PDA

View Full Version : <Insert whottt gloat here>

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 04:51 PM
eom.

SpursWoman
05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd be very, very happy for whottt to have something to gloat about.....I even bet on Barry to be the leading scorer this game at like 25-1 hoping it would at least help him a bit.

Gloat whottt, gloat!!

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 04:59 PM
C'mon slick. You earned this.

picnroll
05-22-2005, 05:08 PM
lol.

Keep it up Barry. We can handle whottt's gloating.

smeagol
05-22-2005, 06:12 PM
He deserves gloating. AHF too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I new he had it in him, especially against poor defensive teams. He keeps it up for the next two series, then I'll gloat :)

2centsworth
05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
This is Barry's style of play.

boutons
05-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Bitching about Brent has been fully justified.

Brent's always been capable of doing all season what he did today.

Brent has a LOT of production to make up.

Today was an excellent start.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
It's funny that Barry went off after quite possibly his single worst play of the season.

Good thing that wimping out on the layup isn't going to be the lasting impression.

T Park
05-22-2005, 06:19 PM
He keeps it up for the next two series, then I'll gloat

and ill gladly eat crow all summer long.

I hope im on an atkins diet laden crow diet all summer long.

MAKE ME EAT CROW PLEASE BRENT!!!

Today was a fantastic start.

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm on board with the idea that this series is one that should allow Barry to excel, mostly for the reasons we saw today. He'll get open looks because the Suns will have to double Tim and he's patient enough to effectively share the ball in the kind of free-flowing offense that the Suns allow teams to play. He also can't be overly concerned with defense, because the Spurs know they aren't going to stop the Suns altogether -- I think reasonable fans knew this all along, though some in here disputed that idea, and to the extent that there was any question, Pop's comments after Game 1 acknowledged that idea.

Going forward, I'd be surprised if Barry shot this well and scored this effectively, but if he causes the Suns to be a step slow on double-teaming Tim, he's done all that the Spurs can ask. That's the idea with a perimeter killer -- he's here to help relieve the pressure on Timmy, and he's off to a great start.

whottt
05-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Just stop calling the dude a choker or heartless, and don't ever compare him to Hedo again...Hedo tanked his way into a starting job and didn't care about winning, he cared about getting paid...look at what team he chose to play for(the team with the WORST record in the NBA last season) and then look at what team Barry chose to play for(the title favorite at reduced pay). Barry came here to win a ring...just like Bowen. Heartless players don't do that.

They also don't have one of the biggest games of their playoff career, on the road, against the team with the best record in the NBA, in the biggest game they have ever played.

When was the last time the Spurs won game 1 of a series in which they didn't have HCA...My guess is the Drob era.

Heartless and choking is worst label you can stick on a player and tossing it around lightly deameans the value of the word...save it for the guy that truly chokes, IE the guy who tears it up in the regular season and then totally tanks when he is wide open and being dared to shoot in the playoffs, and not one that has struggled adjusting to a new REDUCED role on a team that plays totally different style of basketball than he has ever played before in his career. And hardly ever sees important minutes in the 4th.

I give props to Pop for 2 reasons...

He used Barry as the back up PG and let him handle the ball...more than he has in any game this season...I think it's because saw what Barry did in the 6 against the Sonics.

I wonder why I have bitched every loss Barry didn't get meaningful PT in the 4th.

Barry has been money when made a part of the offense

whottt
05-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Why in the hell do you guys think he's going to be more open? The Suns just learned the same lesson the Nuggets learned and that the Sonics already knew...he's not a fucking choker. He's going to be less open...he's not gonna get two inches to get a shot off until the Suns face elimination...the flipside is Duncan will not be getting double teamed. D'Antoni is a smart coach...and daring the 17th best 3 shooter in NBA history to shoot is fucking stupid. I dunno why you guys think George Karl and McMillian would do tha either...they didn't.

BTW Shoogar...if Barry was so nutless why the hell was he at the rim anyway? IT's getting to the rim that's the hard part...Unselfish does not = nutless. It was stupid though...just like it's stupid when he passes it to Nazr 15 feet from the basket...that's being unselfish to the point of stupidity.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 06:45 PM
BTW Shoogar...if Barry was so nutless why the hell was he at the rim anyway? IT's getting to the rim that's the hard part...Unselfish does not = nutless. It was stupid though...just like it's stupid when he passes it to Nazr 15 feet from the basket...that's being unselfish to the point of stupidity.
Well, Hedo used to get to the rim all the time, too. And you remember how that usually turned out.

MadDog73
05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Props to Whottt. He took a lot of shit on this thread (from me included) but never backed off his man.

You were right, Whottt. We were wrong. I don't care if Barry sucks for the rest of the playoffs, winning game 1 on the road against the Suns is worth every penny we've paid you.

That said, I don't think he will back off. I actually thought he might go off in game 6 vs the Sonics after he hit that three, but then he fouled out.

So, props to Brent, and may the good shooting continue.

timvp
05-22-2005, 06:54 PM
He used Barry as the back up PG and let him handle the ball...more than he has in any game this season...I think it's because saw what Barry did in the 6 against the Sonics.

BS.

