PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see Ian in garbage time tonight

Biggems
02-07-2010, 02:00 AM
oh wait, nevermind.....he was keeping the seat warm for when Pop called timeout.

:bang:bang:bang

timtonymanu
02-07-2010, 02:05 AM
people have got to get over Ian getting playing time. It's too late already to add him to the rotation.

DesignatedT
02-07-2010, 02:17 AM
ian fucking sucks... get over this bum. dude has had chances.

he had a decent game against a very unmotivated team who will go down as one of the worst teams in the HISTORY of the NBA.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2010, 02:24 AM
People in the game blog thread were complaining that Pop was bringing in Ian in the 4th. But Ian was in street clothes, so he couldn't come in. However if you are complaining that he wasn't suited up, I understand.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2010, 02:24 AM
I find this even more annoying than last year's Mensah-Bonsu bullshit. This dude is done as a Spur. He will be lucky if he gets another job in the NBA.

ulosturedge
02-07-2010, 04:32 AM
What is the problem with Ian anyways? Soft as tissue paper? Non existent basketball IQ? I mean he has done some good things and has athleticism. It must be those things I have mentioned lol.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I find this even more annoying than last year's Mensah-Bonsu bullshit. This dude is done as a Spur. He will be lucky if he gets another job in the NBA.

I'm saving this one.

TJastal
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm saving this one.

It's the same old, same old w/ Pop. The guy simply hates 7 footers not named Tim Duncan that defend the paint and rebound. I don't know what he expects from these guys. They aren't going to put up numbers like Tim Duncan but the team doesn't need them to that, they just need them to be a presence in the paint and on the boards and throw down a few dunks every now and then, something Ian is quite capable of.

Nazr and Rasho were run out of town and shit on basically the same way Ian has been.

weebo
02-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I guess when you've had two HOF bigs on your team you find it hard to keep your patience with guys who can't play at that standaed.

EricB
02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
It's the same old, same old w/ Pop. The guy simply hates 7 footers not named Tim Duncan that defend the paint and rebound. I don't know what he expects from these guys. They aren't going to put up numbers like Tim Duncan but the team doesn't need them to that, they just need them to be a presence in the paint and on the boards and throw down a few dunks every now and then, something Ian is quite capable of.

Nazr and Rasho were run out of town and shit on basically the same way Ian has been.

Yeah rasho and nazr both went on to huge and great things too....

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Rasho was overpaid, and Nazr hit a three pointer in a blowout. Doesn't change what they were able to do on this team. Ever since then, Pop has disliked centers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM

How many rings do those guys have between them after starting at center for the Spurs?

How many have we won with Finley playing center? How many do you think we're going to win with Jefferson playing there?

(remember, TD is a power forward)

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 11:43 AM

You should look at Rasho's per36 before you stand by that statement. Nazr's averaging 8.5 points and 5 boards in 16 mpg in Charlotte.

Neither have in any way proven that they were deserving of being benched for the playoffs after helping the Spurs to 63 wins in the regular season.

Old School 44
02-07-2010, 11:46 AM

He actually hates ALL 7 footers, early on he forced Tim to be listed as 6' 11". :lol

Biggems
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
all i am saying is, if what Pop is doing now isn't working, try something else. Give Ian at least 10 minutes a game.

I swear Pop acts like a woman, keepin all these guys in the doghouse all the time. Since Ian isn't getting any time or opportunity, he is yet another wasted draft pick. We could have had Marc Gasol instead.....but then Pop would have him in the doghouse too.

Cane
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Rather let Theo get the minutes than Ian. Ian seems to be on the way out for a long time now; this forum sure does love its D-leaguers while at the same time hates Pop :)

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
3 years down the road i think we'll be having the same frustrations of ian not playing. and every year before the season begins, we'll be talking about how great it's gonna be to finally see him play

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Rather let Theo get the minutes than Ian. Ian seems to be on the way out for a long time now; this forum sure does love its D-leaguers while at the same time hates Pop :)

haha, i agree, i've made the same observation. but, i think mahinmi is an exception to the rule because he's a big man. the spurs have been starved of a big man for so long, the solution seems simple, let him play!

but yah, it's really annoying how everybody thinks hairston, gist, and anthony tolliver were the next michael jordans

galvatron3000
02-07-2010, 12:46 PM
you guys keep saying it's too late in the season to bring him in and I guess you mean to get in playing shape because this same franchise brought Nazr in late and won in 2005. So if you think it's too late to start implementing Ian with 10-15 minutes before the season is over then I guess you have a point but I don't agree. I just think we shouldn't expect him to be apart of this team, he will not be back and the Spurs have decided to go another direction. The worse thing Pop did was actually put Ian in and him have a wonderful game against NJ, he may never live that down in the eyes of some, including myself when he has made some very suspicious decisions and at best just plain horrible ones.

gospursgojas
02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Who's Ian Mahimi?

