PDA

View Full Version : Chili---beans or no beans?

samikeyp
01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok...had a Chili-Cookoff today at work...now mind you, I work in Michigan so I didn't expect a whole lot and we were talking at lunch and someone asked if any of the chili's didn't have beans and I thought it would be a good conversation her.

So I pose the question to you and all you cooks out there....

Beans in chili....yes or no?

JMarkJohns
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
No beans. Meat and peppers...

Sancha
01-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Beans papi. Kidney

The Gemini Method
01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Sancha knows how to spin it with her "papi" talk...

The best chili I've had--and this is not always true out here in Cali--was from Barney's Beanery and although the name does scream bean central, the chili was with only meat and no beans. So, I'll say that its best w/o the legumes...

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I like my chili with beans. We had a chili cook off here at work on eyear and I was a judge. I can't stand the soupy chili that some people make. I like my chili like I like my women... a little thick and meaty lol

thispego
01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I like my chili like I like my women... a little thick and meaty lol

SICK! :vomit:

The Gemini Method
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
I. Hustle likes the fatties... ;)

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't really like my women to be full of beans.

As far as chili goes? No beans for contests; beans for actual eating.

z0sa
01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
With beans.

CosmicCowboy
01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I make my chili thick and meaty. It's got fresh jalapeno's and serrano's in it but it's not super pepper hot, but it's very spicy. I like it thick enough that the serving spoon will almost stand up in the pot/bowl. I usually serve it with my pinto beans and don't mind if people mix them but I don't cook them together.

The Gemini Method
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I make my chili thick and meaty. It's got fresh jalapeno's and serrano's in it but it's not super pepper hot, but it's very spicy. I like it thick enough that the serving spoon will almost stand up in the pot/bowl. I usually serve it with my pinto beans and don't mind if people mix them but I don't cook them together.

^This sounds like a mother fuckin' winner right hea...esp. the Jalapenos and Serrano chili peppers...

CosmicCowboy
01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
^This sounds like a mother fuckin' winner right hea...esp. the Jalapenos and Serrano chili peppers...

LOL Y'all may think I'm a fucking redneck but I'm also a cookin sumbitch. It may not be healthy but it's always damn good.

baseline bum
01-22-2010, 06:35 PM
sin frijol

The Gemini Method
01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL Y'all may think I'm a fucking redneck but I'm also a cookin sumbitch. It may not be healthy but it's always damn good.

I've never said you were a redneck...

I do have to agree with your food comments though...no matter if its unhealthy or not.

Drachen
01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
With beans, and mine is the soupy kind. I just found out today that we are having a chili cookoff on feb 26th. They should just have whatever prize they are giving out pre-engraved with my name. Everyone who tries my chili tells me it is far and away the best chili they have ever had. I used to make it for potlucks at work, but it got too expensive because everyone from every department would come and grab a bowl so I shut it down. I have since had several people pay me to make them chili.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
i live in texas. therefore no beans in my chili.

damn yankees.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I like all kinds of chili. My mom makes some damn good chili con carne and it is soupy and with beans. I just love it and so do my kids. I like chili rice too with thick chili.

Biernutz
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
No!

SpursWoman
01-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I've been making this turkey chilli recently that has black beans and it's out of this world. And very healthy.

I like my chilli like I like my man: hot, thick ... And with the beans intact. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Chili con frijoles es muy bueno. :tu

JoeChalupa
01-22-2010, 08:50 PM
When I cook I say to hell with the "rules". If I like my chili with beans then damn right I'm makin' it with beans...if I don't I won't. My dad used to tell me "enchiladas don't have meat or chicken in them!"...and I'd tell him...mine do.

PM5K
01-23-2010, 03:27 AM
If you buy anything in a can with beans it will taste pretty shitty, but if you make the beans yourself the end result is a lot better.

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Chili con frijoles es muy bueno. :tu

Ay carajo! Creo que chili con frijoles es tan chingada.

mrsmaalox
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I think chili "purists" around the country all poo-poo the notion of beans in chili. But I like it that way, and as PM5K said, only with homemade beans.

When I lived on the east coast, chili restaurants all served multiple kinds of chili, but you ordered your starch on the side: beans, rice or pasta. And it was perfectly acceptable to mix them together at the table. :hungry:

Summers
01-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I've never said you were a redneck...

Oh, no, CC is a redneck, but I'd eat at his house and keep my political views to myself anytime!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I add beans to mine, and btw I'd put my chili up against any of y'all. I have secret ingredients and shit. My chili and guacamole cannot be beat! :D

JudynTX
01-23-2010, 06:29 PM
:nope No beans.

Chomag
01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Real true Chili has no beans. Not saying it dosn't taste good with them though.

Ginofan
01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I like mixin my chili with rice AND beans...a little cornbread on the side too.

