PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Not Getting Gortat

Pages : [1] 2

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I just heard on a mavs forum that the Magic GM is going to use Gortat for trading value and will match.

spursballer21
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
confused explain better

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
The Magic will match the offer the mavs have so they can use him to trade for a later time. Also their bench is very thin right now. They need all the help they can. So Dallas is victimized by a couple free agents leaving Orlando this offseason.

mavs>spurs2
07-12-2009, 02:51 PM
If this is true then I guess you got your wish you little shit

loveforthegame
07-12-2009, 02:54 PM
That would suck for the Mavs. Not much left on the market either. I guess they'd go after Big Baby Davis??

sribb43
07-12-2009, 02:58 PM
That would suck for the Mavs. Not much left on the market either. I guess they'd go after Big Baby Davis??

:depressed

mavs>spurs2
07-12-2009, 03:00 PM

as a center?? i'd rather just go ahead and mail it in. if we don't get someone who can contest shots then we're done for.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I just heard on a mavs forum that the Magic GM is going to use Gortat for trading value and will match.

Provide a link you dumbass fucking Bulls fan.

Avitus1
07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Sucks for the Mavs.

sribb43
07-12-2009, 03:05 PM
another stupid ass thread title that proves nothing more than some fuckin' idiot on the internet typing something...

redzero
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Stay away from my Big Baby. He's mine! Mine! Mine!

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
If this is true then I guess you got your wish you little shit
Orlando needs Gortat to win against LAL. Dallas equals old team that needs to rebuild. We are just delaying what eventually will need to be done.

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 03:16 PM
That would suck major ass for the Mavs.

clambake
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Orlando needs Gortat to win against LAL. Dallas equals old team that needs to rebuild. We are just delaying what eventually will need to be done.

what needs to be done? are you saying just to blow it up? if so, then what?

poop
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
hahahaha mavs = owned

Basketballgirl25
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
well if he will make the Magic better then by all means I say the Magic should try and keep him, if they can get someone as good or maybe better then let him got:toast

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 03:20 PM
what needs to be done? are you saying just to blow it up? if so, then what?
Get younger. Kidd is a major liability on defense and can't take players off the dribble, Dampier will be worse, Nowitzki will be worse, Howard will be worse, Terry will be worse. Everyone is too damn old. This team would've been great 3 years ago.

Spursfan092120
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/mark-cuban-sirius.jpg http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/128347587844687500fail.jpg

GuerillaBlack
07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Get younger. Kidd is a major liability on defense and can't take players off the dribble, Dampier will be worse, Nowitzki will be worse, Howard will be worse, Terry will be worse. Everyone is too damn old. This team would've been great 3 years ago.

Should have pulled a Rockets this year.

clambake
07-12-2009, 03:29 PM

so, we should probably just cut these guys.....because every GM in the league agrees with that opinion.....i mean.....what can you expect to get for all those washed up players?

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
so, we should probably just cut these guys.....because every GM in the league agrees with that opinion.....i mean.....what can you expect to get for all those washed up players?
Younger players. Give it to teams that are actual threats like Orlando, Cleveland,or Denver. Just not the lakers. lol

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Gortat is a bitch anyway

mavs>spurs2
07-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Dude, if we sign Gortat that IS getting younger, and these moves plus moving Dampier for something good puts us in a position to make some noise next season. A real fan roots for his team to do everything in their power to better themselves. A faggot roots for another team to lose over seeing his own team win. And btw Gortat isn't the difference in Orlando, he'll only see spot minutes playing behind superman

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Will the bitchass Bulls fan who started this thread provide a link or some other form of proof?

This is all complete bullshit until we see proof.

clambake
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Will the bitchass Bulls fan who started this thread provide a link or some other form of proof?

This is all complete bullshit until we see proof.

maybe we're just too old to see the proof.

BUMP
07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Dude, if we sign Gortat that IS getting younger, and these moves plus moving Dampier for something good puts us in a position to make some noise next season. A real fan roots for his team to do everything in their power to better themselves. A faggot roots for another team to lose over seeing his own team win. And btw Gortat isn't the difference in Orlando, he'll only see spot minutes playing behind superman

Exactly.

Who the hell roots for their own team to fail just so another one will win a championship??

the guy's a major tool.

And not getting Gortat is not the end of the world. I think he's overrated anyway. I mean if we get him cool, if not who cares? He averages like 3 ppg anyway. I think Hollins and Singleton with their energy can be just as efficient once they get a little more experience.

Losing Bass sucks though:depressed

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
maybe we're just too old to see the proof.

:lol

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 03:45 PM
How about this, mavsfan1000 (who is a Bulls fan). If the Mavs sign Gortat, you never post here again. If the Magic match and the Mavs don't get Gortat, I'll never post here again.

Deal?

Obstructed_View
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I call BS until there's a link.

Knoxxx
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Why would anyone want Dampier and his crappy contract? Have you been able to come up with one scenario that makes sense? That is laughable to me, Cubes will need to ride that one out, like so many other stupid deals he has made.

Ignignokt
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/10/gortat-disappointed-that-magic-might-match-mavs-offer-sheet/

Ignignokt
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/marcin-gortat-i-have-a-feeling-magic-wil.html

gtownspur
07-12-2009, 04:02 PM
How about this, mavsfan1000 (who is a Bulls fan). If the Mavs sign Gortat, you never post here again. If the Magic match and the Mavs don't get Gortat, I'll never post here again.

Deal?

dont like this bet at all.

BUMP
07-12-2009, 04:04 PM
"He is like an iceberg. You just never know about him. He can laugh. He can smile, and at the end of the day, it's no, no, no, they aren't going to match, and all of a sudden I'm finding out they might match.''

That doesn't make any sense

cobbler
07-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Deal?

Apparently you haven't been reading all the news that the Magic are indeed looking to match the offer. Then again, your bet to never post is just another idle threat much like SD did. You wouldn't be man enough to be true to your word. IMO

DxB
07-12-2009, 04:53 PM
hahah if this is true its hilarious how pissed off its making the mavs fans! I love it!

Mavs = losers 4 life...

Spursfan092120
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Deal?
don't offer that dude..we'd miss you too much...seriously...I've got a bad feeling about his when it comes to Dallas...and I don't want you to not post here anymore.

Amarelooms
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
hahah if this is true its hilarious how pissed off its making the mavs fans! I love it!

Mavs = losers 4 life...

Wow yeah...relax there homo. Gortat is not gonna be the difference for winning a ring. Mavs will just sign couple decent players including a backup center. Regardless Mavs own your team :elephant

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Deal?

Mono, don't do it. I think you're one of the few Mav fans whose posts I can handle here. Not worth it dude.:hat

Spursfan092120
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Mono, don't do it. I think you're one of the few Mav fans whose posts I can handle here. Not worth it dude.:hat
:tu

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Apparently you haven't been reading all the news that the Magic are indeed looking to match the offer. Then again, your bet to never post is just another idle threat much like SD did. You wouldn't be man enough to be true to your word. IMO
Yep he did this before and didn't live up to it. I would say it is 60/40 Magic get Gortat.

TD4THREE
07-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Regardless Mavs own your team :elephant The spurs and mavs have an even playoff series record of 2-2; Only a Mavs fan would consider that ownage. :lol

Dex
07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, there will always be those times you got past the Spurs.

BlackSwordsMan
07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
who will I discuss homosexuality with if mono is gone? :(

JamStone
07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Not a good bet for SpursTalk.

mono's a dick, but he's still a great poster like 90% of the time.

mavsfan1000 is a dick, plus he's worthless as a poster.

td4mvp21
07-12-2009, 05:28 PM

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Plus, who doesn't love Donnie Nelson troll?

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Links anybody? Maybe this thing is just being blown out of proportion.

duncan228
07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Links anybody? Maybe this thing is just being blown out of proportion.

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/marcin-gortat-i-have-a-feeling-magic-wil.html

Here's the blog from Ignignokt's link.

Marcin Gortat: I have a feeling Magic will match offer (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/marcin-gortat-i-have-a-feeling-magic-wil.html)
Tim MacMahon

The Mavericks expect the Magic to decline to match their midlevel exception offer to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat.

But the big man is hearing otherwise in Orlando.

"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat told Fanhouse today between Summer League Games (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/10/gortat-disappointed-that-magic-might-match-mavs-offer-sheet/). "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of down right now. Either way, I'll end up on a pretty good team.''

That'd be a bummer for Gortat, who gets paid either way but wants the chance to become a starter for the Mavericks.

It was thought that the Magic signing Brandon Bass to a four-year, $18 million deal further increased the odds that they wouldn't match the offer to Gortat. But Orlando GM Otis Smith told Fanhouse that bringing Bass to town doesn't have anything to do with their decision on Gortat.

"I've said all along, I think the number (his contract) is a little high,'' Smith said. "But that doesn't change how we think. One thing (signing Bass) doesn't have anything to do with the other (matching Gortat). I'm still working on a few other things, and until those transpire, it's kind of premature to say what we're going to do.''