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Who's Ian Mahimi?

is that sarcasm or a joke?

poop
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
what i dont get is we have kept him around, for years, kept him on the roster, kept him as a spur for years even when he was always hurt, and now when he can FINALLY contribute he doesnt get played at all.

so why the hell did we even keep him around all these years just to not play him?

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
but yah, it's really annoying how everybody thinks hairston, gist, and anthony tolliver were the next michael jordans

Hairston is better than Finley and Bogans, and probably even better than RJ at this point.

Gist was better than the bigs the Spurs ended up having after he was sent to Europe.

Tolliver was a big who hit three pointers, and Pop loved him despite the fact that he couldn't play defense or rebound, and most of Spurstalk pointed that out all along.

The Spurs don't need Michael Jordan to win a title, they need role players to play well in their roles. Four or five guys contributing in their own small way makes the difference between a team that loses in the conference semifinals and one that wins it all.

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Hairston is better than Finley and Bogans, and probably even better than RJ at this point.

Gist was better than the bigs the Spurs ended up having after he was sent to Europe.

Tolliver was a big who hit three pointers, and Pop loved him despite the fact that he couldn't play defense or rebound, and most of Spurstalk pointed that out all along.

The Spurs don't need Michael Jordan to win a title, they need role players to play well in their roles. Four or five guys contributing in their own small way makes the difference between a team that loses in the conference semifinals and one that wins it all.

they DON'T NEED michael jordan? oh, thanks for clarifying. why is hairston in the d-league? why is anthony tolliver being cut by just about every team he tries to play for (except the warriors)? why have you never heard gist's name outside of this forum?

DesignatedT
02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Mahinmi wont/cant stop fouling... the dude is a foul machine... fouls do not help a team..... fouls can end up hurting a team very much actually. spurs defense tries do defend without fouling.... this is the biggest reason IMO.

To think Mahinmi is going to go on and be some promising NBA player is fucking retarded.. dude has had a shot... the guy is athletic thats it... there are players like this buried on the bench all over the NBA.

id rather see fucking ratliff out there.

objective
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
:lol

just keep telling yourselves that Mahinmi can't play and that he's a scrub.

Curl up in your snuggie blanket with the reassuring dreams that Scola can't play in the NBA either, that he wants too much money, that he demands to start ahead of Tim Duncan, that he can't rebound . . .

objective
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
How many rings do those guys have between them after starting at center for the Spurs?

How many have we won with Finley playing center? How many do you think we're going to win with Jefferson playing there?

(remember, TD is a power forward)

I had forgetten all about Nazr.

The shot clock is about to expire, he's still on the court in a blowout, so he junks one and it goes in. Not like he was rubbing it in with 15 seconds on the shotclock and some and-1 dribbling.

Pop exploding and locking him in a dungeon against Dallas out of spite . . . awesome.

itzsoweezee
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Ian has been very effective in the few playing opportunities he's been afforded. The Ian haters are simply PopApologists; there's no logical reason to keep him planted on the bench while playing Richard Jefferson and Michael Finley at power forward.

The stupidity of you apologists never ceases to amaze me. I'm still dumbfounded by the pathetic excuses you idiots came up with for the Scola debacle.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
they DON'T NEED michael jordan? oh, thanks for clarifying.
Why the fuck did you bring up Jordan's name in the first place, then? Spurs fans think those guys will help the team win. Seems logical that you think the Spurs need those guys to be Jordan in order for them to compete if that's what you think the expectation is for them. Don't make overblown retarded statements if you don't want to be called out for them.

why is hairston in the d-league?
Beats me. For more info see the 54920234 posts by a bunch of Spurs fans asking the exact same thing.

why is anthony tolliver being cut by just about every team he tries to play for (except the warriors)?
To brush up on your reading comprehension, see my post about his inability to defend or rebound suggesting that Tolliver doesn't belong in this conversation.

why have you never heard gist's name outside of this forum?
Don't the Spurs still hold his rights? Last year at this time he was a more attractive prospect than anyone on the Spurs' radar outside of Splitter. DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess changed the perspective, but their being with the Spurs now doesn't mean people that wished Gist had been on the team last year are off base.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Mahinmi wont/cant stop fouling... the dude is a foul machine... fouls do not help a team..... fouls can end up hurting a team very much actually. spurs defense tries do defend without fouling.... this is the biggest reason IMO.

