PDA

View Full Version : Spurs have best record in NBA b/c Manu and TP finally give a rest to their bullshit.

senorglory
03-12-2011, 12:48 AM
The Spurs have the best record in NBA this year because Manu and Parker finally gave a rest to their (since I been drinking beer all day, I will say it) bullshit commitment to international ball during the off-season-- their commitment to national team play over their professional commitment to the Spurs, their commitment to good health and longevity, their commitment to professionalism, and their good faith commitment to us as their goddamn buying-their-jerseys/ reading-the-sportspage-every-fucking-day/ road-tripping/ season-ticket-holding/ price-gouging-scalper-buying/ nose-bleed-sitting/ face-painting/ five-dollar-hotdog-at-the-arena-buying/ car-sticker-sportin'/ baby-naming/ tattoo-getting/ spurstalking fools of a fans. These two have alternated limping through the regular seasons and playoffs to the detriment of the Spurs season after season, with the long-awaited exception of this year.

Finally.

No summer ball this year and lo' and behold, best record in the league. Speaks for itself. Dirty motherfuckers.

greyforest
03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
they aren't contractually restricted from play overseas. they're grown men and can do whatever they want with their bodies and lives, and it's not anyone's business but theirs.

It sure is nice when everybody is healthy, though, I'll grant you that.

EricB
03-12-2011, 01:03 AM
100% agree.

The overseason bullshit is exactly that.

senorglory
03-12-2011, 01:05 AM
they aren't contractually restricted from play overseas. they're grown men and can do whatever they want with their bodies and lives...

They can. But I don't like it. So I'm ranting.

senorglory
03-12-2011, 01:06 AM

Is it the difference this year? My multi-beer theory is yeeeesh.

diego
03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
great theory. problem is, the 03/05/07 championships all came in years were anywhere from 1 to 2 of the big 3 were in summer competition (including duncan).

then there is the fact that the last 2 championships were won by a team with its two best players (kobe and pau) playing international ball.

so much for that.

Obstructed_View
03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Anywhere from 1 to 2? So like 1.5, or more like 1.7?

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Well the Spurs have been aware of their intentions when they have signed their contracts and extensions. I'm pretty sure the Spurs were happy to sign a $50 mil not fully guaranteed extension with Tony.

smeagol
03-12-2011, 08:24 AM
great theory. problem is, the 03/05/07 championships all came in years were anywhere from 1 to 2 of the big 3 were in summer competition (including duncan).

then there is the fact that the last 2 championships were won by a team with its two best players (kobe and pau) playing international ball.

so much for that.

Good point. This should shut those idiots the fuck up. And Manu will be playing ball this summer (Olympic games Qualifiers) and if they do qualify, he will play again next year in London.

So suck it up, assholes.

benefactor
03-12-2011, 08:26 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UWnyq6IbKXQ/TQBwJCllOjI/AAAAAAAAAY8/G6MV0g7cNKk/s1600/not_this_shit_again.jpg

jag
03-12-2011, 08:26 AM
they aren't contractually restricted from play overseas. they're grown men and can do whatever they want with their bodies and lives, and it's not anyone's business but theirs.

Congratulations. This might be the stupidest argument ive in seen in a long time regarding international play. Season ticket holders, Peter Holt and Popovich have no business worrying about whether or not the Spurs best players are resting during the offseason?

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Congratulations. This might be the stupidest argument ive in seen in a long time regarding international play. Season ticket holders, Peter Holt and Popovich have no business worrying about whether or not the Spurs best players are resting during the offseason?

Of course they'd be worried about possible injuries, but they've been perfectly happy to sign extensions with both players, knowing about this.

Bambililos
03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Some people are fun when they drink. You're not, quit drinking.

TMTTRIO
03-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Manu had his best year ever after playing in the Olympics in '05 where he won the gold medal. Do you really think he would of developed like he did if he didn't play that Olympics and win? Like he said he's had years where he didn't play during the summer and still got injured too so it really doesn't matter.

Bruno
03-12-2011, 09:42 AM
And it's going to be more and more problematic (at least for Parker).

FIBA has a tendency to increase the number of international games played in the summer to generate more and more money. For example, the Eurobasket has expanded from 16 teams to 24 ones. Euobasket will be now up to 11 games in 18/19 days.