EmptyMan
01-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I love beans in my chili but no one ever puts them in. :(

tp2021
01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
As far as chili goes? No beans for contests; beans for actual eating.

Great answers

Viva Las Espuelas
01-24-2010, 01:43 AM
I think chili "purists" around the country all poo-poo the notion of beans in chili. But I like it that way, and as PM5K said, only with homemade beans.

thank you. fry purist

:stirpot:

Nash2TimeMVp
01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
dude your not funny or witty. just shut the fuck up

Dex
01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Since chili originated in Texas, "true" Texas chili is made with only meat, that's why a lot of contests and competitions hold to this rule. I think beans started making their way into the mix as the chili recipe started traveling westward to cultures where beans were common and inexpensive ingredients.

A little history:

"The main differences between Texas chili recipes and those other chili recipes is that "real" Texas chili has no beans and the main ingredient, after the meat, is chili peppers - whether chopped, diced, powdered, or liquified. Oh, and Texas chili just tastes better."

"As I hope we all know, chili was invented in San Antonio, Texas, about the middle of the Nineteenth Century. It began as a simple peasant stew using materials inexpensive and at hand. Meat, chile peppers, comino, oregano and garlic made up the first recipes. All the spices except the comino grow wild in South Texas. The comino was imported from the Canary Islands by settlers in San Antonio in the 1700's."

Either way, if I'm eating chili out of a bowl, I prefer it to have beans. Gives it more diversity and makes it a heartier meal. (Crackers on the side too, kthx). If the chili is going on anything like a burger or chili dog, beans are just going to complicate the situation.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
looky here. a foreigner who thinks he can cook tex-mex because he posts on a san antonio message board.

¡Sorry creñor! Sorry you don't have any ¡tortillas¡

Yeah, because only San Antonians can cook tex-mex... :rolleyes

I can cook tex-mex because I started experimenting with recipes 10 years ago, and on top of that I learned a lot from talking to people during my trips over there.

I think if you tasted what I cook you'd be pleasantly surprised.

PS I make no claim to what is "authentic" or not - I just cook a mean batch of great-tasting chili.

David Bowie
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I like Chile with beans. Always good.

You could go a bit more creative as well. I love eggplant Chile. Delicious and easy to make. It's a Thai dish .

baseline bum
01-25-2010, 12:13 AM
I like Chile with beans. Always good.

I like Chile more for the mountains and beaches, myself.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 09:27 AM
If your trying to stretch your dollar and get full faster, Chili with beans.
If your living high on the hog and want more meat, then of course, Chili w/o beans. :hungry:

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Actually, my favorite way to eat chili is in a salad. Put original fritos on the bottom of the bowl, spoon your chili over that, then finely shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes if you like them, a little salsa on the lettuce, then more chili and then top with finely shredded longhorn cheddar cheese. Most awesome.

I. Hustle
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Richers don't use beans.

SpursStalker
01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
With beans but if its going on my hotdog ... without.

Drachen
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
If your trying to stretch your dollar and get full faster, Chili with beans.
If your living high on the hog and want more meat, then of course, Chili w/o beans. :hungry:

I disagree. I put about $30-$40 of meat in my chili and add beans. They add to the flavor.

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Richers don't use beans.

The hell we don't. I just made a big pot of beans this weekend. Mine just kick ass. Of course, since I'm a richer I served them with smoked beef tenderloin and twice stuffed baked potatoes that I made while I was doing a big batch of pulled pork.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7708/1011567edited.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/1011567edited.jpg/)

The pork about 5 hours later (after the tenderloin and potatoes were served)
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3995/1011569.jpg (http://img503.imageshack.us/i/1011569.jpg/)

SpursStalker
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
The hell we don't. I just made a big pot of beans this weekend. Mine just kick ass. Of course, since I'm a richer I served them with smoked beef tenderloin and twice stuffed baked potatoes that I made while I was doing a big batch of pulled pork.
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7708/1011567edited.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/1011567edited.jpg/)

My invite must have gotten lost in the mail ...

:lol

mrsmaalox
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I made chili on Saturday. With beans :D

I. Hustle
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I meant they don't use beans in their chili.

SAGambler
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
i like all kinds of chili. My mom makes some damn good chili con carne and it is soupy and with beans. i just love it and so do my kids. I like chili rice too with thick chili.

roflmfao

SAGambler
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Actually, my favorite way to eat chili is in a salad. Put original fritos on the bottom of the bowl, spoon your chili over that, then finely shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes if you like them, a little salsa on the lettuce, then more chili and then top with finely shredded longhorn cheddar cheese. Most awesome.

Agreed. When my mother started making this in her restrauant back in the seventies, she called it a "Taco Salad". Everyone loved it, especially on a cool winter day.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I disagree. I put about $30-$40 of meat in my chili and add beans. They add to the flavor.

hmmmmm :stirpot:

I may try that. Thanks.

