PDA

View Full Version : Honda or Toyota?

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I may be in the market for used vehicle and I've narrowed my search down to a Toyota Tundra or a Honda Pilot or Honda Ridgeline. I like the Pilot because it has the 3rd seat that also folds down. It's somewhat comparable to the Mountaineer I have now. But I've been wanting a truck for a long time. Every once in a while I run into situations when I need a truck and no one I know has a truck. So I end up at the damn u haul. The tundra offers that SUV feel but with the capability to haul stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or any experience with the vehicles I've mentioned? In case it matters to anyone for the sake of helping me out, my budget is no more than $23000. So I've seen that at that price range I can end up with a few certified used with under 35000 miles.

Rob

Drachen
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Do you need an SUV daily? The reason I ask is that you could save a shit-ton of money buying a car, then renting a uhaul, or those pickups from home depot during those (in your words) every once in a while situations that you need a truck. I suspect that you don't need an SUV since you are also looking at pickups.

No judging, just trying to help you see the fiscal sense of going a different route.

The Franchise
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
You can't go wrong with either, but I would choose Honda.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Working around light and heavy duty trucks all day I can say first hand that I like the Tundras. Its a good vehicle to tow and haul with. Gas mileage is decent too. I haven't looked too closely in the last 6 or so months but I think you could find one with less than 35k miles on it for somewhere under 21k possibly under 20k or 19k if you stretch the mileage to say 45k.

The Ridgeline is a piece of shit. I've had a ton of customers pull pop ups and all I ever hear from them is how little shit is always falling apart. Knobs, trim, button...

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Are you serious? Sitting around all day and hoping for the dream car isn't going to get it done. You need to get up off your ass and pound the pavement. Start going out and test driving trucks and SUV's and do some research. You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.
I am tired of lazy people like you coming on here and complaining about not having their dream vehicle instead of going out and putting yourself out there. I mean go get a focus in the mean time and once the vehicle you want is available then dump the focus and go get that one!

lol

Drachen
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Are you serious? Sitting around all day and hoping for the dream car isn't going to get it done. You need to get up off your ass and pound the pavement. Start going out and test driving trucks and SUV's and do some research. You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.
I am tired of lazy people like you coming on here and complaining about not having their dream vehicle instead of going out and putting yourself out there. I mean go get a focus in the mean time and once the vehicle you want is available then dump the focus and go get that one!

lol

Dude, where did this come from. Inside joke or something?

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but daddy is lending me his bmw in the mean time. Soooo, I get to sit at my desk and research all the social sites for cars. You know refining and modifying searches on auto trader is a full time job in it self.

Rob

lol

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Dude, where did this come from. Inside joke or something?

I was making fun of the Ashbeeigh thread.

he got it.

balli
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't know about those specific models, but I come from a Toyota driving family. Toyota's are what we drive, always have, always will.

I suggest you do the same.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Do you need an SUV daily? The reason I ask is that you could save a shit-ton of money buying a car, then renting a uhaul, or those pickups from home depot during those (in your words) every once in a while situations that you need a truck. I suspect that you don't need an SUV since you are also looking at pickups.

No judging, just trying to help you see the fiscal sense of going a different route.

Well in all honesty, no. I don't have an immediate need for an SUV. A typical week driving my SUV is going to work then to lunch then home. Nothing major. On the weekend I may drive to Sams club or maybe to the mall. I take about 2 trips a year to either Corpus or the guadalupe with the fam. It's just a matter of preference. I have a wife and 2 small kids so it's not like we cant fit in a car comfortably. I've just always had a truck or suv for the past 10-12 years.

I get your point about buying a car and then just renting a truck or uhual when needed. But that's what I would like to avoid. There have been times when me and the wife spontaneously buy shit, like furniture or whatever. So it would be nice to have the ability to just haul it my self right then and there.

Rob

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
At least with the Tundra you're driving a respectable truck. At some point you may grow some balls and decide to put a nice little lift on it and some aftermarket goodies....at the very least you can dream about it when wifey tells you no way.

The Ridgeline just locks you into a vagina mobile for what will seem like an eternity.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Working around light and heavy duty trucks all day I can say first hand that I like the Tundras. Its a good vehicle to tow and haul with. Gas mileage is decent too. I haven't looked too closely in the last 6 or so months but I think you could find one with less than 35k miles on it for somewhere under 21k possibly under 20k or 19k if you stretch the mileage to say 45k.

The Ridgeline is a piece of shit. I've had a ton of customers pull pop ups and all I ever hear from them is how little shit is always falling apart. Knobs, trim, button...

Thanks for the heads up on the ridgeline. There not the norm out there and if they are problem vehicles then I will take that off my list. I just figured a Honda is a Honda.

So far it looks like Toyota is the popular choice.

