PDA

View Full Version : Ticket 760: Richard Jefferson to re-sign next week.

Pages : [1] 2

GoGatos
07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
He will meet with Spurs early next week. Expected to sign.

baseline bum
07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
:pctoss

TIMMYD!
Damn, it's like the FO decided to release all this information in a bundle.

Andy25
There we go. Now we got the pieces we need. Drive for 5.

Dex
07-09-2010, 06:05 PM
This is only slightly less surprising than Bonner re-signing.

slick'81
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
yup just heard it if there was two players the spurs had to have back it was #24 and bone head

EricB
Really! Wow..

DesignatedT
Good news! RJ and Splitter. Now go use what we have left of the MLE (if any) and the LLE to sign a shooter via FA.

GoGatos
The FO doesn't want this info out. Once LeBron fell, the picture became clearer everywhere else. Spurs had a plan and started excuting it last night.

Spurs Brazil
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
The FO doesn't want this info out. Once LeBron fell, the picture became clearer everywhere else. Spurs had a plan and started excuting it last night.

Any idea of yrs/money?

SpursTillTheEnd
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
hell no so the future of the spurs is bonner and jefferson wtf, oh well i guess rj is ok as long as he doesn't start hes a better role player

johnnyblues
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Good news! RJ and Splitter. Now go use what we have left of the MLE (if any) and the LLE to sign a shooter via FA.

Raja Bell perhaps?

benefactor
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Not a surprise. All we can do is hope he does more good than bad.

Dex
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I think this had to be done. The gap at small forward had to be filled, and it was either fill it with LLE money (and abandon any other player needs) or spend the money that they are only allowed to spend on Jefferson. Hopefully, the cost proves to be worth its value.

Before opting out, Spurs were planning on going forward to next year with RJ at SF anyways; now they just get to do it while under the luxury tax. The biggest drawback to this is we will probably have to deal with Jefferson for another few years, but it is what it is.

slick'81
07-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I think this had to be done. The gap at small forward had to be filled, and it was either fill it with LLE money (and abandon any other player needs) or spend the money that they are only allowed to spend on Jefferson. Hopefully, the cost proves to be worth its value.

Before opting out, Spurs were planning on going forward to next year with RJ at SF anyways; now they just get to do it while under the luxury tax. The biggest drawback to this is we will probably have to deal with Jefferson for another few years, but it is what it is.

how does all this affect resigning tp

Mugen
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
lol you bring me down with the bonner resigning, then bring me up with the Tiago news only to kick me in the balls once again.

Gods a Laker fan.

rayray2k8
Kinda curious to see how much RJ will get..

dbestpro
Pop has been working with RJ one on one prior to the opt out so this is no great suprise. Now, its time for RJ to get the 2nd year fix.

vander
07-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Kinda curious to see how much RJ will get..

prob more than he's worth, it's been the trend here this year, and also I think they had an agreement already which was why he opted out.

no less then 40 million IMO

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Really! Wow..

Why are you calling scoreboard when the story "you broke" was already reported before your sources told you about it.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
There we go. Now we got the pieces we need. Drive for 5.

The Spurs FO has done well the past two years adding Dice, RJ, Splitter, Blair and Anderson. We have the deepest bench and most talented time since 2003. I am very excited.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Disgusting. Unless this is a 2 year deal (obviously not) then this is so dumb. Spurs had a get out of jail free card and ended up getting a longer sentence.

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=DPG21920;4491956]Why are you calling scoreboard when the story "you broke" was already reported before your sources told you

:lol

Ok whatever floats your boat sunshine.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Jefferson will improve next year. Both him and pop will approach the situation differently. He is definitely better than any other options out there.

slick'81
07-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Jefferson will improve next year. Both him and pop will approach the situation differently. He is definitely better than any other options out there.

im gonna go with this for now

ducks
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Starting at mle ok

posting from I phone

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=DPG21920;4491956]Why are you calling scoreboard when the story "you broke" was already reported before your sources told you

Ok whatever floats your boat sunshine.

Keep seeking approval and bumping threads angel.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Working with Pop won't make him quicker or make his 3 point shot better. There is no way he improves; because he can't.

If there is no one better out there (which I don't agree), then you bite the bullet and don't mortgage your future.

I don't care how good of a value he is, or how much talent he has. You absolutely do not sign him long term imo.

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Sure thing boss.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
That's a good news and totally different from Bonner's resign. We really have to keep RJ, we can't handle him to leave us to Clippers or Cavs without nothing on return. He is our only SF in our roster and we have no money to replace him.

If he resings, our roster will be:
Parker/Hill
Manu/Hairston
Jefferson/Anderson
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
Splitter/McDyess

Not bad at all. Let's sign with Shaq for LLE, he would be a good weapon against Bynum.

Mugen
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
im sure the only thing Pop worked with RJ on is his kickouts to Bonner.

blkroadrunners
:pctoss

:lmao

DPG21920
Sure thing boss.

Scoreboard!!

mingus
07-09-2010, 06:27 PM
here's to hoping RJ can hi nail three ball consistently next season :toast

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Working with Pop won't make him quicker or make his 3 point shot better. There is no way he improves; because he can't.

He can improve both his quickness and his 3 pt shot. He looked pretty heavy to me the first time i saw him and I expect him to be a bit leaner. He really just needs to focus on the corner 3 since most his attempts will be from there. Plus, Him knowing the system will benefit him and since he wont be the new guy it will keep him from "stepping on other peoples toes".

I don't think hes the greatest fit or anything but he will be better next season just like every spur is in year 2 and is definitely better than any realistic options we have. I don't give a shit what happens 4 years from now. I want to win now.... with Duncan.

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Scoreboard!!

really bothers you doesn't it...

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Given what's available and CBA limitations, not the worst thing. There indeed are worse things, such as using the remaining part of Duncan's career to rebuild for life after him.

Jefferson should be more comfortable next season. With Splitter joining, Jefferson can focus exclusively on playing the 3.

I'm not a big fan of Jefferson, but the Spurs would be worse off without him for the next couple of seasons.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
No. Does it really bother you when people make fun of your sources? Because you tell them to "just move on" constantly and call them "stalkers". I guess they really bother you because you reply to everything anyone says about your sources.

Dr. Gonzo
07-09-2010, 06:31 PM
The biggest drawback to this is we will probably have to deal with Jefferson for another few years, but it is what it is.

It could be a lot worse. We could have nothing but scrubs manning that position for the next year. RJ wasn't great but he wasn't absolutely terrible. He had his moments.

rayray2k8
No. Does it really bother you when people make fun of your sources? Because you tell them to "just move on" constantly and call them "stalkers". I guess they really bother you because you reply to everything anyone says about your sources.

DPG21920
So nobody here thinks a Wright, Bell, fill in the blank lower level guy... would be a better fit and benefit the team more than RJ?

Do the Spurs have such a legit shot at winning a title that it is worth RJ long-term?

Dex
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
how does all this affect resigning tp

Spurs should still be able to extend or resign Tony for the near-max (if needed) because of his Bird Rights. This is just making it harder for the Spurs to do so without bulging the salary cap, let alone luxury tax, for years to come.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Starting at mle ok

posting from I phone

Wow, something that capitalizes for you! Hit the space bar twice at the end of sentences and it'll punctuate for you as well. Soon you'll look like you're not a complete moron!

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
He can improve both his quickness and his 3 pt shot. He looked pretty heavy to me the first time i saw him and I expect him to be a bit leaner. He really just needs to focus on the corner 3 since most his attempts will be from there. Plus, Him knowing the system will benefit him and since he wont be the new guy it will keep him from "stepping on other peoples toes".

I don't think hes the greatest fit or anything but he will be better next season just like every spur is in year 2 and is definitely better than any realistic options we have. I don't give a shit what happens 4 years from now. I want to win now.... with Duncan.

He is not a good 3 point shooter and even if he loses weight, he is still not quick enough to be a lock down perimeter defender. Spurs absolutely need someone to either be really good at one or the other, preferably both.

