PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets tanking or stink take your pick

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Den match up seems a lock. Down 19 already in AZ end of one quarter, and Sac is losing as well. Throwing ball away and look like a lost team.

Even though Spurs lost a heart break tonight again Denver is toast. Bring em on.

exstatic
04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, Denver seems to have lost momentum. I'll see your Voshon, and raise you a Big Dog. :devil

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah, and Utah is beating Sacto too.

Fuck Denver, they have lost their mojo.

Bring em on.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
That's the spirit! Although with Utah leading the Kings, 73-64, there's still a chance the Kings fall to 7th, right? Who owns the tiebreaker between the Kings and the Nuggets?

Never mind, if both the Nuggets and Kings lose, then the Kings cannot drop, correct? (Looks like Kings own tiebreaker)

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
That's the spirit! Although with Utah leading the Kings, 73-64, there's still a chance the Kings fall to 7th, right? Who owns the tiebreaker between the Kings and the Nuggets?

Kings do, they won the season series, 2-1

Spurminator
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I pick "Suns are good."

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Maybe this will calm down the Aggies and the Canadiens.

Jimcs50
04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
44 points in 1st Q????

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks Spurminator, glad somebody said it.

Never occured to the thread starter that the Suns have won 61 games for a reason.

exstatic
04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Loser teams lose to position themselves for the playoffs.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Suns have won 61 games for a reason.

Goody for them.

Have they started playing defense yet???

Rummpd
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Suns are good but will know face a more confident Memphis team after tonight then the winner of Houston and Dallas.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Goody for them.

Have they started playing defense yet???

About 61 games ago. :rolleyes

The Suns play average defense statistically but they can get stops when they need them. Suns defense is designed to force outside shots and get deflections that feed the fastbreak. They get lazy on defense sometimes and more often than not they get away with it.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
The Suns play average defense statistically but they can get stops when they need them. Suns defense is designed to force outside shots and get deflections that feed the fastbreak. They get lazy on defense sometimes and more often than not they get away with it.

Afraid to tell you skippy.

That kind of defense gets you knocked out in the second round.

Youll beat Memphis in 4 games, just because Memphis is terrible.

But that wont beat the Rockets or Mavericks.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
they can get stops when they need them

Yeah, like the Spurs game where Ginobili, Duncan, Brent Barry got every shot they wanted???

No question.

Spurminator
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
The Suns play decent defense. Don't let the PPG fool you.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Afraid to tell you skippy.

That kind of defense gets you knocked out in the second round.

Youll beat Memphis in 4 games, just because Memphis is terrible.

But that wont beat the Rockets or Mavericks.

I guess we'll see.

But if everyone has to pick up thier game in the second season why not the Suns?

The Suns flaw is rebounding, not on the ball defense.

For Dallas or Houston to beat Phoenix they have to dominate the boards and shoot a very high percentage.

Dallas scares me, as they should scare anyone, but I believe the Suns could beat either team in 7 games, skippy.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, like the Spurs game where Ginobili, Duncan, Brent Barry got every shot they wanted???

No question.

And the Suns were worn out in OT because they only played 6 players any minutes.

Spurs depth beat a shorthanded Suns that night.

What a great game that was. Spurs made some great shots.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Spurs depth beat a shorthanded Suns

Who was hurt that night?

For Dallas or Houston to beat Phoenix they have to dominate the boards and shoot a very high percentage.

I disagree.

They have to make the game a half court game, play good defense hold the Suns under 45 percent shooting, and take the ball at the Suns soft interior D.

Slow the game down, play good D, agressive to the basket offense. Beats the Suns everytime.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Who was hurt that night?

Suns traded three players and did not have Jackson available yet.

Barbosa, the backup PG was injured. Suns only had 9 players available.

The bench got 21 min total in an overtime game.

The Spurs played 10 players, Manu had a career night, and the Spurs only won by 5 in overtime.

Spurs had much more energy at the end of that game.

If that game is your only example your perspective is skewed.

I disagree.

They have to make the game a half court game, play good defense hold the Suns under 45 percent shooting, and take the ball at the Suns soft interior D.

