: After languishing on CSKA's bench for several years, Shved finally got ... more
63 Charles Garcia 21 PF 6-9 220 Seattle U Second round to undrafted
Mar 9 Update: Garcia has declared for the 2010 NBA Draft, and the move ... more
64 Ben Uzoh 22 PG 6-3 200 Tulsa Second round to undrafted
Feb 16 Update: It's hard to call seniors sleepers, but here's a name that ... more
65 Nemanja Bjelica 21 SF 6-10 210 Serbia Second round to undrafted
Apr 23 Update: Bjelica had another solid season and is an intriguing prospect to ... more
66 Keith Gallon 19 PF 6-9 300 Oklahoma Second round to undrafted
Apr 20 Update: Gallon had a solid freshman season, but also struggled to fit ... more
67 Latavious Williams 21 SF 6-8 20 NBDL Second round to undrafted
Apr 20 Update: Williams is a player who clearly benefitted from the NBA rules ... more
68 Luke Harangody 22 PF 6-8 240 Notre Dame Second round to undrafted
Mar 22 Update: For a guy who has been a consistent beast on the ... more
69 Omar Samhan 21 C 6-11 265 St. Mary's (CA) Second round to undrafted
Mar 29 Update: Samhan was everyone's Cinderella after he dropped 29 points and 12 ... more
70 Elijah Millsap 22 SG 6-6 218 UAB Second round to undrafted
April 13 Update: The brother of Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap has had a ... more
71 Mac Koshwal 23 C 6-10 255 DePaul Second round to undrafted
April 13 Update: Koshwal entered the NBA Draft and withdrew last spring, so this ... more
72 Herb Pope 21 PF 6-8 235 Seton Hall Second round to undrafted
March 29 Update: Pope announced on March 29 that he was declaring for the ... more
73 Andy Rautins 23 SG 6-4 195 Syracuse Second round to undrafted
Mar 29 Update: Rautins has a skill that NBA GMs covet. He's a terrific ... more
74 Marqus Blakely 21 PF 6-6 225 Vermont Second round to undrafted
Mar 22 Update: Blakely isn't a household name, but NBA scouts like him. He ... more
75 Demetri McCamey 21 PG 6-3 200 Illinois Second round to undrafted
April 11 Update: McCarmey is a big, physical combo guard who has deep, albeit ... more
76 Scottie Reynolds 22 PG 6-2 195 Villanova Second round to undrafted
Mar 22 Update: Reynolds spent much of his senior year trying to prove to ... more
77 Andrew Ogilvy 21 C 6-11 250 Vanderbilt Second round to undrafted
Apr 8 Update: Ogilvy is a skilled big man with an old school game. ... more
78 Greivis Vasquez 23 SG 6-6 197 Maryland Second round to undrafted
Mar 22 Update: Vasquez is coming off a terrific senior season where he increased ... more
79 Vladimir Dasic 21 PF 6-9 225 Serbia Second round to undrafted
Feb 8 Update: Dasic always has looked the part of an NBA player. He's ... more
80 Stefan Markovic 22 PG 6-6 210 Serbia Second round to undrafted
Feb 8 Update: Markovic turned some heads at the 2009 Reebok Eurocamp and has ... more
1 Derrick Caracter 22 PF 6-9 286 UTEP Second round to undrafted
Apr 13 Update: Caracter had a very strong season at UTEP and tried to ... more
82 Mindaugas Kuzminskas 20 SF 6-9 215 Lithuania Second round to undrafted
April 20 Update: Kuzminskas isn't ready for the NBA. But as far as young ... more
83 Dwayne Collins 22 PF 6-8 240 Miami Second round to undrafted
April 9 Update: Collins has a NBA body and strength, but his numbers at ... more
84 Antoine Diot 21 PG 6-3 190 France Second round to undrafted
April 22 Update: Diot is a big guard who can play both positions int ... more
85 Samardo Samuels 21 PF 6-8 245 Louisville Second round to undrafted
April 20 Update: Samuels was one of the top prep players in the country ... more
86 Michael Washington 23 PF 6-9 240 Arkansas Second round to undrafted
Mar 7 Update: Washington had a disappointing senior season. He was unable to match ... more
87 Tyler Smith 23 SF 6-6 212 Tennessee Second round to undrafted
Jan 12 Update: Smith has watched his draft stock sink ever since it crested ... more
88 Courtney Fortson 21 PG 5-11 180 Arkansas Second round to undrafted
April 22 Update: Fortson is an athletic point guard who has an uncanny ability ... more
89 Tracy Smith 22 PF 6-8 247 NC State Second round to undrafted
April 29 Update Smith is a physical four who isn't afraid to bang. He's ... more
90 Paulao Prestes 22 C 6-10 265 Brazil Second round to undrafted
April 9 Update: Prestes continues to be what he is. A big, strong prospect ... more
91 Jerome Dyson 23 SG 6-3 180 Connecticut Second round to undrafted
Jan 26 Update: As a freshman he had the rep as a player who ... more
92 Jerome Randle 22 PG 5-10 160 California Second round to undrafted
April 12 Update: Randle used his speed to impress scouts at the Portsmouth Invitational. ... more
93 Jeremy Lin 23 PG 6-2 180 Harvard Second round to undrafted
Dec 11 Update: Keep an eye on Harvard's Jeremy Lin. We mentioned him last ... more
94 Tyren Johnson 21 SF 6-8 204 Louisiana Lafayette Second round to undrafted
April 12 Update: This year, there weren't many standouts at the Portsmouth Invitational according ... more
95 Jeremy Hazell 24 SG 6-5 185 Seton Hall Second round to undrafted
Apr 5 Update: One of the most prolific scorers in the country, Hazell is ... more
96 Bojan Bogdanovic 21 SF 6-7 200 Serbia Second round to undrafted
April 20 Update: Bogdanovic has some fans among NBA scouts. He's a skilled forward ... more
97 Ludovic Vaty 21 PF 6-9 220 France Second round to undrafted
Apr 24 Update: He's got the body and the athleticism, but is still very ... more
98 Lavoy Allen PF 6-9 225 Temple Second round to undrafted
April 23 Update: Allen has talent. No one questions that. But he his so-so ... more
99 Mamadou Samb 20 PF 6-10 190 Senegal Second round to undrafted
April 24 Update: Samb is a talent that NBA scouts have been watching for ... more
100 Mike Davis 21 PF 6-9 210 Illinois Second round to undrafted
Apr 19 Update: Davis is a solid rebounder who can score from inside and ... more

mountainballer
05-06-2010, 02:23 AM
thanks jesterbobman!:toast

Bruno
05-06-2010, 04:47 AM
So there are 9 players who can play SF (Spurs biggest need) projected between the 15th and 30th picks:
- Xavier Henry
- Damion James
- James Anderson
- Gordon Hayward
- Stanley Robinson
- Paul George
- Luke Babbitt
- Quincy Pondexter
- Devin Ebanks