I wonder why I have bitched every loss Barry didn't get meaningful PT in the 4th.

Bowen isn't going to effective against the Suns and PHX will dare the Spurs to shoot, so Barry is a no-brainer.

I had a good feeling about him coming into the game. This is the free-wheeling, fast paced, let it fly type team he can burn. He's a great shooter and with the Suns daring the Spurs to hit a shot, he was going to hit some.

Barry played the role the Spurs needed him to and the Suns dared him to.

whottt
05-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, Hedo would blow the layup...Hedo shot under 40% from 2...Barry routinely shoots over 50%...in fact he usually lead the team from that range...

It was a stupid play..he was up in the air at the freaking rim...but I know why he passed because Bowen's defender came towards him and Bowen was wide open...but Barry always passes that way...he doesn't watch his teamates when he handles the ball...he watches their defenders...the second one of them takes a step towards him it is virtually physically impossible for them to get back to their man with all their momentum going the opposite direction...that's why he passes so quickly...that's what makes him IMO a brilliant passer...but he does need to discriminate and use a little common sense...and catches his teamates off guard when he does it because they are looking for different things.

There was a game against Seattle where Barry made one of those passes to Manu...and Manu looked fucking pissed...then he realized there wasn't a defender within 10 feet of him...and it freaked him out and he bricked the shot...but he was wide fucking open.

But being unselfish can be a fault...

IE...don't pass it to poor Bruce when when fucking Bruce is trying to get into position to get a rebound because you are position to dunk it, even with 2 defenders on you...and don't ever pass it to Nazr 15 feet from the basket when he is penetrating...that's carrying the "all teamates are equal" team play credo to the extreme...

whottt
05-22-2005, 06:59 PM
BS.

Bowen isn't going to effective against the Suns and PHX will dare the Spurs to shoot, so Barry is a no-brainer.

I had a good feeling about him coming into the game. This is the free-wheeling, fast paced, let it fly type team he can burn. He's a great shooter and with the Suns daring the Spurs to hit a shot, he was going to hit some.

Barry played the role the Spurs needed him to and the Suns dared him to.

"Don't leave Barry open again, don't even let him get the ball" - Spoken by Mike D'antoni in the 4th quarter of this game.

Duncan has no lift and is short on a ton of his shots...it's a bad gamble to dare any shooters on this team to beat you...to stop a crippled Duncan playing on two bad ankles...

timvp
05-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Key word being "again".

The Suns came into the game saying they'll let the Spurs shoot all the jumpers they wanted. Alvin Gentry even said that if the Spurs hit 50 jumpers and win, they can live with it.

That's why it added up to a big game for Barry. He's the best shooter on the team and would eventually get into a shooting rhythm.

And although Jim Jackson abused him sometimes on defense, the Suns run an up and down pace that allows Barry to use his quick hands and open court speed. This series is so made for Billion Barry to shine it isn't even funny.

T Park
05-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Duncan has no lift and is short on a ton of his shots

yeah i could tell on those hook shots in the lane in the 4th quarter.

whottt
05-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey TimVP...I know Barry is shooting 49% from the field now and 42% from 3...

But since I still haven't mastered the art of subtracting a players best games to get an accurate total of their stats I have a hard time figuring out what his "real" stats are...could you help me out?

All I know is he quintipled balsy AJ's career playoff 3 total in a single quarter...I know AJ was never left open..but still.

I am just glad the Spurs didn't win by more than 10 points or else this game wouldn't have counted...

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
So what will D'Antoni's adjustment be?

Single coverage on Duncan all game?

Doubling off someone else?

Dusting off Outlaw/Bosco?

Pre-loosened water bottles?

timvp
05-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Hey TimVP...I know Barry is shooting 49% from the field now and 42% from 3...

But since I still haven't mastered the art of subtracting a players best games to get an accurate total of their stats I have a hard time figuring out what his "real" stats are...could you help me out?

All I know is he quintipled balsy AJ's career playoff 3 total in a single quarter...I know AJ was never left open..but still.

I am just glad the Spurs didn't win by more than 10 points or else this game wouldn't have counted...

Since this game wasn't over by halftime, it counts. Congrats.

Barry came through like he should against a team daring the Spurs to hit from the outside.

Congrats. Go celebrate.

Send me the bill.

:smokin

whottt
05-22-2005, 07:29 PM
D'antoni is not going to double off Barry when he is inletting the ball on 4 down...I know that....and most importantly...Duncan actually looks for Barry now and if he does Barry will get the same kind of looks Kerr got to hit those shots....Teams haven't been doubling Duncan in this post season like they have in other years anyway...

Duncan still has a second defender cheating towards him on most plays...but he's not getting fully doubled until the ball on the floor...

Phil Jackson was the master of guessing the weak link and was the only one that ever sucessfuly figured out how to disrupt the Spurs by doubling Duncan. He's not around so I don't expect extensive doubling of Duncan...As long as the other team considers Barry(and others) a threat on the perimeter Duncan's job is much much easier.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
The fact is that if the Spurs continue to get this kind of production from Parker, Barry, and Horry then Phoenix is helpless.

