PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY possible way? (Big Dog)

grjr
04-17-2005, 02:58 AM
As I was watching Big Dog make an effort on defense tonight I got to wondering is there any way we can get him on the roster next year? He's only 32 right? I think he has a big year next year.

What do y'all think he's going to get for a salary next year? MCE? More? If he'll take the MCE would the Spurs sign him and trade Scola's rights? What do y'all think?

leemajors
04-17-2005, 03:03 AM
why trade scola's rights? Big Dog would have to do a hell of a job if he makes the playoff roster to warrant something like that...

grjr
04-17-2005, 03:07 AM
why trade scola's rights? Big Dog would have to do a hell of a job if he makes the playoff roster to warrant something like that...

If Big Dog plays like he can wouldn't you take him over Scola? If we use up the MCE then we couldn't sign Scola. I assume Scola has his heart set on playing in the NBA next year and wouldn't want to wait around another year.
Who knows what happens with the new CBA though.

leemajors
04-17-2005, 03:10 AM
if he plays "like he can" i think there would be little chance of him accepting the MCE as he could get plenty more elsewhere.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-17-2005, 08:43 AM
For Glenn Robinson to command a quality vet salary again, he'll need more than a few bench minutes with the Spurs, and he'll have to hit some big shots in the playoffs. If the guy is smart, he'll take veteran's minimum and get some rings. He's gotta be sick of playing for shitty ego ridden teams.

From the Spurs standpoint, they just need to get some buckets out of the guy while letting Bowen rest. If they can do that, and they can't resign Robinson, easy come, easy go. As far as Scola goes, there are too many unanswered questions about GRob's value to even think about that until after the playoffs.

timvp
04-17-2005, 08:46 AM
I doubt the Spurs will get into a bidding war over him. If they can re-sign him for a few million over a couple years, they'll do it. If not, they'll move on to their next reclamation project.

P.S.

I never thought I'd say this but Glenn Robinson's defense was very good last night.

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 08:57 AM

Why would GRob NOT be on the playoff roster?

timvp...I agree....GRob's "D" has been a very pleasant surprise......although sometimes he lapses on the "D", but for the most part his label of playing no "D" seems to be untrue......I think he would be a great backup to Tim in the playoffs.

Kori Ellis
04-17-2005, 09:03 AM
It's obvious that Pop instilled a no D, no minutes policy with him that he believes. Because he's really never played D in his career and he actually was defensively crafty on a few possessions last night. Props to him for listening to the coaching staff and actually trying.

boutons
04-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Glenn is a different kind of defensive "stopper". His foul on a player blowing past him absolutely stops the player dead in his tracks :lol

whottt
04-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Big Dogg has always been good at forcing turnovers. Always. And he's always been a better passer than he gets credit for. He's also not the ballhog people have painted him to be...AI, Ray Allen, Cassell, those guys, the ones calling him a ballhog, are the ballhogs.

But he is working harder on D than he ever has before...and I don't think it's something Pop is having to force him to do...I think Bigg Dogg just wants to turn his life and career around and win a ring in the process. I have to think he was well aware of this teams emphasis on D before the Spurs even contacted him.

As for what he will get offered...this guy prior to his stint with AI was a near franchise player that commanded double teams, had the best midrange in the game, was clutch, and could hit against anyone in any big game. Spurs fans should know this better than anyone because he has freaking owned us. He's a #1 pick...and lived up to that promise just based on his jumpshot.

IMO he will get offered way more than the Spurs have to offer...

But I think he's going to be very careful where he signs...I don't think he's just gonna go and take the first big check he gets and I think the Spurs might have a chance at getting him for the MLE for a year if that's what they want to do.

This guy has gotten paid in his career but it wasn't a source of happiness for him...You can hear the world weariness in his voice...this guy has deeper motivations than just getting paid. This guy was an unhappy man that wants to be happy..

This guy has been humbled by primadonnaish type stars, and by non interest from teams that would have killed to have him just a year ago.

I think that caused a lot of his personal problems...I think winning and having fun playing is very important to him at this stage of his career...He's not going to go into a bad situation just because the money is good. I don't know if that means he is willing to be a bench player and play for the MLE...but I think there is a chance he might for at least a year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
If GRob wins a ring this year, he'll take the biggest contract he gets offered this summer.

If he doesn't, he might look favorably on coming back for another try at it.

I really think that's what it boils down to for the Big Dog right now.

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't think it's that simple AHF...this guy had problems with alcohol...if he's cleaned up his act he's going to be very careful about where he signs with...I don't think he's just going to take the best offer he can get...

George Karl or the Sixers could offer this guy a max deal and IMO he would spit on it.

red kryptonite
04-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Big Dogg has always been good at forcing turnovers. Always. And he's always been a better passer than he gets credit for. He's also not the ballhog people have painted him to be...AI, Ray Allen, Cassell, those guys, the ones calling him a ballhog, are the ballhogs.

But he is working harder on D than he ever has before...and I don't think it's something Pop is having to force him to do...I think Bigg Dogg just wants to turn his life and career around and win a ring in the process. I have to think he was well aware of this teams emphasis on D before the Spurs even contacted him.

As for what he will get offered...this guy prior to his stint with AI was a near franchise player that commanded double teams, had the best midrange in the game, was clutch, and could hit against anyone in any big game. Spurs fans should know this better than anyone because he has freaking owned us. He's a #1 pick...and lived up to that promise just based on his jumpshot.

IMO he will get offered way more than the Spurs have to offer...

But I think he's going to be very careful where he signs...I don't think he's just gonna go and take the first big check he gets and I think the Spurs might have a chance at getting him for the MLE for a year if that's what they want to do.

This guy has gotten paid in his career but it wasn't a source of happiness for him...You can hear the world weariness in his voice...this guy has deeper motivations than just getting paid. This guy was an unhappy man that wants to be happy..

This guy has been humbled by primadonnaish type stars, and by non interest from teams that would have killed to have him just a year ago.