That's a lot of choice and these players have very different skill sets. Odds are good that Spurs find someone they really like at #20. :tu

mountainballer
05-06-2010, 05:10 AM
I would add Darington Hobson to that list.
he isn't rated a 1st rounder by most mocks, but I have the gut feeling he might be one of those taken higher than projected.
his skill set just is to unique and intriguing to ignore, despite his athletic limitations. if Dudley can become a decent rotation player on a very good team, Hobson might be able to have the same success in the right place.

jesterbobman
05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Just looked up stats: There is a big man prospect who is a phenomenal Shotblocker and shot 60% from 3.
Hassan Whiteside!!!(3-5, and thus non significant)
(EDIT Unintentionally posted early)
In terms of the need, I think shooters will be a priority, even if De Colo comes over. I'd say of the semi-realistic options, Henry fills a big 2/Small 3 need and is already a great shooter. Wes Johnson would be perfect, but obviously unobtainable(I think 8 is his floor, and we coudn't trade up).
Damion James shot Well enough and is good enough both an athletic 3 and a stretch the floor 4, but may be gone. Hayward can do both if his shooting is more Freshman than Sophomore.
I think I'm questioning whether the Spurs are just looking to draft a backup SF, or someone who can do both the SF and Stretch 4 roles? If they are, that would put out Henry.

mountainballer
05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
I think I'm questioning whether the Spurs are just looking to draft a backup SF, or someone who can do both the SF and Stretch 4 roles? If they are, that would put out Henry.

no. if Henry is still there at #20, he will be as much a Spurs candidate as any player. we discussed it before, I guess we can assume that Henry is ranked by the Spurs in a higher tire than most of the bigger SFs or the combo forwards. if he is there, I would say almost sure fire the Spurs pick him. (btw. he does fill a big need with Finley gone and Bogans and Mason not exactly looking like players to bring back)

hsxvvd
05-06-2010, 06:16 AM
No way Henry is around at 20.

Another positive is that Hayward is staying in the draft.

It's a good year for the needs we have. Might even be worth trading for another pick given the type of talent available.

AFBlue
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Chad Ford of ESPN released his first mock draft...and while he freely admits nothing definite can be determined this early, it's probably a decent indication of draft stock. The only thing that bugs me is he listed the Spurs with the 21st pick, not the 20th...guess he was going off playoff seeding and not the coin flips.

Still, he had the Spurs taking Damion James. Here's the blip on him and why the Spurs might take him...

Analysis: James might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Very few players have his combination of athleticism and motor. He doesn't have a position on offense, but he's a Spurs type of player all the way.

I don't see how his athleticism and motor are any better than Pondexter, who Chad still has available, but I can see the pick.

EDIT: The draft order has been fixed on ESPN, but the pick is the same.

Mr. Body
05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I really don't like Damion James there at all.

AFBlue
05-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Same here...not with Pondexter and George still on the board. Even if he develops a stand-still 3pt shot, he's still a role player with no real position.

I think his upside is Mbah a Moute.

Darkwaters
05-08-2010, 01:38 AM

Agreed. And even for all his no-frills kind of play, I think I'd take Luke Babbitt before Damion James as well.

Actually, I have a tingly feeling that the Spurs are going to target Babbitt regardless.

AFBlue
05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
After this series, I think a bunch of shooters just shot (pun intended) up the Spurs' draft board. Guys like Henry, Anderson, Hayward, Babbitt and maybe George make a lot of sense for a team with suddenly little depth of players with natural shooting ability.

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2010, 04:37 PM
-Do you guys think it's certain that the Spurs will actually look to draft somebody that will help right away?..

With the financial situation, instead of paying the rookie, wouldn't it make some sense for the Spurs' FO to decide to stash somebody away or trade the pick?..I'm not in favor at all, but I wouldn't rule it out..

-Do you guys think the fact that the Spurs have loaded up on D-League players + De Colo on cheap contracts is about having low-risk/high-reward options, or do you think it means they're going to be looking at those guys as the "rookies" for next year instead of drafting somebody in the 1st?..

AFBlue
05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
-Do you guys think it's certain that the Spurs will actually look to draft somebody that will help right away?..

With the financial situation, instead of paying the rookie, wouldn't it make some sense for the Spurs' FO to decide to stash somebody away or trade the pick?..I'm not in favor at all, but I wouldn't rule it out..

-Do you guys think the fact that the Spurs have loaded up on D-League players + De Colo on cheap contracts is about having low-risk/high-reward options, or do you think it means they're going to be looking at those guys as the "rookies" for next year instead of drafting somebody in the 1st?..

The Spurs have 6 players under contract next year (7 if RJ opts in to his final year). That leaves no less than 6 (if RJ opts in) positions that must be filled for the Spurs to be a the league-minimum for roster spots, 13.

They could decide to re-up guys like Mason, Bogans, Bonner and Mahinmi...but given how those guys didn't take them to the top this year it's unlikely they get more chances to do so. The Spurs also have some non-guaranteed players (Jerrells, Hairston, Gee), but it'd be nice for them to get some competition for PT or even roster spots.

And given that they've tabbed the majority of their payroll to bring over one or two players (Splitter, De Colo?, Bell?), I think it makes alot of sense for the Spurs to address the rest via the draft.