The only "adjustments" the so-called Phoenix "defense" can make is whether to decide to double Tim earlier in the game and earlier in the possessions. They aren't going to clog the lane and they aren't going to get physical.

I think their best shot is to continue to gamble that Tim's ankles won't hold up and that he'll force shots.

whottt
05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Since this game wasn't over by halftime, it counts. Congrats.[/auote]

Barry scored most of his points in the first half of that game...I know he was 3-3 or something in the first quarter...

[quote]Barry came through like he should against a team daring the Spurs to hit from the outside.

Congrats. Go celebrate.

Send me the bill.

:smokin

It's sad that the only grudging respect this player can get is when he scores 20 points off the bench and shoots 5-5 or something in the 4th...And it's not going to change...if Barry doesn't shoot 67% from the field and 60% from 3 he'll get ripped as heartless and a choker...Ahh he'll do that easy. As long as POP keeps the doing the things he has been doing in the past 2 games he'll be off my shit list for a while...

I might even pick the Spurs to win this series...nah fuck that...it'll never happen...Suns in 7.

Just think of all those 1-5 games he didn't play in the 4th...then think of the ones he did...the Double OT's, the Laker game, the Rockets ass kicking, the Sonics ass kicking...the Nets comeback, and of course the other Suns game.

timvp
05-22-2005, 07:35 PM
It's like the Spurs had to play with ankle weights on against the tough, aggressive defenses of the Nuggets and Sonics. Against the Suns, those ankle weights are off and they are free to do what they want.

jalbre6
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I might even pick the Spurs to win this series...nah fuck that...it'll never happen...Suns in 7.

:lol Will the streak continue? News at 10.

Athenea
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Most ppl here think the only thing that matter is the W.
Why in the heck r discussing the plusplusplusplusplus that Barry gave us today???
I've been always w/Whottt about Barry's problems: the system (waiting outside the 3pt line like a tree), the pace (stagnant offense :depressed ), and the lack of involving in the offense (he NEEDS the ball in his hands).
If Pop keeps using Barry like this, this game won't be 1 in a lifetime...It's Pop's call to make Barry effective.
Whottt, U WERE RIGHT ON TARGET!

Manu20
05-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Props to Barry. He better bring it on tuesday.

http://www.nba.com/media/barry_uniform_040727.jpg

BELIEVE

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 07:57 PM
waiting outside the 3pt line like a treeDidn't he get half his shots that way?

Athenea
05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Didn't he get half his shots that way?
:blah :lol U r pissed coz u r getting owned again??!! :angel

ps: change the "whottt's owner" thing :smokin

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Answer the question.

I said earlier today that Barry should do well in this series, so you got nothing.

A also said he played about as well as should have been expected last series.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 08:07 PM
BTW, did you watch the game?

Was it on in Argentina?

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:15 PM
:lol Will the streak continue? News at 10.

Jailbre...now that you are here tell TimVP and Kori what you want my title to be...plain and simple I said Nuggets in 6 and it didn't happen....

I lost the bet...it's bad karma not to pay up on it(at least during the playoffs ;)). Althought I don't know if it's a good idea to change it while the playoffs are in progress.

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks athenea...any chance I'll get those oft promised nude photos now for being right?

smeagol
05-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Was it on in Argentina?
I understand it was on ESPN Latin America.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Barry had a 40 second run (I believe in the third) that was a thing of beauty -- he launched two thirty foot shots with no hesitation. Jack-type shots at Jason Williams range. He seemed to finally realize that he is the best option in these situations, that there's no need to look for anyone else. Horry did the same kind of thing on a heat check after a made three. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, sometimes it breaks a play, but that's simply the mentality that can help more than hurt when you have the ability Horry and Barry have and have had all along.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I understand it was on ESPN Latin America.Good, just asking. If that's so, then everyone knows the kind of shots Barry was getting.

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Barry had a 40 second run (I believe in the third) that was a thing of beauty -- he launched two thirty foot shots with no hesitation. Jack-type shots at Jason Williams range. He seemed to finally realize that he is the best option in these situations, that there's no need to look for anyone else. Horry did the same kind of thing on a heat check after a made three. Sometimes it doesn't make sense, sometimes it breaks a play, but that's simply the mentality that can help more than hurt when you have the ability Horry and Barry have and have had all along.

Very well said.

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:25 PM

That's great logic...and it works fine...as long as they make the shot where they break the offense...if they miss it Pop will have their ass for dinner.

Stephen Jackson broke the offense in game 6 gainst the Nets too...Horry has done it several times in these playoffs...

Brent Barry is never going to break the offense though, just like David Robinson or Steve Kerr never would either.....he's going to do what the book says he should do...if you want him involved then involve him. If he does break it it's not going to be by jacking up a bad shot...he'll do it by making a risky transition pass...

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Shouldn't you be allowed to gloat when your player does well only if you actually show your face after your player has the worst game of anyone in the entire playoffs?

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
That's great logic...and it works fine...as long as they make the shot where they break the offense...if they miss it Pop will have their ass for dinner.Rob wasn't pulled after his heat check.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:28 PM
BTW, it was good to see Barry perform. I'm hoping he can keep it up because Bowen isn't going to be incredibly useful. I'm pulling for him, but I'll have to see him step up a few more times before I'm a believer.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm hoping he can keep it up because Bowen isn't going to be incredibly useful.