Wow, with that attitude Andrew Bynum would never have gotten any PT.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Seriously, how can anyone say Ian is useless? Has anyone taken a look at Bonner's stats? I don't care if it was against the Nets, Ian pulled down more boards in that game than Bonner has all season.

At some point Pop needs to quit squinting at Bonner thinking it's Robert Horry out there.

objective
02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
At some point Pop needs to quit squinting at Bonner thinking it's Robert Horry out there.

Oh man, the Horry comparison! I remember that being thrown around so much summer 07 . . . :lol

I remember the posters . . . "We need to re-sign Bonner! We need him to stretch the floor like Horry! He's the next Horry!"

Reasoning with those people was impossible.

Pointing out that Horry was so much more than a three-point shooter and won games with defense, steals, blocks, tricks of the trade . . . people couldn't handle it. They'd just shut down.

200 miles
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
You all better hope that the Spurs draft Jerome Jordan or Cousins or at least sign Tiago to completely put this Ian situation out of your misery.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm saving this one.

Good for you. You do that. Pick it up, brush it off, fold it four times, wrap it in pretty paper and ribbon and save it. Save it right up your ass.

Chieflion
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Good for you. You do that. Pick it up, brush it off, fold it four times, wrap it in pretty paper and ribbon and save it. Save it right up your ass.
Lame. Even Aaron Gray has a contract in the NBA.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Lame. Even Aaron Gray has a contract in the NBA.

And . . . he's lucky to have it. Do you guys read to comprehend or just react and spew?

Chieflion
02-07-2010, 09:27 PM

And . . . he's lucky to have it. Do you guys read to comprehend or just react and spew?
So an athletic young center with potential who is way better way than that white stiff who does not have any potential can't get another job in the NBA? So do you just react and spew? You are a freaking dumbass.

exstatic
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
:lol The Ian-heads make me laugh. I guess they were the ONLY ones who couldn't figure out that option not picked up = nailed to the bench.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
So an athletic young center with potential who is way better way than that white stiff who does not have any potential can't get another job in the NBA? So do you just react and spew? You are a freaking dumbass.

Again, you didn't read correctly. I said he would be LUCKY to get another job in the NBA. With a new draft class, euro prospects and NBADLers, not to mention the possibility of more money to be made overseas, it's a pretty realistic scenario for Mahinmi.
Dumbass? I'm not the one lacking reading comprehension skills and getting angry about it. However, if it makes you feel better to act like an asshole, then go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Chieflion
02-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Again, you didn't read correctly. I said he would be LUCKY to get another job in the NBA. With a new draft class, euro prospects and NBADLers, not to mention the possibility of more money to be made overseas, it's a pretty realistic scenario for Mahinmi.
Dumbass? I'm not the one lacking reading comprehension skills and getting angry about it. However, if it makes you feel better to act like an asshole, then go ahead. Knock yourself out.
Lucky? There are teams who would offer him a contract in the off-season. Athletic young centers do not grow on trees. And if I was acting like an asshole in this thread, I think you are too. Considering that was how you were replying in this thread. Go ahead, knock yourself out.

TJastal
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM

To think Mahinmi is going to go on and be some promising NBA player is fucking retarded.. dude has had a shot... the guy is athletic thats it... there are players like this buried on the bench all over the NBA.

id rather see fucking ratliff out there.

Robin Lopez was in a similar situation in Phoenix. Buried on the bench, he was foul prone and lacked confidence.

But they stuck with him and gave him opportunities off the bench to learn the game. And look they just put him in the starting lineup and he's not fouling out and helping them win games. Amazing what a little patience and some confidence will do, huh?

TJastal
02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Why the fuck did you bring up Jordan's name in the first place, then? Spurs fans think those guys will help the team win. Seems logical that you think the Spurs need those guys to be Jordan in order for them to compete if that's what you think the expectation is for them. Don't make overblown retarded statements if you don't want to be called out for them.

Beats me. For more info see the 54920234 posts by a bunch of Spurs fans asking the exact same thing.