The result of that is FNT "season" could be 10 weeks long (July 12th-September 18th). If Spurs go to the final and there is no lockout, you can imagine the disaster...

Tony has called out FIBA in french newspaper on how they raise the number of NT games. He said that if it continues, NBA players will stop playing these games.

tmtcsc
03-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Telling these guys they can't play with their international teams is like telling a married man he can't have nights out with his friends anymore.

They might stay home but you've sapped their spirit. I just wish that they'd gotten it out of their systems already. They need to rest as they get older.

MmP
03-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Good point. This should shut those idiots the fuck up. And Manu will be playing ball this summer (Olympic games Qualifiers) and if they do qualify, he will play again next year in London.

So suck it up, assholes.
True but we got to admit that Manu is no longer 28 or 30. He's gonna be 34. And playing international ball in the summer takes an relevant affect to his game in the season. Although I don't buy the "professional commitment" over the "international bullshit" from the original thread started. Both are professional desitions and you stupid guy have to live with it.

Proxy
03-12-2011, 12:55 PM
These guys have an entire country looking up to them as gods. It isn't like here in the US where people don't really care because we have it well off for the most part, but when people like Manu become as successful worldwide as he is, playing for your country has a new meaning.

This season isn't a coincidence though, I'll agree, but calling summer ball BS is disrespectful and moronic.

kaji157
03-12-2011, 01:10 PM
We can only hope that the thread starter is wrong, as Manu and TP will both play this year and the next for their countries.

I got to say also that Kobe is 33 and not planing to quit the US team and i don't see lakers fans bitching around all the time.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I got to say also that Kobe is 33 and not planing to quit the US team and i don't see lakers fans bitching around all the time.

Kobe hasn't missed 25+ regular season games or an entire postseason since he started playing with the American team. If he ever does, you can be sure that the Laker fan base would object.

In the big picture, however, this whole discussion is moot. The players have every right to play and the Spurs knew about their plans before signing them to multiple contracts and extensions.

Manu and Tony have both been up front and public about their intentions to play for their NTs in 2011 and 2012. The Spurs didn't have to extend their contracts, but they did. End of story.

DMX7
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM

It kind of is our (or at least the Spurs') business.

Cane
03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
NBA veterans need to take a break from playing competitive basketball every once in a while whether its to heal injuries, work on your game, or just conserving mileage. International competition can take a lot of wear and tear since you're playing for your country and its people's pride; plus you just played a NBA season and playoffs.

Playing internationally in the summer is best for young talents that could use the experience like Kevin Durant and Co. showed this summer.

For what its worth the USA Team is also stacked with crazy talent so Kobe doesn't have to work as hard or sacrifice as much as international stars. Whereas Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have to play like prime MVP's for their team to make up for the lack of overall team talent. I think there are quite a few Laker fans that aren't happy with all the mileage Kobe's got. Hell some are pissed that he spent an hour shooting around and lifting weights after that recent Heat game.

greyforest
03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
It kind of is our (or at least the Spurs') business.

It would be if there was something in their contracts about it.

dbreiden83080
03-12-2011, 01:47 PM

When you make 10 plus mil a year, your obligation is to your team that pays that money. Not your national team. What i find so fuckin offensive about that crap is that if these players had a clause in their deal that said they lose huge portions of their salary if they get hurt playing for their national teams, none of them would ever risk it. It is always about the money with athletes. Tell Tony he loses 50% of his 2012 salary if he gets hurt and see how motivated he is to play for France.. They make it an easy call for these guys because whether they break their necks or come back healthy as can be they still get paid. I hope in the future the international play gets seriously restricted contractually so teams like the Spurs don't have to pay 10 mil to a Tony Parker while he gimps around all year long thanks to his stupid national team..

Proxy
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
When you make 10 plus mil a year, your obligation is to your team that pays that money. Not your national team. What i find so fuckin offensive about that crap is that if these players had a clause in their deal that said they lose huge portions of their salary if they get hurt playing for their national teams, none of them would ever risk it. It is always about the money with athletes. Tell Tony he loses 50% of his 2012 salary if he gets hurt and see how motivated he is to play for France.. They make it an easy call for these guys because whether they break their necks or come back healthy as can be they still get paid. I hope in the future the international play gets seriously restricted contractually so teams like the Spurs don't have to pay 10 mil to a Tony Parker while he gimps around all year long thanks to his stupid national team..