I think that caused a lot of his personal problems...I think winning and having fun playing is very important to him at this stage of his career...He's not going to go into a bad situation just because the money is good. I don't know if that means he is willing to be a bench player and play for the MLE...but I think there is a chance he might for at least a year.

How is he going to turn his life around by playing defense?

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Playing defense and winning a title helps him change his image from that of a selfish, lazy, cancerous ball hog...

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Funny how sympathetic we want get of him when he wears silver and black. Not only will he bolt the first time he's offered anything decent, I think he'll sign with the team that offers him the most money, regardless of who it is. He's a huge bargain right now and everybody knows it, but it probaby ain't gonna last past this year.

whottt
04-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Who is being sympathetic? It's just stating what he appears to be trying to do...

I was always sympathetic to his game...I never thought he was a ballhog or a bad passer...I was a Spurfan prior to last year and to anyone who was amd watced what Robinson did to us it should be obvious that those are bad raps on him. But you don't sign a player like Glenn Robinson for him to pass in the first place. I mean is Duncan a ball hog? I think he's averaging fewer APG for his career than Robinson...and Robinson was the Tim Duncan on his teams.

I don't think his motivations are purely financial because the mofo had a max contract and was talking about blowing his brains out...He's a lot more like Dennis Rodman than he is like Sam Casell or Sprewell. I am not saying that makes him a great guy or anything...but I don't think his motivations are purely financial.

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Funny how sympathetic we want get of him when he wears silver and black. Not only will he bolt the first time he's offered anything decent, I think he'll sign with the team that offers him the most money, regardless of who it is. He's a huge bargain right now and everybody knows it, but it probaby ain't gonna last past this year.

What makes you think that the he won't accept a Spurs MLE offer.....we gave him that 2nd chance and no one else would even talk to him.....he feel loyalty to us....he seems to respect his new teammates so that may influence his decision as well.

If he does go elsewhere I would wish him luck.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I'd like to think that he would be grateful and loyal and all that, but he's showed over the course of his career that he isn't that, regardless of the fact that he played well against the Spurs a few times, no matter how many excuses we make for him. The Spurs will hold him to a higher standard while he's here, but leopards don't change their spots. I hope I'm wrong, because he could indeed find a home here. I'd love to see a re-energized Robinson on this team for the rest of his career. I'm just not optimistic about it, given who he is.

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I'd like to think that he would be grateful and loyal and all that, but he's showed over the course of his career that he isn't that, regardless of the fact that he played well against the Spurs a few times,

When did he show that?

Loyalty is a funny thing...team always want it but they don't give it and neither do fans...so why should players? I think Robinson tried to be loyal to the Bucks...they elected to go with Cassell and Allen instead...how'd that work for them? Those are the guys that just want to get paid...and that's why Milawaukee traded them.

no matter how many excuses we make for him. The Spurs will hold him to a higher standard while he's here, but leopards don't change their spots.

Just show me a time Robinson has ever complained about money...

I hope I'm wrong, because he could indeed find a home here. I'd love to see a re-energized Robinson on this team for the rest of his career. I'm just not optimistic about it, given who he is.

Who is he? On the court...

And how much loyalty should he show to us?

As much as we showed to Malik? To Steve Kerr? To David Robinson?

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:09 PM
^RACK Obstructed_View
Spur fans are to quick to kiss ass when a player shows promise,

They don't care if it is Karl malone or Kobe, as long as they think they can win a * free ring they will trade for del negro if they have to, All it takes is for Rasho or Manu to have a bad game and you guys are ready to talk trades for their ass's,

Now Big Dawg has a good game and your talking about next season?
Nigra please !

Let big dawg miss a game winning shot and you guys will racing your ass off to edit your posts in this topic. :lmao

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 01:10 PM
As much as we showed to Malik? To Steve Kerr? To David Robinson?

OK, I undertstand the comment about Malik.

But how did the Spurs screw over Kerr or David?

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:10 PM
We didn't sign Robinson to help him turn his life around...we signed him for his J...it's a mutually beneficial deal for both of us right now...Robinson doesn't owe us any loyalty for playing for us for 75,000 dollars...

I think if he likes it here, for his own good, he might be willing to stay here...I don't think any loyalty is required for him...right now he's giving us the deal.

If it's good for him he might give us a deal...the point is that I think his decision will be about more than just $$$. He wants to get paid...but I don't think he wants to go back to the Hornets or Hawks...or Philly...he wanted out of those places even when he was getting paid.

To put it bluntly, Robinson is kind of a headcase and with headcases it's never totally about money...sometimes that's a good thing and somtimes it's not.

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:12 PM
OK, I undertstand the comment about Malik.

But how did the Spurs screw over Kerr

They traded him to Portland.

David?

Check out what happened the last time Drob was a free agent. We tried to chose DA over him..we would have chosen Chis Webber over him.

Rasho will be the next example...Rasho took a paycut to come here...if Nazr keeps improving watch what happens to Rasho. You'll be hearing "it's a business" quite a bit.

picnroll
04-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Don't know what Robinson may or may not do but one thing is clear, Pop is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time and will be ranked in the top three when it's all over.

Guys come to the Spurs and do things they've never done before, good things, disciplined things, defensive things and it's largely because of the air Pop has created about the team, the expectations they know they must meet, the desire to please Pop and be professionals. Guys like Jackson, Hedo, Hart, Speedy, now Robinson and Nazr likely have built or resurrected careers and got well paid for it. Agents and players should be lining up at the door to get a chance to spend a year or two playing for Pop and the Spurs.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 01:25 PM
^RACK Obstructed_View
Spur fans are to quick to kiss ass when a player shows promise,

They don't care if it is Karl malone or Kobe, as long as they think they can win a * free ring they will trade for del negro if they have to, All it takes is for Rasho or Manu to have a bad game and you guys are ready to talk trades for their ass's,

This from a fan of a team who gave away arguably the best point guard in the NBA right now... (behind Tony Parker, of course).

"He who lives in glass houses...."

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:26 PM
one thing is clear, Pop is one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time and will be ranked in the top three when it's all over.

