PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson..

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
In the Parker injury thread, I said that Duncan and Jefferson would have to elevate their games more than any other players on the roster, if the Spurs wanted to maintain a solid record..

What are realistic expectations of Jefferson during this stretch without Parker?..

He has only taken 3 shots so far..is RJ at fault for not being aggressive enough, or should Pop be looking towards him a lot more often?..

chazley
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Pop doesn't call stuff for him. It's not his fault.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
In the Parker injury thread, I said that Duncan and Jefferson would have to elevate their games more than any other players on the roster, if the Spurs wanted to maintain a solid record..

What are realistic expectations of Jefferson during this stretch without Parker?..

He has only taken 3 shots so far..is RJ at fault for not being aggressive enough, or should Pop be looking towards him a lot more often?..

He's been driving.....getting mauled/pushed usually and then being forced to pass out.

Spurs Brazil
03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
RJ can't create for himself, he can't take guys one on one. With TP out he'll suffer.

weebo
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Again, much like last year, Jefferson seems content just being in the game while not doing much of anything. He's a ghost out there.

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM

Whoever was stubbornly calling for PnR with Hill 80% of the time is at fault..tbh

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
You cannot expect Manu to shoulder the whole load here. Calling plays for Hill was the right thing to do because whatever funk he is in he needs to get out of. Running Manu to death will only further our chances at winning in the playoffs. We have to be very careful on how we handle Manu right now.

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Jefferson is not to blame here. Hard to really affect the game offensively when the ball can never make it to you, and when it does, it was tipped by a defender. That makes it pretty difficult to get anything done.

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I would like to see RJ shoot more. He can't really create for himself off the dribble and has problems getting around his defender but he hit some nice jump shots in the game tonight and would like to see him at least take those more often.

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
RJ just sucks.......PERIOD...!

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
You cannot expect Manu to shoulder the whole load here. Calling plays for Hill was the right thing to do because whatever funk he is in he needs to get out of. Running Manu to death will only further our chances at winning in the playoffs. We have to be very careful on how we handle Manu right now.

I was actually hoping for a lot more 4 down tonight once Gasol was ejected. It probably would have cut down the turnovers and relaxed the pressure on the perimeter.

If possible force the switch so it is Arthur defending Duncan. That could have opened up penetration because their shot blocker has to stay at home.

DesignatedT
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I was actually hoping for a lot more 4 down tonight once Gasol was ejected. It probably would have cut down the turnovers and relaxed the pressure on the perimeter.

I agree. I think Tim should get the ball more and work the offense around him more until Tony comes back.

weebo
03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Jefferson is not to blame here. Hard to really affect the game offensively when the ball can never make it to you, and when it does, it was tipped by a defender. That makes it pretty difficult to get anything done.

That's just making excuses for someone who has the propensity of disappearing in games. Jefferson has too many of these type of games where he does absolutely nothing on offense or defense. For fuck's sake, even Mike Fin gave more effort in his second year here.

EricB
03-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Good lord, if thats the best thought you can muster stay out of the thread.

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2011, 11:09 PM

No one has said run Manu into the ground.

You can run several different sets that aren't correlated with an initial PnR from Manu or Hill.

You can give the ball to Tim on the block (4down).

You can run isolation plays for R.J on the elbow/13 feet out, especially with Bonner on the floor with Tim or Dyess (Bonner would spread the floor at the 3 point line and Tim would float around the opposite elbow; which would consequently free up the paint for R.J in these isolation scenarios where he can have the option to shoot or easily get to the line or basket.

You can exploit the pinch post option with Blair/Duncan and the wings cutting off of it.

Those are just a few.

But Pop just stubbornly ran the PnR to death tonight with Hill. Why? I don't know.

xellos88330
03-01-2011, 11:12 PM
That's just making excuses for someone who has the propensity of disappearing in games. Jefferson has too many of these type of games where he does absolutely nothing on offense or defense. For fuck's sake, even Mike Fin gave more effort in his second year here.