Said Gortat: "He is like an iceberg. You just never know about him. He can laugh. He can smile, and at the end of the day, it's no, no, no, they aren't going to match, and all of a sudden I'm finding out they might match.''

If Orlando opts to keep Gortat, that's a big blow to the Mavs. There isn't another young, athletic big man on the market ready to step into their starting lineup.

Shank
07-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I believe everything I read on the Internet.

Except this. They can get Ratliff to be just as servicable and cheaper.

Shank
07-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Those links are 4 days old. Shit, that's half of the waiting period since he said those things.

wireonfire
07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
The Magic will match and then trade him to the Rockets.

Rogue
07-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Gortat is a bitch anyway
Despite your stupidity Gortat is actually overrated and far below MLE worth, I think it would be a good news if the Magic took him back. Our full MLE would be used more wisely on some other players like Felton.

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/Cuban%2520Dancing.jpg

Shank
07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
The Magic will match and then trade him to the Rockets.

How? He can't even be moved for 90 days if they match. Besides, that still doesn't let the Magic off the hook for the tax - the point of contention in re-signing Gortat in the first place. That wouldn't make sense on their end.

Shank
07-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Despite your stupidity Gortat is actually overrated and far below MLE worth, I think it would be a good news if the Magic took him back. Our full MLE would be used more wisely on some other players like Felton.

So you'd be happy in keeping Dampier for another season and adding something they don't need in another PG when Kidd, Barea and Robo are all in line already?

clambake
07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/Cuban%2520Dancing.jpg

that chick is hot, but who's the blonde?

Spursmania
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM
that chick is hot, but who's the blonde?

Findog
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Gortat can't be moved until December 15th if the Magic match. I honestly don't know what Otis Smith is going to do, but if I had to bet, they won't match. Nothing would surprise me though.

Findog
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
What is this thread about?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3715009916_f246ff663c_o.jpg

Texas Chili Dog
07-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Shank
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Gortat can't be moved until December 15th if the Magic match. I honestly don't know what Otis Smith is going to do, but if I had to bet, they won't match. Nothing would surprise me though.

What sense does it make for the Magic to match? Smith is trying to put a team together, not keep a fan favorite around. Financially, it's not a smart move for the Magic. They have other options they can pursue. If the Mavs had offered a 3-year deal, I could see the Magic matching. But for 5 AND the tax on top of it, I don't see it.

I do love, though, all the Spurs and Rockets fans now clamoring to trade their bullshit for a guy most thought was overrated days earlier.

Findog
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
What sense does it make for the Magic to match? Smith is trying to put a team together, not keep a fan favorite around. Financially, it's not a smart move for the Magic. They have other options they can pursue. If the Mavs had offered a 3-year deal, I could see the Magic matching. But for 5 AND the tax on top of it, I don't see it.

I do love, though, all the Spurs and Rockets fans now clamoring to trade their bullshit for a guy most thought was overrated days earlier.

I can see Orlando matching. I understand Smith doesn't want to lose a big with potential like that for nothing. It obviously doesn't make sense to keep him chained to the bench when you have Howard in front of him. I just wonder if he realizes that the Marion trade could've been done w/o Orlando's participation and the Mavs netted them a trade exception. Plus, I don't think it's any coincidence that Bass went to Orlando and Cuban elected not to offer him more money and make it worth his while financially to stay in Dallas. A TE and Bass for Gortat is a heck of an exchange. I just hope Smith doesn't get greedy and matches. I'd say 70-80% chance Gortat becomes a Mav.

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Why would Orlando want to give up Gortat for nothing? They probably can play Gortat as backup power forward as well. Bass will probably disappoint and than Gortat will get some minutes there or move Howard to PF.

BUMP
07-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Why would Orlando want to give up Gortat for nothing? They probably can play Gortat as backup power forward as well. Bass will probably disappoint and than Gortat will get some minutes there or move Howard to PF.

:rolleyes

No way this guy is really a Mavs fan.

He's like the polar opposite of SpursDynasty

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
:rolleyes

No way this guy is really a Mavs fan.

He's like the polar opposite of SpursDynasty
Yes I am. Why would I fake being a mavs fan? I'm just a realist. I never cared for Bass's game as it is so one-dimensional. He is not starting material.

BUMP
07-12-2009, 07:57 PM
They didn't sign Bass to be a starter anyway.

PG-Alston
SG-Lee
SF-Carter
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

And to say that they re-sign somebody because they think a free agent they just signed will "probably disappoint" doesn't make much sense.

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

PG-Alston
SG-Lee
SF-Carter
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

And to say that they re-sign somebody because they think a free agent they just signed will "probably disappoint" doesn't make much sense.

Lee is gone son

MavDynasty
07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

PG-Alston
SG-Lee
SF-Carter
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

Lee got traded in the Carter deal im pretty sure,and i think they are going to start VC at the 2 and let Lewis play his natural pos. at the 3

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 08:01 PM

PG-Alston
SG-Lee
SF-Carter
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

Alston is gone too

BUMP
07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
happens to the best of us sons :oops

MavDynasty
07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
And even if Alston wasn't gone,why would they start him over Nelson lol

mavsfan1000
07-12-2009, 08:04 PM

PG-Alston
SG-Lee
SF-Carter
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

Alston and Lee are gone. That is why they need Gortat. To save face for an ugly offseason. Less guards equal less time for smallball.

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Magic don't have a huge advantage over Cavs without twp 6'10 players who can shoot lights out.

sribb43
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Why would anyone want Dampier and his crappy contract? Have you been able to come up with one scenario that makes sense? That is laughable to me, Cubes will need to ride that one out, like so many other stupid deals he has made.

obviously, you are clueless

Shank
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I can see Orlando matching. I understand Smith doesn't want to lose a big with potential like that for nothing. It obviously doesn't make sense to keep him chained to the bench when you have Howard in front of him. I just wonder if he realizes that the Marion trade could've been done w/o Orlando's participation and the Mavs netted them a trade exception. Plus, I don't think it's any coincidence that Bass went to Orlando and Cuban elected not to offer him more money and make it worth his while financially to stay in Dallas. A TE and Bass for Gortat is a heck of an exchange. I just hope Smith doesn't get greedy and matches. I'd say 70-80% chance Gortat becomes a Mav.

If they do match Gortat, they're paying a shitload in tax AND they'll have to fill the holes in the roster with a bunch of scrubs with the money they don't have (and pay tax on top of that, too). It doesn't make sense for Orlando. Why sign 1 guy and end up paying double in taxes when you can get 2-3 better options for less?

Smith and Donnie have a good history, though. On top of GMs screwing each other, it would be two friends doing the same. But I'm not even worried about that. It's the money on the Magic's end that leads me to believe they won't match.

sook
07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Should have pulled a Rockets this year.

:lol:lol

Knoxxx
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
obviously, you are clueless

How so? Cuban runs $95-$100 million payrolls and still can't buy a championship. You think I dreamed that up? It's weak management, obviously.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
how so? Cuban runs $95-$100 million payrolls and still can't buy a championship. You think i dreamed that up? It's weak management, obviously.

+1

IronMexican
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
+1

You seriously watch MLS? The quality is so bad. Might as well watch D-2 Football and the AFL.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
You seriously watch MLS? The quality is so bad. Might as well watch D-2 Football and the AFL.

That must be why the Galaxy gave Beckham a 250 million dollar contract

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
How so? Cuban runs $95-$100 million payrolls and still can't buy a championship. You think I dreamed that up? It's weak management, obviously.

obviously you're still clueless

MWILL
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Old News! That article was written before Orlando signed Bass.

I wouldn't worry about this too much.

lefty
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
LMAO Mavs

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm fairly confident Gortat will be a Mav. It will be utterly bushleague if Orlando matches at the last minute, tying up our MLE for the next few days and raiding us of a quality player after our guys essentially provided them a trade exception and Bass.

I refuse to believe anyone is that much of a gutless swine :)

exstatic
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
If Orlando matches, it will be because they have a deal in place already, and they'll execute it the day they can. Someone probably called them up and said "we were going to offer you _____ for Gortat" and O said "OK".

The tax think only comes into play at the END of the season. If they offload Gortat to a team with a trade exception or cap room enough to absorb his salary before the Feb deadline, voila, no tax.

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
If Orlando matches, it will be because they have a deal in place already, and they'll execute it the day they can. Someone probably called them up and said "we were going to offer you _____ for Gortat" and O said "OK".

The tax think only comes into play at the END of the season. If they offload Gortat to a team with a trade exception or cap room enough to absorb his salary before the Feb deadline, voila, no tax.

You are wrong in so many ways, I don't even know where to start.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Then again, your bet to never post is just another idle threat much like SD did.

I'm one of the few guys to man up and actually keep my word on a bet. SpursDynasty and I had a deal where the loser of the Mavs-Warriors series was out for the rest of the playoffs. The Mavs lost, and I kept my end of the bargain.