RJ cannot do either.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
drop the whole sources fiasco, seriously. The "source' is a fuckin joke. Mcdonald's "imminent" tweet was at the exact same time you posted your great news. You have a source good for you.... or you don't. doesn't matter

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
It's that time of year again, to come down to Earth and realize the Spurs won't do what we think is the most logical thing to do. Expect a 4 year/$40 million contract.

rayray2k8
The spur need to fill that empty SF spot, so w/e. Jefferson showed glimpses during the season and a few games of what we thought he would have brought to the table.
The dude can dunk, but that about it. :lol

Mark in Austin
A man can always dream...

S&T RJ + Hill to Charlotte for Jack. Bobcats need a point & cap relief. Spurs need a shooter with balls.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 06:36 PM
So nobody here thinks a Wright, Bell, fill in the blank lower level guy... would be a better fit and benefit the team more than RJ?

Do the Spurs have such a legit shot at winning a title that it is worth RJ long-term?

Those guys will sign more than LLE, which we can offer most. We can't find a decent player instead of Jeff with LLE.

We don't have a legit shot at winning title with RJ. But winning title doesn't mean everything. We have a legit shot to reach WCF, which is not bad. And if we can sign with Shaq and Splitter becomes a perfect fit as we hope, we have a chance against Lakers too.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:37 PM
He is not a good 3 point shooter and even if he loses weight, he is still not quick enough to be a lock down perimeter defender. Spurs absolutely need someone to either be really good at one or the other, preferably both.

RJ cannot do either.

By no means is he a lockdown defender but I thought his defense continued to improve steadily as the season progressed. Having Splitter join Tim in the paint will only help the cause as well. Like I said... he definitely isn't the best player for us, but he is a lot better than anything we can realistically bring in. Hairston will get plenty of chances to show what he can do and if we bring in another wing at the LLE they might be able to provide some of that D or 3 ball your talking about, but letting him walk for nothing was definitely not the best choice for us.

Fabbs
07-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Pop has been working with RJ one on one prior to the opt out so this is no great suprise. Now, its time for RJ to get the 2nd year fix.
Who else has Pop ever worked one and one with and what were the results?

So Pop never worked one on one with RJ last year? :depressed
Or maybe he did and we saw the result. :rollin

dbestpro
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
RJ had a rough year. Most players struggle their first year with the Spurs. I think he may surprise many this year. At least he won't (or should not) be asked to play PF anymore.

picnroll
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Overpay Bonner for too many years. Overpay Richardson for too many years. Sounds like a plan to me.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Those guys will sign more than LLE, which we can offer most. We can't find a decent player instead of Jeff with LLE.

We don't have a legit shot at winning title with RJ. But winning title doesn't mean everything. We have a legit shot to reach WCF, which is not bad. And if we can sign with Shaq and Splitter becomes a perfect fit as we hope, we have a chance against Lakers too.

:lol How is my idea of signing a guy like Bell for the LLE not make sense to you, but signing Shaq + Tiago does?

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Who else has Pop ever worked one and one with and what were the results?

So Pop never worked one on one with RJ last year? :depressed
Or maybe he did and we saw the result. :rollin

Do players tend to struggle in their 1st years as a spur? Do they usually improve during there 2nd season? I don't understand what you are getting at. Pop and RJ will approach this thing differently and he is by far the best option we have for the position. Letting him walk for nothing would have been absolutely idiotic.

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
drop the whole sources fiasco, seriously. The "source' is a fuckin joke. Mcdonald's "imminent" tweet was at the exact same time you posted your great news. You have a source good for you.... or you don't. doesn't matter

Good for McDonald.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:41 PM
By no means is he a lockdown defender but I thought his defense continued to improve steadily as the season progressed. Having Splitter join Tim in the paint will only help the cause as well. Like I said... he definitely isn't the best player for us, but he is a lot better than anything we can realistically bring in. Hairston will get plenty of chances to show what he can do and if we bring in another wing at the LLE they might be able to provide some of that D or 3 ball your talking about, but letting him walk for nothing was definitely not the best choice for us.

In terms of winning this next year? You are correct in saying RJ for nothing is not the "best" option. But when you look at what that means, and take the future into consideration, I think it is pretty obvious you don't resign him.

Spurs would have just been happy to keep RJ this last year and then let him walk next year imo. If that is true, you don't sign him for an extra 3 years just to get that marginally better year this year.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Good for McDonald.

Does his statement bother you?

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Does his statement bother you?

No. But me being right really torqued you enough to go out of your way to quote and say something.

tuncaboylu
:lol How is my idea of signing a guy like Bell for the LLE not make sense to you, but signing Shaq + Tiago does?

Tiago signs for MLE, not LLE.

Shaq may want to play next to Duncan for LLE, we don't know. He may accept a 3M paycut. It's not too much for him, he earnt nearly 200M form his previous contracts. But maybe he won't, but it's more likely than Bell. Becuase lot's of teams may want Bell and nearly all of them have MLE(which we don't)

Creation88
http://creativeobservatory.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dm-white-flag.jpg

peacemaker885
Do players tend to struggle in their 1st years as a spur? Do they usually improve during there 2nd season? I don't understand what you are getting at. Pop and RJ will approach this thing differently and he is by far the best option we have for the position. Letting him walk for nothing would have been absolutely idiotic.

There's just so much hate in the forums right now. If you will read all posts there's very few posters that support the moves the Spurs are making. As Lebron would say "I can count them with my hands!"

ElNono
I wanna see the contract. I don't mind him for next season, but past that... hmmm...

DesignatedT
In terms of winning this next year? You are correct in saying RJ for nothing is not the "best" option. But when you look at what that means, and take the future into consideration, I think it is pretty obvious you don't resign him.

Spurs would have just been happy to keep RJ this last year and then let him walk next year imo. If that is true, you don't sign him for an extra 3 years just to get that marginally better year this year.

I am not arguing that... although I do feel the Spurs had something to do with RJ opting out of his contract. I don't think RJ would have left 15 mil on the table if he didn't have at least 1 thing lined up. The Spurs were glad RJ opted out and were happy to re-sign him since they are now not paying the ridiculous luxury tax penalty they were paying last season.

3 or 4 years from now will this have been the best choice? who knows? but they are trying to win now. for duncan. they will not disrespect him and start to rebuild while he is still our leader.

DPG21920
Tiago signs for MLE, not LLE.

Shaq may want to play next to Duncan for LLE, we don't know. He may accept a 3M paycut. It's not too much for him, he earnt nearly 200M form his previous contracts. But maybe he won't, but it's more likely than Bell. Becuase lot's of teams may want Bell and nearly all of them have MLE(which we don't)

So Bell won't get the LLE but Shaq will settle for it. Hmmmm.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
We're basically the same team as last year, minus Mason, plus Splitter... does that look like it would have avoided being swept by the Suns?

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
No. But me being right really torqued you enough to go out of your way to quote and say something.

You can't just ever be the bigger man? Pride wise.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM

You were right about posting a link to a pre-existing story? Cool bro.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
plus, assuming the Spurs want to resign Tony ( I dont care about all the damn rumors about him leaving). RJ's contract coming off the books still wouldn't mean much next season if they have the Big 3 all under new contracts....

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
He might be better than the other options for 1 season, but if he's signed to 4 or 5 years, maybe even 3(one of these options is obviously likely), I will be sick..

His shooting obviously has to improve, that will help his game out a lot, but I don't see how else he will improve here, IMO..

DPG21920
I am not arguing that... although I do feel the Spurs had something to do with RJ opting out of his contract. I don't think RJ would have left 15 mil on the table if he didn't have at least 1 thing lined up. The Spurs were glad RJ opted out and were happy to re-sign him since they are now not paying the ridiculous luxury tax penalty they were paying last season.

3 or 4 years from now will this have been the best choice? who knows? but they are trying to win now. for duncan. they will not disrespect him and start to rebuild while he is still our leader.

If they are trying to win now, letting RJ walk and filling that spot with ........... does not ruin your chances hardly at all production wise. His numbers and impact are easily replaceable.

It is not disrespect to Tim to let a bad fit go. The Spurs are already starting to rebuild. They are also trying to win. RJ does nothing for either imo.