AFBlue
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I'll go one step further...if RJ opts out, I think it's likely the Spurs try to pick up multiple picks in this draft and look to fill holes almost immediately.

mountainballer
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I would hate it as much as anyone (considering the time I spend with draft scenarios), but we must not igore that possibility. I would even think about the possibility that the #20 pick is used as a teaser to get rid of RJ and get back a good player, who might be a better fit.
fact is, last year the Spurs had that big hole at SF and they invested a lot to close it. turn out, we still have a big hole at SF, no matter if RJ stays one more year, or opts out. we can get a very nice prospect for the position from this draft, but it would be naive to think this player will solve the problem at SF. so, if it takes the pick to get this player, Spurs FO will consider it.
btw. what do you guys think if they try Prince? RJ plus #20 for Price plus filler. might save some tax and get back a player, who should definitely be a better fit than RJ. Pistons are rebuilding, don't know if they want to re sign Prince 2011. might like a pick better. and they won't get that much more out of Prince than a mid 1st rounder.

biziofromdowntown
05-09-2010, 05:52 PM
No please, no Prince.

jesterbobman
05-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Would Jefferson + 20 for Peja and 11 work for anybody? Probably a bit of a stretch to assume the Hornets would do it, but a running SF next to Paul could work, as could a shooter at SF in our system. Both contracts are relatively equal, and the move could let us leapfrog some teams and pick up Henry or another option who probably won't be there at 20.

mountainballer
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Would Jefferson + 20 for Peja and 11 work for anybody? Probably a bit of a stretch to assume the Hornets would do it, but a running SF next to Paul could work, as could a shooter at SF in our system. Both contracts are relatively equal, and the move could let us leapfrog some teams and pick up Henry or another option who probably won't be there at 20.

it wouldn't work for the Hornets. they would be crazy to do it. they need two things desperately: either a SF for the future, or a big man, who can defend and score inside. this draft is deep at either position, so they have almost a 100% chance that a useful player will be there at #11. and they still struggle with keeping their pay roll under the threshold. the pick will give them a decent player for small money for the next 4 years.
the quality gap between the #11 and the #20 pick is to significant.
(they might listen to a RJ for Peja straight trade though)

mountainballer
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
withdraw deadline passed on Saturday and none of the 1st round projects goes back to school. that's very good news for us.
this draft might lack star power, but it looks very deep.

mountainballer
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/
According to Tony Ronzone, recently hired as assistant coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Nikola Pekovic has agreed with the NBA franchise to play there next season.

if this is true, it's a bit surprising (experts didn't expect him to come over before 2011), but this might also just be the start of a big exodus of players from Greece. teams will struggle to avoid bankruptcy as much as the whole country struggles.
however, why could this be interesting for this thread.
in the 1st round Wolves have the #2, #16, #23 pick.
they are expected to do a lot of dealing around the draft, b/c they likely won't bring in all those picks. if Pekovic comes over, the Wolves will have even less reasons to draft 3 1st rounders. I wouldn't be surprised if either #16 and #23 are on the market.

mountainballer
05-11-2010, 02:44 AM
there is this one guy at the DX forum, who posts like half of the forums overall posts and who is pretty annoying with his know all and "insider" attitude.
however, he posted something that would be pretty interesting, unfortunately he didn't provide it with a link, so take it with a grain of salt. (probably all made-up)

http://www.draftexpress.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50965#post50965
NBA GM's were polled about lottery picks and here are results:
*(Recieved every vote) John Wall, Evan Turner, Demarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, Wesley Johnson, Greg Monroe, Al Farouq Aminu, Xavier Henry, Ed Davis
*(Didn't recieve every vote in for sure) Cole Aldrich, Patrick Patterson, Epke Udoh
*(Didn't recieve every vote tied for last spots one wouldn't get in lottery) Gordon Hayward, James Anderson, and Hassan Whiteside
*(Recieved votes but not enough to get into lottery) Craig Brackins, Avery Bradley, Paul George, Solomon Alabi.

if this is right and if the sample is not just 2 or 3 GMs overall, it gives good information.
would mean that for example Henry is currently underrated by most mocks and that he's more or less a sure fire lottery pick. Hayward and Anderson likely gone before we pick, George probably as well.
but Motiejunas falling down? to our region?
(that's why I'm so skeptical. not a single lottery vote for him. common.)

Buddy Holly
05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
if this is true, it's a bit surprising (experts didn't expect him to come over before 2011), but this might also just be the start of a big exodus of players from Greece. teams will struggle to avoid bankruptcy as much as the whole country struggles.
however, why could this be interesting for this thread.
in the 1st round Wolves have the #2, #16, #23 pick.
they are expected to do a lot of dealing around the draft, b/c they likely won't bring in all those picks. if Pekovic comes over, the Wolves will have even less reasons to draft 3 1st rounders. I wouldn't be surprised if either #16 and #23 are on the market.

Minn doesn't have the second pick do they? I mean the lottery hasn't even happened.

mountainballer
05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Minn doesn't have the second pick do they? I mean the lottery hasn't even happened.

it's kind of usual to rank the team with the 2nd worst record at the #2 spot in the mocks before the lottery. could of course become any pick between #1 and #5.
ok, let's be precise: in the 1st round Wolves have either the #1, or #2, or#3, or#4, or #5 pick and the #16 and the #23 pick.

Bruno
05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
29 players have withdrawn from the Early entry list to keep their college eligibility:
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66503/20100511/29_early_draft_candidates_withdraw/

I've updated the draft prospect index thread to remove players who have withdrawn.

Chieflion
05-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Here are the pre-draft camp particpants list for next week's Chicago camp.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66535/20100512/nba_announces_pre_draft_camp_participants/

Gonna be interesting. Most of the projected first rounders are participating. This will determine most of the mid-first to early-second round players and seperate one tier from the other.

jesterbobman
05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
If anyone's looking for some humour in terms of draft boards, look at Doug Gotliebs on ESPN.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=5188295

My Favourites are Babbitt-Hayward(8 & 9), then Cousins-Aldrich-Ed Davis(10-11-12), Followed by Montejunas at 23.

