PDA

View Full Version : Armando Galaraga just got SCREWED!!!!

sribb43
06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Ump blew the last call of the game and cost him a perfect game...

JamStone
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I was at the game tonight. Just got home.

Un-fucking-believable.

I am sick to my stomach. Completely sick to my stomach.

The Gemini Method
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
So many people bitch about the reffing in the NBA--really should watch how horrible the call was. Jim Joyce should be reprimanded and review should be expanded. That was a horrible, horrible, horrible call.

ShoogarBear
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/369643/DSC_0037.JPG

SAFE!!!!!

JamStone
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4278/hewasout.gif

resistanze
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
:lmao

Poor guy.

Kai
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
that is some mother fucking bullshit. I'm pissed.

ShoogarBear
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Don Denkinger is sitting on his couch going, "Holy shit, that was a bad call!"

BUMP
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
:wow just saw this on SC. unbelievable

Dro210
06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Unbelievable!

King
06-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Don Denkinger is sitting on his couch going, "Holy shit, that was a bad call!"

Way to age yourself.

Of course, I'm doing that by understanding the reference.

Spurminator
06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Last play of the game. I know it's a long shot but it doesn't seem that crazy in this case to reverse the call. Nothing that happened after that play should count. It sets an interesting precedent, but if it's only on plays that would have been the final play of the game, how often would that really be an issue?

CubanMustGo
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Last play of the game. I know it's a long shot but it doesn't seem that crazy in this case to reverse the call. Nothing that happened after that play should count.

Bingo. MLB needs to grow a pair and do exactly that. It was the LAST FUCKING OUT, overrule the call and declare it a perfect game. NOTHING changes about the outcome or COULD change by overturning the incredibly bad call.

florige
06-02-2010, 10:17 PM
By it being the last out MLB should totally reverse the call and give it to him. But it still sucks for him and the fans because celebrating with your teammates and the fans are part of an accomplishment like that.

ShoogarBear
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
If they reverse it now, though, it'll be forever unfairly tainted.

As it is, he's now in the even rarer company of Harvey Haddix and Ernie Shore.

(Howya like them apples, King?)

King
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I had to look those up. From Haddix's wiki entry.

After the game, Haddix received many letters of congratulations and support, as well as one from a Texas A&M fraternity which read, in its entirety on university stationery, "Dear Harvey, Tough shit." "It made me mad," recounted Haddix, "until I realized they were right. That's exactly what it was."[1][7][8][9]

ShoogarBear
06-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I had to look those up. From Haddix's wiki entry.

I didn't know that. I also didn't know this:

In 1993, Milwaukee's Bob Buhl revealed that the Braves pitchers had been stealing the signs from Pittsburgh catcher Smoky Burgess, who was exposing his hand signals due to a high crouch. From their bullpen, Braves pitchers repeatedly repositioned a towel to signal for a fastball or a breaking ball, the only two pitches Haddix used in the game. Despite this assistance, the usually solid Milwaukee offense managed just the one hit.[1][10] All but one Milwaukee hitter, Aaron, took the signals.[1]

:wow 12 innings of perfect pitching with only two pitches and the other team STEALING YOUR SIGNALS? :lmao

lurker23
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Poor guy. I started a poll on this site almost two years ago on this topic:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107941

Obviously turnout wasn't great. A similar poll on ESPN earlier today (with many more than 4 votes) had 80% of people saying that baseball should add replay for outs.

ynh
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Terrible call.. though I give the ump credit for admitting that it was such a bad call.

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Reversing the call wouldn't -- I think -- be completely unprecedented. In the George Brett Pine Tar game (1983), the umpire ruled Brett out after he hit a go-ahead home run with 2 out in the 9th, finding that he had too much pine tar on his bat. The Royals protested that decision and the AL President reversed the call, making Brett's home run stand and ordering that the rest of the game be played from that point until its conclusion.

There are obvious differences between the situations: Brett was called out on a missed interpretation of a black letter rule and Galarraga got hurt by a judgment call that was incorrect (though the rules do state expressly that a batter is out of a player with the ball touches the base with the ball before the batter does). But I think it would be relatively easy to apply the Brett precedent here. Call the 9th hitter out and rule that nothing that happened after that counts. Actually, that decision does the most good: it gives Galarraga the history that he earned; it absolves Joyce of a terrible call; it saves Trevor Crowe an out. Really, the only cost is John Donald's hit, which wasn't earned anyway.