Were you watching the same game as I was? The guards were having a difficult time getting the ball to RJ. I am not making excuses for him, but it is hard to do anything when you cannot get the ball in any sort of rythym because it is tipped, low pass, or the ball is stolen before it even gets to you.

If you have played basketball before, you understand that recieving the ball in the right spot opens up your options. Defenders often pressure once they see the pass is low, or it gives them the time they need to close out. They already know that if you pull up it won't be in rythym, and that your best option is to drive, or pass. It is hard to do anything offensively if you have a defender who knows what they are doing.

Mugen
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
RJ did pass up about 2-3 shots that were open and cut off a couple of his drives short.

He also needs to realize that he needs to be a little more assertive as well when we're short handed.

SouthTexasRancher
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Good lord, if thats the best thought you can muster stay out of the thread.

Grow the hell up dudette if you don't understand simple TiC.

weebo
03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Were you watching the same game as I was? The guards were having a difficult time getting the ball to RJ. I am not making excuses for him, but it is hard to do anything when you cannot get the ball in any sort of rythym because it is tipped, low pass, or the ball is stolen before it even gets to you.

If you have played basketball before, you understand that recieving the ball in the right spot opens up your options. Defenders often pressure once they see the pass is low, or it gives them the time they need to close out. They already know that if you pull up it won't be in rythym, and that your best option is to drive, or pass. It is hard to do anything offensively if you have a defender who knows what they are doing.

I have played basketball ball (at the college level). And what I see from Jefferson is the same half ass intensity that he showed much of last year. It has more to do with his effort than getting the ball at the right spot. He does nothing absolutely worthwhile on the court. He just doesn't do anything particularly well to make up for he's lack of scoring. He is not a very good defender. Not really adept at rebounding. He isn't a very good slasher in the half court set (creating shots for others). Seriously, what the hell does he do that is worthwhile???

Budkin
03-01-2011, 11:40 PM

:lol That's a bit of an overreaction.

weebo
03-01-2011, 11:41 PM

is it really?

Hoops Czar
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Who cares..... You give 109 points and over 50% shooting AGAIN, your going to lose.

spurtech09
03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
wasn't just rj other spurs players weren't doing anything either....george hill was awful tonight

Blackjack
03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
My concerns with RJ are the fact that he thrived when the Spurs were playing at a faster pace and style more conducive to regular season success rather than playoff success.

If you look at the team's pace it's actually pretty damn close to what it was last year. The difference is that number looks better as the rest of the league has slowed from a year ago.

RJ isn't the same player he was last year. I am much more optimistic about him coming through when the opportunities are there - he's ready to finish now from the spot-up and in his sporadic, infrequent touches/opportunities. But his talent and ability to really thrive on this team to a degree that it helps the team's collective benefit is greatly diminished when the pace is slower and the opportunities are fewer.

Really seems like you're going to see some great nights in terms of efficiency - maybe hitting on 8-11 FG and 4-5 3P - and other nights he'll barely register on the stat sheet offensively. He's just gonna have to board and put all of that 6-7 frame in the right spots defensively and hope that that's enough.

I've got much respect for RJ these days. What he did this summer and how he turned it around at this stage of his career, that ain't no small thing. But the fact remains that his actual talent and skillset isn't best served being on this type of team. He's shown signs of being able to be good enough to make it work, which is more than I could have said or hoped for a year ago, but that fact remains.

I'm just hoping he can have one of those hot, efficient stretches he's had during the year in the postseason. Just need him to playing well at the right time - and he's given me reason to believe this year that he's more than capable of doing so.

xellos88330
03-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I have played basketball ball (at the college level). And what I see from Jefferson is the same half ass intensity that he showed much of last year. It has more to do with his effort than getting the ball at the right spot. He does nothing absolutely worthwhile on the court. He just doesn't do anything particularly well to make up for he's lack of scoring. He is not a very good defender. Not really adept at rebounding. He isn't a very good slasher in the half court set (creating shots for others). Seriously, what the hell does he do that is worthwhile???