More Discussion at
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/5/17/1475110/doug-gottlieb-has-an-nba-draft-big

Chad Ford also had only good things to say about Stanley Robinson Character wise.

jesterbobman
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Also, Draft Order now set
WAS
PHI
NJN
MIN
SAC
GS
DET
LAC
UTAH
IND
NOH
MEM
TOR
HOU

yavozerb
05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I think philly is better with the 2nd pick anyways as long as wall goes #1. Turner with the sixers starting unit should be pretty fun to watch. Now if only philly could get a younger version of brand and somebody other than dalembert to play center and they would be pretty good.

yavozerb
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Is iggy a sg or a sf? I dont get to see the sixers much but it seems to me that iggy seems to get better and better each season. Brand unfortunatly is in the same boat as TD in that both seem to be heading downward in there careers. Speaking of okur, is that guy even gonna be able to return by next season after rupturing his achilles? Not an easy injury to return from especially for a big man.

SenorSpur
05-19-2010, 09:56 AM
The potential maneuvering and jostling for draft position has already started:

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/14264225825

Houston and Portland are two teams that will be working No. 3 Nets and No. 4 Wolves hard to move up in the draft, league sources say.

Brazil
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I just think the 76ers should blow up that team and use that second pick overall to build a completely new team. Let Jrue Holliday start, run Turner at the wing. Move Iggy and Brand for cap relief. The 76ers are already 5 years in the hole. They might as well do what it takes to scrap this team.

Intereting thought... Perhaps there are no takers on the combo of Brand/Iggy because of the long term commitment, but say the 76ers wanted to do pick swaps with championship level teams to move that money.

Utah trades AK47 and Okur for Iggy and Brand then they just switch the 2nd and 9th picks. Only reason Utah woudln't do that is if they think they can't have 5 black players on the court at the same time. Philly doesn't do that because it is quite a shitty basketball trade.

I appreciate a lot Jrue, I think he has a hell of potential. Phily could build around him, turner and Iggy, btw Ian could be an interesting player for them.

The league will be staked with young talented gs it's crazy: tyreke, wall, jrue, collins, curry, jennings.. with the "vets" roy, rose... BTW the hornets and GS will have to find solutions for DC and Curry, it would be a shame to not have both starting somewhere.

Libri
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Got a tweet from Givony of DraftExpress. They're going to begin measurements/tests of players on Friday.

mountainballer
05-20-2010, 05:07 AM
I think he meant that the results will be released on Friday.
the combined test will be less telling than the years before, because so many of the players decided to not participate in the tests.
(likely none of the projected top 10 will do the tests)

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
NBA Pre-Draft combine re-airing from 8-11pm cst. on ESPNU.

George apparently impressed and Ryan Richards put himself on the map; be sure to check it out if you're capable. :toast

Bruno
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
FYI, the first post of this thread is filled with some draft tidbits including a list of players who have worked out with Spurs.

There are also links to interesting threads about the draft like the mock draft database and a discussion about the SF in the draft.

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
NBA Pre-Draft combine re-airing from 8-11pm cst. on ESPNU.

George apparently impressed and Ryan Richards put himself on the map; be sure to check it out if you're capable. :toast

Will do

Thanks lad :toast

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
No problem, mucca. ;)

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 03:42 AM
In today’s media session, I was able to speak with John Wall amongst the media, as well as talk with Dominique Jones one-on-one, James Anderson, Xavier Henry, Luke Babbitt, Jarvis Varnado one-on-one, Travis Booker one-on-one, and Solomon Alabi one-on-one.

Part II contains my questions for Varnado, Booker, Alabi, and Wall.
Media Log: 2010 NBA Draft Combine Media Availability Day 1, Part II (http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/05/20/media-log-2010-nba-draft-combine-media-availability-day-1-part-ii/)

admiralsnackbar
05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Media Log: 2010 NBA Draft Combine Media Availability Day 1, Part II (http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/05/20/media-log-2010-nba-draft-combine-media-availability-day-1-part-ii/)

Interesting Jarvis Varnado had only been worked out by the Bucks as of the Combine.

Bruno
05-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Measurements are available:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2010&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=3

Bruno
05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Some thoughts:
- It sucks not to have all players size.
- Paul George is 6'9".
- Xavier Henry and James Anderson have enough size to play SF.
- Patterson has a good size and wingspan. He makes even less likely that he slips at 20.
- Babbitt is 6'9".

lurker23
05-21-2010, 03:17 PM
If you were making evaluations solely from the measurements (not that I recommend it, but it's an interesting exercise), here are a few observations:

-Solomon Alabi is perhaps the most intriguing player in the draft. 6' 11.5" w/o shoes, 7' 0.75" w/shoes, 237 pounds, 7' 5" wingspan, 9' 5" standing reach, 5.0% body fat. Get that kid in a weight room for about 2 years straight, and you could have a legitimate 7'1" center.

-Dexter Pittman is similarly intriguing, as he was measured slightly taller and longer than I expected. 6' 9.5" w/o shoes, 6' 11.5" w/shoes, 303 pounds, 7' 6" wingspan, 9' 3" standing reach, 20.8% body fat. Get that kid on a treadmill for 2 years straight and you might have a pretty solid 7 footer on your hands.

-Ekpe Udoh's measurements were underwhelming, as he's only 6'9.75" in shoes, and has one of the shortest standing reaches of anyone in the 6'8"+ group.

-Larry Sanders has one of the biggest height to wingspan discrepencies; 6' 9.25" w/o shoes, 6' 10.5" w/shoes, 222 pounds, 7' 5.75" wingspan, 9' 4" standing reach, 4.6% body fat. Again, weight room.

-Lazar Hayward probably wins this category among the swingmen. 6' 4.5" w/o shoes, 6' 5.75" w/shoes, 226 pounds, 7' 0.75" wingspan, 8' 6" standing reach. This helps explain why he was able to play bigman a lot in college, and could be an asset if he manages to improve his lateral quickness.

yavozerb
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

mystargtr34
05-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Extremely impressed with Paul George's measurements. 6'9" in terms of NBA height, with a 7'0" wingspans and 8'11" standing reach. They are all huge measurements for a wing, it would actually make him one of longer swings in the L.

Gives him enormous potential as a defensive stopper. Im liking this pick, but if he does will in his speed and vertical stuff, coupled with this - he will be too intruiging to drop to 20.