The stupidity of MLB will never allow this to happen. But I think there is precedent to support a reversal.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
True, technically they can reverse the call in the same way they did the Pine Tar game. Unfortunately, that would unfairly take some of the luster off of it.

Supposed someone was chasing DiMaggio's hitting streak, and in game 56 hit a ball that was ruled an error, then after the game the scorer ruled it a hit. Even if the change was the correct call, nobody would feel particularly good about it.

(Actually, I read an article where the official scorer reviewed to play to see if it could be ruled an error on Galarraga, preserving the no-hitting.)

The Pine Tar game is different in that the only reason it is memorable is because of the reversal. Plus, we all know the only reason they reversed the pine tar game was because of Brett's priceless reaction:

6Xipza9joNw

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
True, technically they can reverse the call in the same way they did the Pine Tar game. Unfortunately, that would unfairly take some of the luster off of it.

Oh, I agree, and I think they won't change the call. I'm not sure that taking the luster off the game is the reason they won't though. I think that the incorrect call will stand mostly because there is a real slippery slope from there. If Galarraga has Donald at 2-2 in the 9th and throws a pitch that is clearly strike 3, but it's called ball 3 and the next pitch is a ball as well, do we reverse? Of course not. If Donald hits a liner to center that Jackson appears to trap, but actually caught, do we reverse? I doubt it. If Donald scores after the incorrect call, there's absolutely no way that the call would be changed.

Supposed someone was chasing DiMaggio's hitting streak, and in game 56 hit a ball that was ruled an error, then after the game the scorer ruled it a hit. Even if the change was the correct call, nobody would feel particularly good about it.

I think a more direct analogy would be to suppose that Donald had hit in 56 straight games going into last night and Joyce called him safe at the end of the game -- with the tension between a perfect game for Galarraga and a historic hitting streak for Donald, do you change an incorrect call? If we're just talking about historic circumstances making it okay to change an obviously-incorrect call, which of those circumstances is "more historical?" 20 pitchers have thrown perfect games but only 2 (in my hypothetical) would have hit in 56 games and only 1 could have hit in 57 games.

(Actually, I read an article where the official scorer reviewed to play to see if it could be ruled an error on Galarraga, preserving the no-hitting.)

I didn't think of that, but it's a brilliant effort by the scorer.

The Pine Tar game is different in that the only reason it is memorable is because of the reversal. Plus, we all know the only reason they reversed the pine tar game was because of Brett's priceless reaction

Well, we'd still have Brett's reaction to entertain us forever if the call had stood; and, curiously, while many remember the events that led to his being called out and his objection, few remember the resumption of the game a few weeks later -- Don Mattingly playing second base and Ron Guidry playing center field?

Spurminator
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
It loses some luster but it's still preferable to the current situation. This kind of stuff has a lot of people questioning their passion for sports.

If any good has come out of it, it's that Galaraga's composure in the aftermath has been nothing short of inspiring.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh, I agree, and I think they won't change the call. I'm not sure that taking the luster off the game is the reason they won't though. I think that the incorrect call will stand mostly because there is a real slippery slope from there. If Galarraga has Donald at 2-2 in the 9th and throws a pitch that is clearly strike 3, but it's called ball 3 and the next pitch is a ball as well, do we reverse? Of course not. If Donald hits a liner to center that Jackson appears to trap, but actually caught, do we reverse? I doubt it. If Donald scores after the incorrect call, there's absolutely no way that the call would be changed.

All absolutely correct.

I think a more direct analogy would be to suppose that Donald had hit in 56 straight games going into last night and Joyce called him safe at the end of the game -- with the tension between a perfect game for Galarraga and a historic hitting streak for Donald, do you change an incorrect call? If we're just talking about historic circumstances making it okay to change an obviously-incorrect call, which of those circumstances is "more historical?" 20 pitchers have thrown perfect games but only 2 (in my hypothetical) would have hit in 56 games and only 1 could have hit in 57 games.