RandomGuy
01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
This thread is useless without a poll.

Drachen
01-25-2010, 02:15 PM
hmmmmm :stirpot:

I may try that. Thanks.

Try what? spending that much on meat? I use the stew meat you can get at HEB (or your local store). I have seen/heard of people using ground beef. I don't know what is wrong with them.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Try what? spending that much on meat? I use the stew meat you can get at HEB (or your local store). I have seen/heard of people using ground beef. I don't know what is wrong with them.

Hold on there Drachen.....

I was just extending a thank you for offering the suggestion of using my own meat to make chili.

I didn't know it was such a sensitive topic. Geez.:(

Drachen
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Hold on there Drachen.....

I was just extending a thank you for offering the suggestion of using my own meat to make chili.

I didn't know it was such a sensitive topic. Geez.:(

Not being sensitive, just being confused. Were you genuinely thanking me for something or were you just making a joke about genitalia. Sorry for killing the joke if you were.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Not being sensitive, just being confused. Were you genuinely thanking me for something or were you just making a joke about genitalia. Sorry for killing the joke if you were.

I was genuinely thanking you. I like to cook and was making a mental note to use "real" meat next time I am in the kitchen making Chili.

No hard feelings. :toast

Drachen
01-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I was genuinely thanking you. I like to cook and was making a mental note to use "real" meat next time I am in the kitchen making Chili.

No hard feelings. :toast

Ah ok, so do you usually use ground beef? If so, I could see how the sensitive remark came out as my post sounded like it was attacking you directly. LoL, that was just a lucky (unlucky) coincedence. Anyway, happy cooking. My chili is my favorite food. My steak is my second. I can't really cook anything else.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Ah ok, so do you usually use ground beef? If so, I could see how the sensitive remark came out as my post sounded like it was attacking you directly. LoL, that was just a lucky (unlucky) coincedence. Anyway, happy cooking. My chili is my favorite food. My steak is my second. I can't really cook anything else.

I love the simplicity of steak. I am sure you'll agree that true steak lovers don't have to season them much. A little salt and pepper will suffice.

I had a buddy over and I had bought some well-marbled Ribeyes (Choice) and the idiot asked for it "well-done". Needless to say, I gave him his steak but tore into him letting him know he ruined a good piece of meat. You can tell alot about people on how they eat their steak.

And yes, I'ver used ground beef before in my Chili but I am going to try some lean stew meat next time. Thanks. :toast

Drachen
01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I used to work as a waiter at saltgrass, and when someone ordered their steak well done I would confirm, "you know that means no pink at all right?" when they said yes, I would take my shoe off and put it on their table. Most of the times it got laughs and helped develop rapport. A couple of times it didn't go so well. LOL. Anyway, when I brought their steak out, I just brought a bottle of A1 with me. Why make two trips to the back when you know they are going to ask for it. Shoot, I use A1 too if I am over at someone's house and they overcook the steaks, it has no flavor left.

Anyway, I am sure you will really enjoy your chili with the lean stew meat. It really elevates an already excellent dish.

TheManFromAcme
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I used to work as a waiter at saltgrass, and when someone ordered their steak well done I would confirm, "you know that means no pink at all right?" when they said yes, I would take my shoe off and put it on their table. Most of the times it got laughs and helped develop rapport. A couple of times it didn't go so well. LOL. Anyway, when I brought their steak out, I just brought a bottle of A1 with me. Why make two trips to the back when you know they are going to ask for it. Shoot, I use A1 too if I am over at someone's house and they overcook the steaks, it has no flavor left.

Anyway, I am sure you will really enjoy your chili with the lean stew meat. It really elevates an already excellent dish.

Saltgrass? Yup, good steaks there but given the choice I'll take a Ruth Chris's steak. I am with you; If I absolutely have to use A1 it's because some shmuck decided to make beef jerky out of his ribeye.
In fact, and I am sure you've seen this, I'll take A1 over that dreaded, overused, only white-trash use it.............KETCHUP. :lol

Drachen
01-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Saltgrass? Yup, good steaks there but given the choice I'll take a Ruth Chris's steak. I am with you; If I absolutely have to use A1 it's because some shmuck decided to make beef jerky out of his ribeye.
In fact, and I am sure you've seen this, I'll take A1 over that dreaded, overused, only white-trash use it.............KETCHUP. :lol

Don't see it as much as you might think, probably 2 times in the whole year I worked at Saltgrass. The worst thing though, and I am ashamed to admit it, my sister uses ketchup on her steaks. It really offends my dad who makes wonderful steaks. Ruths Chris is good. I think the quality of the steak is unsurpassed (as far as what I have eaten), it just falls apart in your mouth. I do think, however, that they are overrated as far as taste. It is paradoxical to me that this is so, but perhaps it was such a small sample size (I have only eaten there once) that I just got "the bad one." Their seared ahi tuna on the other hand, freakin great. I made my wife who doesn't eat fish AT ALL try a bite and she ate half of it. I wished I hadn't made her take a bite for selfish reasons. It is the second best fish course I have ever eaten.

