PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford:Tony Parker or George Hill will be traded by Thursday

Pages : [1] 2

Ditty
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Heard it on the chris and jason show on ESPN 1250 the zone about 30 minutes ago chad ford said last night on sports sunday on woai im trying to find the link or video

AFBlue
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Chad Ford is as much of an insider as I am.

Mr Bones
06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
It's definitely plausible. The Spurs really want to win one more with an aging Duncan. Splitter + #20 probably isn't enough to get that done.

4>0rings
06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Huge gamble ether way... I like it.

TimmehC
Chad Ford just pulling stuff out of his ass that he's supposed to be pulling out of his ass.

Leetonidas
I doubt it, especially since it's now a circulating rumor. This shit is never what the Spurs are really doing.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Offseason rumor mill workin' hard, as usual.

ffadicted
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
CIA PAWP imo

Bruno
06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
None will be traded. Trust me on that.

Muser
06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
God dammit if the Spurs do trade Parker they better get some serious talent in return..

It's fuckin stupid to trade a top 5 pg (when he's on his top game).

Dex
06-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Somebody bump this shit on Friday.

TIMMYD!
06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Somebody bump this shit on Friday.

+10000

Nothing is going to go down, just a rumor to get things moving.

Cane
06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Well it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if it does end up happening. All the reports and rumors out there have the Spurs trying to move up in the draft with Parker being the primary name thrown around.

Bruno
06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't put too much into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tony is traded. It makes sense. I wouldn't like it unless it was for the right player(s), but I think it is very possible.

Disagree.
Trading Parker or Hill makes very few sense. I would be really surprised if one is traded.
Future will tell who is right and who is wrong on that one...

thispego
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
im gonna have to go with bruno in this one

TimDunkem
06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
The Spurs would still need another PG. Besides, who is so great at #10 that is worth giving up Parker for?

Shastafarian
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
"Darko will dominate this league for years to come..."

Ditty
06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
supposidly it will be for a big man i didnt hear if it was for a pick or a player they didnt mention

ducks
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Parker is more likely to be traded than any of the top 4 Spurs (Duncan/Parker/Hill/Manu).

Reasons: Hill is younger and making the minimum next season. Tony is close to his 30s and will want a lot of money, pushing the Spurs into the luxury tax. It comes down to money I think. I would love to see a well rested Parker in his contract season play for the Spurs, but Im seeing TP gone as well.

ofcourse he is to you because you want hill to be the starter point guard

lcroock
Hill is not a PG, so no way does TP get traded unless we get back a proven starting PG in return. Indiana doesn't have one (Ford/Watson don't cut it). If we trade TP he'll be packaged with RJ, most likely.

Ditty
paul george and daniel orton would be a nice young duo IMO with hopefully a developed player in there that could be traded and maybe a early second round pack to maybe land a backup point guard in the second round

Blackjack
Does anyone have or know the exact language used from Ford?

He, like many in the biz, don't usually put their neck out on the line and suggest, with certainty, these kind of scenarios when it involves the Spurs . . .

Shastafarian
06-21-2010, 04:37 PM

He, like many in the biz, don't usually put their neck out on the line and suggest, with certainty, these kind of scenarios when it involves the Spurs . . .

He probably said, "I think...."

Muser
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Blackjack, you're scaring me :(.

ducks
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
hill for gasol

Phila_Chamberlain since hill is such a great point guard
lakers would do that right especially if spurs throw in rj to make the numbers work huh

ducks
06-21-2010, 04:39 PM
would spurs really need a big if they got splitter

Mr Bones
06-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Iguodala/Jrue Holiday for Parker... works for everybody. Sixers make room for Evan Turner and get an all-star PG while dumping Iggy's contract, Spurs get starting SG and young PG to platoon with Hill. Spurs would actually get younger in this deal.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I just know how these local reporters can be and how misinformed or inept their analysis of what's been said or reported can be.

But if Ford said this with certainty ... I'm gonna have to believe there's some legit fire to the smoke . . .

These guys don't historically risk putting their necks on the line when it involves the Spurs, not the respected and/or most visible ones, anyway.

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
If 1 were to be traded I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it's Hill. Obviously the Spurs know he cant run PG full time, His value is very high right now, especially after this playoff showing against Dallas, The Spurs know that blowing up the "Big 3" could result in a big time backfire. They know the big 3 is enough to make another run by putting the right pieces around them. I love GH3 and doubt either of them will be moved but I could definitely see Hill on his way out before Tony.

Muser
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I just know how these local reporters can be and how misinformed or inept their analysis of what's been said or reported can be.

But if Ford said this with certainty ... I'm gonna have to believe there's some legit fire to the smoke . . .

These guys don't historically risk putting their necks on the line when it involves the Spurs, not the respected and/or most visible ones, anyway.

You think there could be legs to the Indiana trade?

cd98
06-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Doubt either gets traded but now is the time to cash in chips, if ever.

Right now is the best value you will get for Tony Parker. In the last year of his contract, under 30, and playing at a high level. They can demand a lot in return, especially because a lot of teams are desperate for point guards.

Hill is still cheap, so I'm not sure trading him is for the best salary-cap wise. But I willl say that he is coming off a strong season. If the Spurs don't seem him as getting much better than he already is, then they could cash in on his strong season and get a nice draft spot in return. A few teams are DESPERATE for a point guard, and even though Hill is a combo, he's a better point guard than anyone in this draft, outside of Wall, of course.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
This thread is meaningless without exact language used by Ford.

Bruno
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Out of all the people on the board I would expect you to understand this from a finanical stand point. Manu was just signed to a max extension. Tim has around 22 million due to him after this season. Tony will want max extension of his own. Locking up a lot of money with only 3 player.

Spurs won't have financial trouble after 2011 because they will let RJ expire.

ducks
06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
NBA Rumor: Tony Parker To The Pacers — With only two teams left playing ball, the rumors are starting to fly. Yesterday on his weekly ESPN.com chat, Chad Ford mentioned that one scenario floating out there is San Antonio sending Tony Parker to Indiana for the No. 10 pick, Troy Murphy and Brandon Rush. Let me be clear: There is no way ...

http://ballhype.com/story/nba-rumor-tony-parker-to-the-pacers/

Blackjack
You think there could be legs to the Indiana trade?

I've made an argument and could definitely see the validity to a trade involving Hill and probably their 20 for Rush and their first-rounder, but I have a hard time believing they'd move Parker for the 10, Rush and Murphy.

If there are legs to the rumor involving Parker to Indy, I'd hope and have to think there was a third team involved.

Mr Bones
Hill's never going to get better at point if he doesn't play it. But I've always said that Hill can play point as long as Manu is on the court with him. Manu is easily the best playmaker on this Spurs roster, that includes Parker. If George Hill plays strong defense, continues his shooting and ball handling and runs point he'll be fine.

:toast

ducks
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Hill's never going to get better at point if he doesn't play it. But I've always said that Hill can play point as long as Manu is on the court with him. Manu is easily the best playmaker on this Spurs roster, that includes Parker. If George Hill plays strong defense, continues his shooting and ball handling and runs point he'll be fine.

so hill is useless if manu is not on the floor

MannyIsGod
06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Until I see language from Chad Brown saying one will be traded before Thursday and not one MAY be traded before Thursday I think this is people playing a bad game of telephone.

Cane
Anyone have ESPN insider and can check out what Ford said on his recent Trade Talk page? It was updated today :

Trade buzz growing louder

By Chad Ford
The draft is now just three days away and things are beginning to get a little bit clearer. I spent the weekend on the phone talking with various NBA executives and agents trying to get a handle on what's happening in the draft.

Here's the latest: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5310599&teamId=24&sport=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d5310599%26teamId%3d 24%26sport%3dnba

DesignatedT
NBA Rumor: Tony Parker To The Pacers — With only two teams left playing ball, the rumors are starting to fly. Yesterday on his weekly ESPN.com chat, Chad Ford mentioned that one scenario floating out there is San Antonio sending Tony Parker to Indiana for the No. 10 pick, Troy Murphy and Brandon Rush. Let me be clear: There is no way ...

http://ballhype.com/story/nba-rumor-tony-parker-to-the-pacers/

If we end up doing this I will cry. I'd rather trade Hill than Parker unless were getting the likes of like Amare in return.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
This thread is meaningless until Johnny Ludden has something to say.

rjv
06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
he stated it last night on WOAI in the manner that he was of the strong opinion that would happen. he did not state it as a certainty.

cd98
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I may be wearing my Spurs blinders, but the 10th pick seems awfully low for Tony Parker. I mean it's not as if Troy Murphy is playing that great (when he's not injured) in Indiana and Brandon Rush has been a disappointment so far.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM

Shastafarian
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I may be wearing my Spurs blinders, but the 10th pick seems awfully low for Tony Parker. I mean it's not as if Troy Murphy is playing that great (when he's not injured) in Indiana and Brandon Rush has been a disappointment so far.

Brandon Rush sucks more than Lakaluva's pet goat on a Friday night.

scottspurs
Trade buzz growing louder
June, 21, 2010
JUN 21
11:10
AM ET

By Chad Ford

Samuel Dalembert started the trade train in motion.

The draft is now just three days away and things are beginning to get a little bit clearer. I spent the weekend on the phone talking with various NBA executives and agents trying to get a handle on what's happening in the draft.

Here's the latest:

The Philadelphia 76ers and Sacramento Kings made the first big trade of the offseason last Thursday, swapping Samuel Dalembert for Andres Nocioni and Spencer Hawes. While the deal made sense for both teams (the Kings needed a shot blocker and the Sixers needed to get under the luxury tax), will there be larger ramifications in the draft?

Sources in both Philly and Sacramento said the trade won't affect their draft plans despite the fact that both teams seemed to fill needs and create new holes in the trade.

The Sixers have been strongly leaning toward taking Evan Turner with the No. 2 pick. However, the addition of Nocioni and the loss of Dalembert leaves them loaded at the wing and pretty bare on the front line. On the surface, it appears that Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins would be better fits.

For the Kings, the team had been looking at both Cousins and Greg Monroe. With the addition of Dalembert as a starting center and the loss of Nocioni, it now appears that their biggest need is at the 3, unless the Kings believe Omri Casspi or Donte Greene is ready to step in and be the starter on a winning team.

However, it looks like both teams are still locked in on their original targets.

More trade talk
The Sixers-Kings deal should be the first of many as we get closer to the draft. The Washington Wizards, Sixers, New Jersey Nets and Minnesota Timberwolves are all sending strong signals that they're keeping their picks. After that, it starts to get a little messier.