That's sort of where I was going. And to be honest, I'm okay with post-hoc machinations for otherwise "meaningless" games like the Pine Tar game. But I like the games with historical significance to be "clean" as much as possible.

Well, we'd still have Brett's reaction to entertain us forever if the call had stood; and, curiously, while many remember the events that led to his being called out and his objection, few remember the resumption of the game a few weeks later -- Don Mattingly playing second base and Ron Guidry playing center field?

However, a valid reason for overruling the umps in the Pine Tar game vs. Galaraga's game is that the former affected the outcome of the game, while the latter only affected an individual accomplishment. By strict hierarchical "integrity of the game" standards, it's more important to get the win-loss part right.

The other thing I forgot about the resumption of the game (but was shwon in the video) was that Billy Martin, brilliant as ever, immediately appealed that Brett hadn't touched all the bases. And the umpires, who were a different crew, produced a signed sworn statement by the original crew stating that yes, he had. Out-friggin-standing! (You should really appreciate that, FWD.)

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Now some non-conjectural potential for reversing Joyce?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5246454

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
It loses some luster but it's still preferable to the current situation. This kind of stuff has a lot of people questioning their passion for sports.

I would argue that a call that costs a team a World Series (Denkinger's), should be the one that causes people to question their passion. Although you could say that a team wins the World Series every year (except one, I guess), while perfect games are much rarer (until this year, anyway).

If any good has come out of it, it's that Galaraga's composure in the aftermath has been nothing short of inspiring.

He's going to get more props now than if he actually got the perfect game.

And what the hell, how many "r"'s in his name? I've seen it both ways.

Spurminator
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I would argue that a call that costs a team a World Series (Denkinger's), should be the one that causes people to question their passion. Although you could say that a team wins the World Series every year (except one, I guess), while perfect games are much rarer (until this year, anyway).

Yeah a blown WS call would be worse. But they all go into the "Why do I care about this crap?" blender with the Jim Joyce call, the Lakers-Kings series, the Tuck Rule game, Colorado's fifth down, and Jeffrey Maier.

Or maybe it's just me.

He's going to get more props now than if he actually got the perfect game.

And what the hell, how many "r"'s in his name? I've seen it both ways.

:lol Two R's. I checked that on the ESPN article too.

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
That's sort of where I was going. And to be honest, I'm okay with post-hoc machinations for otherwise "meaningless" games like the Pine Tar game. But I like the games with historical significance to be "clean" as much as possible.

In a way, Galarraga is in more unique historical company in being compared with Haddix and Shore than with the 20 other pitchers who've thrown perfect games. Of course, there's no absolute historical record to keep the memories of Shore, Haddix, and Galarraga going; it's purely anecdotal. But, somehow Shore's feat is still remembered almost a century later, Haddix's feat has been recouned for 50 years, and Galarraga's is even more poignant (I think) than either of those games. I think all of that tends to support the notion of maintaining the result and using the Joyce call almost as something of an object lesson in: (1) how difficult it is to throw a perfect game; (2) the need for umpires to get in the right position and to make the right calls in big moments; and (3) an appropriate way to respond to these situations as they might arise in the future. Galarraga's poise in and after the moment and Joyce's public remorse are refreshing in the era of athletes who act as though they're entitled to calls and officials who believe themselves to be above reproach (Joey Crawford?).

However, a valid reason for overruling the umps in the Pine Tar game vs. Galaraga's game is that the former affected the outcome of the game, while the latter only affected an individual accomplishment. By strict hierarchical "integrity of the game" standards, it's more important to get the win-loss part right.

To quote someone I admire: "All absolutely correct."

The other thing I forgot about the resumption of the game (but was shwon in the video) was that Billy Martin, brilliant as ever, immediately appealed that Brett hadn't touched all the bases. And the umpires, who were a different crew, produced a signed sworn statement by the original crew stating that yes, he had. Out-friggin-standing! (You should really appreciate that, FWD.)

That entire scenario speaks to both the brilliance of Billy Martin and his desperate need to win. He was truly one of a kind as a manager.

The forethought to anticipate that Billy would appeal and that nobody on the field would be able to verify that Brett had touched all of the bases -- and to fend that off with proof -- is pretty remarkable, too.