Rob

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
The Ridgeline just locks you into a vagina mobile for what will seem like an eternity.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM vagina

Drachen
12-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Cool, no problem. I understand. I would love to have a Dodge Dakota (favorite vehicle of all that I have owned), but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy another one considering the amount I would have to spend on it vs. a car in both pricetag and gas. Especially since the bed would remain empty except for maybe 4-6 times a year.

But I really do WANT one. lol.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Frankly, I think a pick up made by a Japanese company is a sin, but that's me.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Dude, I'm so done with Ford. I've said it before and still get suckered by the price tag. This time I mean it. I will not buy a ford no matter how fucking cheap. It's time to try another brand.

Rob

Strike
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
But, but, but, Ford is the best selling truck of all time!

Funny. I've known plenty of people who've had Ford trucks at one time or another and only 1 out of 10 people have positive things to say about them.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Why don't you just enjoy life and throw caution to the wind and get a nice late 50's Bel Air. Parts are dirt cheap and you could easily find a restored one (non-numbers matching) for under 23k. There's your family car.

tlongII
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I like the Tundra personally, but with a wife and 2 kids I would probably opt for the Pilot. My friend has one of those and it's a nice rig.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Dude, I'm so done with Ford. I've said it before and still get suckered by the price tag. This time I mean it. I will not buy a ford no matter how fucking cheap. It's time to try another brand.

Rob
Hmmm. What year was it. I bought a '97 when they came out and I was thoroughly impressed with it. That thing was a tank and was always reliable. I had no major work done to it. It was manual transmission. Had I not been in a drug daze I wouldn't have needed to put another engine in it. I didn't change the oil for quite a while. I think the engine had about 175000 miles on it at the time. Other than that, I didn't even change a hose in that truck. I wouldn't hesitate buying another f150. Ever.

Winehole23
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Take the cross stroke off the F and the crown off the O. What's that spell?

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I like the Tundra personally, but with a wife and 2 kids I would probably opt for the Pilot. My friend has one of those and it's a nice rig.

You know what, it's probably coming down to these 2. I'm gonna hit the pavement and continue my search... lol

Rob

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Just to be perfectly clear the Pilot has just as large of a vagina as the Ridgeline.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. What year was it. I bought a '97 when they came out and I was thoroughly impressed with it. That thing was a tank and was always reliable. I had no major work done to it. It was manual transmission. Had I not been in a drug daze I wouldn't have needed to put another engine in it. I didn't change the oil for quite a while. I think the engine had about 175000 miles on it at the time. Other than that, I didn't even change a hose in that truck. I wouldn't hesitate buying another f150. Ever.

See now you got me there. I once had a 95 f150 extended cab manual transmission with dual tanks. That was a beast! It was one of my favorite vehicles ever. I never had trouble with it. But what did I do??? I traded it in for a new ford explorer. Fucking piece of shit! But then Ive owned Mazda's and Mercury's and haven't fared any better.

Rob

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Go with a Tundra. I bought a Tundra 4x4 a few months back and couldnt be happier with it. Im working on after market goodies like B2B said so hopefully this time next year ill be done with everything.

tlongII
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Just to be perfectly clear the Pilot has just as large of a vagina as the Ridgeline.

Dude, the Pilot is a good family car. You don't want to be packing a family of 4 into a Tundra for a long vacation trip.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Dude, the Pilot is a good family car. You don't want to be packing a family of 4 into a Tundra for a long vacation trip.

Im not sure about that the Tundra is really roomy, even more so if you have a quad cab.

Sportcamper
12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Have you ever reviewed Trucks on...http://www.pickuptrucks.com

Interesting how nobody has mentioned the body rust problems on Toyota pick ups….Thousands of recalls…

In any case a brand new Ford F-150 STX is a basic pick up in your price range…Ford also has huge rebates for taking delivery of in stock ext cab & crew cab pick ups….

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Dude, the Pilot is a good family car. You don't want to be packing a family of 4 into a Tundra for a long vacation trip.This isn't 1994. There is a ton of room in the back of the Tundra for kids. Its more than ample even for adults.

Not to even mention the fact that any man with any amount of balls would rather cram his kids and their baggage in the back of a Tundra once every 2-3 years than drive a pussywagon every single day for the next 5 or 6.

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations? Or any experience with the vehicles I've mentioned?

Yes.

Buy the one made in the USA because America needs the support of her citizens. Otherwise, why don't you just move to Japan.

If the VIN starts with the number "1", then it was built in the USA and you are supporting American families. At least more than if it were built elsewhere.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Have you ever reviewed Trucks on...http://www.pickuptrucks.com

Interesting how nobody has mentioned the body rust problems on Toyota pick ups….Thousands of recalls…

In any case a brand new Ford F-150 STX is a basic pick up in your price range…Ford also has huge rebates for taking delivery of in stock ext cab & crew cab pick ups….