Bowen?

He was pretty useful at shutting down Marion.

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Shouldn't you be allowed to gloat when your player does well only if you actually show your face after your player has the worst game of anyone in the entire playoffs?

Oh but he had said everything he could about Barry. (Disregard his last 200 posts concerning Barry after game six.)

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:32 PM

Shouldn't you own up and admit you are wrong for labeling a guy a choker?

Shouldn't you apologize for saying a player has always underperformed in the playoffs, when in fact he hasn't...like his first playoffs...

Shouldn't you also apologize for saying Steve Kerr never struggled in the playffs and was a proven commodity...when in fact he once shot 50% in the regular season from 3 and didn't make a single fucking 3 in the playoffs that year?

Try to get it...Kerr is the best regular season 3 shooter in NBA history....and his career playoff PCT is worse than Barry's.

Shouldn't you aplogize for alluding that Kerr's numbers have gone up int he playoffs...when in fact they are lower across the board in every category?>

IOW...shouldn't you apologize for being flat out wrong and having a clear double standard and different rules for different players...and if you aren't then disprove it here and now.

Good luck.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Bowen?

Unbelievable that after all these years, Spurs fans of all people still don't appreciate what Bruce Bowen does.

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Whottt could have been the greatest poster of all-time if he only would have posted after game five instead of pulling the internet version of Brent Barry passing up that layup in the first quarter.

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh but he had said everything he could about Barry. (Disregard his last 200 posts concerning Barry after game six.)

LMAO....another classic from TimVP...

You redefing playing both sides...

If Barry had sucked today you would have just ripped even worse than you usually do..

You had nothing to lose by taking the stance you took...

Simple logic...call him a choker etc wehn he has a bad game...then ride his jock when he has good one...if he has a bad game call him a choker again...it's called waffling.

You are the only I know that makes the simultaneous claim that Barry is a choking heartless bitch while saying you had faith in him all season long...and you call me out for riding both sides? The only one that will buy that is TPark...

My stance hasn't changed from day 1...I defended against the heartless allegation..the 0-3 didn't change it...and you should know that.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Bowen?

He did a good job against Marion. But I don't see him getting as many minutes as the series goes on unless Joe Johnson gets back soon. If Barry plays well again, he'll get a lot of those minutes. And Glenn Robinson may sometime see floor time in this series.

The Suns don't have a superstar wing player like the Nuggets and Sonics did. I would be surprised if he doesn't play less minutes in this series.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
But I don't see him getting as many minutes as the series goes on unless Joe Johnson gets back soon.

You're crazy. If Bowen keeps locking Marion down like he did today he will get as many minutes as Matrix.

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
You are the only I know that makes the simultaneous claim that Barry is a choking heartless bitch while saying you had faith in him all season long...and you call me out for riding both sides?

I never said I had faith in him all season long. But I do have faith in him against one of the worst defensive teams who's gameplan is to force the Spurs to hit shots.

The best shooter on the team was shoot well when wide open.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Interesting, Brodels.

But you realize that he didn't guard their wingman - he guarded their 4 - Marion.

And Marion will be playing, so Bowen will likely get a fair share of minutes.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Shouldn't you own up and admit you are wrong for labeling a guy a choker?

I said that his performance in the playoffs has almost always been worse than his performance in regular seasons. That's all I said. And it's true. It's not difficult to watch some tape and look at numbers.

Shouldn't you apologize for saying a player has always underperformed in the playoffs, when in fact he hasn't...like his first playoffs...

He's underperformed virtually every year in the playoffs. Fact.

You blamed it on him playing for crappy teams. But he's been pretty horrible in the playoffs this time around until today. Then you blamed it on Pop. If Barry disappears again, I'm curious to see if you'll return to the Pop excuse or if you'll make something else up.

I'm glad he played well. I think he's a good player, but I still stand by the fact that his performance declines in the playoffs. Are there exceptions? Sure, but there are very few. Poor playoff showings have been the trend with Brent. I showed you stats. All you did is try to justify it by saying that Barry played on sucky teams and that Pop sucks.

Shouldn't you also apologize for saying Steve Kerr never struggled in the playffs and was a proven commodity...when in fact he once shot 50% in the regular season from 3 and didn't make a fucking 3 in the playoffs that year?

I never said it. I said that Kerr was a proven playoff performer. I didn't say that he never struggled. When he played for the Spurs, he was most certainly a proven playoff performer.

Shouldn't aplogize for alluding that Kerr's numbers have gone up int he playoffs...when in face they are lower across the board in every category?

I never alluded to anything. All I said was that he was a proven performer. You're just making up all of the other stuff. Kerr had incredibly clutch moments in the playoffs for the Spurs. Brent hadn't done that until today.

Fact.

IOW...shouldn't you apologize for being flat out wrong and having a clear double standard and different rules for different players...and if you aren't then disprove it here and now.

What players are you talking about? I stated that Brent's numbers suck in the playoffs and you try to turn it into this. I'd like to know what different rules I have for different Spurs players. Please explain.

