PDA

View Full Version : Who can the Spurs get by the deadline?

Mr.Robinson
11-07-2009, 04:54 AM
A player to help Tim defend the paint and get a fucking rebound is what is missing. Can we trade anyone away that would land us a legit 7 footer?

ezau
11-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Don't we have Mahimi and on occasionally, Ratliff for that fucking job? The personnel isn't the problem, it's POP's stupidity that is killing this team. Matt Bonner seriously at starting center? That was soooo 2009 POP.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Too early to tell..there are some guys I wouldn't mind, I don't know how realistic they are..some of them would require giving up future picks, cash, and/or Ian in the deal with our expiring contracts..

I wouldn't mind Chandler for us(despite the injury concerns), Biedrins(although he's overrated), Kaman(bouncing back, but overrated), and Okafor(I don't know how soon he can be traded..I usually wouldn't think a division rival would trade, but NO might not care about winning more than saving $)..

I don't think any of those options are realistic at all though, just throwing out some bad contracts of players that would help..that would require heavy luxury tax, especially if Splitter is expected to join the team with a MLE-type offer..

ezau
11-07-2009, 05:24 AM
I agree, if some guys are available why not? However, I think we did enough retooling that we need last offseason to address our issues from 2008-2009. We've got guys who have been spending too much time on the bench and in fact some of them haven't seen any minutes yet. We've gotta use these guys before looking at the trade deadline

AussieFanKurt
11-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Its early days yet. shut up and watch the season as it plays out. its been 5 games. who the fuck cares

Johnny RIngo
11-07-2009, 06:00 AM
I agree, if some guys are available why not? However, I think we did enough retooling that we need last offseason to address our issues from 2008-2009. We've got guys who have been spending too much time on the bench and in fact some of them haven't seen any minutes yet. We've gotta use these guys before looking at the trade deadline

Bonner, Finley, and Mason are all expiring contracts. None of those three have much of an effect on our team so making a trade to bring in a useful player would be in the Spurs best interest.

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 06:06 AM
And somebody new would learn the system faster than the people already on the team?

Give some of these players time to adjust. I remember when Horry first came to the Spurs...most thought him to be a bust because at first he looked as though he should have retired instead of continued to play the game.

Looked at what happened when giving him the time to learn the system.

Johnny RIngo
11-07-2009, 06:13 AM
And somebody new would learn the system faster than the people already on the team?

Give some of these players time to adjust. I remember when Horry first came to the Spurs...most thought him to be a bust because at first he looked as though he should have retired instead of continued to play the game.

Looked at what happened when giving him the time to learn the system.

Bonner and Finley have been here for years. No amount of "learning the system" is going to make them effective players. Their presence on the court makes the Spurs a one-dimensional team that can be picked apart by any playoff-calibre team.

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Bonner and Finley have been here for years. No amount of "learning the system" is going to make them effective players. Their presence on the court makes the Spurs a one-dimensional team that can be picked apart by any playoff-calibre team.

I was talking about McDyess, Blair, Ratliff, Jefferson, Bogans...you know...the new guys.

baseline bum
11-07-2009, 06:40 AM
A player to help Tim defend the paint and get a fucking rebound is what is missing. Can we trade anyone away that would land us a legit 7 footer?

If Tim Duncan doesn't round into his usual late season / playoff form, there is nothing short of trading for LeBron that the Spurs can do to win a title. As long as Tim's reasonably healthy though (as in, not last season and not 2000), I still like our chances with the team we have right now. It may look like crap right now, but there's a lot of versatile talent on this team that should make it very fucking nasty by the time April rolls around and they have had time to gel.

Johnny RIngo
11-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I was talking about McDyess, Blair, Ratliff, Jefferson, Bogans...you know...the new guys.

Fair enough. I have no problem with most of those players.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2009, 09:27 AM
pop still living off last season :(

SA210
11-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Don't we have Mahimi and on occasionally, Ratliff for that fucking job? The personnel isn't the problem, it's POP's stupidity that is killing this team. Matt Bonner seriously at starting center? That was soooo 2009 POP.