Funny how no one said that back when the Spurs got swept by the lakers in the semi finals :lmao

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Mouse, everybody defends players on their own team. If not, you wouldn't be brown-nosing on KVH or Stackhouse 24/7.

How is signing Malik to a big contract a lack of loyalty? He got paid and stopped playing well, but they still honored the contract. They traded Kerr to Portland and then traded to get him back, where he won another ring with them. After making him the highest paid player in the league for years, the Spurs were thinking David was going to take a paycut, like he had said a thousand times so the Spurs could sign free-agents, and when David started to cry to the press about it, they sacrificed DA to get David's deal done. Seems about as loyal as an NBA team can get.

Glenn Robinson has had attitude problems his entire career, including this year, which is why he was a) traded and released, b)available and c) a risk. We'll just have to wait and see if he implodes or if he jumps ship the first opportunity he gets. I never said Glenn Robinson owes anyone any loyalty, I just predicted that he would not be likely to show any to the Spurs, and warned people not to get their hopes up just because he's on the team right now.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 01:30 PM
We didn't sign Robinson to help him turn his life around...we signed him for his J...it's a mutually beneficial deal for both of us right now...Robinson doesn't owe us any loyalty for playing for us for 75,000 dollars...

I think if he likes it here, for his own good, he might be willing to stay here...I don't think any loyalty is required for him...right now he's giving us the deal.

If it's good for him he might give us a deal...the point is that I think his decision will be about more than just $$$. He wants to get paid...but I don't think he wants to go back to the Hornets or Hawks...or Philly...he wanted out of those places even when he was getting paid.

To put it bluntly, Robinson is kind of a headcase and with headcases it's never totally about money...sometimes that's a good thing and somtimes it's not.

I agree with the above completely, other than the fact that I'm less optimistic that he'll realize that this team is good for him even if he can make more money somewhere else. Doesn't mean it isn't so, it just means he might not realize it. He's a bargain right now, and he certainly shouldn't have to play for the minimum just to stay on the team. If the Spurs can't come up with something competitive I wouldn't blame him for leaving anyway.

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Mouse, everybody defends players on their own team. If not, you wouldn't be brown-nosing on KVH or Stackhouse 24/7.

How is signing Malik to a big contract a lack of loyalty? He got paid and stopped playing well, but they still honored the contract. They traded Kerr to Portland and then traded to get him back, where he won another ring with them. After making him the highest paid player in the league for years, the Spurs were thinking David was going to take a paycut, like he had said a thousand times so the Spurs could sign free-agents, and when David started to cry to the press about it, they sacrificed DA to get David's deal done. Seems about as loyal as an NBA team can get.

Glenn Robinson has had attitude problems his entire career, including this year, which is why he was a) traded and released, b)available and c) a risk. We'll just have to wait and see if he implodes or if he jumps ship the first opportunity he gets. I never said Glenn Robinson owes anyone any loyalty, I just predicted that he would not be likely to show any to the Spurs, and warned people not to get their hopes up just because he's on the team right now.

You got a funny definition of loyalty, as well a as version of Spurs history with some glaring gaps in it......you have the one way definition of loyalty...it's really no point in arguing but just don't act like the Spurs are some bastion of loyalty...because they aren't. They make decisions based on $$$ just like everyone else...even when it comes to David Robinson..and you need to brush on Drob's history with this franchise and see who you think was more loyal to whom.

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Mouse, everybody defends players on their own team.

Psssssst! Go to pages 7,6,and 5 you will see the get rid of Rasho, Mohammed and Manu posts. It that what you call defending your players ? :lmao

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Any player that takes a contract with the Spurs for as much or less than he is being offered by just about any other team in the NBA is taking a paycut...The Spurs are the NBA's smallest market and it is a financially strapped one with limited endorsement money. Any player that takes a pat max deal here is taking a paycut.

If Malk Rose signed for the same with us as LA was offering him...he was taking a paycut..

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
hey asshole, I mean mouse

you had it right the first time :lmao

......big dog in a contract year, were MILLIONS hang in the balance=spurs in the finals.

Pssssst ! you can't buy your ring every year, Just ask Mark Cuban

read them and weep sucka.

I will read but If weep it will be from having to come in here reading 100 Pop has to go topics when you guys choke in the 2nd round.

:lmao

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:46 PM
You got a funny definition of loyalty, as well a as version of Spurs history with some glaring gaps in it.....

My definition is cut and dry, Either you support your team, owner, and fans, or you don't, You guys flip flop to much.

you have the one way definition of loyalty...

Thank you for the compliment

it's really no point in arguing

You got that right. I have a 12 pack of beer and I will bring out the Smack bat on your ass if you try and run smack.

but just don't act like the Spurs are some bastion of loyalty...because they aren't

tell that to AJ DA DA Rodman,,,,, must I go on?.
not to mention Bob Hill :lmao

They make decisions based on $$$ just like everyone else..

If that was true, why did Rose get all that $$ ? why? so you can trade him?

don't make me laugh any more than I am all ready. It comes down to who Pop likes and doesn't.

even when it comes to David Robinson..and you need to brush on Drob's history with this franchise and see who you think was more loyal to whom.

Pssssst! David was loyal to his City ,fans, and his Family not to mention he wants to live here, I don't think It was about $$ he wanted a ring and knew tim Duncan was the key.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 01:48 PM
You got a funny definition of loyalty, as well a as version of Spurs history with some glaring gaps in it......you have the one way definition of loyalty...it's really no point in arguing but just don't act like the Spurs are some bastion of loyalty...because they aren't. They make decisions based on $$$ just like everyone else...even when it comes to David Robinson..and you need to brush on Drob's history with this franchise and see who you think was more loyal to whom.

First of all, I wasn't the first one to mention the concept of loyalty. I mentioned that people who think he's going to sign for way under market value just because he loves us so much is kind of a pipedream. Second, you and I are in agreement on the reality of the way the NBA operates, other than you somehow think the Spurs treated Malik, Kerr and DRob badly somehow, but you don't really explain how. Third, how does paying a superstar more than any other player, including players who are better and players who win championships, show a lack of loyalty on the team's part?

picnroll
04-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Funny how no one said that back when the Spurs got swept by the lakers in the semi finals :lmao
Not me.