He keeps Luke Walton distracted.
(couldn't help it)

Seriously though, I do agree that he needs to assert himself at times. I think he is scared to screw up. He knows that if he plays outside of the system, and it doesn't work out, Pop won't hesitate to bench him. At least offensively. Defensively is where he really needs to assert himself. It is the only time he can go balls to the wall without fear of being benched. I hope he will understand this come playoff time.

ElNono
03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
RJ adapted to the spot up shooting role fairly well. We just don't have many shot creators out there outside of Manu/Tony (Neal is probably a distant third). So now that Tony is down, Manu will have to create more for the rest.

Hill being slow to start the offense is also a problem. We ended up jacking up bad shots or giving the ball to Tim with 5 secs left. Some of that is correctable, and hopefully the Spurs can work on it in the next few days.

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2011, 12:11 AM

And we have another idiot that can't read or is unable to grasp the most simple concepts like TiC. Dudette, you should be worrying more about that pic of ??? on your alias page where the guy looks like he just got through eating a bowl of shit and he enjoyed it. Amazing that the guy was able to lick his teeth clean. Now if you don't mind, go to school and get an education so you can follow along here, ok? OK! Sheeeesh!

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
03-02-2011, 12:13 AM
The writing is on the wall . . .

bongraider
03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
dont blame RJ, he was perfect from the field in this game. how can he score when he gets only 2 touches in a single quarter? the rock has got to be distributed to everyone!

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Dick just sucks... period.:lol

Hey Lakaluva, are these two characters, Ericb and budkin from central casting of the Jay Leno show? The skit they do where Jay goes out on the streets of Burbank and finds dumbasses who don't know who the President is or how many dimes in a dollar. Hell they don't know how many dimes are in a dime. :toast

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
is it really?

Thanks...! :toast

ElNono
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
The writing is on the wall . . .

The Lakers can't win without HCA?

SenorSpur
03-02-2011, 12:20 AM
The expectations for RJ is that his level of offensive contribution should go up.

As for whose fault it is, I believe it's a two-part deal. RJ needs to be more aggressive. And the two guys handling the ball (Hill and Manu) need to help generate offense for others, as they do for themselves.

Certainly the team is out-of-sync without Parker. Too often I saw Hill and Manu playing their version of hero basketball - and struggling all the while

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-02-2011, 12:20 AM
With TP out it's time for RJ to stop being so passive and pick up some of the scoring slack. Time to earn that bloated contract.

Budkin
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
And we have another idiot that can't read or is unable to grasp the most simple concepts like TiC. Dudette, you should be worrying more about that pic of ??? on your alias page where the guy looks like he just got through eating a bowl of shit and he enjoyed it. Amazing that the guy was able to lick his teeth clean. Now if you don't mind, go to school and get an education so you can follow along here, ok? OK! Sheeeesh!

Come on I thought it was funny... thus the :lol I ain't no dummy.

Killakobe81
03-02-2011, 12:22 AM
My concerns with RJ are the fact that he thrived when the Spurs were playing at a faster pace and style more conducive to regular season success rather than playoff success.

If you look at the team's pace it's actually pretty damn close to what it was last year. The difference is that number looks better as the rest of the league has slowed from a year ago.

RJ isn't the same player he was last year. I am much more optimistic about him coming through when the opportunities are there - he's ready to finish now from the spot-up and in his sporadic, infrequent touches/opportunities. But his talent and ability to really thrive on this team to a degree that it helps the team's collective benefit is greatly diminished when the pace is slower and the opportunities are fewer.

Really seems like you're going to see some great nights in terms of efficiency - maybe hitting on 8-11 FG and 4-5 3P - and other nights he'll barely register on the stat sheet offensively. He's just gonna have to board and put all of that 6-7 frame in the right spots defensively and hope that that's enough.

I've got much respect for RJ these days. What he did this summer and how he turned it around at this stage of his career, that ain't no small thing. But the fact remains that his actual talent and skillset isn't best served being on this type of team. He's shown signs of being able to be good enough to make it work, which is more than I could have said or hoped for a year ago, but that fact remains.

I'm just hoping he can have one of those hot, efficient stretches he's had during the year in the postseason. Just need him to playing well at the right time - and he's given me reason to believe this year that he's more than capable of doing so.