Exactly, and we need to bring Bruce back!

Sigz
11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
We aren't going anywhere with Matt Bonner as our starting center.

It's just so pathetic to even mention Bonner and starting center in the same sentence.

Texas_Ranger
11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I just hope well get rid of Bonner and Finley till next month.

Dunc n Dave
11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Manu and Bonner for Sjax and Biedrins? Would YOU do it? It works in the trade machine and Nelson has asked for Manu and hasn't played Biedrins much, choosing to go with Randolph and Turiaf more often. And Nelson would love to use Bonner at the 5.

I know the Manu die hards would be up in arms if this trade happened, but Manu has been awful shooting the ball lately. I'm starting to doubt he'll ever get back to the Manu of 07-08.

exstatic
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Manu and Bonner for Sjax and Biedrins? Would YOU do it? It works in the trade machine and Nelson has asked for Manu and hasn't played Biedrins much, choosing to go with Randolph and Turiaf more often. And Nelson would love to use Bonner at the 5.

I know the Manu die hards would be up in arms if this trade happened, but Manu has been awful shooting the ball lately. I'm starting to doubt he'll ever get back to the Manu of 07-08.

Manu will be Manu again. You realize that he put down a basketball for 6 months for probably the first time since he started playing as a little boy, don't you? It takes time to shake off that rust. While I like SJax, he's really only a 4th quarter player, and Manu is that AND effective in quarters 1-3. Beidrins is just a flat stiff.

Morg1411
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Biedrins is okay. I'd prefer Brook Lopez. There's no way in hell Jersey is giving him up, but he's the only big man I'd really be interested in acquiring at this point.

Mr.Robinson
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Its early days yet. shut up and watch the season as it plays out. its been 5 games. who the fuck cares

Really? In these 5 games do you think our inside D and rebounding will improve? Manu will get better as the season goes along. Parker will start playing like the Parker of old. Hill is improving. Jefferson's chemistry will continue to grow. Yes, the team will get better but Tim is still not going to get help inside. We need to start playing some of the length on our bench or trade for a vet since Pops has a hard on for them.

AFBlue
11-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not advocating a trade, because I think the right players are on this roster. But, IF the Spurs were to trade, I see Marcus Camby as the most logical fit....rebounding, shot-blocking and occassional offense.

Again, not saying the Spurs should pursue a trade (way too early), but if they do...this would be the guy.

ElNono
11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not advocating a trade, because I think the right players are on this roster. But, IF the Spurs were to trade, I see Marcus Camby as the most logical fit....rebounding, shot-blocking and occassional offense.

Again, not saying the Spurs should pursue a trade (way too early), but if they do...this would be the guy.

+1

Was just thinking about that. Definitely that style of player. A vet, with good rebounding and shot blocking skills. The problem is that you can pull out a Gooden like last season if you trade too late. It takes time to learn the system, rotations, etc.

cherylsteele
11-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Really? In these 5 games do you think our inside D and rebounding will improve? Manu will get better as the season goes along. Parker will start playing like the Parker of old. Hill is improving. Jefferson's chemistry will continue to grow. Yes, the team will get better but Tim is still not going to get help inside. We need to start playing some of the length on our bench or trade for a vet since Pops has a hard on for them.
A short answer...yes we will improve...we have already.
The defensive FG% is much better at times than the last couple of years (last night it was 43.2%). It was the offense that killed the Spurs last night, they could hit nothing at all, and they did have the open looks. A few of our core players only played a quarter. They got outrebounded particularly on the defensive stats because they missed alot more shots.

Pop is experimenting with the lineup and seeing how certain players will contribute later in the season, he does it all the time.

Alot of you must be new Spurs fans, or trolls, you have never heard of S.P.A.M.?

biziofromdowntown
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Tyson Chandler looks good after the surgeny...i ever like Chandler D...

all_heart
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmm... Camby for Bonner and any 2 of the following: Finley, Mason, Ian, Haislip, and Bogans.

Bonner is a MUST to trade, if he's around he's going to get PT, hell even keep starting. This would bring Hairston into the rotation, I like this guy. If he starts getting the playing time now, I think he'd be a nice contributor by April.