Mugen

lol.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
So Bell won't get the LLE but Shaq will settle for it. Hmmmm.

Is it a problem in your mind? I said it's a bigger possibility than Bell. Shaq won 4 times more money than Bell in his career and I think that he can accept a paycut to play in Spurs, but Bell doesn't.

Shaq stated that he wanted to play next to Duncan last week. Now we have only LLE and if he really want to play here he may accept it. I don't say it's a very likely deal, but there's a good chance about it.

DesignatedT
We're basically the same team as last year, minus Mason, plus Splitter... does that look like it would have avoided being swept by the Suns?

Definitely not. but we still have the LLE and min. contracts if we decide to bring in another piece. Plus, Hill and Blair will only get better. Jefferson will hopefully improve drastically but already having a year under his belt and having Tony on a contract year and healthy will be a huge help for us.

staying optimistic.

Das Texan
Oh 'yay'

Always has to be someone on the fucking roster I loathe.

Maybe Dick will not be the pathetic son of a bitch he was more often than not this past season.

DPG21920
plus, assuming the Spurs want to resign Tony ( I dont care about all the damn rumors about him leaving). RJ's contract coming off the books still wouldn't mean much next season if they have the Big 3 all under new contracts....

RJ's long term deal, if that is the case, could certainly effect TP's future.

EricB
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM

He's the one that started it. Can you ever be the bigger man and just ignore?

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Is it a problem in your mind? I said it's a bigger possibility than Bell. Shaq won 4 times more money than Bell in his career and I think that he can accept a paycut to play in Spurs, but Bell doesn't.

Shaq stated that he wanted to play next to Duncan last week. Now we have only LLE and if he really want to play here he may accept it. I don't say it's a very likely deal, but there's a good chance about it.

No there is not.

blizz
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
4 more fucking years of bonner.....wtf?

ElNono
I forgot we let the centerpiece go too... I wonder if we're re-signing him too...

DPG21920
He's the one that started it. Can you ever be the bigger man and just ignore?

:lmao "He started it.....Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

You don't ignore anyone. You respond to everything and call score board on Yahoo stories.

tuncaboylu

On the other hand Suns lost Amare. Dallas is not better than last year, so does Utah. We're not a bad position i guess.

Vic Petro

This is moot because last year's Suns don't exist anymore. That nightmare matchup is no more.

The question is can we beat the Jazz, Nuggs, Mavs, Rockets, Hornets, OKC and LA?

I say yes to all with the probable exceptions of LA and OKC.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
No there is not.

I suggest you a double-check.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
If they are trying to win now, letting RJ walk and filling that spot with ........... does not ruin your chances hardly at all production wise. His numbers and impact are easily replaceable.

It is not disrespect to Tim to let a bad fit go. The Spurs are already starting to rebuild. They are also trying to win. RJ does nothing for either imo.

While RJ was definitely a huge disappointment last year, I still think you and others are underrating him a bit. I do genuinely believe he has a lot more to offer than what we saw last season and I don't believe that the things he can bring are easily replaceable. I was just as upset and angry as every spurs fan last year but fact is the guy is a 20ppg career scorer. He is by far no question about it, the best option for us this season and probably next season.

Also like i said before. If Tony does sign an extension (which I ultimately believe) it is not like we will have any extra money to sign another player with the big 3 all locked up under new contracts. RJ would again be our best option unless we could have found something for the MLE next offseason... (look at cory maggette 2 years ago) that is definitely not a guarantee.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Sure, the Suns imploded. But the bar are the Lakers. We were not even close last season...

blizz
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Jazz...no more boozer...yes
Nuggs....imploding...Melo leaving...this will be a season in turmoil - yes
Mavs...a year older...maybe our toughest comp but yes
Rockets - not relevant - yes
Hornets see above - yes
OKC no - too young, too good, gaining experience
LA the champs - no

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't think RJ fits that well with the Spurs (on or off the court) nor do I think he likes it in SA much. However, he's probably the best the Spurs can do for the money. So I don't mind him staying. However, he needs to really work on buying into the system and not destroying the spacing.

I'm just surprised about one thing...with re-signing RJ, signing Splitter, and re-signing Bonner, they put themselves back in luxury tax territory. I'm just kind of shocked that Holt would want to play the luxury tax just to keep Bonner...Matt must be really good friends with Duncan :lol

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Anderson >>> Mason

Tiago >>> Dice

Dice >>> Ian

Blair 10/11 >>> Blair 09/10

Hill 10/11 >>> Hill 09/10

And hopefully...

Jefferson 10/11 >>> Jefferson 09/10

Plus more minutes for the younger guys like Hairston, Temple, etc.

I think we improved greatly this summer.

timvp
07-09-2010, 06:58 PM
There really isn't any news until we hear what the contract details will be. It could be a decent signing or it could be horrible. We'll see . . .

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't think RJ fits that well with the Spurs (on or off the court) nor do I think he likes it in SA much.

What makes you say all this?

P.S.

Did you ever read my PM, it was fairly urgent.

rayray2k8

Steven A. Smith has already said that shaq wont go to the spurs unless they give him the MLE. Who do you think the spurs gave the MLE to today?

Creation88
all the settling and :he's the best thing we can get" is a load of horseshit. someone take down the names of all of those people, they'll be the first one to bitch about RJ during the season.

ElNono
Anderson >>> Mason

Tiago >>> Dice

Dice >>> Ian

Blair 10/11 >>> Blair 09/10

Hill 10/11 >>> Hill 09/10

And hopefully...

Jefferson 10/11 >>> Jefferson 09/10

Plus more minutes for the younger guys like Hairston, Temple, etc.

I think we improved greatly this summer.

So, we just improved by basically aging... sorry if I don't buy into that one...

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Spurs season because Tony will be healthy and in a contract year. With the Big 3 healthy, they take a lot of the pressure/wear and tear off each other. Though everyone was relatively healthy in the postseason this year, Manu and Tim were worn down from carrying the team without Tony. If Pop can manage all their minutes and they can stay healthy, the Spurs will have a chance, like always.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 07:02 PM
What makes you say all this?
On the court - I thought it was obviously he didn't fit.
Off the court - quite a few people "in the know" have said so.

P.S.

Did you ever read my PM, it was fairly urgent.

Never saw it.

DPG21920

Steven A. Smith has already said that shaq wont go to the spurs unless they give him the MLE. Who do you think the spurs gave the MLE to today?

Buddy Holly
So, we just improved by basically aging... sorry if I don't buy into that one...

By aging?

Huh?

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Never saw it.

Should I email you than?

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
RJ is the best talent the Spurs can get for the money. In that sense, he will be a bargain. But it still won't be worth it because the Spurs can get a cheaper, lesser overall talent but a better fit and that would help the teams chances more now and later imo.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Should I email you than?

Yeah I just looked in my PM box - don't have it. You can email me at [email protected]

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Kori also makes another point that I have. Why pay a guy that you can live without and not take a significant hit on your short-term/long-term goals, who does not fit and who does not want to be here :lol? Makes very little sense to me.

Then again, neither does outbidding yourself on Bonner.

Buddy Holly
Yeah I just looked in my PM box - don't have it. You can email me at [email protected]

Ok, will do.

I'll just copy n paste what I sent to your pm box.

blizz
Tiago is better than Dice? You're kidding me. How do you know? He hasn't played a second of nba ball.

blizz
07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
lol @ outbidding yourself on bonner

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
By aging?

Huh?

Half the the people you listed was better because they're a year older (Hill, Jefferson, Blair). An old Dice is going to be better than Ian because ???... And Tiago is a big unknown. Saying he's going to be better than Dice is also ???
As far as Anderson we agree. The bar set by Mason is not that hight to begin with.

Muser
07-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd rather have Jefferson be a bad fit than a scrub for the LLE start.

Vic Petro
RJ is the best talent the Spurs can get for the money. In that sense, he will be a bargain. But it still won't be worth it because the Spurs can get a cheaper, lesser overall talent but a better fit and that would help the teams chances more now and later imo.