Here's hoping.

outmap
05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
1st round = SF
Paul George, Luke Babbit, Damion James, Gordon Hayward

2nd round = C
Artsiom Parakhouski, Jerome Jordan, Dexter Pittman, Jarvis Varnado

ajballer4
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
1st round = SF
Paul George, Luke Babbit, Damion James, Gordon Hayward

2nd round = C
Artsiom Parakhouski, Jerome Jordan, Dexter Pittman, Jarvis Varnado

James and Pittman would be a good combo. And they already have the chemistry

Darkwaters
05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
James and Pittman would be a good combo. And they already have the chemistry

Not a fan of Damion James at 20. And Pittman would be a decent pick, but if Varnado is there I think you definitely take him first.

duncan228
05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Hoopsworld...

Here are some notes from the Combine (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16305)
Steve Kyler
Hoopsworld

San Antonio Shopping: Teams are allowed to conduct face-to-face interview with 18 players during the Draft Combine.

The San Antonio Spurs hold the 20th pick in the June 24th NBA Draft.

So why did the Spurs schedule interviews with DeMacrus Cousins, Derrick Favors and Xavier Henry?

The Spurs are one of several teams trying to move up in the draft, likely into the Top 5, with sources at the Combine saying that Philadelphia and New Jersey have made it clear they'd trade their picks for the right price.

Favors said his meeting with the Spurs was good, and that he felt like the Spurs were trying to move up to get him. Cousins admitted that he skipped his meeting with the Spurs at his agent's suggestion.

Sources close to the Spurs labeled their Combine as routine shopping and cautioned not to read to much into it. But there is no doubting that San Antonio spent a large chunk of their 18 interview slots on players well outside their reach according to their current draft position.

While the Spurs are one of the more thorough teams in the league in understanding who's in the draft class, they are also not a team that will waste time on players they have no shot at either.

Picks For Sale: There are several teams trying to move up in this draft class. There are some teams trying to acquire picks and some teams that are openly trying to sell picks for future draft assets or cash.

The Spurs and Houston Rockets are trying to move up in this class, and would be willing to part with both roster pieces and cash to make the jump. Sources close to the Spurs thinking say Tony Parker could be moved if it landed them in the Top 3, likely why they interviewed Top 5 prospects.

The Rockets are not willing to be as generous. Word is the Rockets are in the market for a top 10 selection and would pay cash to move up. It is unlikely the Rockets give up meaningful assets to move up but they are in the market.

The New York Knicks, the Charlotte Bobcats and the Dallas Mavericks are all in the market for additional draft assets. They could be the teams that gobble up a team's duplicated pick as the draft gets underway, especially the duplicated picks at the bottom of the first round.

The Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves are each sitting on multiple picks in the first round. Word is Memphis is trying to move both the 25th and the 28th selections. Minnesota is trying to move the 23rd pick to avoid the guaranteed salary that selection would receive.

There is talk that Orlando would trade the player they draft with the 29th pick, so in essence that pick is for sale too, but because Orlando has to use the pick nothing happens with them until the draft. (Edit - future first-round picks cannot be traded in back-to-back seasons.)

The going rate for a first-round draft pick is $3 million in cash, so it's easy to see why teams would want to move the pick if they can, and why some teams would pass on acquiring it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16305

mountainballer
05-25-2010, 02:56 AM
ok, hoopsworld, grain of salt etc.
but such reports are meanwhile coming from different sites.
and I also thought this why do they interview Cousins and Favors if they don't at least have a plan that could land them a top 3 pick.

IMO there are only 3 realistic trade up scenarios:
-Tony (ev. +#20, plus ev. Splitter): could be good for a top 3 pick.
- Splitter rights + #20pick: a nice and attractive offer for several team, but never ever brings back a top 3 pick. likely a #10-15 pick.
- #20pick + next years 1st rounder: could bring back a #16-18 pick.

admiralsnackbar
05-25-2010, 03:06 AM
While there are plenty of grounds for speculation, trading two proven players and a pick for an unproven rook seems risky in a way I've never known the Spurs FO to operate.

Are Cousins/Favors really worth betting the potential future core of the Spurs on?

It will be interesting to watch things unfold.

jesterbobman
05-25-2010, 03:30 AM
What about the value of taking on another contract. Jeffersons EC and 20 to Philly for Brands monstosity of a contract and #2?(I think, despite how much Brand has sucked, I might do that. We're over the cap anyway, and going for it fully whilst gaining a lottery pick would be of high value.)

I don't know whether other teams would be interested in Blair. Some Teams would like a Big Wide Body like him, but is Blair+20 enough to get #2?

mountainballer
05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Are Cousins/Favors really worth betting the potential future core of the Spurs on?

but this player would become the potential core of the future.

I think it all depends on Pop's and RC's estimation about Favors or Cousins. (this idea I don't like that much)
they worked enough with all time greats in Tim and Dave that they should recognize a franchise talent when they see it. if they see this in either player, I would say yes, it's worth whatever it takes.
maybe they see the next Dwight Howard in Favors, or the next Shaq in Cousins, while other teams just see the next Elton Brand and Zach Randolph. (which isn't that bad of course)
let's be honest. Spurs are not in the situation of Cavs or some other teams that are desperately looking for at least ONE title. the chance to get a 5th title with this core in the next 2 seasons is pretty slim, no matter what move they do this summer. and none would ever look at this 5th title as the ultimate success. we all know the Duncan era will be over soon. if the FO manages to build the foundation for a new era for the next 10-15 years via a big move this summer, they should not hesitate to try.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Cousins is lazy the only reason he is so hyped is because he was plaing aginst smaller dudes 1 on 1 he will be a bust in the nba id take favors over cousins.

mountainballer
05-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Cousins is lazy the only reason he is so hyped is because he was plaing aginst smaller dudes 1 on 1 he will be a bust in the nba id take favors over cousins.

I guess none would like the idea of the Spurs going hard for Cousins. (unlike Favors)
but fact is, they scheduled an interview with him. (which his agent canceled)
so his name is in the game. for whatever it is worth. like it or not.

admiralsnackbar
05-25-2010, 04:17 AM
but this player would become the potential core of the future.