Barry's numbers are worse in the playoffs. Fact. You lose.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:47 PM
My stance hasn't changed from day 1...I defended against the heartless allegation..the 0-3 didn't change it...and you should know that.

Except that you don't show your face and defend him when he totally sucks.

At least several Barry haters are here giving him props for his performance today.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Interesting, Brodels.

But you realize that he didn't guard their wingman - he guarded their 4 - Marion.

And Marion will be playing, so Bowen will likely get a fair share of minutes.

I realize that. But as the series goes on, the Spurs simply aren't going to afford to have him on the floor if the Suns are going to play sucky defense like they did tonight. Bowen isn't going to contribute much offensively no matter what the Suns do on defense. With the tempo being quick and the points going up on the board quickly, the Spurs will be better off with Barry or Robinson a lot of the time.

He's one of my favorite players and I recongize that he did a good job against Marion. But while Allen and Melo had the ball in their hands and were asked to create, Marion doesn't get isolated very much. He gets offensive rebounds, slashes, and cleans up messes. He's not going to get a lot of isolations in the series, so I don't think that covering him with an all-NBA defender is a necessity. Bowen is most useful when he's defending players that have the ball in their hands often. Marion is a great player, but he's not going to have the ball in his hands a lot. He's going to finish and clean up.

If Joe Johnson returns, Bowen will become more important. I'd also like to see Bruce get some time against Nash. I think he might be long enough to make it more difficult for Steve to pull up and hit that mid-range jumper.

We'll see what happens. I'm not underappreciating Bowen, but I still maintain that he won't be as useful as he usually is.

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Except that you don't show your face and defend him when he totally sucks.

At least several Barry haters are here giving him props for his performance today.

True.

A lot of us could have pulled a Whottt and gone on a 52 hour hiatus after this game. Luckily, most of us have courage and aren't scared and will show up when the chips are down.

Whottt proved he doesn't. Billion Barry is a work in progress, at least.

T Park
05-22-2005, 08:57 PM
I love being wrong about Brent Barry.

I love it when Brent Barry shuts me up and makes me look bad.

I love it when Brent Barry is TAKING threes and bagging them.

HE COULD DO THAT EVERY GAME IF HE SUSTAINED THE AGRESSIVENESS!!!!!

timvp
05-22-2005, 08:57 PM
We'll see what happens. I'm not underappreciating Bowen, but I still maintain that he won't be as useful as he usually is.

I thought the same thing coming into this series. The game tapes I watched of the Spurs vs. Suns games earlier in the year, Bowen was a huge liability on offense. That was another reason why I thought Barry was going to have a big outing.

That said, if he can hold Marion to three points again on Tuesday, they might as well prepare the 2006 DPOY trophy with Bowen's name on it.

T Park
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
If Bowen can just knock down his open shots they would be alright.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I love being wrong about Brent Barry.

I love it when Brent Barry shuts me up and makes me look bad.

I love it when Brent Barry is TAKING threes and bagging them.

HE COULD DO THAT EVERY GAME IF HE SUSTAINED THE AGRESSIVENESS!!!!!

Exactly.

SPARKY
05-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Billion Barry is worthwhile as long as there are less than stellar defensive units like Phoenix, Dallas, and Sacto making the playoffs every season.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 08:59 PM
If Joe Johnson returns, Bowen will become more important.

I think he's going to be back by Game 3. But either way, Bowen always splits time between guarding JJohnson/QRich and Marion when they play the Suns (and always sees a little time on Nash). So I think that he'll have plenty to do in this series. Barry was hot today -- that's why Bowen saw less minutes; it's not going to happen every game. Bowen still needs to hover around the 30 mpg mark in this series.

T Park
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
bowen NEEDS TO HIT HIS WIDE OPEN THREES!!!

God it was killing me how wide open he was today and bricking it.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 09:08 PM

I'm not worried about that. He'll make that shot more than not. I'm worried about him doing absolutely anything else with ball on the offensive end.

I have give him credit for that drive and spin move today though. That was quality.

I'm off to bed. But I'm sure this thread won't die easily, so I'll check back tomorrow.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 09:10 PM
He'll make that shot more than not. I'm worried about him doing absolutely anything else with ball on the offensive end.

Bowen's job is not complex (note: that doesn't mean it's easy) ... run the floor, hit corner 3's, play stellar D. He doesn't need any in between game. If he can score 6-9 points and shut guys down, that's it.

Brodels
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Bowen's job is not complex (note: that doesn't mean it's easy) ... run the floor, hit corner 3's, play stellar D. He doesn't need any in between game. If he can score 6-9 points and shut guys down, that's it.

I agree. I'm less worried about him not scoring. I'm more worried about him trying to score by doing things other than shooting open threes. He's improved, but he still gets into lots of trouble when he puts the ball on the floor. It's scary sometimes.

That having been said, this is the perfect series to give a better offensive player more minutes. I truly believe that his defensive ability isn't going to make a huge difference in the series because Marion and Johnson and Jackson just don't have the ball in their hands very much. And Bowen excels as an on-the-ball defender against guys getting lots of touches.