As far as A1 goes, I used to use it for scrambled eggs, it really made them pop. LOL. Oh the things you will come up with as a poor bachelor to make cheap ingredients taste less cheap.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I was massively disappointed by steak in the US (and yes, I ate at some top end steakhouses), and the UK for that matter - it seemed pretty flavourless to me, and I'm not a fan of marbled fat. I suppose both of those aspects result from the intensive way cows are reared standing around in feed lots. I know that there is also a lot of free-range cattle rearing in the US, so is the method of raising the cow mentioned on packaging?

Australian steak is generally free-range, which means a more varied diet for the cow and a gamier flavour, while the fat is generally in strips, not marbled, because the cow actually walks around (fat doesn't develop in muscles when they are constantly used).

I'm not a PETA freak, but it also seems to me that it's more humanitarian to give a cow some kind of natural life (ie walking around in a paddock) rather than keeping it in a confined lot and force-feeding it corn.

Let the flaming begin! :lmao

mookie2001
01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Paddock?

Ohhh no

baseline bum
01-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Well done steak is fucking awful. I remember I used to hate steak when I was a kid, and couldn't understand why the hell my parents always wanted to take us all out for that garbage. Of course, I was following their lead and ordering it well-done every time. Then as a joke, one day I told the waiter I wanted it 'bloody as hell' like in Pulp Fiction and as soon as I tried it rare that time, I realized how fucking amazing steak is. I never knew it was supposed to be juicy and have flavor until then. :lol

Dex
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Well done steak is fucking awful. I remember I used to hate steak when I was a kid, and couldn't understand why the hell my parents always wanted to take us all out for that garbage. Of course, I was following their lead and ordering it well-done every time. Then as a joke, one day I told the waiter I wanted it 'bloody as hell' like in Pulp Fiction and as soon as I tried it rare that time, I realized how fucking amazing steak is. I never knew it was supposed to be juicy and have flavor until then. :lol

This.

When I was a kid, I was worried about eating the rare meat, so I'd always get that shit well-done. Then wonder why people were making such a big deal out of some tough piece of leather.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Totally agree, bb. I like it rare when I have my monthly steak, and man does it taste good. :hungry:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Paddock?

Ohhh no

? Please expand your thoughts, mookie.

mookie2001
01-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Funny word, not American English. I understand

Cant_Be_Faded
01-26-2010, 01:34 AM
rememba whenwe were in ottowa?

mookie2001
01-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Before my family moved to Alberta

Summers
01-26-2010, 08:47 AM
My invite must have gotten lost in the mail ...

:lol

Mine too. :( Damnit, CC, I said I'd keep my mouth shut! I mean, except for the eating part.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Mine too. :( Damnit, CC, I said I'd keep my mouth shut! I mean, except for the eating part.

:lmao

Funny how this thread ended up as a "steak" thread...I rarely buy steaks "out" because I can cook them better at home...I grilled steaks for years to rave reviews but have kicked it up a notch the last few years by smoking the steak cuts whole instead of grilling the slices...This weekend I smoked a 5# beef tenderloin which is the same cut of meat as "filet mignon" but smoked whole in a spice rub instead of grilled in slices wrapped in bacon. I just slice it at the table and the it's so juicy and tender you can cut it with a butter knife. I'll also smoke standing rib roasts (the same cut as ribeye steaks) just cooked whole instead to make medium rare prime rib...

Ruth Chris ain't got shit on CosmicCowboy. You can't buy meat this good in a restaurant. Anywhere.

TheManFromAcme
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
:lmao

Funny how this thread ended up as a "steak" thread...I rarely buy steaks "out" because I can cook them better at home...I grilled steaks for years to rave reviews but have kicked it up a notch the last few years by smoking the steak cuts whole instead of grilling the slices...This weekend I smoked a 5# beef tenderloin which is the same cut of meat as "filet mignon" but smoked whole in a spice rub instead of grilled in slices wrapped in bacon. I just slice it at the table and the it's so juicy and tender you can cut it with a butter knife. I'll also smoke standing rib roasts (the same cut as ribeye steaks) just cooked whole instead to make medium rare prime rib...

Ruth Chris ain't got shit on CosmicCowboy. You can't buy meat this good in a restaurant. Anywhere.

Got Cookout? I'll come.....
Better than Ruth Chris? Man Cosmic, you need to let me know where you live.