You're a moron.

dbreiden83080
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM

So suck it up, assholes.

He'll be 34 soon for shit's sake. This guy needs his head examined. You won a Gold Medal.. Enough already..

dbreiden83080
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Telling these guys they can't play with their international teams is like telling a married man he can't have nights out with his friends anymore.

Yeah but if the married man gets an STD when he goes out of some kind that kinda nixes the deal.. When Tony is too beat to shit to play worth a damn thanks to this crap.. Well that to me says he should never ever play for anyone other than the Spurs..

dbreiden83080
03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
You're a moron.

Way to disect my case.. This is something that may change down the road. Too many owners fuckin hate it.. If you were an owner and that shit caused your star player to get badly hurt and ruined your season, Wouldn't you be pissed? Good-bye winning season, goodbye ticket sales.. Good bye revenue..

You know making money is the point to all of this right??

Sense
03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Great... you just called out the french and argentinian homers..

greyforest
03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Yeah, but you have to realize...

Tony Parker is the best basketball player in France.
Manu Ginobili is the best basketball player in Argentina.

If you're gonna build your team with foreign players of this caliber, you have to expect they are going to represent their countries.

Like you say, if the contracts were written differently, maybe you'd have a right to complain.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
If you were an owner and that shit caused your star player to get badly hurt and ruined your season, Wouldn't you be pissed?

In Holt's case, not pissed off enough to decline to extend the contracts of Parker and Ginobili last year. The Spurs could have traded either one or allowed them to leave in free agency. They accepted the additional risks associated with NT play when they signed the extensions.

DMX7
03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
It would be if there was something in their contracts about it.

You're thinking strictly from a legal perspective. Parker & Ginobili or whoever can do whatever they want, but if they get hurt, it affects the Spurs as a business. That's all I'm saying.

toki9
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
So money/employment should supersede patriotism? So a hired gun should go fight for their employer ahead of his/her country?

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
So money/employment should supersede patriotism? So a hired gun should go fight for their employer ahead of his/her country?

Don't start with the patriotism stuff.

toki9
03-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't start with the patriotism stuff.

But isn't that what it's about for a lot of these players? And arguments made against NT participation fundamentally reduces to putting extra-contractual "obligation" (can you have extra-contractual obligation? That sounds like a contradiction) ahead of whatever personal feelings the players may have towards their country/etc.

We're basically saying that the foreign players should put our entertainment/bragging right need above their national needs since we're paying them to entertain us. No?

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
But isn't that what it's about for a lot of these players? And arguments made against NT participation fundamentally reduces to putting extra-contractual "obligation" (can you have extra-contractual obligation? That sounds like a contradiction) ahead of whatever personal feelings the players may have towards their country/etc.

We're basically saying that the foreign players should put our entertainment/bragging right need above their national needs since we're paying them to entertain us. No?

No. It's just a red herring that confuses the actual issues at hand.

None of the big name players have ever put country ahead of money. Some have said that they would, but they all manage to sign guaranteed contracts before they play in the summer.

When Tony, Manu, Scola, Dirk, and Pau play this summer they all will do so with 100% financial security. All the risk is assumed by the team owners. (Of course, the owners have signed off on this arrangement in every CBA since 1992).

So patriotism is a false issue until one of the top players participates in a FIBA tournament while he is a free agent. To the best of my recollection, the biggest name that ever risked his financial future to play for his NT was Jorge Garbajosa.

ElNono
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
What i find so fuckin offensive about that crap is that if these players had a clause in their deal that said they lose huge portions of their salary if they get hurt playing for their national teams, none of them would ever risk it. It is always about the money with athletes.

I'm not sure you can generalize about this... it's not like players can't be multi-millionaires unless they play in the NBA. As I'm sure there are players that are in it for the money, I'm sure there's plenty that are in it for the glory.

ElNono
03-12-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think patriotism is the word, tbh... I think it's the pursuit of winning at every level... these are guys that are genuinely top talent and would never be without some ball club handing a contract their way, NBA or not.

