PDA

View Full Version : Home protection guns

pawe
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
So we got a letter about burglaries happening 3 straight days to 5 residences. Now me being a paranoid nut decided I'm going to get a home protection gun.
A friend recommended a 12 gauge short barrel shotgun and a handgun combo. I currently live by myself but in a few months, my gf will be moving in with me so I want to be sure she can comfortably shoot with them. Anyone here have these guns? Suggestions?

Mossberg 500 12g pump action shotgun with the same setup like in this pic
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa96/litenlarry/DSC00093.jpg

or/and a CZ 75
http://i55.tinypic.com/2quisgp.jpg

BlairForceDejuan
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Train for misfeeds/malfunctions and know what is behind the wall you are shooting.

pawe
12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
That's the other thing I'm thinking of, I have to consider the stopping power of these guns so I can hit the bad guys and not the good guys on the other room.

Phillip
12-20-2010, 01:50 PM
learn kung fu

Chomag
12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I have a glock 30 .45 cal that has worked like a charm at the shooting range. I havn't tried any of those guns you are talking about though so I'm not sure on those.

bus driver
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
i believe it doesnt made what kind of gun you have or dont have....just learn how to shoot it.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Whats your budget? Your girlfriend will be better with an auto-loader than a pump. If money is no object get a Benelli M4. If you are in an apartment load it with #4 bird shot. You will still fuck em up real bad at close range but it won't kill through walls. Forget about a pistol unless you are prepared to put in the practice time to be 100% automatic/proficient when you are half asleep.

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I personally think the shotgun is impractical...

you will have to decide where to store it...it is not like you can leave it in the nightstand next to the bed...and if it is in some closet...you would have to go to the closet in an emergency...but what if you aren't able to?

The shotgun will also intimidate your girl...so she probably won't be too confident in handling it...

A 9mm glock is light, powerful and easy to conceal,easy to shoot after a few sessions at the shooting range....

but I would hope you reconsider because what most people don't know is that having a gun in a residence only adds danger to any situation...

besides..if the burglars are taking stuff....so what...just insure your stuff and learn to file claims to get reimbursed...

baseline bum
12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
This one will protect you if you're ever robbed by a bear.

9hUCRppRoU8

4>0rings
12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Shotgun w/ shorter barrel so you can move it around the apartment. If it was a house I'd use buckshot but CC has it right with birdshot in an apartment. If you put the pistol grip on it, I don't think your gf would have a problem with it. Pick up the pistol also so you and your girl can go to the shooting range and pick up a hobby together, it's fun.

I don't care for the Mossberg 500 though, it's rickity as hell but it fires in the direction you point it so it's fine and it doesn't cost much.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Whatever kind of gun you get if you ever have to use it keep shooting till they quit twitching or you run out of bullets.

Soul_Patch
12-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I totaly reccomend one of these.

In fact, get a second just in case shit really pops off.

Set up a view screen and joystick in your bedroom, of course some motion detection and laser trip wires around your perimeter and you are good to go!

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658

baseline bum
12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Whatever kind of gun you get if you ever have to use it keep shooting till they quit twitching or you run out of bullets.

Or just load hollow-tips and save the rest of the shots for any friends that might have been brought along (assuming you're in Texas; I don't know how legal that ammo is in other places).

4>0rings
12-20-2010, 02:44 PM

you will have to decide where to store it...it is not like you can leave it in the nightstand next to the bed...and if it is in some closet...you would have to go to the closet in an emergency...but what if you aren't able to?

The shotgun will also intimidate your girl...so she probably won't be too confident in handling it...

A 9mm glock is light, powerful and easy to conceal,easy to shoot after a few sessions at the shooting range....

but I would hope you reconsider because what most people don't know is that having a gun in a residence only adds danger to any situation...

besides..if the burglars are taking stuff....so what...just insure your stuff and learn to file claims to get reimbursed...