I think the competitveness the Spurs maintain in the face of guys like Cuban who spend 2 to 1 to buy a championship or teams like LA who can attract talent because players can get sweet Nike deals and bang endless numbers of starlets is based on the tone set by Pop and the talent he's been able to acquire on the cheap. Some write it all off to the Spurs having the luck of getting Duncan. That helps but that's not nearly the whole story.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 01:51 PM
My definition is cut and dry, Either you support your team, owner, and fans, or you don't, You guys flip flop to much.

Thank you for the compliment

You got that right. I have a 12 pack of beer and I will bring out the Smack bat on your ass if you try and run smack.

tell that to AJ DA DA Rodman,,,,, must I go on?.
not to mention Bob Hill :lmao

If that was true, why did Rose get all that $$ ? why? so you can trade him?

don't make me laugh any more than I am all ready. It comes down to who Pop likes and doesn't.

Pssssst! David was loyal to his City ,fans, and his Family not to mention he wants to live here, I don't think It was about $$ he wanted a ring and knew tim Duncan was the key.

The above may be the most confusing mishmash of contradictions and inane opinions I've ever seen. BTW, whottt was responding to my post, not yours.

whottt
04-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Who flip flops...Spursfans need to wake up and realize this franchise is no better or no more righteous than most of the other teams in the NBA. It's better run...but it's not some beacon of altruism...Spurs fans need to stop being so full of themselves.

The smack bat is out of business ;)

I think sometimes it comes down to how much Holt is willing to fork out...even if Pop wants otherwise. Pop wasn't the guy lowballing Parker this offeseason.

I know DRob was loyal, more loyal to the Spurs than vice versa...that's my point.

And if he had wanted a ring he would never signed here in the first place coming out of the Navy...

He didn't have to do that you know...the Lakers wanted him, I remember seeing him sitting by Jerry West in a playoff game when they were recruiting him.

ChumpDumper
04-17-2005, 01:57 PM
If the Spurs are continuing with their previous plans, GRob would have to take whatever MLE scraps are left from the Scola signing. There's a slight chance he could be talked into a wink-wink deal for more money once the Spurs have early-Bird rights on him, but my guess is he'd want to go somewhere he would play more minutes -- this would be one crowded swing rotation if everyone came back. I think at this point Devin is more of a long term priority for the Spurs and GRob is going to make the most of his mercenary run here, then go somewhere else to start or be sixth man.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:57 PM
The above may be the most confusing mishmash of contradictions and inane opinions I've ever seen. BTW, whottt was responding to my post, not yours.

You know you may be right, Should I edit or just let it fly? :lmao

let me know dawg I am just here as a visitor it's your world brah. :smokin

mouse
04-17-2005, 01:58 PM
The above may be the most confusing mishmash of contradictions and inane opinions I've ever seen.

I take it you don't read many of my posts :lmao

whottt
04-17-2005, 02:02 PM
If the Spurs are continuing with their previous plans, GRob would have to take whatever MLE scraps are left from the Scola signing.

Maybe...then again maybe Glenn Robinson will show what made him a #1 pick and make himself a more attractive option for a championship repeat than a rookie.

There's a slight chance he could be talked into a wink-wink deal for more money once the Spurs have early-Bird rights on him, but my guess is he'd want to go somewhere he would play more minutes

I agree with you on the minutes...but you do realize that Big Dogg is younger than Bowen right?

There won't be any type of wink wink deal for early bird rights...that's just the MLE and it would take the full MLE to get him here for 1 year IMO.

-- this would be one crowded swing rotation if everyone came back. I think at this point Devin is more of a long term priority for the Spurs

I don't see the Spurs rushing to the bank to pony up a lot of $$$ for a guy with back injuries..they want Devin back...but they aren't going to sign him to a hefty $$$ deal with potential back problems like that.

Robinson may not be totally motivated to get the biggest contract he can get...but I can't see him taking anything less than the full MLE if he plays well in the playoffs...That's still taking a paycut probably.

and GRob is going to make the most of his mercenary run here, then go somewhere else to start or be sixth man.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I agree.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Did you just offer as evidence of David Robinson's loyalty is that he signed a contract with the team that drafted him with the first pick? Okay, I'm lost.

ChumpDumper
04-17-2005, 02:08 PM
If the Spurs use the full MLE on GRob, these things would logically follow:

1) Devin signs with Denver.

2) Scola's rights are traded to someone who will sign him.

3) One of Manu/Barry/Bowen is traded.

Not one of these things -- all three. Just doesn't seem that likely.

Obstructed_View
I take it you don't read many of my posts :lmao

LOL. Not yet, but I'm trying to catch up. :)

mouse
Who flip flops...

I take it your new here.

Psssst! start at page 20 and work your way back, you will see more fipping and flopping since the Kerry vs Bush Debates :lmao

Spursfans need to wake up and realize this franchise is no better or no more righteous than most of the other teams in the NBA. It's better run...but it's not some beacon of altruism...Spurs fans need to stop being so full of themselves.

may be the best post of the day, To bad it will never happen in my lifetime.

The smack bat is out of business ;)

wow I had no idea. I lost all my links two months ago when I reformatted my HD to get rid of all the spy wear I picked up from Spurs report.

I think sometimes it comes down to how much Holt is willing to fork out...even if Pop wants otherwise. Pop wasn't the guy lowballing Parker this offeseason.

I have to agree with this, Do you work for the paper or the spurs?

I know DRob was loyal, more loyal to the Spurs than vice versa...that's my point.

That is so true, If you look up the word loyal in the dictionary you should see his face.

And if he had wanted a ring he would never signed here in the first place coming out of the Navy...

I think you better check with red McCombs on that before you speculate.