DPG I'm with you mostly on this topic but I disagree with you here. I don't really see any attainable UFA options that would benefit the Spurs now more than Jefferson. I agree he's a terrible fit but I don't see too many guys left that are a better fit for this season.

I maintain the ideal scenario was to trade RJ for a TE and then turn that TE into Morrow or Matthews. However since that seems terribly unlikely at this point, I think RJ is the best SF option for next year.

Still we are in agreement that he will kill them in years 2 through whatever, and the Spurs should have (and hopefully did) exhaust every possible avenue to getting something of value for him.

Das Texan
On the court - I thought it was obviously he didn't fit.

I can only attest for on the court, but watching Dick out there makes me want to puke at how horrible a fit he is in the Spurs system.

Maybe something 'creative' could be done for next year I guess.

*shrugs*

Mhak
DUDE SERIOUSLY.. I NOW CLAIM DPG21920 is as sourpuss and annoying as his avatar in this site!!!!!.

Man Definetely he ok last season and yes you will eat your words. As much i didnt like Jefferson last season he will do ok!! He will not average 19-20 points because we have a lot of option to score next season!! Pay attention to the intangible that he will do next season!! He will improve and many years to come.

Das Texan
07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm just surprised about one thing...with re-signing RJ, signing Splitter, and re-signing Bonner, they put themselves back in luxury tax territory. I'm just kind of shocked that Holt would want to play the luxury tax just to keep Bonner...Matt must be really good friends with Duncan :lol

I would assume one of two things or maybe both

1) The contracts will put the Spurs right up to the tax but not over it

2) Someone else is moving on.

Vic Petro
07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
DUDE SERIOUSLY.. I KNOW CLAIM DPG21920 is as sourpuss and annoying as his avatar in this site!!!!!.

Man Definetely he ok last season and yes you will eat your words. As much i didnt like Jefferson last season he will do ok!! He will not average 19-20 points because we have a lot of option to score next season!! Pay attention to the intangible that he will do next season!! He will improve and many years to come.

Actually I think DPG has the coolest avatar of anyone here...

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:09 PM
If it's 3 years, I can somewhat understand... but if he dropped $15 million, then that means he would need to be making at least $6-7 million to make it worth it.
If they offered 5 years I'm going to puke. A lot.

blizz
I'd rather have Jefferson be a bad fit than a scrub for the LLE start.

seriously? a bad fit KILLS your team...like it did last year.

scottspurs
Tiago is better than Dice? You're kidding me. How do you know? He hasn't played a second of nba ball.

That logic leads me to believe you think JJ Barea is better than John Wall. Splitter played at the highest level in Europe just like Manu Ginobili did and both won MVP.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
That logic leads me to believe you think JJ Barea is better than John Wall. Splitter played at the highest level in Europe just like Manu Ginobili did and both won MVP.

So did Juan Carlos Navarro and Walter Hermann... :rolleyes

jag
07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Off the court - quite a few people "in the know" have said so.

Is he gay? I know I'm gonna have people saying it's none of our business and that it shouldn't matter...blah blah. But if he is, it might explain why he was treated kind of strange by NJ team mates and why he hasn't really fit in in SA. Im not saying it's right...it's just the way things are.

Fabbs
07-09-2010, 07:11 PM
RJ had a rough year. Most players struggle their first year with the Spurs. I think he may surprise many this year. At least he won't (or should not) be asked to play PF anymore.
meant to say above dbestpro that i was not directing my post at you per say, just that several have posted how Popped is "working one on one with RJ".

As you said, when the Numb Nutts in charge asked him to play PF, not surprising that did not work out well. However Dicks rebounds per minutes sucked, and that's even if he was asked to play center.

As to 1st year Spurs stuggling, i think that is a myth used to cover over Popped. (again, not by you per say). His offense has no figuring out to do, throw the ball to Tim and Stand n Veg. Defense, while it was complicated.....

GNob, Brent Barrdog, Man From Nazr, Franky Elson.

In fact Man From Nazr only played 23 reg season games before doing fine in the Championship 2005 Tall Balls playoff run. In fact Brent Barrdog and Nazr made two new Spurs on the floor at the same time.
Championship.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 07:13 PM

I didn't saw Smith's that writing, if it's true we have no shot for Shaq. I'm curious about which contender team is going to offer MLE to Shaq?

Miami? No MLE.
Boston? They used MLE
Lakers? No chance and they used MLE.
Orlando? They used MLE

Only Dallas and Atlanta may offer MLE to him, and if he joins one of them for money, it's weird.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Half the the people you listed was better because they're a year older (Hill, Jefferson, Blair).

Hill will be better because that's what good players do, they get better. Like how he got better from his rookie year to his second year.

Blair will be better because he'll know the system and have a years worth of experience.

I said hopefully Jefferson is better because it'll be his second year with the Spurs and historically players take a year to get with it.

An old Dice is going to be better than Ian because ???...

Because Dice has produced throughout his NBA career while Ian, for whatever reason, hasn't.

And Tiago is a big unknown. Saying he's going to be better than Dice is also ???

Yes, it's a stretch for me to proclaim someone regarded as the best big man overseas who just won a championship and MVP to be better than Dice. Come on now.

lurker23

I don't think we can make that conclusion until we see the details of the contracts. Spurs had 6 guys guaranteed at $51 million, which gave them $19 million to play with. If Splitter got $5 mil, Bonner $3 mil, and Jefferson $7 mil, that's still $4 million to play with to get 4 roster spots. Considering the Gee/Temple/Hairston/Jerrells in the pipeline, as well as Anderson and maybe Richards, $1 mil per spot for 4 spots is very do-able.

Mhak
Actually I think DPG has the coolest avatar of anyone here...

Actually i take that back LAKAlUVA has the most annoying AVATAR ever!! It suites him though

DPG21920
Is he gay? I know I'm gonna have people saying it's none of our business and that it shouldn't matter...blah blah. But if he is, it might explain why he was treated kind of strange by NJ team mates and why he hasn't really fit in in SA. Im not saying it's right...it's just the way things are.

I don't know, but I think it has more to do with his love for NY/NJ. He seems to really want to go back.

scottspurs
07-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Point is sometimes it's about the expectations. I expect Tiago Splitter to be pretty darn good from what I've seen. Not an All-Star, but definitely a legit NBA starting center. I expect him to be All-NBA Rookie Team for sure.

DPG21920
I didn't saw Smith's that writing, if it's true we have no shot for Shaq. I'm curious about which contender team is going to offer MLE to Shaq?

Miami? No MLE.
Boston? They used MLE
Lakers? No chance and they used MLE.
Orlando? They used MLE

Only Dallas and Atlanta may offer MLE to him, and if he joins one of them for money, it's weird.

So now you believe me. I wasn't just making stuff up.

4>0rings
I don't mind RJ... he can only improve from last year it was so bad. Bonner??? Really??? A couple mil more and they could of landed Shaq? :lmao

Muser
seriously? a bad fit KILLS your team...like it did last year.

Starting RJ >> Starting Devin Brown/Keith Bogans.

bigzak25
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
good news then.

Duncan
Splitter
Jefferson (The man better find his 3 pt touch)
Hill
Parker

Manu
McDyess
Blair
Bonner
Anderson

LLE
Vet Min.

Roster is just about set.

Sure would love Shaq with the LLE since RJ will seemingly be back.

Otherwise, get the best SF or big available for the LLE and use the last roster spot for the backup backup PG.

:flag:

Muser
07-09-2010, 07:17 PM

So did Manu Ginobili.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 07:18 PM
DPG I'm with you mostly on this topic but I disagree with you here. I don't really see any attainable UFA options that would benefit the Spurs now more than Jefferson. I agree he's a terrible fit but I don't see too many guys left that are a better fit for this season.

I maintain the ideal scenario was to trade RJ for a TE and then turn that TE into Morrow or Matthews. However since that seems terribly unlikely at this point, I think RJ is the best SF option for next year.

Still we are in agreement that he will kill them in years 2 through whatever, and the Spurs should have (and hopefully did) exhaust every possible avenue to getting something of value for him.