He'll be fine in this series. But in this one series, I wouldn't cry if he got a little less time or he spend some additional time defending Nash. We'll see what happens. I like Bowen a lot. And I know he'll contribute somehow.

I'm really off to bed now.

SPARKY
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
The Spurs need to have the ability to get defensive stops. The Spurs did score a shitload today, but that was due in no small part to Phoenix coming down and jacking up shots so damn early in the shotclock.

TwoHandJam
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM

I second that. :depressed

MI21
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Bowen still needs to get 30-32mpg against Phoenix, despite his liabilities offensively.

I could see how that could maybe dip a little if Devin Brown was active, because he would be able to play good solid defense on Richardson, Johnson, Jackson and perhaps Marion, but he isn't available right now so Bowen is a huge neccessity.

Flea
05-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Hurray for Barry! Please prove me wrong again on tuesday!!!! :spin

whottt
05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I said that his performance in the playoffs has almost always been worse than his performance in regular seasons. That's all I said. And it's true. It's not difficult to watch some tape and look at numbers.

He's played in exactly 3 playoff series prior to this year with the Spurs...

And you said he was choker because his regular season numbers were better than his playoff totals...

#1. It was false claim, his 3 point shooting PCT is much higher in the playoffs.

Using the justification you used....Kerr is a choker too because his playoff totals are lower in every category.

It was a weak fucking ass argument..especially since the teams he lost too were the Jazz and us...

He made it to an elimination game against the Jazz..we never have...he made it to one against us...no other team but the Lakers has done that.

And he had Bowen on him when he played us...and Bowen kicked his ass in that series..he gave him as physical of beating as I have ever seen a guard give another player. He put a gash in his forhead, he elbowed him in the throat at which point the teams nearly got into a fight...and yet his best game was the elimimation game.

He's underperformed virtually every year in the playoffs. Fact.

He's made the playoffs 3 times, in his career...got take a look at what Kerr did in the playoffs with Cleveland...and he's only underperformed in the stats you elect to pay attention to...Kerr OTOH has underperformed in every category except FT shooting...

You got a double standard. Why don't you look at what Kerr did before he played with fucking Michael Jordan. And then take a look at what he did with us...

You weak argument would lead you to conclude that Kerr was choker too...unless you change your standard, which you do...

You blamed it on him playing for crappy teams. But he's been pretty horrible in the playoffs this time around until today. Then you blamed it on Pop. If Barry disappears again, I'm curious to see if you'll return to the Pop excuse or if you'll make something else up.

Guess what? The Clippers were a crappy team...and the best player on the Sonics when he was there was an aged Gary Payton. And his 3 PT PCT was better in the playoffs than it was in the regular season...you ignore the stats you don't want to use and you focus on the ones you do.

I'm glad he played well. I think he's a good player, but I still stand by the fact that his performance declines in the playoffs.

In one season it didn't, it was substantially better...and his shooting 3 shooting PCT is better...as it stands right now, the guy has never shot under 40% from 3 in the playoffs, including when being guarded by Bruce Bowen...how the hell can you call that choking?

Are there exceptions? Sure, but there are very few. Poor playoff showings have been the trend with Brent. I showed you stats. All you did is try to justify it by saying that Barry played on sucky teams and that Pop sucks.

He did play for shitty teams...exactly how far did you expect the Clippers to go in the playoffs? Them just making the PO was a historical accomplishment for the Clippers...Elton Brande hasn't been able to do it.

I never said it. I said that Kerr was a proven playoff performer. I didn't say that he never struggled. When he played for the Spurs, he was most certainly a proven playoff performer.

Not using your criteria he wasn't...using your criteria he was about the worst choker of all time...but then again...you change your standard.

I never alluded to anything. All I said was that he was a proven performer. You're just making up all of the other stuff. Kerr had incredibly clutch moments in the playoffs for the Spurs. Brent hadn't done that until today.

Fact.

The fact is that Kerr didn't do shit for us until his last season here, so no..he didn't do anything. He was proven with Michael Jordan(get in line) and with no one else. And if you can't see the difference between teams like the Bulls and the Clippers...screw it...never mind.

Pop didn't let him do anything until that season...and he didn't let him do it enough that season...

What players are you talking about? I stated that Brent's numbers suck in the playoffs and you try to turn it into this. I'd like to know what different rules I have for different Spurs players. Please explain.

Barry's numbers are worse in the playoffs. Fact. You lose.

You hold Barry and Kerr to a different standard...and you seem to think Barry should have gotten the fucking Clippers to the NBA title..

You have you huge gaps in your logic and I don't give a damn how eloquent you are when you say it...your argument is still weak.

You said Barry was a choker because his regular season totals are lower than the his post season...

Kerr's are lower in every category but one...and you don't hold him to the same standard...you seem to think that playing with Micheal Jordan is a skill Barry should have...it's not a skill.

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 09:43 PM
All I have to say is ...

If the Spurs win the Championship, then Brent Barry better thank Whottt at the River Parade.

T Park
05-22-2005, 09:47 PM
then Brent Barry better thank Whottt at the River Parade

he prob has his "ways" of thanking him im sure.

timvp
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
If only Whottt had posted after game five. He said he ran out of stuff to say about Barry.