He didn't have to do that you know...the Lakers wanted him, I remember seeing him sitting by Jerry West in a playoff game when they were recruiting him.

You make a good point I wonder if anyone knows the real reason he picked the Spurs. Kori?

Are you sure he had no choice?

mouse
04-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Did you just offer as evidence of David Robinson's loyalty is that he signed a contract with the team that drafted him with the first pick? Okay, I'm lost.

Thats what I thought till I read this...

WhottI know DRob was loyal, more loyal to the Spurs than vice versa...that's my point.

picnroll
04-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Robinson has one invaluable commodity that management looks for. If he's on his game he forces very difficult, near impossible match-up problem for the opponent. If he shows he can play effective defense he's much more valuable than a re-signed Brown.

When Pop was asked about bringing in Scola he was not highly committal, something along the lines of "if we want him and if he wants to come".

Al Sharpton
04-17-2005, 02:17 PM
What Mark Cuban did I am not happy with but At least I don't flip flop.

Al Sharpton
04-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Not me.

I think the competitveness the Spurs maintain in the face of guys like Cuban who spend 2 to 1 to buy a championship or teams like LA who can attract talent because players can get sweet Nike deals and bang endless numbers of starlets is based on the tone set by Pop and the talent he's been able to acquire on the cheap. Some write it all off to the Spurs having the luck of getting Duncan. That helps but that's not nearly the whole story.

Come on Brah, are you saying after the spurs folded their tents and went home with their tails between their legs when the lakers punked your ass, you where not mad at Pop?

be honest,

Troll
04-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Nice to read a topic w/o The Wrtter aka Buddy holly telling someone to suck his dick.

picnroll
04-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Why would I be mad at Pop?

Some say it was Pop's failure to adjust but I didn't see that. What I saw was two factors:

1. Refing after game two was shaded toward the Lakers allowing much more physical defense. In particular Malone was allowed to be very pysical with Duncan, his favorite being pushing into Duncan as Duncan was releasing his shot, moving Duncan away from the basket and making the shot fall short. This was done repetitively and was why for the first time in years of TD - Malone matchups Duncan could be "guarded" by Malone.

2.Collapse of Spurs perimeter shooting. Can't hang that on Pop.

Troll
04-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Why would I be mad at Pop?

Ok I take it you did not see the games. dude everyone in San Antonio and in [/b]all[/b] the websites wanted Pop's head on a plate.

That was embarassing to see the spurs go out like that, Where was you?

Some say it was Pop's failure to adjust but I didn't see that. What I saw was two factors:
No Plays I see them to :lamo

1. Refing after game two was shaded toward the Lakers allowing much more physical defense. In particular Malone was allowed to be very pysical with Duncan, his favorite being pushing into Duncan as Duncan was releasing his shot, moving Duncan away from the basket and making the shot fall short. This was done repetitively and was why for the first time in years of TD - Malone matchups Duncan could be "guarded" by Malone.

2.Collapse of Spurs perimeter shooting. Can't hang that on Pop.

That was good, I think like you, but when your ready to pull your head out of the sand let me know

Rick Von Braun
04-17-2005, 03:02 PM
These are my 2 cents:

Unless Big Dog gets in the playoff roster AND plays spectacularly in the playoffs, the Spurs will not offer him more than 1.5M/year max in the best case scenario.

If Robinson gets any offer from any team with more money on the table, he'll take it, ring or no ring this year. There is no way the Spurs keep Manu, Bowen, Barry, Brown and Robinson as swingmen in the team. If Robinson plays any good in the playoffs, he would like to get paid AND go to a team where he can play more minutes to increase his value/stats. If he doesn't play any good, why would the Spurs be interested in him in the first place. The Spurs are renting him for a couple of months for cheap, not as a long term investment.

The Spurs will use part of the MLE to sign Scola (up to ~9-11M for 3 years, 4th year team option), use their rights to re-sign Devin (up to ~9-11M for 3 years, 4th year team option), and try to resign Horry, TM and Marks for vets min contracts. Horry may get a larger contract depending on peformance and the remaining part of the MLE.

The only investment I see the Spurs doing next season is in a long SF if they are not satisfied with LJIII. They could get someone in the draft. An athletic center may be in their plans as well, but those are much more difficult to get, unless there is a trade involved.

MadDog73
04-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey, what happened to the Mavs last year? I already forgot.... :lol

I doubt any NBA fan will forget 0.4 seconds. I know the Spurs won't, which is just one of the reasons I think the Spurs will win this year.

But hey, at least the Mighty Mighty Mavs are beating the Lakers by 5 points right now!

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Pssssst ! you can't buy your ring every year, Just ask Mark Cuban

With that logic...Cuban has yet to "buy" any kind of ring......except out of a Cracker Jack box.

So you now say we "bought" ring? I don't ever hear of the Spurs throwing money around like Cuban does and yet Cuban and the Mavs have yet to show anything for it.

ShoogarBear
04-17-2005, 06:34 PM
I pretty much agree with RVB and whottt.

Here's a simple way of looking at it:
-Glenn Robinson is not going to play anywhere next year where he cant' be a starter.
-Glenn Robinson is not going to start for the Spurs.

This is a mutual-needs deal. The Spurs need another scorer, Robinson needs some cred for his next contract negotiation. If it works out according to plan, Big Dog gets himself a ring and a nice fat new contract.

cherylsteele
04-17-2005, 06:39 PM
I personally would not be surprised or upset if he were to go elsewhere next year....I am just saying that there is always a chance of him staying.....I understand why he was brought here....I like the move...I think it was very shrewd move.

It is kinda like the reason 'Nique was signed....He was supposed to be a scorer off the bench....for a possible playoff run....but due to injuries, all thoser plans fell through.

GRob has had problem with attitude....but he was never a "thug" like Malone and those types......his attitude may have been due to the teammates he had in the past....so far he has been a "good citizen".