So there are no UFA's that are either better 3 PT shooters or better perimeter defenders than RJ? If one of those is out there, then imo that is better. If there is one who is better at both, then that is more than enough to get what you need imo.

Now, we don't know who can actually be had for the LLE or what ever portion of the MLE will be left after Tiago (if any), but I just don't think the impact and production will be that hard to replace with very little money because RJ was such a bad fit.

I very well could be wrong. We will see. I just don't think, even if it is true that RJ is the best option, that it is worth a long-term deal to keep him.

tuncaboylu
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
So now you believe me. I wasn't just making stuff up.

Ok then. :toast

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
DUDE SERIOUSLY.. I NOW CLAIM DPG21920 is as sourpuss and annoying as his avatar in this site!!!!!.

Well, I dig your style to man. Got the whole foreign poster thing going.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think we can make that conclusion until we see the details of the contracts. Spurs had 6 guys guaranteed at $51 million, which gave them $19 million to play with. If Splitter got $5 mil, Bonner $3 mil, and Jefferson $7 mil, that's still $4 million to play with to get 4 roster spots. Considering the Gee/Temple/Hairston/Jerrells in the pipeline, as well as Anderson and maybe Richards, $1 mil per spot for 4 spots is very do-able.

I assume Splitter gets the full MLE ($5.8M?) and Bonner about $3.2M. So if Jefferson gets $7M, that leaves four spots for $3M. Doable? Sure, but I was hoping they'd spend the LLE on someone. Either way.. they are very close to luxury tax with keeping Bonner.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I assume Splitter gets the full MLE ($5.8M?) and Bonner about $3.2M. So if Jefferson gets $7M, that leaves four spots for $3M. Doable? Sure, but I was hoping they'd spend the LLE on someone. Either way.. they are very close to luxury tax with keeping Bonner.

But Bonner spreads the floor. There's nothing more important for the Spurs than to have at least two people throwing the ball at the hoop from 24 feet away.

TD 21
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Bonner is said to be getting a slight raise. My guess is $3.5 million. No more than $4 million.

They'll either trade McDyess for an SF or combo forward or forgo acquiring an SF, keep McDyess, have quality big man depth and have Pop mess it up by playing mad scientist with the rotation.

My guess is they go with the latter. It's clear they hold Hairston in higher esteem than many and as such, I expect a combination of him, Anderson and Ginobili to play backup SF.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Hill will be better because that's what good players do, they get better. Like how he got better from his rookie year to his second year.

I don't disagree, but at the same time we already know he's no superstar. He played a great series against Dallas, but disappeared against the Suns. I'm not sure what certainty you have it's not going to happen again.

Blair will be better because he'll know the system and have a years worth of experience.

I love Blair, but his minutes went to Bonner. Now we resigned Bonner for a good chunk of change (or so they say), so I don't see that changing either.
Plus Blair doesn't help you against the tall teams in this league (like the Lakers).

I said hopefully Jefferson is better because it'll be his second year with the Spurs and historically players take a year to get with it.

A smaller contract is not going to give him his lateral quickness back, or teach him how to give a crap defending. It might stop him from ill advised cuts to the basket though. Then again, like many people said, I don't think there was a clear cut better option out there (short of a S&T), so you live with it.

Because Dice has produced throughout his NBA career while Ian, for whatever reason, hasn't.

I like Dice, but he's getting long in the tooth. Against some teams Dice will suffice, but teams are getting younger and more athletic, and at some point the bottom will fall off.

Ian never had an NBA career per se, so it's hard to say how he would perform. He's no a Spur anymore, so I don't really care where he goes from here.

Yes, it's a stretch for me to proclaim someone regarded as the best big man overseas who just won a championship and MVP to be better than Dice. Come on now.

Scola was all that and it took him at least a season to fit into the NBA game. Some of those same guys (Navarro and Hermann, that I listed earlier) never did end up fitting at all. So yeah, it's a stretch. I sincerely hope he does play awesome, but I'm a little more realistic in that is going to take a while to get there.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
So did Manu Ginobili.

And Manu was great in his first season, but he couldn't crack the starting lineup. It takes a while to adapt to the NBA game.

EricB
07-09-2010, 07:34 PM
And Manu was great in his first season, but he couldn't crack the starting lineup. It takes a while to adapt to the NBA game.

Only because he had Stephen Jackson and Bruce Bowen in front of him..

Muser
07-09-2010, 07:34 PM

I agree, but i'd put my house on Splitter being >>>>>>>>>> Walter Hermann.

Nathan89
07-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Damn, it's like the FO decided to release all this information in a bundle.

They do not want to make the fans suffer. All at once and real quick like a band-aid.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Scola was all that and it took him at least a season to fit into the NBA game. Some of those same guys (Navarro and Hermann, that I listed earlier) never did end up fitting at all. So yeah, it's a stretch. I sincerely hope he does play awesome, but I'm a little more realistic in that is going to take a while to get there.

Scola averaged 10/6 his rookie year.

That's better than what Dice gave us last season.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Jackson yes, Bowen, no. Bowen was a three not a shooting guard.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Scola averaged 10/6 his rookie year.

That's better than what Dice gave us last season.

Yeah, Dice also played 3 less minutes, and was not the focal offense in the frontcourt. Scola took almost 200 more shots in his rookie season than Dice did for us last year. If you think we're going to make Splitter the focal point of our frontcourt offense, I want you to pass me what you're smoking.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:42 PM

You mean Jax... Bruce was the 3 on that team.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree, but i'd put my house on Splitter being >>>>>>>>>> Walter Hermann.

I really hope so. However, claiming his impact before playing a single minute of NBA action is jumping the gun a little.

Muser
07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Hermann and Splitters games are so different, Splitters game should translate much better to the NBA.

Here's praying anyway.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Anyways, to round up what we were talking about, the only real unknown with potential to really excel is Splitter. We know what everybody else bring to the team. I don't know you could say we 'improved a lot' this offseason with just that.

angelbelow
07-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't think RJ fits that well with the Spurs (on or off the court) nor do I think he likes it in SA much. However, he's probably the best the Spurs can do for the money. So I don't mind him staying. However, he needs to really work on buying into the system and not destroying the spacing.

Well im still hoping the numbers for Bonner are wrong. I dont see how they can justify giving him that kind of money.. esp since i dont think hes worth on the market.

Russ
07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I think RJ is redeemable. Like a kid from a bad background who finally sees the light.

RJ is humbled and redeemable.

Splitter will be significant. Upside, Gasol-light. Downside, Scola.

And that ain't bad.

And Bonner. . .

Bonner. . .

Well, you can't have everything. :)

MaNu4Tres
07-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I love it

Spursmania
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I am late in hearing the news of Bonner resigning. But goddammit. Bonner sucks. Fuck!!!:hang

You Bonner lovers shut up and let me vent. I truly never wanted to see that playoff choker in a Spurs uniform again. :bang:bang:bang:bang

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I am late in hearing the news of Bonner resigning. But goddammit. Bonner sucks. Fuck!!!:hang

You Bonner lovers shut up and let me vent. I truly never wanted to see that playoff choker in a Spurs uniform again. :bang:bang:bang:bangThat's fine, but why do it in the Jefferson thread?

mattyc
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Realistically, there isn't much out there better than RJ. 2nd year in the system will do something for his confidence and Spurs IQ.

He needs to prove himself and I think he might.

Good move.

baseline bum
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
The only thing Bonner spreads is the Spurs ass cheeks when someone penetrates the lane. Bonner and Jefferson are disastrous signings. Neither fits in with this team in any single role other than warm body to kill minutes.

timvp
07-09-2010, 09:39 PM
The only thing Bonner spreads is the Spurs ass cheeks when someone penetrates the lane.

:rollin

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
timvp i think it's safe to change your avatar and profile message

we are doing a horrible job of refueling

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
timvp i think it's safe to change your avatar and profile message

we are doing a horrible job of refueling

The Truth #6
07-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah, sure, hopefully RJ gets better in his second year. Yeah, let's go with that. Because everything we know about him suggests that he's a hard worker who is open to changing his game to accomodate the team.