I wouldn't expect you to know this since you're another post-Gasol trade Laker fan to join here, so no surprises here.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM
You are wrong in so many ways, I don't even know where to start.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
They can't trade Gortat until December 15th. Say they wanted to trade him to a center-starved team like the Houston Rockets. Houston had their chance to get Gortat on the open market and they didn't step up and offer the same contract as Dallas. They probably don't want Gortat at the full MLE for 5 years. Any team that didn't want to match Dallas' offer for Gortat, why would they give up an asset 3 months down the line when all it would've cost them was the full MLE in the summer?

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
What if the Magic did have some magical deal in place and Gortat blows out a knee in the 90 days? Then what? The trade is off and the Magic are stuck with their backup, injured center costing the team $12 million/year.

Then again, that sounds like something the Rockets would covet anyway.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
What if the Magic did have some magical deal in place and Gortat blows out a knee in the 90 days? Then what? The trade is off and the Magic are stuck with their backup, injured center costing the team $12 million/year.

Then again, that sounds like something the Rockets would covet anyway.

LMAO @ Dirk for Kobe

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
LMAO @ Dirk for Kobe

What?

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
LMAO @ Dirk for Kobe

That trade was never a possibility. The Lakers weren't going to do anything with Kobe until the summer of 2008 if he was still unhappy. You might try doing research before you post on things you know nothing about.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
That trade was never a possibility.

Cuban already confirmed that the deal was on the table and that he turned it down.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
You might try doing research before you post on things you know nothing about.

The deal was on the table

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Cuban already confirmed that the deal was on the table and that he turned it down.

It's my understanding that the talks reached the ownership stage. I don't believe the Lakers were going to do Kobe for Dirk straight up. And even if both ownership groups agreed, it wouldn't have mattered bc Kobe had a no-trade clause and made it explicitly clear he wanted to go to Dallas to play WITH Dirk, not with Jason Terry and Josh Howard. They had no incentive to do anything with Kobe until the summer of 2008, since he had the original opt-out clause for this summer.

Bottom line: Kobe for Dirk was NEVER a possibility, and it's not Cuban's fault.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
The deal was on the table

Kobe had to agree to it, and he wasn't going to. Do some research.

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
...and here's where we make a sharp left turn for no fucking reason whatsoever.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
It's my understanding that the talks reached the ownership stage. I don't believe the Lakers were going to do Kobe for Dirk straight up. And even if both ownership groups agreed, it wouldn't have mattered bc Kobe had a no-trade clause and made it explicitly clear he wanted to go to Dallas to play WITH Dirk, not with Jason Terry and Josh Howard. They had no incentive to do anything with Kobe until the summer of 2008, since he had the original opt-out clause for this summer.

Ever heard of a multiple team trade?

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
The reason the Lakers couldn't trade Kobe is because you had to make three parties happy, and it wasn't possible:

1) The Lakers had to get back a significant haul to remain in contention for a post-Kobe era

2) his new team couldn't be gutted since he'd be in the same boat as in LA.

3) Kobe had to be happy with his new team: that means he'd get a contract extension and an adequate supporting cast.

Kobe for Dirk was never going to happen, and it's not Cuban's fault it didn't go down.

monosylab1k

Whether Kobe would have agreed to it or not is irrelevant. The Lakers offered up Kobe for Dirk, and Cuban said no. Kobe never had a chance to decide on it.

Shank

Oh, so now there's some mythical multi-team trade we've never heard about.

Who was in this trade? Was it a good one?

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Just answer me this question, why did Cuban fire Avery?

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Ever heard of the Collective Bargaining Agreement? What 3-team trade would be legal under the CBA, would give the Lakers a foundation of talent to build on, would give Kobe's new team an adequate supporting cast, and what would be the motivation of the 3rd team to join in these talks?

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Just answer me this question, why did Cuban fire Avery?

He fired Avery bc he had lost the trust of his players after the Miami/Golden State series and he had turned into a micro-managing freak. Any other questions?

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Kobe-Dirk-Carmelo-Bosh-Wade.

5-team swap. Fuck it.

Cuban's a pussy for not accepting this awesome trade I just came up with 3 years ago.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
1) The Lakers had to get back a significant haul to remain in contention for a post-Kobe era

Apparently getting Dirk back was enough because the Lakers put that offer out on the table.

2) his new team couldn't be gutted since he'd be in the same boat as in LA.

That supporting cast helped Dirk win 67 regular season games, Kobe probably would like Devin Harris & Josh Howard a tad bit better than Smush Parker & Luke Walton.

3) Kobe had to be happy with his new team: that means he'd get a contract extension and an adequate supporting cast.

See my last point.

The deal was on the table, and Cuban rejected it before he even had the chance to see if Kobe would go for it. Because he's fucking retarded.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Kobe-Dirk-Carmelo-Bosh-Wade.

5-team swap. Fuck it.

Cuban's a pussy for not accepting this awesome trade I just came up with 3 years ago.

We both know what Cuban said. It came straight from him. Why do Mavs fans want to pretend this never happened? HE FUCKING SAID IT DID.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Whether Kobe would have agreed to it or not is irrelevant. The Lakers offered up Kobe for Dirk, and Cuban said no. Kobe never had a chance to decide on it.

Kobe's no-trade clause is completely relevant. Kobe for Dirk is like talking about whether or not the USS Enterprise could defeat a Klingon Bird of Prey in a space battle, or whether or not Han Solo or Captain Kirk is a bigger swinging dick with the chicks. It's just much ado about make believe. Kobe made it clear he wanted to come to Dallas to play with Dirk...so in the event that Cuban agreed, it wouldn't have mattered. Kobe wasn't coming to Dallas.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Apparently getting Dirk back was enough because the Lakers put that offer out on the table.

Irrelevant with Kobe's no-trade clause

That supporting cast helped Dirk win 67 regular season games, Kobe probably would like Devin Harris & Josh Howard a tad bit better than Smush Parker & Luke Walkton.

Irrelevant with Kobe's no-trade clause.

The deal was on the table, and Cuban rejected it before he even had the chance to see if Kobe would go for it. Because he's fucking retarded.

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Why are we doing this?

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
He fired Avery bc he had lost the trust of his players after the Miami/Golden State series and he had turned into a micro-managing freak. Any other questions?

Ok, neither series was his fault, D-Wade just got whistles for everything, GS won that series b/c Don Nelson knew the structure of that team because he coached them. Their best chance was with Avery, just saying

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Kobe made it clear he wanted to come to Dallas to play with Dirk...so in the event that Cuban agreed, it wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah but Mark & Donnie say that everybody wants to play in Dallas "because it's Dallas". You're telling me Mark couldn't at least have said "Let me talk to Kobe and see what he thinks, maybe i can convince him to accept the trade"?

Mark turned the trade down without even trying any of that, because he overrated Dirk. Bottom line.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Irrelevant with Kobe's no-trade clause

"Because it's Dallas"

Shank
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok, neither series was his fault, D-Wade just got whistles for everything, GS won that series b/c Don Nelson knew the structure of that team because he coached them. Their best chance was with Avery, just saying

Don't you have a crippled Oriental and a lazy-eyed vagina to worry about?

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah but Mark & Donnie say that everybody wants to play in Dallas "because it's Dallas". You're telling me Mark couldn't at least have said "Let me talk to Kobe and see what he thinks, maybe i can convince him to accept the trade"?

Mark turned the trade down without even trying any of that, because he overrated Dirk. Bottom line.

If you want to make fun of Cuban for not considering it, fine. But to make fun of the Mavericks because they couldn't get Kobe in the blue and green? Not fair and inaccurate.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM

I'm just wondering what non-Dirk trade Kobe would've agreed to. What would the Lakers have taken in lieu of Dirk? Josh, Jet and Devin?

Trading Kobe and satisfying all parties involved was just impossible.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
http://box308.bluehost.com/~dallasba/fullColumn.php?id=1728

Wouldn't it be easier to just tear the whole thing down, trade Dirk, and build from scratch?

Cuban: "Hypothetically, if we were trading Dirk, it's just as hard if not harder to get it right in getting the right players back, because no one's gonna give up somebody that's 'an automatic superstar who takes you to the Finals and win a championship' player. You have just as much risk in saying, 'They're willing to trade Player A and Player B for Dirk, now what do we have and how do we know that's gonna make us better.' "

He also revealed they'd had just that sort of discussion on a Kobe-for-Dirk swap in the past (specifically in the summer of 2007), but ultimately said no because they felt like they would be trading away a player who had been carrying his team to the Finals without much help for a player who had been struggling just to make the playoffs with a similar caliber of supporting cast.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Don't you have a crippled Oriental and a lazy-eyed vagina to worry about?

Naw, just patiently waiting for 2010

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Trading Kobe and satisfying all parties involved was just impossible.

You don't know that. None of us do. Cuban never let it get that far.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
according to Cuban

Dirk > Kobe
Josh = Luke Walton
Devin = Smush Parker

just saying

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Which makes it even more baffling that Josh is such an untouchable, incredible player now. Back in 2007 he was just another scrub would wouldn't help any more than the average scrub on the 07 Lakers.

Findog
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
You don't know that. None of us do. Cuban never let it get that far.