ElNono
03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
One example would be Manu having to leave money on the table with his rookie salary in the NBA for the chance to play in this league. Some will say it's an investment in the future, but professional sports are always a risky gamble. Injuries, adaptation... it's a big gamble that's hard to justify for somebody in it just for the money...

toki9
03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
No. It's just a red herring that confuses the actual issues at hand.

None of the big name players have ever put country ahead of money. Some have said that they would, but they all manage to sign guaranteed contracts before they play in the summer.

When Tony, Manu, Scola, Dirk, and Pau play this summer they all will do so with 100% financial security. All the risk is assumed by the team owners. (Of course, the owners have signed off on this arrangement in every CBA since 1992).

So patriotism is a false issue until one of the top players participates in a FIBA tournament while he is a free agent. To the best of my recollection, the biggest name that ever risked his financial future to play for his NT was Jorge Garbajosa.

Actually, signing guaranteed contracts before playing isn't an indication that they're not willing to leave money on the table. It just means that they haven't had to.

jjktkk
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
The inconveniance of foreign players player for their country is not going away anytime soon, so I don't see why we need another Parker/Ginoboli shouldn't play for their country thread.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Actually, signing guaranteed contracts before playing isn't an indication that they're not willing to leave money on the table. It just means that they haven't had to.

Which is exactly what I said. Convenient, though, that all the big names have been under contract when these tourneys roll around.

Every time this issue comes up, someone says "why should these guys be expected to put their employer before their country?". It's not a valid question when none of these players have put their country ahead of their own financial interests.

As I've said many times on this board, this is an issue that has been settled through negotiated agreements between the NBA and FIBA and between the NBA and the NBA Players Association. Rich guys with high powered lawyers made those agreements and those agreements say that NBA players can play in FIBA events. Period.

toki9
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Which is exactly what I said. Convenient, though, that all the big names have been under contract when these tourneys roll around.

Convenient, yes. Proof, no--which is what you were seemingly getting at.

Slomo
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Every time this issue comes up, someone says "why should these guys be expected to put their employer before their country?". It's not a valid question when none of these players have put their country ahead of their own financial interests.

As I've said many times on this board, this is an issue that has been settled through negotiated agreements between the NBA and FIBA and between the NBA and the NBA Players Association. Rich guys with high powered lawyers made those agreements and those agreements say that NBA players can play in FIBA events. Period.

- Players from every league play in FIBA events, why should the NBA be an exception?

- The players were developed within the local national organization and clubs. If they are good enough they go on to play for the NBA, who does not pay any retribution to the local club/organization (OK a small amount that is completely regulated by NBA rules), unlike when they go play for other leagues. So there is a financial "debt" from the NBA too.

- And finally the players receive the OK from their NBA clubs only if they have special insurances taken out by the national organization for the duration of the tournament. So if the player is injured and can not play the club is fully compensated - the owners are not losing money.

Slomo
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
BTW are you guys OK with American NBA players playing for team USA?

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Convenient, yes. Proof, no--which is what you were seemingly getting at.

That's how you read it. I wasn't seemingly getting at anything. What I was getting at was stated quite clearly.

My point is that the patriotism stuff is irrelevant to this discussion. The issue is governed by binding agreements between the parties involved.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:10 PM
- Players from every league play in FIBA events, why should the NBA be an exception?

I didn't state or imply that should be. Quite the contrary.

- The players were developed within the local national organization and clubs. If they are good enough they go on to play for the NBA, who does not pay any retribution to the local club/organization (OK a small amount that is completely regulated by NBA rules), unlike when they go play for other leagues. So there is a financial "debt" from the NBA too.

Not sure where you're going here, Slomo, but this is not a subject I've ever addressed.

- And finally the players receive the OK from their NBA clubs only if they have special insurances taken out by the national organization for the duration of the tournament. So if the player is injured and can not play the club is fully compensated - the owners are not losing money.

1. All my posts on this issue, including all those in this thread, have supported the right of players to participate in FIBA events. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me to take a position I already hold.

2. Insurance covers the player's salary, it doesn't replace the player's performance. Losing a premier player leads to losses in revenue (playoff gate receipts) that insurance doesn't begin to cover.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:12 PM
BTW are you guys OK with American NBA players playing for team USA?