I guess not.

jalbre6
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Hmmm, whottt's title...

Hocus-Chokeus....

Ms. Congenality...

nostradumbass...

Whatdya think?

whottt
05-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Change it to whatever you want...but just get rid of the fucking Juwan Howard title...

timvp
05-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Change it to whatever you want...but just get rid of the fucking Juwan Howard title...

You told me to wait until after the playoffs.

P.S.

I looks like you are finally owning up to a bet.

Interesting.

SPARKY
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, when is IceColdBlewski going to pay up?

whottt
05-22-2005, 09:58 PM
If only Whottt had posted after game five. He said he ran out of stuff to say about Barry.

I guess not.

I showed up after 2 scoreless games in the regular season....I showed up after the scoreless game against Denver...

In your thread it was the same standard BS of no stats and labling the guy gutless and heartless...It's not that I didn't have anything new to say...it's that you didn't...

Meanwhile had I posted...what's to keep me from playing both sides of it like you do even if I did feel wrong...

Athenea
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM

Was it on in Argentina?
HAHAHHAHA Another cheap shot against an undermanned Argentinean?? :lol The game was on in ESPN international :spin

ps: to save u the typing, they r showing the entire series here
ps2: I've watched 80% of the Spurs' games so far...

whottt
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
You told me to wait until after the playoffs.

P.S.

I looks like you are finally owning up to a bet.

Interesting.

I owned up to Chump...although it wasn't a title bet...if I owned up to that fucker I will own up to anyone, if they win it...

I always own up...and unlike you...I even own up when you are right...

I tole you to change the title after the AJ bet if you truly felt you won. All I wanted was confirmed proof the Spurs offered AJ a contract, you are the insider...if you knew they offered it all you had to do was change it..you over look that at least one time you tried to claim credit for winning the bet and it was later proved to be a false report, so why I am gonna jump up to lose without proof they offered him a contract..him meeting with Pop is no way proves a contract was offered ...it wasn't for a sig and avatar though...it was for a title.

timvp
05-22-2005, 10:05 PM
I showed up after 2 scoreless games in the regular season....I showed up after the scoreless game against Denver...

In your thread it was the same standard BS of no stats and labling the guy gutless and heartless...It's not that I didn't have anything new to say...it's that you didn't...

Meanwhile had I posted...what's to keep me from playing both sides of it like you do even if I did feel wrong...

The ironic thing is I believe in Barry more than you do. You deflect everything off of him and blame it on Pop, Manu, Tim, Tony and everyone else who doesn't go to games in a coyote suit.

I call him a coward when he plays like a coward. I call him scared when he's afraid to shoot the ball. He knows he has been letting the mental part of the game get to him. He knows that he's his own worst enemy this season and has struggled pretty much all year.

I had a good feeling coming into this series that it was his time to shine. They are facing a team that is daring the Spurs to hit outside jumpers. Barry is one of the best pure shooters in the league, so he's going to hit open shots after awhile. Add to that the fact that Bowen hasn't played well against the Suns this year (which would give Barry even more minutes) ... and it was a no-brainer to call Barry breaking out.

You on the other hand sit here and deflect everything and pretend that Barry is God's gift to basketball and that Pop is just using him wrong and nobody is passing it to him. The truth is he's sucked, he admits it. Now it's your turn.

smeagol
05-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, when is IceColdBlewski going to pay up?
You lost the bet. I proved it a million times with the Kidd vs Parker example. Even Kori said brewski was right.

Look at who was backing your position: tpark :lmao

whottt
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I've never tried to claim Barry wasn't having an off season, but only by his standards...certainly not by what some of the Spurs immortals did in their first season here...

We differ on why...I see a clear trend of shooters struggling here their first season...I see trend of Pop's coddle projects choking...whereas his bitches seem to end up saving his butt...

Come to think of it...the only two guys that truly put up good regular season numbers their first season here were Smitty and Hedo...maybe it's a bad thing if guys put up good numbers their first season here...seeing as how those two are the only ones that remotely deserve the choker tag(and I am not sure Smitty deserves it for growing old). Smitty sucked...but I am not sure the Choker tag suits him...

I defend Barry from the choking tag and say he's not playing as badly as his critics say...we are still a better team with him getting minutes and being a big part of the offense.

Barry has been good in the 4th quarter all season long...including more than one game of these playoffs...Barry is the same type player Horry is...he just doesn't know it yet. Once he does(and once the Spurs do) I probably won't get as pissed at Pop...but I do blame Pop for it. And I have been giving Pop credit for the offensive changes since game 4 VS Seattle.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 03:25 AM
HAHAHHAHA Another cheap shot against an undermanned Argentinean??Maybe you should try that in Chinese -- and don't be so stupidly defensive when asked simple questions?
The game was on in ESPN internationalGood, then tell me how many spot up threes he made after standing like a tree.