That was a problem in the Gen 1 Tundra's. They have addressed that already.

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes.

Buy the one made in the USA because America needs the support of her citizens. Otherwise, why don't you just move to Japan.

If the VIN starts with the number "1", then it was built in the USA and you are supporting American families. At least more than if it were built elsewhere.

So are you aware that most of the Tundra's are made in San Antonio with American parts?

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
So are you aware that most of the Tundra's are made in San Antonio with American parts?

Then that would be a good choice if the field is narrowed down between the two.

Do you agree?

ATRAIN
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Then that would be a good choice if the field is narrowed down between the two.

Do you agree?

haha I suppose I dont know where the Honda's are made.

Sportcamper
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
That was a problem in the Gen 1 Tundra's. They have addressed that already.

Well not really…Toyota is in denial on their many quality control & safety issues…The Tundra has ongoing rust problems, the Tundra 5.7 liter engine has durability problems…Other Toyota cars have unintended acceleration problems…

The New F-150 is one of the most refined vehicles you can purchase…

Wild Cobra
12-30-2009, 01:12 PM
haha I suppose I dont know where the Honda's are made.
I know some are made in the USA. I don't keep up with which models. Often people think they are buying USA built, but are wrong. If the VIN does not start with a "1", "4", or "5" (4 & 5 new), then it's made elsewhere. "2" is Canada, "3" is Mexico, "J" is Japan,

Still, we have several models that are not made here.

Now...

If someone is a union supporter, I expect them to buy GM, Ford, or Chrysler, else be a hypocrite.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Are you purposely trying to shit on the Tundras? What would make me choose a F150 over a Tundra?

Rob

benefactor
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a friend that I work with that has been a Chevy guy all his life but broke down and bought a Tundra a couple of years ago after he heard so many good things about it. He admits now that he would feel guilty going back to the Chevy.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Fords are fine. Overpriced but I don't question their quality. I have more happy Tundra customers though.

You can forget Chevy and Dodge. Both are pieces of crap.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
During lunch i stopped by the Benson Honda ship right there on San Pedro. I have to admit that that the Ridgeline look is very appealing. But I didn't look at it inside or anything. I did however look at 2 different models of the Pilot. One base model and one with nice options. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with either one. It just felt compressed inside. Not to mention a little cheap. For example the doors are very thin and the interior felt flimsy. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know. It's just the initial impression I got. The Tundra is looking way more my style. Not to mention the consensus is that they are worth it. I may go shopping tonight for a Tundra quad cab.

Rob

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Take the cross stroke off the F and the crown off the O. What's that spell?
fail?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
You can forget Chevy and Dodge. Both are pieces of crap.you know it's funny 'cause that's all i see abandoned on the sides of the roads.

z0sa
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I've been paying on a v-6 2002 Tundra for 3 years and over 40k miles (bought it with 60k, I drove shitloads for my job and still have a 25 mile commute to and from work everyday) and I still haven't had a single problem - obviously kept up with the maintenance and it's mostly highway mileage but yeah (she gets 22+ MPG on a good day). Tires were the most expensive thing I've bought for it. My dad has a 2005 Tacoma that he bought brand new and it's the same thing..Toyota is definitely my brand of choice, at least concerning reliability.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't know. I want to get a GMC Sierra but I like the Titan as well. I want a big ol' truck. I just don't think I like the Tundras or especially any Honda.

Steal

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't know. I want to get a GMC Sierra but I like the Titan as well. I want a big ol' truck. I just don't think I like the Tundras or especially any Honda.

StealChevy/GMC is awful. If you must the diesels with the Allison transmissions are the only ones worth indulging in.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Chevy/GMC is awful. If you must the diesels with the Allison transmissions are the only ones worth indulging in.

The Sierra Denali is awesome though. I like the Titan but it doesn't look as cool.

Steal

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
does the honda come with vtec

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
The Sierra Denali is awesome though. I like the Titan but it doesn't look as cool.

StealIf I'm going to spend Denali money I'm getting a classic cruiser that would be any Denali to shame.

RGMCSE
12-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Steal

Are you talking about this? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=272210763&photoIndex=0&isStock=false

If so, those are fucking nice! But will cost a chunk of change.

Rob

EmptyMan
12-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Chevy/GMC is awful. If you must the diesels with the Allison transmissions are the only ones worth indulging in.

What are you basing this on?

My dad has 3 trucks (02,03,09), mom has a tahoe (03), sister has a tahoe (05), I have a truck (02) with 102k miles and all 6 trucks/suvs have been flawless.

Sure if you put 35"s on the trucks/suvs with this weak IFS (especially without re-gearing) the transmissions will go but that is not GM's problem.