Nationality has nothing to with it. All NBA players have a right to play on their NTs.

DAF86
03-12-2011, 04:12 PM

so much for that.

That's pretty much thread/

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:14 PM
That's pretty much thread/

Not so much.

DAF86
03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Not so much.

Yeah, because the OP tried to imply that we're doing well 'cause Manu and Tony didn't play in the offseason, and diego pointed that lately the teams that have won it all had their best players playing during the summer, including the Spurs, dissmising the OP's theory.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah, because the OP tried to imply that we're doing well 'cause Manu and Tony didn't play in the offseason, and diego pointed that lately the teams that have won it all had their best players playing during the summer, including the Spurs, dissmising the OP's theory.

Well, you certainly believe it did. I didn't.

dbreiden83080
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Tony was moping around like a zombie all year last year

One guess why that was?? Actually never mind...

“After a long discussion with Gregg Popovich, I know now that I won’t play for the World Championship. The Spurs told me that it would be best for me to focus on the club only. This season was wasted by injuries, they don’t want it to happen during my last year of contract.”

DAF86
03-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Injuries happen everywhere, in fact Manu's big injury happened playing in the NBA not FIBA.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Injuries happen everywhere, in fact Manu's big injury happened playing in the NBA not FIBA.

And re-injured in Beijing.

Injuries can indeed happen anywhere, but an NBA player that spends the offseason following a rest and fitness regimen is likely to be in better condition on Day 1 of training camp than a player who plays competitive basketball in the offseason. There are no guarantees either way, but the odds favor the rest and fitness regimen, especially as a player gets older.

Slomo
03-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I didn't state or imply that should be. Quite the contrary.

Not sure where you're going here, Slomo, but this is not a subject I've ever addressed.

1. All my posts on this issue, including all those in this thread, have supported the right of players to participate in FIBA events. I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me to take a position I already hold.

I'm not arguing with you but more expanding your claim that the only reason for this is a contract by some savvy lawyers. My point is that there is a good argument to be made why the contract exists.

2. Insurance covers the player's salary, it doesn't replace the player's performance. Losing a premier player leads to losses in revenue (playoff gate receipts) that insurance doesn't begin to cover.

Actually that is not entirely true since I remember the insurance value to be more than the salary of the player. If I remember correctly it was something like player's salary + fixed lump sum defined by the club. I also remember the insurance companies charging an arm and a leg for those.

While I agree that the insurance does little for the fans, I am pretty sure that the bottom line on the owner's balance sheet would be hardly impacted by the player's injury.

Again not criticizing this, just pointing out that some posters are a little naive thinking that smart owners (for the most part) would agree to loan their players and risk jeopardizing their business completely at their own risk.

Slomo
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Nationality has nothing to with it. All NBA players have a right to play on their NTs.

While I agree with you, this type of threads always bitch about foreign players playing for their national teams and almost never about Team USA.

Marcus Bryant
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
The Spurs have the best record in NBA this year because Manu and Parker finally gave a rest to their (since I been drinking beer all day, I will say it) bullshit commitment to international ball during the off-season-- their commitment to national team play over their professional commitment to the Spurs, their commitment to good health and longevity, their commitment to professionalism, and their good faith commitment to us as their goddamn buying-their-jerseys/ reading-the-sportspage-every-fucking-day/ road-tripping/ season-ticket-holding/ price-gouging-scalper-buying/ nose-bleed-sitting/ face-painting/ five-dollar-hotdog-at-the-arena-buying/ car-sticker-sportin'/ baby-naming/ tattoo-getting/ spurstalking fools of a fans. These two have alternated limping through the regular seasons and playoffs to the detriment of the Spurs season after season, with the long-awaited exception of this year.

Finally.

No summer ball this year and lo' and behold, best record in the league. Speaks for itself. Dirty motherfuckers.

Amen.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not arguing with you but more expanding your claim that the only reason for this is a contract by some savvy lawyers. My point is that there is a good argument to be made why the contract exists.

Got it. The agreements exist because of money.

Actually that is not entirely true since I remember the insurance value to be more than the salary of the player. If I remember correctly it was something like player's salary + fixed lump sum defined by the club. I also remember the insurance companies charging an arm and a leg for those.