I know that Kobe made it clear he wouldn't entertain a trade of himself for Dirk, and that his biggest frustration in LA up to that point was that he did not have a bona fide #2 beside him since Shaq left. The whole point of trading him was so he would have that person alongside him.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Hmmm...no, I don't think so.

Actually, I think it does. It means Saint Diego.

Well. Agree to disagree.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Hindsight being 20/20, Avery had his team milk the shot clock instead of running their offense down the stretch in Game 3 of the Finals. He also constantly doubled Shaq in that series while Wade was torching them. Against the Warriors, he went away from the lineup that had won 67 games in the regular season and started Devean George at C to "match up better" with a 42-win 8 seed. The players deserve plenty of blame as well, but Avery had lost the locker room. When a coach loses the confidence of his players, his effectiveness is compromised. Why is this hard to understand? Avery's firing didn't mean that Cuban and Donnie held him responsible for every single failure or flaw with the franchise.

monosylab1k
07-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Seriously, can someone answer my last query?

Cuban thinks 2007 Mavs supporting cast = 2007 Lakers supporting cast. He obviously doesn't think highly of Josh Howard if he is saying that Josh isn't any better than anybody on the 07 Lakers supporting cast.

Fast forward a year later, after Josh purposely tanks the season, plays terribly, admits to smoking weed, etc......and suddenly Josh is this bad ass baller who is mentioned as a part of a Big Three that rivals any other Big Three in the league?

djohn2oo8
07-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Hindsight being 20/20, Avery had his team milk the shot clock instead of running their offense down the stretch in Game 3 of the Finals. He also constantly doubled Shaq in that series while Wade was torching them. Against the Warriors, he went away from the lineup that had won 67 games in the regular season and started Devean George at C to "match up better" with a 42-win 8 seed. The players deserve plenty of blame as well, but Avery had lost the locker room. When a coach loses the confidence of his players, his effectiveness is compromised. Why is this hard to understand? Avery's firing didn't mean that Cuban and Donnie held him responsible for every single failure or flaw with the franchise.

Ok, I agree, all I'm sayin is that when players lose confidence in a coach, someone on the team has to step up, and lead

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Seriously, can someone answer my last query?

Cuban thinks 2007 Mavs supporting cast = 2007 Lakers supporting cast. He obviously doesn't think highly of Josh Howard if he is saying that Josh isn't any better than anybody on the 07 Lakers supporting cast.

Fast forward a year later, after Josh purposely tanks the season, plays terribly, admits to smoking weed, etc......and suddenly Josh is this bad ass baller who is mentioned as a part of a Big Three that rivals any other Big Three in the league?

I would think it's very hard to say when these guys are telling the truth and when they're blowing smoke up people's asses. They said constantly in the months before the Kidd trade that they loved their team and they specifically weren't looking to trade for Kidd, even though talks between him and Thorn had gone on for months! I don't know how you decipher when these guys are being honest about their intentions and when they're trying to obscure their motives from other clubs.

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Kobe is not that much better than Dirk that it would have netted us a championship the past 2 years.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:24 PM
http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/448106063

Hmmmm...

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 11:26 PM
^ Is that supposed to worry us?:(

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:26 PM
http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/448106063

Hmmmm...

Is that guy an Orlando-area Shank?

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Have no idea about Gortat. I'm prepared for the possibility that we won't get him.

Ghazi
07-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Any backup plan ideas if we don't get him ?

I'm starting to think dreadful, dreadful thoughts!

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/orl-sportsmagic-free-agents-12071209jul12,0,5150864.story

This is from today:

By signing Brandon Bass on Friday to a four-year, $18 million deal, the Orlando Magic acquired one of their top targets this free-agency period, a young power forward who can rebound, shoot effectively and run the floor.

But the Magic still have work to do on their front line especially if, as expected, they don't match the Dallas Mavericks' five-year, $34 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat. When and if Gortat is allowed to leave for Texas, the Magic will need someone who can spell Dwight Howard at center during games and man the position if Howard gets hurt. After all, that was the role that made Gortat so valuable during the Magic's run to the NBA Finals.

"It's important for us to look at our front line," Magic General Manager Otis Smith said. "We just didn't have a lot of size once we traded away Tony and we lost a couple of guys in free agency. So, we didn't have any size. Getting some size [that Bass provides] — he may not be tall, but he's got broad shoulders, and he's a wide body — that was important to us. And we still have some work to do, obviously, as it relates to bigs. So, we're nowhere near done because you still lack size."

Orlando used part of its mid-level exception of $5,854,000 to sign Bass and can use the remainder to lure more free agents.

[B]That said, money is starting to get tight. In addition to a backup big man, the Magic still want a wing player and another backup point guard. Yet even with just nine players under contract, the Magic's payroll now has risen to about $72 million and into luxury-tax territory. Any amount above $69.92 million is taxed dollar-for-dollar, and that's one reason why re-signing a backup like Gortat for so much money would be painful.

So, any remaining free agents the Magic will target likely will be relative bargains. Some of the free-agent centers still available are Jason Collins, Francisco Elson, Ryan Hollins and Theo Ratliff. The pool of wing players is deeper and includes former FSU player Von Wafer, Orlando native Marquis Daniels and former Magic player Keith Bogans. Wafer's agent said the Magic are an attractive option for his client.

Bass did not start a game last season because the Mavericks had Dirk Nowitzki at power forward. Bass did play some center, but at 6 feet 8, that's not a natural position for him.

Still, Bass gives the Magic options for their starting lineup. Both Smith and Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy acknowledged that Bass could crack Orlando's starting lineup at power forward and allow Rashard Lewis to move to the small-forward spot, Lewis' more natural position.

Van Gundy said: "One of the things I think Otis has done in the past and is doing again is giving us a roster not only with talent but one with versatility where we will have a lot of options in terms of the kind of lineups we put on the floor."

Smith has until July 15 to match Gortat's offer sheet, and though Smith said he's decided what he'll do, he hasn't made his intention public. He has said any annual salary above $5 million would be steep for a backup player, but Smith hypothetically could sign Gortat and then trade him later.

That would carry some risk, however. Gortat's contract would push them deeper into the luxury tax. And because of rules in the collective bargaining agreement, the Magic would not be allowed to trade Gortat until Dec. 15; any significant injury before then to Gortat would reduce his trade value.

Sentinel staff writers Brian Schmitz and Tania Ganguli contributed to this report. Read the Orlando Sentinel's Orlando Magic blog at orlandosentinel.com/magicblog. Josh Robbins can be reached at [email protected].

A look at the top free agents still available, C8

Amarelooms
07-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah this guy Otis is a real ass clown....if you are going to match and keep him just do it already and stop saying you are not one day and next you arer. Mavs need to move on...Cuban should be on the phone trying to find a backup C and shooting guard. Forget about Gortat. Also, I hope we get a chance to f over the Magic soon :elephant

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Is that guy an Orlando-area Shank?

I don't know anything about him, but they think that giving him credit for the Bass signing was a big deal. Shit, any of us could have told you he was going to sign there, especially after the Marion deal went down.

I guess we'll wait and see what the morning brings.

I still don't think it makes a lot of sense for the Magic to match, but crazier things have happened. It is funny, though, to see the Magic fans think they're going to rape the Rockets for Battier. There are so many little details involved in the match, they might want to keep their panties on.

Gortat-O-Meter is still at 90%.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:33 PM
One can only hope Mark and Donnie have done their homework and are busy working on Plan B. And as a professional courtesy after we got them the TE and didn't match the offer to Bass, ya think Smith could go ahead and match to put us out of our misery? So we can move on to Plan B?

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't know anything about him, but they think that giving him credit for the Bass signing was a big deal. Shit, any of us could have told you he was going to sign there, especially after the Marion deal went down.

I guess we'll wait and see what the morning brings.

I still don't think it makes a lot of sense for the Magic to match, but crazier things have happened. It is funny, though, to see the Magic fans think they're going to rape the Rockets for Battier. There are so many little details involved in the match, they might want to keep their panties on.

Gortat-O-Meter is still at 90%.

The Marion deal could've been done without Orlando's participation. They got a TE out of it. Cuban could've exceeded the Orlando offer and promised Bass 25 minutes a game and didn't. If after that generosity Smith decided to hang on to Gortat, wouldn't professional courtesy dictate he go ahead and match so the Mavs can move on with alternate arrangements with the MLE? It makes absolutely no sense for Orlando to match, but I can't say I'd be surprised. I guess Smith is a good poker player, bc I can honestly say I don't know what he'll do.

Amarelooms
07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
The Marion deal could've been done without Orlando's participation. They got a TE out of it. Cuban could've exceeded the Orlando offer and promised Bass 25 minutes a game and didn't. If after that generosity Smith decided to hang on to Gortat, wouldn't professional courtesy dictate he go ahead and match so the Mavs can move on with alternate arrangements with the MLE? It makes absolutely no sense for Orlando to match, but I can't say I'd be surprised. I guess Smith is a good poker player, bc I can honestly say I don't know what he'll do.