To brush up on your reading comprehension, see my post about his inability to defend or rebound suggesting that Tolliver doesn't belong in this conversation.

Don't the Spurs still hold his rights? Last year at this time he was a more attractive prospect than anyone on the Spurs' radar outside of Splitter. DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess changed the perspective, but their being with the Spurs now doesn't mean people that wished Gist had been on the team last year are off base.

Obstructed_View, you might as well be talking to a snail. This is an authentic Pop-alogist your dealing with here. Their method of thinking is whatever happens, if Popovich put his stamp of approval on it or had a hand in it, then it was the right and just decision that should never be questioned.

So using Pop-alogist logic if Hairston is still in the D league, it's because he doesn't have NBA talent and belongs there. Kind of makes you wonder what Pop-alogists actually believe the D league is for if everyone there sucks.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I quit. You win. Have a nice night, friendo.

TJastal
02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
:lol The Ian-heads make me laugh. I guess they were the ONLY ones who couldn't figure out that option not picked up = nailed to the bench.

Wow, capt obvious strikes again.

Nobody's arguing that Ian's fate is mostly sealed now. The argument is whether it was the right decision or not to leave his option on the table.

sananspursfan21
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM

:lol:lol:lol

tell that to all the other people who seem to think that. the "overblown" statement comes from so many people on here who think those things exactly. you're such a fag

exstatic
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, capt obvious strikes again.

Nobody's arguing that Ian's fate is mostly sealed now. The argument is whether it was the right decision or not to leave his option on the table.

And what, exactly, will that argument accomplish?

Ian's fate, BTW, was sealed by DeJuan Blair.

DesignatedT
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, with that attitude Andrew Bynum would never have gotten any PT.

Are you comparing Ian Mahinmi to Andrew Bynum :lol

please son

TJastal
02-07-2010, 10:36 PM

There's always satisfaction to be had at dissecting Pop's decisions as a coach/gm, especially when he fucks up royally, which he has done. If Ian goes on to have a stellar career somewhere else (ala Scola) Pop is going to look like a buffoon.

Is that an accomplishment? I don't know, but it sure is fun.

objective
02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
nothing better than declaring that there should be no discussions on a discussion board.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-07-2010, 10:44 PM

I think anyone with a brain realized that would be the case with the contract not being extended.

I also think in time it's going to go down as yet another time where Pop was too stubborn for his own good. We seem to be getting more and more of those recently, unfortunately.

underdawg
02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Sure are a lot of folks on this board that are nba experts on talent. These are probably the same folks that said Pop was right for keeping Hill shelved last year. I just think it's hard to make hard statements about someone's talent until you've seen enough evidence to do so. Just making that statement based of a coach's decision seems pretty naive to me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-07-2010, 10:45 PM

Yeah, it would suck to have two young talented bigs on the cheap. That's too much for Pop though - he'd rather have a couple of veteran 'bigs' in Bonner and Finley to throw out there.

DesignatedT
02-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Sure are a lot of folks on this board that are nba experts on talent. These are probably the same folks that said Pop was right for keeping Hill shelved last year. I just think it's hard to make hard statements about someone's talent until you've seen enough evidence to do so. Just making that statement based of a coach's decision seems pretty naive to me.

Hills situation compared to Ian are totally different. Ian has had 3 years of evidence in a spurs uniform.. that includes the coaching staff seeing him every day in practice. Hill had spent a previous 0 years here. pop realized his fault on that but to see a rookie like that step in is pretty rare. not like he would have made a difference anyway.

will_spurs
02-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Hills situation compared to Ian are totally different. Ian has had 3 years of evidence in a spurs uniform.. that includes the coaching staff seeing him every day in practice. Hill had spent a previous 0 years here. pop realized his fault on that but to see a rookie like that step in is pretty rare. not like he would have made a difference anyway.

The only thing we can hope for Ina right now is that he goes on to a nice NBA career, which I think will be the case. Won't be the first time Pop will be eating crow after misjudging a player's potential. But it's ok, cos it's Pop.

underdawg
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Ian had 3 years of evidence? He played well in D-League and then he was injured. If Pop wasn't impressed with his D-League stint, why would he have been upset when Ian was injured?

Hill did make a difference - once Pop was forced to play him. Hill on the shelf didn't help Mason either.