While I agree that the insurance does little for the fans, I am pretty sure that the bottom line on the owner's balance sheet would be hardly impacted by the player's injury.

Again not criticizing this, just pointing out that some posters are a little naive thinking that smart owners (for the most part) would agree to loan their players and risk jeopardizing their business completely at their own risk.

Think about it this way.

There is a substantial amount of money to made if an NBA club makes a deep playoff run.

What are the chances that the Spurs make a deep playoff run without Tony or Manu?

My point on this side issue, and that's all I believe it is, is that the owner of a franchise with great international player assumes a disproportionately portion of the overall risk associated with FIBA tournaments.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
While I agree with you, this type of threads always bitch about foreign players playing for their national teams and almost never about Team USA.

True, which is why I objected to the patriotism issue when it was first brought up in this thread. It's irrelevant.

Of course, there would be plenty of bitching about Team USA if Timmy kept playing in FIBA events....

Slomo
03-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Got it. The agreements exist because of money.

Think about it this way.

There is a substantial amount of money to made if an NBA club makes a deep playoff run.

What are the chances that the Spurs make a deep playoff run without Tony or Manu?

My point on this side issue, and that's all I believe it is, is that the owner of a franchise with great international player assumes a disproportionately portion of the overall risk associated with FIBA tournaments.

1.- The owner has the choice of not drafting international players. The FIBA clause is there and they know it.

2.- I'm going on a limb here and say that in pure dollars and cents the difference in the pocket of the owner whether the team make the playoffs or not is not that great. So in reality by drafting cheaper players and risking only a small portion of his profits. The decision for the owner, form a pure financial aspect, is pretty easy.

3.- The owners are businessman that don't gamble their profits on the team making the playoffs (let alone a deep run) - too many variables. Believe me their business plan is made for the regular season. Look at the playoffs as an end of year bonus - they're nice, but not essential.

Mel_13
03-12-2011, 05:27 PM
1.- The owner has the choice of not drafting international players. The FIBA clause is there and they know it.

A point I agree with and have made in a slightly different form many times.

2.- I'm going on a limb here and say that in pure dollars and cents the difference in the pocket of the owner whether the team make the playoffs or not is not that great. So in reality by drafting cheaper players and risking only a small portion of his profits. The decision for the owner, form a pure financial aspect, is pretty easy.

3.- The owners are businessman that don't gamble their profits on the team making the playoffs (let alone a deep one) - too many variables. Believe me their business plan is made for the regular season. Look at the playoffs as an end of year bonus - they're nice, but not essential.

FWIW, I've read that each Spurs playoff game improves the bottom line by one million dollars.

Doesn't really matter though. As far as I'm concerned, the insurance requirements are just one element of the larger agreements. We don't need to agree on how well, or poorly, an NBA owner is compensated for the loss of a Manu or a Dirk. His compensation is as per the existing agreements.

I do agree with your general point that the owners are big boys and quite capable of making choices that affect their bottom line, I've said as much in this thread with regard to Holt paying to extend Manu and Tony.

GSH
03-13-2011, 12:07 AM
They can. But I don't like it. So I'm ranting.

My man. :tu

They can. But I don't like it. Pretty much says it all.

Once. Twice maybe. Any more than that, and I'd bitch no matter what country the player was representing.

GSH
03-13-2011, 12:18 AM
BTW - a lot of things are legal. It's legal to burn the flag, too. And I get pissed when people do that. Apparently people have the right to turn the music up in their fucking cars until it rattles the windows in my house. I get pissed about that. It's legal to leave your cell phone on in the theater. It's legal for people to have contracts that pay them millions of dollars to make them go away, even when they get fired for being incompetent. You get the idea.

Don't act like just because someone has a right to do something, we should all applaud them for doing it. Ultimately, the fans pay the bills for the NBA. We fucking SHOULD have SOME influence. Even though we really don't.

smeagol
03-13-2011, 05:49 AM
You don't want International players to play for their NT . . . don't draft them in the first place. Otherwise, STFU and move on . . .

kuato
03-13-2011, 07:07 AM
There is more in basketball player life than NBA, you need to be humble and respect that "overseas shit", you might not like it, but you need to respect it, after all that overseas shit gives Manu and Tony to your team.