King
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I think it's a dangerous precedent to overturn this call from 'upstairs.' Refs/umpires add a human element to the game, and have since the beginning of sport. With human element comes the potential for a mistake. If you start overruling the decisions of the guys on the field, you might as well just replace them all with cameras, and review every play. If you overturn the call, people will argue balls and strikes on every pitch. In almost every game, there's a call that is iffy - and it could determine the outcome.

It sucks for Galarraga and for Detroit, but that's the call the guy made. After seeing the play from every angle in slow motion hundreds of times, it's obvious that the call was bad -- unfortunately, Joyce had one angle at full speed and once chance to make the call in a split second. He's a good ump - he was rated the 2nd best ump in the league - and has been in the league for 22 years. It was just a bad call.

A perfect game, by definition, is facing 27 batters and getting all 27 out. There are no base runners. Regardless of what Selig does, there was a guy on first base, and Galarraga faced 28 guys. Retroactively making it a 'perfect game' doesn't make it so.

DarkReign
06-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Regardless of what Selig does, there was a guy on first base, and Galarraga faced 28 guys. Retroactively making it a 'perfect game' doesn't make it so.

Maybe in your mind.

Selig could overturn the call.

Donald stat goes to Ground Out (3-1)

Next guy's at-bat never existed.

27 up, 27 down.

JamStone
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm a Detroiter. I'm a Tigers fan. I don't think they'll overturn it and I don't think they should.

In many ways, with the way he's handled it, Galarraga has gotten more praise than had they gotten the right call in the first place.

Kid still got a new car before the game today. He's getting praised left and right for how he's acted and defended Jim Joyce for being human.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
In many ways, with the way he's handled it, Galarraga has gotten more praise than had they gotten the right call in the first place.

Especially this year. Being the third of three perfect games would probably have been relegated to just a sort of curiosity. Now he's got the game they'll remember most of all.

Keep that ticket stub. :lol

Whisky Dog
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
They had Armando take the pre game lineup card to Joyce before today's game. Class move.

This one falls into life's little "tough shit" category. Bad things happen and life is unfair. Way to handle it with grace though from both sides. Hopefully fans will as well unlike The Don D. Situation.

symple19
06-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Straight bullshit. If MLB had a sensible replay rule, this wouldn't have happened

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
They had Armando take the pre game lineup card to Joyce before today's game. Class move.

Joyce welled up during the lineup card exchange and gave Galarraga what appeared to be a very sincere pat on the shoulder.

I was glad that at least some in attendance today applauded Joyce instead of booing him.

CubanMustGo
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Selig won't overturn the call:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5248118

Baseball comissioner Bud Selig said he would look at the game's umpiring system and the expanded use of instant replay, but would not reverse the blown call that cost Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers a perfect game on Wednesday night.

BRHornet45
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Selig is fucking awful. between him and Stern I don't know who is worse, but Selig is dead wrong by refusing to over rule the call. something like this should be decided by more than one person, especially when that one person is an ass clown like Selig who has a long and well documented history of fuck ups.

BUMP
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Selig did the right thing by not overturning the call, but he's the one to blame here. I mean how long is it gonna take to get instant replay? This was gonna happen eventually. We have the technology.

Its just so dumb that the guy looks at the replay and knows he is wrong yet there is nothing the sport can do about it. In pretty much every other sport you can. Its just sad that the guy tried his best, knew he was absolutely wrong about it, came out and apologized for it, yet he is still gonna be remembered forever for this because baseball is too lazy to adapt to current technology

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Selig is fucking awful. between him and Stern I don't know who is worse, but Selig is dead wrong by refusing to over rule the call. something like this should be decided by more than one person, especially when that one person is an ass clown like Selig who has a long and well documented history of fuck ups.

So what do you do when the same blown call occurs in the 4th inning?

What do you do when the blown call is followed by runs scored? What if Cleveland had rallied to win the game somehow? Do you still reverse that call?

What do you do if the umpire calls the batter out but the replay clearly shows that he was safe?

What do you do if the umpire says it was a foul ball, a replay shows it was fair, and the next pitch is hit for a home run?