If he does...Cuban's one aim in life should be to F the Magic over....at all costs. Whether that means losing millions and signing one of their players in the future or going in with other teams to make trades etc. This POS Otis needs to be on the shit list

:elephant

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM

If that happens, then karma will finally be on Cuban's side and Dwight Howard's kneecaps will shoot 20 rows up at tipoff on opening night.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
If that happens, then karma will finally be on Cuban's side and Dwight Howard's kneecaps will shoot 20 rows up at tipoff on opening night.

Yeah, to hear people tell it, the Magic would be dumb to let Gortat go w/o compensation. Well, thanks to the Dallas Mavericks they got a TE and Bass. That's quite a haul for a backup center that plays 12 minutes a night. If anything ever happened to Howard, their season is done anyways. Gortat is a luxury they cannot afford.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:47 PM
If I get something in my RSS feed tomorrow that says the Magic signed Theo Ratliff to a vet minimum contract, I'm gonna jerk off.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, to hear people tell it, the Magic would be dumb to let Gortat go w/o compensation. Well, thanks to the Dallas Mavericks they got a TE and Bass. That's quite a haul for a backup center that plays 12 minutes a night. If anything ever happened to Howard, their season is done anyways. Gortat is a luxury they cannot afford.

There seems to be some confusion over BYC, Dec 15th v. 1 year, Gortat having veto power in that year, etc. There are a lot of moving parts.

What's absurb is them thinking they'd get a guy like Battier for Gortat, who didn't want to go to Houston because of the shoes he'd have to fill. Besides, why would the Rockets give up Battier? Dude's a badass.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
From RealGM board:

I saw it on WKMG too. That douche bag Ping said we're matching the offer for Gortat and most likely signing Matt Barnes and maybe Theo Ratliff too. He also pointed out the we might trade Gortat after the 90 day period from when the season starts. I totally want to smash Pin's face in, he's such a date rapist.
----

That doesn't make sense. First of all, where are they getting all this money? Secondly, why sign Ratliff if you have Howard, Gortat and Bass now?

Amarelooms
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Mavs just need to resign Hollins for sure. Go after Barnes too for nothing else but because the Magic are supposedly after him. Tell him you will offer more than the Magic once they make him an offer. :elephant

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
There seems to be some confusion over BYC, Dec 15th v. 1 year, Gortat having veto power in that year, etc. There are a lot of moving parts.

What's absurb is them thinking they'd get a guy like Battier for Gortat, who didn't want to go to Houston because of the shoes he'd have to fill. Besides, why would the Rockets give up Battier? Dude's a badass.

If Houston didn't want to pony up the full MLE for 5 years for Gortat in July, why would they give up Battier to get him in December? That shit makes no sense. I can see how Houston wanted a shorter commitment in years to Gortat. Yao will probably be back no later than opening night of the 10/11 seasons. If they wanted Gortat at that price, they could've matched Dallas' offer. Why would they then trade him and give up a piece like Battier? Have you read that NYT article about Battier? Morey considers him part of the team's core.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
If the Magic are in the market of a serviceable, young center that can fly all over the place and get you 10-12 decent minutes a night, then I have just the guy and he'll come pretty cheap -

Ryan Hollins.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:52 PM
From RealGM board:

I saw it on WKMG too. That douche bag Ping said we're matching the offer for Gortat and most likely signing Matt Barnes and maybe Theo Ratliff too. He also pointed out the we might trade Gortat after the 90 day period from when the season starts. I totally want to smash Pin's face in, he's such a date rapist.
----

That doesn't make sense. First of all, where are they getting all this money? Secondly, why sign Ratliff if you have Howard, Gortat and Bass now?

I'm not paying attention to any "insiders" on any messageboard. You can talk yourself into anything doing that. Bottom line is you can't trust what you read on messageboards from "insiders" one way or the other. You'd have to take "Magic won't match Gortat" with a grain of salt as well from RealGM "insiders."

Amarelooms
07-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Too bad we lost Bass...Cuban should have told him to wait till after the Magic decided on Gortat. If they matched Gortat then Bass could have had the full MLE. THis guy Otis really F'd us over and did some butch league shit....Cuban needs to get even and kick his ass in the future :elephant

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, the guys I hear from (the same ones from which I've been getting things for years now), are still quite confident in the Mavs getting Gortat. They just don't think it makes much sense for the Magic, business-wise, and it would shock them to see them match.

Shank
07-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Magic fans seem to be elated and can't wait for Otis' next move.

Next move? Signing 6 dudes off the street for the bare minimum.

Findog
07-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, the guys I hear from (the same ones from which I've been getting things for years now), are still quite confident in the Mavs getting Gortat. They just don't think it makes much sense for the Magic, business-wise, and it would shock them to see them match.

It's clear to me that the Mavs threw Orlando some bones and I would think Otis as a courtesy should go ahead and match already instead of tying our MLE up while the market supply shrinks. If we hadn't gotten them the TE and steered Bass their way, I could see Smith taking his sweet time. It doesn't hurt him at all to go ahead and match if that's what he wants to do. But if he's planning to repay the generosity by letting Gortat walk, it does him no good to announce prematurely that he's not matching. Then the agents for Hollins and Ratliff can ask for more money.

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Matching is not a dick move. After all, he's their property and it's their right to match. Waiting until the last day to match and tying up our MLE for the duration, while the supply of bigs dries up after we threw you Bass and a TE...THAT is a dick move.

Shank
07-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm now posting from the toilet. Nice little dump before bed. I'll sleep well.

Soul
07-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Magic fans seem to be elated and can't wait for Otis' next move.

Next move? Signing 6 dudes off the street for the bare minimum.

I can care less if we get Gortat back, I guess we need our 13-15 players to be all stars though

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Matching is not a dick move. After all, he's their property and it's their right to match. Waiting until the last day to match and tying up our MLE for the duration, while the supply of bigs dries up after we threw you Bass and a TE...THAT is a dick move.
Agreed. But again it's business. If Orlando feels like Dallas is a threat to them winning a championship, this would be a great way to stop them. The rule of a week to responding should be changed to like 3 days as to prevent this power the other team has over our free agent period.

clambake
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Agreed. But again it's business. If Orlando feels like Dallas is a threat to them winning a championship, this would be a great way to stop them.

so....this is a crack pipe thread.

cool.....now i can tell all my friends that i've seen the edge.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
so....this is a crack pipe thread.

cool.....now i can tell all my friends that i've seen the edge.
Why the insults? That seems to be the common theme of mavs fans on this site. Don't agree with someone, start insulting them.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Btw it looks like I'm right. I just heard on Orlando tv that they will match the offer. Damn Monosylab1k could've been gone.

MavDynasty
07-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Its not too late,its never to late

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:50 AM
The Orlando News comes on at 1 in the morning?

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Here's a thread on RealGM:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=926949

The OP claims to be an insider, and there's a thread title that says Channel 6 just reported it, but not one other poster corroborates this account of watching the local sports news at 1 in the morning. No link on espn news wire or elsewhere.

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:53 AM
http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/681101463/p/6

The posters are starting to question the validity here. It may be true that the Magic eventually match Gortat, but I don't think the local news comes on at 1 am.

Findog
07-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Only 1 poster corroborates this account of watching the news.

La Peace
07-13-2009, 01:39 AM
False

Ghazi
07-13-2009, 01:44 AM
One Florida team fucks us over for a title, the other steals our center?

Truly I must say there is no God, and I shall pray that their arenas are wiped out by hurricanes and their franchise players are maligned by vicious injuries.

Thompson
07-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Truly I must say there is no God, and I shall pray that their arenas are wiped out by hurricanes and their franchise players are maligned by vicious injuries.

So you insult Him by denying His existence, and then you pray to Him? :lol

gtownspur
07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
lololololololololol!

suck it dickless mavs!

gtownspur
07-13-2009, 02:01 AM
actually, seriously. THis sucks for the mavs.

i hope for better luck for you all next time.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 02:02 AM

:lmao

timvp
07-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Damn, Orlando would be doing the Mavs a dirty if they match.

bostonguy
07-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Orlando is bluffing. It doesnt make sense for them to match this offer in Gortat when they are in lux tax area and just signed Bass to a multi-year deal. Orlando is going to pay Gortat nearly 6 million just to play 15-20 minutes a night? I think they are fucking with the Mavs because they can until Wednesday.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2009, 03:01 AM

First of all, they are totally separate transactions. Expecting them to be your buddy because you gave them a trade exception is retarded. That would be like a Magic fan whining that the Mavs didn't sign Gortat to a smaller offer sheet after they helped Dallas acquire Matrix.

Speaking of retarded, the dumbest fucking thing a team could do is match quickly. You wait til one tic before midnight to match a RFA, the other GMs remember that shit and think twice before going after your RFAs, and most won't even have the balls to try it. Everyone knew the Magic were going to do this, which is why going after Gortat was a risk. The Mavs threw way too much money at him because ending up with nothing at the end of the signing period would be worse than having another overpaid center.

Muser
07-13-2009, 04:41 AM
That'd suck major ass for Dallas, Orlando playing dirty.