I think most folks that support Ian just want him to get some a bit of playing time - especially when there are opportunities to do so. Most aren't saying he's anything more than a bench player, but does he have enough athleticism to help us - that's the question I'd like to see answered. A game like the Clippers would have been a good opportunity.

dbestpro
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM

The coaches do not have a great history of developing players. They did not teach Tony his speed, Manu his craftiness, Bowen his D, or Duncan his overall game. Even with Blair Pop said he does not know how to coach him. Probably, the best thing to happen to Blair. The only coach who seems to deliver at an actual player improvement level is Chip. The one exception may be George Hill. But, has he gotten better because of coaching, playing time and over development of confidence? Imagine if Pop gave Ian the same amount of screw up time that they have given RJ.

Old School 44
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm on the "play Ian" side of the fence, but based on what's transpired I think his days are done as a Spur. The NJ game was a showcase game.
This is what I think happened between Pop and Ian before the NJ game.

Pop: Let's just talk plainly, I don't like your attitude. I heard you were really upset we did not pick up your option and complaining to the other players. You don't do that if you want to be on this team. Quite frankly, I still think you have untapped potential and can be a good player in this league, but you have to change your attitude.

Ian: I just want some playing time. I think I deserve a chance.

Pop: You demanding time vs. playing hard in practice and earning time is the problem.
Guys are busting their tails in practice and you feel like you deserve time?
How am I going to look if you are lobbying for time, but not showing it in practice, yet all of sudden you're getting 10-15 minutes a game?

Ian: Ok, then trade me.

Pop: That's what we hope to do. This game is your showcase game. This game is just as much for you as it is for us. You do well and somebody will request you in a trade. Both parties get what they want and we shake hands and move on. Nothing personal, just business.

Remember, you have to be on your best behavior afterwards, no complaining to the media, or others about your playing time in future games before the trade deadline, you do that and you become more difficult to move.

Just be a good teammate. When the camera hits you, smile. Cheer on the team and high five players as they return to the bench. We'll get this done. Got it?

Ian: Got it! (shake hands, leaves the office)

Pop: Damn, I wish Isiah was still with the Knicks. Let me give my bud Larry a call.
Michael chose Kwame, maybe I can convince him and Larry to take Ian.

objective
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think most people are unaware that Ian is done as a Spur. We all know he won't be here next season. But come on guys, don't act like Theo Ratliff is coming back next season either, it's not a case of 'play the guy who will be here'.

It's just weird not to see him on active roster for a game against a bad team over Theo considering his one good game and his one decent game. I'm not expecting him to be active over Theo in the playoffs or against elite teams, but for a February regular season game when Pop is actually counting on having Theo healthy for the playoffs . . . it's not like Theo getting 5 minutes every 5th game helps his conditioning.

Cane
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think most people are unaware that Ian is done as a Spur. We all know he won't be here next season. But come on guys, don't act like Theo Ratliff is coming back next season either, it's not a case of 'play the guy who will be here'.

It's just weird not to see him on active roster for a game against a bad team over Theo considering his one good game and his one decent game. I'm not expecting him to be active over Theo in the playoffs or against elite teams, but for a February regular season game when Pop is actually counting on having Theo healthy for the playoffs . . . it's not like Theo getting 5 minutes every 5th game helps his conditioning.

Decent points but Theo also needs at least some minutes and it was a long while before he got some the other night. Like you said, Ian is likely done so it makes more sense to invest the time in a player you'll later be using in the most important games for the Spurs this year (playoffs).

So while Theo won't be coming back he'll at least be playing this year. Ian is a disappointing D-league project thats just injury insurance/trade fodder nowadays.

objective
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Decent points but Theo also needs at least some minutes and it was a long while before he got some the other night. Like you said, Ian is likely done so it makes more sense to invest the time in a player you'll later be using in the most important games for the Spurs this year (playoffs).

Theo doesn't need minutes. In fact, Pop has already said to the media that there would be games where he wouldn't be playing Theo, even when he was on the active roster. Last night he played him sure, but overall, Theo doesn't need minutes. He's a spot player to fill a spot role in the playoffs, 2-3 minute bursts to end quarters or begin them in the playoffs, that's it.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
The coaches do not have a great history of developing players. They did not teach Tony his speed, Manu his craftiness, Bowen his D, or Duncan his overall game. Even with Blair Pop said he does not know how to coach him. Probably, the best thing to happen to Blair. The only coach who seems to deliver at an actual player improvement level is Chip. The one exception may be George Hill. But, has he gotten better because of coaching, playing time and over development of confidence? Imagine if Pop gave Ian the same amount of screw up time that they have given RJ.