BlackSwordsMan
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
lol baseball

Spurminator
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
That's why I think you only overturn calls that incorrectly extended a game when the correct call would have ended the game. This could also apply to a would-be game-winning run where the player was incorrectly called out at the plate (or at first with a run scoring), thereby extending the game into extra innings.

There are a lot of variables after bad calls that happen mid-game. You can't assume a certain outcome after a bad call in the 4th, or even the second out of the 9th. But there are no variables on a bad call that should have ended the game.

It would not come into play for very many games at all, and fewer still if you assume more replay is inevitable in the next few seasons which would make the precedent moot.

BRHornet45
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
So what do you do when the same blown call occurs in the 4th inning?

What do you do when the blown call is followed by runs scored? What if Cleveland had rallied to win the game somehow? Do you still reverse that call?

What do you do if the umpire calls the batter out but the replay clearly shows that he was safe?

What do you do if the umpire says it was a foul ball, a replay shows it was fair, and the next pitch is hit for a home run?

lol I knew it was only a matter of time before one of our "big thinkers" posted ...

Obviously you bring up some good points, but this was a very rare and unique situation that baseball has never seen before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think MLB has ever been in a situation where a perfect game was blown on the VERY LAST out of the game due to a horrible call. This situation could have and should have been over ruled to allow the perfect game. Nothing would have changed because the final out was made with the next batter. Not to mention the fact that even the umpire knows he fucked up.

Its just a huge wake up call to baseball that instant replay is a must. To hell with all of their "keep baseball simple" talk ... when humans are 100% in control of ANYTHING, there will be screw ups on a daily basis and MLB is hurting the game by not having it.

FromWayDowntown
06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Obviously you bring up some good points, but this was a very rare and unique situation that baseball has never seen before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think MLB has ever been in a situation where a perfect game was blown on the VERY LAST out of the game due to a horrible call. This situation could have and should have been over ruled to allow the perfect game. Nothing would have changed because the final out was made with the next batter. Not to mention the fact that even the umpire knows he fucked up.

It is a rare situation, but you could make a pretty solid argument that it's not unique (other than the overlay of a perfect game). Is the rule to be that the league can reverse an outcome only where a historical feat is on the line?

I see Spurminator's point about this being the play that would have ended the game and that's the issue that brought me to think about the parallel with the Pine Tar game last night. But I think it's hard to create a rule that can be consistently applied to determine when the league should reverse a call and when it shouldn't.

I don't dispute that on-site replay provides a better solution than deciding after the fact whether to reverse a call. And I don't dispute that if there's a way to mess something up, MLB will find a way to do it. But given what's in place right now, I think the decision to let it stand is probably the right decision.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 06:33 PM

This is the same thought that came to me about an hour ago. What if the Galarraga had clearly bobbled the ball but Donald was called out?

My guess is that most of the people wanting them to award Galarraga the perfect game would not be calling for a reversal if he had been given one incorrectly. Probably because somehow the former feels like a bigger injustice.

Fpoonsie
06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Joyce welled up during the lineup card exchange and gave Galarraga what appeared to be a very sincere pat on the shoulder.

I was glad that at least some in attendance today applauded Joyce instead of booing him.

Yeah. I'm not even a fan of baseball and that scene got me choked up a bit.

It's great to see that kinda stuff in sports nowadays.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
It's not like baseball has a surplus of free time that having an upstairs reviewer for every significant play (think out calls/runs/fair or foul) would be possible or anything. I mean, it's such a fast moving sport that any sort of replay, even off the field, would likely cause games to grind to a halt, allowing the ball to be casually tossed from player to player as the pitcher and batter shuffle about for seconds at a time.

kromediablo
06-04-2010, 01:44 AM
check the replay...the ball rolls around the armandos glove. so I can see why he called him safe...i don't know the rule about what is considered control, much like in football there must be clear control. even when he does gain control the replay show him out but its hell of a lot closer than when the ball first hit the glove. in real time speed Its close....having that said I would have called him SAFE!!!!

Whisky Dog
06-04-2010, 05:52 AM
This is the same thought that came to me about an hour ago. What if the Galarraga had clearly bobbled the ball but Donald was called out?