Slow the game down, play good D, agressive to the basket offense. Beats the Suns everytime.

OK, Skippy.

How many times have they beat us so far? How many games have you watched the Suns play?

Like I said, if Dallas and Houston can play better in the playoffs why can't the Suns do the same?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2005, 10:49 PM
OK, Skippy.

How many times have they beat us so far? How many games have you watched the Suns play?

Like I said, if Dallas and Houston can play better in the playoffs why can't the Suns do the same?[/QUOTE]

Suns have a huge lack of playoff experience especially with this year's unit, plus playoff style basketball wont suit the suns style of play at all. dallas and houston may not be playoff warriors but they both have the ability to grind it out much better than PHO

Nikos
04-18-2005, 10:55 PM
With that injury/lack of bench logic Sirchaz, Suns should win the title easily.

I think the Suns had plenty chances to win that double OT game, they simply lost. Jim Jackson or no Jim Jackson, they were likely going to lose that game anyway.

The Suns big three were doing pretty well, and Nash was in a passing groove -- even Marion hit a buzzer beater. Spurs got hot, turned up the D, and Phoenix stopped hitting everything.

I'm not saying the Spurs are a lock to win should those two teams meet, but it would not be false to say the Spurs have played the Suns well this season irrespective of either teams injuries and lack of bench at any point in time.

Nikos
04-18-2005, 10:58 PM
The Suns play decent defense. Don't let the PPG fool you.

At best.

On offense they are one of the best in NBA history. If their defense was above average, they would be rivaling the Chicago Bulls of the mid 90s as one of the most balanced teams of all time.

Their defense is reasonable at best if you factor the entire season.

I definetly would not say its good, I would say its about average.

JMarkJohns
04-18-2005, 10:58 PM
The Suns problem isn't defense, but defensive rebounding. They allow the most offesive rebounds per game of any team in the League.

These rebounds negate defensive holds and pretty much make for easy baskets being that the Suns employ little size.

They allow three extra possessions per game (over the NBA average) because of these rebounds and when coupled with the style of play, it's easy to see where the PPG come from.

As for the style of defense being a bad fit, the Suns lead the league (or at least have for much of the season) in defensive 3-pt field goal percentage. They have little size inside, so in order to force their mismatches on offense, they pack the lane on defense and contest jumpers.

If a team is hitting their shots, then the Suns struggle...if they aren't then the Suns typically win.

Nothing wrong with playing to your strengths.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
And the Suns were worn out in OT because they only played 6 players any minutes.

Spurs depth beat a shorthanded Suns that night.

Yep. Casey Jacobsen, Maciej Lampe and Jackson Vroman sure would have made all the difference in that game. :lol

SuBZer0
04-18-2005, 11:00 PM
The Houston loss really was a backbreaker for the Nugs...

The one day Carmelo actually plays great, they're getting blown out....

I can tell you one thing. If, and take note of the IF, it is a Suns vs. Pistons final, the Pistons will lose in five games, and they'll be wondering what hit them. The Pistons are a halfcourt defense team - they just can't defend the fast break; too slow, not their system etc.. Just look how they would have lost to the Nets last year if Kidd had been completely healthy, and how they lost to the Nets the year before in the ECF.

As I speak, though, the Nugs have gone on a bit of a run. They'll still be blown out though

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I guess we'll see.

But if everyone has to pick up thier game in the second season why not the Suns?

The Suns flaw is rebounding, not on the ball defense.

Dallas scares me, as they should scare anyone, but I believe the Suns could beat either team in 7 games, skippy.

Rockets should scare you too. Back to back 115-87, 115-90 games.
Damn skippy!

Obstructed_View
04-18-2005, 11:05 PM
suns win only if other team is tired and doesn't play D. that means phoenass is out in the second round.
That's sure the way it looks. The Nuggets are playing scintillating defense tonight.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 11:05 PM
With that injury/lack of bench logic Sirchaz, Suns should win the title easily.

I think the Suns had plenty chances to win that double OT game, they simply lost. Jim Jackson or no Jim Jackson, they were likely going to lose that game anyway.