Solid analysis ... I hope you are right hope Lakers vs. spurs inthe WCF ...this board will be epic ...

SouthTexasRancher
03-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Come on I thought it was funny... thus the :lol I ain't no dummy.

Okiedokie!

Budkin
03-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Solid analysis ... I hope you are right hope Lakers vs. spurs inthe WCF ...this board will be epic ...

That shit will be EPIC. And God help those of us that support the team that loses the series. They will never hear the end of it.

Blackjack
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Wouldn't have it any other way. If you're going to win it, might as well go through the 2-time defending champs. :tu

Besides, despite the in-state skirmishes and matchups the league's done their best to glorify and make sure take precedence over others, SA-LA has been the best NBA rivalry going for a decade. Unlike some of the other ones, maybe the more aesthetically pleasing or star-studded, these matchups have had real consequence - championships.

TD 21
03-02-2011, 02:37 AM
It's partially Pop's/Parker's/Ginobili's/Hill's fault for not calling his number and looking to get him involved more, but it's partially Jefferson's as well. He doesn't look to assert himself, he seems more than content to play the role of a typical Spurs wing player not named Ginobili. Which, to an extent, is fine. But what happened to the Jefferson of early in the season, where he was mixing it up and getting to the line some? He might as well be Bowen or Finley at this point.

I'd like to see them come out tomorrow, first play of the game, get Jefferson off. Maybe even the first two. After that, don't just forget about him for the rest of the game.

Capt Bringdown
03-02-2011, 02:44 AM
What was RJ brought in for, his stellar D and rebounding?
He was brought here primarily to take some of the offensive load off of the big 3, making us more versatile and dangerous overall.
Two years in, I'm not sure if he's being used properly or if he was who we thought he was.
In other words, we don't know what we have in RJ, and that's kind of problem.
Rather a steep price to pay for a spot-up shooter, ain't it?

Blackjack
03-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Think about how RJ started the season. Remember all those transition, early offense jumpers he was taking and making? Where have those gone - they've zipped up their game quite a bit while attempting to shore up their D.

That's the biggest difference to me with RJ. He's not someone you run a play for and he gets going offensively. He needs to get up and down that track. He's a thoroughbred. His game is very temperamental when it comes to hitting seams and attacking off the dribble. His handle isn't all that great, his lateral movement isn't either, but once he gets warmed up running the wing and out in transition ... things seem to work a lot better and come a lot easier. He gets a little more confidence, starts feeling his oats, taking matters into his own hands and venturing out to do a little more than he's accustomed to.

The problem is, I don't think Pop and the Spurs are committed to being that up-tempo, not at the expense of the defensive end. I'm just not sure there's ever going to be the right ratio of halfcourt-to-transition basketball for RJ to be the player he started the season as.

But I do believe he can be successful for the team. He's at least given me reason to believe he's got what it takes to make do and help this team get back to where they want to be - I just don't think they'll ever be able to fully utilize his talent.

benefactor
03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
The biggest thing I'm noticing about RJ is his overall intensity is down. Earlier in the year he was able to make an impact regardless of whether or not he was scoring...which was a huge difference from last year. It seems like lately he's been reverting back to his overall game suffering if his not involved offensively.

spurspokesman
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM

I concur. He has always been at his best with an assertive point guard to open things up ala Kidd in NJ and here with Parker. Had hill played a lick better RJ gives a little more. We will be fine.

hater
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
scary to say but the closer we are getting to the playoffs the more suck versions of Dick Jefferson and Ginger bonner show up.

Not to mention Splitter is a goddam pussy.

Agloco
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Not

Holding

my

Breath.......

urunobili
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
scary to say but the closer we are getting to the playoffs the more suck versions of Dick Jefferson and Ginger bonner show up.

Not to mention Splitter is a goddam pussy.

Fail. Dick won us the most important game of the post season last year vs. the Mavs in their homecourt

Blackjack
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
The biggest thing I'm noticing about RJ is his overall intensity is down. Earlier in the year he was able to make an impact regardless of whether or not he was scoring...which was a huge difference from last year. It seems like lately he's been reverting back to his overall game suffering if his not involved offensively.