My guess is that most of the people wanting them to award Galarraga the perfect game would not be calling for a reversal if he had been given one incorrectly. Probably because somehow the former feels like a bigger injustice.

That's why I would have to admit that when something like that is on the line it would be hard to not give a close play in favor of what won't get you death threats. I commend the guy for going with what he thought was correct irregardless.

Obviously you can't be overturning decisions after games. What you need is replay, and if you want to truly speed the game up then limit the number of times each pitching coach can approach the mound to 3 a game and the manager ca only go for a pitching change. Also, limit the amount of times a team's batter/pitcher can call time and step away from the box/mound. Any additional times would be considered a foul and if a batter he is out and if a pitcher a base is awarded.

Mel_13
06-04-2010, 09:09 AM

The Pine Tar game is different in that the only reason it is memorable is because of the reversal. Plus, we all know the only reason they reversed the pine tar game was because of Brett's priceless reaction:

6Xipza9joNw

This is OT.

Thanks for posting that clip. Phil Rizzuto's voice calling a Yankee game brings back memories. Including the earliest memory I have about a specific sporting event.

I listened to Rizzuto's radio call of Mantle's 535th home run. It was so memorable because Denny McClain served one up for Mantle to hit one out in his last AB in Detroit and pass Jimmy Foxx for 3rd on all-time HR list. I also remember him talking about Pepitone asking for McClain to groove one for him as well.

Watching that clip set me off searching for an audio clip of Rizzuto's call. No luck on that score, but I did find this:

qdl6ABq6E3w

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Because it is.

Galaraga was too nice about this. He should have made sure the umpire was aware about being a scum sucking egotistical piece of shit who wanted to be controversial and ruin a perfect game. No question in my mind this was a publicity stunt from the umpire so people would know his name.

Stringer_Bell
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I always thought the main reason for NO REPLAY was the length of the game. I can understand the repeated use of replay can disrupt the flow of the game and make it longer than it needs to be. However, I don't see anything wrong with giving teams "challenge flags" or whatever twice a game to let them protest a call.

I don't watch much baseball other than Red Sox games, but IMHO I think getting the calls right is more important than the 10 minutes you might add to an already long game.

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Because it is.

Galaraga was too nice about this. He should have made sure the umpire was aware about being a scum sucking egotistical piece of shit who wanted to be controversial and ruin a perfect game. No question in my mind this was a publicity stunt from the umpire so people would know his name.

No way an umpire or official wants this kind of publicity. Jim Joyce has been around long enough to know that the only publicity for a man in his position is bad publicity.

He just blew the call. There's nothing more to it than that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
No way an umpire or official wants this kind of publicity. Jim Joyce has been around long enough to know that the only publicity for a man in his position is bad publicity.

He just blew the call. There's nothing more to it than that.

Umpires and refs are some of the biggest attention whores in professional sports, any publicity to some of them is good publicity. You don't think Bennett Salvadore is proud of his reputation as a ref who can takeover games? Just look at that fatass umpire who hired a freakin publicist to get his name out. These guys half the time are jealous of the athletes who get the spotlight, so they do things that make it so they get the spotlight, this being the latest example.

JamStone
06-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Joyce definitely choked on the call. I think he just shat his pants, saw the play was going to be super close, and thought to himself he didn't want to be known as the umpire that just "gave" Galarraga the perfect game. And then ironically, he did the exact opposite because he choked under pressure.

At first, I kind of thought maybe he just wanted to see his name on Sports Center. But no, I don't think that's what it was now. I think he genuinely just fucked up the call and folded under pressure. In real time, the play was close enough to understand the missed call, even though for a major league umpire, it was a relatively "easy" call to make. He fucking choked.

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Umpires and refs are some of the biggest attention whores in professional sports, any publicity to some of them is good publicity. You don't think Bennett Salvadore is proud of his reputation as a ref who can takeover games? Just look at that fatass umpire who hired a freakin publicist to get his name out. These guys half the time are jealous of the athletes who get the spotlight, so they do things that make it so they get the spotlight, this being the latest example.

Man, you are one cynical SOB. :lol

I think JamStone got it right. Jim Joyce choked.

Or maybe it was the incompetence of the Indians infecting everyone on the field with them- or at least the umpires.