??? You act like there are coaching staffs all over the NBA developing young players into stars? please. and give some credit to the spurs coaching staff for all three of the above mentioned Tony,Manu and Bruce all became better players due to the coaching staff and pop

Even players like Turkoglu have said in the past that he developed most and would have not became the player he is today without his stint here in S.A.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Are you comparing Ian Mahinmi to Andrew Bynum :lol

please son

Yeah, why not? I could have used Shaquille O'Neal or Dwight Howard to compare as well because, like almost all young bigs in the NBA, they have problems adjusting to the speed and require time to reduce their fouls. Mahinmi has no less upside than Bynum at this point in his career, and you'll see that proven in July, when the line of NBA suitors throw more money at him than the Spurs can afford.

J Mack
02-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Ian has been very effective in the few playing opportunities he's been afforded. The Ian haters are simply PopApologists; there's no logical reason to keep him planted on the bench while playing Richard Jefferson and Michael Finley at power forward.

The stupidity of you apologists never ceases to amaze me. I'm still dumbfounded by the pathetic excuses you idiots came up with for the Scola debacle.
Damn i like the way you think ! :toast

Obstructed_View
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM

If teams sat all their players that were going to be wearing someone else's jersey next year, a lot of NBA games would be pretty awful to watch.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Mahinmi will be nothing more than serge ibaka, saer sene, pops mensa bonsu, fransisco elson, johan petro etc.... extremely athletic big men who have no idea how to play the game.

J Mack
02-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by DesignatedT http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4061106#post4061106)
Mahinmi wont/cant stop fouling... the dude is a foul machine... fouls do not help a team..... fouls can end up hurting a team very much actually. spurs defense tries do defend without fouling.... this is the biggest reason IMO. when did you see him accumulate all these fouls? what games did he play in to collect all these fouls you talking about? :rolleyes

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
^^^^ well in this years summer league he averaged over 6 fouls a game in less than 27 minutes per game. Thats against Inferior competition and one game he collected 10 personal fouls LMAO. this is because you cant foul out in summer league games.

If you think it gets easier in the NBA then your wrong.

Chieflion
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I like DesignatedT's analysis. So, how many regular season games did we see Ian play again?

duncan228
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
So, how many regular season games did we see Ian play again?

Six in '07-'08.

Five in '09-'10.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I like DesignatedT's analysis. So, how many regular season games did we see Ian play again?

So are you implying that the NBA regular season would be easier for ian than a mere summer league :lol

please.

dude cant play against summer league competition i highly doubt he will be able to play against gasol and dirk.

objective
02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
like he couldn't play against Brook Lopez or Zach Randolph?

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:15 PM
like he couldn't play against Brook Lopez or Zach Randolph?

Lol zach randolph? please go back and look what he did in that game... if i remember correctly he almost fouled out of that game also and probly played 10 minutes LOL

yeah ill give him the nets game, that was a great showing against a highly unmotivated team that will go down as one of the worst teams in NBA HISTORY.

objective
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Lol zach randolph? please go back and look what he did in that game... if i remember correctly he almost fouled out of that game also and probly played 10 minutes LOL

yeah ill give him the nets game, that was a great showing by a highly unmotivated team that will go down as one of the worst teams in NBA HISTORY.

No, YOU go back and watch that game. Unlike you probably, I watched that game a second time solely to scout Ian and take notes.

He had two bogus calls, and two legit fouls against.

AND he DREW FOUR fouls. One of them a charge, and another on Randolph when Zach held Ian to keep him from running the floor.

And enough of this fouling garbage.

His biggest fouling problem was moving screens. He had them in SL, he had them in pre-season, he had them against NJ. It was something he needed to improve.

So against Memhis . . . NO offensive fouls for illegal screens.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Mahinmi will be nothing more than serge ibaka, saer sene, pops mensa bonsu, fransisco elson, johan petro etc.... extremely athletic big men who have no idea how to play the game.

Funny how you know that without having seen him get a chance to play. It seems like the Spurs could have made a premature judgment of the guy four years ago and not wasted everyone's time and money.

Yeah, why would you need to see a guy play to know if he can actually play? Besides, all big men have learned everything they're going to learn by age 23.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
His biggest fouling problem was moving screens. He had them in SL, he had them in pre-season, he had them against NJ. It was something he needed to improve.