I agree. But I also believe that's due to his involvement in the game and offense.

RJ's got basketball ADD. You have to keep him involved and/or chasing the carrot. When the Spurs were really forcing the pace, giving him the green light to take those pull-ups in transition and just having him get up and down the court more - regardless of outcome - we saw a player much more in tune with the team. We began to see him making contributions in facets of the game he rarely did last year.

Now ... he's pretty much back to being the same player of a year ago. The difference being, he's a much more confident player in that limited role - he won't be stepping inside that arc and destroying spacing like he did against Dallas in the halfcourt.

There's no doubt RJ's a better player for this team than a year ago. But I'm afraid we won't be seeing the RJ that started the year finish the year without the Spurs upping the pace - hopefully they can find a happy enough medium.

Agloco
03-02-2011, 01:55 PM
RJ's got basketball ADD. You have to keep him involved and/or chasing the carrot.

I completely understand your point here, but it's still pretty damn funny.

Dicky J chasing a carrot = :lmao

kaji157
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
In some way, in other teams, he has been able to average a high ammount of points with a respectable ammount of shoots and %.
Pop has to take his head out of his arse and realize that the SF spot can contribute on offense as well from other places than the corner 3.
Okey, he is not Manu, nor Parker, but Jefferson needs to have some sets run for him. At least a couple of sets where he is the second option, he seems to always be the last option in every play.

Blackjack
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I completely understand your point here, but it's still pretty damn funny.

Dicky J chasing a carrot = :lmao

Hey, as long as he's chasing and never gets a hold of it ... we should be straight - see what I did there? :downspin:

I'm so ashamed. ... Omnipotent shame. :depressed

hater
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Fail. Dick won us the most important game of the post season last year vs. the Mavs in their homecourt

sup uru

and how did Dick do vs. the Suns?

mingus
03-02-2011, 04:12 PM
No plays are ever called for him. That's not his fault. Blame Pop for that.

Another thing: last nights game highlighted how important our offense is since we can't play a whole game of consistently great defense.

quentin_compson
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
With Tony out, RJ needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end, but there's only so much you can do when you just don't get a lot of touches.

weebo
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I've said this brfore: Dick is a ghost out on the court most of the time. He doesn't do anything particularly good or bad to get noticed. Most of the time he's out on the court you don't even notice it. One more thing, I don't buy this crap about not getting enough touches. Sometimes you have to want take shots ala 'Neal with it.' Dick just don't wanna.

TD 21
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
He's not someone you run a play for and he gets going offensively. He needs to get up and down that track. He's a thoroughbred. His game is very temperamental when it comes to hitting seams and attacking off the dribble. His handle isn't all that great, his lateral movement isn't either, but once he gets warmed up running the wing and out in transition ... things seem to work a lot better and come a lot easier. He gets a little more confidence, starts feeling his oats, taking matters into his own hands and venturing out to do a little more than he's accustomed to.

I realize that. But something's got to be done, because they need more out of him with Parker out (heck, they need more out of him than what they've gotten recently even with Parker in). 2-3 fg's and 0 ft's a game isn't going to cut it. They've got to make it a point of emphasis to get him going, because, as we know, he can't create his own shot. Theoretically, the rest of his game should pick up if he's more involved in the offense.

Jahivah
03-02-2011, 08:41 PM
He's become too comfortable being "just" a spot up three point shooter.
He rarely drives the ball anymore

Russ
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM
RJ is the type of player that dictates team success -- the 4th or 5th guy.

He better regain the progress he showed earlier in the season (and in the playoffs last year against Dallas). When RJ is contributing, the Spurs are at a championship level.

EricB
03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
solid game from RJ tonight IMO.

Hope he brings the same effort Friday.

weebo
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
solid game from RJ tonight IMO.