I've heard that the Kings, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks, Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Portland Trail Blazers and Denver Nuggets have all been talking about moving picks. The Kings, Pacers, Hornets and Bucks would like to trade down, while the Pistons, Grizzlies, Raptors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Blazers and Nuggets would like to move up. And if the Pacers and Hornets can't move down, they, along with the Bulls, might look to get out of the draft completely.

That's a lot to digest and here's why. All of these teams are talking to each other. Some teams are looking at three or four different scenarios with the teams above. You can expect that teams will begin narrowing choices Monday to get things done in enough time before the draft.

From what I can gather, the Pacers, Hornets, Raptors, Spurs and Thunder are the most active right now.

GMs are weighing Derrick Favors' potential this week.
We're starting to see players fall into a bit of a pecking order right now as teams try to decide who they like best at particular positions.

Here are the four hottest debates in NBA front offices at the moment:

Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins

Favors and Cousins have now met in Sacramento and Philly, and they'll be in New Jersey together Monday. In Sacramento the two worked out on the court together but didn't actually play against each other. That changed when they went to Philly, as Favors' agent gave them the green light to bang.

Things are moving back to the Sacramento model for the N.J. workout. Apparently Favors' agent complained that the workout in Philly consisted of Cousins fouling Favors on every play, so we're back to two big guys in a gym shooting jump shots.

The stakes couldn't be higher for Favors at the moment. The general consensus in Sacramento and Philly was that Cousins was much better. That makes some sense. Cousins has 47 pounds on Favors and is much more polished on the offensive end. You would expect it to be that way.

But Favors seems to be suffering from more than that. Wolves GM David Kahn ripped Favors for his lack of conditioning and doubted that he was ready for the NBA. While that certainly could have been a David Kahn smokescreen (I haven't heard feedback he was out of shape in the other two workouts), it all contributes to the narrative that Favors is getting his butt kicked by Cousins at the moment.

Ed Davis or Ekpe Udoh

Davis came into the season with all the momentum, but a so-so year combined with injuries and an underperforming Tar Heels squad hurt his stock a bit. Meanwhile, Udoh resurrected his draft stock by vastly improving at Baylor.

The two haven't gone head-to-head because Davis is still recovering from a wrist injury, but a number of teams including the Pistons, Pacers, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers and Utah Jazz are all trying to get a feel for who they'd prefer if both were on the board.

Right now, Udoh seems to have the buzz. He is more polished, is a better offensive player and has the ability to contribute right away. Davis is a better defender, is more explosive athletically and is bigger. He impressed the Jazz and Pacers in recent workouts with his improved shooting ability, but everyone knows he's a project.

The question really comes down to this: Udoh is 23, and Davis is 21, so in two years, would Davis be as good or better than Udoh is now? If the answer is yes, then the Davis is the best pick. But sometimes it's easier to take the guy you know can get some stuff done right now.

From what I can gather, I don't think Davis will slip past the Jazz at No. 9. Udoh probably won't get past the Pacers at No. 10 if they keep their pick.

Luke Babbitt, Gordon Hayward, Xavier Henry or Paul George

These four wings have all impressed in workouts, and depending on whom you talk to, you'll get a different answer on who is the best prospect. I think the range for all of them starts at No. 8 to the Clippers. The Jazz, Pacers, Hornets, Grizzlies, Bucks and Timberwolves also look to be in the mix.

Each player offers a different skill set. Babbitt may be the best scorer of the bunch and is the most NBA-ready. Henry is the best pure shooter of the group. Hayward has all the intangibles. George has the most upside (both in terms of athleticism and skills).

Each player also has a serious flaw. Babbitt lacks the lateral quickness to guard the quicker 3s in the league. Henry appears to be a bit one-dimensional. Hayward lacks strength and needs to get his shooting back on track. George lacks a great motor.

In what order will they go? It's way too early to say. If I were to handicap it right now, the Clippers are slightly leaning toward Hayward. The Jazz prefer Babbitt, while the Pacers and Grizzlies like George and the Hornets and Bucks favor Hayward.

Avery Bradley or Eric Bledsoe

Avery Bradley may be getting passed by Eric Bledsoe.
For teams looking for a point guard, the debate is really between Bradley and Bledsoe. Both players are freshmen and didn't have huge years. Bradley is a superior scorer and has good size for the position. Bledsoe is more of a true point guard and sees the floor better.
Both are considered raw and unproven, but they have tremendous athletic ability and upside. Both have been working out against each other in virtually every city before Bradley injured his ankle in Oklahoma City.

The real question for both players will come down to one spot in the lottery -- the Raptors at 13. While I've been hearing for weeks now that Bradley has the edge on Bledsoe, I had a trusted source tell me over the weekend that it may be Bledsoe who gets the nod in Toronto.

A true Insider mock draft
I'm working hard on our next Mock Draft (version 6.0) for Tuesday. But for those of you sick of hearing what I think every week, here's a pretty good alternative.

It probably doesn't surprise you to hear that most NBA teams do their own mock drafts in an effort to understand what players will be available when they are picking. They use their scouts to talk to other scouts in the league to get intel (along with reading ESPN Insider, of course) and then put a mock together.

I persuaded one of the best drafting GMs in the league to share his team's mock with me. He kindly gave me the first 20 picks. Enjoy!

1. Wizards: John Wall
2. Sixers: Evan Turner
3. Nets: Derrick Favors
4. Timberwolves: Wesley Johnson
5. Kings: DeMarcus Cousins
Note: Monroe had a terrific workout over the weekend. Sounds like Monroe and Cousins are neck and neck here.
6. Warriors: Greg Monroe
Note: Interestingly, after the positive workout, Monroe had a shaky one in Golden State on Sunday. You don't want to be outplayed by Omar Samhan when you're trying to talk a team into drafting you at No. 6. This may change.
7. Pistons: Al-Farouq Aminu
8. Clippers: Gordon Hayward
Note: If you're comparing to our Mock Draft 5.0, we have the first eight in the exact same order. From here, it changes significantly.
9. Jazz: Ed Davis
Note: I think you'll see Mock Draft 6.0 take up this suggestion. I've been hearing all week that Davis doesn't get past No. 9 if Monroe is off the board. Sorry, Luke Babbitt.
10. Pacers: Ekpe Udoh
Note: This also seems like a good bet. We've had Davis falling here for the past two weeks. But Udoh was the guy we had in Indy for our first two mock drafts.
11. Hornets: Cole Aldrich
12. Grizzlies: Luke Babbitt
13. Raptors: Eric Bledsoe
Note: That's the first major surprise I've heard so far. I've had them higher on Avery Bradley for months ... but maybe he knows something I don't.
14. Rockets: Patrick Patterson
15. Bucks: Xavier Henry
16. Timberwolves: Paul George
Note: I think this is probably too low for George. I put him here in my last mock draft but continue to hear he's strongly in the mix for the Clips, Indy and Memphis. Hard to see him sliding past all three.
17. Bulls: Damion James
18. Heat: Avery Bradley
19. Celtics: Solomon Alabi
20. Spurs: Daniel Orton
Note: The Spurs need a big man and they could rip out the heart of folks in OKC if they take Orton one pick ahead of the Thunder.

ducks
the spurs would be only offering tp for one of the top 3 in the draft

spurs should have offered manu for 2 years to a team in the top 3 slots

Cane
06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks, scottspurs :toast

Josepatches_
Parker is more likely to be traded than any of the top 4 Spurs (Duncan/Parker/Hill/Manu).

Reasons: Hill is younger and making the minimum next season. Tony is close to his 30s and will want a lot of money, pushing the Spurs into the luxury tax. It comes down to money I think. I would love to see a well rested Parker in his contract season play for the Spurs, but Im seeing TP gone as well.

This.

MannyIsGod
Why the fuck would the Spurs draft a big man when they have Splitter and Blair? God damn Chad Ford is stupid.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM

:lol

No doubt he's the best and I'd give it much more credence if this was Wojo reporting, but we don't usually here from Ludden before the fact. I think that's why he allows Wojo to report the legitimate rumblings more often -- Johnny's smart about not alienating his sources.

Cane
06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Why the fuck would the Spurs draft a big man when they have Splitter and Blair? God damn Chad Ford is stupid.

Blair's undersized and the Spurs still don't have an athletic shotblocker. Spurs seem to have no real answer for guys like Odom and Amar'e with that roster.

ducks
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
enought to trade tp the point guard?

you get a hell alot weaker at point trading tp

ducks
06-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Still not seeing what I am saying here.

spurs proved to fans they are not afraid to spend see last offseason

cd98

One, you can never have enough big men, especially against the Lakers (ask Boston).

Two, big men get you better players in trades because quality big men are harder to get.

Blackjack
Still not seeing what I am saying here.

Maybe you should try a different color of type?

How 'bout dis?

ducks
06-21-2010, 05:04 PM
One, you can never have enough big men, especially against the Lakers (ask Boston).

Two, big men get you better players in trades because quality big men are harder to get.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

You can definitely have too many big men when you're the Spurs and you can't spread the floor to save your life.

Have people already forgotten the phoenix series?

cd98
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Right. But I think the Spurs logic is that Manu can run the team better on offense and Hill can guard point guards better on defense.

Sure I'd hate to see TP, one of if not the best scorers in the paint, but if they could land another young big that could become a star (even if not a superstar), then I think they could get by with what they have at point.

Shastafarian
06-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe the Spurs are convinced you don't need a great PG to win a title.

Cane
06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Listening to the ESPN radio show right now and they just re-mentioned Ford saying that the Spurs are shipping out Hill or Parker. The hosts are saying that they're not sure they believe Ford because its the CIA Spurs we're talking about; "you just never know with the SA Spurs". "Did you see George Hill coming; a guy that wasn't in the national draft guide? Or DeJuan Blair?"

"Expect the unexpected. The Spurs aren't going to tip their hand."

Online feed http://www.1250zone.com/

AFBlue
06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Just because Parker is the most likely of the Spurs' main players to be traded, doesn't mean he will be. I put the odds of this happening at less than 10%.

rascal
06-21-2010, 05:09 PM
would spurs really need a big if they got splitter

Yes the spurs need to add two players on the frontline and get rid of Bonner and push McDyess to the 4th big.