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
We aren't going anywhere with Matt Bonner as our starting center.

It's just so pathetic to even mention Bonner and starting center in the same sentence.

This "Bonner experiment" is so failed that it's now become almost laughable that Pop stubbornly insists on using it.

I'd rather he throw Ian in there for 20 mins and let him learn on the job, rather than watch another minute of Bonner going up against starting-caliber, frontline players. As far as Bonner spreading the floor, he jury is closed on that strategy. Teams are now rushing Bonner at the 3-pt line and forcing him to put the ball on the floor. He's not getting the open looks he got a year ago. So Pop's "spread-the-floor" strategy, at the expense of solid post play and defense, is again a failed strategy. Bonner aint Robert Horry.

Pop has finally made a change by taking Finley out of the starting lineup. He now needs to do the same with his red-headed boy.

TJastal
11-07-2009, 02:01 PM
This "Bonner experiment" is so failed that it's now become almost laughable that Pop stubbornly insists on using it.

I'd rather he throw Ian in there for 20 mins and let him learn on the job, rather than watch another minute of Bonner going up against starting-caliber, frontline players. As far as Bonner spreading the floor, he jury is closed on that strategy. Teams are now rushing Bonner at the 3-pt line and forcing him to put the ball on the floor. He's not getting the open looks he got a year ago. So Pop's "spread-the-floor" strategy, at the expense of solid post play and defense, is again a failed strategy. Bonner aint Robert Horry.

Pop has finally made a change by taking Finley out of the starting lineup. He now needs to do the same with his red-headed boy.

+1

And as we saw in the blazers' game McDyess is money with that jumper almost out to the 3pt line and its much harder to block or disrupt than Bonner's sidearm set-shots.

CGD
11-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Lets have this conversation in January, when we folks aren't overly emotional.

Realistically, if we make a move at the deadline it's be a package including one of our SG (Mase or Fin) + Ian + picks. This amount to about 4-5M in assets.

jag
11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Exactly, and we need to bring Bruce back!

lol who is this joker?

freemeat
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
If Tim Duncan doesn't round into his usual late season / playoff form, there is nothing short of trading for LeBron that the Spurs can do to win a title. As long as Tim's reasonably healthy though (as in, not last season and not 2000), I still like our chances with the team we have right now. It may look like crap right now, but there's a lot of versatile talent on this team that should make it very fucking nasty by the time April rolls around and they have had time to gel.

:tu

nailed it.

spursfan1000
11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalemburt would be 2 good options...

SA210
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
lol who is this joker?

We're gonna regret it. Mark my words.

Mr.Robinson
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalemburt would be 2 good options...

Camby would be perfect. Can rebound and block shots. He also has an all right shot.

urunobili
11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Camby or bust

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Short of getting a big center, I'd love welcome back SJax in a hearbeat. Love his shooting and his clutch mentality. There just isn't enough of either on this team.

rascal
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Manu for Camby. I called for this last year. Its tough to find a starting quality center without trading some value.

Hill gets more minutes at the 2 and Bonner goes to the bench for good. The spus won't get past the Lakers with all their size without some quality players in the frontcourt.

benefactor
11-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Manu for Camby. I called for this last year. Its tough to find a starting quality center without trading some value.

Hill gets more minutes at the 2 and Bonner goes to the bench for good. The spus won't get past the Lakers with all their size without some quality players in the frontcourt.
This means double minutes for Finley. That will cancel out anything good that Camby does.

As far as the OP goes...it's Jack or Foster for me. I'd rather have jack, but either one fill a big need.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Foster's injury concerns don't concern you, benefactor?..

peskypesky
11-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Camby or bust

I didn't think we needed Camby before this past week. Now I am just about convinced that if we don't get him, we have no chance.

DAF86
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM

I would love to have Biedrinis and if like you say he is not playing much, Golden State may consider trading him for expiring contracts.

Biedrinis for Bonner, Mason and Ian works.

I would do it, even though he has a bad contract.