When we completely suck in a few years RJ can be our Dominique Wilkins. Awesome!

spursfan1000
07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I guess RJ found out he didn't have as many options as he thought. I'm glad hes back, I don't think we can get anyone with better skill then RJ, even though he isnt great for our system, im hoping he can improve a bunch as a 2nd year spur.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Over/under of Richard :cry after 3 months because he really doesn't want to play power forward anymore, while Splitter, Blair and Dice watch from the bench?

cdcast
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Any chance another team changes their mind and contacts RJ this weekend?

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Someone has to offer RJ a contract, right?

AFBlue
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
There really isn't any news until we hear what the contract details will be. It could be a decent signing or it could be horrible. We'll see . . .

Agreed...details are appreciated.

I honestly don't even mind a bigger pricetag if it's for fewer years. Still in wait-and-see mode on this one.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Morrow signed an offer sheet for 3 years and $12M and the Spurs are going to throw money at RJ.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Morrow signed an offer sheet for 3 years and $12M and the Spurs are going to throw money at RJ.They couldn't throw any money at Morrow.

DesignatedT
07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Morrow signed an offer sheet for 3 years and $12M and the Spurs are going to throw money at RJ.

there is no other options.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I am wondering when the dust settles how many Spurs fans will be laughing so much at other teams' deals when they see what the Spurs paid to keep Jefferson and Bonner for 4 more years!

Big P
07-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I am wondering when the dust settles how many Spurs fans will be laughing so much at other teams' deals when they see what the Spurs paid to keep Jefferson and Bonner for 4 more years!

What part of over the cap do you not understand?

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I am wondering when the dust settles how many Spurs fans will be laughing so much at other teams' deals when they see what the Spurs paid to keep Jefferson and Bonner for 4 more years!The other deals will still be laughable, even if the Spurs' deals are as well.

SenorSpur
07-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Yet another reason to question the financial commitment to a guy, who has so colossally underachieved in the postseason.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't think RJ fits that well with the Spurs (on or off the court) nor do I think he likes it in SA much.

You don't want someone who does not really want to be here, and I don't think RJ wants to be here. As soon as he opted out, reports came out about how much he did not like it here because people assumed he was leaving.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
You don't want someone who does not really want to be here, and I don't think RJ wants to be here. As soon as he opted out, reports came out about how much he did not like it here because people assumed he was leaving.So he can sign with some other team.

It's free agency.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Kleiza

ElNono
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM
They couldn't throw any money at Morrow.

Well, technically they could throw the LLE, which probably would not have been sufficient, or try a S&T for him.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah, but she was acting like the Spurs passed up Morrow to offer RJ money. Which they could not.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, technically they could throw the LLE, which probably would not have been sufficientTechnically, they would have been laughed at by his agent.
or try a S&T for him.For whom? The laughing agent still applies.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Kleiza

As much as I criticized BC's offer sheet to Kleiza, it is the same as the Spurs are paying Bonner- and at least it is front-loaded so he won't be so overpaid in 3 years.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Kleiza and Amir.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Plus the Raptors sucked even with Bosh. They are a complete joke now so signing Kleiza and Amir to contracts makes even less sense.

ploto
Yeah, but she was acting like the Spurs passed up Morrow to offer RJ money. Which they could not.

No- it is a price comparison whereby the Spurs will be paying RJ twice what Morrow is getting and for a longer term deal probably.

Who are the Spurs bidding against for RJ. If someone else wants him so much, S&T him.

ElNono
Technically, they would have been laughed at by his agent.

Sure. That doesn't mean we couldn't have signed off an offer sheet.

For whom? The laughing agent still applies.

Bonner or Jefferson

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
No- it is a price comparison whereby the Spurs will be paying RJ twice what Morrow is getting and for a longer term deal probably.

Who are the Spurs bidding against for RJ. If someone else wants him so much, S&T him.For whom?

Sure. That doesn't mean we couldn't have signed off an offer sheet.He signs the offer sheet.

Which he wouldn't.

Cue laughing agent.

Bonner or JeffersonCue laughing GM.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Who are the Spurs bidding against for RJ. If someone else wants him so much, S&T him.

But that is not what you said. You only said this after your mistake. RJ is a better player than Morrow and deserves more. Just because he is a terrible fit with the Spurs, does not make Morrow a better player than him.

If the Spurs wanted him locked up so bad, it would already be done.

BobEX
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM
This was just a bad situation for the Spurs. No MLE to work with thanks to Splitter, the team was already very thin at SF, and I can't imagine any of the other teams being interested in a S&T involving RJ (at least not after last season). Hope the team didn't have to waste too much money on this guy. If it's anything over 3yrs or $20M it'll make trading Bowen/Thomas look like a bad deal in retrospect.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Kleiza and Amir.

So funny how people act as if throwing comments at me about the Raptors matters! As soon as Rasho signs a new deal, my team will change again. I have never made any secret of that. I still hope it's the Rockets or the Heat, but it could be Real Madrid.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
He signs the offer sheet.
Which he wouldn't.
Cue laughing agent.

Sure. Could they throw money at Morrow?

Cue laughing GM.

I'm not so sure another team wouldn't take RJ at $4m per on a 3 year deal. That's less than the MLE.

I just don't think the Spurs want Morrow more than RJ.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Sure. Could they throw money at Morrow?Who? The Spurs? That doesn't even get you a windup.

I'm not so sure another team wouldn't take RJ at $4m per on a 3 year deal. That's less than the MLE.Now RJ's agent is laughing.

ploto
07-09-2010, 11:56 PM
But that is not what you said. You only said this after your mistake.

This is what I wrote--there is no mistake here.

DPG21920
07-09-2010, 11:56 PM
So funny how people act as if throwing comments at me about the Raptors matters! As soon as Rasho signs a new deal, my team will change again. I have never made any secret of that. I still hope it's the Rockets or the Heat, but it could be Real Madrid.

Nice.

ElNono
07-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Who?

Whoever you were talking about here, which I'm pretty sure it's the Spurs:

They couldn't throw any money at Morrow.

Now RJ's agent is laughing.

Is he? I wonder why he's re-signing with the Spurs if he could fetch so much more than MLE money out there...

ChumpDumper
07-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Whoever you were talking about here, which I'm pretty sure it's the Spurs:They can't throw if no one is catching.

Is he? I wonder why he's re-signing with the Spurs if he could fetch so much more than MLE money out there...Are the Spurs paying him less than the MLE?

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:02 AM
They can't throw if no one is catching.

As I said, technically speaking, sure they can.
Why can't they?

Are the Spurs paying him less than the MLE?

I don't know yet. Do you?

ChumpDumper
07-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Why can't they?No catcher.

Seeing as he caught someone else's offer.

Technically speaking.

I don't know yet. Do you?I don't know yet. Do you know Golden State would want RJ more than Morrow?

ElNono
07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
No catcher.
Technically speaking.

touché :toast :lol

I don't know yet. Do you know Golden State would want RJ more than Morrow?

I'm not sure. I think under Nellie he would be a better fit for them than he would be for us, considering he like the fast pace. I'm just not even sure what's Nellie doing these days after that Knicks trade.

angelbelow
07-10-2010, 03:45 AM

Wtf youre are either retarded or trolling.

angelbelow
07-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Why can't they?

I don't know yet. Do you?

Yes but to what end?

Sure they technically can throw the LLE money at him but what does it matter? Im sure the Spurs called the Raptors to explore a Bosh trade but what does it matter now? We dont have enough money to intrigue Morrow and thats that.

will_spurs
07-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Morrow has agreed to offer sheet with Nets anyway, that the Warriors will probably match. In any case the road to Morrow now goes through a trade.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Wtf youre are either retarded or trolling.

She's known for both.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Well, I understand that there are not a lot of fans around here who like RJ but I think signing him for around 6-7 mio a year is a good deal. I don't see any player who is as good as him for that amaount of money. Assuming Splitter will get the full MLE there are not many options left. For the LLE you simply don't get a player like RJ.