I think it all depends on Pop's and RC's estimation about Favors or Cousins. (this idea I don't like that much)
they worked enough with all time greats in Tim and Dave that they should recognize a franchise talent when they see it. if they see this in either player, I would say yes, it's worth whatever it takes.
maybe they see the next Dwight Howard in Favors, or the next Shaq in Cousins, while other teams just see the next Elton Brand and Zach Randolph. (which isn't that bad of course)
let's be honest. Spurs are not in the situation of Cavs or some other teams that are desperately looking for at least ONE title. the chance to get a 5th title with this core in the next 2 seasons is pretty slim, no matter what move they do this summer. and none would ever look at this 5th title as the ultimate success. we all know the Duncan era will be over soon. if the FO manages to build the foundation for a new era for the next 10-15 years via a big move this summer, they should not hesitate to try.

While I'm leery of losing a player that has meant so much to three of our titles and another that seems so promising, you make excellent points as always, MB.

At the end of the day, all we can do is trust that the FO knows what they're doing. Fortunately, over the course of our good years, they have proven they do.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Oh yea and Cousins won't listen to coaches he got into numerous arguments with his coach at UK, so what do you think he's gonna do win pop yells at him.

admiralsnackbar
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Oh yea and Cousins won't listen to coaches he got into numerous arguments with his coach at UK, so what do you think he's gonna do win pop yells at him.

If your concerns have are legitimate, don't you think they will be even more apparent to teams that are scouting him -- be they Spurs or otherwise?

jesterbobman
05-25-2010, 04:48 AM
I think Cousins is just a further look at top big men. If you could pay a significantly smaller price to take on the 4th pick(MIN Trading up to get #2), and Cousins is there, is that a better option?
I think I generally agre with David Thorpe on Favors vs Cousins: Cousins is the Superior talent, but I'd take Favors as I think the chances of Favors working hard and succeeding are better. But If I got access to Cousins for an Interview, and he seemed fine both in expressed attitude and in psychometric testing, and it seemed like he's be there at 4, Trading to get the 4th pick would seem like a decent option. With the Current core, Favors seems like a better fit as a different option as a Speciman, but If your building long term, Cousins Post play and efficiency as a future #1 option could be equally attractive. It's a balance.

Of course, this could all be just posturing, Our big man rotation for next year already seems like it will be pretty good(Assuming Tiago comes over)

mountainballer
05-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Of course, this could all be just posturing, Our big man rotation for next year already seems like it will be pretty good(Assuming Tiago comes over)

it is. but I think IF such a move (trade for the #3 or #4 pick) can somehow be orchestrated, it will also involve parts of this current rotation. (either Splitter rights, or Blair. maybe even Dice if needed as a numbers filler)

Bruno
05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Spurs have also been said to be interested in George and Henry. I wouldn't be surprised to see tons of Spurs rumors before the draft. If you can't hide what you want to do, it's smart to create as much smokescreen as you can to create confusion. Interviewing a player like Favors isn't a move that is costly but it surely create a lot of smoke.

mountainballer
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
maybe Henry and George are a smokescreen as well......

Mel_13
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
What if there's so much smoke that there isn't any fire?

:depressed

jesterbobman
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree on the fact that a move for #3 probably involves Blair or another member of the non- Duncan big Rotation. Especially after Rod Thorn was the GM last year who talked about getting a Moose in the Paint(And Dejuan is the only guy who fits that Description from that draft). I could see them being interested in a trade with Blair as the centerpiece.

Ocotillo
05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I think it all depends on Pop's and RC's estimation about Favors or Cousins. they worked enough with all time greats in Tim and Dave that they should recognize a franchise talent when they see it. if they see this in either player, I would say yes, it's worth whatever it takes.
maybe they see the next Dwight Howard in Favors, or the next Shaq in Cousins, while other teams just see the next Elton Brand and Zach Randolph.

I guess you are saying by being so close to Robinson and Duncan over the past 20 years, they are able to recognize greatness but those two were consensus top picks the years they came out. I am not so sure that level of talent does not show itself prior to entering the league. If you are rolling the dice that someone will evolve to top 5 talent (which is what Big Dave and Tim were in their time), the odds are it's not going to happen.

In a round about way, what I am saying is the "can't miss" type of guys who surrounded with the right role players can get you some titles, are already defined as can't miss by the time they enter the draft.

lmbebo
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I guess you are saying by being so close to Robinson and Duncan over the past 20 years, they are able to recognize greatness but those two were consensus top picks the years they came out. I am not so sure that level of talent does not show itself prior to entering the league. If you are rolling the dice that someone will evolve to top 5 talent (which is what Big Dave and Tim were in their time), the odds are it's not going to happen.

In a round about way, what I am saying is the "can't miss" type of guys who surrounded with the right role players can get you some titles, are already defined as can't miss by the time they enter the draft.

Usually... but I don't think (but I may be very wrong) that people were that high on Dwayne Wade. Can't remember if he was picked 5th or 10th that year. He was overshadowed by Lebron and Carmelo if I'm not mistaken. But he's the one with a ring. Right now he'd be picked 2 or 3 if the draft was redone.

Ocotillo
05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
^^nice point

jesterbobman
05-27-2010, 12:08 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

"Jonathan Givony: I saw an article the other day where they quoted Rod Thorn, who is the president of the New Jersey Nets. He was saying, in his words, “Get me a moose. Get me someone who can defend, who can rebound, who can set screens, who can do all the dirty work.” To me that sounds like a description of you, would you describe yourself as a moose?

DeJuan Blair: That’s a pretty funny combination, I’ve been compared to Millsap, but I’ve never been compared to a moose. I’ll take it.

Jonathan Givony: If it’ll get you drafted 11th you’ll take it right?

DeJuan Blair: Oh heck yeah, a moose. That’s some funny stuff. "

Just to post that. Blair wouldn't be the most significant part of a deal(I mis-spoke calling him the Centerpiece I guess) but I do think he's an interesting prospect to them as a physical wide body in the paint, especially in the context of what Rod Thorn said last year.

I don't know if if a trade with NJ or Philly would actually happen, But If Parker and Blair go out for Harris and #3(presumably Favors), I could understand particular interest in Blair instead of #20 from their end).