Shotgun is under my bed in it's case, unzipped. Just reach and grab. If someone with a child is coming over, then I lock it up.

If she's intimidated by shooting a 12g she would be shooting a semi auto probably. If you chose a first handgun with a girl in a mind a revolver is a better solution. No jams, no cocking(most). Just point and shoot and I doubt more than 6 shots would be needed for any home confrontations.

So what if they rob you? :lmao

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Shotgun is under my bed in it's case, unzipped. Just reach and grab. If someone with a child is coming over, then I lock it up.

If she's intimidated by shooting a 12g she would be shooting a semi auto probably. If you chose a first handgun with a girl in a mind a revolver is a better solution. No jams, no cocking(most). Just point and shoot and I doubt more than 6 shots would be needed for any home confrontations.

So what if they rob you? :lmao

Of course it sux to get robbed...but If you have to choose between ending someone's life and replacing a TV...

after all the tough talk...it really is a burden to you and your family for a long, long time in many ways...

that is reality...not shooting people dead like in the movies...

boutons_deux
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Yep, people never talk about the PSTD they suffer after killing an intruder, instead of killing pixels.

Chances are better that a family member or friend will be killed accidentally and/or drunkenly and/or crime-of-passion, than an intruder being killed.

Most intruders work very hard to time their intrusion when nobody's home. They don't want to encounter anybody, armed or not.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Of course it sux to get robbed...but If you have to choose between ending someone's life and replacing a TV...

after all the tough talk...it really is a burden to you and your family for a long, long time in many ways...

that is reality...not shooting people dead like in the movies...

As far as I'm concerned when he makes the conscious decision to break into my house he is making a conscious decision to risk death. I would shoot his ass without the slightest twinge of guilt.

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 03:17 PM
As far as I'm concerned when he makes the conscious decision to break into my house he is making a conscious decision to risk death. I would shoot his ass without the slightest twinge of guilt.

I understand your point of view and for the most part I agree...

except...that when shit goes down...it is NEVER like you thought it would be...

shit can get messy and can go very much in the opposite way than what you thought it would...

then, you can also shoot a burglar...it turns out he may not die...he will turn around and sue you...

you can shoot an intruder...he may die...then his brother or cousin or someone else will come after you for revenge...on & on & on...

so much shit can go wrong...they could be on the way out and you decide to shoot...then he shoots back and kills your kid, your wife,son,etc...

you will live with the fact that you coulda let him go and instead...now your family is dead,etc....all to save a tv or a stereo...

hater
12-20-2010, 03:20 PM
IMO the probability that the robbers will catch you sleeping and use your own gun on you is higher than the probability of you successfully using the gun on the robbers

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 03:21 PM

i keep my 12g leaning right up next to my night stand with a box of birdshot on the floor. i have a garage full of expensive toys and luckily im a night owl. if i find somebody in my garage my only worry will be to avoid hitting my oxygen and acetylene bottles. besides that its just a matter of reloading but i may or may not have removed the plug allowing me to put 6 shells in. but like some people are saying, whatever you get you have to learn to shoot it. its like anything else, you are at a disadvantage when compared to people like me who have been shooting their whole life, but it can be learned. good luck.

lebomb
12-20-2010, 03:38 PM

shit can get messy and can go very much in the opposite way than what you thought it would...

then, you can also shoot a burglar...it turns out he may not die...he will turn around and sue you...

you can shoot an intruder...he may die...then his brother or cousin or someone else will come after you for revenge...on & on & on...

so much shit can go wrong...they could be on the way out and you decide to shoot...then he shoots back and kills your kid, your wife,son,etc...

you will live with the fact that you coulda let him go and instead...now your family is dead,etc....all to save a tv or a stereo...