Ginobili2Duncan
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Man I hope this isn't true. Hill has become one of my favorite players on the roster, and Parker is one of the premier PG's in the league. The Spurs' FO obviously knows more than I do, so if they think it is better for the team to have one of the 2 guards then I'm behind them 100%. But, I would rather keep them both.

cd98
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM

I guess you could look at the Lakers. Fisher is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Kobe handled the ball and basically ran the point in the triangle offense. It was enough to win a title, albeit barely.

scottspurs
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Everyone has been speculating that the Spurs could possibly trade up to 2, 3, or 10, but I think the Kings pick at 5 and the Warriors at 6 could make sense if the draft were to turn out a certain way and they wanted out.

If the spurs really are looking for a big man you would have to think they are looking for more of an upgrade rather than just having a roster full of big men. Maybe a deal not only involving just Hill/Parker, but also adding Blair/Mcdyess for a big man the spurs believe is better.

I think the spurs understand the key to the West is to have enough big men to compete with the Lakers. Duncan/Splitter plus a young athletic big is a good start.

rjv
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
the spurs would be only offering tp for one of the top 3 in the draft

spurs should have offered manu for 2 years to a team in the top 3 slots

well where would be if we did not get the gratuitous ducks "get rid of manu" post ?

xtremesteven33
I would rather keep Hill than Parker at this point. Parker is potential all star player but we just need to shake things up to be frank. We had our run with him at the point and hes never been a dominant PG, like DWILL or CP3 so now I think its time to try things different.

Look at the Lakers. They dont have a dominant PG but they were able to win a championship. If you can get a team together who can space the floor and players who can contribute at a high level than you have a chance at a title. Manu is like the Spurs PG in alot of ways already and George can hit the 3 on a consistent basis. Something Parker hasnt been able to develop. Im all for trading Parker if we can get equal talent in return.

cd98
Just because Parker is the most likely of the Spurs' main players to be traded, doesn't mean he will be. I put the odds of this happening at less than 10%.

Agreed. I hope it takes a "knock your socks off" offer. For me, that is only a top 3 pick. You won't get there with Indiana's package. Maybe if there is a three way deal.

Cane
06-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I guess you could look at the Lakers. Fisher is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Kobe handled the ball and basically ran the point in the triangle offense. It was enough to win a title, albeit barely.

Yea, not to mention that the Spurs most impressive run in the regular season was with Ginobili, Hill, and Temple running the point (Parker injured) when they went on that crazy schedule and won against the top teams of the league.

That probably helped open up their potential trading outlooks.

xtremesteven33
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Plus Im really high on Temple. This guy is gonna be a damn good player. At least a backup PG.

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I would rather keep Hill than Parker at this point. Parker is potential all star player but we just need to shake things up to be frank. We had our run with him at the point and hes never been a dominant PG, like DWILL or CP3 so now I think its time to try things different.

Look at the Lakers. They dont have a dominant PG but they were able to win a championship. If you can get a team together who can space the floor and players who can contribute at a high level than you have a chance at a title. Manu is like the Spurs PG in alot of ways already and George can hit the 3 on a consistent basis. Something Parker hasnt been able to develop. Im all for trading Parker if we can get equal talent in return.

That a big if. I haven't seen one rumor giving us back equal talent. Tony is vastly underrated by spurs fans.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 05:18 PM

I agree Phila,

If this rumor does have legs, I see Parker being the one traded for the reasons you mentioned.

Muser
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Plus Im really high on Temple. This guy is gonna be a damn good player. At least a backup PG.

I agree with this, Spurs should sign him up ASAP.

ducks
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
enough to ship hill out?

Vic Petro
06-21-2010, 05:28 PM
I think Hill is the one that's gone, but assuming equal value in return you'd have to think trading Tony makes more sense. At the end of the day it scares me to death to have the Spurs built around an early 30's PG with declining quickness. Especially when said PG's whole game is predicated on quickness.

cd98
06-21-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree Phila,

If this rumor does have legs, I see Parker being the one traded for the reasons you mentioned.

Also, Parker is the only one that will get you a high draft pick. Hill may get you top 15, but not top 5.

06-21-2010, 05:32 PM
if it's parker, it better be for someone good, like an all star in return. if it's for murphy, rush, and the number 10 pick, someone is going to be fired when the spurs tank it.

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll give up Parker for Harris and the #3, not for Murphy and the #10. That's like tanking the season.

Muser
06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Harris? Eww.

ploto
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I see no reason why the Spurs would trade Hill when he is as cheap as he is unless it is to dump RJ.

Vic Petro
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll give up Parker for Harris and the #3, not for Murphy and the #10. That's like tanking the season.

This.

Although tanking the season has worked for us before. :lol

Hooks
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Neither will be traded, no Parker=No PG.

Hill fits the Spurs very well, great attitude, he's cheap, and it looks like next year will be his breakout year. I can see Hill scoring around 16PPG next season, he's a hard worker so I have no doubt he'll be a much more efficient shooter.

Cane
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I think the deals will either be Parker for #3 or Hill for #10; plus other assets depending on what the Nets and Indiana want.

baseline bum
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Chad Ford also was 100% sure Darko would be better than LeBron.

pjjrfan
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
If we trade Tony we better get some serious talent in return, cause while Tony had an off year, mostly due to injuries, this is a high level talented guy who brings a lot to the court when he is healthy and on his game. I love Hill, but Tony has been doing his thing for a long time and doing it well, and he is in his prime, Hill has yet to dominate for a whole season, and he had a horrible melt down against the Suns. Whatever else you can say about Tony when it mattered most the guy came through, he played well once he settled down in 03, he was up and down in 05 but when Beno choked Tony ran the team as well as any point guard can and of course in 07 the guy just killed everyone and was a monster in the finals. These things don't just happen, Tony has monster talent, the Spurs better make a deal that will make sense. Losing him for a draft pick with potential doesn't make sense to me.

Spurs Brazil
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree with Bruno, I don't see any of those two being traded

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Chad Ford also was 100% sure Darko would be better than LeBron.

That's him evaluating talent ( which is all opinion).

This is a different circumstance.

BackHome
06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree. I do not think that there is an impact player in this draft that can help the Spurs win a championship. But Harris is only slightly worse than Parker and his value is down because he played on the Nets. If the Spurs drafted Favors then I really think he would help in terms of being that athletic big man the Spurs have been looking for.

+1 You have him playing with Duncan and Splitter and our defense gets soooo much better.

I am ok with either of these two options:

1. Trade Tony to New Jersey for Harris and draft either Cousins or Favors. "No way in HELL we trade Tony for 10th pick"

2. Swap first round and second round picks to the Pacers for George Hill. We draft SF Paul George with the 10th pick and a center Art Parkakhouski in the second round.

I do think that money is going to play a part in that the new CBA agrement will lower the cap probably by 5 to 10 mill.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
If we trade hill or blair i will slap somebody for being stupid, and this aint no bandwagon shit ive been a spurs fan all my life. Parker has been great for us but its over no matter what he wont be with us next year, so why not trade him we need to look at the future. BUMP this post 5 years from now george hill will be one of the best spurs point guard ever.

baseline bum
06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
If you're going to trade Parker, thus blowing up the team, you might as well trade Duncan and Ginobili also.

DPG21920
Chad Ford has never broken Spurs news.

1) The trade with the Pacers makes no sense on any level

2) I see Hill gone before TP

3) I would be absolutely shocked if one of the two mentioned are traded, and I would be stunned if it was for the mentioned package from Indy.

spursfan1000
If we do trade one I hope its Parker, we can get more for him and he is almost in his 30's

m33p0
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
doesn't make any sense. if the Spurs do trade Tony or George, then they'll be trading also for a point guard given that the team will be a point guard short.

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Also, think logically. Spurs won't trade both. If Ford is saying either will be traded, then that is two very, very different packages that would have to be in place due to the huge money difference between the two.

That is a pretty big swing from Ford.

TD 21
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM

My thoughts exactly. If Ford said exactly what the title of this thread says, then he must be certain or at least as close to certain as someone in his position can get.

There's been too much smoke in terms of the Spurs desperately trying to move up to not think that there might be some fire at this point.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
2) I see Hill gone before TP

?... how the fuck are we going to pay parker? he will be gone next year no matter what....

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
?... how the fuck are we going to pay parker? he will be gone next year no matter what....

Very easily. The same way they paid Ginobili. RJ will be off the books. I don't see the Spurs paying an older, more injured Ginobili without plans of paying TP.

06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
i thought of another reason why it's unlikely for parker to go to the pacers. the pacers will obviously know parker's contract is expiring and that parker has no intention to stay in indiana. unless they plan on paying him quite a lot of in the near max range, then they will stay away from him.

ducks
06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=baseline bum;4437243]If you're going to trade Parker, thus blowing up the team, you might as well trade Duncan and Ginobili also.[/QUOTE
I agree trading tp makes no sence since you extended manu

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Spurs would have a monster hole a PG if they trade TP. I honestly don't see a package for TP that makes sense unless they are really looking toward the future.

If they are looking at winning this year, they would have to get a legit ball handler in the trade.

clubalien
06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

fans recall that our best championship team had AJ as apoinjt guard
not the most elite point guard.

Ofcourse that team did have the best spur player in all of spurs history in david robinson

but it does prove that

ian+ another halloffame player might be enough to win a ring
ofcourse
splitter could be manu 2.0

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Chad Ford has never broken Spurs news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/breaking-richard-jefferson-to-spurs/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080626
(Even though it didn't happen, this would have been the situation had Pritchard not pulled a quickie) *Read "the skinny" on the 26th pick*

1) Trading Parker makes no sense on any level.

Tony is close to his 30s and will want a lot of money, pushing the Spurs into the luxury tax. It comes down to money I think. I would love to see a well rested Parker in his contract season play for the Spurs, but Im seeing TP gone as well.

06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
my parker trade would be:

parker + 20th for jarret jack + belinelli + 13th pick.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
my parker trade would be:

parker + 20th for jarret jack + belinelli + 13th pick.

:vomit:

06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
:vomit:

lol, i originally included derozan, but figured the raptors would rather kill themselves. i also forgot to take away the 20th pick after i removed derozan.

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/breaking-richard-jefferson-to-spurs/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080626
(Even though it didn't happen, this would have been the situation had Pritchard not pulled a quickie) *Read "the skinny" on the 26th pick*

The RJ trade was discussed by plenty of pundits. He did not break the trade as he would be doing here. He might have reported it first after it was done, but in this case he is the first one really saying a deal "will" be done.

By break the news, I mean having insider info before the fact.

Many people knew we were targeting Batum as well.