Ghazi
07-13-2009, 05:07 AM
D Lord with some knowledge at d-b.com which, for the time being, soothes the Ghaz's soul:

Kids ...kids ...kids ...what have fish and I taught you all these years? "Don't believe everything someone says on an internet board, without something to back it up." Many of you have made us proud in your reactions here to this silliness over Gortat, but here's a longer analysis for those of you behind the curve.

Let's break down this "ch 6 in Orlando said it" story. Point by point, here's what we're seeing.

1. Friday on a Magic chat forum, a brand new poster opens an account and says the Magic are signing Bass. Claims he has inside info. It precedes the signing getting out from the media, so when they get confirmation within an hour or less, he's acclaimed as a genuine insider. Discussion and praise ensues.
2. Saturday he comes back again, cites his earlier prediction as his bona fides of being a genuine insider, and says he knows for a fact Gortat will be matched and that it will be announced Monday. Sources? None. Can't say. Discussion and praise ensues.
3. Sunday he comes back again and trumpets that he just heard on the ch 6 news in Orlando that the Magic will match on Monday, thereby validating his prediction. Oddly, no one else in Orlando heard the story, but no biggie for most. Discussion and praise ensues.
4. Someone goes from there to the realGM boards and shares the news on the GENERAL NBA board. The same thing happens on the realGM Orlando board. The report is (and this is an important distinction): "someone on a Magic chat forum saw a ch 6 news item saying Gortat would be matched on Monday." Discussion and praise ensues.
5. People now see 3 or more separate forum discussions going and jump to a conclusion: a bunch of people in Orlando saw this item on the news and are talking about it. It must certainly be a fact, they think. But the reality is this: one guy (not coincidentally, the one who had a vested interest) SAID he saw it. A bunch of people reacted and passed the tale along. Or maybe he is the one passing the tale along from one forum to another.
6. Has anything been announced by the Magic? No.
7. Is it on ESPN crawl? No.
8. Is it on ESPN news? No.
9. Is it on ESPN.com? No. I'd ask Marc Stein, but he'd kill me for asking something so dumb, I think. :-)
10. Is it on the Orlando Sentinel website? No.
11. Is it on the ch 6 Orlando site? No. You can even pull up their list of sports stories of the day, and there's nothing pertaining to Gortat.

It's also interesting that at one point in the conversation, the tale got expanded to say the breaking TV news report also said Barnes and Ratliff were going to be signed. Really!?!?

SmokeMaxx on the linked page below (post #81) also details his forum-by-forum digging, and he essentially came back with the same observations I did. A gold star to him for that hard work, too!!!! (Fish, buy that guy a front page mention.)
http://dallasbasketballdo...u.com/topic/29348?page=9

Now let me add one other crucial point - we can't PROVE nothing might happen, because even if the internet stuff is BS (and I see nothing to make me think it's valid), there are still two options and one of them is that Gortat gets matched. Nothing matters until Orlando puts their signature on a match, or until they decline to match. The deadline is Wednesday. Anything can happen.

To review a few facts on the idea in general:
1. If Gortat gets matched, they can't turn around and trade him to another suitor anytime soon. They must keep him until at least Dec 15, well after the season starts and after all the teams have set their rosters. Then they can only trade him to a team he approves, and it can't be Dallas. (Those limits last for a year.)
2. In a trade, base year issues won't be in play, because Orlando has a trade exception. It would work just like a regular trade.
3. The rationale floated by Magic fans is: "Orlando would be averse to paying that much salary to Gortat, but if they trade him that's not an issue." Not exactly true. The problem is, they'd still end up getting back at least $5M-ish and maybe more like $6M in trade-matching salary in such a trade, all of it taxable.
4. The other team will have to be a team that (a) wants MG, (b) is willing to pay him $34M over 5 years, and (c) will ALSO give up $5M in players that Orlando wants. Is there such a team with players that Orlando would gladly take, in that price range, that would also want MG? I can envision Houston having a degree of interest depending on Yao's long-term prognosis; but which $5-6M of players makes sense for both teams to move from HOU to ORL in such a deal?
5. The Mavs have been quite confident - per Sefko, who is a very solid reporter - they'll get Gortat. Orlando certainly has every right to match, and they also have the option to wait until the last minute either way, but do we think these GMs don't talk? Do we think Donnie/Cuban would have the rug pulled out from under them unexpectedly? If Smith is going to match, or if it's at least possible, I suspect that info would have been conveyed privately.

FROM A PURELY LOGICAL STANDPOINT: Except in sign-and-trade situations, teams don't tend to sign a player they don't intend to keep. Too much can go wrong between the signing and the trade to make that backfire badly. And I don't see any way that the Magic can justify almost $6M per year to a player who will be buried behind Howard. In addition, what's the market for Gortat at $34M? I see one possible team (Houston) that might be interested if the price wasn't too high, and that one is nothing better than a longshot. For tthose reasons, I think they'll pass.

I also find illuminating some comments Smith made Friday. After signing Bass, he was asked if that precluded Gortat. As the Orlando paper put it ...
Smith said the two deals don't necessarily have to do with each other. He also said he's figured out what he's going to do, but said he was "still working on a few other things ...Until those things transpire, it's a little bit premature for us to get into what we're going to do and what we're not going to do."
Have the other things transpired? No way. Orlando has done nothing new since Bass. Based on that, I take that as further confirmation that this is just one of those faux-insiders playing with people's reactions on the internet. And I still am inclined to think that in a few days, Gortat will be a Mav.

To me, Smith is playing the angles on other free agents, trying to get them all lined up before he declines to match Gortat. That's why he is delaying and why he won't talk about his plans. You get a better deal when you negotiate from strength, and he knows it.

Either way, give it a few days and we'll see what happens. Until then, it's just unknowable without hearing something from the Magic themsleves.

http://dallasbasketballdotcom.yuku.com/topic/29354/t/Separating-fact--fiction--Orlando-keeping-Gortat--FYI-update.html

timvp
07-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Kids ...kids ...kids ...what have fish and I taught you all these years?

Sounds like someone thinks he's king of the internets.

Shank
07-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Sounds like someone thinks he's king of the internets.

David Lord aside, this page:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/8891029871

Seems to be the hub of all things read/seen on teh Inertnets.

Shank
07-13-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm loving all the Magic douches on that board plotting to spread out and hit up Mavs boards with their great "news". I hope they get their shit stuffed back in their faces if it isn't true.

Spursfan092120
07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
That would be a major dick move, but dont worry, we'll get them back for you guys if they reach the finals.
What are you going to do? Ask the Spurs to beat them worse than they already would have? :)

Basketballgirl25
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM

no Florida team fucked Dallas Mavs over for a title, Mavs just couldn't win, don't you know anything about basketball. Are Mav fans really that depressed with the players on the team including Dirk for not winning in 2006 they have to blame the other team:toast

Ghazi
07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
no Florida team fucked Dallas Mavs over for a title, Mavs just couldn't win, don't you know anything about basketball. Are Mav fans really that depressed with the players on the team including Dirk for not winning in 2006 they have to blame the other team:toast

nah we were robbed

Stump
07-13-2009, 07:40 AM
I haven't really followed all the Gortat drama, but when is the deadline for the Magic to match the Mavs' offer?

ElNono
07-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't know how this is going to unfold, but to even think that Orlando 'owes' the Mavs anything is retarded. Bass was a UFA, and while they got a trade exception with the Matrix, they actually made possible for Dallas to get him.

Amarelooms
07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't know how this is going to unfold, but to even think that Orlando 'owes' the Mavs anything is retarded. Bass was a UFA, and while they got a trade exception with the Matrix, they actually made possible for Dallas to get him.

Ummm bullcrap...I'm sure Toronto would have done that deal without including Orlando. Also, Cuban wouldn't have allowed Bass to sign with them unless there was some under the table statement that Gortat was not going to be matched.

If this comes to fruition priority #1 needs to be to get even....maybe not this year but I'm sure eventually Cuban will get the last laugh.

:elephant

ElNono
07-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Ummm bullcrap...I'm sure Toronto would have done that deal without including Orlando. Also, Cuban wouldn't have allowed Bass to sign with them unless there was some under the table statement that Gortat was not going to be matched.

It was more convenient for Toronto to do it with a S&T so they could still use the MLE. In exchange, Orlando received a trade exception. Mavs also got what they wanted in Marion. I think all sides came out even.

And Bass was a Unrestricted Free Agent. Cuban had no authority to allow or disallow anything.

Shank
07-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Let's see...9am on the East Coast and not a single peep about this bullshit story.

ESPN does work around the clock and have been doing live casts since 6am ET.

Shank
07-13-2009, 08:16 AM
It was more convenient for Toronto to do it with a S&T so they could still use the MLE. In exchange, Orlando received a trade exception. Mavs also got what they wanted in Marion. I think all sides came out even.

And Bass was a Unrestricted Free Agent. Cuban had no authority to allow or disallow anything.