Out of the remainig free agents I like Matthews, Wright and Barnes but I doubt you get them with the LLE. I would really love the have this lineup next year:

Parker/Hill
Matthews/ Gino
Jefferson/Anderson (I know he is not really a 3)
Duncan/Blair/ Bonner
Splitter/Dyess

But I guess Matthews will get a better contract somewhere else.

analyzed
07-10-2010, 05:14 AM
$ 7 million for guy who gives you 13 pts a game , rebounds and plays decent defense is pretty good ! Come playoff time most teams rely on a 3 wing player rotation anyway for the bulk of the minutes. So Manu, Anderson and RJ with Hill playing a little 2 is good enough. your 4th wing is simply a time filler for the regular season , I'll settle with Hariston or Bogans anytime . So I guess this is the thing if Anderson can be an impact player and by that i mean avg double figures in the playoffs and hit big shots when open , we should be fine at the wings. There simply is no one left out there who could significantly provide us more for that kind of money

Harry Callahan
07-10-2010, 06:09 AM
$ 7 million for guy who gives you 13 pts a game , rebounds and plays decent defense is pretty good ! Come playoff time most teams rely on a 3 wing player rotation anyway for the bulk of the minutes. So Manu, Anderson and RJ with Hill playing a little 2 is good enough. your 4th wing is simply a time filler for the regular season , I'll settle with Hariston or Bogans anytime . So I guess this is the thing if Anderson can be an impact player and by that i mean avg double figures in the playoffs and hit big shots when open , we should be fine at the wings. There simply is no one left out there who could significantly provide us more for that kind of money

Dallas paid $9-10MM per year for Brenda Heywood (I'm not sure and don't care how its spelled and "Brenda" was on purpose) - a career 9 pt 8 rb player. Erica part dos. But they have money to burn. The actual cost of that contract is $20 per year because of lux tax. So they definitely are burning money. RJ opting out allowed the FA to pay for RJ, Splitter, and Bonner the first year.

I'd love to know if the Spurs FO encouraged RJ to opt out or if that was totally his call. I doubt we will know for sure on that one since the offered have not flowed for Richard. His pride and ego would not allow him to admit it.

FWIW, RJ did have some back issues last year that could have affected his mobility. I hope that was the case.

Now that the Knicks have Felton, the Spurs can work on getting Parker back. The knicks realized after this week that they don't have a birthright to acquire any player they want.

will_spurs
07-10-2010, 06:13 AM
So I guess this is the thing if Anderson can be an impact player and by that i mean avg double figures in the playoffs and hit big shots when open , we should be fine at the wings.

Just a little reality check: List of Spurs rookies who averaged more than 10ppg in the playoffs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=1947&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&lg_id=NBA&franch_id=SAS&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws).

Well actually the list is so short, I can list it here: D-Rob (24.3ppg), Duncan (20.7ppg), Tony Parker (15.5ppg), Sean Elliott (12.7ppg), Reggie Johnson (12.7ppg), Greg Anderson (12.7ppg).

Even Manu averaged only 9.4ppg in the playoffs in his first season, and most Spurs rookies I looked up (including e.g. Hill or Blair) averaged around 3-5ppg in the playoffs during their rookie season.

Darkwaters
07-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Just a little reality check: List of Spurs rookies who averaged more than 10ppg in the playoffs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=1947&year_max=2010&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&lg_id=NBA&franch_id=SAS&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&qual=&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=10&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws).

Well actually the list is so short, I can list it here: D-Rob (24.3ppg), Duncan (20.7ppg), Tony Parker (15.5ppg), Sean Elliott (12.7ppg), Reggie Johnson (12.7ppg), Greg Anderson (12.7ppg).

Even Manu averaged only 9.4ppg in the playoffs in his first season, and most Spurs rookies I looked up (including e.g. Hill or Blair) averaged around 3-5ppg in the playoffs during their rookie season.

If Anderson could chip in 7 ppg in the playoffs and just threaten people with his outside shot and not let defenders sag off him I think it'd be a huge success.

silk
07-10-2010, 06:47 AM
I struggle to see how this guy can fit. Maybe off the bench ?

Parker and Duncan plays well together, Tiago seems complementary with Tim

I'd put george hill who plays very well with tony and can defend and shoot. Four starters, who would be the last one? I'd put Anderson by mid-season and let Blair, Manu and RJ play together off the bench (they have good chemistry together )

PopRocks
07-10-2010, 07:07 AM
let Blair, Manu and RJ play together off the bench (they have good chemistry together )

Agreed. That trio was making great strides together before Tony went down and Manu had to move to the starting line up. After that, RJ looked a little lost again.

A pretty impressive group coming off the bench spelling Duncan, Parker, Hill, Splitter and McDyess and should create match up problems for teams with weaker benches.

TheChillFactor
07-10-2010, 08:01 AM
2nd round exit

bigfan
07-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Reggie Johnson?? Never heard of him.

Agloco
07-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Good catch, but I don't think Anderson needs to average double figures. If we can get 20 points out of the combination of RJ/Anderson at any juncture of the season, that's acceptable. On his own, I expect Anderson to average around 7-8 ppg mostly due to limited playing time.

will_spurs
07-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Reggie Johnson?? Never heard of him.

Me neither but. Drafted by the Spurs in 1980 and averaged more than 10ppg in the playoffs in his rookie year. Traded multiple time and played for Philly when they won it all in 1983. Then disappeared from the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Johnson_%28basketball%29

tuncaboylu
07-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Me neither but. Drafted by the Spurs in 1980 and averaged more than 10ppg in the playoffs in his rookie year. Traded multiple time and played for Philly when they won it all in 1983. Then disappeared from the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Johnson_%28basketball%29

So James Anderson can do either :rollin

PDXSpursFan
07-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm glad we re-signed RJ. What better choices the Spurs have for SF???
I'm confident that RJ will do way better this year. If he can at least get back to shoot 40% from 3's like he did on 2008-09, the Spurs will be in good shape.

smrattler
07-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I really hope so. However, claiming his impact before playing a single minute of NBA action is jumping the gun a little.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/2333751849_e0b89ea8e7.jpg

ElNono
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
bump

ElNono
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Been 10 days... what's the holdup?

ceperez
07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Been 10 days... what's the holdup?

hope the spurs aren't left holding the bag!

timvp
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Looks like 760 got excited after the Splitter scoop and then tried to go 2-for-2.

FeZZy
07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Nobody else wants him

ulosturedge
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
lol I thought this was a new thread. Thanks for giving me mixed emotions. :lol

skinsfan1
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
i hope there other options

ElNono
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
lol I thought this was a new thread. Thanks for giving me mixed emotions. :lol

Sorry about that. It's just been too slow in the Spurs front, and now that the SL is over I don't think we'll hear much at all.

beachwood
07-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Looks like the 2nd round of the playoffs is the new Championship.

Obstructed_View
07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like the 2nd round of the playoffs is the new Championship.

You were expecting the difference between conference semis and a championship to be Richard Jefferson?

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I would still be surprised if he isn't back, nobody else wants him, for good reason..

blizz
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
the longer we hold out on signing him, the cheaper he'll be if we sign him.

Thompson
07-19-2010, 10:49 PM
the longer we hold out on signing him, the cheaper he'll be if we sign him.

Hopefully. Who else is out there that could/would throw big money at him? The Cavs/Nets? I doubt they offer him more than $7 million a year (the Cavs seem to have backed away from offering just $5 million a year to Barnes). Hopefully RJ isn't too bitter when the Spurs offer him $6-7 million for next year when he was going to make $15 million.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Personally, I hope we don't sign him. RJ, a proven poor fit for the team who just turned 30, would be a disasterous signing for 7-10mil over 4 years, which is probably what he's seeking. That is exactly the kind of overpaying of mediocre players that the Spurs DON'T engage in.

I say resist the urge, magically nab Rasual for 2.3mil/3 years, and get ready to see some real time for Gee and Hairston. Time to get young and athletic.

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 11:18 PM
At this point, anything more than 3yrs/20M would just be stupid.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
At this point, anything more than 3yrs/20M would just be stupid.