ChumpDumper
04-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Horry may get a larger contract depending on peformance and the remaining part of the MLE.Unnecessary. Even though the Spurs renounced Horry last summer, they will have early Bird rights to him next summer. Whottt will verfy this as I am leaving for SA now.

whottt
04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Whatever, he can still opt out for more $$$ if winked by the Spurs, he can play again and still get a small raise over the min, or he can retire and still get paid...stop trying to pretend it's a normal vet min deal.

And I don't remember the Spurs renouncing his rights...In fact, I didn't think they had any rights to him to renounce after 1 season ....what are they called? Early worm rights? Insomniatic bird rights?

grjr
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
I think they had a team option on Horry for $5mil his second season.

Brodels
04-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Sure thing prediction: Big Dog won't be back.

Out-on-a-limb prediction: Devin won't be back, either.

whottt
04-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Well that would certainly be a good reason to renounce the living shit out of his rights...but Chump needs to realize that does not change a thing concerning my arguments this past offseason...GFY chump, they still made every concession they could to Horry given the room that they had after paying Manu and getting a shooter, and you don't know what was promised...or what Horry intends to do. Renouncing a 5.5 million contract was certainly understandable...but that doesn't justify nearly losing Horry by showing no interest whatsoever after the fact becasue of a lame ass Malone pursuit.

Look at how well he has played...he is a freaking steal for the Spurs...would you like to see him across from us on the Heat? IF so you are a fool.

So go ahead and and make you little trip to San Antonio...you can run but you can't hide. Bitch.

xcoriate
04-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Look at how well he has played...he is a freaking steal for the Spurs

Thankyou, I've sad it all along Horry has one of the best "bang for buck" vet contracts in the nba. He bring so much to the table for so little $$$.

Who were the ones calling for his head earlier in the season? Come on.

juncan
04-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I have a question that If Scola joins the Spurs this summer,he's just a rookie,I remember when Manu came in 2002,he got a sign of not more than 150 million.

Why your guys say that give him part of MCE?

Thanks.

Rick Von Braun
04-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a question that If Scola joins the Spurs this summer,he's just a rookie,I remember when Manu came in 2002,he got a sign of not more than 150 million.

Why your guys say that give him part of MCE?

Thanks. Hi Juncan,

I assumed you meant $1.5M, not $150M http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Second round draftees are not bound by any salary scale (as oppose to 1st rounders). Therefore, the Spurs can pay him whatever they want (bound to the salary cap limitations). Since the Spurs are over the cap, they will have to use all or part of the MLE (~$5M). In the case of Scola, he'll have to pay ~$2M to Tau Ceramica for his contract buyout, and when you consider 40-50% tax as a foreigner in a high income bracket*, he may need something around 3 years $9-11M to get roughly $1.8-2M per year (there is a minimum amount of money they have to pay him in the first year in order for him to pay off his buyout and taxes).

In the case of Manu, his buyout was much smaller ($750K), and the Spurs payed little less than half of it ($350k allowed by the NBA rules). The rest was payed with a bonus.

*NOTE: he could get incorporated to reduce the amount of taxes, but there are some limitations when you are a foreigner. After one year of living and working in the States, he could start playing more games with some loopholes.

Cheers

Rick Von Braun
04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Sure thing prediction: Big Dog won't be back.

Out-on-a-limb prediction: Devin won't be back, either.

Not so out-on-a-limb... Denver and Chicago will go after Devin aggressively this Summer. The 'good' thing for the Spurs is that his back problems may scare some people and keep his price down. The bad thing for Devin is that recurrent back problems may scare even the Spurs.

whottt
04-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I thought Scola's contract was up after this season?

whottt
04-18-2005, 12:51 AM
In that case we are looking at giving him the entire MLE...who do you guys think is more worth that? The former All Star #1 pick with the best midrange in the game @ the MLE for 1 season, or the unproven Euro Rookie @ the MLE for 2-3? And SF is a greater need than a back up for Duncan...or Rasho/Nazr/Horry/Marks/Mass.

Not saying we can get Big Dogg for that, but if the best he gets offered is 6 mil or something a year...he might want to sign on with us for another ring @ the MLE and try to earn a bigger contract.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Nice try, Spanky.

A minimum contract is a minimum contract. I said Horry was great for the minimum and that no one would pay him more after he disappeared against the Lakers. Your gnashing of teeth and bitching about Bob's hurt feelings were just more bullshit on your pile.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 01:32 AM
And tell me how the minutes break down and which one of our four multimillion dollar swingmen get traded because there is no way in hell the Spurs keep them all.

baseline bum
04-18-2005, 01:54 AM
I'd rather sign Scola than Robinson. Horry doesn't have much left.

whottt
04-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Nice try, Spanky.

A minimum contract is a minimum contract. I said Horry was great for the minimum and that no one would pay him more after he disappeared against the Lakers. Your gnashing of teeth and bitching about Bob's hurt feelings were just more bullshit on your pile.

And I said the Spurs should at least let Horry know they want him back...something he was claiming they weren't doing at the time...he was doing this after we were capped out asshat...so it obviously wasn't about getting paid this season...and if we had gotten Malone Horry wouldn't be here...and that's something else you were stupid about also. Don't confuse luck with being right.

And stop bringing up the stupid minimum contract like it was a seminal point ass hat...We were already capped out when the discussion began and he didn't sign a fucking minimum contract anyway.

You said fuck Horry and treat him like a dogshit scrub is what you said....it's what you always say, unless it's a choker...and then you can't get enough of them. Choker loving Bitch.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 02:16 AM
And stop bringing up the stupid minimum contract like it was a seminal pointIt is.
We were already capped out when the discussion beganOnly you weren't aware of it.
he didn't sign a fucking minimum contract anyway. Sure he did.
You said fuck Horry and treat him like a dogshit scrub is what you said.Nope. Don't lie. I was counting on Malone to be upfront and he was. We didn't have to wait and Horry didn't get any other offers. Why are you so angry about my being right? It's just like the Barry bet.

whottt
04-18-2005, 02:23 AM
It is.
No it isn't...it wasn't.

Only you weren't aware of it.

What I wasn't aware of was that there was a team option for another year...Bottom line is that at the time of the argument we were capped out and yes I did know that.