I get Phila's logic, but I still think that is a stretch and I still don't think it makes sense (especially if it is for Indy's package.)

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I think the Pacers trade is just as bad. Sure Murphy might have some more talent, but he is a very bad defender, Rush is ok and that pick is not too much worse in value imo. Both trades are terrible.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 06:40 PM
If...

http://rentoid.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/price-is-right.jpg

.....I'd trade Parker.

The way Hill lead the team at the point guard position and got the team rolling in the right direction at the end of the season makes me confident in his ability to run the team. (Even if he isn't as good as Parker.) There's a chance Parker leaves the Spurs for more money next summer, leaving the Spurs empty handed. Spurs have to be shopping him around right now for that reason. I don't like the Indiana proposal with Murphy Rush and the 10th pick, but I'd trade Parker if the price is right elsewhere.

SpursTillTheEnd
06-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Temple will be a good back up pg for the spurs..

baseline bum
06-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Parker for a draft pick any lower than 2 would be ridiculous, unless the Spurs are just clearing shop and going into full rebuild mode right now.

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
If...

.....I'd trade Parker.

The way Hill lead the team at the point guard position and got the team rolling in the right direction at the end of the season makes me confident in his ability to run the team. (Even if he isn't as good as Parker.) There's a chance Parker leaves the Spurs for more money next summer, leaving the Spurs empty handed. Spurs have to be shopping him around right now for that reason. I don't like the Indiana proposal with Murphy Rush and the 10th pick, but I'd trade Parker if the price is right elsewhere.

Sure, I think most agree with that (not the Hill part, but the right package). Problem is, there is not very many packages that seem feasible.

Muser
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Parker for a draft pick any lower than 2 would be ridiculous, unless the Spurs are just clearing shop and going into full rebuild mode right now.

:tu

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Minnesota offering Jonny Flynn and two first-round picks (16 and 23) to Indiana for a package that includes the 10th pick, sources tell Y!

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/16729358922

scottspurs
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Indiana could potentially fill a lot of holes with that trade.

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Chad ford did break the RJ trade, but then it was the day the trade happened.

The only thing is that everyone is saying what a hole the Spurs will have at the point guard. It depends on what the Spurs are trading for really. Any Indy trade that doesn't include T.J. Ford and Granger, on top of that 10th pick will not happen. Plus I don't think that can work out numbers wise.

I personally think that Tony Parker to the Nets for the trade we have talked about works out very well. TP is a much better draw to LeBron than Harris and the third pick. Who better to team up with than the player who out played you in the 2007 finals? On top of that the Russian guy doesn't mind spending money.

He broke it by reporting the deal done, but many around here knew RC was working on that deal for a long, long time. Right now, no one is coming out and saying the Spurs will trade, except Ford. That is what I mean. He does not have a beat on the Spurs.

TJ Ford, no thanks. I agree the Nets deal is a better deal, but I don't see it happening.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Make room for Rubio?

I'm assuming Indiana would part ways with Rush, A.J Price and the 10th for Flynn, the 16th and the 23rd.

Minnesota must really want to make sure they grab Paul George with the 10th after they select Wes Johnson with the 4th. (Great future at the SF and SG) and they get good back ups in Rush and AJ Price (behind Rubio if he comes over).

Indiana gets their point guard in Flynn and two first rounders to build on.

Think its a win- win for both. IMO

Muser
06-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Damn, good trade for Indy.

Spurologist
06-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Fuck all this trade parker bullshit

06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
wtf? that makes no sense. flynn was a number 6 pick last year and played decently. he alone should be worth the 10th pick.

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Make room for Rubio?

I'm assuming Indiana would part ways with Rush, A.J Price and the 10th for Flynn, the 16th and the 23rd.

Minnesota must really want to make sure they grab Paul George with the 10th after they select Wes Johnson with the 4th. (Great future at the SF and SG) and they get good back ups in Rush and AJ Price (behind Rubio if he comes over).

Indiana gets their point guard in Flynn and two first rounders to build on.

Think its a win- win for both. IMO

Really? I think Indy wins big time in terms of value. Essentially last years 6th pick, this years 16th and 23rd for this years 10th?

cd98
06-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Minn GM sucks. Trading Flynn after one season is showing that they blew it twice in the lottery last year. And 2 First round picks for a ten? Horrible.

RC please get on the phone and rob Minn. blind before LA does.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Really? I think Indy wins big time in terms of value. Essentially last years 6th pick, this years 16th and 23rd for this years 10th?

Yeah I do.. IMO of course.

Where Flynn got picked last year has no weight on his value anymore as a player.

They may see Flynn as a starter, but they might not value his ability as a potential All-Star (which I don't blame them; Flynn didn't really blow me away).

On the other hand Minnesota may value Paul George's ability as a player with a higher ceiling than Flynn. With the assumed addition of Rubio, Flynn becomes expendable and George's potential and the addition of Rubio is what outweighs Flynn's value as a player (not where he was drafted.) IMO

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I get that, but you would think the 16th and 23rd would probably be enough for 10th or close to it imo. To throw in Flynn, after only one year is a bit of a reach. While his draft spot might not have a direct bearing, it should have some after a decent year.

There is also a lot of complications with Rubio to Minny it seems. He does not seem like he wants to be there.

J_Paco
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Dude, they still own Parker's Bird Rights. They can offer him more money than anyone else can next summer. I'm sure they be going through negotiations during the season and will extend him at some point. Like Baseline Bum said, if they trade Parker then they're conceding that the team is no longer a championship material. A rookie with potential isn't going to push the team to a championship, but a healthy, focused Parker can/has.

Vic Petro
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
While I'm open to discussing Flynn, I'm not trading him and two draft picks for #10. That rat bastard Kahn failed to run this deal by ownership and I will fire him as a result.

TD 21
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah I do.. IMO of course.

Where Flynn got picked last year has no weight on his value anymore as a player.

They may see Flynn as a starter, but they might not value his ability as a potential All-Star (which I don't blame them; Flynn didn't really blow me away).

On the other hand Minnesota may value Paul George's ability as a player with a higher ceiling than Flynn. With the assumed addition of Rubio, Flynn becomes expendable and George's potential and the addition of Rubio is what outweighs Flynn's value as a player (not where he was drafted.) IMO

To be fair to the Timberwolves, assuming this rumor is true, is says "a package that includes the 10th pick"; not strictly the 10th pick.

You're one of the few that's picked up on that. I agree with you that Rush and Price are probably in play and that it would be a good trade for the Timberwolves. I'm not sold on Price being a credible backup, but he's worth a look for a team like the Timberwolves. Meanwhile, with Johnson, George and Rush, they'd go from having the worst wing situation in the league to being set up nicely on the wings long term.

DPG21920, Flynn may have been the sixth pick, but is he really a true sixth pick? I don't think he is. He only has one season under his belt, but I agree with Thorpe, I think he's ultimately best suited to be a sixth man/explosive bench scorer. Maybe a lower tier starter, but not a franchise point guard and top three building block on a roster. I don't see him as being the long term answer at point guard for the Pacers. He's essentially a younger Ford.

Brazil
06-21-2010, 07:24 PM
If the spurs want to win another one before Tim retires, they never would trade TP

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 07:26 PM
To be fair to the Timberwolves, assuming this rumor is true, is says "a package that includes the 10th pick"; it's not strictly the 10th pick.

MaNu4Tres is one of the few that's picked up on that. I agree with you that Rush and Price are probably in play and that it would be a good trade for the Timberwolves. I'm not sold on Price being a credible backup, but he's worth a look for a team like the Timberwolves. Meanwhile, with Johnson, George and Rush, they'd go from having the worst wing situation in the league to being set up nicely on the wings long term.

DPG21920, Flynn may have been the sixth pick, but is he really a true sixth pick? I don't think he is. He only has one season under his belt, but I agree with Thorpe, I think he's ultimately best suited to be a sixth man/explosive scorer. Maybe a lower tier starter, but not a franchise point guard and top three-four building block on a roster. I don't see him as being the long term answer at point guard for the Pacers. He's essentially a younger Ford.

Minny does not even have any bad contracts to unload. I know last year, they were trying to get Granger for Al, but Indy shot that down. Maybe they will try to re-work this by doing some sort of trade as mentioned?

I said this in another thread, so maybe this? Even take Flynn out of the equation, the 16th and the 23rd is still pretty good value for the 10th in this years draft imo.

Who knows.

But we will all see in the next few days what will happen. Lots of rumors, less logic & even less action normally. Some of these things do make sense logically, but who knows what is real or not.

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I hope there's some legs behind this Minnesota and Indiana rumor.

Which would guarantee us not seeing Murphy in a Spurs jersey (*spits*) at the expense of our All-Star point guard. (Even if the deal includes the 10th and Rush).

DesignatedT
06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I hope there's some legs behind this Minnesota and Indiana rumor.

Which would guarantee us not seeing Murphy in a Spurs jersey (*spits*) at the expense of our All-Star point guard. (Even if the deal includes the 10th and Rush).

Agreed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Parker for the right top echelon player makes some sense, but I think Bruno is right - Parker is going nowhere. Parker is too good when healthy to give away, and now that Manu has been re-signed, I doubt the Big 3 will be broken up before Tim retires.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
PS There has been some mention of Rubio in this thread - my bet is that he will be the Fakers' starting PG within 3 years. Watch and learn. :lol

DPG21920
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Minn has already turned down the deal.

Link?

SenorSpur
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Parker for the right top echelon player makes some sense, but I think Bruno is right - Parker is going nowhere. Parker is too good when healthy to give away, and now that Manu has been re-signed, I doubt the Big 3 will be broken up before Tim retires.

I certainly understand the TP trade rumors and the Spurs FO is definitely within their right to have conversations about his value. Same for George Hill too, for that matter. Because of the money situation surrounding TP, it makes sense that most of the buzz is coming about him. Hell, the opportunity to obtain a player like Derrick Favors is definitely worth exploring.

In the end, I think any trade possibilities with the the Nets are probably much do about nothing. Nets GM, Rod Thorn, is a shrewd executive and he's notorious for attempting to fleece trade partners. Look what happened to the Mavs in the Jason Kidd trade. Look at the Vince Carter trade last summer. THe Nets got the best of both deals, and it's as much the fault of the desparate GMs as anything else.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to think that Thorn, and the Nets FO, would probably want the Spurs to include another player like Blair, and then try and swap 1st round picks or perhaps even want another pick in future years. RC is too smart to simply give Parker away. That said, I don't see how the Spurs will be able to get value in return for him.