Allow or disallow aside, he had more than enough power and money to re-up Bass if he wanted to. Mavs were offering 3.5 million and he wound up getting 4. I don't think that 500k was a point of contention for Cuban. He could have done it if he wanted to.

stretch
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
mavsfan1000 needs to be shot in the fucking face

Rogue
07-13-2009, 08:21 AM
It's really not a big deal whether Mavs can or cannot get Gortat. That guy only played several decent minutes last season and his stats are not even close to MLE level, but Donnie was so stupid as to burn our MLE on that guy expecting him to replace Damp as our starting center. Gortat may become a decent player when his experience grows bigger in a couple seasons, but the current Gortat is definitely not enough to play at a level above Damp's. I'm afraid Gortat will turn out a scrub and get traded in mid season as Diop's case, hopefully not though.

Shank
07-13-2009, 08:24 AM
mavsfan1000 needs to be shot in the fucking face

ElNono
07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Allow or disallow aside, he had more than enough power and money to re-up Bass if he wanted to. Mavs were offering 3.5 million and he wound up getting 4. I don't think that 500k was a point of contention for Cuban. He could have done it if he wanted to.

Sure, but he didn't. He gambled that he would get Gortat, and his bet might still pay off. But it's a risky bet. He obviously believes Gortat is a much bigger improvement over Bass, or he would have resigned Bass and called it a day.
Now Bass is gone though, and there's nothing Mark can do about it.

I would also add, it's not always about money. Maybe Bass wanted to look for greener pastures, too. When you're unrestricted you can pretty much do whatever you want.

sribb43
07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
to me that report is bogus but I dont see Orlando matching for a few reasons.

IMO Bass wouldnt have signed with Magic if he knew that they were going to resign Gorat bc his minutes would be severely limited Im sure he was going to get backup minutes at PF and C. As it already stands there isnt many minutes behind Lewis and Howard. I'd expect about 25 max min a night for Bass but with Gortat in the mix that number could drop to 15 min. I'm sure Bass had a talk with ORL about them resigning Gortat and if they were, i dont think he would have gone to ORL bc one of his biggest grips in dallas was minutes

ElNono
07-13-2009, 08:29 AM

IMO Bass wouldnt have signed with Magic if he knew that they were going to resign Gorat bc his minutes would be severely limited Im sure he was going to get backup minutes at PF and C. As it already stands there isnt many minutes behind Lewis and Howard. I'd expect about 25 max min a night for Bass but with Gortat in the mix that number could drop to 15 min. I'm sure Bass had a talk with ORL about them resigning Gortat and if they were, i dont think he would have gone to ORL bc one of his biggest grips in dallas was minutes

What I think you need to understand is that if they do indeed match Gortat is most likely NOT to keep him, but to deal him in a trade that gives Orlando something in exchange for his contract.

Amarelooms
07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
What I think you need to understand is that if they do indeed match Gortat is most likely NOT to keep him, but to deal him in a trade that gives Orlando something in exchange for his contract.

1st they can't trade till Dec. 2nd who is going to take him at that time? They can't trade with the Mavs....Rockets didnt want to pay that much for him, only offered 3.5mil, plus they aint gonna give Orlando Battier or any other good player. AND even if you trade you still take salary back. Only reason you match is if you want to keep him...cause there's a good chance he aint going no where.

Plus I didn't even mention injuries or if he plays poorly :elephant

ElNono
07-13-2009, 08:38 AM
1st they can't trade till Dec. 2nd who is going to take him at that time? They can't trade with the Mavs....Rockets didnt want to pay that much for him, only offered 3.5mil, plus they aint gonna give Orlando Battier or any other good player. AND even if you trade you still take salary back. Only reason you match is if you want to keep him...cause there's a good chance he aint going no where.

Plus I didn't even mention injuries or if he plays poorly :elephant

Big man are a coveted commodity. Look at the contract Varejao got for reference. Like I said, the only reason I see them matching is if they already have a trade in place with some other team.
As far as getting contracts in return, it's not really a problem. They can simply rent a couple players until midseason and dump them then. The luxury tax is not calculated until the end of the season.

rjv
07-13-2009, 08:46 AM
so eight pages later and still no official report or link validating any of this. nice.

Ghazi
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
It's really not a big deal whether Mavs can or cannot get Gortat. That guy only played several decent minutes last season and his stats are not even close to MLE level, but Donnie was so stupid as to burn our MLE on that guy expecting him to replace Damp as our starting center. Gortat may become a decent player when his experience grows bigger in a couple seasons, but the current Gortat is definitely not enough to play at a level above Damp's. I'm afraid Gortat will turn out a scrub and get traded in mid season as Diop's case, hopefully not though.

Gortat's good, I don't know what's so hard to get about that. It shouldn't be held against him that he was backing up the best center in the world.

I've seen many diop comparions thrown around and its fucking weak! Diop's never had a better PER/rebound rate than Gortat had last year and at the very least, Gortat isn't scared of the fucking rim.

In a world where Rashard mutha fuckin Lewis is getting the max, Hedo Turkoglu is getting 5 years/50+, Bynum contract... McDyess/Wallace getting MLE etc etc, Gortat is a MLE caliber player

45 bank shot
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
so eight pages later and still no official report or link validating any of this. nice.

:lol ye, what's the point of arguing?

Shank
07-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Possibly, but there are so many things that can go wrong in that scenario. You have BYC, the 90-day waiting period, finding a suitor, worrying about keeping Gortat healthy, not pissing him off by taking away his opportunity to be a starter on another team, your own tax implications, filling out your own roster, etc. It's too much of a gamble on Orlando's end.

Shank
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Big man are a coveted commodity. Look at the contract Varejao got for reference. Like I said, the only reason I see them matching is if they already have a trade in place with some other team.
As far as getting contracts in return, it's not really a problem. They can simply rent a couple players until midseason and dump them then. The luxury tax is not calculated until the end of the season.

They'd have to take back salary-for-salary for him, so the tax would still hit Orlando in either case.

sribb43
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
If no Gortat..bring back Hollins :lol

Findog
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
First of all, they are totally separate transactions. Expecting them to be your buddy because you gave them a trade exception is retarded. That would be like a Magic fan whining that the Mavs didn't sign Gortat to a smaller offer sheet after they helped Dallas acquire Matrix.

Speaking of retarded, the dumbest fucking thing a team could do is match quickly. You wait til one tic before midnight to match a RFA, the other GMs remember that shit and think twice before going after your RFAs, and most won't even have the balls to try it. Everyone knew the Magic were going to do this, which is why going after Gortat was a risk. The Mavs threw way too much money at him because ending up with nothing at the end of the signing period would be worse than having another overpaid center.

I don't think it's retarded at all. If Orlando matches, then Donnie and Mark have to seriously reassess how they do business. And Orlando didn't help us land Marion at all, since the deal would've worked w/o their participation.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 09:32 AM

He is probably starting as Orlando isn't deep enough to play most of the game with Lewis at PF. So Gortat and Howard will probably be in at the same time during some parts of the games. Also Orlando could get a better fit by trading with Houston to get Battier or some other player that suits their team better than Gortat. Orlando will wait it out and pick Gortat at the last second like they should.

jacobdrj
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Let the Mavs get Drew Gooden. He is solid.

sribb43
07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Let the Mavs get Drew Gooden. He is solid.

:depressed

Shank
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
He is probably starting as Orlando isn't deep enough to play most of the game with Lewis at PF. So Gortat and Howard will probably be in at the same time during some parts of the games. Also Orlando could get a better fit by trading with Houston to get Battier or some other player that suits their team better than Gortat. Orlando will wait it out and pick Gortat at the last second like they should.

Why would the Rockets give up Battier?

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Why would the Rockets give up Battier?
To get Gortat since Yao went down. Also that would get them younger and on track for rebuilding.

Shank
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
To get Gortat since Yao went down. Also that would get them younger and on track for rebuilding.

If you're giving up Battier, why only aim for Gortat? Why not someone better? I'm sure the Bobcats would love to have Battier/others if Okafor could be moved.

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
If you're giving up Battier, why only aim for Gortat? Why not someone better? I'm sure the Bobcats would love to have Battier/others if Okafor could be moved.
The point is at least Orlando gets something back they can use. Maybe there are better options out there but they need another SG/SF to cause the mismatches like they did last year. Turkoglu, Alston, and Lee all left. That hurts.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
They'd have to take back salary-for-salary for him, so the tax would still hit Orlando in either case.

What part of 'The luxury tax is calculated at the end of the season' you don't understand?
I'll give you a plausible scenario: Right now, they would get nothing for Gortat. They could trade him for a first round pick, cash, and a bunch of non-guaranteed scrub contracts to make salaries match. They simply drop those players when their contracts are up, and they end up with a first round pick + cash and no luxury tax implications.

See what I mean now?

ElNono
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't think it's retarded at all. If Orlando matches, then Donnie and Mark have to seriously reassess how they do business. And Orlando didn't help us land Marion at all, since the deal would've worked w/o their participation.

That's great, but Orlando did a favor to Toronto (and it's arguable wether it was a favor), not the Mavericks.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Possibly, but there are so many things that can go wrong in that scenario. You have BYC, the 90-day waiting period, finding a suitor, worrying about keeping Gortat healthy, not pissing him off by taking away his opportunity to be a starter on another team, your own tax implications, filling out your own roster, etc. It's too much of a gamble on Orlando's end.