What? this is coming from a former officer??? C'mon man........how many people get robbed and then SHOT dead after by the criminal not wanting witnesses. Im straight up bustin a cap in anyones ass that breaks into my house. I have kids and a wife man. Sorry, thats just the way it is. Oh, and by the way, Im a decent shot. I cant hit the bulleye on a regular at the gun range from 25yds. At 50yds I keep it in the torso about 60-70% of the time. :hat

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 03:56 PM
What? this is coming from a former officer??? C'mon man........how many people get robbed and then SHOT dead after by the criminal not wanting witnesses. Im straight up bustin a cap in anyones ass that breaks into my house. I have kids and a wife man. Sorry, thats just the way it is. Oh, and by the way, Im a decent shot. I cant hit the bulleye on a regular at the gun range from 25yds. At 50yds I keep it in the torso about 60-70% of the time. :hat

I'm with you-but you know, most people have no experience and/or training with weapons and/or high stress situations-and they or their family will unfortunately end up getting hurt.

I am armed at home and I have trained the wife and taken her to the range. She is a real good shot now, but in the beginning-she was afraid to even touch the weapon-let alone fire it. I have done all I can to NEVER have to put my family in that situation...but shit can happen...

I hope if someone DOES arm themselves...that they take the time to thoroughly train themselves and their loved ones.

The ONLY time...ANYONE should EVER handle a weapon...is to kill someone...

not to play with it...not to show off...not to scare someone....

ONLY when you HAVE to kill someone.

lebomb
12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm with you-but you know, most people have no experience and/or training with weapons and/or high stress situations-and they or their family will unfortunately end up getting hurt.

I am armed at home and I have trained the wife and taken her to the range. She is a real good shot now, but in the beginning-she was afraid to even touch the weapon-let alone fire it. I have done all I can to NEVER have to put my family in that situation...but shit can happen...

I hope if someone DOES arm themselves...that they take the time to thoroughly train themselves and their loved ones.

................... :toast

I agree 100%. I havent taken my wife yet, but I will. My Ex knew how to shoot pretty well...........she learned at the shooting range with me.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 04:20 PM

ummm... while i understand your point im gonna assume you meant other than target shooting, hunting,cleaning the weapon or putting an injured animal out of its misery, ; yeah besides that you should be all business.

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
ummm... while i understand your point im gonna assume you meant other than target shooting, hunting,cleaning the weapon or putting an injured animal out of its misery, ; yeah besides that you should be all business.

Yeah, of course if you are hunting, target practicing,etc...

but usually those places have rules of safety and usually the people partaking in these activities are pretty safety conscious-and respectful of weapons in general...

I meant it more for people who think it might be cool to show their buddies or flash it around to intimidate or horseplay,etc... that is just asking for trouble.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

You need to quit watching Boyz in the Hood.

silverblk mystix
12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
You need to quit watching Boyz in the Hood.

That was actually a pretty good movie.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, of course if you are hunting, target practicing,etc...

but usually those places have rules of safety and usually the people partaking in these activities are pretty safety conscious-and respectful of weapons in general...

I meant it more for people who think it might be cool to show their buddies or flash it around to intimidate or horseplay,etc... that is just asking for trouble.

right on thats what i figured. and i concur

pawe
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
Money is not an issue so the Benelli is a good idea 'cause you might forget to cock back a pump action when your adrenalin is pumping. And the birdshot was also suggested by the gun shop this for drywalls since it has smaller pellets. :tu

It might sound overkill but I want a handgun combo with the shotgun since I want to be armed in less than 5 secs so I will buy a biometric vault and stash the handgun in there and place it by the nightstand and the shotgun will be in a locked case in the closet away from my son.

I'll definitely spend a lot of time in firing classes to learn the right stance, misfirings, jam situations and getting rid of the twitching from the recoil. I also want to know how disorienting the sound of a gun fire indoors specially from a shotgun..they said the sound causes temporary blindness.