Sure he did.Nope. Don't lie. I was counting on Malone to be upfront and he was.

Oh yeah Malone was real fucking admirably upfront...6 months later.

We didn't have to wait and Horry didn't get any other offers.

That's not true...he did get other offers...he got an offer from the Heat and someone else IIRC. But he wanted to play for the Spurs, contend for a ring, and be close to home...and the Spurs were basically telling him to get fucked until late in the offseason. All it took was the Spurs showing interest...which is what they finally did.

You wanted the choker over the clutch guy a fucking gain. Be glad Malone didn't sign his old ass up here at the expense of Horry.

And before you try it...I didn't start advocating the signing of Malone until Horry was already signed.

Why are you so angry about my being right? It's just like the Barry bet.

I am not angry about you being right about Barry...#1 I don't ever get angry with you...it's like...When you burn ants with a magnifying glass are you doing it out of anger?

#2. The ant does sting you every once in a while...but If I was right anynore than I already am you'd be hopelessly defeated and afraid to argue with me. It already takes a herculean effort just to get you to stop being vague and get off the fucking fence......so enjoy your one time of "right", to go with all that "wrong"...Chump!

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Oh yeah Malone was real fucking admirably upfront.He said don't wait. So we didn't and signed Horry -- and yet you still find a way to be angry about it. Just because you are a spiteful pussy doesn't mean you can project your pussiness onto professional basketball players. And if Manu, Barry and Horry were pussies like you, I would indeed want them to fuck right off -- which was something you predictably never understood I was saying all along. Fortunately for all of us they are made of sterner stuff than the likes of you.

whottt
04-18-2005, 02:42 AM
He said don't wait. So we didn't and signed Horry -- and yet you still find a way to be angry about it. Just because you are a spiteful pussy doesn't mean you can project your pussiness onto professional basketball players. And if Manu, Barry and Horry were pussies like you, I would indeed want them to fuck right off -- which was something you predictably never understood I was saying all along. Fortunately for all of us they are made of sterner stuff than the likes of you.

Classic...the guy who said Hedo>Manu is lecturing me on pussy players...I guess you'd be the expert since every player you like fits that criteria under pressure.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Classic, you managed to put off answering how the minutes would be divided and who would be traded if GRob got the MLE because you're all pissed about being wrong again.

Get off the fence, pussy.
I guess you'd be the expert since every player you like fits that criteria under pressure.So you do think Manu and Duncan and Bruce and Rasho and Tony and Tony and Rob and GRob and Devin are all pussies. All the Spurs. To a man. You just hope they are pussies so you can feel better about your miserable pussidom.

whottt
04-18-2005, 02:52 AM
I am not the one that goes around saying fuck Manu and Horry etc and then hided behind some "IF" of my own creation... you call them a pussy based on your own stupid interpretation....put it another way...you are the only idiot on this board that thinks I thought Manu was a pussy. Ever...Stupid fuck.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I never did -- there was always the condition, moron.

If Manu/Horry/Barry acts in the pussy way that Whottt is projecting on him, he is indeed a pussy and should fuck right off like Whott should always do.

Feel free to look those up.

Now quit stalling and give us your rotation.

whottt
04-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Classic, you managed to put off answering how the minutes would be divided and who would be traded if GRob got the MLE because you're all pissed about being wrong again.

Why would I be pissed? I seldom try to predict what the Spurs will do...which is why I feel free to raise hell when we choke 4 games in a row in the playoffs because of what they do if it went against what I wanted..so stop acting like we won a fucking title last year...Hedo, Charlie.

On top of that it's not like I am saying Big Dogg is lock to fucking resign but if he wants to? And he plays up to his historical form and helps us win a title in the playoffs?

Ummm most likely...see ya Devin. All Star and #1 pick VS NBDL guy with a shakey back...What a fucking Chump you are.

It's highly unlikely that will happen though.

Maybe I don't understand what the fuck you are asking me...what 4 swingmen?

Barry, Bowen, Devin and Robinson? Who is in the rotation now and how is it working now?

If he plays on offense like he has most of his career plus tries to play D...Our time to win is fucking now...I say see ya Scola, see ya Devin....see ya any other project that gets in the way of trying to win another title.

IF he sucks of course I won't want him back.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 03:09 AM
I seldom try to predict what the Spurs will do.Keep it that way.
which is why I feel free to raise hell when we choke 4 games in a row in the playoffs because of what they do if it went against what I wanted..so stop acting like we won a fucking title last year...Hedo, Charlie.After your boyfirend Shane was waived, you didn't want anything, so don't act like you had any alternatives (no, Shane and Ron sucked and do not count). Had you actually made one suggestion during the season concerning players that were available at the time (no Heal, no Ron), you may have had the right to bitch.
Ummm most likely...see ya Devin.That's already understood you idiot. You'll notice I didn't even include him in the question you stupid fuck. More evidence you were just angling to avoid anything concrete.

The question was this: how are you going to divide minutes between the four remaining swingmen, and which one will be traded for playing minutes not worthy of the contract he has?

whottt
04-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Keep it that way.After your boyfirend Shane was waived, you didn't want anything, so don't act like you had any alternatives (no, Shane and Ron sucked and do not count).

Actually I kinda liked the Dana Barros suggestion.

And stop bringing up Mercer bitch...he was still on the team, keep fucking with me about that and I am gonna go find the quote by you saying you wanted to see him play PG...what a fucking idiot.

[quote]Had you actually made one suggestion during the season concerning players that were available at the time (no Heal, no Ron), you may have had the right to bitch.

No I have the right to bitch because I didn't want to waive Heal in the first place to keep Carter...that gives me indefinite and infinite right to bitch.

That's already understood you idiot. You'll notice I didn't even include him in the question you stupid fuck. More evidence you were just angling to avoid anything concrete.

Hmmm...I don't really see the problem...I don't see the need to trade any of them...then again I have to remember that Pop can't handle having too much talent...or "pussies" as you like to call them, when getting yanked and inconsistent minutes or DNPCD'ed fucks with their heads...even thought it's affected every non starter on the roster and they willingly admit it.