That I could live with, although I honestly don't think RJ is the way forward for our team. Also, having just left 15mil for ONE season on the table, don't you think RJ would be resentful if signed to that contract? He doesn't really seem to be tight within the team anyway, and I think a contract that reasonable might fuck up his attitude! :lol

ohmwrecker
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
That is exactly the kind of overpaying of mediocre players that the Spurs DON'T engage in.

Have you heard of this Bonner kid?

Mel_13
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM
That I could live with, although I honestly don't think RJ is the way forward for our team. Also, having just left 15mil for ONE season on the table, don't you think RJ would be resentful if signed to that contract? He doesn't really seem to be tight within the team anyway, and I think a contract that reasonable might fuck up his attitude! :lol

Pretty much. I'm ready to cut him loose and take our chances with the young guys and best FA 2.4M can buy.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Have you heard of this Bonner kid?

If his contract is around 12/4 with incentives (ie. 3mil a year), which there is some indication that it is, it's not ideal but it's not a cap-killer either. Pop likes to have a stretch 4, and it's hard to find even a half-decent one of those for 3mil per. I personally would have gone with Steve Novak for the minimum, but 3mil per for Bonner is not a disaster... 8mil per for RJ would be!

07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
jefferson is not going to be a happy camper next season. after losing $15 million and probably going to have to settle for much less, he's going to be pretty disgruntled. i don't want him back for this reason. i still think a S&T is the best for both parties. hopefully, the spurs pull one out of their ass.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Pretty much. I'm ready to cut him loose and take our chances with the young guys and best FA 2.4M can buy.

Glad to hear I'm not insane then. :toast

I'd say the forum is 80/20 against seriously blooding either Hairston or Gee, but I think they are the kinds of players that will succeed in the new, ultra-athletic NBA.

Other teams uncover talented youth when they actually give their kids playing time (Morrow, Matthews, etc), who is to say our kids can't blossom as well? look at Hill and Blair for example.

Time we play the kids!

alchemist
07-20-2010, 01:17 AM
RJ wants $10 mil per, hopefully the Spurs don't get excited and re-sign him

DMC
07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Damn, here I was hoping someone added a space in "resign" by accident.

DMC
07-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Matt Bonner. Every time I hear that name I think "Matt Damon" from Team America, except I think Damon could probably dribble the ball better than Bonner.

easy7
07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
It is insane to have almost the same roster and expect a different result this year. Insane indeed.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-20-2010, 07:13 AM
It is insane to have almost the same roster and expect a different result this year. Insane indeed.

Normally I would be inclined to agree w/ you, however; the pleathorea of injuries last season, the young players who played a significant role last season, and the general rule that players take about a season to really get the Spurs system were all factors in that roster's performance. Tiago Splitter could also provide this team w/ a much needed inside presence to compliment Tim. Antonio McDyess could very well have an improved season on his farewell tour.

Presently I'm hoping that RJ comes back because talented swing players always tend to have good second years under Popovich.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-20-2010, 07:14 AM

Normally I would be inclined to agree w/ you, however; the pleathorea of injuries last season, the young players who played a significant role last season, and the general rule that players take about a season to really get the Spurs system were all factors in that roster's performance. Tiago Splitter could also provide this team w/ a much needed inside presence to compliment Tim. Antonio McDyess could very well have an improved season on his farewell tour.

Presently I'm hoping that RJ comes back because talented swing players always tend to have good second years under Popovich.

K-State Spur
07-20-2010, 07:14 AM

the combination of additions of splitter, anderson, and a healthy parker + the further development hill and blair and temple + jefferson and mcdyess improving (if only a little) in their second years in the system should be greater than the collective declines of duncan and ginobili for this year.

so there is a reasonable expectation that the team be better than it was last year. it may require some things to right and still probably not enough to surpass the lakers, but a better team nonetheless.

now, this offseason hasn't gone spectacular, but i'd argue that there weren't moves to be made that would have propelled the spurs back up to the top (at least no moves that didn't involve a chris wallace type favor). i never viewed splitter as more than a 50/50 shot, so his signing alone makes this a (mild) success in my eyes.

sa_butta
07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Obviously I hope he turns it around this year... If we are going to get anywhere this season...we need him to be who we thought he was when he first came.

Blackjack
07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
the combination of additions of splitter, anderson, and a healthy parker + the further development hill and blair and temple + jefferson and mcdyess improving (if only a little) in their second years in the system should be greater than the collective declines of duncan and ginobili for this year.

so there is a reasonable expectation that the team be better than it was last year. it may require some things to right and still probably not enough to surpass the lakers, but a better team nonetheless.

now, this offseason hasn't gone spectacular, but i'd argue that there weren't moves to be made that would have propelled the spurs back up to the top (at least no moves that didn't involve a chris wallace type favor). i never viewed splitter as more than a 50/50 shot, so his signing alone makes this a (mild) success in my eyes.

Agree. Well said. :tu

Even if everything goes right health-wise and their pieces come through, there's a pretty good chance they don't have enough to win a championship without a trade. But given all they really could've done this offseason and what tools they had at their disposal, there's not much more you could have really hoped for realistically.

RiverwalkParade
07-20-2010, 08:15 AM
If TP is healthy all season last year, we may have been the number two or three seed. We dropped two on the RRT that should have been gimmees (PHIL and DET I think), lost to LA without Kobe and lost to Cleveland without Lebitch and gave the Mavs the final game of the season.

We only finished five games back, so a few minor adjustments, and good health and we should be pretty damn good this year. This squad just needs stability and chemistry. As long as the TP extension can be handled quietly, RJ doesn't half-ass it due to a lesser contract and Bonner doesn't start, we could finish in the top 4 this season in the West.

superbigtime
07-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Not disappointed at all with bringing RJ back, especially for a cheaper price, especially given what $ the Spurs have to spend. There is no move as dumb as signing Matt fucking Bonner to a four year deal. Signing him at all could be debated, but four years?? With a pay RAISE?? Bonner has sucked every year, while Jefferson has struggled for only one year. RJ is going to be better than he was last year. Matt Bonner won't.

SpurCharger
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
RJ For A Cheaper Price.... and he will better Acclimated in the Spurs System should be A huge win for the Spurs....

K-State Spur
07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Not disappointed at all with bringing RJ back, especially for a cheaper price, especially given what $ the Spurs have to spend. There is no move as dumb as signing Matt fucking Bonner to a four year deal. Signing him at all could be debated, but four years?? With a pay RAISE?? Bonner has sucked every year, while Jefferson has struggled for only one year. RJ is going to be better than he was last year. Matt Bonner won't.

I'm not as bothered by the Bonner re-signing as most. He's a documented playoff choker, but he does have proven regular season value (and we're at the point now where just simply showing up and making the playoffs as a high seed is no longer assured).

There was no even adequate stretch 4 that we could sign who wouldn't have eaten into our very limited exemption space.

Bonner may be overpaid (but - again - he was the only player out there who could be signed without eating up an exemption) for his role - but he does fill a role...

...It's just a question of whether or not Pop uses him in that LIMITED role correctly. I know some people here just assume that Pop loves him and will give him extended minutes, but with Blair/Splitter/Dyess/Duncan all commanding PT - I don't think we'll see as much of Bonner as we have the last 2 years. Many on this board also assumed that Pop would never give Hill PT at the expense of Finley. He waited 1 year too long, but he did do it.

Sausage
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

Heard this (a la @Buster_ESPN): Spurs and Richard Jefferson will be officially reunited soon

Shastafarian
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
This is the week, by all accounts, that San Antonio and Richard Jefferson will complete the restructured deal that we’ve all assumed had to be forthcoming since Jefferson stunningly opted out of a $15 million salary for next season on the eve of free agency. The specifics in terms of years and dollars remain unknown, but I’ve been assured that Jefferson will officially be back with the Spurs quite soon.

DPG21920
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Gross.

Cane
07-20-2010, 12:33 PM
As expected. Best of the realistic options left and here's hoping that another year in the system will help the Spurs.