PDA

View Full Version : Enough Conspiracy Theory Talk

dbreiden83080
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Look i love the Spurs more than anything, but enough with this the games are fixed talk. I am not saying that refs do not favor certain star players with reputations because they do, but this idea that the league influences who wins and loses based on potential storylines and ratings is insane. Think about it with the way the media is today don't you think that some ex-official retired or otherwise would have come out by now with some kind of tell all book or something saying how the league is influencing the results of the games. Get real guys this is not happening at all. All it would take is one official to come out and the NBA as we know it would blow sky high and never be the same again, this was a tough loss and there were some questionable calls but they will bounce back, the games are not fixed we are fine, we'll win relax.

easjer
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Games fixed? Probably not.

Do I believe, though, that the NBA hopes for certain outcomes because certain outcomes might produce more interest and more advertising and more merchandise sells? Of course. They are a business, after all.

Do I believe that those . . . preferences . . . influence the outcome of games? I don't know. It is entirely within the realm of reason and possibility that suggestions might be made which could color (subconciously) the way a game is called, as an example.

I do know that there are some really fucked up calls and some really blown calls, and that will happen because refs are human.

I do know that there are some outrageous games and series where everyone is left shaking their head - ie, Houston/Dallas (specifically games three, four, and five), Spurs/Nuggets (particularly games 3 and 4) and perhaps the Sacramento/Lakers series of a couple years back. You cannot tell me that those were simply a few bad calls. They were consistently bad calls that in some cases were horrifically and statiscally slanted in favor of one team.

The main problem is that the refs and NBA provide fodder for these speculations. There seems to be little done about bad games and blown calls. The refs who make them seem still to be around. And scandals like Van Gundy's only make it worse (impugning the NBA, whatever. That outrageous fine confirmed several of my cool headed friends that the whole thing was true). I need only think back to Amare's magically delicious and mystical changing foul count in game 3(that even Bill Walton commented on, for pete's sake) to remember the last time I wondered about this.

Do I believe that folks in ominously dark back rooms and basements are plotting things out? Of course not.

Does that mean that refs cannot influence things? Nope. Clearly they have in the past. The good teams play so that it doesn't matter what the refs are doing.

dbreiden83080
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
I hear what you are saying you make some good points, I get as mad at the refs at times as anyone i hated some of those calls last night and was screaming at the TV. I'm just saying while the nba does root for certain outcomes they are not telling any of the refs to officiate that way, i just don't see anyway they could keep evryone quiet about it and never have anything come out in the press.

King
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
What I want somebody to explain is, how in the world was the game fixed last night? The Spurs were given every opportunity to win that game at the FT line, and they didn't take advantage of it. If it was a fix to extend the series, how did they know the Spurs would botch more than half of the attempts?

Unless you're insinuating some Black Sox type scandal involving the players, in which case the theory took a more asinine turn.

Just please explain how they managed to fix the game, have the Spurs suck from the line (and floor, for that matter) and have the Suns knock down over 50%. Just please explain it.

Jimcs50
05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
It was not fixed, but the refs totally sucked and total incompetence on the part of the officials lends itself to such histrionics.

SpursFanDan
05-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Like someone said already, the refs werent watching the play away from the ball... it was almost like their were only two refs on the floor. Alot of holding went on... and it wasnt us. I'm talking all throught he game... not just a couple of plays.

AZLouis
05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
This isn't the WWE.

It wouldn't make sense. If the games were fixed and the officiating was conducted bogusly, fans regardless of allegiance to teams would not accept it.

Officiating is the easiest thing to blame when the team you root for loses.

For example, uncharacteristically the Suns have been called for more fouls than the Spurs, for a total of 82 and the Spurs have been called for 73. The Suns have also been called for more technicals fouls than the Spurs, 3 techs to 1.

Fouls per game
game 1 - Suns 22, Spurs 23
game 2 - Suns 20, Spurs 16
game 3 - Suns 19, Spurs 16
game 4 - Suns 21, Spurs 18

Free throw attempts per game
game 1 - suns 29, Spurs 31
game 2 - Suns 17, Spurs 21
game 3 - Suns 15, Spurs 30
game 4 - Suns 16, Spurs 23

E20
05-31-2005, 01:21 PM
NVM

AZLouis
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
It's not a complaint E20. Read again. I am merely stating that there is no conspiracy.

Throughout the 3 losses the Suns suffered, all I heard was there is no excuse. Not injury not officiating. Spurs fans should suck it up. The Spurs are up 3-1. There is no conspiracy in this series.

The officiating has been equally good/bad for both teams. The players and the teams are the deciding factor in this series. And thus far the Spurs have bettered the Suns thrice.

E20
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
My bad AZ. I'm so high right now off my brothers fart fumes in his room.

WalterBenitez
05-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Games fixed? Probably not.

Do I believe, though, that the NBA hopes for certain outcomes because certain outcomes might produce more interest and more advertising and more merchandise sells? Of course. They are a business, after all.

Do I believe that those . . . preferences . . . influence the outcome of games? I don't know. It is entirely within the realm of reason and possibility that suggestions might be made which could color (subconciously) the way a game is called, as an example.

I do know that there are some really fucked up calls and some really blown calls, and that will happen because refs are human.

I do know that there are some outrageous games and series where everyone is left shaking their head - ie, Houston/Dallas (specifically games three, four, and five), Spurs/Nuggets (particularly games 3 and 4) and perhaps the Sacramento/Lakers series of a couple years back. You cannot tell me that those were simply a few bad calls. They were consistently bad calls that in some cases were horrifically and statiscally slanted in favor of one team.

The main problem is that the refs and NBA provide fodder for these speculations. There seems to be little done about bad games and blown calls. The refs who make them seem still to be around. And scandals like Van Gundy's only make it worse (impugning the NBA, whatever. That outrageous fine confirmed several of my cool headed friends that the whole thing was true). I need only think back to Amare's magically delicious and mystical changing foul count in game 3(that even Bill Walton commented on, for pete's sake) to remember the last time I wondered about this.

Do I believe that folks in ominously dark back rooms and basements are plotting things out? Of course not.

Does that mean that refs cannot influence things? Nope. Clearly they have in the past. The good teams play so that it doesn't matter what the refs are doing.

ditto

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 03:18 PM
The only conspiracy theory worth talking about is Stern planning Miami to win it all with Wade getting MVP treatment from the refs along with Shaq.