Also, Chad Ford's 3rd mock is up. Notable movers:
Hayward at 8, Avery Bradley at 10, Udoh(down to 14), Whiteside(down to 24).

Babbitt also measured very well athletically.

rayray2k8
05-27-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

Just to post that. Blair wouldn't be the most significant part of a deal(I mis-spoke calling him the Centerpiece I guess) but I do think he's an interesting prospect to them as a physical wide body in the paint, especially in the context of what Rod Thorn said last year.

I don't know if if a trade with NJ or Philly would actually happen, But If Parker and Blair go out for Harris and #3(presumably Favors), I could understand particular interest in Blair instead of #20 from their end).

Also, Chad Ford's 3rd mock is up. Notable movers:
Hayward at 8, Avery Bradley at 10, Udoh(down to 14), Whiteside(down to 24).

Just to let you know, the sixers are leaning towards drafting Favors. So scrap this idea.

mountainballer
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
in his podcast on DX Jonathan Givony says that this is the deepest draft he has ever evaluated. (going back to 2004). let's hope he is right about this. #20 pick might get the value of a lottery pick in an average draft.

AFBlue
05-27-2010, 10:16 AM
What if there's so much smoke that there isn't any fire?

:depressed

One of the post-season quotes I remember from Pop was that the Spurs had gotten younger and more athletic...just not enough. That leads me to believe they'll be very aggressive in this draft. I don't know if that means a move up to the top 5, but it could definitely mean a move up into the teens and/or an attempt to acquire multiple picks.

AFBlue
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Just to let you know, the sixers are leaning towards drafting Favors. So scrap this idea.

It's early in the process and there's plenty of speculation going on at this point. It does the Sixers no good to lock into a specific player at this point...especially if there's still a possibility they move the pick.

Can't scrap any idea at this point. Spurs have the assets to land any pick in this draft other than #1.

mountainballer
05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
ok, copy from a copy. (from the realgm forum). let's assume it's still legit.

NBA DRAFT COMBINE MEASUREMENTS
Player - No step vert - Max vert - Bench press (185 lbs) - Lane agility - 3/4 court sprint
Solomon Alabi 22.5 26.0 10 13.2 3.68
Cole Aldrich 23.0 28.0 10 11.48 3.35
Aminu, Al-Farouq 27.0 33.5 13 11.29 3.3
James Anderson 30.0 35.5 14 11.86 3.19
Luke Babbitt 29.5 37.5 15 10.98 3.4
Eric Bledsoe -N-a -N-a 9 -N-a -N-a
Trevor Booker 31.0 36.0 22 11.15 3.1
Craig Brackins 26.0 35.0 6 11.65 3.39
Avery Bradley 31.5 37.5 2 11.47 3.14
Derrick Caracter 25.0 30.5 22 12.78 3.61
Sherron Collins 27.5 33.0 -N-a 12.31 3.24
DeMarcus Cousins 23.5 27.5 -N-a 11.4 3.55
Jordan Crawford 31.5 34.5 7 11.03 3.37
Ed Davis 31.0 36.0 -N-a 11.7 3.21
Devin Ebanks 23.5 32.0 6 11.69 3.44
Derrick Favors 31.5 35.5 14 11.74 3.25
Keith Gallon 23.5 28.5 14 13.44 3.7
Charles Garcia 24.5 30.5 2 11.65 3.23
Paul George -N-a -N-a 4 -N-a -N-a
Luke Harangody 24.0 28.5 23 11.83 3.41
Manny Harris -N-a -N-a 11 -N-a -N-a
Lazar Hayward 31.0 36.0 15 10.87 3.31
Gordon Hayward 30.5 34.5 10 11.73 3.22
Xavier Henry 28.5 36.5 8 11.1 3.18
Darington Hobson 29.0 34.0 -N-a 11.68 3.25
James, Damion 29.0 33.0 13 10.89 3.2
Armon Johnson 31.5 38.5 18 11.25 3.19
Wesley Johnson 32.0 37.0 16 11.43 3.14
Dominique Jones 26.0 32.5 19 10.88 3.31
Jerome Jordan -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
Sylven Landesberg 28.0 32.0 8 11.59 3.36
Gani Lawal 27.0 31.5 20 11.61 3.24
Greg Monroe 25.0 29.0 15 12.1 3.35
Daniel Orton 24.0 30.5 13 12.32 3.39
Artsiom Parakhouski 25.5 26.5 16 12.07 3.33
Patrick Patterson 28.5 33.5 17 11.14 3.25
Dexter Pittman -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
Andy Rautins 23.5 30.5 8 11.27 3.49
Ryan Richards 25.0 28.5 4 11.33 3.37
Stanley Robinson -N-a 37.5 6 11.65 3.23
Larry Sanders 25.5 28.0 7 12.49 3.27
Jon Scheyer -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
Lance Stephenson 27.0 33.0 10 11.39 3.38
Mikhail Torrance 23.0 32.0 8 11.43 3.17
Evan Turner 27.5 34.5 9 11.06 3.27
Ekpe Udoh 31.0 33.5 10 11.15 3.29
Jarvis Varnado 29.5 32.5 3 11.61 3.37
Greivis Vasquez -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a -N-a
John Wall 30.0 39.0 -N-a 10.84 3.14
Willie Warren 23.0 31.5 10 11.21 3.5
Terrico White 31.0 40.0 10 11.38 3.15
Hassan Whiteside 27.0 31.5 12 11.83 3.54

yavozerb
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
stanley robinson with only 6 reps at 185 lbs, ouch..

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
I was not impressed by Robinson's interview. Doesn't seem too bright.

Biggems
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I want to end up with these 3 players by the end of the draft

SF Paul George
G Mikhail Torrance
PF Mac Koshwal

We have only two picks, so we will have to acquire another via trade

Chieflion
05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
With the trade rumors of Tony Parker circulating like crazy, and it is only going to get worse in the off-season, with the Spurs contemplating on one of the most impactful and star-studded FA class, on a crossroads, they may trade Tony Parker for future assets. If that is the case, then the Spurs may select a point guard on draft day. So, this thread hopes to achieve comparing the different PGs or perhaps even guards who can be tried to convert to PG, just like Bradley, how the Spurs tried to make Hill add a little more to his game, although the depth and talent is a little weak. Most of the PGs can be had in the 2nd round.