Our bedroom area will be our panic area so when they get tempted to come close then Id rather suffer the PTSD or the lawsuit battle from the shooting than risking druggies doing further damage like harming my family.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
just go shoot as much as you can and take your family with you as much as possible. the recoil and sound will be something to get used to but over time it will be a complete non issue/ last of your worries

BlairForceDejuan
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Just remember

1) I feared for my life

2) Lawyer

:downspin:

Cuppycake Gumdrop
12-21-2010, 01:09 AM
rAiJLdQQZz4

easjer
12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Sounds like you are trying to cover bases, but I will reiterate the importance of being trained for all aspects of gun safety - everyone who might have access to the weapons. I do wonder if one would have time, in reality, to retrieve and load a gun if it's locked away from kids. . . but you have to make those safety determinations for yourself.

pawe
12-21-2010, 03:07 AM
Sounds like you are trying to cover bases, but I will reiterate the importance of being trained for all aspects of gun safety - everyone who might have access to the weapons. I do wonder if one would have time, in reality, to retrieve and load a gun if it's locked away from kids. . . but you have to make those safety determinations for yourself.

Cabelas demoed a biometric vault and you can be armed in under 5 secs. No reaching for keys in the drawers or punching codes in the dark. The shotgun will be locked in the closet though.
I try to consider every little thing from safety to engaging a shooter before I buy the guns since it is a real pain in the neck to own one and to secure it.

Tomorrow is insurance agent day. I want to be sure if insurance will cover when a druggie or dead druggie family sues. And also ask a few questions about neighbor lawsuits for damaged or injured occupants for stray bullets.

LOL by the time I get done with the state law research, classes and paperworks the hot period for burglaries would have already passed.

symple19
12-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Here is what I recommend: http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/images/uploads/Browning%2050%20cal/50cal.jpg

Texas_Ranger
12-21-2010, 09:01 AM
First get an alarm so you can hear when someone breaks in.

CommanderMcBragg
12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a S&W .38 revolver within reach when I lay down.

DarkReign
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I have a S&W .38 revolver within reach when I lay down.

My S&W 9mm the same, but that is soon to change with a little one on the way.

4>0rings
12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
This is my dream home defense weapon.

PPSH-41
http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/ppsh3.jpg

1VQpJj1TF7M

Big P
12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Good start...What good is the gun going to do if you can't see anything? Whichever one you choose, make sure it has a light on it...I would put one on each of them.

BlairForceDejuan
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
^word

You can get small LED flashlights w/ 200 lumens :lol It really is as awesome as it sounds.

pawe
12-22-2010, 01:30 AM
^^ The CZ 75 p01 semi auto has a built in night aim.

I went to a gun club this afternoon and tried the handguns. The CZ was the perfect size for me, my grouping was 3-4 inches apart from each other and the recoil is not bad. Problem with a semi auto is if you want a loaded gun on standby, you have to cycle magazines so the springs wont settle. And also its more prone to jamming and double feed so you have to really learn to manage your gun.
Then, the guy assisting me showed me a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 magnum revolver. Tried it and whoa! I got rattled the first time shooting that thing. he said it can fire .38 specials to make the recoil a little more manageable.

Revolvers are also the most reliable, ready to shoot HD guns since they require little maintenance. But the sound...the bang was crazy loud, I wanted to remove my ear protection to experience how it feels shooting it indoors but I was too chicken shit to do it..i'll probably try it next time.

If not for the GF, I would've bought the revolver already.

edit: not really the most accurate gun. my grouping, shooting the .357 was as big as a cantaloupe from 10 yards. I still would've gotten it though.

pawe
12-22-2010, 02:10 AM
No im not gonna get a rifle or even the shotgun anymore. Revolver is the number 1 choice right now.

4>0rings
12-22-2010, 03:48 AM
No im not gonna get a rifle or even the shotgun anymore. Revolver is the number 1 choice right now.

If you chose a first handgun with a girl in a mind a revolver is a better solution. No jams, no cocking(most). Just point and shoot and I doubt more than 6 shots would be needed for any home confrontations.