The Suns big three were doing pretty well, and Nash was in a passing groove -- even Marion hit a buzzer beater. Spurs got hot, turned up the D, and Phoenix stopped hitting everything.

I'm not saying the Spurs are a lock to win should those two teams meet, but it would not be false to say the Spurs have played the Suns well this season irrespective of either teams injuries and lack of bench at any point in time.

That was a great game.

I would be happy if the WCF were between SA and PHO and were as competitive as that game.

By overtime the starters were gassed. I think that is the only time I can remember that being the case this season. The Suns usually wear the other team out.

The Spurs had greater depth, experience, and poise that night.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Yep. Casey Jacobsen, Maciej Lampe and Jackson Vroman sure would have made all the difference in that game. :lol

CJ would have been able to spell the starters for more than the 4 min Smush Parker gave them. The reason they made the trade is because the bench did not produce much. They did usually play more than 21 minutes though.

Spurs only had 3 players over 35 Min played. The Suns had 3 over 50.

The Spurs Duncan and Ginobili lead the team with 44 Min played.

Nash had the fewest of the Suns starters with 45.

What is your point again?

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Rockets should scare you too. Back to back 115-87, 115-90 games.
Damn skippy!

The only time they beat the Suns is when Marion was out.

McGrady sceares me but he is good for a game or two. In a seven game series I like our chances.

bonesinaz
04-18-2005, 11:17 PM
That was a great game.

I would be happy if the WCF were between SA and PHO and were as competitive as that game.

By overtime the starters were gassed. I think that is the only time I can remember that being the case this season. The Suns usually wear the other team out.

The Spurs had greater depth, experience, and poise that night.

Ths Spurs always have greater poise than the Suns. Amare is a showboating baby. His push-up stunt before his FTs hurt his team.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 11:18 PM
The only time they beat the Suns is when Marion was out.

McGrady sceares me but he is good for a game or two. In a seven game series I like our chances.

I'll be the first to admit Rockets sucked most of the Season.

But they are closing strong. Will it be enough to make it to the finals?

Who knows... what was TNT's motto last year? "The Truth be Told"

LOL, that was so lame... the Truth be Played, or the Truth be Showed.

That would be better. Damn, I'm tired, I should go to bed. :elephant

Obstructed_View
04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
CJ would have been able to spell the starters for more than the 4 min Smush Parker gave them. The reason they made the trade is because the bench did not produce much. They did usually play more than 21 minutes though.

Spurs only had 3 players over 35 Min played. The Suns had 3 over 50.

The Spurs Duncan and Ginobili lead the team with 44 Min played.

Nash had the fewest of the Suns starters with 45.

What is your point again?
Well you are finally right in that the Suns bench wasn't producing much of anything up to that point. Most, if not all of the starting five were in the top of the league in minutes. Casey Jacobsen averaged 19 minutes a game with Phoenix, so yes he would have made a 15 minute difference in the game. I'm sure his scorching 5.3 points per game would have been the difference.

Hey, at least you aren't blaming the refs, and I definitely agree that the playoffs will be kick-ass, win or lose, if a Suns-Spurs series is as good as that game was.

SirChaz
04-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Ths Spurs always have greater poise than the Suns. Amare is a showboating baby. His push-up stunt before his FTs hurt his team.

Suns are also one of the youngest teams in the league. The Spurs should have more poise than the Suns at this point.

If I were a 22 year old kid dropping 40 on the best defensive team in the league I might get a little cocky too. But I don't expect opposing fans to cut him any slack.

I said then I thought the push-up were a dumb stunt. They way Nash went over and picked him up I imagine (and hope) Nash told him the same thing.

bonesinaz
04-18-2005, 11:28 PM
The fact is Amare hasn't changed since that game.

The suns will not win the WCF.

exstatic
04-18-2005, 11:39 PM
The Suns problem isn't defense, but defensive rebounding.