Hope he brings the same effort Friday.
He's gonna have to. He'll most likely see a lot of LBJ.

bus driver
03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
RJ still plays for the spurs? :wtf

well holy shit.....:wakeup

MannyIsGod
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
RJ's become a three point shooter. Parker creates more 3s on this team than anyone else, therefor RJ suffers. We'll see how he does against Mia though.

eightG4
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Even if RJ score's less, his 3 point ability this year gave energy boost to the team.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Even if RJ score's less, his 3 point ability this year gave energy boost to the team.

Plus the thing about him being gay.

See Ohm, this way, I avoided having to read through 2 extra pages of comments.

ohmwrecker
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Plus the thing about him being gay.

See Ohm, this way, I avoided having to read through 2 extra pages of comments.

Good plan. :tu

GrandeDavid
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
RJ is the type of player that dictates team success -- the 4th or 5th guy.

He better regain the progress he showed earlier in the season (and in the playoffs last year against Dallas). When RJ is contributing, the Spurs are at a championship level.

Agreed! Man, how I hope he brings it against Miami. The Spurs are really gonna need him in attack mode and putting forth lots of effort on D.

Blackjack
03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I realize that. But something's got to be done, because they need more out of him with Parker out (heck, they need more out of him than what they've gotten recently even with Parker in). 2-3 fg's and 0 ft's a game isn't going to cut it. They've got to make it a point of emphasis to get him going, because, as we know, he can't create his own shot. Theoretically, the rest of his game should pick up if he's more involved in the offense.

No doubt. I know what you're saying. It's just hard to really call plays for him because he's not much of an iso player at this point, his post game is a jab-step to face-up jumper and you can only really run him off screens for a jumper or lob of some sort - not exactly the type of continuity and playcalling that helps the team as much as it does him the individual.

It's all about pace for me. If they're not going to play at the pace they did to start the season, RJ's ceiling is a typical Spurs small forward. A spot-up, limited-opportunity shooter. He's got the ability to be extremely efficient and do it better than most that have taken on the role offensively, but the ceiling's pretty low.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
No doubt. I know what you're saying. It's just hard to really call plays for him because he's not much of an iso player at this point, his post game is a jab-step to face-up jumper and you can only really run him off screens for a jumper or lob of some sort - not exactly the type of continuity and playcalling that helps the team as much as it does him the individual.

It's all about pace for me. If they're not going to play at the pace they did to start the season, RJ's ceiling is a typical Spurs small forward. A spot-up, limited-opportunity shooter. He's got the ability to be extremely efficient and do it better than most that have taken on the role offensively, but the ceiling's pretty low.

This is all true. But he does provide some ability to get to the rim at times and still finish pretty strong. The point being that he does provide a little more than just the spot up shooter. Probably more so than any recent Spurs SF.

spursince#99
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
plus the thing about him being gay.

See ohm, this way, i avoided having to read through 2 extra pages of comments.u gay

wontstartdumbthreads
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
u gay

You start your own worthless thread and then feel the need to post here also???

BoricuaCJA
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
No plays are ever called for him. That's not his fault. Blame Pop for that.

Another thing: last nights game highlighted how important our offense is since we can't play a whole game of consistently great defense.
There is only 1 play thats called for him, and thats the alleyoop with the back screen.

RJ needs to start being aggressive on cutting to the rim more and harder. He's too passive at times and the Spurs have to start running a little bit more on the fast break for him b/c thats where he strives the most.

Blackjack
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
This is all true. But he does provide some ability to get to the rim at times and still finish pretty strong. The point being that he does provide a little more than just the spot up shooter. Probably more so than any recent Spurs SF.

Absolutely. But his drives are almost solely predicated off of transition and the playing off of others and a moving/collapsing defense.

The Spurs can certainly use him better and get more out of him by using the 2-man game between he and Tim - which has been successful when utilized but rarely ever used for some reason - hitting him for backdoors, dive-ins and flash cuts near the paint and around the rim, but it's all secondary stuff that comes off of a lot of action. You just can't hand him the ball at the 3-point line or feed him in the post to get him going the way you'd like.

I'm all for them getting a little more creative and running some better action with a few more options for RJ to find himself open as option A, B or C. But there's only so much you can do with him in the halfcourt with his talent and in this scheme - so far as it being beneficial the team as a whole and not just him individually.