As Phila stated, TP is a bonafide great player. He's 3-time NBA champion, Finals MVP, and a sure-fire HOF player. Whatever team that wants him will have to "bring it". I agree with those that proclaimed unless the Spurs can get a top 3 pick for TP, plus an impact player from the Nets, while retaining their own pick - it aint worth it.

Parker means so much to this organization. While I'd still like for the Spurs to move up in the draft, they MUST get value in return for TP. The price has to be right.

objective
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM

I thought the same thing for weeks, but here we are 3 days from the draft and Splitter is still telling the media he hasn't made up his mind yet. I thought it would be settled by now, but it isn't.

If the Spurs still don't have an answer from Splitter by Thursday that pretty much puts everything on the table as far as bigs in the draft, either at 20 or by moving up.

This is Splitter we're talking about. The dude went out of his way to commit to coming over in 2008 to the point of visiting San Antonio and holding a press conference. That didn't prevent him from jacking the Spurs. And as far as news to the public has been broken, the only big name Spur official who's even worked on Splitter this month has been Bud. Way to break out the big guns to win him over.

No Splitter news breaking by Thursday, I would even expect the Spurs to have to go big to cover themselves.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Dude, they still own Parker's Bird Rights. They can offer him more money than anyone else can next summer. I'm sure they be going through negotiations during the season and will extend him at some point. Like Baseline Bum said, if they trade Parker then they're conceding that the team is no longer a championship material. A rookie with potential isn't going to push the team to a championship, but a healthy, focused Parker can/has.

Um, it's not about having his rights. It's about the cap hit (and luxury tax) from signing him to a max deal.

objective
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree but I think he is coming over they just dont want to let it out of the bad for some reason. I still think the spurs will draft a big if we grab another pick.

TD Splitter, Alabi, Blair gives you some of everything....Udoh TD Blair Splitter a bit smaller but again looks real nice on paper.

I think we want to get in the 10-12 range to grab Henry or George and will use the second pick on a pg/or C

The Spurs might try to keep it quiet but they couldn't do anything about leaks in Brazil or Europe. At the least Caja Laboral would be notified by Splitter and word would leak from there to the Euro media. And I'm sure there would be leaks in the Brazillian press from Splitter's friends and national team associates.

If a deal was done, I'm confident we would know in short order.

IknowU
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
If spurs want a big post presence. Why not just go ask minnesota if they will deal Jefferson/Rubio for Jefferson/Blair/Bonner or Parker/Bonner + draft picks?

MaNu4Tres
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
My boy just told me, espn Chad Ford blasting it......hoops hype now has it up.

Hoopshype actually has had it up since 6:40 (central time).

Ocotillo
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Good point, why announce before the draft if Splitter is coming? Leave the other teams guessing as to what direction you are going draft day. A Splitter signing could tip their hand and make it tougher to make a draft day deal.

vander
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
ooh I hope this rumor is true, if we could get a pick in the 7-12 range for Parker that would be fantastic

ploto
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
According to Pacers beat writer Mike Wells.

http://twitter.com/Wells222/statuses/16717504409

Wells222 wrote:
T-Wolves turn down Pacers offer of the 10th pick for PG Jonny Flynn

spursfan09
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Tony Parker gives me a lot of hope, when he's healthy and rested. If he leaves we better get someone way better than he is. If they trade him we don't stand a chance otherwise.

UnWantedTheory
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM

They are dominant in other ways that we wont be. Its not just that they have the size, but the talent of that size.

objective
06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Good point, why announce before the draft if Splitter is coming? Leave the other teams guessing as to what direction you are going draft day. A Splitter signing could tip their hand and make it tougher to make a draft day deal.

It wouldn't be the Spurs announcing, it would be leaks overseas. Teams like Caja and the Euro teams that would be willing to bid for Splitter and pay the mandatory higher-for-euro-squads buyouts would know and then adjust their plans. The Brazilian national team who Splitter is planning to play for in Turkey would know.

cd98
06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
If we are going to trade Parker, couldn't we do it for a package that includes Paul, who appears to be on the block per Real GM?

duncan228
06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
If we are going to trade Parker, couldn't we do it for a package that includes Paul, who appears to be on the block per Real GM?

The Chris Paul story.

Hornets’ Paul draws interest as draft nears (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-paulhornets062110)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156953

BackHome
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I just love this time of the year all the rumors getting all the juices stirred up! But hardly any rumors ever become reality the only way I see the Spurs trading parker is if Splitter doesn't come over.

In the end I think no trades will be made and Splitter end up comming over and we draft Damion James then getting a big in the second round.

EmptyMan
06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
If Spurs get rid of Hill I will be sad :(

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I doubt it will happen but I think it should happen.

Parker and Hill creates a logjam. They're both scorers put in PG bodies. This doesn't help balance the needs of our team.

Reasons for not trading Parker: he's going to be rested and playing to regain his stature and get another contract. If the FO thinks they have one more possible year to get a ring, then it makes sense to keep Parker. Also, I don't know who would really trade for Parker unless they think he will stick around, but there's NO guarantees of that.

Reasons for trading Hill: his stock is at it's highest right now. This is the perfect time to move him, just like how we should have moved Mason when we had the chance. Hill will never descend to the depths of Mason, but I don't think he's going to ever be much better than he is. Maybe on another team, but on the Spurs I think we're seeing just about 90% of who he is going to be. And if other teams are high on him, and we can package him to get a player the FO really wants, then I think we have to do it. He's one of our few tradeable assets. If a good deal comes along, then we pull the trigger. Besides he'll be better off on another team where he'll get more responsibility and minutes.

TD 21
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Just listened to Ford on ESPN radio and he says that there's a "pretty good chance" that the Spurs trade Parker or Hill by Thursday. He didn't say "will be".

Thompson
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
In the end I think no trades will be made and Splitter end up comming over and we draft Damion James then getting a big in the second round.

Do you think any big we could get in the 2nd round would be better than Ian, who already has 2-3 years in the Spurs' system (assuming Pop will actually play him)? Especially if we're in a 'win now' mode, I think we should retain Ian.

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Sometimes I think no matter what we tell ourselves we're already in a rebuilding mode. These young players we draft - who says Pop will really play them? Or if they even are ready to play?

"Rebuilding" doesn't sell tickets. That's why I don't see them trading Parker. Hill, I think, is a better possibility.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Just listened to Ford on ESPN radio and he says that there's a "pretty good chance" that the Spurs trade Parker or Hill by Thursday. He didn't say "will be".

:tu

tdunk21
06-21-2010, 09:57 PM
:bang:bang:bang:bang

DAF86
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, could you tell me if there's a romour of who/what we may trade them for? I don't see a scenario were the Spurs get better by trading Parker unless we get a Chris Paul kind of guy.

Russ
06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Not to belabor the obvious, but you don't trade Tony Parker for a draft pick.

baseline bum
06-21-2010, 10:36 PM
To give an idea about how stupid it is to give away Tony Parker for a #10 pick, these are the #1 picks of the last 10 years who I would take Parker over:

Kenyon Martin 2000
Kwame Brown 2001
Yao Ming 2002
Andrew Bogut 2005 (this one's kind of borderline IMO)
Andrea Barngnani 2006
Greg Oden 2007

Thompson
06-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Not to belabor the obvious, but you don't trade Tony Parker for a draft pick.

Devin Harris and the #3 (Derrick Favors)? New Jersey probably wouldn't do it, but who knows. Maybe if we add DeJuan Blair (I'd hate to lose him, but if we're getting Favors back anyway I don't know how much PT we'd have for him).

SenorSpur
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
ofcourse he is to you because you want hill to be the starter point guard

Devin Harris and the #3 (Derrick Favors)? New Jersey probably wouldn't do it, but who knows. Maybe if we add DeJuan Blair (I'd hate to lose him, but if we're getting Favors back anyway I don't know how much PT we'd have for him).

Bullshit! I wouldn't give up Blair. He's was a 2nd round steal and is on a cheap contract. IF the Nets/Spurs want to get that deal done, they can do so without any extra sweetners for the Nets.

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Bullshit! I wouldn't give up Blair. He's was a 2nd round steal and is on a cheap contract. IF the Nets/Spurs want to get that deal done, they can do so without any extra sweetners for the Nets.

Uh no. Parker + Blair for Favors + Harris is still a good deal.

G-Dawgg
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Good... we got the best years outta Parker already anyways, it's all down hill from here for him. Spurs don't like paying luxury tax and trading Parker would be the only way to manage that. -Like it or not thats the reality of it now swallow it cuz it's very likely to happen you homers... Bring on Derrick Favors or Ed Davis or whoever the hell is coming. Just send Parker away cuz our team chemistry was alot better when he was on the bench anyways.

Chieflion
06-21-2010, 11:01 PM
The above post is going to generate 10 pages of argument.

spurs10
06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
I just love this time of the year all the rumors getting all the juices stirred up! But hardly any rumors ever become reality the only way I see the Spurs trading parker is if Splitter doesn't come over.

About right!

ducks
06-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Good... we got the best years outta Parker already anyways, it's all down hill from here for him. Spurs don't like paying luxury tax and trading Parker would be the only way to manage that. -Like it or not thats the reality of it now swallow it cuz it's very likely to happen you homers... Bring on Derrick Favors or Ed Davis or whoever the hell is coming. Just send Parker away cuz our team chemistry was alot better when he was on the bench anyways.

did you watch the spurs with tp

favors is out of basketball shape doing his workouts for teams now

means he has no work ethic at all

AnthonyM
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Just for clarification...Chad Ford's words exactly on Sports Sunday..."Talking to the teams around the league I think there is a definite feeling if they (Spurs) can get into the top ten they would consider that and yeah my guess is by the end of the draft one of those two (Parker or Hill) are off the team and the spurs have a pick in the top ten and they can start the rebuilding process"

DAF86
06-21-2010, 11:17 PM

We wouldn't have beaten the Mavs without TP.

EricD
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Spurs need someone who spreads the floor.

With Bonner gone, Murphy makes sense. Pop has to have a spread 4 at any cost.

Parker for Murphy and Rush and hopefully the 10th pick.

:cheergive me an S...

AFBlue
06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Just for clarification...Chad Ford's words exactly on Sports Sunday..."Talking to the teams around the league I think there is a definite feeling if they (Spurs) can get into the top ten they would consider that and yeah my guess is by the end of the draft one of those two (Parker or Hill) are off the team and the spurs have a pick in the top ten and they can start the rebuilding process"

Spurs will not start the rebuilding process until Tim and Manu no longer wear silver and black. That's why I don't think either is getting traded.