As often as not, moving screens are the fault of the small guy dribbling the ball for not giving the big a chance to set his feet. Again, something that can be remedied by guys getting a chance to play together.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
No, YOU go back and watch that game. Unlike you probably, I watched that game a second time solely to scout Ian and take notes.

He had two bogus calls, and two legit fouls against.

AND he DREW FOUR fouls. One of them a charge, and another on Randolph when Zach held Ian to keep him from running the floor.

And enough of this fouling garbage.

last time i checked "bogus" calls still go down as personal fouls and against the team total.

guy cant stop fouling. bogus or not. fouling machine.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Funny how you know that without having seen him get a chance to play. It seems like the Spurs could have made a premature judgment of the guy four years ago and not wasted everyone's time and money.

Yeah, why would you need to see a guy play to know if he can actually play? Besides, all big men have learned everything they're going to learn by age 23.

that could have been a pre-mature evaluation on ian but thats just my opinion..

still doesnt change the way i feel about him being the difference or needing more time. he hasnt impressed me and after 3 years of being on the team he obviously hasnt impressed anyone else either.

objective
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
last time i checked "bogus" calls still go down as personal fouls and against the team total.

guy cant stop fouling. bogus or not. fouling machine.

what are you talking about?

New players (and Ian is 'new' to most of the refs) don't get any respect and always have a lot of fouls because they don't get any respect.

He straight up wasn't fouling that bad compared to others in his situation. Blair got a ton of fouls his first few games also.

And you still have NOTHING for anything else I've posted.

Go back and watch the game.

objective
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
As often as not, moving screens are the fault of the small guy dribbling the ball for not giving the big a chance to set his feet. Again, something that can be remedied by guys getting a chance to play together.

Sometimes, I don't think that was the case with Ian though. He just kind of wobbled over and wouldn't square up right in the past. Rarely made any contact.

He made an improvement when he was against Memphis.

ohmwrecker
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, why not? I could have used Shaquille O'Neal or Dwight Howard to compare as well because, like almost all young bigs in the NBA, they have problems adjusting to the speed and require time to reduce their fouls. Mahinmi has no less upside than Bynum at this point in his career, and you'll see that proven in July, when the line of NBA suitors throw more money at him than the Spurs can afford.

I'm saving this one.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
what are you talking about?

New players (and Ian is 'new' to most of the refs) don't get any respect and always have a lot of fouls because they don't get any respect.

He straight up wasn't fouling that bad compared to others in his situation. Blair got a ton of fouls his first few games also.

And you still have NOTHING for anything else I've posted.

Go back and watch the game.

please. some biased opinion analysis against the memphis grizzlies shows absolutely NOTHING.

objective
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
please. some biased opinion analysis against the memphis grizzlies shows absolutely NOTHING.

so you have nothing.

By the way, Ian drew 4 fouls, possibly as much as twice as many as any other Spur that night, including 2 fouls on Zach Randolph.

Ian is now the "Foul Drawing Machine"

Facts are facts

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
lol you have nothing..

who the fuck are you to say Ian played a stellar game, some fucking NBA scout?

Me saying hes a foul machine is backed up in every damn box score hes had.

You saying hes playing a "great game" doing all these things going unseen has no credibility whatsoever. just another biased opinion.

you have NO facts.

objective
02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm no scout, but I watched the game, more than you're claiming. And watched it a second time just to focus on Ian, again, more than you're claiming.

Boxscore doesn't tell the whole story, otherwise Matt Bonner would be in the hall of fame for his +/- achievements.

I have nothing but facts to drop.

Watch the game and come back to this thread with some facts.

Will you talk about the fouls he drew? The charge on Randolph? The holding foul on Randolph?

Will you talk about how well he blocked out some of the best rebounders in the game? Will you mention the screens he set that were actually good for once (this is coming from someone who has seen him play a long time)?

And what is this "great game" you're putting on me?

I said in other threads that he had a decent game against MEM. And he did. It wasn't great because of him not finishing off the Manu feed for his first miss, even though he did corral the low pass. His 3rd miss was a bust, Manu's man hadn't left the area. It wasn't a great game, but anyone who actually watches that game and pays attention won't come away from it thinking that he's Saer Sene or Johan Petro.

DesignatedT
02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
why dont u go watch the game a 3rd time and then maybe you will realize there is nothing there but a waste of athletic ability.