GM Trucks/Suvs are solid. They are also reasonably priced & have good gas mileage. I will not be buying any new GMs for the rest of my life because of this weak government partnership now but I will certainly be buying an 03-06 GM truck for my next vehicle and rebuilding it from the frame up if need be.

BTW, some lame ass Fabtech lift is not having balls. If you really want to man-up, go 37"+ and do a SAS or at minimum a higher level suspension lift that will not wreck your angles and cause massive long-term headache.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 05:27 PM
What are you basing this on?

My dad has 3 trucks (02,03,09), mom has a tahoe (03), sister has a tahoe (05), I have a truck (02) with 102k miles and all 6 trucks/suvs have been flawless.

Sure if you put 35"s on the trucks/suvs with this weak IFS (especially without re-gearing) the transmissions will go but that is not GM's problem.

GM Trucks/Suvs are solid. They are also reasonably priced & have good gas mileage. I will not be buying any new GMs for the rest of my life because of this weak government partnership now but I will certainly be buying an 03-06 GM truck for my next vehicle and rebuilding it from the frame up if need be.

BTW, some lame ass Fabtech lift is not having balls. If you really want to man-up, go 37"+ and do a SAS.

I'm basing my opinion on the last 6 or 7 years of listening to annoying customers either praise their vehicles or bitch and moan about them. People inherently love to talk themselves up. You know....everyone's the smartest motherfucker out there. Everyone got the best deal possible...or the deal of a lifetime. Or better fucking yet some old man owned it and his wife died so he let it go for next to nothing. Steal of the fucking century :vomitrolleyes:. So I know when I hear the same know it all assholes tell me about their bad experiences I usually take it to heart because its tough for so many smart intelligent perfect people to admit when they've invested in a pile of shit.

Its also a good gauge of quality because the majority of my customers put their trucks on the road frequently. Some full time others take regular road trips so you get a good indication of what can last and what can't.

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I also listen to our tech's who are in and out of these vehicles daily.

...and all our drivers who haul trailers cross country for a living. Those know what lasts and what doesn't.

None of them would ever think about pulling with a Chevy.

Venti Quattro
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda, just because it's more fuel efficient.

I. Hustle
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Are you talking about this? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=272210763&photoIndex=0&isStock=false

If so, those are fucking nice! But will cost a chunk of change.

Rob

No the Sierra Denali.

This.

http://www.speedwheels.com/imagesc/gmc-sierra-denali-2008_10470.jpg

Steal

BacktoBasics
12-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Honda, just because it's more fuel efficient.

I doubt the Honda is that much more fuel efficient than the Tundra. Obviously many factors here but...One thing that I found particularly interesting is how much the Chevy and Fords dropped in fuel mileage while in tow compared to the Tundra. The majority of my customers complained about the inflated advertised fuel mileage on the Chevy's too begin with. Seems as though they advertise up around 20mpg when my customers are telling me its more like 15 and 8 or 9 in tow. Where I'm hearing the Tundra crowd claim 19-22mpg and 16-17 in tow.

What's the Honda rated at? 23? 24? 25? With 5 people and a load of luggage how's it going to react? I know how the Tundra will.

Plus you won't look like a pansy ass bitch driving a fucking gay ass grocery getter.

CosmicCowboy
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM

I dunno about that. I've got 160K on my 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0 and have had zero issues except for starter/alternator once and A/C compressor @ about 150K. Haven't even had to do a brake job yet (ceramic pads). I like it.

I admit gas mileage sucks. I chipped it to about 380hp and it gets about 15 if I keep my foot out of it. It goes to 10 real quick if I start rompin and stompin it.

lil_penny
12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm a honda person myself.. but that's all I've ever owned lol.. for a truck though I love the new tundras. If I didn't buy a new duramax it would of been a new tundra.. white tundra on 20 inch volks :)

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
I dunno about that. I've got 160K on my 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0 and have had zero issues except for starter/alternator once and A/C compressor @ about 150K. Haven't even had to do a brake job yet (ceramic pads). I like it.

I admit gas mileage sucks. I chipped it to about 380hp and it gets about 15 if I keep my foot out of it. It goes to 10 real quick if I start rompin and stompin it.
160k is pretty good. Seems like almost all over my customers go through at least some type of massive repair around the 110k mark. I hear a lot about rebuilt transmissions and its almost always hovering around the 100k line.

CosmicCowboy
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
160k is pretty good. Seems like almost all over my customers go through at least some type of massive repair around the 110k mark. I hear a lot about rebuilt transmissions and its almost always hovering around the 100k line.

I change trans fluid and filter every 25-30K. It's a solid trans, you just have to take care of it.

BacktoBasics
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I change trans fluid and filter every 25-30K. It's a solid trans, you just have to take care of it.
No doubt something as simple as changing the fluid typically goes overlooked. I'd suspect the larger majority of auto owners never change their transmission fluid.

4down
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
International