TJastal
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
if it's parker, it better be for someone good, like an all star in return. if it's for murphy, rush, and the number 10 pick, someone is going to be fired when the spurs tank it.

I don't know why people are knocking this Indiana trade. Murphy is alot better than most here realize (100X better than Bonner).

He's a very very talented big man who could easily accomplish what Bonner could not (space the floor while still providing good rebounding/defense).

Rush and the #10 would just be the icing on the cake .. IMO the pacers would have to be the crazy ones to do this trade.

arakkus
06-21-2010, 11:36 PM
If we are going to trade parker, I definatly want value.

I say grill Toronto for trade:

Parker + RJ for Bosh and take turk off there hands

Bosh gets a max contract on a good team where he can be the new leader and Duncan can gracefully glide into sunset slowly giving up leadership role Like Robinson did.

TJastal
06-21-2010, 11:44 PM

This is what I've been saying for almost 2 years on this forum now and getting excoriated and mocked by the homers. Holt is not going to pony up max money (90+ mil/5 yr contract) on a guy who did better coming off the bench for the latter stages of the season. TP as 6th man was defenitely a luxury to have no doubt but Holt is simply not going to pay that much.

EricD
06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't know why people are knocking this Indiana trade. Murphy is alot better than most here realize (100X better than Bonner).

He's a very very talented big man who could easily accomplish what Bonner could not (space the floor while still providing good rebounding/defense).

Rush and the #10 would just be the icing on the cake .. IMO the pacers would have to be the crazy ones to do this trade.

Spurs have to have someone to spread the floor at Center. Horry did it then he passed the spread the floor medal to Bonner, now Boner is going to be gone so he can pass the medal to Murphy.

Spreading the floor gives Tim room, without room Tim can't score. He needs room.

Parker for Murphy and Rush and hopefully the 10th would be icing on the cake.

Plus Parker is a ball hog. Ball hogging doesn't win games.

Russ
06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

Plus Parker is a ball hog. Ball hogging doesn't win games.

Let's see, who has won three of the last four Finals MVPs?

TJastal
06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
We wouldn't have beaten the Mavs without TP.

We wouldn't have beaten the mavs if Jim Carrey had played Beabois throughout the whole series, either.

EricD
06-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Let's see, who has won three of the last four Finals MVPs?

:rolleyes

Murphy is very underrated. Him being able to spread the floor gives Tim room. Without Tim Spurs are nothing. Why do you think Bonner and Horry played so much???

Get a clue

Spursfanfromafar
06-21-2010, 11:52 PM
None will be traded. Trust me on that.

I second. Foolish to trade 1 of the two decent point guards in the team; unless they do a blockbuster and get a durable star in return.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Spurs will not start the rebuilding process until Tim and Manu no longer wear silver and black. That's why I don't think either is getting traded.

If you think about it, it is a rebuilding process as the players coming in are the ones they want to help build around as Tim and Manu eventually retire in a couple of seasons.

TJastal
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Paul needs athletic bigs who can finish his myriad of dump offs and alley oops to get the max effectiveness out of him.

Duncan and his 2 inch vertical does not fit with Chris Paul's game in any way, shape or form.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
If Chad Ford thinks they would do this to rebuild the he's out of his mind. As long as Tim Duncan is playing there is no rebuilding process for the front office.

scottspurs
06-22-2010, 12:04 AM
When the dust settles and the smoke clears or whatever I don't think tony parker or george hill will be traded, but just in case I got on trade machine and went through picks 2-11 and found trades with each team that are somewhat realistic and I would be happy with. I believe there are only a couple of players I would trade either for if the price is right.

Pick #2: Spurs trade Tony Parker, #20, 2011 1st, 2013 1st and Antonio Mcdyess to 76ers for #2, Elton Brand and Lou Williams

Spurs get the young athletic big they are looking for in Favors and a backup point without giving up Splitter. 76ers get rid of Brand's contract and get Tony Parker who would thrive in the Eastern Conference giving the 76ers a player they can build around. They also get a boatload of draft picks for now and the future. If they can clear enough cap space by the July, 1, 2011 maybe they can make a run at Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant.

Pick #3: Spurs trade Tony Parker, #20, 2011 1st, and 2013 1st to Nets for #3, Devin Harris and Keyon Dooling

Spurs once again get Favors and can leave Hill at 2-guard because of Harris. Nets get Tony Parker who could entice a top free agent to come to New Jersey. Also a boatload of picks.

Pick #4: Spurs trade Tony Parker, Dejuan Blair, Rights to Splitter, 2011 1st to T-Wolves for #4, Al Jefferson, Ramon Sessions and Pick #23

Spurs get very skilled big man in Al Jefferson and can choose between Wesley Johnson, DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe with Pick #4. T-wolves get rid of Jefferson who is causing problems and pick up two talented big men. They also get Parker giving them all the point guards they could ever want.

Pick #5: Spurs trade Tony Parker to Kings for #5, Beno Udrih, Francisco Garcia, and Pick #33

Spurs get whoever is left out of Cousins, Johnson, and Monroe. Kings can move Evans to 2-guard and get rid of bad contracts.

Pick #6: Spurs trade Tony Parker, 2011 1st to Warriors for #6, Corey Maggette, and Anthony Randolph

Spurs get to draft the last remaining out of Monroe, Cousins, and Johnson. They also get a scorer in Maggatte and a talented young big in Randolph. Warriors get parker and Don Nelson gets to stick it to the League, the Mavs, and the Lakers on his way out the door.

Pick #7: Spurs trade George Hill, Antonio Mcdyess, and #20 to Pistons for #7, Jason Maxiell, and Jonas Jerebko

I admit this trade doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but pistons need a true point and maybe they believe Hill can be that guy. They can move Stuckey to 2-guard and get Mcdyess back who produced better than Maxiell. Spurs get young talent and draft either Ed Davis, Ekpe Udoh, or Cole Aldrich.

Pick #8: Spurs trade George Hill to Clippers (Use Camby Trade Exception) for #8, and #54.

Once again makes no sense. Spurs draft whoever is left out of Davis, Udoh, and Aldrich. Clippers get someone who can play for Davis while he spends the season in a suit which is destin to happen.

Pick #9: Spurs trade George Hill and Dejuan Blair to Jazz for #9, Ronnie Price, Sundiata Gaines, and Pick #55

Not going to happen, but whatever. Spurs pick last remaining out of Davis, Udoh, and Aldrich. Jazz would put Hill at 2-guard and replace Boozer with Blair. Jazz get to laugh at spurs for years for making the deal.

Pick #10: Spurs trade George Hill, Antonio Mcdyess, Malik Hairston, and #20 to Pacers for #10, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and Dahntay Jones

To me this trade makes sense. Spurs get a lot of young talent at multiple positions. They might actually draft a 3 if this happened instead of a big and would have their choice of the litter with Paul George, Xavier Henry, Gordon Heyward, or whoever else they like. Patrick Patterson might be perfect for the spurs here. Pacers get hometown star/hero Hill making money while saving money by trading back.

Pick # 11: Spurs trade Tony Parker, Antonio Mcdyess, Malik Hairston, #20, 2011 1st, and 2013 1st to the Hornets for #11, Chris Paul, James Posey, and Julian Wright.

Spurs get an upgrade at point guard and whoever they like most with pick #11. If the Hornets don't believe they will be able sign Chris Paul in a couple of years now could be the time to trade him. They may not be able to resign Parker either, but at least they get a head start on rebuilding. They get a boatload of picks in order to do so and can trade parker at the trade deadline in february for more future potential.

What do you guys think? Do any of these trades sound reasonable? If Tony Parker/George Hill really are on the block you have to at least explore the possibilities.

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:05 AM
If Chad Ford thinks they would do this to rebuild the he's out of his mind. As long as Tim Duncan is playing there is no rebuilding process for the front office.

Um What do you call Blair, Hill, Harryston, Gee and Temples?

They are already in the transitioning stages, only they still have their core.

It's in progress already as we speak, but we are also still contenders.

Get a clue

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 12:06 AM

Basically. Whatever move they do will be something they genuinely believe gives them a better shot at winning No. 5 with Tim. Sans that, nothing else makes much sense.

They're trying to reload on the fly, not look to rebuild for the future . . .

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Um What do you call Blair, Hill, Harryston, Gee and Temples?

They are already in the transitioning stages, only they still have their core.

It's in progress already as we speak, but we are also still contenders.

Get a clue

Blair? I call that getting extremely lucky. Why would they not pick him? Its not like they went out of their way to trade up for him. The Spurs made no move in particular to get Blair. He fell into their laps.

In fact the same thing happened with Hill.

When the Spurs make moves specifically to acquire better draft picks by trading away talent and unloading large contracts then they will be in rebuilding mode.

So next time before you tell me to get a clue maybe you should know what the fuck you're talking about. God damn I hate some of you new idiots so much. You've ruined the shit out of this board.

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:16 AM
So next time before you tell me to get a clue maybe you should know what the fuck you're talking about. God damn I hate some of you new idiots so much. You've ruined the shit out of this board.

No you just don't know a shit. You really need to get a clue.

I've been a Spurs fan for the past 3 years after the Suns and Pacers disssapointed me and I'm aware with what is going on. You obviously don't.

You think Spurs aren't rebuilding, well newsflash tough guy. The transition is already started on the fly even while they are in contention..

Its happening and thats a fact..

So yeah you really need to get a clue.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh shit, 3 years. My bad. Carry on my friend. You've proven yourself here.

ducks
06-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Where did you hear this? I would like a link. If this were the case then I wouldn't see Favors falling out of the top 3.

read it online at work today

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Oh shit, 3 years. My bad. Carry on my friend. You've proven yourself here.

No you have proven yourself with horrible opinions.

" SPURS aren't rebuilding...

GTFO

It has started already. That is reality...

I guess post counts don't really matter after all. Mr. 34 thousand

Spursfanfromafar
06-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Where did you hear this? I would like a link. If this were the case then I wouldn't see Favors falling out of the top 3.

Apparently it was a David Kahn attempt at lowering Favors' value to let him fall off Top 3 and try to get him at 4. Thats the consensus everywhere. The Nets meanwhile love him after seeing him play simultaneously with Cousins. Cousins seems to have a good long mid-range as well, but Favors' has tremendous low post upside and athletic ability.

Spursfanfromafar
06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
The Mandatory link - http://netsarescorching.com/2010/06/21/looks-like-it-will-be-derrick-favors/

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
No you have proven yourself with horrible opinions.