Then their problem is defense. Part of getting the "stop" is obtaining possession. It doesn't matter if it takes four shots to score, you didn't get a stop because they did.

cqsallie
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Honest question... Not meant in any way other than an honest question:
What was the Spurs-Grizzlies game tonight really all about?
Was there a method to Pop's madness in giving TPark the night off? Why did the Spurs play so poorly and allow the Griz to lead throughout?
I just don't understand the politics involved. It occurred to me that the Spurs could have turned in on at any moment and just raced into a good lead and held it, but this never happened.
Can anyone just tell me if this was because the Grizzlies were really the superior team tonight, or was this some sort of plan on the part of the Spurs' coaching staff? If it was a plan, what was it and what did it succeed in accomplishing.
I'm serious, here. At the risk of sounding like a really stupid person, was the loss intentional, or was it supposed to be a really close game with the Spurs catching fire and burying the Grizzlies in the 4th? Or, did the Spurs figure they couldn't hope to win the "pennant" and just played because they had to. With the exception of Robinson, and the occasional flash from Ginobilli, it didn't really look like a whole-hearted effort.
Please, your comments...

pooh
04-18-2005, 11:46 PM
I don't think the Nuggets tanked tonight, they just went up against a better team tonight in the Suns. They'll be ready for the Spurs, I think it will go the full seven games. The Spurs "should" win the series.

boutons
04-18-2005, 11:57 PM
"the Grizzlies were really the superior team tonight"

NQAI. The Grizz were down in crunch time, then hit their shots, came back, called timeouts, ran two great plays for Mike, win the game. That was their objective, I don't have a clue WTF the Spurs objective was.

Spurs missed their crunch shots, needing 1 pt to win and having the ball, the Spurs fucked up their possession, shot a 3G, not a layup, too early by a guy who was stone cold all night, then got snookered by Mike on great play run for Mike, executed to perfection.

Spurs' players got outplayed, Spurs' coach got outcoached.

Resting Tony didn't say Pop wanted to tank the game. Pop was very cool all night, like he didn't care one way or the other.

Then in crunch time, when the meaningless game was surprisingly within reach, he put Manu and Tim back in, and then only really tried to win it. But Manu fucked up and drove too soon, Pop fucked up having stone-cold Robert as left-handed Manu's primary pitch-out target on the left wing.

Dumb basketball, bad execution, bad coaching, good for nobody's confidence, killed the momentum of 2 W's, a test failed, "tuned up' absolutely fucking nothing, yet another road loss to a playoff team.

But who cares? the season doesn't mean shit anyway. home record? road record? totally meaningless, only the playoffs count. :)

pooh
04-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Well the Spurs have one the title twice, each time going in with the best overall record. This year they don't have it. Now it will be interesting to see if the Spurs will be this years version of the Detroit Pistons. Let the playoffs begin.

CaptainLate
04-19-2005, 12:25 AM
The Suns problem isn't defense, but defensive rebounding. They allow the most offesive rebounds per game of any team in the League....Nothing wrong with playing to your strengths.

Which plays to Nazi's strength...who'll be the starting center replacing Rasho.
During the season it is hard to prepare for different teams every other game. But in the playoffs, it's all about half-court defense, matchups, and the ability to focus on one opponent and making adjustments. Spurs can do it; Suns will fold. I don't even think Suns get past Round 2 opponent. If they do, they'll be exhausted. Getting the #2 seed was the best thing for the Spurs. If they stay healthy, it's all over but the cork poppin'.

Mr. Body
04-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Which plays to Nazi's strength

Will somebody spell this guy's name right? Jesus Christ.

JMarkJohns
04-19-2005, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I wouldn'r be bragging about a Nazi game :rolleyes !!!

T Park
04-19-2005, 04:40 AM
Dumb basketball, bad execution, bad coaching, good for nobody's confidence, killed the momentum of 2 W's, a test failed, "tuned up' absolutely fucking nothing, yet another road loss to a playoff team

bad coaching???

What did Pop fuck up.

He didnt have an out of shape Glenn Robinson at the end, ok granted.

Thats it??

So if Robinson misses that shot, then its just good coaching??

Dumbfucks.

LakerGod
04-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Your days are counted!

Denver is tanking on purpose, they want to play the spurs to knock them out and advance...

boutons
04-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Between stone-cold "I really don't like to shoot with no time left" Robert with 1-9, and Glenn with 9-11, who would have been the better pitchout target on the left wing for left-handed Manu? dumbfuck.