He has no say on team deals. If they got a trade in the works, what he thinks is irrelevant.

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
What part of 'The luxury tax is calculated at the end of the season' you don't understand?
I'll give you a plausible scenario: Right now, they would get nothing for Gortat. They could trade him for a first round pick, cash, and a bunch of non-guaranteed scrub contracts to make salaries match. They simply drop those players when their contracts are up, and they end up with a first round pick + cash and no luxury tax implications.

See what I mean now?

And what part of matching salary-for-salary don't you understand? That team would still have to give up $5+ in salaries. Not in cash, not in draft picks - in equal salaries. You know how many scrubs it's going to take to reach 5 million?

And why would they trade him away for absolutely nothing in return? They're better off in just not signing him in the first place. In your scenario, they get nothing. In not signing him, they don't waste their time with filling out a roster with a guy they know isn't going to be there AND they can devote their efforts into bringing in players they're not going to have to haggle with while the season is unfolding.

Besides, Gortat will have to approve of the team to which he's being traded. He's already said he doesn't want to go to Houston to take over for Yao. His heart is set on Dallas. If the Magic try to flip him to OKC, he can simply refuse until these rights are up a year after the signing and the Magic are left with an unhappy player and are still on the hook for his salary.

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
He has no say on team deals. If they got a trade in the works, what he thinks is irrelevant.

For 1 year, he does. The only team to which he certainly couldn't be traded is Dallas. All the others, he has a right to refuse.

Leetonidas
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Orlando is matching Gortat. :lmao

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/681101463

mavsfan1000
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
And what part of matching salary-for-salary don't you understand? That team would still have to give up $5+ in salaries. Not in cash, not in draft picks - in equal salaries. You know how many scrubs it's going to take to reach 5 million?

And why would they trade him away for absolutely nothing in return? They're better off in just not signing him in the first place. In your scenario, they get nothing. In not signing him, they don't waste their time with filling out a roster with a guy they know isn't going to be there AND they can devote their efforts into bringing in players they're not going to have to haggle with while the season is unfolding.

Besides, Gortat will have to approve of the team to which he's being traded. He's already said he doesn't want to go to Houston to take over for Yao. His heart is set on Dallas. If the Magic try to flip him to OKC, he can simply refuse until these rights are up a year after the signing and the Magic are left with an unhappy player and are still on the hook for his salary.
Maybe they are more interested in winning a championship than saving money. Thus using Gortat for trading material is a wise decision imo. A lot of teams need centers. Who knows what they can get for a young upcoming center.

Leetonidas
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Though I know that's not official, I will go with what the local media in Orlando is saying over what desperate Mav fans trying to rationalize everything.

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM

This was discussed 3 pages back, around midnight last night. Thanks for keeping up.

If they're matching him, they why hasn't a single word come out on it?

Do you believe everything people post on Internet messageboards?

Findog
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM

10 hours ago forum

Shank
Though I know that's not official, I will go with what the local media in Orlando is saying over what desperate Mav fans trying to rationalize everything.

Please, enlighten us. What is the local media saying in Orlando?

SpursFan0728

LOL CUBAN :lol

sribb43
07-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Please, enlighten us. What is the local media saying in Orlando?

channel 6 sports...the worldwide leader:lol

leemajors
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
When is the deadline to match the offer sheet?

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Here's the page for the "local" Orlando station that supposedly broke the news at 1am (1am? AHAHAHA. Sure.)

http://www.clickorlando.com/index.html

Care to point out where the "local media" are saying these things?

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:14 AM
LOL CUBAN :lol

lol people that use internet messageboards as their main source of information

lol hoping the mavs fail

lol blair

nkdlunch
"Mark Cuban will shower $34 million on Marcin Gortat and his 4 points per game scoring average the next 5 years for the Mavs. "

is this true???

Leetonidas
lol mavericks

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
When is the deadline to match the offer sheet?

Wednesday, though I don't know if it's the 12:01am deadline or when the offices close late in the day.

ElNono

That's not accurate. Go take a look how we dumped Jackie Butler's contract.
Also, for trading with non-guaranteed contracts, go take a look how we acquired RJ.

Reading is fundamental. They get a 1st round pick and cash.

He has actually already said that while he was looking forward to going to Dallas, he wouldn't have a problem going back to Orlando. I can find the quote if you want.

Shank
"Mark Cuban will shower $34 million on Marcin Gortat and his 4 points per game scoring average the next 5 years for the Mavs. "

is this true???

lol bonner

leemajors
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Wednesday, though I don't know if it's the 12:01am deadline or when the offices close late in the day.

I love how they drag these out. This thread should be at 300 pages by then.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
For 1 year, he does. The only team to which he certainly couldn't be traded is Dallas. All the others, he has a right to refuse.

To qualify for Bird rights you need to have played at least 3 years for the same team. This is Gortat's second year with the Magic.

"To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent."

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
That's not accurate. Go take a look how we dumped Jackie Butler's contract.
Also, for trading with non-guaranteed contracts, go take a look how we acquired RJ.

Reading is fundamental. They get a 1st round pick and cash.

He has actually already said that while he was looking forward to going to Dallas, he wouldn't have a problem going back to Orlando. I can find the quote if you want.

He also said he wants to play more - something that certainly won't happen any time soon in Orlando.

1st round pick and cash? Who is going to give them a 1st round pick? The other teams interested and willing to take on that money are the Mavs, the Rockets and the Thunder. No way the Rockets or the Thunder give up a 1 in the positions they're in. And who wants to give up cash if your team is under the cap already and looking at a lower cap number the following season? They'll keep that money. $5+million AND cash for Gortat? You'd be looking at something near 7 million and a 1st round pick AND a small number of players just to get a guy that shouldn't have been re-signed in the first place.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it makes a lot of business sense for either party to get involved in such a thing.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
He also said he wants to play more - something that certainly won't happen any time soon in Orlando.

1st round pick and cash? Who is going to give them a 1st round pick? The other teams interested and willing to take on that money are the Mavs, the Rockets and the Thunder. No way the Rockets or the Thunder give up a 1 in the positions they're in. And who wants to give up cash if your team is under the cap already and looking at a lower cap number the following season? They'll keep that money. $5+million AND cash for Gortat? You'd be looking at something near 7 million and a 1st round pick AND a small number of players just to get a guy that shouldn't have been re-signed in the first place.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it makes a lot of business sense for either party to get involved in such a thing.

I understand your point too. But after looking what a guy like Varejao received, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

sribb43
07-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I love how they drag these out. This thread should be at 300 pages by then.

It used to be 14 days to match until a few years ago...thank God they change it. I cant take anymore of this Gorat hype/speculation. You'd think the Mavs are signing Lebron

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:21 AM
To qualify for Bird rights you need to have played at least 3 years for the same team. This is Gortat's second year with the Magic.

"To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent."

I'm taking this from David Lord, DB.com, and the mass confusion that is the NBA CBA and BYC players.

Shank
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I understand your point too. But after looking what a guy like Varejao received, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

That deal was just dumb in the first place. I think every GM in the league said "what the fuck?" when that went down.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm taking this from David Lord, DB.com, and the mass confusion that is the NBA CBA and BYC players.

I know, it's crazy. The question here is if they resign him, he would be entering his third year, even though he hasn't played his third year.
So I'm really not 100% how the bird rights apply if at all in that case.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
That deal was just dumb in the first place. I think every GM in the league said "what the fuck?" when that went down.

Well, but look at Dice and Rasheed. They're definitely in the twilight of their careers and both received an optional 3rd year in their contracts. Luckily for us, Dice is a team option.
It's just crazy what the demand is for talented or potentially talented big man.

Shank
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Heads-up for the 3pm CT presser introducing Bass in Orlando. We'll see if something is said or we can read between the lines if Otis (seriously, the guy's name is Otis) speaks at the event.

Leetonidas
07-13-2009, 01:23 PM
All jokes aside, when did Gortat sign the offer sheet and til when does Orlando have to match?

Findog
07-13-2009, 01:23 PM
All jokes aside, when did Gortat sign the offer sheet and til when does Orlando have to match?

He signed July 8th and the Magic have until the 15th to match.

mardigan
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
lol bonner

I don't get it.

ElNono
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Heads-up for the 3pm CT presser introducing Bass in Orlando. We'll see if something is said or we can read between the lines if Otis (seriously, the guy's name is Otis) speaks at the event.

If that's not a d-bag name, I don't know what is.

Basketballgirl25
07-13-2009, 02:13 PM

yeah the guys name in really Otis, just like Dirk is really named Dirk:lol

Shank
07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Gimme $5 unleaded and a Chunky Bar, Otis.

Basketballgirl25
07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
nah we were robbed

nah your weren't Dallas fans just hate that Dirk couldn't win so they have to blame other teams. Gets back at the fans good that Dallas isn't winning anytime soon, maybe once you guys admit Dallas lost the NBA will help you win:toast