" SPURS aren't rebuilding...

GTFO

It has started already. That is reality...

I guess post counts don't really matter after all. Mr. 34 thousand

Guess not. Well played bro. Well played.

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Guess not. Well played bro. Well played.

What do you call Blair, Hill, Mahinmi, Harry, Temple and Gee then?

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Well fuck by your logic every team is rebuilding because they have draft picks. I call them late round picks and scouring the D league. Do you remember when the Spurs traded a big player to get one of those you mentioned?

Yeah, neither do I.

Maybe after watching the Spurs for another 3 whole years you'll understand what the difference between using late round picks that everyone gets and rebuilding is.

ducks
06-22-2010, 12:37 AM
June 21st, 2010 at 2:44 PM

This is what Favors said today;
————————-
Favors admitted that the story out of Minnesota, about him being out of shape, had some truth to it.

“I’m not in the best shape,” Favors said. “I’m not in game shape. But I’m in good workout shape where I can push through my workout. I just took as it a criticism. .. .It was a good criticism.”

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2010, 12:37 AM
-I don't believe this at all, I would be extremely surprised..not out of logic or anything, but the Spurs are always heavily involved in off-season rumors, and the rumors rarely come through..

-There isn't really a scenario I can see where the Spurs would get good value for Parker..the 10th pick in the draft is not good value..I fully understand that Parker will be demanding a lot of money and will most likely see a decline in the next few years, but the Spurs plan is to win right now, and having Parker on the team is the best way to win right now, unless some mind-blowing offer hits the Spurs..

-Hill and Blair are extremely overrated on SpursTalk, especially Hill, so I wouldn't mind seeing them moved for the right offer..

-I will be extremely angry if the Spurs take the Indiana deal..Murphy is a horrible defender and would add to an already-slow frontcourt..Rush doesn't really have much potential left IMO..getting Devin Harris would upset me as well, unless the #3 is involved, which would be stupid for NJ..I haven't really heard any other rumors..

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Well fuck by your logic every team is rebuilding because they have draft picks. I call them late round picks and scouring the D league. Do you remember when the Spurs traded a big player to get one of those you mentioned?

Yeah, neither do I.

Maybe after watching the Spurs for another 3 whole years you'll understand what the difference between using late round picks that everyone gets and rebuilding is.

Spurs don't have to go into total tank rebuild mode you moron.

They are doing the rebuilding process on the fly. The smart way, the way you aren't aware of because you think rebuilding is getting rid of everything.

That is a fact..

You really need to pay more attention.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2010, 12:42 AM
No shit but Chad Ford is talking about them going into total rebuilding mode so thats what we're talking about. Are you so fucking dense and illiterate that you can't even follow the posts in the thread you're posting in?

Really? I need to pay attention?

God damn why am I responding to someone who's probably trolling me.

(If you're a troll 8/10 good job - the 3 years touch was gold)

EricB
06-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Who the fuck are these new guys acting like know it alls... WTF?!?!?

EricD
06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
No shit but Chad Ford is talking about them going into total rebuilding mode so thats what we're talking about. Are you so fucking dense and illiterate that you can't even follow the posts in the thread you're posting in?

Really? I need to pay attention?

God damn why am I responding to someone who's probably trolling me.

(If you're a troll 8/10 good job - the 3 years touch was gold)

Chad Ford is assuming the Spurs are going into total rebuilding mode, but that is not a fact with Manu and Tim strapped up with the Spurs for the next 2 years at least. Trading Parker for top 5 pick that can help now and for the future as well to team up with the young core of Hill, Harriston, Blair, Mahimmi Gee and Temples is rebuilding on the fly, not totally rebuilding.

TJastal
06-22-2010, 01:00 AM
-I don't believe this at all, I would be extremely surprised..not out of logic or anything, but the Spurs are always heavily involved in off-season rumors, and the rumors rarely come through..

-There isn't really a scenario I can see where the Spurs would get good value for Parker..the 10th pick in the draft is not good value..I fully understand that Parker will be demanding a lot of money and will most likely see a decline in the next few years, but the Spurs plan is to win right now, and having Parker on the team is the best way to win right now, unless some mind-blowing offer hits the Spurs..

-Hill and Blair are extremely overrated on SpursTalk, especially Hill, so I wouldn't mind seeing them moved for the right offer..

-I will be extremely angry if the Spurs take the Indiana deal..Murphy is a horrible defender and would add to an already-slow frontcourt..Rush doesn't really have much potential left IMO..getting Devin Harris would upset me as well, unless the #3 is involved, which would be stupid for NJ..I haven't really heard any other rumors..

Murphy can't be any worse than Bonner defensively.. His rebounding #'s alone put him light years ahead. Whatever else is lacking he'd more than make up for with his potent offensive game which would probably open up even more in the spurs' offensive scheme.

A Murphy/Duncan starting frontcourt is solid and allows McDyess to be moved to that 3rd big position off the bench to help Blair out in the 2nd unit, which is a more natural fit for him at this stage of his career.

G-Dawgg
06-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I speculate that a draft day trade has probably been verbally pre-arranged for a while now, they're likely just waiting until thursday to make it official. Parker might have even known it for a while also which would explain his ignorance towards Spurs fans in the airport incident. Why would he care about PR towards a Spurs fan if he knows he's on his way out?... who knows........

completely deck
06-22-2010, 02:01 AM

Don't do the whole post-count shit.

kromediablo
06-22-2010, 02:05 AM
don't really care too much for george hill...trade him

Mr Bones
06-22-2010, 02:06 AM
The whole "noob" and low post-count comments are fucking tiresome. If Bill Russell or Coach K signed up for spurstalk tomorrow and gave a few opinions, inevitably some meathead with 15,000 posts would condescendingly tell him he doesn't know anything about the NBA. Argue knowledge and facts... this whole you don't waste as much time on the internet as I do angle is fucking stupid.

EricD
06-22-2010, 02:09 AM

It's not knowing all..It's common sense..

Get a clue

kromediablo
06-22-2010, 02:09 AM
quote: Who the fuck are these new guys acting like know it alls... WTF?!?!?

they're longtime posters who made upnew screen names so they don't get dogged out for their opinions...lol

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 02:25 AM

thats called getting youth in the roster instead of vets......

trading timmy, manu, TP for picks and young players is considered "rebuilding"

Sisk
06-22-2010, 02:36 AM
I wonder if EricD is serious

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 03:14 AM

almost blasphemy, but point on.
they are both good and could become even better, but neither will be crucial for the Spurs future. Hill will become a good rotation player and even decent starter, but he won't impact the game like Tony does. and Blair will as well become a decent rotation player and stat stuffer. but his limited size and likely never more than average defense will prevent that he becomes kind of the new cornerstone of the front court. IMO he will never be more than a 3rd man in the big rotation.
that said: I don't want to get rid of any of the two, but like Harlem said...for the right offer.....

btw. could it be a point that Hill is from Indianapolis when they talk trade with the Pacers?

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 05:36 AM
For what it's worth, I've tweeted to chad ford asking him about what he's heard, lol :p.. Maybe if enough people ask him about the Spurs trade rumor he's talked about, he'd be willing to give up a bit more info..

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 05:55 AM
About Hill, I definitely think he has it in him to be an elite PG or a very good one at least. Everyone says he's a SG in PG's body, bullshit. He has good enough ball handling and passing skills, he has a steady jumper which he's getting better at and can hit the 3 consistently, and he can drive into the lane and score or kick out. The more he plays as a PG, the better he'll get, its simple.

I don't think he will ever be able to be a full time SG in the NBA because of his size disadvantage at that position, he's simply not tall enough or strong enough for most SG's (who are generally 6ft5 and up). As a starting PG, he generally did well and there's no reason not to expect even more major improvements if he is a Spur next season.

As for a comparison with Parker, for sure Parker is much better and a more natural PG, but he comes at a much higher cost and after this summer he will surely be looking at a max contract which the Spurs simply can't really afford after giving Manu the max for 3 years (I found this way too high for Manu, despite his unbelievable talent). Hill has been in the league for just 2 years and is doing great and has improved a great deal. Parker had many problems and inconsistencies even until his 3rd and 4th year as a starter for SA.

At the end of the day, like many others, I don't see the point of trading Hill to be honest. His salary is too low, there's nothing much we can get by trading him unless he goes with RJ in a multi-player deal. He is simply much much cheaper to keep than Parker is. On the other hand, Parker has a easily trade-able contract and many teams are interested in him for obvious reasons. I would not be shocked to see him traded at any point this season. I think we may gain a lot by trading Parker for the right pieces, and I do see Hill as a capable starter at PG for the future.

Anyways, this is a business after all, if he does go he will surely be missed...

TheTruth
06-22-2010, 06:43 AM

Blair was a 2nd round steal.
Hill was a late first round steal.
Mahinmi has been a late first round bust.
Harry, Temple, and Gee are roster fillers.

Did the Spurs go out of their way to acquire any one of these guys? Did they move an aging player with a big contract for any of these guys? That's not rebuilding friendo, that's getting extremely lucky twice in the draft.

Spursfanfromafar
06-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Some Grist to the Parker/Hill Trade Mill -

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/06/21/2010-06-21_new_jersey_nets_making_push_to_trade_for_new_or leans_hornets_guard_chris_paul.html

Nets are willing to trade Devin Harris + No. 3 for Chris Paul. That means, they could try a similar trade for Parker as well.

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Chad Ford's latest tweet:

I'm on SportsCenter at 8:40 am ET followed by Mike and Mike at 9:10 am ET talking draft. Tune In!

As i'm not in the States, would appreciate anybody updating us with any Spurs related info he says.. show started now as it is 8:42am already

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Chad Ford's latest tweet:

I'm on SportsCenter at 8:40 am ET followed by Mike and Mike at 9:10 am ET talking draft. Tune In!

As i'm not in the States, would appreciate anybody updating us with any Spurs related info he says.. show started now as it is 8:42am already

It's right on 9:10 ET now, and I'm watching Mike and Mike...I'll post what I hear.

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
It's right on 9:10 ET now, and I'm watching Mike and Mike...I'll post what I hear.

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
They took a 5-minute commercial break (of course), but Chad Ford is on now.

Sotongball21
06-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I've not read the last 5 pages of the thread. From observation,

Trading Parker makes no sense. He is in his contract year, and he is a premium guard.