Gerryatrics
05-23-2005, 04:46 AM

Well then, I guess that means I get to gloat. I was right, y'all (except for whottt) were wrong. Though I have to admit that timvp did take the brave stance of "Sometimes he sucks, sometimes he's OK, whichever it is at the moment is what I predicted". You guys said that Barry was a choker, you said that he should be banished to the bench and never see any floor time during the playoffs, you guys said that he wouldn't hit any clutch shots or score any meaningfull points in anything but blowouts, you guys said he doesn't have what it takes to man up in the playoffs because he never won an NCAA Championship (never quite figure that one out), you guys said he's a defensive and offensive liability, you guys said that he was the worst player in NBA history. You were wrong.

Now, before you say "It's only one game", let me remind you that the Barry haters were spewing the above mentioned crap after, and based almost entirely, on Game 5 vs. Sonics. Barry did a good job in the Denver series, with the Spurs winning four in a row with Barry as a starter. In Game 1 vs. Sonics he all but shut down Lewis, while everyone had been saying it was a mismatch that Seattle would exploit all series long. Game 2 vs. Sonics he contained Lewis pretty well again, and also did an admirable job of containing Allen in the second half. Game 3 and Game 4 weren't that spectacular, and he totally tanked in Game 5. But he came back and hit a clutch three in Game 6, and he came out and hammered the Suns in Game 1. Three threes in the 4th quarter, back-to-back threes late in the 4th when the Spurs were down, 5-5 overall in the 4th. That's clutch, that's huge. I've said Barry would come through, you said he was a coward and couldn't perform under pressure. Well, Barry went and won Game 1, so I guess I was right afterall.

In conclusion: Nahny nahny boo boo, suck on that. Thank you.

Useruser666
05-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Hmmm, whottt's title...

Hocus-Chokeus....

Ms. Congenality...

nostradumbass...

Whatdya think?

How about Whereddd? Like as in, "Where did he go?"

Or how about, "Shoottt!" As in shoot Barry, shoot!

Seriously, good job Brent. That hs to be your best game this season. He even made up for that wide open layup he passed on early in the game. I hope he can continue to hit those shots if the Suns give hime those looks.

johnny00
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
He even made up for that wide open layup he passed on early in the game.No lie!
Even Hubie was amazed he passed up that shot.

Solid D
05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
What was Brent's Touch/Points ratio?

bigzak25
05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
w/o devin in his rear view, Brent is cash money.

he's still mentally weak if he can't take that ONE layup to the rim hard instead of passing it out. but user is right, he made up for it with his 3's and zero turnovers. props Brent, i knew u could doo eet!!! now keep it up beoyottch...we need you.

boutons
05-23-2005, 11:52 AM
"his 3's and zero turnovers"

don't forget the 3 STLs, great defensive effort.

timvp
05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Well then, I guess that means I get to gloat. I was right, y'all (except for whottt) were wrong. Though I have to admit that timvp did take the brave stance of "Sometimes he sucks, sometimes he's OK, whichever it is at the moment is what I predicted". You guys said that Barry was a choker, you said that he should be banished to the bench and never see any floor time during the playoffs, you guys said that he wouldn't hit any clutch shots or score any meaningfull points in anything but blowouts, you guys said he doesn't have what it takes to man up in the playoffs because he never won an NCAA Championship (never quite figure that one out), you guys said he's a defensive and offensive liability, you guys said that he was the worst player in NBA history. You were wrong.

Nice. Stretching it, but nice.

You deserve to talk ish now because you had enough character to come in here after game five and defend Barry. You stuck by him.

If Whottt only had 1/10th of your courage, he'd be a much better poster for it.

Now, before you say "It's only one game", let me remind you that the Barry haters were spewing the above mentioned crap after, and based almost entirely, on Game 5 vs. Sonics. Barry did a good job in the Denver series, with the Spurs winning four in a row with Barry as a starter. In Game 1 vs. Sonics he all but shut down Lewis, while everyone had been saying it was a mismatch that Seattle would exploit all series long. Game 2 vs. Sonics he contained Lewis pretty well again, and also did an admirable job of containing Allen in the second half. Game 3 and Game 4 weren't that spectacular, and he totally tanked in Game 5. But he came back and hit a clutch three in Game 6, and he came out and hammered the Suns in Game 1. Three threes in the 4th quarter, back-to-back threes late in the 4th when the Spurs were down, 5-5 overall in the 4th. That's clutch, that's huge. I've said Barry would come through, you said he was a coward and couldn't perform under pressure. Well, Barry went and won Game 1, so I guess I was right afterall.

In conclusion: Nahny nahny boo boo, suck on that. Thank you.

You're welcome.

T Park
05-23-2005, 03:03 PM
lol.

good thing TIMVP is cooler than I am, I wouldn't have taken the BS as hard as him.

IceColdBrewski
05-23-2005, 10:30 PM
You lost the bet. I proved it a million times with the Kidd vs Parker example. Even Kori said brewski was right.

Look at who was backing your position: tpark :lmao

I thought he would be too embarassed to ever bring up "the bet" again. But alas, stupid people are always full of surprises aren't they.

You have to admire his bullshitting skills though. I'm gonna try his strategy the next time I lose a bet. Just show up at the guys door and say "you lost, pay up!" and see what happens. Maybe he'll take pity on me the way I did with poor Sparky.