Spursfan 87
11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
We can get D.Howard, Camby, Okafor, but if Pop continues to play small ball the result are going to be the same.

UnWantedTheory
11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
If we still suck in 25 games, I'll think about this.

TD 21
11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Too early to tell..there are some guys I wouldn't mind, I don't know how realistic they are..some of them would require giving up future picks, cash, and/or Ian in the deal with our expiring contracts..

I wouldn't mind Chandler for us(despite the injury concerns), Biedrins(although he's overrated), Kaman(bouncing back, but overrated), and Okafor(I don't know how soon he can be traded..I usually wouldn't think a division rival would trade, but NO might not care about winning more than saving $)..

I don't think any of those options are realistic at all though, just throwing out some bad contracts of players that would help..that would require heavy luxury tax, especially if Splitter is expected to join the team with a MLE-type offer..

I've already thought about this and the only player who makes sense financially and would fill the glaring needs on this team is Camby. Expiring contract, ranging 6'11'' shot blocker/rebounder extraordinaire and a decent mid-range shooter. Perfect compliment for Duncan.

Let's just hope the Clippers underachieve and are out of the playoffs by the deadline (even last season, they were rumored shopping him) and are willing to take some of the Spurs cadre of expiring contracts + Mahinmi + a 1st round pick. If a third team is needed to make the money work and facilitate the deal, then a team like the Grizzlies can be pulled in.

Camby would be an ideal bridge to Splitter's presumed 2010 arrival. As for the 1st round pick, Splitter would join Blair and Hill as three young players amongst the teams top 8-9, plus there's still the possibility that Hairston turns out, so youth-wise the Spurs would still have a solid amount next season.

This team can't afford to waste another year of Duncan's career. They have given every indication that they're going for it. This is the final move that gives them a legitimate shot at a championship this season. Without it, there's not enough reliable size on the front line, most likely.

benefactor
11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Foster's injury concerns don't concern you, benefactor?..
I think it's a bit overblown by some people. He's had a few nagging things...but he has still been relatively durable. He only missed 8 games last year and 5 the season before.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM

No, really, it's not. Dice is that guy (10/10 last year, and a much better defender than we've seen so far), but he has to start and play 30mins a game and get comfortable with the system.

Höfner
11-07-2009, 08:45 PM
McDyess continues stepping his game up, we won't need another player with the exact same skillset. Dyess is the 6 million dollar man, after all

The Parker injury could be a blessing in disguise if it helps RJ and Dyess get in a rhythm.

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I would love to have Biedrinis and if like you say he is not playing much, Golden State may consider trading him for expiring contracts.

Biedrinis for Bonner, Mason and Ian works.

I would do it, even though he has a bad contract.
Bad contract? You don't find a productive center with that nice contract everyday. Golden State thinks Biedrins is untouchable.

If Chris Bosh wanted out, seriously, fat hope.

Austin_Toros
11-07-2009, 10:33 PM
A good big man who is a true center would help the spurs a long way, i think. i think theres some potential trade targets out there

spurtech09
11-07-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah idk whats the deal with bonner starting.....pop needs to go back to his old days starting 2 big men.....duncan and Ian would be just fine

Dunc n Dave
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Bad contract? You don't find a productive center with that nice contract everyday. Golden State thinks Biedrins is untouchable.

Biedrins has only played 3 games thus far (currently out w/ back injury)) but has averaged only 23 minutes in those 3 games. 2 of the games he was limited by foul trouble, but vs. Phoenix he only played 20 minutes and had only four fouls.

Nelson has been giving a lot of his time to guys like Anthony Randolph and Ronny Turiaf. Plus Biedrins has only blocked 2 shots in 3 games and grabbed 7 boards (in limited minutes, of course), causing Nelson to sour on him.

I think he is no longer "untouchable" in Nelson's eyes.

DPG21920
11-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Randolph has been getting virtually 0 playing time.

exstatic
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM

5 yrs/45M is an AWFUL contract for someone with no offensive game other than the lob, which teams will NOT allow you to do in the playoffs. They'll just foul him and laugh as he shoots them.