1. He has been playing for spurs for his whole nba career, and suddenly, trading him is a good option? It takes time for another guard to be accustomed to the spurs plays and what not, I don't think Hill is a legit playmaker. I don't think Manu's legs will help him in anyway.

2. Even when trading for another legit point guard will be a hassle for the whole team. The pg will be handling the ball for large periods of the game, players need to get familiar with the plays that the pg will run. And learning a whole new system, especially the pg position, take loads and loads of time. We don't want the chemistry of the team to plunge.

Hill on the other hand, is expandable. While he is a good role player, and might be an all star on another team. he does not "fit" into the spurs system.

1. His pick and roll is not as solid as it needs to be, his defence on pick and rolls is also not good. He is a liability on the defensive end, getting torched by Nash was an example.

2. He is an undersized 2, the spurs is already having trouble keeping up with the size of the lakers, Imagine next season, when our line up for closeouts would be Parker, Hill, Manu, Splitter (Or Dice) and Duncan. Small ball? We need size, and Hill does not give us size.

When splitter hopefully comes, Spurs will be legit, no doubt. But trading parker would make us mid cards again.

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
These are Ford's comments:

Cousins is a very polarizing player (some think he's the best in the draft, some wouldn't touch him); Ford loves him. He even thinks Cousins can shoot the NBA 3-pointer!

The biggest reach is Greg Monroe (best passing big man in the draft, not a great athlete), definitely should not be taken ahead of Cousins.

Wall is the easy #1, a slightly better version of Derrick Rose and a better passer than Rondo.

A decent-sized dropoff to Turner at #2 (I guess Ford assumes Turner will go #2). Gives Brandon Roy as Turner's ceiling.

There are 5 difference-makers in the draft: Wall, Cousins, Turner, Favors, and Wes Johnson (says that Favors is raw and a few years away still).

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 08:19 AM
These are Ford's comments:

Cousins is a very polarizing player (some think he's the best in the draft, some wouldn't touch him); Ford loves him. He even thinks Cousins can shoot the NBA 3-pointer!

The biggest reach is Greg Monroe (best passing big man in the draft, not a great athlete), definitely should not be taken ahead of Cousins.

He's done? Or that's just the first part?

Let us know if he makes any Spurs comments...

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I'll just keep posting as they go; I'm just posting what I hear so far.

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Ford thinks it's a deep draft, even down to pick #40. His mock has Wall/Turner/Favors/Johnson/Cousins/Monroe in that order as the top 6.

There are no home-run players after those 6.

Paul George has the most star potential after those 6, Ford compares him to T-Mac. Even so, George didn't ever dominate even in the WAC, seems supremely talented, but perhaps disinterested.

...and, that's it. No mention of the Spurs, sorry.

jiggy_55
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Ford thinks it's a deep draft, even down to pick #40. His mock has Wall/Turner/Favors/Johnson/Cousins/Monroe in that order as the top 6.

There are no home-run players after those 6.

Paul George has the most star potential after those 6, Ford compares him to T-Mac. Even so, George didn't ever dominate even in the WAC, seems supremely talented, but perhaps disinterested.

...and, that's it. No mention of the Spurs, sorry.

Thanks a bunch..

K-State Spur
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
independent of the points made in this thread, i just feel the need to point out that chad ford is consistently worse at his job than probably anybody on this board is at theirs. you could stockpile encyclopedia sized volumes filled with the bad (and often ridiculous) information and predictions that he has made over the years.

Maddog
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
independent of the points made in this thread, i just feel the need to point out that chad ford is consistently worse at his job than probably anybody on this board is at theirs. you could stockpile encyclopedia sized volumes filled with the bad (and often ridiculous) information and predictions that he has made over the years
read through this for some of Fords brilliant observations

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/17462

Shastafarian
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
read through this for some of Fords brilliant observations

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/17462

CF: Barbosa has the potential to be a Gary Payton-like player someday.

If I ever met Ford in person I'd punch him in the face for being such an idiot.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
CF: Barbosa has the potential to be a Gary Payton-like player someday.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
CF: Bernie Bickerstaff played it safe again and went with the most proven player in the draft. Adam Morrison will score points and he'll draw fans into the arena. The Bobcats continue filling the team with solid players who have good backgrounds -- and with Morrison they may have found their first star.

baseline bum
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
On David West: Not a bad pick. He's kind of a shorter version of P.J. Brown. But why not take a flier here on Brian Cook? Cook is taller, a more well-rounded player, and could help stretch defenses with his perimeter skills. West will be a solid player. But at No. 18 you could get so much more.

Brian fucking Cooke? :rollin

manufan10
06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
CF: I'm not sure that Rose is the most talented basketball player in the draft

CF: I hate to break it to what looked like a very sober, perhaps disappointed Pat Riley, but the Heat won this draft. They walked away with arguably the best player in the draft and then got a second-round steal at point guard, a position at which Miami really needed help. Beasley has a chance to be a superstar. With him and Dwyane Wade, the Heat have a terrific future. On top of that, Miami got a player at No. 34 who I had ranked as a potential mid-first-round pick. Chalmers is perfect for Riley: He is tough, plays defense, can shoot the lights out and is a winner.

baseline bum
06-22-2010, 12:01 PM
CF: Another great draft for Bulls GM John Paxson. I had Tyrus Thomas ranked No. 1 on my board for the past two months, :rollin and the Bulls got him at No. 4 and picked up Viktor Khryapa in the process. I also am a Thabo Sefolosha fan, though I think Ronnie Brewer's skill set was a little better fit for the Bulls. The Bulls had two glaring needs and addressed them both in the draft. Sefolosha is ready to play right now and Thomas will be soon. If the Bulls add a center via free agency (I see Joel Przybilla in their future) and find a trade for Tyson Chandler (I think he's getting moved), they might be ready to advance in the playoffs. Or they'll use all these assets to get their hands on Kevin Garnett. Either way, the future for the Bulls is bright.

baseline bum
06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
They needed size in the frontcourt and got two of the top four bigs in the draft with Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
CF: Hill is a nice player, but I don't believe he's a better point guard than Mario Chalmers.
NDN: Hill was a bit of a reach at 26, and they may be second guessed for passing on Mario Chalmers.
DE: San Antonio was very likely blindsided after being caught by the Rockets with their hand in the cookie jar trying to steal Nicolas Batum from the rest of the league, so much that they seem to have reached for George Hill, who they almost certainly could have had in the early second round. Hill’s numbers are off the charts and he did play extremely well at the Orlando pre-draft camp, but learning how to play the point guard position is not going to be the easiest task in the world for him.

I think with this one we ALL deserve a :lmao

chrisrod2008
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
If the Spurs sign Tiago Splitter he is no longer considered a rookie so we are going to have to offer him 6-8million and that would then put Tony on the trading block because we were already over the cap and Tony is due to earn $13.5 million.

DesignatedT
06-22-2010, 12:07 PM
ford is a joke

DesignatedT
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
If the Spurs sign Tiago Splitter he is no longer considered a rookie so we are going to have to offer him 6-8million and that would then put Tony on the trading block because we were already over the cap and Tony is due to earn $13.5 million.

The most we have to offer is 5.8mil/year to splitter. He might go for a little cheaper than that, hopefully around 4/year. This will have nothing to do with Tony being on the trading block or not.

DesignatedT
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Would anyone do Hill +#20 for Rush + #10 and draft George.

benefactor
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
CF: I think Pavel will end up being the steal of the draft at No. 21.
Seriously...how does Chad Ford still have a job?

Cane
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Making predictions ain't always easy....basically everyone on ST and the media though that RJ and McDyess would make the Spurs contend after all :)

manufan10
06-22-2010, 12:17 PM

I was like, "Who is this guy? I don't know who he is," with some of the guys Chad Ford was singing praises about.

Dr. Gonzo
06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
They showed the 95(?) draft again this weekend and when Antonio McDyess was drafted they said he would have a very long career like Shawn Kemp was going to have. I lol'd at Shawn Kemp having a long career comment.

You can't really shit on guys that do the draft and say ridiculous things. Nobody is spot on with their draft analysis. Could you really predict Beasley and Chalmers being a busy? The thing Ford said about Chalmers is exactly what 90% of this board was saying in that draft day thread.

chrisrod2008
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
The most we have to offer is 5.8mil/year to splitter. He might go for a little cheaper than that, hopefully around 4/year. This will have nothing to do with Tony being on the trading block or not.

Yea but Tiago is their main off season sigining and his agent the 1st time held out because of pay so he knows that he is worth more than that with his MVP's and championships. So they are going to shoot high for problaby the best rookie center out there.

Mr Bones
06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
You can't really shit on guys that do the draft and say ridiculous things. Nobody is spot on with their draft analysis..... The thing Ford said about Chalmers is exactly what 90% of this board was saying in that draft day thread.

Very true. At least Ford wasn't starting threads after the Hill pick saying that Buford and Pop should be fired.

DesignatedT
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Yea but Tiago is their main off season sigining and his agent the 1st time held out because of pay so he knows that he is worth more than that with his MVP's and championships. So they are going to shoot high for problaby the best rookie center out there.

Still, the most we can offer is 5.8 mil/year. There is no way around that.

chrisrod2008
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Still, the most we can offer is 5.8 mil/year. There is no way around that.

Thnax for that info helps a lot on possibly keeping Tony

K-State Spur
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
You can't really shit on guys that do the draft and say ridiculous things. Nobody is spot on with their draft analysis. Could you really predict Beasley and Chalmers being a busy? The thing Ford said about Chalmers is exactly what 90% of this board was saying in that draft day thread.

When someone has that poor a track record for making predictions, but continues to make strong ones and enjoys the smell of their own farts as much Ford does - I say aim high and shit away.

And Beasley, while not all-world, is still a long way from being a bust.

Shastafarian
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
And Beasley, while not all-world, is still a long way from being a bust.

When the guys taken after include:

O.J. Mayo, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Brook Lopez, Anthony Randolph, and hell, even Jason Thompson.

I'd say picking him #2 was bust-worthy.

RiverwalkParade
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
back on the trade of Parker or Hill possibility...

I read on RealGM.com that Indiana turned down an offer from Minnesota of Flynn, 16th and 23rd for the 10th in return.

Why in the world would you turn that down UNLESS you had a better offer on the table...

Vic Petro
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
back on the trade of Parker or Hill possibility...

I read on RealGM.com that Indiana turned down an offer from Minnesota of Flynn, 16th and 23rd for the 10th in return.

Why in the world would you turn that down UNLESS you had a better offer on the table...

I believe it was Minnesota that turned this deal down.