1. John Wall (19 years old, Freshman, 1st pick overall)
2. Eric Bledsoe (19 years old, Freshman, late lottery to late 1st round pick)
3. Avery Bradley (19 years old, Freshman, mid 1st round pick to early 2nd round pick)
4. Terrico White (20 years old, Sophomore, late 1st round pick to mid 2nd round pick)
5. Armon Johnson (21 years old, Junior, early 2nd round pick to late 2nd round pick)
6. Alexey Shved (21 years old, International, mid 2nd round pick to undrafted)
7. Sherron Collins (23 years old, Senior, mid 2nd round pick to undrafted)
8. Jerome Randle (23 years old, Senior, mid 2nd round pick to undrafted)
9. Greivis Vasquez (23 years old, Senior, mid 2nd round pick to undrafted)
10. Mikhail Torrance (21 years old, International, mid 2nd round pick to undrafted)

kobyz
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
so i think this is our target:
1.Xavier Henry
2.Paul George
3.Luke Babbitt
4.Gordon Hayward

hope we'll get one of them

kobyz
05-30-2010, 08:45 AM
now the Jan Vesely decision to pull out from the draft seem to very hurt us, there good chance we will miss any of the good wings because of this one spot.

yavozerb
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
now the Jan Vesely decision to pull out from the draft seem to very hurt us, there good chance we will miss any of the good wings because of this one spot.

Donetas Motiejunas will be next to withdraw i believe, hurting the spurs even more..

kobyz
05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Donetas Motiejunas will be next to withdraw i believe, hurting the spurs even more..

even if he stay i don't think he is a top 20 pick

Mr Bones
05-30-2010, 12:00 PM
If you were making evaluations solely from the measurements (not that I recommend it, but it's an interesting exercise), here are a few observations:

-Solomon Alabi is perhaps the most intriguing player in the draft. 6' 11.5" w/o shoes, 7' 0.75" w/shoes, 237 pounds, 7' 5" wingspan, 9' 5" standing reach, 5.0% body fat. Get that kid in a weight room for about 2 years straight, and you could have a legitimate 7'1" center.

I was thinking the same thing until I saw his performances in the vertical leap, lane agility and three-quarter court sprint: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2010&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=15

They're about the worst numbers of the entire draft class, even for a 7 footer. Hassan Whiteside, who has similar measurements, outperformed him by a pretty large margin.

Mr Bones
05-30-2010, 12:09 PM

I think some people were beginning to pigeonhole Babbitt as a great shooter who wasn't athletic... but that's definitely not the case. His vertical leap and lane agility measurements were among the best of this draft class.

Bruno
05-30-2010, 12:09 PM
IMO, you can put players in 4 different tiers for Spurs first round pick:

Tier 1 : Players who won't be available at #20: (13 players)
Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Aminu, Wesley Johnson, Aldrich, Udoh, Monroe, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Henry and Hayward.

Tier 2 : Players who could be available at #20 but also have a good chance of being gone: (10 players)
Motiejunas, Orton, Whiteside, Sanders, George, Babbitt, Damion James, Avery Bradley, James Anderson, Eric Bledsoe.

Tier 3 : Players who should be available at #20 and look like legit options: (10 players)
Alabi, Seraphin, Lawal, Stanley Robinson, Ebanks, Pondexter,
Elli0t Williams, Willie Warren, Armon Johnson, Terrico White

Tier 4: Players that are a reach to be drafted at #20

Libri
05-30-2010, 01:18 PM
IMO, you can put players in 4 different tiers for Spurs first round pick:

Tier 1 : Players who won't be available at #20: (13 players)
Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, Aminu, Wesley Johnson, Aldrich, Udoh, Monroe, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Henry and Hayward.

Tier 2 : Players who could be available at #20 but also have a good chance of being gone: (10 players)
Motiejunas, Orton, Whiteside, Sanders, George, Babbitt, Damion James, Avery Bradley, James Anderson, Eric Bledsoe.

Tier 3 : Players who should be available at #20 and look like legit options: (10 players)
Alabi, Seraphin, Lawal, Stanley Robinson, Ebanks, Pondexter,
Elli0t Williams, Willie Warren, Armon Johnson, Terrico White

Tier 4: Players that are a reach to be drafted at #20

This means that four among those tier 2 players will be available to the Spurs. Hopefully George and Babbitt will be among those players. :tu

Bruno
05-30-2010, 03:26 PM
This means that four among those tier 2 players will be available to the Spurs. Hopefully George and Babbitt will be among those players. :tu

It could be 3 if Motiejunas withdraw.

Right now, my list of good picks for Spurs at #20 is the "tier 1" plus Whiteside, Orton, Sanders, Motiejunas, George and Babbitt. That's 18 or 19 players depending on Motiejunas choice. I just hope Spurs won't be in the worst case scenario where all these players are gone at #20.

mogrovejo
05-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey Bruno, how is Seraphin doing in the playoffs? Did he get injured in the last game? Has he been showing improvements on his game? In which aspects?

Bruno
05-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey Bruno, how is Seraphin doing in the playoffs? Did he get injured in the last game? Has he been showing improvements on his game? In which aspects?

Séraphin injured his knee in his last game.

I've barely watched French league this year (the level sucks), so I can't make you a accurate description of Séraphin improvements (or lack of). Now, he is just averaging 6/4, I guess he isn't that great.

Séraphin's agent, Bouna N'Diaye, also said today that Séraphin should directly come to the NBA and not be stashed in Europe if he stays in the draft.

mogrovejo
05-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Noted, thanks. I assume the knee injury isn't serious.

Biggems
05-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Since, I don't see Ian coming back, and Splitter is not a guarantee, I would love for us to acquire a couple of additional 2nd round picks......

1 - SF George
2 - G Torrance
2 - C Pittman
2 - F/C Koshwal

This way, if we are able to acquire Splitter, we will be loaded with bigs

C - Splitter, McDyess, Pittman
PF - Duncan, Blair, Koshwal
SF - Jefferson, George, Bogans
SG - Manu, Torrance, Gee/Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, Temple