The minutes(as Pop likes to divide them) fucked with your boy Nazr's head too..they fucked with Horry, they fucked with Malik, they fucked with Barry, they fucked with Hedo, they fucked with Devin, they fucked with Beno.

The question was this: how are you going to divide minutes between the four remaining swingmen, and which one will be traded for playing minutes not worthy of the contract he has?

To my thinking I don't see the problem with dividing those minutes between 3 mid 30's players and a 2 guard that has to be rested from time to time...but then again, I'm not an idiot.

I say those guys are better suited for winning a title now and next year...and if the minutes are truly you major concern then you get you what you can for Beno and Scola(which could potentially be a lot) and let Barry get minutes at the back up PG slot.

But again..let me qualify that statement...#1.I am not on some big crusade to resign the Big Dog and I doubt it will happen. #2.Everything is contingent on how they play in the post season. If Robinson and Barry suck in the playoffs I won't feel that way.

And I'd like to make one other prediction...If Nazr keep playing at this level...the next guy that's going to bandied about as trade bait IMO is Rasho.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 03:56 AM
quote by you saying you wanted to see him play PG.I said he played more in the offense when he ran the point. That was true and I freely admit that.
I don't really see the problem.Then you'll have no problem putting down the minutes for the rotation, will you?
To my thinking I don't see the problem with dividing those minutes between 3 mid 30's players and a 2 guard that has to be rested from time to time.Then quit stalling and give the numbers, keeping in mind their roles on the team and of course whatever hurt feelings you think they'll have. Unless you're going to backtrack on that too.
Hmmm...I don't really see the problem...I don't see the need to trade any of them...then again I have to remember that Pop can't handle having too much talent...or "pussies" as you like to call them, when getting yanked and inconsistent minutes or DNPCD'ed fucks with their heads...even thought it's affected every non starter on the roster and they willingly admit it.

The minutes fucked with your boy Nazr's head too..they fucked with Horry, they fucked with Malik, they fucked with Barry, they fucked with Hedo, they fucked with Devin, they fucked with Beno.Why do you feel the need to contradict yourself in every post? Do you even realize you do it?

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 03:56 AM
And I'd like to make one other prediction...If Nazr keep playing at this level...the next guy that's going to bandied about as trade bait IMO is Rasho.I see you read my post on that. Good job.

whottt
04-18-2005, 04:37 AM
I said he played more in the offense when he ran the point. That was true and I freely admit that.

Yeah? And Brewski freely admitted that he bases his takes on what fantasy experts say...you two make a fine club.

Then you'll have no problem putting down the minutes for the rotation, will you?Then quit stalling and give the numbers, keeping in mind their roles on the team and of course whatever hurt feelings you think they'll have.

Why do you guys always make such a huge issue about the minutes? It's not necessarily what minutes they get, it's how they get them...

But since you must know...and remember this is contingent on how Barry and Robinson play...do not attempt to paint me into some corner about this being some holy crusade of mine...

But let's just say it's a perfect world for the sake of argument...Barry plays like he has been, and Robinson shows the ability to still drop 30 on someone from time to time shooting 60% from 17 feet out...

I give Manu 28 minutes, Robinson 30 minutes, Bowen 20 minutes(depending on how much we need his skills on that particular night) and Barry 20 minutes(taking 2 or so from the PG spot playing alongside Manu)....There could be additional minutes available via staggering due to giving the other guys a night off...like we have been doing with Manu lately.

If you decide you want to move Beno then even more minutes become available...because you won't have to play a 3rd string PG 10 minutes per game.

And I do this without DNPCDing them for the second half of a game because they missed one rotation or took a bad shot in the first half...

I know my idea of putting Robinson ahead of Bowen might surprise you and stupidly lead you to conclude I hate Bowen...

But the fact of the matter is that Bowen is a highly specialized player who is approaching his mid 30's, his skills are absolute invaluable but playing 35 minutes a game at the age of 34-35 is not going to improve them in the playoffs...and Glenn Robinson is younger and was an All Star not too long ago...Remember I said this was in a perfect world...

I know you will be outraged by my idea because only in San Antonio are guys who rate in the top 10 all time in PPS forced into comptetion with NBDL guys and rookies...only in SA would Steve Nash never make it off the IR...

But that's my vision...if Barry and Robinson live up to their billing...

Unless you're going to backtrack on that too.Why do you feel the need to contradict yourself in every post? Do you even realize you do it?

I didn't back track...I just know your lack of common sense and childlike inability to remember past arguments so I corrected it before you posted...

I mean they way Pop distributes minutes...2 minutes in the first half, none in the second, DNPCD when you have been playing well...I mean getting your minutes like that....with those kinds of substitutions.

Smackie Chan
04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
stop bringing up the stupid minimum contract ass hat...Choker loving Bitch.

:lmao

mouse
04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Whottt seems to have that knock out punch..http://www.hbo.com/boxing/img/commentator_photo_lampley.jpg

Lee Harvey Oswald
04-18-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/img/columnist_photo_lederman.jpgI would not count out Chump Dumper out just yet

Mr Hanky
04-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Forget those two fools and buy my grillhttp://www.eastsideboxing.com/boxing-news/images/foreman.jpg

Aunt Jemima
04-18-2005, 02:07 PM
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/people/cosell2.jpg

Dis.......is...........how....wad.......cos......s ell...........

Victor Newman
04-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Chump and Whott seem to have what it takes to work for me at Newman Enterprises

smeagol
04-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Mouse, dude, you are hilarious!

Useruser666
04-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Forget those two fools and buy my grillhttp://www.eastsideboxing.com/boxing-news/images/foreman.jpg

Shouldn't this be posted under the George Forman or Ronco screen names?

Charlie
04-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Those two posters are good but do they have a Golden Ticket?

ChumpDumper
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
If GRob gets back to shooting 46-47% from the field, we can talk about starting him over Bowen.

Not before.